Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on May 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

All I can say is that I may not forgive my co-blogger for bogarting the best OOTD candidate I’ve seen in a while. Don’t worry, though — we’ll come back to that one later this week for sure.  (For the record, Allahpundit elbowed me and yelled “INTERCEPTED!” when that tip came to our inboxes.)  For now, let’s go to E-nough for a look at Barack Obama’s Memorial Day speech at Arlington National Cemetery.  It included this solemn pledge:

“As long as I’m President” might not be much consolation, given Obama’s poll numbers and the state of the economy.  However, even if Obama won a second term, it wouldn’t make veterans and their families feel all that secure.  Don’t forget that this is the same President who considered this plan in 2009:

Lawmakers say they’d reject a proposal to make veterans pay for treatment of war wounds with private insurance.
Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

Water under the bridge, you say?  Lesson learned?  Consider this development from just two months ago:

The Obama administration’s proposed defense budget calls for military families and retirees to pay sharply more for their healthcare, while leaving unionized civilian defense workers’ benefits untouched. The proposal is causing a major rift within the Pentagon, according to U.S. officials. Several congressional aides suggested the move is designed to increase the enrollment in Obamacare’s state-run insurance exchanges.

The disparity in treatment between civilian and uniformed personnel is causing a backlash within the military that could undermine recruitment and retention.

The proposed increases in health care payments by service members, which must be approved by Congress, are part of the Pentagon’s $487 billion cut in spending. It seeks to save $1.8 billion from the Tricare medical system in the fiscal 2013 budget, and $12.9 billion by 2017.

Many in Congress are opposing the proposed changes, which would require the passage of new legislation before being put in place.

“As long as I’m President”? My guess is that veterans can’t wait for his term to expire.

Comments

what arrogance, so no other president would help out?

dear leader only respects one person…himself

cmsinaz on May 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM

cmsinaz on May 30, 2012 at 8:06 AM

160 days and counting…

Sue Doenim on May 30, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I detest the facade of the Obamas claiming to care about our troops.

VibrioCocci on May 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

#AsLongAsObamaIsPresident this country is heading to Hell in a Handbasket.

Think I’ll tweet that..

ProfShadow on May 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

(For the record, Allahpundit elbowed me and yelled “INTERCEPTED!”

Does Allah light his bong from his Chevy Volt fire??/

ted c on May 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Let’s not forget that those service members and retirees were initially told that they would not have to pay anything for medical care. This is an unacceptable “savings” on the back of people who have loyaly serve or have served this nation. Panetta is nothing but a political hack who doesn’t respect the military. The sooner he is out of power the better. The effing traitor.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Preezy for Life????

JimK on May 30, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I detest the facade of the Obamas claiming to care about our troops.

VibrioCocci on May 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Oh! Obama cares about the troops. They make great props for his propaganda lectures. He even told them so.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Does Allah light his bong from his Chevy Volt fire??/

ted c on May 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Not sure. I light mine from the muzzle flash of my Glock.

Just kidding. Maybe. ;-)

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM

My guess is that veterans can’t wait for his term to expire.

wisdom

ted c on May 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Not sure. I light mine from the muzzle flash of my Glock.

Just kidding. Maybe. ;-)

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM

SWAT!!! SWAT!!/

ted c on May 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Blah blah blah. All this moron has is words, and his words are worthless.

Obama, promises, expiration date. Some assembly required.

Gads, I hate this effete and wholly ineffectual fop.

GrassMudHorsey on May 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM

This is a poor substitute for the Polish Death Campz!!!11!

Seriously, this is just weasel business as usual with bo using each and every opportunity to campaign shamelessly and with no regard for truth, decency or accountability. The mere thought that he thinks he can pass himself off as a champion for the troops and their families is nauseating.

CitizenEgg on May 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM

wow! the Polish are sure ticked off today, see drudge.

ted c on May 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM

On Memorial Day. At Arlington. Classy.

kingsjester on May 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM

instead of euphemistically referring to “FEMA Camps”, should we now pivot towards “Polish Death Camps?”

ted c on May 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Obama still has “El Presidente for life” delusions.

wildcat72 on May 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

ted c on May 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

For the “Forward Solution” for conservatives.

wildcat72 on May 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I retired in 2010 after 33 years.I hated my last 2 years and questioned my loyalty serving under him.

docflash on May 30, 2012 at 8:19 AM

All about him.

22044 on May 30, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Dear Lord, I don’t ask for much, and at my age the last thing I want is for time to pass more quickly, but would you PLEASE make tomorrow November 06, 2012?

Amen

Flora Duh on May 30, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Prezzy Interceptor has already held the military paychecks and seniors social security checks hostage during the raise the debt limit fight last year. NOTHING will stop him from forcing vets to pay for their own health care when he gets more flexibility during his second term.

Kissmygrits on May 30, 2012 at 8:28 AM

“As long as I’m President”

Even Memorial Day becomes about Obama.

Fallon on May 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM

“Republicans just want to throw Veterans off the Cliff!!!!”

What Obama was thinkin’….

Electrongod on May 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Funniest OOTD Evah!

Polish death camps!

Jaibones on May 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Not sure. I light mine from the muzzle flash of my Glock.

Just kidding. Maybe. ;-)

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Careful not to hold that bong too close to your face.

kringeesmom on May 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Dumb and Dumber…
First Hollywood filmed it…
Then America voted for it..

Electrongod on May 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM

“As long as I’m President”

……….it’s g o i n g …t o …b e …a… l o n g …s u m m e r!
.and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to angry mike and 4 Grace!
(no bong birthday either!)

KOOLAID2 on May 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Not sure. I light mine from the muzzle flash of my Glock.
Just kidding. Maybe. ;-)

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Heh.

Jaibones on May 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Under Bush, I could get Tri-care at local facilities instead of the two and a half hour round trip to the local VA hospital, but only for services that couldn’t be done at that VA hospital. Now I have to drive as far as an 8 hour round trip at my own expense for some procedures, and use doctors that I have never even meet before the procedure. Not very happy with that. :(

Mini-14 on May 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Okay Flora, I’ll second that Amen!!

MONACO1121 on May 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

On Memorial Day. At Arlington. Classy.

kingsjester on May 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Dude, remember – no event is bigger than Obama’s weak ego or too important for him to fu** up.

Jaibones on May 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Dumb and Dumber…
First Hollywood filmed it…
Then America voted for it..

Electrongod on May 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I think you are on to something…this whole presidency has been a production.

tinkerthinker on May 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM

How sweet is it that you can say anything, then do whatever the f*** you want and nobody will hold you accountable?

swinia sutki on May 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM

As long as I am President, I will keep the trash that votes for me from spitting on you.

Go get ‘em, SCoaMF!

MNHawk on May 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Not sure. I light mine from the muzzle flash of my Glock.

Just kidding. Maybe. ;-)

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Well, we can’t all be man enough for a 1911.

swinia sutki on May 30, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Next, he’ll just exempt the zombie vote from the Obamacare mandate.

Don L on May 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

How about Obama referring to Medal of Freedom honorees such as Zimmerman and Huerta as “heroes” after the MSNBC disaster.

Although, John Glenn is a Patton-level badass.

Greek Fire on May 30, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Dear POTUS,

Memorial Day is supposed to be about those of us veterans who gave their lives in service to our country. Granted, I’m sure that you and your buddies have figured out ways to still get them to vote for you, but in my humble opinion, trumpeting about how you are personally going to make sure that veterans are going to get the benefits and respect we’ve earned and deserve respectively…on a day where the focus should be on the ultimate price paid by my brothers and sisters in arms is offensive in the extreme. Do this veteran a personal favor and never try to do anything for me. Ever.

Except giving me an Obama-free zone. First, your wife came for Disney Channel. Then, you invaded Food Network. And now, I have to see you when I watch my Piano Guys videos on YouTube. Is nothing sacred? Wait…

Never yours,
Twidgetnator

twidgetnator on May 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Don’t worry, though — we’ll come back to that one later this week for sure.

Why bother, it’ll win hands down against whatever you put it up against. Hmmmm, then again we are talking The Won here so there may be something coming up that will completely overshadow this. There are now three things in life that are certain. Death, taxes and Obama is going to do something stupid.

Oldnuke on May 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Oldnuke on May 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Four things! The LSM will cover for him.

Oldnuke on May 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM

This is how Otrash honors our service people. Some commander in Chief !

arand on May 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Look, this goes beyond tone-deafness. Shinseki was the Army Chief of Staff who decided, in an era of crashing morale, no spare parts, insufficient fuel for flight and ground operation, etc., to take the Rangers’ black beret and give it to the entire Army. These guys aren’t tone-deaf. They are stupid, arrogant and evil. And this is really one of the lesser cabinet positions.God save us all from SecDef, SecState and SecTreas.

Longhorn Six on May 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I detest the facade of the Obamas claiming to care about our troops.

VibrioCocci on May 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Remember on the campaign trail when he said his uncle liberated Auschwitz? The only reason he told that tall tale was to launch into a “Troops are victims” spiel. That’s also why his wife “supports” the troops — not because they’re heroes … but because the Obamas want the troops to view themselves as victims in need of Big Government’s paternalistic care from foxhole to grave. And once they get you hooked on being a victim, you’re more likely to vote Democrat.

Yet at the same time, he’s slashing medical funding for the troops, so he’s not doing a very good job “supporting” them is he?

Nicole Coulter on May 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Just remember – everything O. says while campaigning in public is a lie.

sadatoni on May 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Is this the Polish Death Camp OOTD?

Not sure. I light mine from the muzzle flash of my Glock.

Just kidding. Maybe. ;-)

Ed Morrissey on May 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I prefer Sig Sauer.

Bmore on May 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM

“As long as I’m President, we will make sure you and your loved ones receive the benefits you’ve earned and the respect you deserve.”

But what does HE thinks they’ve earned and deserved — that’s the rub! I remember snarkily wishing a wedding couple I loathed that they would get “all the happiness they deserved.” From a guy who has shown manifest contempt for the military, these words come across more as a threat than a promise.

sistrum on May 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM

After more than twenty years of active duty service, spanning portions of six presidential terms, it is a comfort to be able to say that I entered service under Reagan, and had my retirement papers signed by George W. Bush. I would never have considered military service with Carter as president, and struggled with the decision to remain on active duty during Clinton’s terms.

But one thing is certain. None of those former Presidents, however good or bad their time in office was for the lives of military members and dependents, would have had the unmitigated nerve to make such stupid promises in a baldfaced attempt to pander to military votes, predicated on the worthless and meaningless phrase “As long as I’m President”. A military service of less than 8 years carries very few benefits to begin with, and none of the type to which this Resident is suggesting he would sustain (and not so very long after he’d considered eliminating). Any military career long enough to earn continuing benefits is going to be much longer than the service of a single President.

Obama’s narcissism is so clearly on display lately (“my sons”), that it requires extra effort on the part of the treasonous media to keep it under wraps. Big Daddy “O” is so convinced in his own mind that we all belong to him, and that we would be thrilled if he could just stay in the Oval Office forever, that he isn’t able to fathom the utter contempt with which real patriots receive his insane declarations.

Obama
Must
Go!

Freelancer on May 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor and the cost of health care will go down. If his mouth is moving…

College Prof on May 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I prefer Sig Sauer.

Bmore on May 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM

And I thought I’m the only Sig Sauer person…

Archivarix on May 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

And I thought I’m the only Sig Sauer person…

Archivarix on May 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Quality minds, quality tools. / Lol! I’m thinking of picking up another.

Bmore on May 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Sig, that is.

Bmore on May 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Just not from the U.S. Government.

Your private insurance will cover it.

U.S. tax money is only used to make things “Fair” for people who don’t want to work, and union workers, and campaign donors.

Tim_CA on May 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

We Vets aren’t the only ones counting the days until that Private is relieved of his post:

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on May 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM

This stupidity, plus the “absolutely necessary”, translated “when I absolutely need my numbers to go up”…

Such a fake there never was, nor ever will be.

Schadenfreude on May 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Obama just doesn’t think that our military and their families deserve respect. He thinks they haven’t earned his respect.

jqc1970 on May 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Freelancer on May 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Right On!! Well said!!

Marco on May 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Hit the servicemen and their families with higher medical costs while leaving the unionistas untouched. Not even trying to hide it any longer.

jdkchem on May 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

My husband is a retired Army officer and I’ll readily confirm that the majority of both the active duty military and the retirees can’t wait to get rid of this despicable man. I actually hate Obummer because, in spite of the fact that my husband is a veteran, Obummer wants to ration our disabled child out of all health care.

Obummer also plans to force Tricare retirees under age 65 and their families into the government run exchanges in 2014 by raising the enrollment fees so high that we won’t be able to afford to pay them. It would be as if my husband never served and earned health care benefits. All Obummer wants to do for soldiers is screw them.

sherrimae on May 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM