Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on May 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Remember the TV series “My Three Sons”?  Many of us probably only remember it through reruns, but it told the story of a single father raising three boys, starring Fred MacMurray and a lot of sweaters and pipes, if memory serves.  That’s actually part of the point, because Barack Obama cast himself in a new family in two speeches last week, this one called His Two Sons … and it’s not the first time:

At the Iowa State Fair Grounds on Thursday, Obama said: “We don’t need another political fight about ending a woman’s right to choose, or getting rid of Planned Parenthood or taking away affordable birth control. We don’t need that. I want women to control their own health choices, just like I want my daughters to have the same economic opportunities as my sons. We’re not turning back the clock. We’re not going back there.”

Both the transcript of the Iowa speech distributed by the White House and a video of it posted by the Des Moines Register indicated that Obama mistakenly said “my sons.”

The video of the speech posted by the Des Moines Register also shows that despite his slip about “my sons,” the president was speaking with the help of a teleprompter.

On Wednesday at the Fox Theatre in Redwood City, Calif., Obama made the same mistaken reference to “my sons.”

“We don’t need another political fight about ending a woman’s right to choose, or getting rid of Planned Parenthood, or taking away access to affordable birth control,” Obama said, according to the White House transcript of his speech. “I want women to control their own health care choices, just like I want my daughters to have the same opportunities as my sons. We’re not rolling back the clock.”

In other recent speeches, Obama delivered virtually the same line as he did at the Iowa State Fair Grounds and at the Fox Theatre but said “your sons” instead of “my sons.”

Well, the good news is that Obama doesn’t have to worry about his daughters being treated differently than his sons.  The bad news is that Obama and his speechwriters haven’t learned from their exact same mistake in January. Why not just say “our sons” and “our daughters”?  Does it always have to be about Obama himself, so much so that he and his speechwriters invent phantom sons for his speeches?

That’s all right, though.  I’m pretty sure this show will get canceled before the next season starts, and will be replaced by Happy Days.

Comments

Stoner-in-Chief probably has some sons out there. Just not acknowledged nor supported.

ProfShadow on May 29, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

beatcanvas on May 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I thnk he’s hoping for Bewitched to make a comeback

cmsinaz on May 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Paternalistic fascism.

SagebrushPuppet on May 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Why not just say “our sons” and “our daughters”? Does it always have to be about Obama himself, so much so that he and his speechwriters invent phantom sons for his speeches?

He was speaking as a worshiped diety not as BHO. He could have simply referred to all his children. Don’t you remember the song school children were being taught four years ago?

Obama loves the little children,
All the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
All are precious in His sight,
Obama loves the little children of the world.

Seriously these phantom sons come up when Obama speaks paternalistically. He honestly doesn’t see it in terms of “our sons and daughters.”

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM

but of course

Its all about the O

cmsinaz on May 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM

But if he had a son, we all know who he would look like.

ForeLeft on May 29, 2012 at 8:09 AM

If you have to ask…

crazy_legs on May 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Father Knows Best

///

lynncgb on May 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Clearly, those sons are racist for not existing.

trubble on May 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM

We are all his children. Fatherland knows best.

Fallon on May 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Actually, they will have the “same” opportunity if Obama succeeds in what he wants to do. None

sabbahillel on May 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM

He lies about the big things but he also finds time to lie about the little things too.

If he found time to read the Bible he’d no doubt try to usurp the Father of Lies himself.

CorporatePiggy on May 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM

lynncgb on May 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Note to self: Refresh before posting.

Fallon on May 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Fred McMurry also played an absent-minded professor. Kind of like our current “leader”.

Rovin on May 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Obama wrote that in right before he spoke…stop blaming the speech writers.

tinkerthinker on May 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM

We’re all Dear Leader’s children and he loves us like a father….bleccchhh!

As for the rest of the speech, can someone remind me again what abortion on demand and free contraception have to do with “women’s health care”?

Trafalgar on May 29, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Rovin on May 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Absent-minded isn’t the same thing as essentially voting present as POTUS. I think The West Wing is an apt comparison. Fake sets, fake President, fake facts being passed off as true situations in the plot lines. Teleprompters everywhere.

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Does it always have to be about Obama himself…

That’s a rhetorical question, right?

Flora Duh on May 29, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Are there any hints in the speeches about how many sons? At least 2, since he uses the plural.

Peri Winkle on May 29, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Rovin on May 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM

In “The Caine Mutiny”, he played a coward know-it-all who wouldn’t stick by his friends and compatriots when it came to taking a stand.

AubieJon on May 29, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Fallon on May 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I do the same quite often myself. Maybe we both should have thought along the lines of My Favorite Martian instead though…:)

lynncgb on May 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM

The word “our” is not in Barry Choom meister’s vocabulary.

It’s me me me my my my for the bogarter in chief stoner.

Robert Jensen on May 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM

My question is, was Mrs. O aware of these “sons” before his little oopsies?

Flora Duh on May 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Pathetic and getting more pathetic by the day.

docflash on May 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Next on Jerry Springer: Transgender children of presidents!

radjah shelduck on May 29, 2012 at 8:34 AM

AubieJon on May 29, 2012 at 8:30 AM

You’re right. Although when I think of “The Caine Mutiny” I always picture obama having a Captain Queeg moment on TV, rolling steel balls through his fingers while mumbling incoherently about FOX News.

Flora Duh on May 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Happy Days with Mitt as the Fonz and it will run for eight years. I’m into it.

FREEDOM4906 on May 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Makes me wonder if he really DOES have two sons that we don’t know about.

BigGator5 on May 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM

… the president was speaking with the help of a teleprompter.

…well…at least it wasn’t Bushes fault!

KOOLAID2 on May 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM

OT help. I’ve gone back to Firefox. How do I disable the videos from autoloading?

hawkdriver on May 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Wait, is Obama acknowledging that men have the same parental rights as women? So, does the father have a say in whether or not a baby is aborted, Baracky?

fossten on May 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM

And BTW: President Obama sounds nuts talking about his fictitious sons all the time.

hawkdriver on May 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM

hawkdriver on May 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I use adblock plus and ghostery. Not sure which one does it, but I don’t get autoplaying videos.

Lost in Jersey on May 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I anticipate Obama to start slipping “my loyal subjects” in December if he keeps office. For now, “my sons” is the closest he can afford.

Archivarix on May 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM

From your keyboard to God’s eyes!

scalleywag on May 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM

hawkdriver on May 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Flashblock

Flora Duh on May 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I have 3 sons. I can’t imagine under what circumstances I would say I had daughters. Let alone say it twice. That would be delusional.

scalleywag on May 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM

FREEDOM4906 on May 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM

yeah, thats not quite who mitt would be playing. try ritchie.

chasdal on May 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Are we going to get some kind of interesting John Edwards type announcement from The Won? His daughters are going to feel like second class citizens in their own family when these phantom sons keeping getting so much press.

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM

scalleywag on May 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Not to mention dangerous, especially if your wife has access to your family arsenal. :)

Archivarix on May 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Maybe his sons are tucked away in Indonesia, Kenya or Maldives. Maybe Jesse Jackson is already helping him manage them.

Sticky Wicket on May 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM

hawkdriver on May 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Flashblock

Flora Duh on May 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Forever in your debt.

hawkdriver on May 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Lost in Jersey on May 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Thanks

hawkdriver on May 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Flora Duh on May 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Thank you so much.

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM

That’s all right, though. I’m pretty sure this show will get canceled before the next season starts, and will be replaced by Happy Days.

Amen to that, brother!

Christian Conservative on May 29, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Happy Days… We will be waiting a while. The pilot is over budget and the studio is gearing up to fire the director, the actors and the support staff.

dogsoldier on May 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Where do these sons live? Kenya? Indonesia? or Hawaii?

Like Father like sons?

ConcealedKerry on May 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Barack Hussein Obama
Mmmm mmmm mmmm

VibrioCocci on May 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Maybe TOTUS isn’t aware that the Preezy only has the two girls. If TOTUS keeps screwing up like this, it might be demoted to the DOJ.

Maddie on May 29, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Obama said: “We don’t need another political fight about ending a woman’s right to choose, or getting rid of Planned Parenthood or taking away affordable birth control. We don’t need that. [...]“

Which by the way is a colossal straw man argument. Which Obama is wont to make. When will Obama learn a new rhetorical trick? The “I, uh, let me be clear, I’ve said this all along, *insert meaningless generalization here*, *insert bald-faced straw man argument here*” schtick, I’ve heard that 100 times. And he snidely demeans and denigrates those he disagrees with, dividing by race and class as wherever possible. His bag of tricks is small.

Paul-Cincy on May 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Just more of the messianic, father of us all speechifying from prezzy Dark Skies. This is just how Stalin used to talk cuz everything and everyone belongs to the state and he’s the head of the snake state. Some of those who live in lala land actually do want a big daddy to take care of them just not us.

Kissmygrits on May 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM

What’s the big deal, here? If you think of yourself as a divine being, all children are your daughters, as well as your sons.

In the meantime, let’s get back to the battles our own Strawman in Chief have picked. $9 a month isn’t considered affordable? And will the Pu$$y in Chief name one Republican that is putting forth legislation that would be “getting rid of Planned Parenthood?” Just one.

MNHawk on May 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Heh, kissmygrits. Great minds and all…

MNHawk on May 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Barry Obama, The Destroyer, reads whatever is put on the teleprompter just like Ron Burgundy. Obama read the Irish PM’s speech for close to three minutes and then thanked “President 0bama” before the Irish PM interrupted him saying that it was his speech. Then the boy king went on to read his speech off teleprompter.

Of course, this is what a super genius does.

jukin3 on May 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Since we are talking 50′s and 60′s TV shows, perhaps Leave it to Beaver would also be a good analogy, with Saul Alinsky and Hillary Clinton as Ward and June, Timothy Geitner as Wally, Joe Biden as Eddie Haskel and of course Barack Obama as the Beaver.

Perhaps F-Troop? Follow the zany misadventures of Obama’s bevy of Czars and we can even have a special guest appearance by Elizabeth Warren as a Hekawii Indian.

The Andy Griffith Show? We all know who Barney Fife is, and the Obama administration is full of Gomers and Goobers.

And the most obvious one is The Untouchables. The complete Chicago Democrat political machine co-star.

simkeith on May 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Happy Nomad on May 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM

The Christian deity sent his son to save the world. In the Liberal view and in Obama’s head, Obama is all-in-one God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. His very wishes create new realities that only Liberals can see, while the rest of us are too simple minded or raaacist to understand. Like all false messiahs, he’ll self-destruct. I just hope we survive this Obamagod’s political demise.

Gladtobehere on May 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Which by the way is a colossal straw man argument.

Paul-Cincy on May 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM

MNHawk on May 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Heh, kissmygrits. Great minds and all…

MNHawk on May 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Ditto.

Paul-Cincy on May 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Autoplay

BAD

koaiko on May 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM

His Two Sons

If Øbama had two sons, they would look like Trayvon Martin.

petefrt on May 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Donald Trump to demand to see copies of Barry’s sons’ birth certificates 3…2…1…

Buy Danish on May 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

So the gheys were right after all?? Two men “lovin’” is just like a man and a woman. I wonder, do the sons like more like Reggie or Barry?

Nutstuyu on May 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

With the complete vetting that Herr O got, he might have two sons out there somewhere, ya right, maybe boytoys……..

angrymike on May 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Maybe Barry does have some ‘sons’ back in the woodpile somewhere. Michelle has been reported to drop in on him unannounced – and she doesn’t like it when he’s with a gaggle of good looking women.

GarandFan on May 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Fred McMurry also played an absent-minded professor part-time lecturer. Kind of like our current “leader”.

Rovin on May 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM

FIFY

Nutstuyu on May 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM

So the gheys were right after all?? Two men “lovin’” is just like a man and a woman. I wonder, do the sons like look more like Reggie or Barry?

Nutstuyu on May 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I blame all typos on Obummer’s publisher.

Nutstuyu on May 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Sticky Wicket on May 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Indeed. Maybe we are all being short-sighted and not recognizing that Barry may indeed have several sons. Wonder if Moochelle knows.

katablog.com on May 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Choom dude.

Total Absorbtion.

Tim_CA on May 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM

His sons are just a composite of all sons he has known, for simplicity.

Spiders from Mars on May 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Flora Duh on May 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I recently read the book. The Keefer character not only threw his captain and ship-mates under the bus, but he also prematurely abandoned his ship. Keefer, not Queeg, is a fair representation of The Won.

Finbar on May 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Donald Trump to demand to see copies of Barry’s sons’ birth certificates 3…2…1…

Buy Danish on May 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

lol

hawkdriver on May 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Why not just say “our sons” and “our daughters”?

Oh, the “my sons” is deliberate subliminal manipulation. This is Papa Obama & we are all his children.

Dark Star on May 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Bet they look like Trayvon, right?? Little dear thugs in hoodies, no doubt.

coldwarrior on May 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM

He didn’t misspeak: we are all of us his spirit children.

Tzetzes on May 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Just another helpful composite for the benefit of us feeble-minded plebians. Who needs reality when you’re Barack the Magnificent?

Nicole Coulter on May 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM

After reading the article and the comments, it seems to me that the best solution would be to replace Obama himself with a PC equipped with Dragon Speak. This would achieve a new level of speech-reading accuracy! It would also minimize interruptions to Obama’s golf days: he would no longer be required to attend his speeches.

/sarc>

landlines on May 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

You’re all his “children” like the Russians were for Lenin and the Chinese for Mao.

Schadenfreude on May 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Oh really Obama? Your sons and daughters are the same?

Kick your sons and your daughters in the groin and see what happens.

Is it November yet?

dthorny on May 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Well, if Trayvon Martin could be Obama’s son, Obama might want his daughters treated differently.

It might be time for Romney to talk about his real sons, instead of Obama’s imaginary sons. You know, the kind of guys that rescue people and pooches from leaky boats.

Steve Z on May 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM

scalleywag on May 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM

How do you think his daughters feel knowing Daddy keeps talking about the sons he never had at the same time he has the media scrub all references to what his real life girls are up to.

mechkiller_k on May 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM