Video: Noted “Choom Gang” alumnus honors spiritual leader

posted at 6:46 pm on May 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, I had to blog it for that headline alone.

Nothing against Dylan or Madeleine Albright or former Tennessee women’s hoops coach Pat Summitt, all of whom were among those who received Presidential Medals of Freedom today, but shouldn’t there be a separate/more serious award for this guy?

William Foege

A physician and epidemiologist, Foege helped lead the successful campaign to eradicate smallpox in the 1970s. He was appointed director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1977 and, with colleagues, founded the Task Force for Child Survival in 1984. Foege became executive director of The Carter Center in 1986 and continues to serve the organization as a senior fellow.

Or how about this gentleman?

Jan Karski

Karski served as an officer in the Polish Underground during World War II and carried among the first eyewitness accounts of the Holocaust to the world. He worked as a courier, entering the Warsaw ghetto and the Nazi Izbica transit camp, where he saw firsthand the atrocities occurring under Nazi occupation.

Anyway, your homework assignment: Explain Dylan’s appeal to me in the comments. I find most of 60s culture (and especially 60s music) accessible enough but I’ve never understood the Dylan phenomenon. It feels like an elaborate put-on, and yet the guy is sufficiently iconic that he could receive the country’s top civilian honor from the president at the White House while wearing shades and no one really thinks twice. Impressive. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Never liked Dylan…

OmahaConservative on May 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I had to blog it for that headline alone.

Tangled Up In Blue

John the Libertarian on May 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Well, they’ll stone ya when you’re walkin’ ’long the street
They’ll stone ya when you’re tryin’ to keep your seat
They’ll stone ya when you’re walkin’ on the floor
They’ll stone ya when you’re walkin’ to the door
But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned!

Lawdawg86 on May 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind

AllahsNippleHair on May 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Give me an F

PaCadle on May 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Do we really need to get entertainers more awards? Do we really need to give awards at all?

Oil Can on May 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM

William Foege

Jan Karski

Dylan

Which one could we have done without?

Chip on May 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Everybody must get stoned. Choom memories, and all that.

debg on May 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Swear I’ve seen that Dylan geezer @ Sizzler for the Early-Bird Special.

BHO Jonestown on May 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Love him or hate him, you’ve gotta admire Bobby for refusing to doff his shades for O’bama.

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Explain Dylan’s appeal to me in the comments

I hate to say it, but this happened: i got on here to see if there was anything about tonight’s Cruz-Dewhurst-o-rama (way too early for central time, i realize) and I looked at that image of O hanging a medal and it made me furious. I respect the office of the president sure, but the fact that a guy with his past gets to award ‘excellence’????

man, what a country…

pamplonajack on May 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I like Neal Young and others hate him. I hate Bob Dylan and others love him.

But clearly, Young is the better artist.

jukin3 on May 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Wonder if Chris Hayes thinks Dylan is a hero…

But don’t think twice, it’s alright.

Sgt Steve on May 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM

“Idiot wind blowing every time your move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads heading south
Idiot wind blowing every time you move your teeth
You’re an idiot babe
It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe”

Ditkaca on May 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Bob does sing BO’s theme song….

It Ain’t Me, Babe

pickychicky on May 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Answer me this question:

How many cigarettes did Dylan have to smoke to get his distinctive voice?

Capt_Nemo on May 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Dylan simultaneously wrote fairly profound (for pop music — low bar) music but never took himself nearly as seriously as everybody else did. He was always more fun than you’d think.

urban elitist on May 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

So for doing massive amounts of drugs and still touring despite having lost even the semblance of a ‘voice’ that he once had Bob Dylan gets the highest civilian honor. Obviously Dylan is SO impressed that he can’t even be bothered to dredge up enough respect for the event or the president to take of his sunglasses INSIDE THE WHITE HOUSE. Or is this his way of continuing to protest ‘the man’? I wonder if he still thinks, as most 13 year old’s doubtless agree, that its ‘cool’ to wear one’s sunglasses indoors? Judging by the photo, I guess so.

I guess its only fitting that the man who won the Nobel Peace Prize for doing NOTHING should award a tired old musician the Medal of Freedom for an equally impressive contribution to… freedom.

thatsafactjack on May 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I’m a big Jan Karski fan.

Blake on May 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Dylan is a wonderful songwriter, he’s just a horrible singer.

But if you didn’t think Dylan was cool you were looked down upon. So everyone faked it. Pretending to like Dylan so they could “fit in”.

ButterflyDragon on May 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Answer me this question:

How many cigarettes did Dylan have to smoke to get his distinctive voice?

Capt_Nemo on May 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Don’t know, but if you listen to his classic country album “Nashville Skyline” you’ll hear how he sounded after he quit the habit.

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Sweet Smok’n Sumpin,Hopey is handing out awards Left,not Right,and
Lefty Centre,giving VietNam Vets there do,now this,

whats next??

And its running up to election season,maybe Changey will recant for dining out on dog meat!!

canopfor on May 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Dylan is an elaborate put-on. He’s never been shy about admitting it. He’s also a serious believer in Jesus Christ which should be more than enough to get you not to like him.

If you like the blues or American roots music then you’ll like Bob. If not…then you have no soul.

Where was Bob during the summer of love? Being married and raising children. Remember all those anti-war protests and marches he led? No you don’t, because he never did. He threw one hippy interviwer so off track by asking him “How do you know that I am not, as you say, “for the (Vietnam) war”?

After 9/11 when Madonna took to the stage and told her audience to sekk nonviolent solutions to the attacks, Bob came along and told the audiense to rethink that.

Bob Dylan is not what you think he is.

JohnBrown on May 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM

” What looks large from a distance, close up ain’t ever that big “

DeweyWins on May 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Hasaaaaaaa kikndadd urrrrrrrr

SouthernGent on May 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Explain Dylan’s appeal to me in the comments.

I like his songs for their own sake, but (a) they’re acquired tastes and (b) it’s harder to appreciate any revolutionary after the fact, when his innovations are now considered common wisdom (or not even wisdom at all). (It’s for similar reasons that Washington is much less appreciated a President than Lincoln or FDR.)

no one really thinks twice.

The question is, are you enough of pop culture aficionado that this reference wasn’t accidental?

calbear on May 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM

JohnBrown on May 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM

well said. The liberal left wanted Bob to be Phil Ochs and he refused. How did that work out for Phil ?

DeweyWins on May 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I have never understood an iota of Bob Dylan’s appeal. His and Macy Gray’s voices have been mixed especially for use in secret CIA prisons for interrogation purposes.

MadisonConservative on May 29, 2012 at 7:05 PM

The Jester.

Bmore on May 29, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Well, Bob Dylan is an American poet and I am sure the leader of the Choom gang is very appreciative of Mr Tambourine Man!

Momma on May 29, 2012 at 7:06 PM

DeweyWins on May 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Not so well.

That said, the Right would do itself well to have a Phil Ochs of our own.

JohnGalt23 on May 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM

He also wrote probably the only rock song about Israel and her troubles.

Well, the neighborhood bully, he’s just one man
His enemies say he’s on their land
They got him outnumbered about a million to one
He got no place to escape to, no place to run
He’s the neighborhood bully

The neighborhood bully just lives to survive
He’s criticized and condemned for being alive
He’s not supposed to fight back, he’s supposed to have thick skin
He’s supposed to lay down and die when his door is kicked in
He’s the neighborhood bully

The neighborhood bully been driven out of every land
He’s wandered the earth an exiled man
Seen his family scattered, his people hounded and torn
He’s always on trial for just being born
He’s the neighborhood bully

Well, he knocked out a lynch mob, he was criticized
Old women condemned him, said he should apologize.
Then he destroyed a bomb factory, nobody was glad
The bombs were meant for him. He was supposed to feel bad
He’s the neighborhood bully

Well, the chances are against it and the odds are slim
That he’ll live by the rules that the world makes for him
’Cause there’s a noose at his neck and a gun at his back
And a license to kill him is given out to every maniac
He’s the neighborhood bully

He got no allies to really speak of
What he gets he must pay for, he don’t get it out of love
He buys obsolete weapons and he won’t be denied
But no one sends flesh and blood to fight by his side
He’s the neighborhood bully

Well, he’s surrounded by pacifists who all want peace
They pray for it nightly that the bloodshed must cease
Now, they wouldn’t hurt a fly. To hurt one they would weep
They lay and they wait for this bully to fall asleep
He’s the neighborhood bully

Every empire that’s enslaved him is gone
Egypt and Rome, even the great Babylon
He’s made a garden of paradise in the desert sand
In bed with nobody, under no one’s command
He’s the neighborhood bully

Now his holiest books have been trampled upon
No contract he signed was worth what it was written on
He took the crumbs of the world and he turned it into wealth
Took sickness and disease and he turned it into health
He’s the neighborhood bully

What’s anybody indebted to him for?
Nothin’, they say. He just likes to cause war
Pride and prejudice and superstition indeed
They wait for this bully like a dog waits to feed
He’s the neighborhood bully

What has he done to wear so many scars?
Does he change the course of rivers? Does he pollute the moon and stars?
Neighborhood bully, standing on the hill
Running out the clock, time standing still
Neighborhood bully

Bob’s a right-winger who’s fooled a lot of left-wingers

JohnBrown on May 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Well, at least Bob got his hair cut for his White House visit.

wren on May 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM

“I’m only Bob Dylan when I have to be,”

- Robert Zimmerman 1986

Few things are more cliched that people complaining about Dylan’s voice or insisting that they don’t understand his appeal.

Twilight on the frozen lake
North wind about to break
On footprints in the snow
Silence down below

You’re beautiful beyond words
You’re beautiful to me
You could make me cry
Never say goodbye

Time is all I have to give
You can have it if you choose
With me you can live
Never say goodbye

Because my dreams are made of iron and steel
With a big bouquet
Of roses hanging down
From the heavens to the ground

The crashing waves roll over me
As I stand upon the sand
Wait for you to come
And grab hold of my hand

Oh, baby, baby, baby blue
You’ll change your last name, too
You’ve turned your hair to brown
Love to see it hangin’ down

rokemronnie on May 29, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I wonder if Dylan gave Hopey any campaign loot!!!

canopfor on May 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM

JohnBrown on May 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Interesting. Dad’s a huge fan. Thanks for that.

AllahsNippleHair on May 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM

To Precedent Choom:
“The answer my friend, is blow it out your a$$.”

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Nothing against Dylan or Madeleine Albright

Say what Allah?

CorporatePiggy on May 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM

JohnBrown on May 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Hmmmm. You’re turning me into a Dylan fan.

Cleombrotus on May 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I always like Dylan, But the freedom award, Come on……….

angrymike on May 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Now, for ten years we’ve been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rolling stone
But, that’s not how it used to be
When the jester sang for the king and queen
In a coat he borrowed from James Dean
And a voice that came from you and me
Oh and while the king was looking down
The jester stole his thorny crown
The courtroom was adjourned
No verdict was returned
And while Lenin read a book on Marx
The quartet practiced in the park
And we sang dirges in the dark
The day the music died
We were singin’

Bmore on May 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Props for Pat Summitt…

d1carter on May 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Here’s a medal, Bob- because the boomers did’t adore you enough for your “singing”.

We have to make sure that people who make a fortune making noise feel good about themselves.

bernverdnardo1 on May 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM

If You See Her Say Hello“.

(Dylan is capitalist enough not to allow free use of his own version.)

profitsbeard on May 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM

“The pump don’t work
‘Cause the vandals took the handle.”

Bob spent more time mocking counterculture types than praising them. In Leopard Skin Pillbox hat he’s lambasting leftist goddess Jackie O fer pity’s sake!

“Well, you look so pretty in it
Honey, can I jump on it sometime?
Yes, I just wanna see
If it’s really that expensive kind
You know it balances on your head
Just like a mattress balances
On a bottle of wine
Your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat”

Tell me that Blood on the Tracks is not one fabulous album. A breakup album sure, but it’s just sooo good.

Just like Tom thumb’s Blues

“You’re so kind,
And Careful not to go to her too soon.
But then she takes your voice,
And leaves you howling at the moon.”

Like a Rolling Stone

“You used to be so amused
At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used
Go to him now, he calls you, you can’t refuse
When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose
You’re invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal.”

Maggie’s Farm

“Well, I try my best
To be just like I am,
But everybody wants you
To be just like them.
They sing while you slave but I just get bored.”

Often profound, always fun, an archivist of the American folk genre who brought it kicking and screaming into the mainstream. A national treasure, for sure. Probably the only thing Obooba’s done right s far.

Forget the voice, then or now. He’s not trying to be Mel Torme.

Akzed on May 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM

DeweyWins on May 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I had been into 60 music but I had never heard of Phil Ochs. When I learned about who he was and how he went insane and hung himself, I found myself smiling. Does that make me evil?

thebrokenrattle on May 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Liberals approach politics as if it were their religion. Dylan wrote them hymns to sing.

For example, “Blowin’ in the Wind” which helped make Dylan famous starts off:

“How many roads must a man walk down,
before you call him a man?
[this is about racism]

And how many times must a cannon ball fly,
before they’re forever banned?”
[this is about the evil of war]

Meanwhile the Beatles were singing about stupid stuff like love. If you’re a liberal, who are you going to say is great?

If Dylan had used the same melodies and instruments as he did with his hymns (he called them “gospels”), and sung them with that same flat, hellish voice of his, but had been a conservative, he wouldn’t be valued today any more than dog crap.

Burke on May 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I like Neal Young

Apparently not enough to spell his name right.

Bat Chain Puller on May 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Well, Dylan’s “60′s music” is but a portion of his entire catalog of work; he did some of his most memorable stuff in later decades, including the mid 70s period with “Blood on the Tracks” and “Desire”, and the late 80s when he recorded a terrific album with producer Daniel Lanois (U2, Neville Brothers) in New Orleans called “Oh Mercy”.

And Dylan isn’t a raving Far Left nut like many of his critics believe; like Neil Young he’s actually come out saying some stuff that was almost conservative. He was actually an admirer of Barry Goldwater, and also became a born-again Christian at one point.

In fact, had O’Bonghit heard some of the stuff Dylan’s said, he probably would have never given him this honor!

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Bob Dylan are you really that serious… a croking dope smoking loser of the 60′s who wrote stupid lyrics. I lived in that era, my sister was a disciple. I learned from my Dad who was a jazz guitarist… that Zimmerman was a hack.

MNDavenotPC on May 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Taiwanese animation, Choom Gang.

Christien on May 29, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I admire Dylan for never going overtly political, though he was begged by his peers to do so. He knew how that would fence him in.

Also admired him for going electric despite the vicious reaction from the folkies.

And “Like a Rolling Stone” is one of the greatest songs ever.

Bat Chain Puller on May 29, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Anyway, your homework assignment: Explain Dylan’s appeal to me in the comments.

I absolutely don’t get Dylan’s appeal. Could never get past his voice to listen to the lyrics to see if he had anything worth singing about. Rod Stewart is a close second in that category.

hopeful on May 29, 2012 at 7:21 PM

With Dylan, it’s not about the destination or story, it’s about great beutiful nuggets along the way, much like fellow Minnesotan F. Scott Fitzgerald. I agree with other commenters here, that Dylan was/is not a lefty. If you had to boil down all of Dylans poetry into one sentance it would be “Don’t be a dumbass”.

LakeLevel on May 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM

“Everything Is Broken” feat. OG Choomy.

Christien on May 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM

a cult of personality obsessed with celebrity and one’s own sweet sweet self- that’s our culture- so, of course, rather than being able to honor real heroes and those who really make a difference in the lives and well being of others they opt to honor pop stars, jocks, and fellow politi-hacks.

i never liked dylan but never found him quite as obnoxious as some of his fellow folkies and hipsters. it’s rather cliched the slavish devotion to some of these old tars. contributing to the charts or record sales or churning out petulant displays of pique over a girlfriend doesn’t really contribute to or protect any one’s freedom.

jello biafra, however- yeah, totally give him a medal of freedom for just being in a band called the dead kennedys let alone for ” california über alles” and its take down of liberal clowns.

mittens on May 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM

DeweyWins on May 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM

thebrokenrattle on May 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Phil Ochs was almost as gifted a songwriter as Dylan, and had a much better voice. Well worth seeking out. His songs have been covered by everyone from Eddie Vedder to Gordon Lightfoot.

And his brother Michael, who was his manager, was perhaps the world’s preeminent archivist of rock and roll photos. He sold the 3 million+ photo archive to Getty Images 5 years ago for a truckload of money.

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I’d put Dylan’s vocal abilities only slightly below those of Mike Ditka singing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

There are much more deserving people for the Medal of Freedom than today’s recipients. Too bad the Libs made this award meaningless.

BetseyRoss on May 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM

i try to listen to nothing but dylan for months at a time. as long as possible before i just need to shake it up. and then i try to go back before i forget too much.

truly beyond explanation.

but as joan baez explains in scorsese’s ‘no direction home’, some people don’t see it, don’t want to, and don’t need to. but for those who do, he goes deep. that is where i stand.

and i love that he shows up with shades. dylan bows to no man. he does what he does, and people always come calling. obama can’t wait to bow.

difference between true cool and cool by design.

truecon on May 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM

MNDavenotPC on May 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Hmmm.

Academy Award? Check.

Grammie Award? Check.

Presidential Medal of Freedom? Check.

Cover of a Beatles album? Check.

Works covered by Jimi Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, and William Shatner? Check.

Progeny with platinum records? Check.

Outlived Davey Jones? Check.

What, exactly, constitutes winning?

JohnGalt23 on May 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM

…do you think JugEars and Dylan rolled a big fat one…before or after the ceremony?

KOOLAID2 on May 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM

mittens on May 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Um, Jello’s a Green Party member.

Does that mean he’s….Lime Jello?? (rimshot)

thebrokenrattle on May 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM

truecon on May 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Let’s be honest… it’s just as likely that Dylan forgot he was wearing them, and nobody had the stones to remind him.

JohnGalt23 on May 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Isn’t it funny when you discover that,
he really isn’t where it’s at,
after he took from you,
every thing he could steal,
Oh how does it feel?
How does it feel?
To be Obama’s home’
He’s a complete unknown
and a huge mor’on

Hening on May 29, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I learned from my Dad who was a jazz guitarist… that Zimmerman was a hack.

There was so much great jazz in the 50s and 60s, all anyone remembers is the beatles bubblegum puke.

bernverdnardo1 on May 29, 2012 at 7:33 PM

“It’s come to this,” bagging on Dylan. Slow news day?

ConservativeLA on May 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM

“I started out on burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff

Everybody said they’d stand behind me when the game got rough

But the joke was on me there was nobody even there to bluff

I’m going back to New York City I do believe I’ve had enough.”

He was never interested in being owned by his audience, and was booed more than once for ignoring their expectations. He’s the best songwriter of his generation, and whoever’s second isn’t even close. And, he discovered The Band, during one of his many self-reinventions. The music they made and he made with them during the Big Pink sessions were some of rock and roll’s finest IMO.

tomwinfl on May 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Dylan is a great songwriter though many don’t like his singing (the opposite of a post I read on Big Hollywood that liked his singing OK but trashed his songwriting). Rolling Stone rated two of his records among the all-time top ten rock albums, so not too shabby. He’s recorded hundreds of songs and since he’s never been a fixture on the radio it’s a voyage of discovery to listen to his 40-odd albums and how his music has changed so much over the years. Young people aren’t going to get him since he’s 71 years old and his last award-winning album was ‘Time Out Of Mind’ from 1997.

The Beatles appreciated Dylan’s records and they knew something about music, more than his critics I’ll bet.

waelse1 on May 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Dylan – packaged mediocrity.

GarandFan on May 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Change your name, John Galt….. Ayn Rand would agree with me.

MNDavenotPC on May 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM

mittens on May 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Um, Jello’s a Green Party member.

Does that mean he’s….Lime Jello?? (rimshot)

thebrokenrattle on May 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Add some vodka in that lime jello and you’ll be ‘Too Drunk to F@ck’.

AllahsNippleHair on May 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I grew up in that era. The Bob Dylan phenomenon…I never got it then…I don’t get it now. He never had a noteworthy voice. Couldn’t write music anywhere close to the level of the Beatles, the Stones, or any other popular group of that era. ZERO stage presence…couldn’t perform his way out of a paper bag. So what’s left? His lyrics? I never fell for that crap then. Especially not attracted to it now.

Tomolena1 on May 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Change your name, John Galt….. Ayn Rand would agree with me.

MNDavenotPC on May 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Ayn Rand would also tell me that there is no God, and that I must be less than intelligent for believing so.

I really wouldn’t trust her taste in music either. She was probably an Art Tatum fan.

JohnGalt23 on May 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM

JohnBrown on May 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Back in 1996, WBGH in Boston made a 10-part series called “Rock and Roll: An Unruly History,” which was only ever on VHS and only ever available to libraries and schools. It was fabulous, much better than a Time-Life series on rock released somewhat around the same time — lots of interviews with such stars as Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, Brian Wilson, Maceo Parker, Roger Waters, etc., and lots of great old concert and TV footage. Being the pop/rock music freak that I am, the interviews were fascinating to me because they detailed how the music evolved and grew from genres only available in certain areas of the country to a worldwide music, and there was a lot of behind-the-scenes info about how certain songs came to be written. I taped the whole thing and still enjoy every episode.

The first part of one episode was almost entirely devoted to Dylan, his music and his influence on the folk rock scene of the early 60s. An interview that a radio station in New York City had with Dylan was played and a caller asked Dylan if he was going to attend the March on Washington. Dylan basically told the guy that he had other things to do. The guy seemed to be giving Dylan a guilt trip about it, to which Dylan’s retort was [paraphrased]: “Look. I’m no father or mother to anyone. I didn’t bring any living being into the world. Who do you think I’m supposed to be responsible for?”

So, yeah, it seems to fit with what you said about the Left trying to turn him into their Woody Guthrie.

PatriotGal2257 on May 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

The appeal of Dylan and Springsteen have always mystified me. They’re both lousy singers with vapid lyrics. Neither holds any appeal with me.

Bitter Clinger on May 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Everybody gets a ribbon for participating.

WordsMatter on May 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I never cared for Dylan, and I have no idea what he could possibly have done to deserve the award. Did he stop a war or disease with song? Were his lyrics especially anti American at some point to excite the commie in chief to the point where the highest civilian honor should be bestowed upon him?

Dunno. I’m guessing that award now is as laughable as the nobel peace prize. Completely worthless, unless you’re a scum sucking liberal that is.

Wolfmoon on May 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Nothing against Dylan or Madeleine Albright

Why exactly does Madeline Halfbright rate a Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Bitter Clinger on May 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Lol at comparing Dylan and Springsteen.

Dylan is one of the most important and influential artist of the 20th century. His in the club with Picasso and Stravinsky.

Don’t believe it? You don’t get it.

….and I’m not a huge fan.

However his cultural and artistic influence is enormous. An award well deserved.

rickyricardo on May 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Obama takes just like a liberal, yes he does
He makes economic waste just like a liberal, yes he does
And he causes aches just like a liberal
But his campaign will break just like a little girl.

radjah shelduck on May 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Funny, that. Libs love to tout their superiority, particularly in the arts, and how music should bring people together, which explains why they use the music of The Beatles and Dylan, most commonly, as a cudgel with which to beat people who disagree with them.

Christien on May 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Nothing against Dylan or Madeleine Albright

Why exactly does Madeline Halfbright rate a Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Bitter Clinger on May 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Should’ve given her a basketball.

AllahsNippleHair on May 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

…..now WTF is Maddy Albright getting this medal for?

rickyricardo on May 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I’ve always liked other acts’ covers of Dylans songs, such as:

Blowin’ In The Wind – Peter, Paul & Mary
If Not For You – Olivia Newton John or George Harrison
Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door – Eric Clapton
All Along The Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix
The Mighty Quinn – Manfred Mann
Mr. Tambourine Man – the Byrds
My Back Pages – the Byrds

Bigfoot on May 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM

i remember an interview with Joan Baez and she said that for years and years people would come up to her at some protest or trendy radical chic party and say where’s dylan?

so all the little lefties were all bummed about dylan not being on the front lines with them. so sad

but obviously, the award is jumping the shark. Military awards for bravery, valor, etc. great.

civilian awards not so much. A relic of the progressive era. Regrettable we are still in the progressibve era

r keller on May 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I learned from my Dad who was a jazz guitarist… that Zimmerman was a hack.

bernverdnardo1 on May 29, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Yeah, you’re right. “Rubber Soul”, “Revolver”, “Sgt. Pepper’s” and “Abbey Road” really sucked…certainly no better than The Archies…

F-

Unlike you effete snobs, some of us can exist in a world that recognizes and admires both Charlie Parker and George Harrison.

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM

waelse1 on May 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

And we, as conservatives, should allow that leftist rag Rolling Stone to authoritatively dictate who is important and who is not in music? Granted, Rolling Stone has writers technically knowledgeable about popular music, but what of the larger cultural question about whether Dylan’s achievements were really important, or whether they were just enthusiastically embraced because they mirrored what liberals already liked and so gave them the feeling of affirmation? Conservatives should dare to address these kinds of larger question and also to challenge what the media–particularly the extremely partisan media as represented by Rolling Stone–has decided all on their own in their little bubble. And that goes for films and literature, too.

Burke on May 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

PatriotGal2257 on May 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Uh, I’m pretty sure that Woody Guthrie was the Left’s Woody Guthrie.

JohnGalt23 on May 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

thebrokenrattle on May 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I heard Phil Ochs for the first time when I was in art school in the early 80s and my illustration instructor brought in his album “Tape from California.” My instructor may have played the whole thing, but I just remember “When in Rome,” which went on 10 minutes and 14 seconds too long for me. Needless to say, I didn’t identify at all with the sentiments of it.

PatriotGal2257 on May 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

“one of the most misunderstood people of the twentieth century, often maligned, but obviously capable of great humanity.”

Bob Dylan on Ricard Nixon.

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Well, yeah, their Woody Guthrie for the New Left Generation. :)

PatriotGal2257 on May 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Whaaaaaat? Allah doesn’t get Dylan? That’s so disappointing. Oh well, in other news on the Presidential Freedom Awards front:

President Obama awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Tuesday to Dolores Huerta, an 82-year-old labor activist and co-founder of the United Farm Workers union.

Huerta is also an honorary chair of the Democratic Socialists of America.

DSA describes itself as “the largest socialist organization in the United States, and the principal U.S. affiliate of the Socialist International.”

Huerta has claimed, “Republicans hate Latinos,” and has spoken fondly of Hugo Chavez’s despotic regime in Venezuela….

Buy Danish on May 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Burke on May 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

This site blows Rolling Stone out of the water.

PatriotGal2257 on May 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I had a completely different take on this. Dylan never smiled, or looked like he was pleased to have Obama’s attention. He looked as though he was only there because it would have been rude not to show up. I don’t think he is a liberal. His singing? Not so great, but he’s growing on me after today’s appearance.

schaffies on May 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Hmm. Are we absolutely sure that’s not John Lennon?

johnnybravo on May 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM

The President is paid a salary. He is an employee of We the People.

And as his employer, I want him to take a drug test.

I doubt he would pass it.

ITguy on May 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM