Video: The greatest political ad ever?

posted at 1:21 pm on May 25, 2012 by Allahpundit

Actually, I think it’s the second greatest. Nothing will ever top you-know-who, but this spot does involve a higher degree of difficulty: Namely, how do you hold a viewer’s interest through five long minutes of stump-speech blather by a soft-spoken South Dakota Democrat? The obvious answer — sight gags. If they were good enough to make Carrot Top a star, they’re good enough to make this guy a contender. Pure charm all the way through. Just make sure you vote for Kristi Noem in November regardless.

If this had been done in a single take, a la the club scene in “GoodFellas,” it really would be the greatest ad ever.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

In 67 a swallowed a grenade to save my buddies and now I’m completely hollow on the inside. Did I mention I play chess?

hawkdriver on May 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM

In 67 “I” a swallowed a grenade to save my buddies and now I’m completely hollow on the inside. Did I mention I play chess?

hawkdriver on May 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM

hawkdriver on May 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM

The Best Dog Costume Ever deserved a post more than this.

slickwillie2001 on May 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

By all means. Send another Democrat who thinks oil is bad and Obamacare is great. I remember the votes he was talking about and his idea of a great Congress is to rubberstamp all spending bills.

Just think. He’d help elect Pelosi as Speaker. Imagine 2013 and 2014 as 2009-2010 redux? Obama-Pelosi-Reid. Even conservative Democrats would be a disaster because it’s all about who controls the Congress.

BTW, I don’t know exactly what his father did, but those are some pretty posh appointments his father got. At one point, I thought I’d like to go to the State Department. I did a bit of research and discovered that until you got seniority, you spent a lot of time in countrys very few people had ever heard of.

Portia46 on May 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM

How does having a speech pattern which sounds oh so metrosexual go over in SD? It would be a failed candidacy here in Louisiana.

Kermit on May 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Actually there were two single-take club scenes in “GoodFellas:” the one where Henry leads Karen into the club from the back entrance and through the kitchen on their way to getting a front-row seat, and the other was the scene where Henry narrates and introduces the viewer to all of his funny-nicknamed wiseguy friends.

Rich H on May 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I was for the path of non-sequiturs before I was against it.

Aardvark on May 25, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Hope the fellow didn’t have a heart attack after the walk.

But no donks and thanks for the opportunity to revisit Dale Peterson’s ad.

kim roy on May 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Funny ad till he calls Christie Noem a horses ass.
Rats LIE, this guys a Rat and Rats Lie, never vote for a lyin rat!

ConcealedKerry on May 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Sorry, I just came back from a walk and I’m winded as hell. Just completely out of breath. I’m pathetically out of shape.

Now, what’s this video, here…?

MadisonConservative on May 25, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Nice ad, but no democrat can fix anything in Washington, they are the reason things are broke. Ask Heath Schuler about how much influence “Blue Dog” democrats have with the party leadership.

Mini-14 on May 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Got to the two minute mark, then he lost me when he started blathering about learning chess in Iceland. That, and his gut that was straining against a too-tight shirt.

Ygritte on May 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Like I said when this was in the headlines, his chess rating is very low for a state champion. It reflects a lack of strong players in South Dakota.

Nobody votes for someone because of how they play chess. Otherwise Bobby Fischer would be active in politics – in addition to still voting in Chicago.

WhatNot on May 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

This.

One day (true story), my wife’s mother brought home Bobby Fisher, who was an acquaintance of her brother’s (he was a physics professor and played a lot of chess). As the family lore has it, Bobby Fisher was a great chess player but he didn’t do so well with basic things like being a good guest. So one day Bobby piled up all his dirty laundry next to the washer machine and left it there. My mother-in-law came home from her flight attendant job, found the pile of laundry, went looking for Fisher, marched him right into the laundry room, and made him wash it all himself. The story goes on to say that she gave him a broad speech about why he was single, starting with the laundry and ending with the chess obsession. We still use that same machine today. Amazing how well they used to make Maytags.

JoseQuinones on May 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Sorry *Fischer*. Where’s spell check when a spelling troll like me needs it?

JoseQuinones on May 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Sorry Hay Belly,

you talk good, but Democrats

just don’t go the distance!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Great Ad.

TX-96 on May 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM

ANOTHER DEMOCROOK BLOW HARD,,,

ARIZONAVETERAN on May 25, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Well, at least he’s reasonably physically fit — he must’ve walked 3 miles in that vid.
PS – Has Kristi Noem ever ridden an ostrich?!?

KS Rex on May 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Hhahahhahahhahh

Minnesota has got a ton of liberal ‘Odd Ollies’ just like Jeff Barth here. Hey, take it from BigSven who knows Minnysota.. yaya for sure for sure …oofda!

Jeff apparently wasn’t able to shake “the fat” outta his head—even with all the broadening exposure he had growing up!

His 5 minute talk-walk-gasp-gasp reminds me of good old Paul Wellstone….same fat in the head…fer sure fer sure..oofda

BigSven on May 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM

This is the second greatest political ad ever? What, you have cotton in your ears AP? The guy didn’t give a single reason why anyone should vote for him. He didn’t say a word about what he would do when he got to Washington. But I certainly listened to what he didn’t like about the Congress woman he is running against and he wouldn’t get my vote if I lived in SD.

woodNfish on May 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Yeah, I wouldn’t vote for him either, but I enjoyed the ad.

25000 hits in one day – let’s see if this helps him raise any money. I did some checking and his effort has been pretty poor to date.

jimdemint2012 on May 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM

And he’s pregnant, too! voters always love that.

American Elephant on May 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

My vote for favorite ad still goes to Joe Manchin (D-WV) and his putting a bullet through the Obamacare bill. I wish his opponent had won, but that guy’s ad was a stroke of genius.

flutejpl on May 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Nice ad. It was much nicer as a corporate video for Johnny Walker Scotch with Robert Carlyle. You should check that out.

Spike72AFA on May 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM

The only thing that stands out in this ad is that all Dems speak Conservative ideas and ideals until elected – when they remember the U.S. history as told by socialists.

Mr Research also show something unique:

A (D) deplanning at Dulles they are given a special TSA reverse screening and become free living and wheeling demoncrates.

A (D) deplanning at D.C via Reagan Intl. are converted into conservative liberals.

MSGTAS on May 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM

AP’s totally mad. This could be the WORST AD EVER. This jerk’s packs more “I”s in a sentence than Obama, which I thought impossible.

rcl on May 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I swear he said “king me.”

HHW on May 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM