Smokin’ weed with Barry and the “Choom Gang”

posted at 2:02 pm on May 25, 2012 by Allahpundit

For years we’ve wondered what dark secrets might lurk in The One’s shadowy past. I knew we’d find out one day and I knew it’d be bad, but I never imagined quite how bad.

Apparently, we elected Pauly Shore.

Maraniss portrays the teenage Obama as not just a pot smoker, but a pot-smoking innovator.

“As a member of the Choom Gang,” Maraniss writes, “Barry Obama was known for starting a few pot-smoking trends.”

The first Obama-inspired trend: “Total Absorption” or “TA”.

“TA was the opposite of Bill Clinton’s claim that as a Rhodes scholar at Oxford he smoked dope but never inhaled,” explains Maraniss. Here’s how it worked: If you exhaled prematurely when you were with the Choom Gang, “you were assessed a penalty and your turn was skipped the next time the joint came around.”…

Maraniss also says Obama was known for his “Interceptions”: “When a joint was making the rounds, he often elbowed his way in, out of turn, shouted ‘Intercepted!,’ and took an extra hit.”

Reason’s Mike Riggs titles his post on this, “Barack Obama punishes people for getting high; it used to be, he punished them for not getting high enough.” Plenty more details at the ABC link above, but for further reading let me recommend instead this instant classic from BuzzFeed illustrating key moments of “Choom Gang” lore with period photos. Here’s my favorite. He didn’t always lead from behind, my friends:

Coming in a close second to “Roof Hits”: “Pumping Stations.” Click over and tell me I’m wrong. And after you’ve done that, if you missed it a few days ago, watch this profane but compelling rant from Penn Jillette on the absurdity of O treating marijuana as a threat worthy of prohibition even though he managed to do okay for himself after using it — a lot, apparently. Exit question: What’s more startling about the “Choom Gang” revelations, the fact that O was so immersed in stoner culture or the fact that he was at one point a seemingly outgoing guy with lots of friends? I thought he was a loner.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

He didn’t always lead from behind, my friends:

Yes, we know. Sometimes he likes to be the “top.”

Blake on May 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I’m so glad this book has come out. While the WH is deflecting questions about his pot smoking and the administration’s record for cracking down on medicinal marijuana, the adults in the room will be going around the country talking about the economy (Romney, Rubio, Gingrich and Trump).

scalleywag on May 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM

~~~SORRY TO INTERRUPT BO’s POT PARTY~~~

MAY 25th “blog about Brett Kimberlin day.”

Read the HotAir Headline article: Why Is The State Department Partnering With Convicted Bomber Brett Kimberlin? And Kudos to the 28 commentors!

Wondering though,
where is the HA Blog Post in support of bloggers like the other McCain, Patterico, etc etc who are being attacked by Kimberlin and his “Progressive” posse of thugs?

THANKS for Turning up the Volume,
Now returning to regular programming~~~

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM

White mother, White Grandparents that raised him. White stoner friends growing up. This guy is about as black as Al Gore. He has bamboozled the whole black community.

Hummer53 on May 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Maybe some enterprising young reporter should try to track down this “Ray” guy. Now that would be a story!

thedudesblog on May 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM

My HS smoking experience was similar. You mean I could have gotten into Harvard!

steveracer on May 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Reggie Love strangely silent re: WH Choom Gang.

BHO Jonestown on May 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM

thedudesblog,

He’s dead. Yet another shadowy gay figure from Obama’s past who was murdered.

Mike Honcho on May 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Will this upcoming book by such an apparently “credentialed” author and card-carrying member of the leftist media actually detail his associations with that “guy in the neighborhood,” the domestic terrorist Bill Ayers, and his wife? Will it explore his 20-year membership in the anti-American congregation of Jeremiah Wright, and the apparently miraculous claim that he never heard all that anti-American stuff?

The Amazon description says the book’s content “ends as he prepares for a political life.” Well how very, very convenient. So it apparently won’t tell the full story, and skips the far, far more important details and developments. And therefore one could almost refer to this book as yet another willingly ignorant cover-up….

“Hey everyone, by an amazing coincidence there’s also a new history book that seeks insight into the Second World War, and it’s really going to be helpful because it covers the period right up through August 31st, 1939! Read it to get new insights, and forever be more informed!!! Also, it doesn’t mention Churchill, and its author has won prizes!!!”

Allendundit on May 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Choomin’

BKeyser on May 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM

steveracer on May 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Not unless you were black, or 1/32 Cherokee. ;)

AZCoyote on May 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Oops, that should have been 0/32 Cherokee.

AZCoyote on May 25, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Alternate innauguration speech, Feb 2009

All I need are some tasty waves, cool bud and I’m fiiiine.

DrW on May 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM

You know, I always thought my wasted youth disqualified me from running for President, but now I guess I’m ok.

PatMac on May 25, 2012 at 6:57 PM

There is a joke in there somewhere about Shaggy and Scooby snacks being made from dog, but I can’t quite make it work.

Really… This is the least offensive thing about him. I am not bothered too much by it. I voted for apparently hard partying GWB, and I would vote for Rand Aquabudda Paul. I am much more perturbed with all the communist/marxist/socialist ties in his past. Anyway, if the last four years aren’t enough to disqualify him from another term, then nothing is.

bitsy on May 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Come do that in my circle and see what happens…

cajun carrot on May 25, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Well, nobody around here would get their arse kicked for it. But somebody would certainly point out to the offender that it is usually considered bad form.

JohnGalt23 on May 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Choomin’

BKeyser on May 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Good one. Good ones! ; )

Bmore on May 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Choom choom cherie!

Momma on May 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

steveracer on May 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Possibly. What is your skin color and national origin?/

S. D. on May 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Why hasn’t there an Obama Afro hairdo picture surfaced yet?

Sir Napsalot on May 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Obama probably still smokes up once in a while now.

Who gives shit?

Dave Rywall on May 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Well, it would explain a lot of his decision making.
Only someone with an altered level of consciousness would think Obamacare was a good idea for the country.

Only a stoner would think we could actually generate a significant portion of our energy needs with renewable resources.

Only a stoner could think Obama was balancing the budget or cutting spending or doing anything to save Social Security or Medicare or that you didn’t have to include interest payments when calculating the budget, etc. etc.

Only a stoner would think that giving a city enough money to pay an employee for one year would magically generate a self-sustaining position.

Only a stoner would be surprised that increasing regulations that prevent manyfacturing in the US would have a negative impact on the US job market.

Being totally stoned during law school would explain why he never heard of judicial review, which would explain why he didn’t bother to even try to come up with a consitutional health care reform plan.

As mentioned above, it could explain why he took so long to order the strike on OBL.

Based on the above, we all should give a sh*t.

talkingpoints on May 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Stoner Baloner!

Momma on May 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Jesus, like I needed another reason to detest this clown. I work with 18-21 year olds every day and I can easily spot, and generally abhor, stoners.

Everyone sing with me:

Barack, the magic dragon
Lives by the sea…

Huckabye-Romney on May 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM

They See Me Rollin’ — They Hatin’

FlatFoot on May 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM

“We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers. Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, two dozen Amyls.”

Fed45 on May 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Intercepted. Heh.

Assegai on May 26, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Everytime I look at those pictures I think Lamont Sanford.

Big Orange on May 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Obama probably still smokes up once in a while now.

Who gives shit?

Dave Rywall on May 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM

It would explain why he keep referring to his daughters as his sons.

The Rogue Tomato on May 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM

That Obama SOB is an emBARRYsment!

Pitiful!!

President smOke ring there is now the pilot of this country.

Flying high may be okay for the passengers but I doubt they want a pothead at the helm.

And that is apparently the kabuki course our dope head in chief is taking us….

Sherman1864 on May 26, 2012 at 5:45 AM

$5 trillion buys a whole lotta Doritos.

bitsy on May 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I thought Willy McDole was going to make this election about POLICY not PERSONALITIES.

Maybe Bush should have smoked a bit of pakalolo – maybe if he had he’d have been able to kill Bin laden.

#wastedeffort

HondaV65 on May 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Fear and Loathing in Washington DC

bitsy on May 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Obama probably still smokes up once in a while now.

Who gives shit?

Dave Rywall on May 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM

If he was a private citizen I couldn’t care less; he’d be just another black junkie with a big ego and an addled brain.

MelonCollie on May 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I detest the man, but I could care less about what he did in high school, or even college.

However, the media sees fit to be critical of a Romney incident that was a big nothing-burger and they completely ignore BO’s shenanigans. I don’t think talking about his high school days is really going to get us anywhere.

This man has no record on which he can run. He has no ideas. He has no experience that he can use to do his job better. In short, he should have never been elected. So we should be able to succeed in firing his ass in Nov.

Romney: stay on message about the economy.

goflyers on May 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

There’s a story I read somewhere that tells of a former friend (dealer) that had a bag of weed and a ‘classic’ bong, that was appropriated (re-distributed) from Hawaii to Occidental.
Maybe, they can re-interview that guy.

askwhatif on May 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM

It is an incorrect assumption to say drugs are a victimless crime.

Bmore on May 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Then by all means, feel free to care less

Fed45 on May 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Several years from now, when an Independent Payment Advisory Board denies approval for medical care for you or a loved one, just imagine Obama yelling “Intercepted!”

This story adds another ugly dimension to him. Now I think of the stoner crowd at my high school, who were underachievers at best, not very good with the girls, and just generally dimwitted – and realize that we’ve elected one of those losers to the Presidency! His status as one of those losers really shows in the job he’s doing. I just hope that enough of the country will be grown-up enough to decide that it would be better to have a competent adult in the White House, instead of the present amalgamation of bong resin and Cheetos dust.

86 on May 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Not that bright.

His SAT is lower than GWB’s.

Schadenfreude on May 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

What was his SAT score? It’s not in the article you linked to.

kg598301 on May 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Bogart Barry??

Tim_CA on May 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM

If this guy is reelected the problem is not that we’re going to be screwed. The problem will be that we are already hopelessly screwed.

claudius on May 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM

You just don’t get it do you?

Obama was not a “loner.” Not in the sense you mean it.

Obama is a narcissist; a sociopath. He’s always alone, because he’s so much smarter than everyone else–in his own mind–that he occupies a special space in this world.

Choom Choom!

mountainaires on May 27, 2012 at 7:12 AM

“If I had a son he would look like Trayvon” ..BO Got it!! Trayvon had pot in his system too!! Another connection Obama can exploit!!

Marco on May 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM

“Chitty Chitty Choom Gang”

/had to

Ugly on May 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I do not like seeing the glamorization of drug use the way it is portrayed in some of the articles that have popped up recently. I want to know if the president thinks his own daughters ought to act that way, and hear him condemn it.

Fleuries on May 28, 2012 at 8:15 AM

AP, best headline in the history of headlines. Well done.

FireBlogger on May 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM