Democrats giving up on Wisconsin recall?

posted at 12:31 pm on May 27, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

How can you tell when one party thinks it will lose an election?  As the Los Angeles Times writes, when it begins to argue that the election in question doesn’t really matter.  Earlier today on C-SPAN’s Newsmakers, DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz defended the national party’s involvement in Wisconsin, pointing to a contribution of $250,000 and an e-mail appeal.  But in almost the same breath, Wasserman Schultz tried to minimize the importance of the recall election entirely:

Recent polls have pointed toward a victory for Republican Gov. Scott Walker in Wisconsin’s June 5 recall election. But here’s the clearest evidence to date that national Democratic party officials believe their side is losing: Democratic officials are playing down the potential impact.

Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) insisted in a television interview that a loss for the Democratic candidate in the recall, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, wouldn’t have any implications for other races, such as the presidential election.

“I think, honestly, there aren’t going to be any repercussions,” Wasserman Schultz said on C-SPAN’s “Newsmakers” program. “It’s an election that’s based in Wisconsin.”

No repercussions from an expensive recall flop?  That’s a little odd, considering her insistence on CNN this morning that Wisconsin is providing Democrats with “the dry run” for the presidential election.  The comments came as a fallback position in case of a Tom Barrett loss a week from Tuesday (via Twitchy):

Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz on Sunday classified Democratic efforts in the Wisconsin recall election as a “test run” for the presidential race.

“It’s given the Obama for America operation an opportunity to do the dry run we need of our massive, significant dynamic grassroots presidential campaign,” the Florida representative said of the battleground state on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

Wasserman Schultz, who is scheduled to campaign with Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett on Tuesday, said he has a “real opportunity” to oust incumbent Republican Gov. Scott Walker in the June 5 election. But she was quick to add it will also test the Obama re-election campaign and the grassroots operation in the state.

Looks to me like a lot of silver-lining mining in the dark clouds that have gathered over Wisconsin for Democrats in this recall.  If the combined might of the unions and Democrats can’t oust Scott Walker after more than a year of organizing for the effort, what does that have to say about the “dry run” that Wasserman Schultz highlights here?  The no-repercussions spin looks a lot more like pre-humiliation spin from the DNC, and a tacit admission that Democrats consider the recall all but lost already.  Let’s make sure they’re right.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

2. Has anyone seen Wasserman-Schulz and Jar Jar Binks together?

ignatzk on May 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM

..together for what reason? For purposes of procreation?

Oh, now I understand what you mean. Little slow there.

The War Planner on May 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

the for-profit interests

Rainsford on May 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I’m being completely serious when I ask:

Have you ever complained about not being paid enough?

Have you ever refused a raise?

rogerb on May 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Has anyone seen Wasserman-Schulz and Jar Jar Binks together?

ignatzk on May 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM

DWS still hasn’t gotten over the time she walked past a Star Trek convention and somebody yelled: “Great costume!”

viking01 on May 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Looks like to me, that Little Debbie needs to return to Florida to campaign for her seat that is in trouble. Karen Harringtion is hot on Little Debbie’s heels, and most of the country hopes the wide Schultz seat changes to Karen.

Amazingoly on May 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Viking
I just saw the picture again and thought” my god deb could be a clingon with no make-up “, you had to have read my mind…….

angrymike on May 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Amazingoly on May 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM

First she has to get her name on the ballot. She has until June 08.

Flora Duh on May 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Democratic officials are playing down the potential impact.

Perhaps it’s a ruse.
I hope the Repubs. have plenty of lawyers & poll watchers. Never underestimate the dirty tactics of the Left.

redridinghood on May 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM

angrymike on May 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Tough times for DWS. Given the spike in the cost of mayonnaise styling her hair is now up to $3.00 a day.

viking01 on May 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

No wonder Ed “Boom-Boom” Schultz issued an urgent call for Obama to go to Wisconsin.

gary fouse on May 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I’m sorry but poodle girl had a different tune a few months back. This election was going to prove that unions were all-powerful entities and those evil Republicans that dared mess with them would be removed from office by public outrage. What happened Debbie? Get bi*ch slapped by reality?

Happy Nomad on May 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM

viking01 on May 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I honestly don’t understand why she goes with that look when this hairstyle is much more flattering for her.

Flora Duh on May 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Spent the last three days in Wisconsin, north of I-94, west of Eau Claire. Along my 70 mile drive through small towns and residential areas, the “I Stand With Walker” signs outnumbered Tom Barrett signs by something in excess of 15 to 1.

Jaibones on May 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I saw Debbers out at a restaurant last week.

Ich.

Debb’s? Do something with yourself. Get a mani-pedi and a facial. Get a hair cut and style and for heaven’s sake get a wardrobe.

Really.

Key West Reader on May 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Two words.

Al Franken.

Freelancer on May 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Key West Reader on May 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Lolz! Love your directness, darlin’
She was that bad, eh?

OmahaConservative on May 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Don’t you believe it. Dems just want gop to relax and get complacent, you watch at the 11th hour, union thugs, acorn type groups and libs will inundating Wisc to insure votes are cast by Mickey Mouse, Elvis etc. Stay sharp cheeseheads! Don’t let dems trick you into complacency.

soapyjeans on May 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Flora Duh on May 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

…I saw that make-over too!
The problem is without the hair…it then concentrates you to how really hideous the face and mouth is!…no she’s better off with the WHOLE hideous package!

KOOLAID2 on May 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Baghdad Bob in drag.

logis on May 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM

…Baghdad Bob just rolled over in his grave!

KOOLAID2 on May 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM

She looks like the evil twin of Howdy Doody.

justltl on May 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Heh. Garage Mahal. He does have the same disingenuiousness, don’t he?

Lanceman on May 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Concentrated CONTEMPT for the Sacrifices Made By Loving Humans:

williamg on May 27, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I’m sorry, but this is hilarious and bears repeating. “Honestly” she said? WTF does that even mean in her freakin twisted little universe?

Harbingeing on May 28, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Will the voters of her district please send DWS off to a well deserved retirement at the next opportunity, where she can then get a spot as the next star correspondent for BSNBC.

dissent555 on May 28, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Perhaps it’s a ruse.

redridinghood on May 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I agree. Walker hasn’t won yet. In case nobody here has said it yet, “DON’T GET COMPLACENT!” Don’t think your vote won’t matter because you figure with all this news that Walker has it in the bag.

Jaibones on May 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Really? In Eau Claire? I figured they were the Madison of Northern WI. At least their local news seems to be of that vein. But of course that is the liberal media for you. Hopefully the citizens have a little more sense.

Sterling Holobyte on May 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM

In case nobody here has said it yet, “DON’T GET COMPLACENT!”

Sterling Holobyte on May 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM

soapyjeans on May 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Sorry Soapyjeans, didn’t see your comment about it before I posted. Glad others are still being skeptical. I won’t get complacent until it is announced that Walker has won and I see the numbers!
Until then….
Well, we only have a week to go, and then it will be over. Don’t get soft before then, fellow Walker supporters!

Sterling Holobyte on May 28, 2012 at 1:55 AM

BananaRama called. They’d appreciate it if you would stop cashing their royalty checks. It’s “Walk like an Egyptian”, not “Look like a Complete A**”

Casper the Friendly Host on May 28, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Re: Flora Duh’s remark made at 8:24 pm
I’m glad DWS doesn’t wear the hairstyle you show since, you’re right, it’s flattering. I want that evil, thug-like mug to continue to be framed by ludicrous, cutesy curls. We need that little bit of comic relief.

ansonia on May 28, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Lanceman wrote: “My hatred of unqualified black Chicago Jesus far outweighs my Presidential preference…”

The only thing Jesus Christ and Barack Obama have in common is the same middle initial.

J Baustian on May 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

J Baustian on May 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That and they were both black.
- Rev Wright

Lanceman on May 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Every time I see DWS, I swear, even when the lady is trying her damnedest not to look totally clueless, she still fails miserably!

pilamaye on May 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

DWS (Dumb White STUPID) Strikes Again!?! The DNC’s ChairLIAR is nothing short of amazing how she has learned to LIE with a straight face. She’s learned well from the J@ck@ss-In-Chief!?! Both of whom are the posterchildren for their party’s symbol, the JACKASS!?!

Colatteral Damage on May 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Shouldn’t Debbie Wasserman Schultz be pushing Hansel and Gretel into an oven or something?

pdigaudio on May 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Where is Obama, he should be in Wisconsin. All hands on deck.

newportmike on May 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM