Quotes of the day

posted at 10:33 pm on May 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

The Obama campaign is opening a new front in its war against GOP rival Mitt Romney, ABC News has learned, with planned attacks to begin this week on Romney’s record as governor of Massachusetts and the campaign promises Democrats say he left unfulfilled.

Team Obama will point to Romney’s rhetoric on job creation, size of government, education, deficits and taxes during the 2002 gubernatorial campaign and draw parallels with his presidential stump speeches of 2012. The goal is to illustrate that Romney has made the same promises before with unimpressive results, officials say…

The strategy is a shifting of gears for Team Obama which had spent the past few weeks hammering Romney for his business record at Bain Capital. The attacks had come under fire from some Democrats as being possibly too negative, too soon, while Republicans decried what they called a double standard for Obama’s treatment of private equity executives.

***

Ah, charges of unfulfilled promises from President Barack “If I don’t have this done in three years, then this is going to be a one-term proposition” Obama, the man who pledged who cut the deficit in half in his first term, the man who criticized Hillary Clinton’s proposal for a mandate requiring Americans to purchase health insurance, is going to hit his opponent on broken promises.

Four years ago this week, Obama said — with profound humility, he assured us — that future generations would look back and say, “this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick, and jobs for the jobless, this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow, and the earth began to heal . . .” and now he tells us to beware of politicians bearing grandiose promises.

Obama 2012: Stick with the broken promises you know.

***

“C’mon. Let’s get real,” an exasperated David Axelrod, Obama’s top campaign strategist, said when asked if Obama’s attacks are boomeranging. “Romney’s been beating us up in a very direct and personal way for a year. This is a guy who’s offering himself to the country as a kind of economic savior, as a wizard. It behooves us to pull the curtain back, and that’s what we’re going to do.”…

But several top Democrats interviewed by POLITICO said Obama’s recent attacks — including his long defense, at a press conference in Chicago last week, of his decision to target Bain — may further damage a hope-and-change persona already dented by three years of partisan combat and economic turmoil…

“Obama’s got this Reagan thing going, the 1983, 1984 dynamic — he’s personally popular even though people aren’t personally enthralled with his policies or performance,” said Frank Luntz, a veteran Republican pollster who thinks Romney’s lack of personal appeal guarantees a deadlocked race until the end. “But his campaign has gone very negative, and at some point, people are going to stop giving him the benefit of the doubt.”…

“The danger for Obama in these attacks on Romney is that he starts sounding like other pols, and people just start hitting the ‘mute’ button,” [Peter Brown] added. “When you stand behind the glass and watch a focus group, you hear independents say things like, ‘He seems like a nice guy, but why is he throwing all of these shots at Romney?’”

***

The picture Heilemann draws is of [Obama] campaign managers whose assumptions have been proved wrong and who seem to be fooling themselves about what will work in the campaign.

One assumption that has been proved wrong is that the Obama campaign would raise $1 billion and that, as in 2008, far more money would be spent for Democrats than Republicans…

As for fooling themselves, I have to wonder whether the Obama people were spoofing Heilemann at points. He quotes Plouffe as saying. “Let’s be clear what [Romney] would do as president,” and then summarizes: “Potentially abortion will be criminalized. Women will be denied contraceptive services. He’s far right on immigration. He supports efforts to amend the Constitution to ban gay marriage.”

These claims don’t seem sustainable to me.

***

Obama wants to cast Romney as a return to Bush. It’s nearly the only argument he knows how to make. Romney, in my opinion, should turn the tables on Obama and make Obama defend his continuation of Bush’s spending binge (If Romney wanted to be really cruel, he could make the case Obama has continued many of Bush’s counter-terror policies as well). Romney has the luxury of being the outsider. He can criticize both parties’ records over the last decade. The tea parties won’t complain. Neither will independents. And, so long as Romney is respectful in how he frames his criticisms of GOP spending under Bush, most rank and file Republicans and movement conservatives will probably applaud as well.

Meanwhile, watching Obama try to deal with an “anti-Bush” opponent will hilarious.

***

***

“They are going after Solyndra,” he continued. “Americans don’t care. I’m sorry. I care about Solyndra, you care about Solyndra. Americans don’t care about Solyndra any more than they care about what Mitt Romney did 87 years ago with Bain Capital. They care about getting back to work, Carl. That’s a stupid ad.”

Bernstein agreed, adding that the ad reflects who Romney is: an opportunist.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Goodnight, OC.

Again, my condolences on your loss of Loraine.

4Grace on May 31, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Thanks. We really loved her…

OmahaConservative on May 31, 2012 at 2:11 AM

looks like there’s some interesting stuff, and all of it can be used against Maobama.

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:09 AM

CAN be used, but WILL it be used??? (fingers crossed)

4Grace on May 31, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Very good article on football and why the players choose to take the risks to play — which means everyone should stop whining about it.

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I dunno Grace, given Romney already “repudiated” people like myself for wanting to talk about rev.Wright I doubt it’ll be used.

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:12 AM

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Yeah, that was my thinking. Actually, there are a lot of things that I would prefer the PACS handle. Gives Romney more time to focus on jobs and economy.

4Grace on May 31, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Oh, and there was the article where Romney’s people said they are not going to continue this Repudiation Game that the left sets upon us. Good on them if that’s the case. The said they learned from McCain’s mistakes on this subject. Hope that’s true!

4Grace on May 31, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Grace, I personally think that ROmney should mention the Wright thing himself as well as the Ayers, Van Jones, Carol BRowner, and recently giving the Medal of Freedom to an American hating socialist. I don’t like smearing, but this is telling the truth and Americans deserve to know.

However if Romney doesn’t want to, then at least let the PACS do it like you said. The problem is Romney repudiated even the idea of a PAC possibly bringing up Wright. Now Romney has taken the issue completely off the table for the rest of the campaign!

It’s very frustrating!

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM

It’s very frustrating!

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM

It is frustrating. Like so many at this site, Romney was not my pick. To be honest, I was not over the moon for any of our candidates. They all had good & bad, but no one made me go, “Wow, THAT’S my candidate. However, I said from day one, that I would fully support our candidate because it is just that important to rid this country of Mr. O.

All that being said, I am also among those here that has been pleasantly surprised by Mitt and his team. All of us will have to hold their feet to the fire; keep them honest and on the Right path. It will get sooo ugly in the coming months, but I remain cautiously optimistic.

4Grace on May 31, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Grace, I was a Palin fan at first (and still admire her). I was pretty upset when she declined to run last Oct, then I supported Cain.

Funny thing was Cain was the first pol I ever donated to and even ordered some yard signs. I went home for a week over Thanksgiving and by the time I got back my yard signs had arrived by Cain had already dropped out due to the smears.

Then I supported Bachmann but she never had a chance (funny real conservatives don’t seem to have a shot but the most radical leftist ever became POTUS).

Then I supported Santorum in an effort to stop Romney. Basically I wanted someone who stuck to core conservative principles such as not supporting the mandate, not believing in global warming, and didn’t support TARP/crony capitalism.

But the primary is now over and as much as a big gov’t Repubican that Romney is he’s still NOT a Marxist.

I’m even thinking of ordering some bumper stickers and yard signs to show some support and irritate the libs.

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:35 AM

This old gal is fading fast. Enjoyed the chat, LF.

Goodnight all.

4Grace on May 31, 2012 at 2:35 AM

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:35 AM

That’s it in a nutshell. For all of his faults, I do not doubt Romney’s love of our country and his commitment to our allies.

4Grace on May 31, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I agree Grace, nice chatting, good night.

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:39 AM

One would think someone like obama would be reluctant to talk about their political record, but with him opening the door in an attack on Romney I think it’s pretty much going to be a slam dunk for Romney.

You’d have to be a pretty horrific governor to be worse than obama has been as president, half a senator, less than half a state legislator, and before that nothing but a corrupt local player sucking resources out of the system and producing nothing but a bank account for commies and terrorists.

Of course, to a liberal progressive socialist like obama, anything not done to grow the government and entitlements would make anyone less than a commie a bad guy. Mitt wasn’t my first choice as a candidate, but he blows this worthless choomhead out of the water before the argument even starts.

I just hope Americans are waking up to the fact that he’s not going to make things better for them…unless they think the communists and socialists around the world have done such great things for their people. (shakes head) Can’t believe people are this stupid.

Wolfmoon on May 31, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Heh, sorta like those vampire guys in the movies?

Don L on May 31, 2012 at 3:45 AM

If anyone over there on the night side is still up and interested, SpaceX Dragon is in the process of departing the International Space Station.

Live ideo coverage here.

DarkCurrent on May 31, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Good Morning!

morning joe, he just doesn’t get it….

keep drinking the msdnc kool-aid there bub

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 6:38 AM

The Donkeys, like his primary opponents, are using the same, bogus arguments against Mitt. First the Bain bomb was a big dud. Now, they want to talk about jobs in MA.

A little context helps

The unemployment rate in Massachusetts had doubled from January 2001 to January 2003, the year Romney took office, and was continuing to increase at a fast rate. He implemented pro-growth policies and programs. By summer the increase in unemployment had stopped and by fall unemployment was dropping. [13] While Massachusetts was 50th, or nearly the worst in the nation in the increase in unemployment rates the year that just ended when he took office, he got it down to 38th place by the end of his first year in office. [14] The unemployment rate continued to rapidly drop for nearly two years, hit a plateau for about a year and a half, then started dropping again at the end of his term of office (see chart below). The year he left office (2007), the trend in Massachusetts’ unemployment rate was 12th in the nation [15], a big improvement from the 50th place it was in the year he won office.

The fact is that MA was failing and Mitt kept it from becoming Greece at the hands of the liberal rulers. It didn’t work out so well for Newt and co, and it won’t work any better for Obamandias.

MJBrutus on May 31, 2012 at 6:39 AM

OT: W and Laura at the WH today, I’m sure Obama will be his usual classy self…..not

let the bashing of W begin by the lsm in short order

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 6:40 AM

MJBrutus on May 31, 2012 at 6:39 AM

good one MJB

however, you know the dems with the lsm help will take all of it out of context and keep bringing up 47th out of 50 ad nauseum…

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 6:41 AM

and up now…morning joe talking with the current gov of mass bashing mitt as governor…and the 47th out of 50th meme begins anew….

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 6:47 AM

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 2:35 AM

That’s beyond what I’m willing to do, but I think it would be hypocritical of me to actively support Mittens when I intend to vote for him, yet seek to have him replaced by a Conservative as quickly as possible. Of course, irritating the libs is always a plus, so you definitely have that going for you.

SKYFOX on May 31, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I don’t think Mitt will be a great president, but I think he can be a decent direction changer for the country…Smart enough for the economy but not so dominating as to piss everyone of as much as the one.

tomas on May 31, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Obama wants to cast Romney as a return to Bush.

The Bush that averaged 5% unemployment over 8 years? Yes please!

Wagthatdog on May 31, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I don’t think Mitt will be a great president…
tomas on May 31, 2012 at 7:44 AM

With what’s coming down the pike it’s going to take an extraordinary person to be “great” in that position but let’s just pray it isn’t Hussein and his crew of saboteurs who can’t let a crisis go to waste.

Cleombrotus on May 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Flora, I waited to talk to you this a.m. as you many times stop off here, ?. ; )

Bmore on May 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I started hitting the MUTE button on Obama… how long has it been since his first suite of post-election commercials, anyways? A long time, and I got sick of seeing him wedge his face into every sporting event, too. Not just the after congratulations stuff that I’ve ignored for decades, but before games started, during games…bleah.

If Romney wants to run as an anti-Bush he will have to say loudly, clearly, that he will stop the spending and roll back the hideous monstrosities put into the government by both Obama and Bush.

Way beyond Obamacare, TARP, and that shinola… but NCLB, TSA, DHS, and a slew of failures of agencies large and small, top to bottom. If you start doing that FIRST and show that government acknowledges that IT must cut back, then ‘entitlements’ will go easier as people see that government is serious about reform by actually reforming. Not talking about it and spending more, but by cutting and spending less. Get the government out of housing, student loans, and anything to do with credit cards used by consumers. Stop the bailouts, top to bottom, ask for the money back and end subsidies not just for Big Business but in the tax code for everyone.

To be the anti-Bush means becoming anti-Establishment and cutting off the brown-nosers and the various Letter Street Lobbyists by ending the organizations they lobby. Becoming an anti-Bush means cutting the legs out of the existing establishment and earning you enemies on both sides of the aisle, in business and industry devoted to lobbying and carve-outs from the public purse.

Saying you will do these things and not doing them gets you one term.

Doing them undercuts the basis for old style opposition if you can cement the reforms down over two Congressional terms. Even with that a second term is iffy, unless you get results.

I don’t vote on warm-fuzzy good talk, but on record and results: do as you say you will do. And mean it in that doing.

Make the case that you will be the green eye-shade President and lay out how and why its necessary and what the objectives are and what the plans are from them… and I’ll consider voting for you. Mitt Romney can make this case, and it means going against the attitudes in both parties and amongst the monied establishment supporting corrupt government. Make that the dividing line and dare Obama to repudiate the monied interests that lobby DC and his administration, to do as HE SAID HE WOULD DO IN 2008, and you just might have something there.

ajacksonian on May 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Rmoney™ isn’t the one. He will have to do however.

Bmore on May 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

“The strategy strategery is a shifting of gears for Team Obama…”

Fixed it for you.

patch on May 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Place Obowma on defense and the republicans win.

Obowma wins when there is no other option or his opponent fails to fight. In Chicago, Obowma had his opponent taken off the ballot and McCain failed to fight Obowma, and his radical friends and pastor.

dthorny on May 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM