Ron Paul revolution is well beyond the fringe

posted at 1:31 pm on May 28, 2012 by Craig Westover

After a lengthy analysis of the Ron Paul influence evident at the Minnesota GOP Convention May 18-19 in St. Cloud (“Libertarian surge remakes state GOP,” May 20), the burning question for the Minneapolis Star Tribune Editorial Board was whether “a caucus-based political system that magnifies populist tides [and enabled Paul supporters to dominate the state convention] serves this state well.”

Couple that with a harsher Washington Post piece published in full online (“The party of Ron Paul?” May 24) — which labeled recently adopted planks in the Iowa Republican Party platform “wacky” and “nutty” and gleefully anticipated “a few highly visible fights” erupting over “Paulite positions in the national platform” — and it’s evident the Strib is a more than a little confused about what the Ron Paul revolution is all about.

Let me do what I can to clarify.

First, let’s understand what a “movement” or a “revolution” is. All movements — the Pat Robertson Republican coup in the 1980s, gay rights, women’s suffrage, civil rights and, yes, the Ron Paul movement — follow a common pattern.

Movements all begin at the margins with people who have little or nothing to lose. Unsuccessful movements never expand beyond the sloganeering fringe. Successful movements — those with an intellectual and moral basis — mature to attract a mainstream following.

The gay-rights movement is a great example. Shirtless hunks in leather tutus and motorcycling “Dykes on Bikes” are no longer the point of the gay-rights spear. It’s the gay lawyer/gay accountant, lesbian legislator/lesbian physician — same-sex couples with kids and fundamental concerns about faith, family and freedom — who are now the face of the movement.

Focusing commentary on the remnants of the gay-rights fringe is something the media would never do. But focusing on the fringe of the Ron Paul movement is exactly what the Strib and WaPo commentaries actually do.

Libertarians today are on that cusp between being all about the T-shirt and all about ideas. I was a libertarian before it was cool and a Republican when it wasn’t cool.

As a political force in the 1970s, libertarians had little to lose. They were the folks who couldn’t be Democrats because they believed their money was theirs to spend; but they couldn’t be Republicans because they wanted to spend it on drugs and prostitutes.

Times have changed.

Libertarians today are less about provocative issues and more about reversing the expanding scope of government. Government expansion is bad in itself, but the future consequences are worse: Without defined limits on government, our liberties, our American republic, are truly at risk.

But, says the Washington Post, Americans aren’t buying that argument. If it were, Ron Paul would get more than 15 percent of the primary vote.

The Strib offers its caucus-questioning advice to an implied majority of “voters who believe government remains a useful tool for improving people’s lives.” Unfortunately, that glass-half-empty perspective on the Ron Paul revolution misses a significant point.

In Ron Paul, you have a charisma-challenged old white guy who, without pandering or pushing prejudice, inspires young people with the always sexy message of monetary policy.

A viable presidential challenge built by sticking to principle, not telling people only what they want to hear, is a political story the Strib and the Washington Post would shout from the rooftops — if only the message were a message they wanted to hear.

The power of an idea, personal freedom, doesn’t lie in manufactured popularity.

What about that Paul-inspired “wacky,” “nutty” “constitutional fundamentalism” found in Republican Party platforms?

Sure, abolishing the Department of Agriculture and the Federal Reserve is not going to happen even under a President Paul. But a political party that seriously considers abolishing cabinet-level departments and unaccountable government entities is a political party that probably won’t advocate for a new cabinet-level “Department of the Internet” and is serious about monetary policy.

It’s a party that stands for something.

That brings us to the WaPo admonition that “Paulites” learn to compromise, lest, says the Strib, the philosophical gulf “that’s already proving difficult to bridge by those seeking to govern this state” grows even wider.

One does not compromise principle. It’s a cliché and a fallacy that, given two diametrically opposed points of view, the “truth” must necessarily lie somewhere in the middle.

The Republican problem is buying into the “compromise is good” argument and declaring victory for every move to the left that “could have been so much worse.”

Paulites won’t make that compromise.

Ron Paul delegates to the RNC will support the nominee. However, integral to that support is holding the candidate and the party to the fundamental principles of limited government and personal and economic freedom. Constancy to principle is the ultimate loyalty.

All that said, I urge our media friends to examine the default position that government is good and invite them to think for themselves. The Ron Paul revolution offers the media, the Republican Party and America that opportunity. Take it.

——–

Craig Westover is a Republican activist and a Ron Paul delegate to the Republican National Convention. Follow him on Twitter: @CraigWestover and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/craig.westover.

This article originally appeared in the Minneapolis Star Tribune May 26. 2012.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 8

morally.. she comes out a tad higher than you if you railed against the US in Iraq.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Logic fail. The question was which country she would support. That is different from what you postulated. Just because someone did not agree with Gulf war II does not mean they professed support for Iraq.

Let. It. Go.

Rebar on May 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Actually I believe Romney only has 496 actual delegates so far, Paul has nearly 200. Of course Romney will be coronated, but he has a long way to go and I for one am looking forward to watching the GOP establishment get the vapors in Tampa.

Firefly_76 on May 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Let. It. Go.

Rebar on May 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

That is sound advice from the guy that just voted for Newt. You were caught in obvious lies and then tried to backtrack (poorly, stupidly as is your nature) and now you are calling me a liar? Instead of doubling-down on dishonesty and stupid why don’t you follow your own advice and “Let. It. Go.”

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Unlike many of the Ronbots-I actually did try to serve my country. I enlisted in the USMC in 1988 and washed out of bootcamp the spring of ’89 due to a coordination problem

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Annoying little twerp,

I think you for your service. This country owes you a debt we can never repay you. :)

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Rebar on May 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Good lord you are a wuss. What is that saying in Texas? All hat and no cattle? Do you think I think that the moon colony is a great idea? Of course not. That’s what makes it somewhat interesting. Cmon if you are so sure that he won’t break single digits in TX what have you got to lose?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Don’t you hate it when you misspell a word in the perfect zinger. I do.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

i’m almost in tears -and I don’t cry.
It was Plt 4008. Nco, 4BN, PISC. Started late January 1989-graduated early April 1989. The SDI was SSgt B.J. Morgan. I’d better stop now.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM
The Brits have Marines as well.
annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

You just dug that hole a little deeper.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

All my buddies down at the VFW will be super-impressed with your boot camp washout story. Heck, they’d even ask you to join as an honorary member just so they could be regaled with your tales of valor. And then you could tell them that you don’t know who you’d support if the US and Israel went to war…wait, what?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

ALT,

You were unaware you had coordination issues prior to going to boot camp?

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

If you compare the grammar of the Paul supporters and the Paul detractors who have commented in this thread you will find that only one the groups appears to have attended school past the third grade.

Here’s a hint, it’s not the group that calls the others Nazis.

rndmusrnm on May 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I was-but I didn’t think they would be a big problem…besides…I was determined to serve my country.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

What I never understood about Paul fans is how they can still support him for president when they heard about the racist newsletter thing. Obama would have a field day with that. Last thing you want to do is run a guy against Obama who can be credibly accused of racism. Ron Paul fans think they are super duper smart but overlook this kind of basic thing.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Let it go, jerk-boy.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Go easy on the poor dear. It is totally appropriate to whine about washing out of boot camp on Memorial Day.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

annoyinglittletwerp,

Has the Kimberlin guy also targeted you for speaking out. Are you living on the run?

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Since I haven’t lied, I don’t see how you could have “caught” me.

What is that saying in Texas?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I don’t lie, if that makes me a “wuss”, then your moral compass is off kilter. Actually, there’s no doubt about that.

And I do like the moon colony idea, as well as his flat tax plan, you may search my past posts for confirmation if you desire. There’s nothing I’d like better than to leave for a new world, and leave you Ronbots, muslems, and progressives behind.

Rebar on May 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Let it go, jerk-boy.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Whatever weirdo. You are probably unaware that ALT has called ALL RP supporters like myself closet Nazis which is incredibly insulting. Far more insulting than anything that I’ve said to her. Your sense of chivalry is misplaced here.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I wish I was at that boot camp with the twerp. I bet that is some funny memories for the people with her. :)

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Let it go, jerk-boy.
davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Not exactly the most convincing post. Throw in a poopy head.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

One could be a Merchant Marine marine, I suppose.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM

No, Merchant Marine is a service. Those who serve in the Merchant Marine are called Merchant Mariners not Merchant Marines.

Happy Nomad on May 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Rebar on May 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Hmmm. Shoot neocons like Rebar into space? Congratulations, you have persuaded me!

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

There was nothing anti-semitic in my post. What is wrong with you? ALT ADMITS that she doesn’t know who she would side with if the US and Israel went to war. I’m sorry that offends me deeply as a veteran of Bosnia and Iraq. Yeah, that’s right dipstick, I was in Iraq in 2003-2004 so I guess I’m allowed to have an opinion now? Oh wait. Tell me that I’m lying on Memorial Day. Please confirm to me how despicable you really are.

ALT is also particularly reprehensible as she has accused all Paul supporters of being anti-semitic and white supremacists. Of course, you probably agree with her because that means you don’t have to actually argue foreign policy. You can just race bait and avoid real discussion.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

You openly questioned her patriotism over Israel.. Damned her because she supported them enthusiastically as unpatriotic and have the unmitigated gall to say it had nothing to do with Jews?

you’re an ass.

an Officer?

and no chump.. I do not automatically accuse people of being liars online just because I find their views repulsive. I am too old to have served in even the first Gulf War.. My time was in the cold war under that fool Carter and President Reagan.

and I met enough people in the military to know their are plenty of twisted views among the ranks.. more in the junior officer corps.

You served then came back to feel sorry for yourself.. there are vets out there who did four tours in combat who think Paul is as big a nutjob as I do.. so vets disagree.. what a frigging shock..

My wife lost family in Iraq assh*le.. and RPG took half his head off in 03.. she had three more cousins do multiple tours.. I had personal friends there.. who thank God made it home..

You’re quite the pice of work.. you scream at a woman online and denounce her because she met a host of anti-semites in the Paul crowd… and you’re surprised?

You haven’t checked under the tarp much then Sherlock.. They are easy to find. Check out Stormfront and see how much Paul is adored there..

Check out the lunatic fringe progressives website like that Stalker and SWATTER for Kumberlin that was all over the web at BradBlog…. They have great big pictures of Paul all over the website.

You were offended she met your grassroots..

Well I presume with a law school degree.. you were an officer and unless You went against type.. the JAG Corps? or a Rifle Company?

I met a few officers who didn’t have the brains of a gnat.. but the Chiefs got them through..

in short.. get in line..

we all have a story and unlike most Paul fans I don’t scream liar at first glance.. You opinion is one among a few.. out numbered by a vastly higher number.. making your view very much a tiny minority one.

The problem with Paul voters.. is they strut and puff and insult and scream traitor a lot..

I’ve read that woman a long time.. and to call her what you did was a vile ugly act of a bully who is PO’d his guy got buried.

Is this now where you call me a traitor too.. and further alienate even more people?

I do not call anti-war protesters traiters.. they have made a moral choice.. they are wrong.. but it’s an American right to be.

The point is.. you refuse to allow anyone else to have the same right you demand for yourself.. the right to be wrong in your eyes maybe but a right to her own opinion and moral choice.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You mean, neocons like Ron Paul, who voted for the Afghanistan war?

I’ll pass, in that case.

Rebar on May 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I almost wish that Ron Paul had won the nomination just to see how the National Review guys would handle it. It would be fun to see them defending the charges of racism lobbed at Ron Paul.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Happy Nomad on May 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The Brits have Marines as well.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

As do any number of nations with sea services. It’s all based on the Royal Navy model. But you never say somebody is a USMC Marine. If you feel the need to make such distinctions you say that he/she served in the USMC.

Happy Nomad on May 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

…do us a favor…and don’t let that one start pinching his zits against the screen!..OK?………..

…he has a lot of puss!

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM

‎”Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr., The Casualties of the War in Vietnam, February 25, 1967

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Your sense of chivalry is misplaced here.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Whatever, dirtbag. You need to lay off the sauce.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

America was founded in war. The Nazis were only defeated b/c of war. This is kind of a brain dead statement by MLK.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Happy Nomad on May 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

…she’s just trying to respond quicky to everyone…she’s getting it from several sides…cut her some slack brother…

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I figured you and that Mark guy were on the sauce after your very emotional posts. We all knew the annoying one had her issues before today, but I think you two (Mark and you) need to step back and critically consider the evidence.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Way to miss the point.

MelonCollie on May 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM

That’s what I meant to say.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

The point was war is the devil and peace only acheived if you don’t have war. If that’s not the point, what is?

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

MelonCollie on May 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

…I think my Collie says…to let it bark alone!

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

THe South Vietnamese were supposed to want the North Vietnamese to overrun them and subjugate them? MLK seems like a bonehead for a black dude concerned about freedom for blacks in America. You’d think he could understand the point of that war.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

And you are the epitome of reason.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

And you are the epitome of reason.
davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Not really, but I have enough sense to see she dug a big hole.

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM

The South Vietnamese? Is that like the Confederate States of America?

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

What is it about anti-Paul people and their hatred of black people?

rndmusrnm on May 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Third stage syphilis? congenital of course…

tom daschle concerned on May 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

What is it about anti-Paul people and their hatred of black people?

rndmusrnm on May 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Heh. Doc, I bet you didn’t know you are a racist.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I never said ‘Nazis’ I said that the majority of Ronbots that I met while active in Chicago Tea Parties and- the few I’ve met here(there are plenty, but I refuse to associate with them)-are Jew-haters. The majority in Chicago were also 9/11 truthers. THAT is a fact.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I seriously doubt your “facts.” You can’t accurately recite an opposing viewpoint here, so I have absolutely no confidence that you can do so in society.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM

YOU accused me of not serving, did you not? You asked the question and I answered. Since you have decided to delve deeper into my military service I was a forward observer for the field artillery and I was enlisted. I couldn’t be a JAG as I had not graduated law school yet. I would have stayed in longer than I did but the Missouri NG converted my unit to an MP unit and I had to join a chem unit which was utterly boring to me.

Thanks for the armchair analysis but you are absolutely wrong in saying that I am bitter. I certainly disagree with our foreign policy but I left the military because I could no longer do what I loved (call for fire).

As far as ALT, I can’t think of a more vile insult than calling someone a Nazi which she has said on several occasions just because I support Ron Paul. I don’t think that my responses have come anywhere near that level of insult.

She said that she didn’t know who she would support if the US and Israel went to war. You couldn’t even get a TS clearance with a statement like that in the military that she professes to love. I’m sorry, but that is not a very patriotic thing to say/believe. As much as I am opposed to our current foreign policy, I would never for one second consider supporting a foreign country against the US.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM

rndmusrnm on May 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

…the guy said bye!…several nights ago…prefers to be with his menstruating Mensa misfits…LET him go home please!

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Whatever, dirtbag. You need to lay off the sauce.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

And I haven’t had a drink in 5 years thank you very much. What’s your excuse?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Whatever, dirtbag. You need to lay off the sauce.
davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

And I haven’t had a drink in 5 years thank you very much. What’s your excuse?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Thank you for your service as well as your understanding of a constitutionally limited federal government.

rndmusrnm on May 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

…*sternly* (like your mom would do in the old days)…davidk!!!!

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM

rndmusrnm on May 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Awww. Thanks! Thank you for being one of the good guys.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

wRONg Paul is old enough to know that peace is not achieved through Pacifism. A strong society being less likely to be attacked by enemies. When attacked a strong society can defend itself from its enemies.

However, wRONg Paul is takes on the liberal mantra of “Blame America First” and America’s friends second, he allows the destruction of America without firing a shot.

Kini on May 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

So who would you support if the US and Israel went to war?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM

That has got to be about the most brain dead comment on a site with lots of brain dead goofy made by lefty’s and Paulbots and even some righty wackos.

What were you born with? Brain damage?

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM

So why did you vote for Newt instead of Romney or Paul when he has suspended his campaign and endorsed Romney?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM

You do know the difference between a primary and a national election? Right?

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Short term memory loss. That explains some things, but not others.

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

It being Memorial Day and all, now seems an apt time to point out that Ron Paul served a total of five years in the Air Force and Air National Guard.

I’ll leave it at that.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

And for gawds sakes don’t feed Dr tesla….

Tim Zank on May 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Haven’t gotten that far into the thread, but you are putting blood in the water…dont be chum bait for these bottom feeders…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM

If I asked you a question…

how is that an accusation?

I can’t know wether you did or not.. so I asked.. and now you smear me for making a false accusation?

right….

you did say you went to college.. right?

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Well she answered and said that she didn’t know who she would support. Perhaps you should be attacking that statement rather than my question unless you happen to agree with her on that issue.

FYI, the reason that I brought it up is that she identified herself as a Zionist and a patriot in the same sentence. I thought that was odd as I usually associate a “Zionist” as having an inordinate amount of affection for Israel, even to the detriment of the US. She proved me right with her answer.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM

if you cannot understand how alliances work.. Then you do not understand how the Constitution allows the executive the powers to sign treaties for the benefit of the United States.. it comes from the presidents Constitutional power to negotiate and form treaties and alliances.. the State Department answers to him.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Irony. The ONLY areas of foreign policy the Constitution grants the Executive are the ability to receive foreign diplomats and to be commander in chief. ALL foreign policy lies within the Legislative Branch, including treaties.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Oh for crying out loud. That’s the best you can do? Where were you deployed to btw?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Well she answered and said that she didn’t know who she would support.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Well, genius, its an unanswerable question.

Unless of course, you have some insight the entire world lacks?

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Thanks for your service Dr. Paul!

As for Romney: Thanks for protesting in favor of a draft for a war in which you would not participate!

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Well, genius, its an unanswerable question.

Unless of course, you have some insight the entire world lacks?

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

You’re out of your element … as usual.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I don’t it’s racist to point out that MLK was little more than Jesse Jackson on a lot of issues. He wrote some solid stuff when he was in jail but maybe he mind was more focused. Insert prison joke here.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Well, genius, its an unanswerable question.

Unless of course, you have some insight the entire world lacks?

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Well, genius, she answered it so I guess it was not an “unanswerable question.” “I don’t know” is an answer to the question. When it comes to which country one would support in a time of war, saying that you “don’t know” if you would support your own country is a bad answer. Particularly today.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Dopes, see how it pulls the thread off-topic? You guys are allowing it and it’s surrogate to take over the thread, they are passing the lube back and forth…you all need to SKIP OVER THEIR POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMMIT, I’M TIRED OF YOU GUYS LETTING IT TAKE OVER THE THREADS? AP and Ed love it as it pushes the comment count…they have to make a living at this you know. In fact, T may well be a puppet of AP’s, considering how he was never banned for threatening a fellow commenter, while the Racecard was…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I second another poster. Happy Memorial Day and thank you for your service. Hopefully Dante can give you some back up now.

Firefly_76 on May 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I’ll leave it at that.
RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

That leaves a mark, especially to those who tried and could not serve!

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Ron Paul, you deserve the 10,000 supporters you have. I do not begrudge you and your 10,000 supporters. They are vocal and passionate.

But y’all are totally fringe lunatics.

tom daschle concerned on May 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Sadly, you’re right. If he were half the man we like to remember him as, he wouldn’t have accepted Planned Parenthood’s 1966 Margaret Sanger award and written such a glowing speech praising their eugenist organization.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I think lovingmyUSA is NUTS.

I’d like to think at least 3 people are laughing at her accusation that I’m Ed and Allah’s little pet b/c I “push up the comment count”. I think they probably care more about traffic than comment count and I’m not saying I help traffic but I don’t think I hurt traffic.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

But y’all are totally fringe lunatics.

tom daschle concerned on May 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Aren’t we all according to CNN?

aryeung on May 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Firefly_76 on May 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Thanks man. It’s a good day and I’m having fun. I got my little one sleeping next to me while I type so it doesn’t get any better than this.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Kini on May 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Yes, simple enough that even a Paulbot should understand, but then that’s an oxymoron…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Thats what happens when they use their last two brains cells…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

lovingmyUSA seems like one of those NOW women in personality and maybe looks too.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You’re out of your element … as usual.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

You and bornwithit are allies…that explains a whole lot. Is bornwithit a nutball RONPAUL/2012 birther too?

As for out of my element, if it means comprehending nutball birthers like you, you may be right.

Everything else…not so much.

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

leave my friend alone. She’s a spitfire-and a helluva patriot!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I’ll leave it at that.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I appreciate his service, and I understand why he chose to go into the Air Force when he recieved his draft notice. Why go over to Viet Nam and have to operate under fire?

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM

we should ship her off to devils Island like the french did with their Israelfirsters for a few years just to be sure, you never know with those crafty……people….. RON PAUL 2012!!!!

golembythehudson on May 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

leave my friend alone. She’s a spitfire-and a helluva patriot!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

She’s an idiot and NUTS. She’s the kind of woman you glad is married to some other poor dude.

Some other guy quoted something by MLK and I posted something in response, she didn’t attack that kind for “going off thread” which let’s face it, is a phony talking point by the cyber lynch mobbers to use when they want somebody banned they don’t like for whatever reason.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

And which candidate that you support served in the military, let alone during a time of war?

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Well, genius, its an unanswerable question.

Unless of course, you have some insight the entire world lacks?

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

With it’s powers of deduction, maybe it can tell us who is going to win the presidential election…oh wait, it doesnt even know who has won the majority of primary delegates…EPIC FAIL

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM

golembythehudson on May 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Are you an American citizen?

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I want to be clear: I don’t believe for a second you are racist.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

…*sternly* (like your mom would do in the old days)…davidk!!!!

KOOLAID2 on May 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Heh.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Finally you seem to be cooling down..

I did not infer you didn’t serve..

I asked..

You mentioned law school so I asked if you were JAG.. I didn’t see you left before getting your degree. An MP unit.. I was an Air Force SP.. assigned a SAC missile base. Nuclear weapons security.

and to all Paul voters who asserted I was drinking.. I haven’t drank since 04.. I have a significant medical issue with meds which prevent that..

She never used the word Nazi I believe and I posted above why she would think Paul voters are infested with anti-semites.. I see them all the time on the web.. where ever comments are not moderated and Paul comes up.. so do they.

You cannot credibly say they are not there.. when a casual search turns up hundreds as easy a a Google click.

You want to say you favor a total withdrawal within our own borders… is that your position?

it’s Paul’s.

The complete dismantling of Social Security and Medicaid.. as many Paul voters advocate..

you loose every voter over 40.

Isolationism is not a republican principle.. not since Taft retired. We engage the world or we sit back and be a target. The worst kind of defense is a stationary fixed one.. your military service should have taught you that.. That kind of defense died with the Maginot Line.

When Al Quada can drive a nuke into any city in a pickup truck.. If they take over Pakistand or Iran slips them some.. a static defense is insane.

The Constitution grants the Congress and the president freedom to set defense policy.. no where does it say.. we are constrained to stay inside our own borders forever..

show me where it does..

Isolationists just use the Constitution as an excuse to defend their own backward isolationist policy. It’s not a suicide pact.

and frankly holding a mainstream view isn’t grounds to say I’m on the sauce as some have.

Paul voters just can’t get… if you cannot get more than a sliver of support in the GOP.. how in God’s name do you expect to win a general? Clever tricks and snaking Caucuses may make you feel all special.. but it hasn’t slowed Romney a bit has it?

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

leave my friend alone. She’s a spitfire-and a helluva patriot!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Thanks,kiddo, please put your bug spray on, there are a few low-flying mosquitoes here, trying to draw blood. I’m ignoring them because it drives them crazy. They ARE sock puppets after all…

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I’m thinking Martian.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

blockquote>lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM
What’s the matter…run out of lube?

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Are you an American citizen?

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Be careful how you answer that golembythehudson.

Little dante is an expert, in his own mind, about birth certificates and citizenship.

Unless one of the other birther nutballs shows up. Their arguments about what actually constitutes a natural, or native, born American are epic. Every time they are epic and popcorn worthy.

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

ALL foreign policy lies within the Legislative Branch, including treaties.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM

False..

the Senate must ratify.. only

they do not negotiate.. do not barter do not receive delegates or dignitaries..

they hold hearings on whether they will support and ratify a done treaty.. they do not create it.

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I want to be clear: I don’t believe for a second you are racist.

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

The elementary school I went to was like 70% black and my high school was like 50% black. Lot of the people who play the race card never even seen a black person in real life. I never had a black person who knows me accuse me of racism b/c let’s face it, if you are a white dude in SC, the LAST thing you want to talk about is race stuff with black people b/c it can get AWKWARD.

Dr. Tesla on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

False..

the Senate must ratify.. only

they do not negotiate.. do not barter do not receive delegates or dignitaries..

mark81150 on May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

You didn’t read the whole post.

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Didn’t the draft not begin until 1965? He enlisted in 1963.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Dante on May 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I’m thinking Martian.

iwasbornwithit on May 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Ah, I take you are another dantesque birther expert.

cozmo on May 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM

“God doth not need
Either man’s work or his own gifts. Who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed,
And post o’er land and ocean without rest;
They also serve who only stand and wait.”

davidk on May 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Didn’t the draft not begin until 1965? He enlisted in 1963.

RachDubya on May 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

He stated on two different occassions that he was drafted into the Air Force. (The AF doesnt have a draft, so I am assuming he misspoke…)

lovingmyUSA on May 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM