Stand with Patterico, Aaron, and free speech

posted at 5:21 pm on May 25, 2012 by Allahpundit

It’s “Everybody Blog About Brett Kimberlin Day” and, judging by the boss emeritus’s amazing link round-up, pretty much everybody has. In the unlikely event that you missed it elsewhere, go read Patterico’s heart-stopping post on what he’s been through over the past 11 months. And then, if you can take any more, read Aaron Worthing’s chronicle of his own waking nightmare. They’re not the only ones in the crosshairs, either: Stacy McCain had to flee his home to protect his family, an ordeal he described to John Hawkins. This bit from the same interview is tantalizing:

That a person like this should be entrusted as the director of a 501c3 non-profit boggles the mind…

Sources have told me that Capitol Hill staffers have been briefed about the background on the Kimberlin case. By the way, these briefings happened before I had ever heard of Brett Kimberlin. People have been looking at this for a long time and trying to figure out, you know, what’s going on here.

I can’t believe that the legal system could have failed so badly that Aaron, an attorney, and Pat, a deputy D.A.(!), were left with no recourse but to plead for help publicly in desperation. Yet here we are. Now that Glenn Beck and his megaphone are broadcasting about this, maybe that’ll change. Whatever happens now, the cops can’t say they didn’t know.

Go piece through Michelle’s link round-up up top. And give what you can at the National Bloggers Club to make this horror movie a tiny bit better for the people involved.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Brett Kimberlin must have some mighty powerful friends in some mighty low places.

FlatFoot on May 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM

In Honor of Carl Delong

pearson on May 25, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I can believe the legal system failed so badly. It isn’t even unusual.

They definitely need pressure on them constantly just to do their jobs, kind of like the post office or the DMV.

As to why these people (Kimberlin and Crew) get so much support from the left (including a tweet from Kos today), the left sure do love them domestic terrorists! Ayers and Dohrn are just the big celebrities in the field, they are hardly unique.

Merovign on May 25, 2012 at 6:50 PM

“I can’t believe that the legal system could have failed so badly…”

Really…?

“… my people.” - Eric Holder

Seven Percent Solution on May 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

If you don’t like it here, leave.

Ed Morrissey on May 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I’d miss the special attention.

VorDaj on May 25, 2012 at 6:56 PM

For Brett Kimberlin, It All Started With A Little Girl

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Man, that is a significant story. I wasn’t aware of his activity prior to the bombings.

a capella on May 25, 2012 at 6:57 PM

You are being impertinent, rude and disrespectful.

Capitalist Hog on May 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Of course, I’m still an American.

VorDaj on May 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Ok, I went and read Patterico’s entire post, and listened to the audio.

That was indeed a life or death situation. One mistake, by anybody, and rounds go flying. You can’t take those back.

My God.

His wife and children were there. Any of them could have been permanently maimed, or killed instantly.

If something like that would have happened, and you were the officer who fired thinking you were confronting an armed murderer in his home, how would you live with yourself when it was revealed to you it was all a hoax by a political terrorist?

This is serious, serious business here.

I can’t believe this can happen in America, with no consequences.

Brian1972 on May 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM

He is horrible, but I find it funny that according to Fox, this big tough guy still lives with his mommy.
(But it’s probably not so funny for his poor mom.)

LASue on May 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Of course, I’m still an American.

VorDaj on May 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Why don’t you quit trying to make the thread all about you? It doesn’t cost anything to refrain.

a capella on May 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I can’t believe this can happen in America, with no consequences.

Brian1972 on May 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM

It can. And it has.

gryphon202 on May 25, 2012 at 7:04 PM

This is serious, serious business here.

I can’t believe this can happen in America, with no consequences.

Brian1972 on May 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM

All the attention generated today should force some kind of LEO action. They can’t just ignore it now.

a capella on May 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM

In Honor of Carl Delong

pearson on May 25, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Thank you for sharing. Many facts about Brett Kimberlin and his despicable crew have been brought up today, but the one I would like to highlight is that Kimberlin took away a man’s dignity and, ultimately, his life.

RIP, Major De Long. May your suffering be long over.

pookysgirl on May 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM

a capella on May 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I hope so.

These people have to pay.

Justice demands it.

Brian1972 on May 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM

FlatFoot on May 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I reckon the most effective thing would be to make it uncomfortable for that to continue. Encourage enablers and benefactors to see that it’s in their best interests to act shocked and then turn the bus around on their dirty work guy.

forest on May 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Thank you for posting this. I know you and everyone else do so at your risk and I appreciate it. I regret a few others don’t seem to understand that.

jimdemint2012 on May 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Even after filing a complaint about harassment, they wouldn’t tell us who made the 911 call.

cozmo on May 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM

What county or state do you live in where such information is not made available to the public? File a suit. Discovery is a b****.

People need to take a stand or this will become rampant.

Capitalist Hog on May 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Too lazy to click on just a few of the links, huh? This convict is not innocent. Do your homework rather than this silly “concern” routine.

cicerone on May 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Actually I read the entire post over allergic to bull, Mr. Presumptuous.

You’ll note from my comments that I am obviously cognizant of the facts at hand and being careful not to libel. I was looking out for others. I’ve read several comments that could easily attract attention from the wrong person.

Feel free to continue being a wad.

Capitalist Hog on May 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Capitalist Hog on May 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Dallas, Texas, PC on the the Trinity.

They were fearful of what would happen to the concerned citizen who claimed they were doing their civic duty to protect the community.

Even after I showed them the many frivolous complaints made against me ever since I moved in next to said concerned citizen. Me, and another neighbor once saved the guy’s life. I don’t regret it, but I wonder if I would have acted the same if I knew how things would turn out.

It was fifteenish years ago and I am mostly over it. I still own a property next to one of his and toy with him when he shows it to prospective tenants. Payback, and female dogs…you know.

cozmo on May 25, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I guess I don’t fear a lawsuit much.. you can’t put a lean on Social Security.. and I don’t own any property.. yet. Still that you have to worry about your family and their safety from a convicted bomber just for stating the truth in America..

The left has much to answer for.. for the culture of vindictive retribution they have created just for saying your mind. When punk kids can sit around and plot mayhem just because they don’t like your politics.. and Obama uses them like a private army to enforce his will. You know he’s aware of these kinds of acts.. and won’t lift a finger to stop them..

We cannot evict these people from Washington fast enough.

mark81150 on May 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

“I can’t believe that the legal system could have failed so badly…”

Really…?

“… my people.” - Eric Holder

Seven Percent Solution on May 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

….there you go!

KOOLAID2 on May 25, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Of course, I’m still an American.

VorDaj on May 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

…and usually you’re ok…so…quit being a major azzole right now.
There’s a time and a place for everything and your attitude toward your hosts shows you as being more of azz, than having ANY class.
Knock it off!

KOOLAID2 on May 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM

cozmo on May 25, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Near Great Trinity Forest?

That’s one bit of the world that earned its reputation.

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Heck no!

Closer to White Rock.

cozmo on May 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I’d miss the special attention.

VorDaj on May 25, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Just like the kids on the short bus

The Notorious G.O.P on May 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

For Brett Kimberlin, It All Started With A Little Girl

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

A post like that, spread world wide, is the perfect way to get back at this thing…

Seven Percent Solution on May 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You know, I’ve been reading the various stories and blogs about Kimberlin the last few days, and while I agree that he sounds like a dastardly dude, the word that keeps popping into my mind is “lynching”. This blog pressure is extra legal, and it’s piling on in the worst sort of bullying way.

Why can’t Patterico, et al, simply sue this dude into bankruptcy and homelessness in the old fashioned civilized way? Perhaps there is a more immediate fear of being SWAT’d to death with a resultant resolve that “something must be done NOW”, but how is this herd mentality of everyone piling on *not* bullying of the worst sort?

I’ll muffle myself now because I don’t think Mr. Kimberlin needs my or anyone else’s sympathy or protection, but I just wanted to raise a red flag that a witch hunt is still a witch hunt, and this just feels wrong.

NahnCee on May 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I was surprised to see that Fox had written about this guy in 2010.

Cindy Munford on May 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM

How is the Left part of the blogosphere reacting to all of this? I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of them would give him a pass if they were aware of his tactics.

Cindy Munford on May 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Heck no!

Closer to White Rock.

cozmo on May 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Just messing. Didn’t have you painted as a slum lord.

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM

NahnCee on May 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Bullying bullies is not bullying at all. It is SD.

And you conveniently ignore the very real potential consequences of SWAT’ing people, even whilst this is addressed legally.

LE’s *do* respond quickly to PR disasters. And this deserves to be blown into all proportion as a not only a PR disaster but a certain tragedy in the making.

Justice moves slowly. Public opinion, somewhat quicker.

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Just messing. Didn’t have you painted as a slum lord.

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Didn’t even think of it that way. Wouldn’t want anybody to think I was in those parts though.

Its bad enough having a shop south of the Cotton Bowl.

cozmo on May 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Justice moves slowly. Public opinion, somewhat quicker.

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I believe in the power of karma as a means of correcting injustices that we make, either purposefully or not.

This 12-year long free ride of his will eventually come to an end.

Myron Falwell on May 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

FlatFoot on May 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM

forest on May 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Some of them are already starting to play the (B.S., IMO) denial game.

Myron Falwell on May 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Man, I miss Breitbart. He was absolutely fearless and would have been leading the charge against this dirtbag.

JohnInCA on May 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

We are all Breitbart.

Myron Falwell on May 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Brian1972 on May 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM

With Soros, all things are possible.

He bought a presidency after all… didn’t he?

CPT. Charles on May 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Soros. Kimberlin. Obama. Jennings. Bundy. VorDaj. All have special needs.

onomo on May 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Hmmm Iowa what IS your real name?

CW on May 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM

cicerone on May 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I don’t think I’m alone in being damn sick and tired of every disagreement being brushed off with the lazy-ass “concern troll” mental fart. The shtick has gotten old, regardless of the merits here.

ddrintn on May 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Hmmm Iowa what IS your real name?

CW on May 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Is there any time of day you’re NOT here? Get. A. Life.

ddrintn on May 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM

If you had any doubts about what the left is capable of, take a good look at these people and who supports them. What happened to Patterico’s wife and daughter should land someone a decade in jail or more.

hawkdriver on May 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

hawkdriver on May 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Unfortunately, I don’t think it will. I’m with you philosophically, but I’m conservative precisely because I don’t trust government competence.

gryphon202 on May 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM

We are all Breitbart.

Myron Falwell on May 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Naw. Breitbart was a one-off. There is no way he would have let things get this bad. No disrespect to the living…but there was nobody like Andrew Breitbart.

ddrintn on May 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I don’t give two craps about a criminal’s well-being. But I make no apologies for urging prudence when commenting on this particular person. I’m sure most people do not envy Patterico, Worthing, Nagy, RSM, etc and would do almost anything to avoid their circumstances.

Have a great weekend Toughestguyontheinterwebs.

Capitalist Hog on May 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM

cozmo on May 25, 2012 at 7:34 PM

And you still probably make a better neighbor than he ever would. Lucky it’s not the primary res.

Closer to White Rock.

cozmo on May 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

RACIST!!!

Capitalist Hog on May 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM

“I am Patterico!”

MechEng5by5 on May 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Of course, I’m still an American.

VorDaj on May 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

North or South?

Solaratov on May 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Allahpundit is far from my favorite person here – or anywhere else.

That said – he is engaging in the most Honest and important work I have seen him engage in.

I could not agree with him more, here.

I believe that ANY discussion of these topics – or any other topic that the Media has “blacked out” – should casually mention the blacked out story – and then launch into a focused interrogation on why The Media – whoever you are talking to at the time be int NBC, NYT, CNN or anyone else – has DELIBERATELY not covered these topics.

I am going to help – this is more than a worthwhile cause!

God Bless him!

williamg on May 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Bloggers are waeird, always having these little wars with each other and it’s hard to determine what it’s about without reading a lot of stuff that goes into tedious detail about a bunch of people you never heard of doing bad stuff to other people you never heard of.

Whatever happened to just talking about politics, some nut probably isn’t going to SWAT you if you don’t engage him in a war on Twitter.

Dr. Tesla on May 26, 2012 at 6:30 AM

North or South?

Solaratov on May 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

South, and probably another Neo-Confederate inbred.

MelonCollie on May 26, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Dr. Tesla on May 26, 2012 at 6:30 AM

That’s the whole goddam point, Tes. Leftists associate with convicted felons, and conservatives remain safe as long as they don’t bring attention to that fact. Or did you miss the fact that a convicted perjurer and civilly liable bomber has been receiving money for leftist causes from the likes of George Soros and Barbra Streisand? They want us to ignore crap like this.

gryphon202 on May 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM

ddrintn on May 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Which, of course, doesn’t address the point.

Have a great weekend Toughestguyontheinterwebs.

Capitalist Hog on May 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM

You forgot concern troll-Moby-filthy commie bastard.

ddrintn on May 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM

@gryphon

I have no problem ignoring stuff like this b/c I still don’t know who that guy is and it seems like bloggers are always having little wars with each other and I get the sense they kind of enjoy that. Gets the blood flowing.

Dr. Tesla on May 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Obviously some elements of “Free Speech” at HA, no matter how well considered, and carefully composed, is more an excersize in pleasing the censor. So be it, let’s try again!

To rephrase my post on the subject:

I can’t believe that the legal system could have failed so badly that Aaron, an attorney, and Pat, a deputy D.A.(!), were left with no recourse but to plead for help publicly in desperation. Yet here we are. — Ap

Historically, personal mores and honor codes, provided harsh remedies against those who would threaten or intimidate a man’s wife and/or family. The current situ, whereby thugs such as Kimberlin and Associates are free to conduct such attacks, while the Law becomes an accomplice or silent witness, will only prompt a societal regression to earlier forms of rough justice. The police, prosecuters, and judges had better become proactive in dismantling the political assault perpetrated and funded by the Left, and executed by their thugs, if we trully desire that a man not take justice into his own hands.

…And what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? T. Jefferson

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

\

You are under no obligation to blog or comment about anything you don’t want to. Freedom of speech must necessarily entail freedom of silence. But I am telling you, if you ignore this story, you are doing exactly what Brett Kimberlin wants you to do — bearing in mind that he IS a convicted bomber and WAS held civilly liable in a death for which he tried to con his way out of court-ordered damages. The Dominant Liberal Media has a vested interest in ignoring this story given how many libby sweethearts have given this guy money. I would think you wouldn’t want to play into their hands, but it is certainly your right to do so.

gryphon202 on May 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Ok, I see conservatives on Twitter asserting Brett Kimberlin is an nutjob, a terrorist, etc, but they are goading him on Twitter. I don’t think that’s a logical way of dealing with a nutjob, terrorist, etc. Seems to me you’d get the cops involved if he’s a threat to you pesonally. You are not going to make this guy less hostile or crazy by goading him on Twitter.

Dr. Tesla on May 26, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 26, 2012 at 7:44 PM

The rationale behind it is that Kimberlin, the walking definition of “vexatious litigant” can not possibly sue/get protection orders against everyone who talks about him if we all talk about him at once. The “goading” is no more or less than conservative bloggers telling the truth. I dunno where your admiration for Andrew Breitbart lies, but he would have encouraged no less.

gryphon202 on May 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM

gryphon202 on May 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I never followed him much, I was aware he had those Big Government websites but I never looked at them much for whatever reason, I didn’t realize he was a conservative rockstar until he died and all his fans started lionizing him to some degree.

I don’t really agree with his kind of combative interactions with liberal activists. I thought his accusing the OWS protesters at the CPAC thing of rape was kind of lame but then again so is protesting at CPAC.

Dr. Tesla on May 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Ok, here is what I’m confused about: Why is Kimberlin being talked about at all by consevatives. It appears he is in jail for 230 years. What is the connection to modern politics. Are the Democrats getting money for him? I never see this addressed upfront in any of the posts I see about it, and thus I tend to want to give up on this story b/c I don’t understand why they are talking about him. Dude is in jail right? Is he about to get out on parole and people are trying to prevent it? I don’t think the bloggers are doing a good job breaking this down to something that people not knee deep in it can understand what the big deal is.

Dr. Tesla on May 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Dr. Tesla on May 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Kimberlin isn’t in jail. He’s free. His connection to modern politics is that he is receiving money from big movers and shakers like George Soros and the Tides foundation. He SHOULD be in jail, but he is not. He is using the courts as a vexatious ligtigant, and the police (by SWATting good people like Patterico), and conservatives, usually the first to mistrust government, turn around and say, “Why doesn’t he file a lawsuit? Why doesn’t he go to the police?”

What you need to understand, Doc, is that it’s all been tried. This is a flaming example of government failing to do what it is supposed to do, which is protect us. Lives are literally at stake here. If you want to know what’s really going on, and you care to find out, the information is out there. As I said upthread, if you personally choose to ignore this story, that is your wont and you are most certainly free to do so. But I really hope and pray that the rest of the blogosphere’s failure to ignore this story doesn’t cause you frustration or bewilderment.

gryphon202 on May 27, 2012 at 9:55 AM

@grphon202

If I ignore or don’t ignore some story isn’t going to impact it one way or another. I don’t have any power or influence to resolve this issue.

I did finally come across a piece about Kimberlin in American Thinker that explains he got out of prision in 2000 and his political activities since being released. I don’t think a lot of these bloggers explain that upfront in their posts about him. It seems like a convuluted kind of story and they are throwing it
out there like everybody has been down in the weeds on this stuff.

Another thing I have not seen in all the stories is evidence that Kimberlin is responsible for the Swatting. I don’t get the impresssion they have evidence of his personal involvement. I’m not saying it’s not true, but I havent seen these bloggers really lay out the case that he’s the guy. It seems like if he was in jail for domestic terrorism and you had evidence he was behind Swatting you, the police would be more than happy to listen to that and look into it. I cant see police being in the tank for some ex domestic terrorist.

Dr. Tesla on May 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM