Ron Paul revolution is well beyond the fringe

posted at 1:31 pm on May 28, 2012 by Craig Westover

After a lengthy analysis of the Ron Paul influence evident at the Minnesota GOP Convention May 18-19 in St. Cloud (“Libertarian surge remakes state GOP,” May 20), the burning question for the Minneapolis Star Tribune Editorial Board was whether “a caucus-based political system that magnifies populist tides [and enabled Paul supporters to dominate the state convention] serves this state well.”

Couple that with a harsher Washington Post piece published in full online (“The party of Ron Paul?” May 24) — which labeled recently adopted planks in the Iowa Republican Party platform “wacky” and “nutty” and gleefully anticipated “a few highly visible fights” erupting over “Paulite positions in the national platform” — and it’s evident the Strib is a more than a little confused about what the Ron Paul revolution is all about.

Let me do what I can to clarify.

First, let’s understand what a “movement” or a “revolution” is. All movements — the Pat Robertson Republican coup in the 1980s, gay rights, women’s suffrage, civil rights and, yes, the Ron Paul movement — follow a common pattern.

Movements all begin at the margins with people who have little or nothing to lose. Unsuccessful movements never expand beyond the sloganeering fringe. Successful movements — those with an intellectual and moral basis — mature to attract a mainstream following.

The gay-rights movement is a great example. Shirtless hunks in leather tutus and motorcycling “Dykes on Bikes” are no longer the point of the gay-rights spear. It’s the gay lawyer/gay accountant, lesbian legislator/lesbian physician — same-sex couples with kids and fundamental concerns about faith, family and freedom — who are now the face of the movement.

Focusing commentary on the remnants of the gay-rights fringe is something the media would never do. But focusing on the fringe of the Ron Paul movement is exactly what the Strib and WaPo commentaries actually do.

Libertarians today are on that cusp between being all about the T-shirt and all about ideas. I was a libertarian before it was cool and a Republican when it wasn’t cool.

As a political force in the 1970s, libertarians had little to lose. They were the folks who couldn’t be Democrats because they believed their money was theirs to spend; but they couldn’t be Republicans because they wanted to spend it on drugs and prostitutes.

Times have changed.

Libertarians today are less about provocative issues and more about reversing the expanding scope of government. Government expansion is bad in itself, but the future consequences are worse: Without defined limits on government, our liberties, our American republic, are truly at risk.

But, says the Washington Post, Americans aren’t buying that argument. If it were, Ron Paul would get more than 15 percent of the primary vote.

The Strib offers its caucus-questioning advice to an implied majority of “voters who believe government remains a useful tool for improving people’s lives.” Unfortunately, that glass-half-empty perspective on the Ron Paul revolution misses a significant point.

In Ron Paul, you have a charisma-challenged old white guy who, without pandering or pushing prejudice, inspires young people with the always sexy message of monetary policy.

A viable presidential challenge built by sticking to principle, not telling people only what they want to hear, is a political story the Strib and the Washington Post would shout from the rooftops — if only the message were a message they wanted to hear.

The power of an idea, personal freedom, doesn’t lie in manufactured popularity.

What about that Paul-inspired “wacky,” “nutty” “constitutional fundamentalism” found in Republican Party platforms?

Sure, abolishing the Department of Agriculture and the Federal Reserve is not going to happen even under a President Paul. But a political party that seriously considers abolishing cabinet-level departments and unaccountable government entities is a political party that probably won’t advocate for a new cabinet-level “Department of the Internet” and is serious about monetary policy.

It’s a party that stands for something.

That brings us to the WaPo admonition that “Paulites” learn to compromise, lest, says the Strib, the philosophical gulf “that’s already proving difficult to bridge by those seeking to govern this state” grows even wider.

One does not compromise principle. It’s a cliché and a fallacy that, given two diametrically opposed points of view, the “truth” must necessarily lie somewhere in the middle.

The Republican problem is buying into the “compromise is good” argument and declaring victory for every move to the left that “could have been so much worse.”

Paulites won’t make that compromise.

Ron Paul delegates to the RNC will support the nominee. However, integral to that support is holding the candidate and the party to the fundamental principles of limited government and personal and economic freedom. Constancy to principle is the ultimate loyalty.

All that said, I urge our media friends to examine the default position that government is good and invite them to think for themselves. The Ron Paul revolution offers the media, the Republican Party and America that opportunity. Take it.

——–

Craig Westover is a Republican activist and a Ron Paul delegate to the Republican National Convention. Follow him on Twitter: @CraigWestover and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/craig.westover.

This article originally appeared in the Minneapolis Star Tribune May 26. 2012.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

I would examine the issues and support which ever nation I believed was more in the right.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Odd definition of patriotism, right there.

JohnGalt23 on May 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Unless one of the other birther nutballs shows up. Their arguments about what actually constitutes a natural, or native, born American are epic. Every time they are epic and popcorn worthy.
cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

But all types are still citizens, so I hardly see how mocking biryhers accomplishes anything.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I hardly see how mocking biryhers accomplishes anything.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

No, I guess you wouldn’t. But that’s your problem.

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Is it sexist that I laugh at the idea of the uncoordinated twerp being in the military? Because laugh I do.
W’hahahahaha.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Odd definition of patriotism, right there.

JohnGalt23 on May 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Hey!

Don’t you f*cking question my patriotism, scumbag!

Israel may be one of my issues-but it’s not the only issue. At the top is the economy…not that I really need to explain myself to a parasitic peace of trash like you.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM

If the Ron Paul people think they can send their people to the convention and represent more than his 123 delegates, they are mistaken. Rick Santorum has 243, even Newt has more.

You cannot “steal” the election in Florida, because in the states that voted, that vote is the franchise, not the vote you saw at caucuses to pick the delegates. The delegates run for a place as a Mitt Romney delegate from my state of MA, where he won them all. They didn’t run for Ron Paul delegate. The vote was taken on Super Tuesday, and Ron Paul did not win them all, he didn’t get any in Massachusetts.

You see if you ran for Mitt Romney delegate at the caucus in MA, and you prefer Ron Paul it doesn’t matter, the voters HERE tell them what to do. They sign an affadavit saying they want to be a Romney delegate. I guess now some of them are just finding that out?

Fleuries on May 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I always thought women were a little batty about military service in general, I think they have some guilt about not being forced to sign up for selective service and males kind of doing the “heavy lifting” in war.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Women have babies though and no guy envies that. Seems like it would hurt a lot. I don’t even like thinking about it so i willstop now.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Didn’t the draft not begin until 1965? He enlisted in 1963.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

From 1948 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the armed forces which could not be filled through voluntary means.

The Lottery began in 69.

A lottery drawing – the first since 1942 – was held on December 1, 1969, at Selective Service National Headquarters in Washington, D.C. This event determined the order of call for induction during calendar year 1970, that is, for registrants born between January 1, 1944 and December 31, 1950. Reinstitution of the lottery was a change from the oldest first method, which had been the determining method for deciding order of call.

I suspect the Military paid for his medical school. He never would have seen combat being a doctor anyway.. I am not on Paul’s side.. but his service isn’t an issue.

There are others I have with him.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

He stated on two different occassions that he was drafted into the Air Force. (The AF doesnt have a draft, so I am assuming he misspoke…)

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

The things I’ve read were critical of the claim that he had been drafted, given the timing and such. Not a BFD either way, five years of service is noble and worthy of respect either way.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

In my HS classes we were seated alphabetically.

I sat near Timothy Little, Elisha Joiner, Robert kindle, Bobby Lewis. All black dudes. Good times.

And I wouldn’t blame Robert k. for decking me if we ever cross paths, for what I did to him in civics class.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

W’hahahahaha.
Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

The image of an uncoordinated surgeon general comes to mind – don’t ask why.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Didn’t the draft not begin until 1965? He enlisted in 1963.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

The draft began – again – in 1940.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Odd definition of patriotism, right there.

JohnGalt23 on May 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

If patriotism meant always blindly supporting the country, I guess you vote for Obama.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM

…don’t respond to the disease!

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

*should vote for Obama, that is.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Firefly_76 on May 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Thanks man. It’s a good day and I’m having fun. I got my little one sleeping next to me while I type so it doesn’t get any better than this.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM

How old?

Mine are a girl 13 and a boy 10.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Are you an American citizen?

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Be careful how you answer that golembythehudson.

Little dante is an expert, in his own mind, about birth certificates and citizenship.

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

you misunderstand the point of the question, Dante also thinks i’m a secret zionist hoarder of American treasure coins…or something

golembythehudson on May 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

R D…why converse with puss…when there are so many other pimples to pop?

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

five years of service is noble and worthy of respect either way.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Even if one washes out of basic due to physical limitations, too.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I was getting ready to post that very link.

Like I said though, the motivation for his service is kind of moot to me. Just found it worth mentioning that he did serve a full term of service, given that he was the subject of the article and that it’s Memorial Day (with the comments centering on military service and lack thereof).

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

golembythehudson on May 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

All I have asked is a very simple question. Your fantasies and paranoid delusions are of your own making.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

…R D…why converse with puss…when there are so many other pimples to pop?

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’d much rather be discussing my infatuation with the younger Dr. Paul, believe me. ;)

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

…earlier you said “heh”…how long have you been reading here?…are you totally oblivious?

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Veterans deserve respect for their service-even Ronulan. I am not veteran.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM

you misunderstand the point of the question…
golembythehudson on May 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

With dante, its always about the birtherism…with everybody.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I was a draft dodger.

My lottery number was 63, so I promptly joined the Air Force.

A week into basic I received my draft notice.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

As I stated, I understand why he–or you–for that matter–didnt want to get shot at…I mean college kids were getting defferments just cause mommy and daddy could pay for them to go. But the good doctor had talents that could’ve helped save lives…but as I said, who wanted to go to Viet Nam and get maimed or killed?

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I did not know any of this, very interesting.

Rebar on May 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

That would indicate that, from your perspective, Obama = “the country”.

I disagree.

JohnGalt23 on May 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Doesnt matter to me either…from Clinton on, whether you fought or fled the war, hardly seemed to matter. I just find it sad that he withheld his special physician talents that could have saved some soldiers, all because he didnt want to go to the front.

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

golembythehudson on May 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

from the same exact post in the greenroom last night:

well at least you’re not questioning my citizenship this time, lol

golembythehudson on May 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Oh, but I do. It’s odd that you so often place another nation before this one, and have derision for people who aren’t citizens of that nation, expecting them to feel patriotism and loyalty to a nation that isn’t theirs. So are you an American citizen?

Dante on May 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM

golembythehudson on May 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM

One of my instructors in jet engine school had a toolbox with a bullet hole. He was hiding behind it when VC overran the flight line when he was working on a jet aircraft.

I on the other hand, spent all my time, except for basic, tech school (both, of course, stateside), and 6 months TDY in Germany (a couple months after Black September) in Kansas, first at McConell AFB and then at Forbes AFB.

No one knew where they would be at that time. But, of course, most Army grunts, ended up in ‘Nam.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

What’s the matter…run out of lube?

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Whatever freakshow.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

The image of an uncoordinated surgeon general comes to mind – don’t ask why.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

YOu mean THIS?

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Even if one washes out of basic due to physical limitations, too.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Just enklisting in the Marines is a gutsy thing.. that it didn’t work out is unfortunate.. but it doesn’t negate her having an honorable inent.

Her honesty just seemed to have earned her mockery.. I wonder how many men here would be as honest?

I left the service a year and a half early because of a major hearing loss. Training accident.. a pyro.. aan artillery simulater.. landed too close when I was crawling through some thick brush.. I heard the shrill whistle.. it landed inches away.. I scrambled back but my gear got hung up. It went off and I went 80 percent deaf in one ear. My hearing was marginal to begin with and it ended my military time. I can hear.. but only in my right ear and then not all that well.

No heroics.. no medals. Just a stupid accident.. but that is how I received an Honorable medical discharge. Just short of three years.. when I had already gotten orders to Germany.. Damn I wanted to go.
Zwiebruchen..

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

twerpie…just pet the kitties…let me keep the leash on the rabid dog!…you get enough drool from this ones spittle.

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

golembythehudson on May 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I think we are getting at the root of your problem.

People say or write “A”; you hear and see “H”.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I could be wrong, but if the AF had a shortage of doctors overseas wouldn’t they have deployed him anyway, regardless of what his enlistment conditions were intended to be? That’s what I understood of the circumstances around when my husband’s Army friends were stop-loss and being recalled up, though that’s obviously several decades later (and a different branch).

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM

How old?

Mine are a girl 13 and a boy 10.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

10, 3, 2, 1 all girls. I took care of them all weekend to give mom a break and I got today off. And this is what I do with it…lol.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM

You’re too nice to me. *smiles*
I received an entry level separation due to medical conditions(honorable)

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I totally understand, especially since you aren’t infected with the extremist Paulbot disease…and I count you as one of about 4 or 5 friends that can converse succinctly and rationally about Dr. Paul. I mainly posted that for the more rabid followers who hold this up as some reason to hero-worship him, and denigrat other candidates who didn’t…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I can dig it. You and I always have civil discussions, even on the rare occasions that the topic is one on which we disagree.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 10:22 PM

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

…why?…there’s a parking lot of people to converse with here…why do you have to run for the one pile of dog sh!t, in the whole parking lot…just to step in it?

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Even if one washes out of basic due to physical limitations, too.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Yes, because this person stepped up to serve their country…unlike those who stepped back from the line…Kind of like pissing on the candidates who lost, after making the sacrifice of time, money, and family, to serve our nation.

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Me too..

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Veterans deserve respect for their service-even Ronulan. I am not veteran.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Twerp…you stepped up to the plate, and were more than willing to serve. THAT deserves respect…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM

So you are going to try to denigrate Dr. Paul’s service on Memorial Day in order to put him in his place with respect to the other candidates that did not serve? Nice. I suppose he could have been out there with Mitt Romney, protesting in FAVOR of the draft while getting deferments. That takes a special kind of weasel.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

My daughter when she was still around one.. wouldn’t sleep unless she was laying on my chest.. My wife would always bring her to me when she was cranky and was fighting sleep..

a daddy’s touch.. all girls?

you have your hands full.. and a nice gift for your wife… Cherish them all.. I can’t imagine not being a dad now..

gotta go..

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I did not know any of this, very interesting.

Rebar on May 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

To be fair, I don’t think RP was deliberately “lying”…just misspeaking…There was no draft in the Air Force…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I was a draft dodger.

My lottery number was 63, so I promptly joined the Air Force.

A week into basic I received my draft notice.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

…you are no draft dodger! Joining the Air Force is not going to Canada…(my number was under 30…and before I got it in the mail…they pulled out…WEW!)

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I mean it though..

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM

The internet white knight thing is so played out. Since you are googling Ron Paul anti-semitism, you should google “internet white knight.”

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

My ex managed to get himself sent to Germany–he signed up before they drafted him. Was there during the Olympic Massacres. He was part of our Missle Defense (shhh, top secret). High times, he used to say…heh. Brought back a cow bell and some awesome concert posters.

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Whatever freakshow.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Oh my, I see I left a mark…run home to mommy and she may kiss it…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Now that just sounds like you’re insulting the ladies of HA…

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Don’t know the answer to that one…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM

How old?

Mine are a girl 13 and a boy 10.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

…look above you babe^^^^^^good people that were a little heated for a little period of time (or 6 months more) (:->)…. Sticks and stones may break my bones…but names will never hurt me!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Oh my, I see I left a mark…run home to mommy and she may kiss it…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I feel sorry for your husband. Poor bastage.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM

…you know what I’m talking about (:->)

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM

…you know what I’m talking about (:->)

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM

o.O

I think I do.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Poor baby…makes me think of the old line–”want some cheese with that whine?” Corney, but it is what it is…especially for you bitter Paulnuts..

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM

a daddy’s touch.. all girls?

gotta go..

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM

And all dads of girls:

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM

You are disgusting. Go hit on someone else. I’m married.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Internet White Knight http://www.dictionaryslang.com/Internet-White-Knight
Someone who stands up for girls on the internet they barely know, hopefully so they can engage in sexually intercourse with them. Usually males. They are douches who can’t get none in real life

uh… I had never heard of that before….

One problem.. I make no designs on the women I stand up for. I’m married and could never hope to find a woman who completes me as she does.

I plead guilty to this..

The Knights Code of Chivalry described in the Song of Roland and an excellent representation of the Knights Codes of Chivalry are as follows:

To fear God and maintain His Church

To serve the liege lord in valour and faith

To protect the weak and defenceless

To give succour to widows and orphans

To refrain from the wanton giving of offence

To live by honour and for glory

To fight for the welfare of all

To obey those placed in authority

To guard the honour of fellow knights

To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit

To keep faith

At all times to speak the truth

To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun

To respect the honour of women

I was a solitary child.. lots of fights.. too many.. my friends were books. The classics.. and if I am the product of that. I make no excuses for it. I’m old fashioned as Hell.. and I was an old fashioned romantic before I enlisted.

I am what I am.. I can’t help that it’s out of favor.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

It’s tough there is a group with Grant Hill as their poster boy that wants to eliminate the use of the expression “That’s So Gay”, b/c some things you can’t really describe without that expression, like the post by mark above. :)

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

One out of 14 ain’t bad. Funny that you think of yourself that way. Kind of reinforces my original suggestion unintentionally. I’m just kidding with you though. Couldn’t resist. There are a lot of humorous examples of white knighting throughout the internet, but most of them are inappropriate for this forum. I wasn’t even brave enough to post what you did lest I give someone an excuse to boot me.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I said, “Heh” sardonically. Someone implied Dr. T. was racist.

He is not. Nor, I hope, am I.

But that does not mean that am not “totally oblivious.”

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Poor bastage.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Lobo fan?

I was gonna go.. I should but it’s getting interesting.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM

LOL.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Paul voters just can’t get… if you cannot get more than a sliver of support in the GOP.. how in God’s name do you expect to win a general? Clever tricks and snaking Caucuses may make you feel all special.. but it hasn’t slowed Romney a bit has it?

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Perfect words that will fall on deaf delusional ears.

Ron Paul is not a Republican. Never has been. The Republican party needs serious change. Ron Paul is not the answer. Nor are his UN-original political stances. The Doctor didn’t sit down and pen any of the ideas he passes on.

I’d like to see the birth certificate. If we could see it we’d know some things. If Ron Paul would show us his Certificate of Alien Birth then we could all know at least what planet he is from.

How can a guy who can’t beat Gingrich and Santorum after they are out of the race, have rabid followers that think he can win anything but a congressional seat in East Texas? You are a severe minority of a few percent. A few of your views are also held by Republican’s in general, and these things are self evident. Most of what you and the doctor want, share more in common with the Democrats.

Understand that. When you share more in common with the Democrat party than you do Republicans, your best bet at gaining traction is with the Democrat party.

All you’ve got is a few hundred dedicated people in each state to go to the caucuses. You don’t have the votes or the delegates. You never will. And when this is pointed out to you people, you always come up with some crazy story about how it isn’t fair and the party has cheated, yada, yada, yada. Most of you don’t even know that your “delegates” that you “winning” at state caucuses are bound to vote for Romney. You people don’t even understand the process. And a few will write love notes back responding to this, with not so veiled, pseudo-legal semi-threatening language.

We are all aware of the debt. Duh – Self-evident. We are all aware of problems with monetary policy. Duh – Self-evident. Your stances on foreign policy and crime are non-starters. Duh – Nobody will agree to walk away from the world. Duh – Go sell those things to the Democrat party, your ideological allies, and the party that far more of you came from in the first place.

Thank God we chose to stand against the Nazis and the Japanese with WWII. Thank God we chose to stand against Communism. This world would be a different place had we not done those things. Thank God we have to chosen to protect our ally Israel. May we do that forever. And if we chose not to we will soon cease to be exist as a free nation. Israel’s enemies are our enemies. If Israel is not allowed to exist by her enemies, we will not be allowed to exist either.

When you isolate yourself from the world you are cutting your own throat.

No wonder it’s so easy to start a cult in this world. Some suckers are born every minute.

For those of you who think this is too harsh – phooey. All these Paulites have done is to defecate all over the Republican party and then look around and cry when no one will clean up their cry-baby mess. “We need them”, some will say. No we don’t. This isn’t Ross Perot who was able to get actual votes, it’s Ron Paul who can’t. If Ron Paul could get votes he would have stayed in.

Enough time spent on Ron Paul. Let’s do something constructive rather than this absolute waste.

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I feel sorry for your husband. Poor bastage.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM

My husband served his time in Hell. He was an E3 aboard the proud Battleship ENTERPRISE. Served over in Viet Nam–funny, the government was so secretive that I knew when he was over there (he couldnt tell me, of course)–but I would get letters with no return address…He was aboard when they had the awful fire…he said you never forgot the smell of burning flesh. Where did you serve?

Oh, and he was killed in a motorcycle accident two years after he came home…but if he was alive–he’d be on here pulling you up by the scruff of your fricking tshirt, punk. Though, most likely, he’d be standing back, watching me whip your keyboard ass…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM

You are disgusting. Go hit on someone else. I’m married.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Oh, you live in one of those states that allows gay marriages?

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM

To give succour to widows and orphans

God has a big heart for widows and orphans.

Mess with them; mess with God.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM

“I appreciate his service, and I understand why he chose to go into the Air Force when he recieved his draft notice. Why go over to Viet Nam and have to operate under fire?lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM ”

He was a Flight surgeon.

davod on May 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I am what I am.. I can’t help that it’s out of favor.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Alpha males are like that…Paulbots sissy’s…beta all the way…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I am shocked that you haven’t remarried. You seem like a real catch.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

When you isolate yourself from the world you are cutting your own throat.

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

And once again, an uninformed person tries to equate Paul and those who desire to see the Constitution upheld with Democrats, while in the same breath believing it is moral and “Republican” for the government to seize our wealth at the point of a gun and give it to a foreign nation, foreign military, and a foreign people.

I don’t think it’s harsh; I think it’s ignorant.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I am against using our hard earned tax dollars to fund needless wars. Especially wars that have nothing to do with us.

Uppereastside on May 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Yeah, yeah, “It’s not our war!”, “It’s needless!”, “It has nothing to do with us!”. We’ve heard it all before, over and over again. That doesn’t make it any more true. Historical fact disagrees with you.

Dunedainn on May 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Dude!

(And I don’t mean that in the HotAir sense.)

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Well, I must get ready for work. I will come back later to see if iwasbornwithit has gotten over being bitch-slapped…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Which fire? 1963, or 1969?

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I am shocked that you haven’t remarried. You seem like a real catch.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

She didn’t say she didn’t.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Someone forgot to take his Metamusil. Also, the neighbor kids are playing on your lawn again.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I am shocked that you haven’t remarried. You seem like a real catch.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Sorry sweetheart, I did it right once,and was a hippy, never married my ex (who was a mutual friend–had served in Germany at the same time, and whose friend had been killed on a motorcycle at the same time). We had two beautiful girls, but he was a democrap, and I became a republican…and it went downhill from there. We parted as friends…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I wanna be like you when I grow up.
*Big grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM

The little bastards….where’s my pepto?

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Lobo fan?

I was gonna go.. I should but it’s getting interesting.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I saw you duck behind that rock….heh

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Where did you serve?

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Bosnia and Iraq 2003-2004. And I was on the ground in the Army. Where did you serve?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Which fire? 1963, or 1969?

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM

’69–he called me from Hawaii to tell me he was ok…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 11:09 PM

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Glad you have a sense of humor. It was the “phooey” that really got me.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM

No need to make this a pissing contest, PaulBot.
You know she’d win anyway.

Dunedainn on May 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Historical fact disagrees with you.

Dunedainn on May 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Interesting thing to say.

When did Iraq attack us?

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM

When you isolate yourself from the world you are cutting your own throat.

oldroy on May 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Tell it to the Swiss… amongst the most prosperous nations on Earth. And without selling themselves into permanent alliances with anyone.

Imagine that.

JohnGalt23 on May 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM

It’s not that I believe I am that way.. but that I wish to be that way.. and I don’t want to do just the last.. it’s merely the most important to me.

It’s not bravery.. it’s a coping mechanism. I had a severe spinal injury in 04. I can walk but I live in constant pain.. heavy meds help.. but I use the things I have read to help me get through the day when the kids need attention or a chore needs done. Even if it hurts like a b*tch.

This is my hand rail.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM

No need to make this a pissing contest, PaulBot.
You know she’d win anyway.

Dunedainn on May 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Yeah. Once again, someone tries to bring up military service and it blows up in their face.

So what are you? A Mittbot? Way to go.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Iraq isn’t the nation in question and you know it. Israel is.

The way you Paultards talk, you’d be the first in line protesting the Destoyers for Bases Agreement in ’40. Along with Lindbergh. When did Germany attack us? I guess that was a war we shouldn’t have gotten involved in too, huh?

Dunedainn on May 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Sorry about that head injury then…and my grandpa, and my dad served, as well as my husband. I was in college, paid for by myself as my parents were too poor. I managed to get in on grants, scholorships, worked two jobs…and they werent drafting women…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM

So what are you? A Mittbot? Way to go.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

F^%$ no. I’m nobody’s bot. Which is more than can be said for you.

Dunedainn on May 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM