Republicans, Democrats agree: No one cares about Obama’s to-do list

posted at 12:01 pm on May 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Chief executives are never entirely irrelevant, whether they are governors or Presidents.  They have too much significance and can cause too many problems to be altogether meaningless in the political process.  Once they begin to appear irrelevant, though, Presidents and governors almost never recover their political relevancy.  In that sense, today’s Roll Call article on the fate of Barack Obama’s legislative “to-do list” should have the White House very worried, as neither Republicans nor Democrats demonstrate much interest in Obama’s legislative priorities — or even seem to know what they are:

In the meantime, several Senators confessed to Roll Call that they don’t know what is on the to-do list anyway, despite several speeches in which Obama has urged his followers to tweet, call, write and email lawmakers urging them to take it up.

“Didn’t we do some things he wanted us to do?” asked Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.). “[Export-Import] Bank, that doesn’t count? That wasn’t on the to-do list?”

No. The president wanted that, too, but it’s not on the list.

“Do you have a copy of the to-do list?” Landrieu asked.

After a reporter told her what was on the list, she quipped, “We’re adding to that list by doing some great things.”

“I don’t have a copy of it; I’m sure my staff does,” said Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.), when asked when the Senate might get to it.

“We’ve got June, July. We’ve got some time. What time frame did he put on that to-do list?”

When told the president said the to-do list could be done “now,” Casey joked, “Now is a very expansive term. It’s not even the summer yet.“

“Didn’t we just try to move on student loans. Wasn’t that on his list?” asked Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.).

No, that’s a separate priority.

“You’d have to ask Harry Reid” why the list hasn’t moved, Levin said.

All three of these examples, it should be noted, are members of Obama’s own political party.  They control the Senate, which means that the President’s legislative agenda should have no problem getting to the floor, unless it’s so out of step with reality that no one wants to move it.  In this case, it appears at least so far out of step with his own Democratic allies that they haven’t bothered to learn it.  Not only that, but clearly Obama’s stump-speech exhortations to support his agenda are failing miserably at getting a response.

Obama has no one but himself to blame for this irrelevancy.  He set the stage himself with two successive budgets that were so ridiculously burdened with debt that neither got a single vote in three separate attempts — not even from anyone in his own party.  In a parliamentary system, that would have forced a resignation from the head of government.  In our system, it sends a pretty clear signal that the White House has no real clue about the political temperature in either party, and as such have made themselves largely irrelevant in the budgeting process. Budget agreements now get made between John Boehner and Harry Reid thanks to Obama’s ridiculous offerings on spending, and Obama would have to sign whatever comes out of those negotiations or take the blame on himself for a shutdown.

We saw this happen at the state level in Minnesota a decade ago.  Jesse Ventura became so detached from the governance of the state that Republicans and Democrats united to pass veto-proof budgets, effectively cutting the governor out of the loop and making him a figurehead.  That won’t happen in Congress, especially not in an election year, but the lack of interest in Obama’s priorities among Democrats and Republicans alike show that the level of Obama’s irrelevance to governance is increasing, not decreasing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Me??? I am not the one moaning and bit$8ing all day about how Obama did XYZ. Then again, most of you are probably losers looking to blame everyone else for your fu$k ups.

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

At least we ARE paying attention to what he says and does.
Seems to me that the mucky mucks of his own party could care less.

Jabberwock on May 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I wonder how you people function in life with this much hate.

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I am not joking, dead serious.

Seek medical attention NOW

Symptoms:

Delusional – you continue to believe The Won is something other than a Chicago Machine empty suit.

Paranoia – you are seeing the disdain people have for The Won as hate.

Superiority syndrome – you believe everyone who disagrees with you is beneath you.symptoms

The good news is your doctor (who is going to TELL you he/she agrees with you) is seeing a fair amount of these and will want to get you started on medication before Obamacare deems it unnecessary.

PolAgnostic on May 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

PolAgnostic, he/she is from NYC’s Upper East Side. As a former resident of NYC myself, what you’re seeing is a victim of brainwashing, group think, mass psychosis, etc. He/she believes that these comments are rational responses. No amount of therapy will help. In fact, many therapists are left leaning and will congratulate Uppereastside on being a lefty. The only help is living away from a major urban area and interacting with conservatives over a long period of time. Then, just maybe, Uppereastside might want to rethink his/her insane views.

Gladtobehere on May 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Obama’s to-do list ……..

1. Start packing
2. Finish packing

fogw on May 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Nahhh! I am not mad “bro”.

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

You sure?

You sound angry. And we care about you and stuff.

bigmacdaddy on May 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

You are aware that this is a political blog, and that Obama is the president, and as such, he is going to tend to be a topic of discussion, right?

Also, didn’t you tell me to “suck a d*ck” a little while back because I expressed bemusement over your assertion that Romney wouldn’t have the guts to allow the military to kill Bin Laden? If I didn’t know better, I might have interpreted that as just a tad hateful.

Hmmm, maybe saying that was just one of your “fu$k ups”, and now you’re looking to blame someone else.

RINO in Name Only on May 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Please! I keep telling you, anywhere but HERE! Send him to Timbuktu for all I care, just not back here!

herm2416 on May 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

lol….it’s Chicago herm….what’s one more corrupt, high-level Dem sleazebag?

I live in Southern Cali…..I feel your pain.

Tim_CA on May 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM

!!!!!

herm2416 on May 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

… there have been screw-ups. You can outrun the cop’s car, but never the car’s radio … never trust chicks named Holly … “just do it” is probably, in retrospect, Satan’s motto, ’cause it’s about the worst advice you can give or take … um

I blame myself for those.

I’m going to go ahead and blame Obama for his screw-ups, though.

Axe on May 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I didn’t even know that Obama had a “to do” list. It’s hard enough to keep track of all the actual dumb cr@p that comes out of this white house. I don’t see how we’re supposed to pay attention to all the stupid gimmicks as well.

Next thing, he’ll be upset that we don’t read his blog.

RINO in Name Only on May 30, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

That is the cornerstone of the liberal lifestyle. We would never want to take that away from you.

NapaConservative on May 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

The reason I “moan” about Obama is because, as a businessman, I’m confronted every day by how he impales our economy with bigger government. My customers and prospects feel it, and I hear their stories.

Also, you misspelled “bitching.”

beatcanvas on May 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Leaks show these items to be on his list:
1. Deplete the U.S. Treasury.
2. Destroy our relations with all other free nations.
3. Show our flexibility to Moscow.
4. Prevent expansion of energy production.
5. Borrow money from China until they refuse to loan more.
6. Gin up racial strife.
7. Prevent restructuring to make government more efficient.
8. Hire as many socialist czars as possible.

maryo on May 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

That’s rich. A liberal claiming conservatives, who trumpet the ideology of personal responsibility, blames everyone else. I bet that this is Bush’s fault, too. With liberals, it is ALWAYS someone else’s fault.

search4truth on May 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I wonder how you people function in life with this much hate.
Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

It’s not hate; it’s contempt.

Cleombrotus on May 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM

An excellent and important post. Coupled with obama’s desperate, lying attacks on Romney, I’m sensing an imminent collapse of obama’s credibility among the general population.

paul1149 on May 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Gladtobehere on May 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Comes from not having to take out your own trash. That, and never seeing the stars at night.

Cleombrotus on May 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM

@Rino:

didn’t even know that Obama had a “to do” list.

He doesn’t- lil’ preezy training pants filled one out for Congress. He certainly didn’t assign himself anything to accomplish, that’d get in the way of golf, wagyu beef, partying, chooming, etc.

GrassMudHorsey on May 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I’m going to go ahead and blame Obama for his screw-ups, though.

Axe on May 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

What? You not satisfied with The 0 Economy™. Good to see you all the same. ; )

Bmore on May 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I wonder how you people function in life with this much hate.
Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

It’s not hate; it’s contempt.

Cleombrotus on May 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM

PERFECT, absolutely perfect, description!

herm2416 on May 30, 2012 at 2:38 PM

What? You not satisfied with The 0 Economy™. Good to see you all the same. ; )

Bmore on May 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Hi Bmore! I’m all long-weekending. I see the fort is being held. :) I was going to catch-up, but … what with Obama going away, everybody seems to be looking forward to their own lives again. A little quiet, and extra trolly.

Axe on May 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Axe on May 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Axe, good to hear you taking a break, well deserved no doubt. If you get a chance QOTD. ; )

Bmore on May 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM

you, s/b you’re

Bmore on May 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM

The first thing on his to-do list when he got elected is the same thing on all of the to-do lists in Washington.

Get Re-elected.

flstc on May 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I just blame bush for budgets I signed in March of 2009… see, problem solved, just blame someone else.

OH wait, it was Obama who did that.. and decided the budget HE SIGNED wasn’t his responsibility and must have been someone else.

But hey, you worry about what commenters might be doing somewhere; not what we can provably show the President of the Unites State actually doing.

I mean because commenters at HotAir are more important than the POTUS now.

Or is there some other reason you’re focused more on random people than the President for this claim?

Ok then, I’ve shown the President blames Bush for his own personal actions, and bills and budgets Obama personally signed.

Your turn… you show where I blame others for my shortcomings. Since you now think commenters at HotAir are as (or more)important than the President of the United States.

I’d worry about you finding decent research on me, but since I’m more important than the President I’m sure you’ll find a lot… right?

gekkobear on May 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Gladtobehere on May 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Cleombrotus on May 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM

It comes partly from a system where the media and the educational system are controlled by the left. There’s also too much pride in living in one of the major cities in the world and that makes residents think that they can do anything and get away with it. This might sound familiar: Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

BTW, one of my best memories of NYC occurred several decades ago when I was in an airplane flying over Manhattan at night. The city was all lit up on a clear night, and from a height of a few thousand feet, Manhattan, and the bridges into it, looked to me like the jeweled city of Oz. It’s a shame about all the crazy leftism. Uppereastside is fairly typical of a significant portion of NYC’s population.

Gladtobehere on May 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Uppereastside on May 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

You say you’re not mad, but you sure seem mad.

Night Owl on May 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM

In the future, if this country is to survive as a sovereign nation, people like obama and his scumbag progressive socialist defenders (entitlement freaks with the permanent hands out position as well as their elitist power monger masters) need to be pushed to the side precisely because their socialist progressive liberalism IS irrelevant as well as detrimental to society as a whole.

As far as hate goes, if it’s directed at the socialist leftists it’s well placed hate. It’s not like the rest of us haven’t realized a long time ago that the leftists hate those that subscribe to the tenets of individual freedom and personal responsibility, something millions of Americans have died defending on these leftists behalf. The ironic part of this will come when freedom is taken from the left wing dumbasses by their elite masters, and they wail and gnash their teeth demanding everyone defend them and the rights they pissed on their entire lives. The irrelevant will then be ignored, as they should be.

Not very compassionate sounding, I know. The left and their hatred for this country and it’s founding principles has worn any compassion away I might have had left for them.

Wolfmoon on May 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

You say you’re not mad, but you sure seem mad.

Night Owl on May 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Might be the stuck dollar sign. Stuck keys make some people mad.

Shorts might help. it’s easier to relax in shorts. Or he could go watch Love Boat or something … order a pizza.

Axe on May 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Lame Dunce…

RalphyBoy on May 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Cleombrotus on May 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Gladtobehere on May 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Well, that’s what I meant by not being able to see the stars at night. They forget how small they really are and Who’s really in charge.

Remember that song, I Hope You Dance? “Do you still feel small when you stand next to the ocean?”

Cleombrotus on May 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Axe on May 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Heh.

Cleombrotus on May 30, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Might be the stuck dollar sign. Stuck keys make some people mad.

Axe on May 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I was away for a few days and when I come back, it seems like all the liberals are almost hysterical. Some of them are incoherent. LOL

Night Owl on May 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM

This is pretty damning, and it would be good to take a wider poll.

It may be that they are turning the corner. They know everything on his list was a failure so they don’t have the stomach for more.

Once they get in campaign mode, they’ll have to more explicitly separate themselves from his failures, but there’s nothing to be gained right now by attracting more voter criticism by piling on to his agenda.

They seem to be standing by while he burns himself up with Catholics, black clergy, businessmen and now Polish prime ministers.

virgo on May 31, 2012 at 3:15 AM

It’s simple. This is a fight about governing philosophy. Philosophy informs and forms the basis for policy.

Got TEA?