Illinois to fix Medicaid shortfall by promoting smoking

posted at 8:01 am on May 26, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

No, this isn’t a story about Mark Block. Out in the Land of Lincoln, the state is facing a serious shortfall in their Medicaid funding. (A story which is being repeated across the nation, in case you haven’t been keeping score.) But the Governor has a plan! Fear not, citizens. We’ll raise the money to help people with their medical bills by counting on people smoking more. What could possibly go wrong?

Illinois’ Medicaid program faces a $2.7 billion shortage that its governor has promised to deal with. So how does Gov. Pat Quinn propose to close the fiscal gap for his biggest budget item and largest health program? By relying on the state’s smokers to keep puffing — and paying — away…

There are two main reasons why cigarette taxes don’t bring in the bucks their supporters promise. The first is that higher taxes encourage smuggling from nearby low-tax states. Minnesota, for example, has been ratcheting up its cigarette tax for decades — and now has one of the highest rates of cigarette smuggling in the country, according to the state’s Department of Revenue. And after New York City hiked its cigarette tax by $1.42 per pack in 2002, a report by the city’s Independent Budget Office found that more than a quarter of the city’s smokers were avoiding the cigarette taxes. (Tax evasion cost the city an estimated $40 million in 2006.) This is a nationwide problem: Estimates indicate that states lose an estimated $5 billion tax revenue to tobacco smuggling each year.

These people never learn. We’ve previously shown you how other states have fared when they try to balance their budgetary foolishness on the backs of “sinners” with sin taxes. It doesn’t work. Regulating behavior by taxing it generally produces the exact opposite of the intended effect. If you don’t believe me, ask the moonshiners.

If you want to fix entitlement programs, do it. There are propositions on the table, even in Illinois. It’s going to require fiscal discipline and sacrifice on every level, but with enough willpower it could be done. But trying to buy your way out of it by scapegoating one segment of society, regulating free behavior and “taxing your way to prosperity” is a plan we’ve tried. Just look around to see the results.

But maybe.. just maybe… if we raise our voices now we can…

Ooops. Too late.

Comments

One, tobacco is still a legal substance. Two, democrats still need money for their schemes. Might end the debate.

mike0993 on May 26, 2012 at 8:10 AM

What is wrong with these smokers? Why won’t they step up like Biden suggested and do the patriotic thing and destroy their health so the extra taxes can go into the black hole of government social spending? Quit smoking, bah. Buying from out of state, bah. Buying from Indian reservations, bah. Black markt, bah. Inconsiderate and unpatriotic, the lot of them.

Makes you wonder just how many smokers actually voted for these idiots?

TQM38a on May 26, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Many states have tried to raise revenue by promoting gambling.

Since cigarettes won’t work, I guess prostitution is next.

Dextrous on May 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Not while one group of people makes youtubes of you pushing granny off a cliff if you try.

Odysseus on May 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Rush was right.

He talked about this YEARS ago when states first tied thier Medicaid funding to the cigarette tax that it would come to this. Illinois is just the first state broke enough to do it.

Democrat//Progressives/Socilists must be proud. Situational ethics at work again.

Terri on May 26, 2012 at 8:27 AM

How is taxing cigarettes promoting them?

keep the change on May 26, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I for one, qiut smokeing right after the feds started to tax smokes. I hate children I guess because my taxes, so they said, was to help SCHIP?. So I then gave them the middle finger and quit. Just like that… also my little at that time, 5 year old son told me he did not want me to be sick and should stop because its “icky”, finished the last pack and have not looked back.

watertown on May 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Bhaaaa….. “quit smoking” my typo.

watertown on May 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I’m also not clear on how sin tax actually promotes the behavior, or “generally produces the exact opposite of the intended effect”. I can see how taxing behavior produces criminals, in that people evade the law (see moonshiners, indeed), and I certainly can see the moral idiocy of trying to fund dead-end government programs on the back of sin taxes, but not how sin tax actually increases the targeted behavior.

paul1149 on May 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Many states have tried to raise revenue by promoting gambling.

Since cigarettes won’t work, I guess prostitution is next.

Dextrous on May 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

One of the first things Quinn did was raise the number of gambling licenses here in Illinois…..did a lot of good, didn’t it?

tencole on May 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM

First, the Lottery was going to save Illinois,
Next the Casinos were going to save Illinois,
Next, Obambi was going to save Illinois,
The Olympics will bring us salvation!
NATO will bring us HUGE new revenues!
Now…Smokers will save Illinois.
Really?
Hey Quinn, Madigan and Rahm,
Stick that in your pipes and smoke it.

Stuck here, for now.

ChicagoBlues on May 26, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Many states have tried to raise revenue by promoting gambling.

Since cigarettes won’t work, I guess prostitution is next.

Dextrous on May 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

That’s Fluked up.

Doughboy on May 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Many states have tried to raise revenue by promoting gambling.

Since cigarettes won’t work, I guess prostitution is next.

Dextrous on May 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Governor Quinnochio opposes a gambling bill here because he doesn’t want slot machines at race tracks.

Let’s see. You don’t want people to gamble on slot machines at a facility where everybody in attendance is already gambling on horses.

Got it, gov. Makes sense.

predator on May 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM

tencole on May 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM

It doesn’t matter how much “new revenue” the clowns in this state find. They’ll spend every dime on something other than the debt. *see Richard Daley and the parking meter deal.*

predator on May 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM

How is taxing cigarettes promoting them?

keep the change on May 26, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Because they expect and plan on people buying the same amount or more cigarettes rather than the effect this tax will have, fewer people buying cigarettes. Dems just don’t understand raising taxes on something means less people will buy it. Some Democratic think tank once did a national tax study where they “confiscated” all earnings above 500k or some similar number, they actually had the gall to project the tax revenues for that on a SECOND YEAR, like everyone would just keep giving everything they made to the Government. They just don’t get it, basic economics that is.

Mini-14 on May 26, 2012 at 9:02 AM

So people now need to smoke more so that medicaid can be funded. That is how raising tax on cigarettes is, in a convoluted way, encouraging smoking. It neeeds people to keep smoking or smoke more to provide the money needed. But for the Governor, who is a Democrat, taxing has to be the solution to almost every problem. It is unthought of to cut spending in another area.

lukjuj on May 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM

So let me get this right, people who smoke cigarettes will take steps to avoid paying more in taxes. They must all be the one percent kinds or rich folk….

I know I am shocked to read Americans are trying to pay less in taxes. Shocked.

DVPTexFla on May 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM

How is taxing cigarettes promoting them?

If no one smokes, the $2.7 billion Medicaid shortfall grows. The state literally needs people to smoke and pay the tax, but you knew this.

Fallon on May 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Illinois is helpless and hapless at this point. The legislators can’t effectively solve any of the problems they created. Together with lobbyists and PAC’s, they just make things more complicated, more obscure, and worse.

MarkT on May 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Just another way “progressives” sneak a regressive tax in through the back door. Same with asinine energy policies that drive the cost of virtually everything upward.

I find it interesting that liberals think companies pay tax increases (out of the kindness of their hearts?) rather than increasing prices or cutting back their workforce, yet when these “sin” taxes are passed, it goes without saying that the tax is passed onto the consumer.

stout77 on May 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM

BTW- the next step? Exempt casinos, bars and racetracks from the statewide ban on smoking in public places. Because they’re private property, doncha know?

MarkT on May 26, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Just like in the old USSR -Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, government controlled commerce led to the Black-market flourishing in the USSR.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Now…Smokers will save Illinois.
Really?
Hey Quinn, Madigan and Rahm,
Stick that in your pipes and smoke it.

Stuck here, for now.

ChicagoBlues on May 26, 2012 at 8:47 AM

It’s not only smokers….

llinois government is getting larger and becoming financially dependent on questionable personal behaviors. Here’s 3 examples from this week’s legislative action alone:
1. STRIP CLUBS: If Governor Quinn signs HB 1645 into law, on January 1, 2014, every person that walks into a nude bar or strip club will have to pay a $3 tax to the state. HB 1645 allows “live adult entertainment facilities” to pay the tax either per person or at one time, from $5,000 to $25,000 annually, depending on their businesses’ gross revenue. SB 1645 unanimously passed the Illinois House and Senate.
2. GAMBLING: The Illinois House passed legislation this week to expand gambling in Illinois with five new casinos, including one in Chicago. In addition, video slot machines will be added at horse race tracks. If this expansion bill passes the Senate, Illinois will become even more dependent on destructive gambling behavior.
3. SMOKING: The Illinois legislature passed two bills Thursday that are part of a package to reduce the $2.7 billion Medicaid hole in the state budget while expanding Obamacare in Cook County. The last part of the package is a $1 per pack cigarette tax. The anticipated tax hike will increase Cook County cigs to nearly $100 per carton.

These are three behaviors that Illinois now needs to encourage in order to meet budget gaps. So, which is it? Do we encourage these behaviors in order to get the expected revenue into Illinois treasuries? Or do we discourage these activities because in the long run it costs everyone – including innocent family members and neighbors – not just the participants.

That’s the least of Illinois’ problems anyways. Pat Fitzgerald is retiring….and guess who gets to replace the US Attorney for the Northern Illinois District….ya know, THE most corrupt district in all the country?….that’s right Obama and his pal Durbin.
Now THAT’S scary.

tencole on May 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Sure enough Illinois isn’t a right to work state unlike their neighbor Minnesota. Always look for the Union Label :)

Dr Evil on May 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Liberals-democrats want Americans to stop smoking. They just do not want Americans to stop buying cigarettes…

DVPTexFla on May 26, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Many states have tried to raise revenue by promoting gambling.

Since cigarettes won’t work, I guess prostitution is next.

Dextrous on May 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I wonder if one can use their food stamp cards.

CW on May 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM

They say ( dimocRATs ) that disproportionately the blacks and the poor smoke more than others, yet the poor think the dimocRATs are for the working ppl, why do they hate the poor so much?

angrymike on May 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM

They should just mandate that everyone must buy several cartons of cigarettes each month, even if they don’t smoke. It is, after all, for the children.

Oldnuke on May 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM

It is funny how it progressed from: “Taxing cigarettes will discourage people from smoking and make them healthier.” To: “As long as people are going to be unhealthy and smoke, we might as well tax them and use the money to pay to make others healthy.” To: “We need you to keep smoking so we can keep medicaid viable.”

I lived in sales tax free Delaware. Before I left, it was being suggested to enact a “modest” and “temporary” sales tax of 1-2% to pay for a budget shortfall. Let’s see how modest and temporary it stays.

tdarrington on May 26, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I buy my cigs in North Carolina while I travel on the I-95 – 6 months worth on the way up and 6 months worth on the way down. That’ll teach those states to raise the tax!

honsy on May 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM

This is why the “legalize marijuana – and other drugs – so you can tax them” argument fails. (I am for legalization, because I hate the criminal organizations that prohibition creates.)

What you are doing is promoting the destruction of people’s health & lives for tax revenue. Even if higher taxation worked, it would be at the expense of years of people’s lives. My uncle died from smoking one month before the birth of his first grandchild. I would never promote such behavior.

rbj on May 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM

when oblahblah raised the tax on smokers after promising not to raise my taxes I quit after almost 30 years. If he goes after bourbon, it’s on.

Les in NC on May 26, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Now if these ppl were so smart they would figure out how to make marijuana legal, without letting you grow your own, then the could tax it and start getting some of the Obama fortune ….

angrymike on May 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Tax evasion cost the city an estimated $40 million in 2006

Isn’t it amusing how the static analysis the Dem’s use to figure out how much revenue a tax will bring in NEVER works?

Also, this is IL – over 60% of the people voted for Obama – don’t they want to pay their fair share?

18-1 on May 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM

honsy on May 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I like my plan better. I just quit smoking….in 1974. Seriously why don’t people just buy a machine and order the makings to roll their own? The machines look simple enough to use and you can order bulk tobacco cheap enough (for now). If I still smoked I’d dang sure be manufacturing my own by now.

Oldnuke on May 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I suspect with the enormous budget shortfalls everywhere that legalizing drugs and gambling will be coming to many states.

18-1 on May 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I suspect with the enormous budget shortfalls everywhere that legalizing drugs and gambling will be coming to many DemoRat-run states.

18-1 on May 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM

FIFY

honsy on May 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM

The juxtaposition of two smokers’ pics on the main page is just too delicious!

honsy on May 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I woud love to sit in on an Illinois DARE class.

blammm on May 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Send in Barry and his Choom Gang of merry men!

Sherman1864 on May 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Illinois … an unindictable co-conspirator

J_Crater on May 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Illinois to fix Medicaid shortfall by promoting smoking

Dishonesty that starts from the headline. Imagine where the article can go from there.

lester on May 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM

mo-lester has woken up from his drunken stupor at last!

honsy on May 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM

…if you like your cigarettes…you can keep your cigarettes…
They are going after the rich again!/

KOOLAID2 on May 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM

lester

…the festering jester

KOOLAID2 on May 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

A little smokin music please…

RalphyBoy on May 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Odysseus on May 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM

That was actually my cousin Mabel. The family was grateful. No one evr liked her.

katy the mean old lady on May 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM

mo-lester has woken up from his drunken stupor at last!

honsy on May 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Attacking me instead of arguing the topic at hand? Cute and unsurprising on Hotair.

lester on May 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM

lester
…the festering jester
KOOLAID2 on May 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Ooh, a second attack! I’m almost scared now. So are we going to discuss the dishonest title or you just know you don’t have any point to make?

lester on May 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

*shrug* Taxes or not, I had to quit this week, as my BP was found to have gone up to 170/110, which is up 80 pts from my norm, 90/70. Should I do the “patriotic” thing and keep smoking, so I can “pay my fair share”?

Ummmm…not. Just quitting smoking dropped it down 10 points.

And before I made that decision, because of the high prices (taxes), I had already cut down to a pack every other day. Sometimes I wouldn’t buy any for 3-4 days.

sage0925 on May 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM

When in doubt, raise taxes. When not in doubt, raise taxes. Simple solution for simple minds. And as far as liberals go, ‘you can’t fix stupid’.

GarandFan on May 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Don’t tell me Illinois doesn’t have at least that much in fraud and abuse of the system. These programs, however well intentioned, are highly inefficient. Target the criminals for a nice change of pace, and stop looking for the honest citizen to keep maintaining the contemptible status quo.

lynncgb on May 26, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Illinois to fix Medicaid shortfall by promoting smoking

lester on May 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Sounds like logic isn’t your strong suit.

The purpose of the tax isn’t to discourage people from smoking. It’s designed to increase state revenues by taxing a certain behaviour (smoking). The more that behaviour is performed, the more revenue the state collects (minus black market, etc.).

Simply put, the state doesn’t want people to stop smoking. For the state to collect more money, people must smoke more.

Mitoch55 on May 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Smoking helps governments two ways: first by the taxes raised and, second, by the fact that smoking related illnesses reduce the time people spend collecting retirement benefits.

Most smokers do not reap what they have sown until after their productive working life. Governments like to harp on the fact that smokers cost so much for their “final illness.” Guess what, all of us will face a “final illness” but smokers tend to fore go about five years of medical costs before experiencing theirs.

I have not smoked in three decades and I guess that makes me unpatriotic.

Laurence on May 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Did you and Willy Tyler break up the act?/

S. D. on May 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

OldNuke;
I did just that back in 1992….and, never looked back. I roll my own everyday with the little machine and tubes with filters attached and they taste great. I smoke 2-3 packs per day and it costs me about $70 per month for the tobacco and tubes. I’m in California so we have the extra tax on loose tobacco but we got around that by relabling it as “pipe tobacco” instead of “cigarette tobacco”. Pipe tobacco isn’t hit with the extra taxes….don’t ask why, we just accept it and enjoy the savings. And there is a website, ryo.com , that you can buy from and save scads of money. I love screwing over the goverment before they can screw me over. Soooooo Satisfying…..lol

MONACO1121 on May 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Since cigarettes won’t work, I guess prostitution is next.

Dextrous on May 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

…well…Mooch WILL be moving back in November!…oh that’s mean…I should not have said that…lester the festering jester will grab onto that disrespect!

KOOLAID2 on May 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

lester on May 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

…that’s not an attack sweetie…do something productive and clean your skidmarks up today…ok?

KOOLAID2 on May 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

lester on May 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

If they expect to close the short fall on their medicade funds by raising taxes on cigs. then they need the smokers to continue to smoke. What other conclusion are we to draw than they are encouraging smoking?

chemman on May 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Sounds like logic isn’t your strong suit.

Mitoch55 on May 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The headline says promote. That has an obvious meaning. Are they putting up billboards saying: “Smoking is good for you”? No, and they’re not doing anything remotely similar to that. Whether they get more revenue out of the increased tax rate is to be determined, however, there is no way in hell people would be encouraged to smoke more because it’s more expensive now.

The headline is a big fat lie.

lester on May 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

lester on May 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

You live by personal attacks and insults. Your every single comment is proof of that.

lester on May 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM

chemman on May 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Are they promoting smoking? Is there a statewide ad blitz of some kind telling people to smoke?

If they tax gas would they be promoting driving? If they tax capital gains would that be promoting investment?

lester on May 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM

The headline is a big fat lie.

lester on May 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

. . . as is the mo-lester!

(YUP! Another personal attack – something that lie-berals NEVER do!)

honsy on May 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM

The choice is clear, more regulation and higher taxes for the productive citizens. It has worked so well in the past!

jukin3 on May 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Oldnuke on May 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM

It’s already the law. Didn’t you read page 1529 of Obamacare?

MJBrutus on May 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM

lester on May 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM

…are you getting wet lester?…I’m crying!
…do you ever read the majority of your own comments?
…I’m just pharting too!

KOOLAID2 on May 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM

MONACO1121 on May 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Good for you. I think the internet work around is calling it multi-use tobacco or some such but it’s obviously cigarette tobacco. You can probably even save sales tax by buying over the net. If you have the room tobacco isn’t that hard to grow either and a few plants a year will make all the tobacco you need. Is that machine as easy to use as it looks?

Oldnuke on May 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM

It’s already the law. Didn’t you read page 1529 of Obamacare?

MJBrutus on May 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Not yet I’m only up to page 1358 :-)

Oldnuke on May 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM

The headline is a big fat lie.

lester on May 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

…red herring!…red herring!…red herring!…LOOK!

KOOLAID2 on May 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Fallon on May 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I understand that they need people to smoke, but the headline was incorrect. Taxing something does not PROMOTE it. In fact, raising taxes on anything, serves only, if anything, to discourage it.

This is like saying that the police encourage speeding with speed traps. Sure, the money for the tickets is required. But the ticket does not, in any way, promote speeding.

keep the change on May 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM

The machine is very easy to use. I roll 3 packs each evening while watching the news, put them in the fridge and I’m all ready for the next day. I store the 1lb. bags of tobacco in the up-right freezer to keep them fresh cause I live in the desert and we average 105 to 110 degrees in the summer. Drys everything out including people. lol

MONACO1121 on May 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM

The problem in IL is the entitlement program that lawmakers haven’t fixed and may never be motivated to fix which is the one where they keep entitling themselves to taxpayers money just because they can by passing legislation that entitles them to sweeten up their own individual pension deals where they can actually pick the one that will pay them more or even get a pick-two to double their retirement comfort.

Here’s an example of the kind of everyday self-serving legislation that gets through the IL General Assembly.

Click here to read about IL HB5761.

Via WTTW:

Illinois Republican Party Chairman Pat Brady released the following statement on the Illinois General Assembly passage of the special tax bailout for state Rep. Monique Davis.

“During the worst fiscal crisis in Illinois history Speaker Mike Madigan is throwing Chicago Public Schools under the (school) bus in order to give a tax bailout to Madiganville resident state Rep. Monique Davis. Rep. Davis’ inability to pay property taxes on her government office will burden Chicago Public Schools with a $450,000 bill and will take up state resources; Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan is representing Rep. Davis during the dispute with CPS in the state Court of Claims. Davis has refused to pay property taxes on her office, which is owned by Chicago Public Schools, for the better part of a decade. During that time she has voted for countless tax increases on Illinois citizens, including the recent 67% tax increase the Governor signed into law last year.”

BTW, the IL AG Madigan in the story is the daughter of House Speaker Madigan. And Chicago Mayor “tiny dancer” Rahmbo just happened to be in Springfield the day the House passed the bill. The bill still has to pass the IL Senate and be signed into law by Gov. Quinnocchio, but the IL House has already indicated it’s inability to do anything but further damage to the finances of Illinois.

It’s amazing and unblankinbelievable how many of these we keep unearthing while the mentally imbalanced dumbmass zombie libturd voters in this state keep sending the same ethics-averse corruptocrats back to Springfield. There appears to be no limit to the ridiculousness or depths of depravity the thugnocrats in this state will go to in order to help themselves first and foremost.

stukinIL4now on May 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

If Gov. Quinn was smart he would lower cigarette taxes so that Illinois would be the state that everyone wants to smuggle from.

ss396 on May 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

(Tax evasion cost the city an estimated $40 million in 2006.)

I love this logic.

I hereby tax all Hot Air members $2.00 a post, and if you don’t pay me your going to cost me $35,000 a month!

They’d just piss that $40 million away anyhow, and they’d still want more for God knows what.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

ss396 on May 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Flag on the field! Illegal use of logic! Player fined 1000 quatloos. Pay the clerk.

Oldnuke on May 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

LMAO @ Lousy Liberal Group Think!

Tom Swoik, executive director of Illinois Casino Gaming Association, said gambling revenue has dropped 32 percent since the smoking ban was approved. He said the ban probably accounts for one-third to one-half of that and has cost state government about $800 million in taxes.

Yet another reason for why I will NEVER vote for ANY lousy liberal politician.

DannoJyd on May 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

The headline is a big fat lie.

lester on May 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

You know, lester, if you don’t like being snookered by big, fat, lying headlines, you could always stay at dkos for your discussions. They’d never lie to you.

It’s odd though, that everyone else -except for you - was able to figure out the meaning of the headline.

Solaratov on May 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I’m waiting for the first state to figure out that the way to make money off cigarette taxes is to cut taxes on cigarettes and sell across state lines to people trying to avoid their state’s high tax rates

tom on May 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM

ss396 on May 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

That thought would never enter Pat’s mind.

Fallon on May 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I must be slow as I am not able to grasp how making something more expensive and banning its use everywhere increases a person’ s interst in using it.

Queen0fCups on May 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Rush was right.

Terri on May 26, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Rush was the first one I thought of after reading this article. Man, did he call that! Does that make it 99.8%?

Christian Conservative on May 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM