Polish prime minister: A statement of “regret” for what Obama said from a White House spokesman isn’t good enough; Update: Polish president sends letter

posted at 8:23 pm on May 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

Check-the-box boilerplate from Jay Carney just isn’t going to do it this time.

The Prime Minister stated that Poland expected America to engage in efforts aimed at eradicating the phrase “Polish death camps” once and for all. Donald Tusk added that it might “paradoxically be a good occasion for the American administration, Americans and the President of the United States to support Poland in its efforts to promote historical truth, correct phrases and appropriate assessments of the events which took place in Poland and Europe during the Second World War”…

I am certain that our American friends are capable of a more explicit reaction than issuing a correction and the spokesperson of the White House expressing regret, and that maybe they will once and for all eliminate such errors – said the head of the Polish government.

Not sure what he wants the U.S. to do to help “eradicate” the phrase “Polish death camps.” Banning it would be unconstitutional, of course; some sort of educational campaign would be fine, except that I think pretty much everyone already understands that the “Polish death camps” were actually German death camps. That’s why Obama’s taking such a beating for it today, even from his own side. Lefty Michael Tomasky, a reliable Obama defender, calls it the worst thing he’s ever said:

This probably won’t matter much politically–I’m not sure how many Polish-Americans are Obama voters (although maybe in Chicago there’s a fair number, just on the basis of going for the hometown kid; but of course they all live in a state he’s carrying by 20 points anyhow). But it’s important and it’s embarrassing. Yes–it’s the first time he’s ever embarrassed me as president. He came kinda-sorta close when he called the Cambridge police “stupid,” but that was more of a political thing, not a sin against history. This was just shameful; a shameful thing for a president to say. If you don’t know why, read Frum’s essay, linked to above.

If anyone in the big O’s orbit reads these scribblings, I would beseech you people to encouarge the boss to correct this record. To take a moment to say at an upcoming event, “You know, I said something really terribly wrong last week, and I want to correct it.” And go on to explain why it’s important that he do so. That would actually play very well politically–for people to see a politician admit to an error, in public like that! But that is not why I propose it. I propose it because it’s right.

Here’s the David Frum post to which he refers, explaining why this is much worse than the usual “57 states” Obama brain fart. Quote: “The medal to Karski was to be part of the process of laying painful memories to rest. It was intended too to strengthen the US-Polish relations that the Obama administration has frayed in pursuit of its ‘reset’ with Russia. Instead, this administration bungled everything: past, present, and future.”

I said last night that, at the least, Tusk and foreign minister Radek Sikorski could expect groveling phone calls from Obama. But I was wrong: To my amazement, Jay Carney told the White House press corps this afternoon that he’s not aware of any plans by Obama to phone either. Can that possibly be true? Calling them “Polish death camps” is profoundly stupid but can be explained away as an accidental lapse in thought. Refusing to call and apologize for the error is much more of a deliberate slight. What’s the hold up, champ?

Via CBS, here’s Jay Carney delivering some, er, check-the-box boilerplate.

Update: The pressure’s rising.

“I hope we will jointly act to make up for this unfortunate mistake. I believe that every error, every mistake can be corrected if it is given adequate consideration,” Komorowski said in remarks posted on his official website.

Komorowski stopped well short of explicitly demanding an apology from Obama, who used the phrase Tuesday as he honored World War II Polish resistance hero Jan Karski with a posthumous Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian American honor. Poland’s foreign minister had demanded a full apology late Tuesday. But Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk made no reference to an apology on Wednesday even as he blasted Obama’s remark.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Wszyscy jesteśmy Polską, dopóki nie przeprosi …

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM

So that’s what Austrian looks like.

VorDaj on May 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM

If it wasn’t on a TOTUS does anyone really believe he can actually read? After all, we’ve college transcripts to show he didn’t actually toke all along – but remember, diversity quotas always show us who has the best potential. For exhibit A, I give you ‘Liz Warren – and, sincerely folks, I don’t thing she’s good in the kitchen (or the site of connubial bliss either!!).

Bob in VA on May 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I was alluding to Obama’s hatred of Catholics.

OldEnglish on May 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Obama doesn’t like anyone who clings to the First Amendment.

VorDaj on May 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM

The Jewish experience in Europe is harsh. But we are living in 2012. The concept that this was a simple gaffe is lost on the Poles. Why doesn’t Obama apologize instead of doubling down on stupid?

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Poland should be sensitive to this sort of gaffe because Obama seems intent on leaving Poland defenseless against Russia.

theperfecteconomist on May 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I would think an ipod loaded with all his speeches would be an appropriate expression of remorse.

TexasDan on May 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

“On behalf of all great citizens of my 57 states and all American soldiers and corpse-men serving me around the world I’d like to apologize to the Polish people for suggesting they were responsible for those man made disaster camps. Let me be clear, I love Polacks, I used to eat Polish sausages wiener dogs at Cominsky Park all the time!”

nextgen_repub on May 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Bitter Clinger on May 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Obama doesn’t like anyone who clings to the First Amendment.

VorDaj on May 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Or the Second

Bitter Clinger on May 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM

The biggest gaffe so far by Obama and he’s had some big ones..how hard is it to say Nazi death camp? the polish have every right to be upset

sadsushi on May 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM

He didn’t even have to say that. He could have just said “death camps” sans adjective. One less word, even.

Smartest.President.EVAH.

Dark Star on May 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Why doesn’t Obama apologize instead of doubling down on stupid?

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Obama doesn’t feel that it’s his fault if the Poles are too stupid to understand professorial nuance.

VorDaj on May 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM

If Romney wins he better stock up on coffee and crystal meth because he’s going to be up for a week straight meeting with foreign leaders in an effort to clean up after the Choomster.

Dack Thrombosis on May 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Not to worry, Obama will have more flexibility to invite Putin to solve this little problem after his re-election.

OldEnglish on May 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Obama should be as classy as usual and have one of his minions send out a tweet… maybe a post on Facebook.

DVPTexFla on May 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

But lets focus on Romney ad misspelling of America instead
-lsm

Not one mention from the lsm on this…..unstinkingbelievable

cmsinaz on May 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Do we still classify this as “Smart Power”?/

ORconservative on May 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Well lets see…. He scrapped the missile defense plan on the aniversary of the Soviet invasion. He did not attend the state funeral when the president and his cabinet were killed in a horrific plane crash. He insulted a Polish hero, in the freakin’ White House, who risked his life to save the Jewish people … He’s not got a real “smart” record on Polish/American dimplomacy. I think a cabbage roll / polka summit is in order.

kringeesmom on May 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Wow, the Poles are really pi$$ed.

I assume that the boy king was reading from TOTUS, as usual, when he made the statement, and I assume that he checks the text before events.

But here’s my confusion: if he was aware of the content, I wonder if a statement like this sneaked out because he’s deplorably ignorant of history, or whether he knew what it meant, but intentionally spoke it as a small, venal, nasty man. I think his performance as POTUS provides evidence that supports either hypothesis.

Going forward, I expect to see him take to the airwaves to offer an “apology”, complemented by flipping the Poles the bird as he coincidently and casually scratches his cheek with his raised middle finger. Again, past performance supports this.

bofh on May 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Just another instance of the amateurishness in and around the WH. They are all ignorant, arrogant, and the biggest bunch of liberal liars in the history of this Republic.

ultracon on May 30, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Good point. He did take away their missile defense. THAT the had every right to be steamed about.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I believe the full text of that apology might be on the queen’s iPod, or on one of her (Region 1) DVDs, right next to the bust of Churchill. Maybe the Dalai Lama might know something about it. You’ll find him out by the service entrance with Netanyahu and the president of Honduras. Oh, well, I suppose you can ask the POTUS himself. Maybe he’ll even bow to you. When he’s done whispering something to Vladimir, anyway….

Noocyte on May 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Any other news jp from your family ovee there

cmsinaz on May 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM

“Poland….that’s like where Polar Bears are from, right?”

-TFGP

Bishop on May 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

You may contact President Komorowski at this link to send your own personal apology.

JPeterman on May 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Shameful to have to apologize for our president…

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM

True, it is shameful. But I sent a personal apology to President Komorowski anyway. I didn’t presume to apologize for the dumb*ss in chief.

Thanks for the link, JPeterman.

Dark Star on May 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

He’s a disgusting piece of trash who cannot admit that he is wrong. Absolute failure.

TXMomof3 on May 30, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Winning The Future.

AllahsNippleHair on May 30, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I think I know what happened. The Poles failed at Total Absorption and the Choom Gang assessed a penalty when the joint came back around.

Dack Thrombosis on May 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Yes, I apologized as well, but it is still very shameful…

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I can guarantee this: Any semblance of an apology, if one occurs, from Obama will be worded in such a way that says we the people of the USA are to blame, and not him.

AubieJon on May 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Any other news jp from your family ovee there

cmsinaz on May 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Solidarity rallies being planned in both Bratislava and Prague.

JPeterman on May 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Drip Drip Drip, Obama will not be the dem candidate running in Nov.

tom daschle concerned on May 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM

When a former Communist country that went through the wringer many many times under Communist rule as it tried to obtain freedoms; and after gaining true freedom from the Soviets, a nation that has made it a point to be as staunch an ally as it could possibly be…to be stepped on, stomped on, and insulted by this Administration certainly must give them pause…wasn’t the United States the model for what they wished to become since the earliest days of both Nazi and later Soviet occupation?

The “it is no big deal” reaction from the White House is stark in its intent…can’t have any nation not in total awe of Obama be allowed to share a place at the main table.

I am with the Poles on this one…totally.

Barrack knew what he was saying…as did his speech writers…and his staff…and the message is clear. Cut Poland down to size once again…and enable the Russians to once again be “liberators and protectors” of Warsaw.

coldwarrior on May 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Update: Polish president sends letter

Obama sends iPod

Electrongod on May 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Friggin’ Hilarious!

Tim_CA on May 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Everybody remember Obama telling the press corps not to bring up his big ears?

You talked about my ears. I just want to put you on notice: I’m very sensitive about — what I told them was, “I was teased relentlessly when I was a kid about my big ears.”

So that’s a big deal… but this affront to Poland? Nah… fuggedaboudit.

beatcanvas on May 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Lol!

The ad at the top of the page is in Polish!

Dack Thrombosis on May 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Alrighty then JP

cmsinaz on May 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

tom daschle concerned on May 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I wish.

ORconservative on May 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

So, just so I have this correct, 0 makes a mistake. Yet won’t apologize for making an obvious mistake. It was an obvious mistake, therefore no apology needed. 0 is now in a corner on this. Meanwhile the Polish PM has 0 by the shorthairs. 0 is not used to this behavior. He will double down. At some point he will relent and apologize.

Bmore on May 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM

TFGP would be on AF1 tomorrow, winging his over over to scrape and grovel were this concerning the Palestinians. The Poles have pretty much agreed to play the role of trip-wire border guards against the Russians and this is how TFGP treats them?

Bishop on May 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

What type of beer does that Polish guy enjoy? Maybe Obama could have him over for a good German one or something.…..

What…? what’d I say….?

ted c on May 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I watched an episode of “Nazi Hunters” on PBS tonight. The narrator said “30 years after Poland shut down the Treblinka death camp”. Hmmm. Shades of what Obama said about “Polish” death camps?

Paul-Cincy on May 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

How many Polish politicians does it take to kick the President’s ass?

Three, apparently — one Prime Minister, one President, and one Foreign Minister.

clayj on May 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Perhaps Prince Charles should have taken our President along for that educational trip.

J-Paul00 on May 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Would Obama have liked “black slave traders”. Even though there WERE black slave traders. That’s where Europe got its African slaves.

Paul-Cincy on May 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I haven’t read the thread so it’s possible this has been said before.

I am very upset at the way the Obama administration has treated the Poles. They are our friends, and a very valuable ally.

Since our president is unable to apologize for his egregious error, I visit the President of Poland’s website, and dropped a note of apology to him, and the Polish people.

kakypat on May 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

They have to press Obama to publicly correct himself. If his statement stands it will be a major set back, years of fighting over this issue will be wasted. Because, not everybody accepts that those camps were German or Nazi Death Camps. Only few months ago major news organizations, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and the Associated Press, finally agreed to correct their “stylebooks” to ban the use of this phrase. I believe that some of them might use that as an excuse to reverse themselves.

ktrelski on May 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM

President Komorowski :
Allow me to channel Basil Fawlty regarding Obama:

“He’s from Chicago”.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Polish Radio has an English program that is on the internet, and Wednesday’s program is all about outrage. It’s worth listening to over at World Radio Network.

simkeith on May 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Groveling on behalf of Obama is Hillary’s job description, but she gets a say in something Barry wants . . . an Obama/Clinton ticket. The Clintons see the Democrat Party tailspinning and have to know it cannot return to good governance while Obama leads. They have no interest in helping him.

Watch as Obama becomes the Dem’s scapegoat when/if it becomes obvious he will not be re-elected. The Clintons want their party back.

Hey O: Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers.

exdeadhead on May 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Here’s how the non-apology apology will be given:

SippyCup: “Let me be clear, the teleprompter acted stupidly. Make no mistake, you misunderstood what I said.”

SnarkySam on May 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

So, the big question is… Will the next Newsweek have a picture of Obama as the First Jewish President, or the First Polish President??

cntrlfrk on May 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

How did that mofo fit in a car back when he was “choomin”, with them big ears and ego?

Also, he’s one to be worried about teasing when he so enjoys teasing the American public.

arnold ziffel on May 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Why doesn’t Obama apologize instead of doubling down on stupid?

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Because the Poles are not muslims.

Bubba Redneck on May 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM

JPeterman, thanks for the link. Here’s the e-mail I just sent:

Dear President Komorowski,

Please count me as one more American who was very disappointed to hear that President Obama referred to WWII concentration camps as “Polish death camps”. The camps were no more Polish than they were Dutch, Czech, or French — they were GERMAN or NAZI concentration camps, no matter where they were located. Everyone knows this — or at least they should.

(While I am disappointed, I am not at all SURPRISED that he said it. He is clearly not very knowledgeable about history, or anything else for that matter. This is a man who once said that there are 57 states in the United States of America — there are only 50.)

Even more shocking is his refusal to apologize for what was clearly a horrible insult to the nation and good people of Poland, who’ve withstood both six years of Nazi occupation and almost 50 years of communist oppression before becoming a free democracy.

So while I can’t speak for the US, I can speak for myself: I’m sorry that President Obama insulted Poland, and I’m sorry that he refuses to apologize for it.

You deserve better. And so do we.

I hope you will keep up the good fight.

clayj on May 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I read Eisenhower’s “Crusade in Europe” when I was in 7th grade. I remember reading how an embarrassed Ike, himself of German heritage, forced German civilians to walk by the bodies of concentration camp victims – in the camps ADJACENT to the homes of the civilians who “knew nussing.”

I wonder if Obama has ever studied any history except the diversity crap at Harvard, where 1/32 of an alleged minority heritage gets you an entire professorship.

fred5678 on May 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

cntrlfrk on May 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

How do you like Deb Fischer, and what do you think of her chances?

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

simkeith on May 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

With every bit of respect to JP-I really mean that-I can’t get outraged about this one. The Death Camps were located in Poland because there were lots of Jews…and because the Nazis Knew that plenty of Poles would be willing to help them with their dirty work. The same things could be said about the Einssatzgruppen in the Ukraine(I lost family @ Babi Yar)I used to be friends with the daughter of film maker Marian Marzynski. He was smuggled out of the Warsaw Ghetto @ age 8 to live as a Christian. His mother survived but not his dad. Marz had some pretty horrific stories to tell about the non-Jewish locals.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

So,the line from the WH,that Hopey/Chanhey Mis-Spokey
ain’t gonna fly this time.

Looks like the World is finally catching on to Dopey/Ragey
The FraudMiester!!
==================

@markknoller tweeted:

WH says Pres Obama misspoke yesterday in referring to a “Polish death camp.” “We regret the misstatement,” says spksmn Tommy Vietor.

Submitted 12 hours agofrom twitter.com/markknoller by editor

canopfor on May 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Crapola,thats Changey,not(Chanhey)…

canopfor on May 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Reminds me of when they sent the bijst back. I sent card to the British Embassy and received the most beautiful card in return.
Polish Embassy anyone?

seesalrun2 on May 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Bust. I meant bust hi y’all

seesalrun2 on May 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM

kakypat on May 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Done.

kringeesmom on May 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

One of the first things The Won did was to scrap the missile shield, part of which was to be in Poland. I think he made it quite clear back than how much he cares about Poland.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

kringeesmom on May 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I’m not apologizing. See my first and third comment.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

THAT Zero should apologize for…and then he needs to get the shield back up.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I hope you will keep up the good fight.

clayj on May 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Well done, thank you.

JPeterman on May 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Cindy Munford:Exactly Cindy,this is the second time,Obama had thrown
Poland under the bus,that we are aware of!!:)

canopfor on May 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I’ve spent a fair amount of time talking to the Polish staff at Auschwitz. You’d be surprised just how many visitors are under the impression that Poles ran the camps, not Nazis. Not Germans. They’re indignant at the Poles. They have no historical awareness.

But most of the people who died in those camps were Poles. One in six Poles died during the Nazi occupation. That would equate to 50 million Americans. So they have a right to be very sensitive about this.

And it’s easy to fix. Make the apology, publicly and private. Move on.

The_Jacobite on May 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Drip Drip Drip, Obama will not be the dem candidate running in Nov.

tom daschle concerned on May 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Nope. But be prepared to hear about the racism of the Poles, Catholics, holocaust survivors…

Laura in Maryland on May 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

The_Jacobite on May 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Most Poles didn’t consider Polish Jews to be Poles. The purpose of those camps was to kill JEWS. Sure-there were other victims-but the main goal was to kill Jews. Polish Jewish survivors would return home to their old homes and be greeted with ‘What, you’re still alive?’ or ‘Why aren’t you dead’ and threatened with REAL death if they didn’t move on.
I know I’m the minority on this-but I don’t think anything more than a perfunctory ‘apology’ is necessary on this issue.
Sorry.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I wonder if Obama understands what a BFD this is?

I say send Biden over to patch things up!

William Eaton on May 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Barack Obama only apologizes to Arabs…he would never apologize to a white guy.

jan3 on May 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I can’t even imagine what ABC/CBS/CNN/MSNBC would be saying if this were a Republican President.

Wagthatdog on May 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM

“Poland….that’s like where Polar Bears are from, right?”

-TFGP

Bishop on May 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

No, that’s where The Witcher 2 came from.

cajun carrot on May 30, 2012 at 10:49 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM

You should stop while you’re ahead. This has nothing to do with what the Poles may or may not have done after the Liberation. That is a discussion for another time or topic.

This all about a crass, horrid and incorrect statement made by our President who refuses to acknowledge or apologize for it publicly. Nothing more, nothing less.

JPeterman on May 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Poles don’t take kindly to totalitarians.
Watch out Barry! Poland punches above its weight!

Glenn Jericho on May 30, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Things went less smoothly for Mark. By the time we found out I was pregnant-three years into our marriage-he’d been looking for a job teaching film for six months with no luck. Then he began applying for any old job, but nothing panned out. Still, the minute my pregnancy test flashed its double pink lines at me, I knew I needed to put my career on hold.

I stayed home with our daughter for six months after she was born while Mark continued, yes, looking for a job. In 18 months, he got just two calls. Meanwhile, I was being pursued by headhunters.

Heh…

cajun carrot on May 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Sorry got side-tracked wrong article.

cajun carrot on May 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Wszyscy jesteśmy Polską, dopóki nie przeprosi …

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM
= We are all Polish, until he apologizes
Eloquent my friend.

diogenes on May 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Barack Obama only apologizes to Arabs…he would never apologize to a white guy.

jan3 on May 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Inform Obama that Polish people are known as “Polestinians” and he’ll be winging over to Poland tonight, hand in hand and ready to grovel.

Bishop on May 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I think a cabbage roll / polka summit is in order.

Now I’m hungry.

Thanks.

socalcon on May 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Bishop on May 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

LMAO.

Tim_CA on May 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Is the White House intent on turning a minor gaffe into a major diplomatic blunder?

Its inexplicable that the President hasnt said something already and called the Poles to make amends.

He should go on Polish TV, smile his way through an interview in which he apologises for the gaffe, & pokes fun at how the potus lifestyle can sometimes lead to an honest gaffe but America sure loves us some Poland. Ever hear of ‘Polish sausages’? Well there you go. I down two or three every time I go to Wrigley.”

Why hasnt Obama taken 1 minute to shout at reporters on his way across the WH lawn to board M1 that he f’ed up in his remarks and gee i was tired but i called the Poles and apologised.I told them its been a rough week, they agreed and we hugged it out on the videophone case closed.

That takes 2 seconds.

In my view, by failing to own up to this small blunder turned grenade without a pin, Obama is shamefully and needlessly embarrassing the US in the eyes of an allied country with bonds of kinship to America going back hundreds of years. The Russians must be laughing their asses off.

This could get real weird real fast.

Sacramento on May 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I don’t understand Obama. He’s apoligized to or bowed to just about every one of our enemies and he can’t throw a bone to poland with a pretend heartfelt apology to one of our allies.

give me a break

gerrym51 on May 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM

JPeterman on May 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Add me to the list of people sending an email to Pres. Komorowski. Thanks for the link, JPeterman.

inviolet on May 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I just sent out a letter to Prime Minister Donald Tusk as well.

Glenn Jericho on May 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Sorry Poland. Many Americans are embarrassed and insulted by this disaster of a President we have too.

Yakko77 on May 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM

“On behalf of all great citizens of my 57 states and all American soldiers and corpse-men serving me around the world I’d like to apologize to the Polish people for suggesting they were responsible for those man made disaster camps. Let me be clear, I love Polacks, I used to eat Polish sausages at Cominsky Park all the time!”

nextgen_repub on May 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM

LOL …

I can’t help thinking how Obama refused to attend the Berlin Wall commemoration. He really hates being reminded of totalitarianism’s failures.

Nicole Coulter on May 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Not trying to make light, but I just realized the Polish people call Obama “Obamy”.

TonyR on May 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM

How is it that Obowmao has apologized for the greatness of America, for the protection we’ve offered others, for helping our fellow man, but he cannot be bothered with apologizing for insulting an entire nation of our ALLIES?

I apologize, Poland. I’m sorry our smartest president EVAH is a complete @$$hat. I’m sorry our citizens were more concerned with cool than competence in 2008. I’m sorry that O’s staff doesn’t have enough sense to explain the situation to bozo and schedule a 10 minute public statement.

*facepalm*

Laura in Maryland on May 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM

A very sizable percentage of Connecticut voters are of Polish origin. Major backlash may even make the state marginally competitive…

Archivarix on May 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM

JPeterman on May 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I think after the past few days that I’ve had here, it’s time that I ‘retire’ from this site.
I’m done.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Bishop on May 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Bishop:Veddy nice come back!:)

canopfor on May 30, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I’m done.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM

annoyinglittletwerp:May I suggest R@R for a bit,and btw,I apologise
for the screw up,on your voting for Mittens,in
yesterdays Texas thread,I typed in Annoylittle
twerp,sorry ALT:)

canopfor on May 30, 2012 at 11:57 PM

In polite society, this is commonly referred to as “crapping the bed.” Get up and clean up your mess, don’t roll over in it and mumble, “Five more minutes, Mom.”

Christien on May 30, 2012 at 11:58 PM

My theory is that, were Odumbo to call a press conference to make a formal statement of apology, it might leave him open to answering unscripted questions (about other topics) from the press corp (or is it corpse?). We can’t have that, this is an election year.

What amazes me is that they didn’t have the imbecile call the Polish President (say before starting the back-nine), apologize (away from reporters, etc.), then they coulda had a field day saying how great the give-and-take was (or something).

Our president really is a blithering idiot.

RedCrow on May 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM

“Uh, Jay….” “Yes, you’re next…”

“Thank you,…Lester Moran from Roadhog News….

Uh, Mr. Carney, have you or the president heard any good Polish jokes lately…and if so, would you like to share them with the public or is the president saving them for the Letterman show?”

drowningpuppies on May 31, 2012 at 12:18 AM

The emperor has no clothes…. Wasn’t this guy supposed to be the smartest guy in the room? Supposed to improve our standing in the world?

JB-STLMO on May 31, 2012 at 12:32 AM

He sold out the Poles on missile defense, skipped the Polish president’s funeral because of the volcano smoke plume, but saw fit to golf while the funeral was going on — let’s not forget how he basically disregarded the fact that the Poles have stood with us in both Iraq and Afghanistan. So if they are a little sensitive about this, they have good reason to be. Then he steps in it and doesn’t have the class to personally correct his mistake.

Ironwood297 on May 31, 2012 at 12:47 AM