Video: Noted “Choom Gang” alumnus honors spiritual leader

posted at 6:46 pm on May 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, I had to blog it for that headline alone.

Nothing against Dylan or Madeleine Albright or former Tennessee women’s hoops coach Pat Summitt, all of whom were among those who received Presidential Medals of Freedom today, but shouldn’t there be a separate/more serious award for this guy?

William Foege

A physician and epidemiologist, Foege helped lead the successful campaign to eradicate smallpox in the 1970s. He was appointed director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1977 and, with colleagues, founded the Task Force for Child Survival in 1984. Foege became executive director of The Carter Center in 1986 and continues to serve the organization as a senior fellow.

Or how about this gentleman?

Jan Karski

Karski served as an officer in the Polish Underground during World War II and carried among the first eyewitness accounts of the Holocaust to the world. He worked as a courier, entering the Warsaw ghetto and the Nazi Izbica transit camp, where he saw firsthand the atrocities occurring under Nazi occupation.

Anyway, your homework assignment: Explain Dylan’s appeal to me in the comments. I find most of 60s culture (and especially 60s music) accessible enough but I’ve never understood the Dylan phenomenon. It feels like an elaborate put-on, and yet the guy is sufficiently iconic that he could receive the country’s top civilian honor from the president at the White House while wearing shades and no one really thinks twice. Impressive. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I heard Phil Ochs for the first time when I was in art school in the early 80s and my illustration instructor brought in his album “Tape from California.” My instructor may have played the whole thing, but I just remember “When in Rome,” which went on 10 minutes and 14 seconds too long for me. Needless to say, I didn’t identify at all with the sentiments of it.

PatriotGal2257 on May 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Phil’s greatest quality was that he was sardonic as all get-out.

Perhaps the funniest song he’s ever done.

Final 2 verses are brilliant!

I vote for the democratic party
They want the U.N. to be strong
I go to all the Pete Seeger concerts
He sure gets me singing those songs
I’ll send all the money you ask for
But don’t ask me to come on along
So love me, love me, love me, I’m a liberal

Once I was young and impulsive
I wore every conceivable pin
Even went to the socialist meetings
Learned all the old union hymns
But I’ve grown older and wiser
And that’s why I’m turning you in
So love me, love me, love me, I’m a liberal

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The President is paid a salary. He is an employee of We the People.

And as his employer, I want him to take a drug test.

I doubt he would pass it.

ITguy on May 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM

As a friend of mine once put it:

I can pass any drug test… as long as you give me enough time to study for it.

JohnGalt23 on May 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

lol….looks like Bobby did a little choom before the ceremony.

Total Absorbtion dude.

Tim_CA on May 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I guess this means Obama’s going electric, if re-elected.

Christien on May 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I guess this means Obama’s going electric, if re-elected.

Christien on May 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM

That Teleprompter doesn’t run on algae ya know!

Tim_CA on May 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yep, that Dylan is a terrible singer, just like Son House, Muddy Waters, Reverend Gary Davis and Robert Johnson. Sorry that they don’t sing as pretty as Engelbert Humperdinck.

JohnBrown on May 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM

One high profile dope smoker honors another one. Never thought I’d see that in the White House.

Khun Joe on May 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM

shouldn’t there be a separate/more serious award for this guy?

I think the opposite is true. Nothing against any of the recipients but this is considered the highest civilian award the President can bestow. It recognizes those individuals who have made “an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.

Much as I admire her, her record, and understand the health problems she is facing; tell me where Pat Summitt really fits into that definition or this group.

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Maybe I’ll give him a second listen. At the time I heard him, he sounded completely tortured; any sardonic sense he conveyed went right over my head. There’s a hell of a lot of music I listen to now that I never would have considered when I was in my late teens and 20s.

I love the YouTube clip you put up!

PatriotGal2257 on May 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
I want ev’rybody to be free
But if you think that I’ll let Barry Goldwater
Move in next door and marry my daughter
You must think I’m crazy!
I wouldn’t let him do it for all the farms in Cuba.

Now who do you think Bob’s really making fun of in that verse? Hint-it’s not AuH2O.

JohnBrown on May 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM

“There is not a bigger giant in the history of American music. All these years later he’s still chasing that sound, still searching for a little bit of truth. And I have to say that I am a really big fan,” Obama added.

Take that, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley. Big fan, eh? How many Dylan shows did Obama attend? Maybe Dylan played Cominskey Field?

Christien on May 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Why is Dylan wearing sunglasses to a White House ceremony. Does he have sight problems? I’m not being snarky, it just seems inappropriate unless, of course, you need them for medical reasons. I have never particularly cared for Dylan’s work, I think it is a generational thing.

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Khun Joe on May 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Welcome to America.

JohnGalt23 on May 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Dylan never identified with the counter culturists, he just wanted to make music. Lefties projected their views on him , like they did with Obama too.

When he was young, he wanted to go to West Point and be an army officer. That never happened, but at a concert Bob found out that Norman Schwartzkopf was there, and Bob had someone seek out Norm to have him come backstage, because Bob was a fan of him.

And then you have musicians like Kristofferson who was an army officer, rated helo pilot and earned a ranger tab, but went on to be a lefty.

firepilot on May 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

..try this one, Del:

The War Planner on May 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM

A bunch of kooky liberals, lesbians and other Democrats honoring themselves. Like the Academy Awards, only stupider.

Jaibones on May 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

That photo looks like a Commie collaring a liberal.

How sad.

Key West Reader on May 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Bob Dylan was the greatest American poet of the latter 20th century. In the 21st century he’s a burn-out, takes medals from a composite impostor.

Someone’s got it in for me, they’re planting stories in the press
Whoever it is I wish they’d cut it out but when they will I can only guess
They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
I can’t help it if I’m lucky

People see me all the time and they just can’t remember how to act
Their minds are filled with big ideas, images and distorted facts
Even you, yesterday you had to ask me where it was at
I couldn’t believe after all these years, you didn’t know me better than that
Sweet lady

Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads headin’ south
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth
You’re an idiot, babe
It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe

I ran into the fortune-teller, who said beware of lightning that might strike
I haven’t known peace and quiet for so long I can’t remember what it’s like
There’s a lone soldier on the cross, smoke pourin’ out of a boxcar door
You didn’t know it, you didn’t think it could be done, in the final end he won the wars
After losin’ every battle

I woke up on the roadside, daydreamin’ ’bout the way things sometimes are
Visions of your chestnut mare shoot through my head and are makin’ me see stars
You hurt the ones that I love best and cover up the truth with lies
One day you’ll be in the ditch, flies buzzin’ around your eyes
Blood on your saddle

Idiot wind, blowing through the flowers on your tomb
Blowing through the curtains in your room
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth
You’re an idiot, babe
It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe

It was gravity which pulled us down and destiny which broke us apart
You tamed the lion in my cage but it just wasn’t enough to change my heart
Now everything’s a little upside down, as a matter of fact the wheels have stopped
What’s good is bad, what’s bad is good, you’ll find out when you reach the top
You’re on the bottom

I noticed at the ceremony, your corrupt ways had finally made you blind
I can’t remember your face anymore, your mouth has changed, your eyes
don’t look into mine
The priest wore black on the seventh day and sat stone-faced while the
building burned
I waited for you on the running boards, near the cypress trees, while the
springtime turned
Slowly into Autumn

Idiot wind, blowing like a circle around my skull
From the Grand Coulee Dam to the Capitol
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth
You’re an idiot, babe
It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe

I can’t feel you anymore, I can’t even touch the books you’ve read
Every time I crawl past your door, I been wishin’ I was somebody else instead
Down the highway, down the tracks, down the road to ecstasy
I followed you beneath the stars, hounded by your memory
And all your ragin’ glory

I been double-crossed now for the very last time and now I’m finally free
I kissed goodbye the howling beast on the borderline which separated you from me
You’ll never know the hurt I suffered nor the pain I rise above
And I’ll never know the same about you, your holiness or your kind of love
And it makes me feel so sorry

Idiot wind, blowing through the buttons of our coats
Blowing through the letters that we wrote
Idiot wind, blowing through the dust upon our shelves
We’re idiots, babe
It’s a wonder we can even feed ourselves

claudius on May 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Explain the appeal of Dylan?

*scratches his head*

I got nothing.

ynot4tony2 on May 29, 2012 at 8:39 PM

A close friend of my husband’s was Dylan’s “guitar butler” for about 20 years and he would always get in touch when they came to our town on tour. I haven’t been a fan since the 60s so I never went when hub and our daughter would go hang out backstage and get comped for the show. They always enjoyed the shows and returned with stories of how strange Dylan was: e.g., no one was allowed to look him directly in the eyes backstage.

A couple of years ago, my husband’s friend was let go in a very abrupt and insensitive way. It was political. Hub’s friend hadn’t done anything wrong — he was told it was just “time to make a change” — and it seemed excessively harsh after all their years together. I haven’t had any use for Dylan since.

jix on May 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM

how come Bob Dylan sounds so much like Dewey Cox?

Slade73 on May 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

OK, I love his voice because it’s expressive and conveys his wryness and wit.

A lot of these comments seem so sure of themselves in practically declaring Dylan’s paintings to be “degenerate Jewish/Bolshevist art” in the phrasing of noted German postcard scene painter and supreme art critic A. Schicklgruber.

I think good art is art that has layers, that can be understood in several of its dimensions and returned to again and again for deeper understanding; it often has an element of mystery at its core, that may even be in the end somewhat impossible to decipher.

Rough textures – in painting and in voice – can be beautiful because they are rough, rather than in spite of that feature. It’s the totalitarians who want only portraits of Smooth-faced Blood and Soil YMCA studs cleanly and resolutely marching toward the Radiant Future.

Most of the time
I’m clear focused all around
Most of the time
I can keep both feet on the ground
I can follow the path, I can read the signs
Stay right with it when the road unwinds
I can handle whatever I stumble upon
I don’t even notice she’s gone
Most of the time

Franklin S on May 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Explain the appeal of Dylan:

Well in his early period (61-64) folk music was almost mainstream, and he was the best folk music writer out there. Masters of War, Don’t Think Twice from Freewheelin’, The Times They are A-changin, North Country Blues and Only a Pawn in Their Game which someone quoted above (about Brian Dela Beckwith who murdered Medgar Evers, the Field Secretary of the NAACP in Jackson Mississippi summer of 63), Oxford Town, also involving Evers and James Meredith when Ole Miss was being integrated and Ross Barnett called out the state militia and a couple people were murdered by a mob, Blowin in the Wind, these were all poignant moving folk songs. Now if you were not aware of the context of what he is singing about, or don’t like the spare style of storytelling in the folk genre, it won’t mean much, but if you know about the Medgar Evers murder or the civil rights movement etc. then these are haunting songs.
In 65 Dylan went electric at the Newport Folk festival. He was always a contrarian, particularly to his fans as people mentioned above. Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde are amazing records. The melodies are very strong, the lyrical imagery is of a different world. His voice is not great, but it is authentic.
In the 1970s he had a great comeback with Desire and the Rolling Thunder tour followed by Blood onthe Tracks about his break up with his wife. Again beautiful melodies and expressive lyrics that are very moving.
I also really like some of his Christian albums. Infidels and Empire Burlesque from the ’80s were both good records. After that I stopped following him so I can’t say.

Ted Torgerson on May 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Bobby D redfined singing as we know it. He may have a “bad” voice, but his vocal approach turned music on its head and it would never be the same.

The guy is a giant and will be included in every history book and documentary as one of the top 5 artistic and cultural influences of the 20 th century and beyond. I consider him the final entry in the Great American Songbook that started with Stephen Foster, Irving Berlin Gershwin etc.

rickyricardo on May 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Marginally talented infamous coke-head supremely honored by completely untalented infamous pot-head — who also did a little coke when he could get it.

Honestly, the 0bama Administration is surreal.

FlatFoot on May 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

It’s ALL about Barry.

minnesoter on May 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Explain Dylan’s appeal to me in the comments:

Dylan was a self-invented reflection of folk legend ‘moralist’ Woody Guthrie – except more vain, cynical, and not bound for Glory.

Dylan spoke for a generation – which doesn’t speak well of that generation.

locomotivebreath1901 on May 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Pic of the Day: Diversity Is Confromity. Tolerance Is Acceptance and Approval. Choom Rations Have Been Doubled This Week In Oceania. And, We Have Always Been At War With EastAsia.

Resist We Much on May 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Khun Joe on May 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM

…BJ never let us know who was always partying with him in the Lincoln Bedroom…that’s why!

KOOLAID2 on May 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM

It occurs to me Allah is probably into Disco and techno-crap.

I had been into 60 music but I had never heard of Phil Ochs. When I learned about who he was and how he went insane and hung himself, I found myself smiling. Does that make me evil?

thebrokenrattle on May 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Ugh. Learn to edit your thoughts before you type, Creep. The answer to your question is: Yes.

A Phil Ochs sampler I’d recommend: Pleasures of the Harbor, There but for Fortune, Changes, When I’m Gone. They’re all kinda one song/melody with different lyrics, but stirringly beautiful nonetheless. And fwiw Small Circle of Friends from his Pleasures of the Harbor album is about Kitty Genovese, who Ace talked about the other day. His politics aside, I don’t know how one can help but be moved when they hear those songs.

The folkie I really loathe is Pete Seeger who was, with premeditation, a Communist propagandist (and who sang his commie song If I had a Hammer song with the stanza about property at Barry’s inauguration).

Buy Danish on May 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

…..now WTF is Maddy Albright getting this medal for?

rickyricardo on May 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM

…she’s hot?

KOOLAID2 on May 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Dylan was a poet who had a strong surrealist bent. If you’re into poetry, that’s nothing to sneeze at.

Dylan’s voice, however, was plain awful–I can’t listen to the man sing at all. And since his abilities as a composer and guitarist were middling, I don’t have a single one of his albums.

MisterElephant on May 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Dylan was a prophet. For example, he prophesied Barack Obama:

“Idiot wind, blowing like a circle around my skull
From the Grand Coulee Dam to the Capitol
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth
You’re an idiot, babe
It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe”

km on May 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Ah, very difficult to express a surrealist bent.

minnesoter on May 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Well, Bob. Ya made it to the Big TIme. Doesn’t it all seem a little anti-climatic?

minnesoter on May 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM

So, can Barry throw someone under the bus and still award him/her with the Medal of Freedom?

If so, I would like to nominate

minnesoter on May 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys did a great update of it a few years back.

CPL 310 on May 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Let me Help You: You;re Not Capable of Coherent, Rational Though.

Some of the proof of this is revealed by the fact that you refer to Dylan as a part of “60s culture” who made “60s music”.

Dylan had “Top Ten” hits songs and albums in The 60s, The 70s, The 80s, The 90s and Post-2000.

That’s just a start of where you suffer from “ignorance of the facts” about Dylan,

Here is a brief recanting of Dylan’s most recent musical achievements: “Dylan released Time Out of Mind, his first album of original material in seven years, in the fall of 1997. Time Out of Mind received his strongest reviews in years and unexpectedly debuted in the Top Ten, eventually climbing to platinum certification. Such success sparked a revival of interest in Dylan, who appeared on the cover of Newsweek and began selling out concerts once again. Early in 1998, Time Out of Mind received three Grammy Awards — Album of the Year, Best Contemporary Folk Album, and Best Male Rock Vocal. Another album of original material, Love and Theft, followed in 2001 and went gold. Soon after its release, Dylan announced that he was making his own film, to star Jeff Bridges, Penelope Cruz, John Goodman, Val Kilmer, and many more. The accompanying soundtrack, Masked and Anonymous, was released in July 2003. Dylan opted to self-produce his new studio album, Modern Times, which topped the Billboard charts and went platinum in both America and the U.K. It was Dylan’s third consecutive album to receive praise from critics and support from consumers…”

Here’s just one of the many facts about Dylan that you don’t mention: Dylan caused a shift in and influenced the songwriting style of The Beatles. John Lennon and Paul McCartney and George Harrison were three of the songwriters in that group.

Move out of your mother’s basement. Read some things – maybe go hear some music.

Here’s something to read that might help:

williamg on May 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Typo:

“Let me Help You: You’re Not Capable of Coherent, Rational Thought.”

williamg on May 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Don’t know, but if you listen to his classic country album “Nashville Skyline” you’ll hear how he sounded after he quit the habit.

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Always liked Bob Dylan (not the electric guitar so much) but that was an awesome album, maybe my favorite!

kg598301 on May 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

And of course it featured another one of my very faves, Johnny Cash! Man they sounded good together.

kg598301 on May 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Well, hopenchange is sorta…… Blowing in the wind.
That’s the Dylan connection.

FlaMurph on May 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Obama awards Bob Dylan the Medal of Freedom for being able to stay stoned continuously for 50 years.

I grew up during Dylan’s peak, and I couldn’t stand him then or now. I guess I normally like singers where one would at least have a clue as to what he is mumbling about. Not the case with Bob Dylan the mumbling stoner.

Dasher on May 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM

And Delores Huerta the biggest racist in the world.

Speakup on May 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Someone said that if you don’t like Dylan you weren’t cool, no one wanted to not be cool and pow we got forty years of raspy tone death poems and liberals who pay 120 buck to hear them…

Gwillie on May 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Well technically Delores Huerta is just an Honorary Chair

Dasher on May 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Chief and Choom’s Great Adventure.

R Square on May 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Dylan is a titan, a living legend. Nobody can write quite like him. Maybe now he’s an old fart, but back then he was a demigod from what I’ve read.

AlexB on May 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I gave Blonde on Blonde as a Christmas gift to my girl friend, in 1967. We broke up after a short, very stormy marriage in 1972. I didn’t see her again until 1985. On that occasion I gave her Blood on the Tracks. That was the last time it was possible to see her as it happened. Bob Dylan had provided the sound track and subtext of our lives.

The last album I really liked was Desire. I was out of the country during the whole Rolling Thunder thing. I didn’t see Bob Dylan in concert until Great Falls in 2005, but by then I’d long since left him in the past. Now I enjoy his older lyrics more than anything. We are richer for his work.

claudius on May 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM

“Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I’ll stand on Bob Dylan’s coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.”— Steve Earle

KennyM on May 30, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Since we are posting Bob’s lyrics…

The iron hand it ain’t no match for the iron rod
The strongest wall will crumble and fall to a mighty God
For all those who have eyes and all those who have ears
It is only He who can reduce me to tears
Don’t you cry and don’t you die and don’t you burn
For like a thief in the night, He’ll replace wrong with right
When He returns

Truth is an arrow and the gate is narrow that it passes through
He unleashed His power at an unknown hour that no one knew
How long can I listen to the lies of prejudice?
How long can I stay drunk on fear out in the wilderness?
Can I cast it aside, all this loyalty and this pride?
Will I ever learn that there’ll be no peace, that the war won’t cease
Until He returns?

Surrender your crown on this blood-stained ground, take off your mask
He sees your deeds, He knows your needs even before you ask
How long can you falsify and deny what is real?
How long can you hate yourself for the weakness you conceal?
Of every earthly plan that be known to man, He is unconcerned
He’s got plans of His own to set up His throne
When He returns.

“When He Returns” – from the “Slow Train Coming” LP
The gospel album that put a lot of Dylan fan panties in a wad.

*****************************************************************

God don’t make no promises that He don’t keep
You got some big dreams, baby, but in order to dream you gotta still be asleep

When you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain?

Counterfeit philosophies have polluted all of your thoughts
Karl Marx has got ya by the throat, Henry Kissinger’s got you tied up in knots

When you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain?

You got innocent men in jail, your insane asylums are filled
You got unrighteous doctors dealing drugs that’ll never cure your ills

When you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain?

You got men who can’t hold their peace and women who can’t control their tongues
The rich seduce the poor and the old are seduced by the young

When you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain?

Adulterers in churches and pornography in the schools
You got gangsters in power and lawbreakers making rules

When you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain?

Spiritual advisors and gurus to guide your every move
Instant inner peace and every step you take has got to be approved

When you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain?

Do you ever wonder just what God requires?
You think He’s just an errand boy to satisfy your wandering desires

When you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain?

You can’t take it with you and you know that it’s too worthless to be sold
They tell you, “Time is money,” as if your life was worth its weight in gold

When you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain?

There’s a Man up on a cross and He’s been crucified
Do you have any idea why or for who He died?

When you gonna wake up, when you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain?

“When You Gonna Wake Up?” – also from the “Slow Train Coming” LP

Jewish and born again. Bob took a lot of criticism when he “came out”.

garry on May 30, 2012 at 6:52 AM

I think calling Dylan “Jewish and born again” is probably a little too much. Dylan is probably Buddhist at best and atheist at worst. Jewish is traditional and genetic. Christian was a phase he went through, but apparently didn’t stick. Like most of us you just have to pragmatically take what you can see.

I’m old enough to have lived through the folk craze. Meh. Pretty stinky stuff with Hootenanny, Pete Seeger and PP&M. I latched onto Dylan’s electric stuff and still have a couple of vinyl disks. His voice doesn’t bother me. It’s distinctive. Waits and Kristofferson were no songbirds. There’s a cleverness and spoken meter to most of the the lyrics I like. Much like a Carlin routine. The goofy delivery is a bonus.

ironked on May 30, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I make a motion for Obama to take his ugly gold drapes with him back to Chicago after his certain defeat. Our “going away” present.

Amazingoly on May 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Pretty much!

scalleywag on May 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Go Vols

RDE2010 on May 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Dylan didn’t want the White House public to see his bloodshot eyes.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds has blinded him.

Steve Z on May 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM

The Dylan appeal? A lot of things made sense under the influence of LSD that wouldn’t otherwise…although no amount of drugs could make his Christmas album makes sense.

Speechlesstx on May 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM

…..now WTF is Maddy Albright getting this medal for?

rickyricardo on May 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM

…she’s hot?
KOOLAID2 on May 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Kim Jong-Il thought she was. Maybe if she flashes her sexy legs at Baby Kim, he might dismantle his nukes. Or maybe not.

Steve Z on May 30, 2012 at 9:51 AM

claudius on May 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM

That’s really beautiful how those albums tied into your life. I’m sorry if your ex passed. I hope you still have some good memories. Thanks for sharing them.

Ted Torgerson on May 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I love Bob Dylan. I happened to catch some early 60s black and white clips on YouTube of him. Some documentary. He was in a hotel room in London partying with the in crowd and someone threw a bottle out of the window and smashed it on the sidewalk below. The hotel manager came up and talked to Bob, and Bob dressed down the culprits and talked about having respect, etc… in every way, he comes off as a decent, well-mannered fellow. One I would be pleased to know.

Another clip I saw was him being interviewed by some public radio personality and trying to get him to define his song A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall. The guy was pressing him to say it was about nuclear fallout, and Bob said that’s not what it is about at all. It’s about a hard rain gonna fall. Then the guy asked him if his songs were parables, and he responded “The only parables I know about are in the Bible”

I was moved to read his autobiography Chronicles, Part 1. No trash, nothing juicy or sensational – just an accounting of his life – more concentrated on the music and what was happening. He gives a lot of background to his musical direction, but one thing is very clear, this guy was no hippie – he was a very serious young man.

His music is just as relevant today as it ever was. His singing voice may not be appealing, but his lyrics are fantastic and timeless, because they are true. Not for this time or that time but for all time, for they express the sadness, hope and sorrow of humanity.

Queen0fCups on May 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

KennyM on May 30, 2012 at 4:15 AM

“I’ve met Bob Dylan and his bodyguards, and I don’t think Steve could get anywhere near his coffee table.”
— Townes Van Zandt.

amazingmets on May 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Wellll, it’s not everybody who can sing with a voice that makes one think of a heifer trying to swallow a barbed wire fence.

{O.O}