Open thread: The Texas GOP senate primary; Update: Romney clinches nomination; Update: Cruz forces runoff with Dewhurst

posted at 7:23 pm on May 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

Polls close at 8 p.m. ET. Three things to watch tonight. One: Texas is going to put Romney over the top in delegates so we may get a formal victory speech from Mitt. If so, that’ll be a high-profile media-rich chance to move the spotlight away from Trump and back to his attacks on Obama’s public-equity record. Two: The One might have another long, awkward night ahead thanks once again to John Wolfe, the same Democratic longshot who made O’s spin doctors sweat before the Arkansas Democratic primary. WaPo thinks Obama will actually do better with Texas Democrats than he did in Arkansas and West Virginia — follow the last link for reasons why — but we’ll see.

Three, the main event: Establishment fave David Dewhurst vs. tea-party all-star Ted Cruz for the GOP Senate nomination. Cruz trails by double digits in all of PPP’s polling, but he doesn’t have to win tonight. All he has to do is combine with Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert to deny Dewhurst a majority, which will force a runoff on July 31. Between the (likely) lower turnout for that vote, the explosion in spending on Cruz’s behalf that’s sure to come if he hangs on tonight, and the migration — hopefully — of most of Leppert’s support to Cruz, the tea partier stands a chance of winning that race. (Expect an explosion of spending from Dewhurst too, of course. He’s already spent $12 million of his own money on the race.)

Problem is, per PPP’s last poll, Dewhurst stands at 46 percent. Can Cruz hold him under 50? Roll Call wonders if Cruz will even hold off Leppert:

Although Dewhurst and Cruz are expected to finish one-two, voters have been turned off by the constant sniping between them and the mostly negative attack ads that are running targeting each of the candidates. Some Texas Republicans say this unhappiness offers former Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert an outside shot at displacing Cruz and proceeding to a runoff. Leppert has generally been running third, but he was buoyed by the outcome of Nebraska’s GOP Senate primary.

In that contest, state Sen. Deb Fischer won after surging from third to first in the final weeks to upset frontrunner Jon Bruning and tea party favorite Don Stenberg. Nebraska Republicans turned to Fischer as an alternative to Bruning and Stenberg, who along with their supporters engaged in a bitter, negative campaign.

The Leppert campaign, well-funded and considered strong in his Dallas-Fort Worth home base, was “cautiously optimistic” heading into primary day.

“Leppert comes across as a grown-up, and he doesn’t seem angry,” the unaligned Texas GOP insider said, explaining the candidate’s appeal.

PPP had Cruz over Leppert 29/15 in their last poll so the risk of a Fischer-esque ending here seems small, especially since the Dewhurst/Cruz battle has attracted marquee Republican names. Perry and Mike Huckabee are for DD, Sarah Palin is for TC. Perry doubtless would love to see his guy clinch tonight to ease the sting of Romney clinching the presidential nomination on his home turf. Here’s the Texas Secretary of State’s page for Republican primary results, and here’s the Democratic page in case you want to keep an eye on how O’s faring. Stand by for updates.

Update: Mitt Romney is now officially your Republican nominee for president.

Update: Close but no cigar for Dewhurst. The runoff is set for July 31.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Dewhurst already spent $10 million of his own money on this race, and he will spend another $6 million in the 9 weeks until the run-off.

Who says politics doesn’t pay? Why would someone spend +$16 million for a US Senate seat?

Well KBH did pretty well funneling the sale of public infrastructure bond through her husband Ray Hutchisons law firm Vinson & Elkins. Just sayin….

elowe on May 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I answered my own question. TEXAS DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY RESULTS: Barack Obama 274,895 – 88%; John Wolf 16,264 – 5%. Not the numbers I hoped to see. However, that is still no grand mandate on the Democratic side of the aisle, either.

Mutnodjmet on May 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM

This quote from the Ron Paul forum pretty much confirms what I have always believed; Ron Paul supporters are just Obama fans that want legal drugs.

God, the ignorant Republican masses make me sick. I’m going to pray to the stars above that Obama pulverizes Romney if that’s what it comes to. I detest mainstream Republicans.

Also, there are some tinfoil wearing fools that think Romney will drop out because he doesn’t have the support Paul does. Seriously.

According to the majority of Paul supporters, Ron Paul has easily won every primary but was just screwed by rigged elections.

The Notorious G.O.P on May 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM

She may have gotten so excited that she spontaneously combusted.

alchemist19 on May 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM

was she near crackercrumbs .. peanut oil ..and a cast iron pan ?

conservative tarheel on May 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Did someone just fart?

Sekhmet on May 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

just the sort of intellect I have come to expect here at Hot Air. i don’t know why i waste my time I might as well argue w/ my TV remote. y’all have a good one.

DBear on May 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM

the left has won. our country is done for.

renalin on May 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Way to keep things in perspective.

alchemist19 on May 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM

i’m a huge Mitt supporter now-but christie is too cozy w/radical islam. He called patriots who opposed the GZM…crazies. I already know you agree with him-so save it.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Also, Krispy Kreme believes in global warming/ crap and tax.

He also refused to join the states suing Fedzilla over Obamacare. Guess that wasn’t worth it right joana???

And these are two MAJOR conservative issues, neither which is a social-con issue like you were trying to make it out to be earlier.

And yes I’m supporting Romney b/c he’s NOT Obama, but I remember you shamelessly arguing for romney over real conservatives in the primary. Just b/c I’m supporting your boy Mittens now joana doesn’t mean I like you, I never have and probably never will!

LevinFan on May 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Oh and Krispy Kreme is also a gun-grabber as well!

Conservative??? Thanks for the laugh joana!!!

LevinFan on May 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Now on behalf of the hispanic community, you nominated the biggest nativist/xenophobe and we hate him so say goodbye to Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Virginia and your shot at the presidency!

DBear on May 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM

You act as if amnesty is the ONLY issue that someone of Hispanic decent would vote on. I assure it is not for me, nor is it for anyone I’m related to, either. The reason Clinton is still very popular with Hispanics is Biden’s favorite 3 letter word, JOBS. Barry hasn’t been good for that. I guarantee you, most Hispanics in states that matter will vote for a job over amnesty. NV, VA & CO are by no means out of the question for Romney. By ANY stretch of the imagination.

lizzie beth on May 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM

cozmo on May 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM
I am not drawing conclusions based on anything about Garcia that I have not observed personally.

txmomof6 on May 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I’m with ya! Garcia is a scumbag and so is his wife Elda. The Medranos are total scum too. Family has been involved in election fraud. What a shock!

Also, glad to see Cruz doing ok. Voted him and Romney. My precinct had low turnout. We only had 118 voters today and 69 early. The poor Dems though were really slow. Only had about 20 voters and 11 early.

mrsmwp on May 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Did someone just fart?

Sekhmet on May 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

sounds and smells like it …..

conservative tarheel on May 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Did someone just fart?

Sekhmet on May 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Yes. lol

kg598301 on May 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

DBear on May 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM

We don’t know why you waste our time either.

TxAnn56 on May 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Congratulations Mr. Romney.

Flora Duh on May 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Mutnodjmet on May 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM

As Joana pointed out our Dems are all either grievance mongering minorities or bat crap crazy white liberals. The conservative Dems went Repub decades ago.

mrsmwp on May 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Fair enough.

Now let’s put him in the WH, keep beating his @ss to the right, and dump the worst president in everyone here’s lifetime.

Tim_CA on May 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Well said my brother! I didn’t want Romney, but the primary is over. Time to get to work. And that just doesn’t mean voting for Romney, it means supporting him. Making phone calls, knocking on doors, letters to the editor, donations, etc.

Being from CA, I’m sure you know this already Tim ! :)

LevinFan on May 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM

They’re showing Cruz speaking at HQ in the Galleria now. I didn’t realize Dewhurst had $200 million in personal wealth. No wonder he can sling so much mud.

TxAnn56 on May 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM

mrsmwp on May 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Oops if I’m going to insult someone should get their name right. Garcia’s wife is Elba not Elda. Been at the polls since 6am. Time for bed! BTW my precinct voted almost 100% to ditch Obamacare.

mrsmwp on May 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Wow, Ron Paul got a whole 10% of the primary vote – in his home state.

I’m suprised he got over single digits (barely).

Rebar on May 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Update: Mitt Romney is now officially your Republican nominee for president.

Sad day for America

Schadenfreude on May 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Sad day for America

Schadenfreude on May 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM

The sad day was long ago, when no true conservatives threw their hats into the ring, leaving us with the sorry bunch we had to choose from.

Rebar on May 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Anyone familiar with Michigan understand this question in PPP’s Michigan poll?

In Michigan, do you think the trees are the right
height, or not?

Flora Duh on May 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Yeah, indeed.

Viva Cuba libre!

Schadenfreude on May 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Sad day for America

Schadenfreude on May 29, 2012 at 11:25 P

As long as conservatives keep the heat on him-I think Mitt’ll be a fine president.
Go Mitt!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

D. Dewhurst* 45.4% 492,099
T. Cruz* 33.1% 358,654

63% reporting…

idesign on May 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Republicans outvoted Dems by more than 2-1 and there is no registration in Texas. You can only look at Obama’s vote in states where Dems are in closed primaries. I am sure many conservative Dems voted in the R primary for the US Senate in Texas. As far as Hispanics are concerned, I don’t believe Romney will do any worse than McCain. Economics trumps immigration despite all this stuff to the contrary. However, what Republicans need to do in both Nevada and Colorado is make sure that every Republican in registered. In Nevada, it goes beyond just Republicans, they have to make sure every Mormon is registered to counter the heavy Hispanic vote there. Obama did wonders with Dem. registration in 2008. Republicans should be out registering voters in all the swing states and some of the not so swing states as well, like PA and Wisconsin.

jake22 on May 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Rebar on May 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM

The Pennsylvania primary was months ago.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I’m scratching my head here tonight…

Romney at best had 598 delegates going into things today. This was a straw poll primary where the actual Texas convention takes place from June 7 to June 9 where actual delegates are selected – there are still over a dozen state conventions where supposedly Romney won but will likely LOSE most if not all his supposed delegates in those states…

…and the Media is calling it clinched for Romney?

This is surreal…

=8-)

mrrabbit on May 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Sean Hannity’s take for months has been get rid of the status quo and then hold the incumbents accountable for why they were elected. That stretches across both parties.

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM

The Pennsylvania primary was months ago.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

ISWYDT.

Rebar on May 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Ron Paul has also endorsed Cruz.

RightXBrigade on May 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM

A collective thanks to the Pauls and Palin? Ha!

MeatHeadinCA on May 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Anyone familiar with Michigan understand this question in PPP’s Michigan poll?

SouthernGent on May 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I lived in Michigan for a number of years. We were not all about the trees. My guess is that this was a throw away question OR more likely, another client of the pollster who wanted to know something about the height of trees.

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Sad day for America

Schadenfreude on May 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I’m saving that depiction to the idea of a second term for Obama. How sad that you support the Kenyan-born traitor over Mitt Romney.

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM

It was such a bizarre question.

SouthernGent on May 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

A collective thanks to the Pauls and Palin? Ha!

MeatHeadinCA on May 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I thanked Palin after she endorsed…and thank you, Rand Paul.
Btw: Who’s gonna be the new congressman in Doktor Gerbil’s district?

annoyinglittletwerp on May 29, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I’m proud to report that in Dallas County, with a third of the votes tallied, 93 percent of the voters voted to repeal ObamaCare.
On that note, good night!

txmomof6 on May 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM

DBear on May 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That would be another argument you would lose.

bw222 on May 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM

It was such a bizarre question.

SouthernGent on May 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

It was because of Romney’s stump speech remark about Michigan trees.

They’re trying to push the old “Romney is weird and can’t relate” meme.

In the meantime, their socially skilled candidate is provoking diplomatic conflicts left and right with his faux pas.

joana on May 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Ron Paul loses big in his home county.

They know that he is a fiscal fraud.

Kermit on May 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Looks like I’ll get to vote for Cruz in the runoff. Had I known it was going to be this close, I would have voted for him the first time. Local news was suggesting Leppart’s support would shift to Dewhurst. I hope not.

Client Number Nine on May 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Kermit on May 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I was for certain that he would win Lubbock County-he got 8%.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Anyone have any idea who the people that voted for the runner-ups (particularly Leppert) will vote in a two man race?

bw222 on May 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Hey SouthernGent, It’s a joke at Romney’s expense. So it’s a push against Romney, sounds like somebody had money to waste.

bigmike on May 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I thanked Palin after she endorsed…and thank you, Rand Paul.
Btw: Who’s gonna be the new congressman in Doktor Gerbil’s district?
annoyinglittletwerp on May 29, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Aw come on… Just send the good doctor a thank you note.

MeatHeadinCA on May 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Shocker! Senate 25
Runoff between Wentworth and Donna Campbell.

PatrickHenry599 on May 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Ron Paul loses big in his home county.

Kermit on May 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Ouch, I hate Ron Paul, but even I flinched at how bad that must have stung.

Rebar on May 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Can Cruz get within 10% tonight? It’s trending that way, going to be close.

ritewhit on May 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

“Poor Sport” comment of the Day:

Followed by this – after being proven wrong by reality:

Update: Close but no cigar for Dewhurst. The runoff is set for July 31.

With NO elaboration. WOOOP-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OH MY GAWD, That’s FUNNY!!!

Yeah – Sarah Palin was right AGAIN!!

williamg on May 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Go Dewhurst!
NObamaCare!
Congrats Mitt!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

bw222 on May 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

PPP had Leppert’s voters going 3:1 for Dewhurst in a runoff.

Still, I think Cruz still has a chance.

There are two months of campaigning and the predictably lower turnout should benefit him.

joana on May 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM

How sad thay your brain and your discernment are not engaged.

Schadenfreude on May 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM

williamg on May 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Actually-it’s we the conservative voters of Texas that were right.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 12:54 AM

thay = that

Schadenfreude on May 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Dewhurst is a vulture.
Go Cruz!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Went to vote about noon here in East Texas. There was a line at the republican table. No line at all at the democrat table. Didn’t see anybody go to that table at all in the 15 minutes or so I was there. I asked the two ladies manning it if they were lonely. They said it was a little lonely.

I was number 299.

trigon on May 30, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Sarah Palin!

Right again, as usual!

victor82 on May 30, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Update: Mitt Romney is now officially your Republican nominee for president.

Oh joy. Now we have to get some conservative Republicans in Congress to keep him “honest.”

There Goes The Neighborhood on May 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Wow, almost every Texan here voted for Cruz.

Dongemaharu on May 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Update: Mitt Romney is now officially your Republican nominee for president.

And some people thought there was no WAY Obama could win re-election. We’ll show them a thing or two!

joe_doufu on May 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Coming from South Side Chicago where La-De, Da-De, and Every Damn Body comes out to vote (living or dead) no matter the weather, it’s surprising that here in Texas, oppressive heat or monsoon rains might find a body having a whole polling place to yourself. Turnout was crap today according to my precinct workers; maybe folks thought, ‘It’s hot as Hades and Romney’s gonna win anyway and who cares about down-ticket’.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 30, 2012 at 1:32 AM

joe_doufu on May 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM

If there are any sour grapes you should take it up with the people who either threw their hat in the ring and ran lousy campaigns or the people who decided they had better, more important things to do than save America from four more years of the Bamster.

alchemist19 on May 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Well, I just woke up after a long early evening nap and am disappointed Ted Cruz didn’t get the over 50 percent win, but know their goal was to keep Dewhurst under 50 percent, so congratulations. I do not like Dewhurst. Not at all. I also saw for State Senator in a district right next to me that Conservative lion Craig Goldman bested by a mile physician Susan Todd who was heavily promoted by the Texas Medical Association. As a doctor, I wouldn’t have voted for her. You don’t have nice things to say about Obama Care in the past and think you can get away with it.

It’s funny living in Texas with the ads and robo-calls. It was like who despises Obama and the regime more. Love it.

Marcus on May 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Congrats Governor Romney!

Slainte on May 30, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Marcus on May 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Ron Paul DID NOT win Lubbock county.
Yea!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

DBear on May 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Dammit. I ad to go and have a life and I missed a chance to take a crack at DoucheBear. Damn!

AllahsNippleHair on May 30, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Ron Paul DID NOT win Lubbock county.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Ron Paul lost TX-14, his congressional district.

Guess 30 years and $31 Billion in pork can’t buy you love.

Rebar on May 30, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Ted Cruz 39.16%
David Dewhurst 45.62%

Down to a 6.46% difference.

Rebar on May 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Ron Paul lost TX-14, his congressional district.

Guess 30 years and $31 Billion in pork can’t buy you love.

Rebar on May 30, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Now it’s back to writing those newsletters for that anti-American crackpot!!

Couldn’t happen to a better guy, good riddance Rumpelstiltskin!!!

LevinFan on May 30, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Ted Cruz 39.16%
David Dewhurst 45.62%

Down to a 6.46% difference.

Rebar on May 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM

That’s enough to inspire me to make a donation. Go Cruz!!

LevinFan on May 30, 2012 at 3:00 AM

All the incumbent US representatives in TX running for re-election won the nomination for their district.

District 14: Runoff between Randy Weber and Felicia Harris

District 15: Runoff between Eddie Zamora and Dale Brueggemann

District 16: Barbara Carrasco won the nomination with 59%

District 25: Runoff between Roger Williams and Wes Riddle

District 33: Chuck Bradley won the nomination with 64%

District 34: Runoff between Adela Garza and Jessica Puente-Bradshaw

District 35: Susan Narvaiz won the nomination with 52%

District 36: Runoff between Stephen Takach and Steve Stockman

topdawg on May 30, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Aw come on… Just send the good doctor a thank you note.

MeatHeadinCA on May 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM

That would require that ALT develop a modicum of grace… something that is unlikely to happen.

JohnGalt23 on May 30, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Sekhmet on May 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

DBear on May 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM

This would be too much happiness to handle! Romney cinching the nomination, and YOU leaving…

lovingmyUSA on May 30, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Where I live in Denton County, the Republican and Democrats have completely different voting places, so I never saw what the Dems polling looked like. But, after looking at election results, they sure didn’t turn out to vote like the Republicans did. At 8 in the morning, there were 2 people ahead of me and two people behind me when I was through with the electronic voting, but only because they had 1 machine to use.

I decided to go uncommitted for POTUS, since I don’t particularly like any of the candidates that were listed, and I told the election worker that I was tempted to cross party lines to vote for that Wolfe guy just to mess with the Dems. She thought that was funny, but it also wasn’t the first time she heard it. Too bad Wolfe didn’t get anywhere near what he got in Arkansas.

cebj25 on May 30, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Wow, Ron Paul got a whole 10% of the primary vote – in his home state.

I’m suprised he got over single digits (barely).

Rebar on May 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM

A true AlGorian moment for the good doctor from Lake Jackson.

That’s gotta leave a mark!

insidiator on May 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM

joe_doufu on May 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I don’t agree that a Romney nomination means an Øbama victory, but Santorum had a whole lot of people here in Texas excited. Then he dropped out. Then Newt dropped out. Even Paul said he wasn’t going to contest any more primaries. What are you gonna do?

Odysseus on May 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Paul lost his home county by 80% and his District by even worse

jp on May 30, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Dewhurst was quoted as saying: “…and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn’t been for you meddling Tea Party Extremists. And that Dog!”

CorporatePiggy on May 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Cruz probably turned alot of people off, costing him votes accepting RuPaul’s endorsement. stupid.

jp on May 30, 2012 at 8:20 AM

A true AlGorian moment for the good doctor from Lake Jackson.

That’s gotta leave a mark!

insidiator on May 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM

The good doctor was my mother’s OB and he delivered me into this world. I lived in Lake Jackson for 19 years until I moved away for college. The locals know he’s a nutter who can’t win the presidency. They keep sending him to Congress because he’s everyone’s kooky but harmless uncle, and they have a soft spot for him.

stvnscott on May 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM

On a side note, a special shout-out to all those conservatives who helped renominate Barbara Cargill and her fellow creationists on the State Board of Education, as we can all sleep better at night knowing that Texas’s schoolchildren will be protected from the morally corrupting view that the world may be more than 6000 years old.

JFS61 on May 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Leppart’s support will shift to no show at the polls, as will much of Dewhurst’s. The runoff will be about turnout, and all the enthusiasm is on the Cruz side.

bophame on May 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM

The Notorious G.O.P on May 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM

It’s pretty evident after reading Hot Air for 3 years that most the establishment here wants to invade every country and create an American Empire.

Notorious GOP on May 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Update: Mitt Romney is now officially your Republican nominee for president.

I now officially have no horse in this race. Although I promise to do my part in helping Romney win by not voting for Obama. You’re welcome. :p

Aitch748 on May 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM

You’re welcome. :p

Aitch748 on May 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Nobody thanked you…except team 0bama.

cozmo on May 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Ron Paul loses big in his home county.

They know that he is a fiscal fraud.

Kermit on May 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Wait a tic!1 I thought RP wasn’t going to run for the house again when this term expires. When did he flip?

44Magnum on May 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Nobody thanked you…except team 0bama.

cozmo on May 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Quit whining. Governor Etch-a-Sketch has this in the bag. Obama will simply trip over his own two left feet and Romney won’t have to exert any effort to win, so quit worrying about those of us who no longer care very much which of the two candidates wins or who don’t believe that Romney would make any more difference in Washington than a Democrat would.

Aitch748 on May 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Aitch748 on May 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM

After the sustained train wreck of the last 3.5 years, your comment suggests you are either blind or willfully stupid.

CorporatePiggy on May 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I live in Dallas County…real story is the strong amount of Republican voters that showed up as opposed to Democrats. This shows close to a united front and energy the Dems are up against. A funny but sad story…I accidentally walked into the Democratic voting area where only three workers were present, no voters. After i asked where the Republican voting area was, this maggot looking worker said “Wall Street is next door”. I said “nothing wrong with Wall Street” and walked out. Shows the Democrat mentality.

bhawknine on May 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM

44Magnum on May 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM

We’re talking about how horribly he did in the presidential primary in his own home district.

In TX-14, he only got 31% of the primary vote, his home district. What a slap in the face.

Rebar on May 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

CorporatePiggy on May 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Or that he has a clue about Romney’s underlying political philosophy and about the GOP’s propensity to repeatedly stab conservatives in the back.

cavalier973 on May 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Dewhurst is just another former CIA-puke looking for lifetime tenure in Washington DC. Pure sleeze!

Jonas Parker on May 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

bhawknine on May 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Yep, reverse the democrat gains they made two years ago.

Quit whining.

Aitch748 on May 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Heh, you are the one whining.

cozmo on May 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Heh, you are the one whining.

cozmo on May 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I’m not whining, I’m indifferent. I think both candidates are silly and useless and I don’t care which wins. Occasionally I may stop by to comment for my own amusement, but I’m already bored with this particular horse race because I don’t believe that anything will change after the election. I’m already down to posting on this site maybe one out of every three or four days or so because I’m getting so bored with politics.

Aitch748 on May 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Aitch748 on May 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

You stick with that. My twelve year old sounds suspiciously like you when she claims she doesn’t whine either.

cozmo on May 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Aitch748 on May 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

The juxtaposition of your first sentence and then everything that came after it is amusing to me. So thanks for that.

alchemist19 on May 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Only 11 percent of Texas Republicans turned out for this vote.

Which means Romney got the support of less than 10 percent of Texas Republicans.

I really don’t know how long the GOP is going to survive while it backstabs the “heart” of it’s power – the SOUTH.

Boy howdie, ain’t it great that the GOP nominee was decided in states that will be voting for Obama in November. The primary system is completely hosed. The order of primaries should go to the state that delivered the highest number of votes (percentage) to the GOP nominee in the previous election – which would have put Texas UP FRONT WAAAAAAY before Iowa and these other Blue States.

Of course – the Willy McDole kiddies won’t agree with this – as they are slap-happy about the way this all played out to get their favorite squish into the nomination!

WAY TO SUCK DUDES!!

HondaV65 on May 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM

In the TX house – Joe Strauss lost 3 of his biggest supporters last night and two more are going to face runoffs.

Bob Hughes of Mineola is going to challenge Straus for the speaker position. Go Bob!

Eren on May 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Yes! Chuck Hopson is now in a runoff with Travis Clardy, and Ted Cruz is in a run off with Dewhurst.

I’ve got my signs all ready for the next two months.

jazzuscounty on May 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM