Video: Fox’s “Four years of hope and change”; Update: “Not authorized at the senior executive level of the network”

posted at 1:21 pm on May 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I don’t disagree with much, if anything, in this video presented earlier today on Fox & Friends.  Neither, I suspect, will many of our readers.  But does this make anyone uncomfortable at all in regard to its source?  Via Greg Hengler, here is a four-minute Fox News retrospective on Hope and Change:

Note that F&F isn’t just playing a campaign ad or a YouTube spot from an outside political action committee.  Nor does this come from the production company of one of its opinion-program hosts.  The video starts with “Fox and Friends Presents” on the screen, making this an explicit argument from the news channel itself.

Should a news organization produce and publish attack ads like this?  I know the initial response will be that other news organizations offer biased perspectives and hagiographies of Obama that go well beyond a single video … and that response is entirely valid.  However, we usually criticize that kind of behavior with other news organizations, too.  If anyone wanted to look for evidence that the overall Fox News organization intends to campaign against Obama rather than cover the campaign, this video would be difficult to refute as evidence for that claim.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that outside groups and the Romney campaign shouldn’t consider producing something like this on their own.  It makes a pretty powerful argument against another four years of Barack Obama, but that shouldn’t be the job of news-reporting organizations, even when we like the message.

Update: Looks like Fox News pulled the video. I’ll see if they repost it.

Update II: I posted the YouTube of it instead.

Update III, 4:25 PM: I had to put this post aside for a while to work on other stories and my show, but a couple of people tweeted me that Fox Nation still had the video up.  The main page has it as its headline post, but when you click on the link, it’s dead.  Furthermore, the embed video died about 10 minutes after I wrote this post, and I searched the Fox News video site for another 10-15 minutes and could not find it at all there.

Update IV: Twitter follower Jon Eisenberg found a live link at Fox for the video, so I’ll repost it in this update:

One last point: Several people in the comments argue that F&F is an opinion show, and that this is therefore fair game. That would certainly be true if they wanted to play ads run by other organizations as part of their commentary. My point is that this ad was produced by Fox News itself, and it’s clearly intended to campaign against Obama. That’s the problem with this video, and I think it was ill-advised by Fox to have produced and published it. If CBS News produced a four-minute video extolling all of Obama’s accomplishments, or a four-minute video with this dramatic music and animation ripping Romney for his years in Massachusetts and at Bain Capital, we’d be screaming our heads off, and rightly so.

Update V: TV Newser got a statement from Fox VP Bill Shine that hints at some disciplinary action:

“The package that aired on FOX & Friends was created by an associate producer and was not authorized at the senior executive level of the network. This has been addressed with the show’s producers.”

We’ll see; so far, it’s still up on the network’s website.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

don’t like it at all. this is what other channels do. playing right into the “faux news” crowd

taddow on May 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

There are going to be a lot of disappointed journalists at Fox.

John the Libertarian on May 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I kn0w the initial response will be that other news organizations offer biased perspectives and hagiographies of Obama that go well beyond a single video … and that response is entirely valid. However, we usually criticize that kind of behavior with other news organizations, too.

Are we honestly suggesting that until this moment Fox News Channel never had a right-tilt to it in its news coverage?

Good Lt on May 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

LSM outrage in 5….4….3

cmsinaz on May 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

It seems objective to me.

jhffmn on May 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Agree with you Ed. Would like a news source that we can trust to give us unbiased news. I like FNC when I watch news, but didn’t care for their candidate preference during the primaries.

kerrhome on May 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Good Lt on May 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Right tilt — yes. Outright campaigning? Not until now.

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I got an error. “Stream not found”

Paul-Cincy on May 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I can’t get the video to work…

d1carter on May 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Link is not working?

Reality Checker on May 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Love it. The linked ad didn’t work, but I had to sit through a commercial before I learned that.

I hate the internet.

As soon as my kid graduates from college, I’m going off the grid.

BobMbx on May 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

We saw this video this morning. I thought is was great and gave the truth on news they had from bho’s election till now. At least there is one news stations that WILL give the true facts on bho?

You can bet your bippy, YOU would never see this on bhopress stations!
L

letget on May 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Video is gone.

Facts are now an attack?

Scotsman on May 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Right tilt — yes. Outright campaigning? Not until now.

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Can’t watch the video, but isn’t there something refreshing about someone coming out and saying what they see, and believe? And is it really that slanted? Some people WANT Obama to deficit spend out the wazoo. Like Paul Krugman. Krugman might see it as a hagiography. :lol:

Paul-Cincy on May 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Is it truthful? Then it’s fine.

The Rogue Tomato on May 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Right tilt — yes. Outright campaigning? Not until now.

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Well, we’ve agreed on what it is. Now we’re haggling over price, right?

;-)

Good Lt on May 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Sucks when the truth comes out.

ProfShadow on May 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Fox and Friends is considered hard news now? How are Fox & Friends different than O’Reilly or Hannity?

rhombus on May 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Good Lt on May 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Right tilt — yes. Outright campaigning? Not until now.

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

….there isn’t enough tilt to make up for the tilt everywhere else…but Ed’s right…now FOX is a …s l u t!

KOOLAID2 on May 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Bad idea.

bs4948800 on May 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

The video is gone from Fox & Friends page too. Maybe they were put on the hit list?

Greyledge Gal on May 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

They seem to have taken it down, but I caught part of it this morning. I assumed they were playing some PAC web ad to set up a discussion, but I guess not. Probably best to stick with the usual routine.

forest on May 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Saw this and was dumbfounded. Bad move Fox. Very unprofessional, even for Fox & Friends, which is the airhead of the Fox family of programs.

Woody on May 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Fox took it down, but it’s up on YouTube, at least for now. I’ve replaced the video.

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Fox & Friends, for anybody who has not seen it, is not a news program. It’s pretty clear if you watch it where the hosts stand.

Anyway, who cares? Whether or not a “news” organization “should” or “should not” do this or that is one of those “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin” arguments — perhaps fun to contemplate if you have nothing else to do, but hardly of any practical import. What we call “news” is merely entertainment — has been for decades. Time to drop the sanctimony and get on with real life.

mr.blacksheep on May 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Woody on May 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

mankai on May 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

taddow on May 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Yeah, I saw it this morning and didn’t like it either.

While factually correct, the way it’s done makes FOX News appear biased, overall. Something like this belongs on one of their opinion shows like Hannity (not that the left knows the difference).

Plus I thought the production was kind of lame, as though it was made by a high school kid with a $100 video graphics program. It has that glossy, amateurish look.

UltimateBob on May 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Saw the video live this morning and also felt that FNC went too far with the concept. I am sure their editors and producers were giddy when they were creating the piece- but someone should have stepped in and stopped it.

Sure there is bias on the left and plenty of examples of this on MSNBC, Current, and CNN. But this is probably the most biases snippet I have seen in the past year- regardless of ‘truth’ and ‘facts’.

C’mon Fox- you are better than this. Call a spade a spade.

Bensonofben on May 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

“Attack ad”? Really?

SouthernGent on May 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

The standard technique for the mainstream media is to wait for someone else to make the ad that supports their agenda, and then play it fifty times because it’s “news.”

tbrosz on May 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Looks like the proggies’ favorite Nazi stooge George Soros and his lawyers need to schedule another lunch with Roger Ailes.

slickwillie2001 on May 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I had a tingle just watching this video..

Electrongod on May 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Report the Facts…you decide.

kirkill on May 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

“which is the airhead of the Fox family of programs.”

Agreed. Doocy and the Girl gotta get recycled with some new blood.

Bensonofben on May 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

The video is based on facts and thats what will upset the left the most…its all fact. They can’t point to one thing in the video that is untrue.

That being said…they probably shouldn’t have done it.

But I like it…

crazywater on May 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Right tilt — yes. Outright campaigning? Not until now.

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Errr… they have been actively campaigning for many years including large financial donations to the RGA and actively campaigning for a number of GOP candidates.

lexhamfox on May 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I heard Soledad O’Brien is the official BHO campaign coordinator at CNN…can that be true?

d1carter on May 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Am I the only one who is upset about this? If this was 2008-2009, I think that would be a problem. But in 2012, after all we have been through, shouldn’t this be the time we “take the gloves off”?

Bluray on May 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I don’t really consider Fox & Friends hard news so I guess it doesn’t bother me. Shep Smith however is hard news and I do have a problem with him. He will wind up at MSNBC.

Big Orange on May 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

>>Agreed. Doocy and the Girl gotta get recycled with some new blood.<<

Gretchen Carlson is an excellent interviewer when it comes to people like Debbie Downer and the like. Just watch some of her confrontations with DWS, they are classic.

crazywater on May 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

On the other hand, Fox will be getting some exposure on the Daily Show for this, and the kiddies love that show!

:-)

Good Lt on May 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

but that shouldn’t be the job of news-reporting organizations

Huh?

Fox & Friends is an opinion show just like Good Morning America or Today.

I fully expect to see opinion pieces on all of those shows.

ButterflyDragon on May 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Great editing and overlapped voices.

Too back the establishment GOP will never pick up on it.

Jack Deth on May 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

It’s been apparent, for the past 6 years, the Democrats have been out to get Fox News. Obama and his team made it a point to try and remove Fox News from the WHite House Press COrps. Given the tactics used against Fox, I’d say the Democrats were waging war on the only network doing what a free press is supposed to do.

The Democrats deserve much worse than this and, when you take into account what the alphabet networks do to Republicans on a daily basis, this was pretty mild.

bflat879 on May 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM

If MSNBC is constantly running ads defending the President (while implicitely attacking Republicans) or his stimulus bill, why would it be a problem, if FNC decided to run ads criticizinng Dear Liar?

Valkyriepundit on May 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM

It’s made like a campaign commercial, but it’s not one. It doesn’t speak for or against any candidate. Admittedly flashier than it needs to be, but it’s a kind of survey of what Obama said and what he did, in terms of spending and jobs. It’s fair, but the focus is somewhat partisan.

Paul-Cincy on May 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Should a news organization produce and publish attack ads like this? I know the initial response will be that other news organizations offer biased perspectives and hagiographies of Obama that go well beyond a single video … and that response is entirely valid. However, we usually criticize that kind of behavior with other news organizations, too.

If ya cain’t lick’em, join’em!

cartooner on May 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Any program that puts a woman in a short skirt on a couch in front of a camera is NOT hard news. This is hardly something put together by Bret and the gang. F&F should just be considered another entertaining opinion program… this one with legs.

rhombus on May 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I suspect these morning news-ish programs have more influence over elections than the ‘serious’ evening programs. I personally think the Today Show is the most dangerous program on TV because it reaches so many non-political voters with liberal propaganda every morning.

forest on May 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Who are we kidding – no news agency is or has ever been unbiased or “balanced” etc.

It’s arguable that in this case at least Fox is being honest and straightforward about it. This isn’t more egregious than how mainstream morning news shows treated Palin and treat the conservative perspective on a near-daily perspective except they pretend to be neutral and take on the persona of the every-man who just wants to know. How many news and opinion people cite “questions have been raised” and “people want to know” when they are really pushing their own position.

Every news/opinion agency makes decisions every day in what stories they cover and how they cover it – amounting to the same thing that Fox did here they just pretend the stories rise from the ether and they have no choice about what topics they cover and how they are framed.

We shouldn’t encourage these news and opinion agencies into trying to pretend to be something they will never be – we should push for more honesty in what they are doing.

gwelf on May 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Facts are now an attack?

Scotsman on May 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

It’s the background music, mainly, that pushes this into the territory of “attack ad” rather than factually using Obama’s own words & actions. Ed makes a very good point on this coming from Fox, not a Superpac or the Romney campaign.

How much does it matter in the long-run, I don’t know. The Left has been calling Fox “Faux News” with an anti-Dem agenda for a long time before this, but I don’t think Fox going out of its way to “prove them right” was such a smart idea.

Dark Star on May 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Excellent ad! The Truth Hurts some of you, but suck it up!

lhuffman34 on May 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Valkyriepundit on May 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM

This.

MSNBC is the all day Obama campaign channel.

dogsoldier on May 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM

While I tend to watch Fox News as opposed to the other Obama propaganda channels masquerading as news, I’m not sure it is any more news than MSNBC or CNN. So this is hardly a suprise to me, even though I agree with the video.

There is no more news in the real and traditional sense. There is only viewpoints and spin. What once was known as “news” has gone the way of the dodo, and probably unlikely to ever return… mores the pity.

gravityman on May 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Youtube version.

The Rogue Tomato on May 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

forest on May 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Agreed. I haven’t seen the Today Show in years but I assume nothing has changed.

d1carter on May 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

LOL Facts are hard! Great video!

Tim_B on May 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I’m torn on this. They seem to be reporting fact, and comparing what was promised against what was delivered. I can see how it can be viewed as a campaign ad,however, I think we’re living in extraordinary times. Fox is a news organization, but obviously a business first. If they feel their business would be threatened by a second Obama term (as all businesses should fear) then they also have a special interest. As a special interest group, they’re using their clout to ensure their message is heard, as all special interest groups do.

I don’t know. I think I’m resigned to the fact that all news organizations have dropped any pretenses of objectivity, and Fox News has to fight their battle with that in mind.

Another thought: If they just merely reported verbally, what Obama said, vs. what he delivered, would that be construed as an attack ad? Or simply, news.

devil dog on May 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Just the facts maam.

Reality Checker on May 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM

They should have called it “Four Years of Promises and Failure” then, it would be an attack ad.

devil dog on May 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I’ve noticed that Fox lacks coherent editorial control more and more these days. On the more opinion based shows (Hannity, O’Reilly etc.) they understandably give them free rein to say or do pretty much what they want. But that’s spilling over into more of their ‘harder’ news, and in a pretty haphazard way.

No, I don’t think Fox publishing attack ads does them any favors at all.

Chris Wallace and his Producer do a fine job on Fox News Sunday. But some of the others…well, a firmer hand is needed.

MSNBC makes no pretense at being fair and balanced. Fox does and at the moment is looks ill-disciplined and sometimes incoherent.

CorporatePiggy on May 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Nope, doesn’t bother me. It was Obama in his own words. Even he says this is a moment in history and a pivotal time, sooo, it’s fair game to evaluate him on his record. We’re just not use to seeing it done…THAT’S how use to the lib slant we are. Sad. It’s now shocking to us to see evaluations of his record which don’t apologize or otherwise defuse.

Minorcan Maven on May 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I stopped watching Fox during the primaries got sick and tired of all the Romney-fawning.

kringeesmom on May 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Just consider this video an expose, like a 60 Minutes segment, providing valuable information to the viewer comparing Obama’s rhetoric with Obama’s results.

OxyCon on May 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Mittens needs to hire the person who put that together. I agree that it definitely crosses the line into outright campaigning, but should FNC play by a different set of rules. The rest of the media outright campaigns for Obama and smears Republicans. I am bothered more by the fact that all the media is agenda driven and that is dangerous in a country of moos who believe things are true if they say so.Overall though, they shouldn’t have gone this far.

Southernblogger on May 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM

People are squeamish because it’s a very stinging piece. Is it Fox’s fault that stringing a bunch of facts together is damaging to the president? Perhaps they should have watered it down a little. So it hurts less. Because that’s what you should do with facts.

OK, maybe the music was a little much.

taternuggets on May 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Do you think any Lefties ever question the MSM?

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Minorcan Maven on May 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Agreed. That’s the thought I was searching for, but couldn’t articulate. We’re not used to seeing a news organization report the President’s failures so succinctly.

devil dog on May 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM

The CBO and Wall Street analysts predicted $1 tril in structural deficits in the wake of the near collapse of the financial system and asset bubble. Yet the Glenn Beck geniuses remain surprised that the deficit increased whatsoever after 8 years of irresponsible tax cuts matched by new spending without any source of matching new revenue.

As for the images, note that the size of the $15 tril bag is literally 2-3 times the size of the $10 tril bag. Does Fox have trouble with math in providing ‘fair and balanced’ coverage?

bayam on May 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I have no problem with the concept. But the video wasn’t very good, IMO.

The Rogue Tomato on May 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Good video

Should have been with karl or mitts group

Lsm expecting a renouncement in 5…4…3

cmsinaz on May 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM

The only non-truthful part was the debt. It was actually 10.6 trillion when Obama took office. Fox showed it as 10 trillion. To make a great video tell the truth. We don’t need to make Obama look worse with a small lie.

Tell the truth & it still shows Obama as the worse president The United States of America has ever seen.

Conservative4Ever on May 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I don’t care what Fox does at this point.

Obama needs to be pushed out in November, and it doesn’t matter to me what it takes to do it. The Dems, and esp our Thug in Chief, play so dirty that there is not even a name for it in the dictionary. We are always supposed to “not lower ourselves to their level.” Well, this is probably the most important campaign in American history.

Take out Obama, no matter what it takes to do so. There is nothing in the piece that is untrue. So be it.

In the meantime, Former Terrorist Fundraiser Faiz Shakir to be Pelosi’s Senior Advisor — Let’s talk about something more important. Why is it that Canada is?

so-notbuyingit on May 30, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I definitely see your take Ed but it’s time to take the gloves off…he has TRASHED Fox at every turn…somebody decided it’s time to fight back. Afterall it’s the country that’s a stake!!!!!

winston on May 30, 2012 at 2:06 PM

devil dog on May 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Sad isn’t it? It takes some work now to not only stay informed, but think clearly and not let the slant impact us.

Minorcan Maven on May 30, 2012 at 2:06 PM

bayam on May 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

So the issue isn’t that we’re 15+ Trillion in debt with “unending” 1+ Trillion yearly deficits in sight that can never be paid for via taxation but in how Fox news chose to present these facts and that Booooosh spent to much money too?

Irresponsible tax cuts? Stop pretending that American citizens can actually pay for the current level of federal spending. We can’t.

gwelf on May 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM

rhombus on May 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Have any of the folks upset by this even watched F&F?

To say it’s pure juornalism and not outright opinion like Good Morning America is an extreme stretch..

If they had shown this during the regular news hours with one of their brand news journalists.. a valid point..

I didn’t see it.. nor plan too.

To my mind this is like saying showing it on Hannity was over the top.

The optics are only bad if you already had an ax to grind with FOX or are worried the left wing media will play the born again virgin and whine about it.

if it’s a sin against journalism.. it’s a bandaid one compared to the gushing arteries on CNN MSNBC NBC CBS and ABC. All of whom can be counted on to lead with the Obama campaign talking points every day.

If the consensus is they should never do it again.. fine.. but I cannot get upset about this much. After being ball batted by the MSM for decades.. but especially since 08.. I think I can be forgiven not being anything but a man on the street for not seeing the terrible offense here.

and any network that has Shep and Geraldo can hardly be totally right wing.

mark81150 on May 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM

A little overwrought with the music and such, but the facts are the facts.

ElectricPhase on May 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Yeah, we criticized that behavior and where does it get us. Does it make us feel good? I say it’s about time.

At least they were up front with their bias and the video was truthful. You can’t beat these guys by being sniffing that we are better than them. You have to fight them with the same tactics they use. If it defeats Obama and his agenda, I’m all for it and my conscience wouldn’t bother me a bit.

Vince on May 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM

If they had killed the music, cut the intro, toned down the overblown drama, and just reported the facts of the piece I think that would have been fine.

As it is, this is a full-blown campaign ad that should have shown on Hannity or Huckabee – - not F&F.

With that said, whould we have been surprised had something like this against Romeny was produced by Good Morning America?

I don’t think so … but we would have raised hell if they had.

Rod on May 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Apparently Megyn Kelly is cueing this up for another run on her show…. uh oh- they are doubling down on this.

Bensonofben on May 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Earthquakes!

ITguy on May 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Yes it comes across as a campaign ad and no it doesnt bother me. People who think fox news is buased and call it faux news will do that reguardless of how fair they try to be. Im for all hands on deck in defeating Obama this Nov. The countrys going over a cliff with him

ldbgcoleman on May 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Should a news organization produce and publish attack ads like this?

Yes, everyone knows the media is biased, mostly to the left, but some to the right and it’s time to quit pretending otherwise.

clearbluesky on May 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM

So although MSNBC is a water carrier for Obama- they do make the mistake of bringing on conservatives occassionally. For example Morning Joe had Dan Senor on this morning surrounded by liberals, and he slaughtered them pointing out their hypocrisy and weak talking points. Carl Bernstein called Romney’s Bain ad as a ‘cheap shot’ and ‘opportunistic.’

Senor hit back by reminding him that, on the same day the Obama campaign launched an anti-Bain ad, the President was attending an event at the home of the president of the Blackstone Group. Hysterical.

Bensonofben on May 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Not many people watch fox and friends anyway except Jon Stewart’s writers. They can get a full show of material out of those idiots every day.

flstc on May 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Everything in the video is true.That said, even Fox and Friends parrot the Fox News line of “fair and balanced”.So unless they are planning to air a video of Romney’s flips and flops tomorrow,this smacks of the same MSM bias we have been complaining about for years.

redware on May 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Note that F&F isn’t just playing a campaign ad or a YouTube spot from an outside political action committee. Nor does this come from the production company of one of its opinion-program hosts. The video starts with “Fox and Friends Presents” on the screen, making this an explicit argument from the news channel itself.

Should a news organization produce and publish attack ads like this?

posted at 1:21 pm on May 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Well, to be fair…Fox News is not a ‘news organization’.
It’s just this example that crosses the line for you, Ed?
The false narrative that FNC is somehow a counterpoint to said bias at the networks, CNN etc. is laughable to anyone not ideologically driven enough to feel the end justifies the means…e.g. Roger Ailes.
Even Chris Wallace can’t keep a straight face for that line.

verbaluce on May 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I voted for Romney in the Tx primaries yesterday. I watch FOX NEWS constantly. I have had arguments and message board wars defending FOX NEWS but this in indefensible. I believe in their motto “FAIR & BALANCED” because they give voice to the oft ignored conservative. This piece was outright a campaign ad against Obama.

I was getting ready for work when I saw this this morning and I sat there shocked. I agree with everything the video says but how in the world can they call themselves ” balanced” after this. This was a HUGE mistake!

Jason Alexander on May 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

What’s more embarrassing or unprofessional?
A Fox morning show owning up to the bias in it’s content or all the rest of the media pretending it doesn’t have bias while pushing a liberal agenda and carrying water for Obama?

gwelf on May 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM

This just plays into the Lefts and MSM’s hate of FOX. I remember thinking this is like something MSNBC would do for Obama or against Romney.

Jason Alexander on May 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM

rhombus on May 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

..I take your point, but don’t be a child. How often does JuugEarz go on morning shows and get tongue bathed from the knee-pad MSM or lap dances from the cackling hens on The View?

Romney or a nefarious R-PAC should just buy the rights from Fox and run it as a campaign ad. It’s a stunning visual indictment of that fool’s vapid, empty promises.

(The You Tube’s going up on my blog now; that ought to bring in another two or three viewers.)

The War Planner on May 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM

But does this make anyone uncomfortable at all in regard to its source?

No! Lets get rid of the double standard. If in 2004 ABC News can inform their reporters that they can treat the two candidates differently (meaning stick it to Bush but lay off Kerry) then this is acceptable. If in 2008 the media can go through the months of campaigning without vetting media, then this is acceptable. If the WaPo can write a meaningless 2500 word “story” on some event that purportedly (never proven) happened in 1968, then this is acceptable.

More to the point, there was not one thing in that presentation that was not factually true which is a hell of a lot more than can be said when organizations use accounting tricks to make the claim that Obama isn’t a big spender.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM

bayam on May 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

uh no.. tax cuts cause revenue to increase.. proven by the treasury’s own stats..

According to US Treasury statistics, for example, the 1982 tax act increased revenues by $130 billion in its first four years – after tax rates were cut dramatically. The 1984 Deficit Reduction Act increased tax collections by $72 billion in the four years after taxes were cut again. The bulk of these revenue increases came from the wealthiest Americans. This should not have been a surprise.

Across-the-board tax cuts had been implemented in the 1920s as the Mellon tax cuts, and in the 1960s as the Kennedy tax cuts. In both cases the reduction of high marginal tax rates actually increased tax payments by “the rich,” and also increased their share of total individual income taxes paid. According to the IRS in 1981 the top 1 percent of income earners paid 17.6 percent of all personal income taxes, but by 1988 their share had jumped to 27.5 percent – after the top tax rate had been cut from 69.13% in 1981 to 28% in 1988.

democrats ignore that spending never remained at the lower levels from when the cuts were enacted.. but that Congress merely exploded new spending.. a dirty lie which the democrats never acknowledge.. they also used tax cuts to raise revenue and spur the economy under JFK..

was he an evil republican?

Both parties went on a spending binge.. only one seems to have learned from that.. that you have to keep spending low to enable the increase to matter.. but Congress has never found revenue it refused to spend on votes.

The basics.. sell a lemonade for a buck.. and make ten sales..

make it 50 cents and sell 25 to 30.. the end result is higher revenue.. something only academics and leftist ideologs never understand. But every kid who had a lemonade stand learned.

The dem response is.. hey.. ten bucks.. let’s make it 2 bucks a glass…. and when sales drop to two glasses.. the typical libedral response is to double down and make it 2.50… boy that’ll work…

Instinctive to anyone..

but a liberal.

mark81150 on May 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Be interesting to see Team Barry attack the ad. Knowing full well that Fox would come right back with excerpts of worship for The Chosen One from MSNBC, The View, etc

GarandFan on May 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM

oops..

limk..http://www.carverfinancialservices.com/blog/?p=180

mark81150 on May 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I see nothing wrong with it. I happen to agree with the above poster who said it was time to take the gloves off! I’m sick of us trying to take the moral high road…and getting screwed by doing so. At this point do whatever it takes to get this president booted out of office in November.

maables on May 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Why are we so concerned about following Queensbury rules when the libs are throwing dirt in our eyes and kicking us in the junk?

Balance and fairness – whatever these mean – is not present in any media organization. Fair and balanced in reference to Fox is more of a marketing scheme and an indication that even though they have a bias they allow more of the other side to speak than any other organization.

gwelf on May 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I don’t see any problem with F&F doing a little investigative journalling and reporting the results. Sometimes reality sucks and the choomer-in-chief definitely does…

RedInMD on May 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Jason Alexander on May 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM

And it is high time that they get a taste of their own practices. There was nothing factually wrong with that clip.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM