Confessions of a conservative woman

posted at 5:51 pm on May 25, 2012 by Amy Lutz

I guess it’s time for women to duck and cover, at least according to the mainstream media. For months now, left leaning news sources and politicians have been preaching the existence of the GOP’s “War on Women.” In actuality, it’s nothing but a blatant attempt to pander to women voters. Under the liberal version of “war,” Republicans have been busy targeting women by “denying” us free birth control, aiming to restrict abortion, and defunding Planned Parenthood. However, if that’s what war means these days, then call me a pacifist. Fighting against a socially liberal agenda isn’t exactly the textbook definition of war. However, that does not mean there isn’t another version of “war” going on in our society against women. The real “War on Women” is a horse of a different color, and it’s not coming from the GOP.

As a woman in the United States, I do see a partly unintentional cultural war on my gender everywhere I turn. However, this isn’t one orchestrated by the Romney campaign. It’s one that’s deeply embedded in our culture and fueled by the media itself, the entity which often claims to champion “women’s rights.” I can’t walk through Target anymore without being bombarded with sleek magazine covers of airbrushed women who represent our cultural expression of beauty. Magazines and television shows subliminally say to women that we are not beautiful if we don’t meet the impossible standards set by our culture. They say, “You’re not pretty enough, buy this makeup,” or “you’re not thin enough, lose 20 pounds.” In short, they’re saying “you’re not perfect enough.”

I’m sick of hearing from Cosmopolitan that I’m not beautiful or thin enough. It’s insulting and degrading. Sure, the media also places standards upon men, but they are far less restrictive. In magazines and television everywhere, women face an onslaught of superficially-based warfare.

While there has been significant pushback against the plethora of airbrushing and superficial standards for women in our culture today, it’s still present. The long term effects of these standards still weigh heavily upon women. We are told by the shiny magazine covers that we must be perfect, thin, and beautiful to be “accepted” in society. As women everywhere try to achieve these standards, we constantly come short because we are seeking something we will never achieve. The “perfect” body, face, etc. is an impossible-to-attain social construct. As a result, thousands of women struggle daily with body issues, low self-esteem, and even eating disorders. Additionally, when the image of female perfection is so superficial, women are often not taken seriously because our worth is appearance-based.

In short, “beauty” is synonymous with “ability.” I can say for a fact that it is much easier to succeed as a woman if you are considered attractive. It should not be that way. This is a symbolic statement that says women should be judged based on appearance, not merit or character. America is supposed to be a meritocracy, not a nation where image is somehow a golden ticket for success.

iving as a conservative woman in the United States is even more difficult. While the National Organization for Women (NOW) will charge into battle for liberal women like Sandra Fluke or causes like abortion and birth control, they remain silent in the face of blatant attacks on conservative women. Recently, a video emerged of union members hitting a piñata with South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley’s face on it because of her unease with the labor movement. NOW and other feminist groups had nothing to say on the issue. Talk about being warriors for women’s rights, huh? Then, a sexually explicit photoshopped image of conservative pundit S.E. Cupp appeared in Hustler Magazine, bashing her for her “dumb ideas” such as defunding Planned Parenthood. Hustler publisher Larry Flynt responded to the wave of complaints by defending the article and saying, “that’s satire.” Again, from feminist organizations: nothing. At least several liberal women such as Sandra Fluke have come out in S.E. Cupp’s defense. Conservative women like S.E. Cupp, Nikki Haley, and myself do not receive a defense from feminist organizations (not that we need it anyway) simply because of our political stances. It is an example of another liberal double standard. NOW and other liberal women’s groups are liberal ideologues who are pursuing a liberal agenda under the guise of gender equality.

For liberal women’s groups, the answer to the “War on Women” is taking legislative and political action to support Planned Parenthood, extend abortion, increase the distribution of birth control, etc. Once again, if that’s their weapon of choice, I don’t plan on carrying anytime soon. However, for all women, not just conservative women, there is another solution to the cultural assault on women’s images and the lack of a liberal defense. We need to be the women who are so often neglected in the media: real women. We need to be women of character who hold family values while still fighting for respect from the media. We need to be examples for our sisters, friends, and children. Gender should not determine our place in society.

Culture changes slowly, but it does change. That change begins with us. Our place should be determined not based upon the media’s impossible standards or a liberal feminist ideology. It should depend on merit. I am beautiful, but not because the media tells me I am. I’m beautiful because I value myself no matter who tells me otherwise. I’m a woman, I’m conservative, and I will not take this anymore.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Wow. Bishop won’t even touch this one.

bettycooper on May 25, 2012 at 6:02 PM

The fashion industry is actually part of the war on men. Run largely by homosexuals and anorexic woman seeking approval from other women, they’ve lost touch with what actual men find attractive. Not that there aren’t many beautiful women in movies, etc. But every time I see some women with fake eyebrows crawling halfway up her forehead, or wearing enough makeup in order to genericize her face, I just cringe.

Fenris on May 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM

excerpt: Amy Lutz

Right-on, Amy.
From day-one, they’ve been nothing more than one of a MULTITUDE of Special Interest Groups being used to disable the United States.

listens2glenn on May 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Obviously, the only solution to this problem is to elect a socialist lesbian abortion-rights activist as the next pope.

RBMN on May 25, 2012 at 6:10 PM

In some industries this is certainly the case. Fashion, *some* customer facing retail, *some* customer facing sales (all entry to mid-level).

In corporate life though, that statement simply doesn’t hold water.

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Fenris on May 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Seriously.

cajun carrot on May 25, 2012 at 6:11 PM

To all the women under siege, I say: “Welcome to the party, pal!”

I’m a white, southern, conservative male. For years, I and others like me have been portrayed in sitcoms, commercials, and movies as a bumbling, bigoted, boorish buffoon. Liberals waged war on men years ago!

AubieJon on May 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Those who have time to worry about how they are judged by others have too much time on their hands. I don’t get the outrage here.
/must be because I am attractive, self confident and extremely capable.

bettycooper on May 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Thanks for promoting this one. I love how Libs always categorize everyone. My lib friends can’t figure out why I don’t bow to the war on womynz since I work in a predominantly male work environment, have gay friends, and I’m outgoing, smart, successful, etc. They just can’t deal with me being able to think or do any of that on my own. Funny them.

hazchic on May 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM

What Hustler did to S.E. Cupp was wrong. But speaking as an average-looking conservative woman, I wonder if so many conservative men would have defended her, Palin, etc. if they weren’t so beautiful. In some respects the right is no better than the left in how it treats women.

mrsknightley on May 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM

excerpt: Amy Lutz

…….S L U T S!

KOOLAID2 on May 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM

As I’ve watched the horrible, degrading treatment conservative women endured, I noticed these women never waiver from their values, and never play the victim card. Steadfast & confident they push back, refusing to go shrieking from the stage.

I wonder how many liberal women could endure what Palin has? The attacks on herself/family were beyond the pale. Rare was it when the “men” in her own party came to her defense. Yet Palin is still standing. Strong.

If you follow Michelle Malkin on twitter, you know that on occasion she re-tweets the “hate” she gets. She does this to “shine a light” on these vile, racist, vulgar people for everyone to see. Malkin is still standing. Strong.

It’s empowering to watch these women boldly press onward! Conservative women USED to be more timid. Not anymore! Is Palin timid? Malkin? S.E. Cupp? Not on your life, sister!

Ladies! It is a GREAT time to be a Conservative Woman! There are lots of gals fighting the good fight. Seek them out & learn from their wisdom, join with them and they’ll fight for YOU!

On twitter:
@michellemalkin
@sarahpalinUSA
@melissatweets
@OfficialSGP (Smart Girl Politics)
@chicksonright
@Liberty_Chick

FIGHT LIKE A GIRL!

TN Mom on May 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Is this a bad time to ask for a sammich?

connertown on May 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Sounds reasonable enough to me. You are missing the L. No pun intended. Reminds me of a song about shallowness. Actually two, make that three. This one, this one and this one. The third one being the original one I was thinking of. ; )

Bmore on May 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

TN Mom on May 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM

We have many super ladies right here at HA also. ; )

Bmore on May 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I do feel sorry for insecure women who look at magazines and feel inadequate.

In my entire business experience we have hired on merit, regardless of sex, color, looks, or religion. That’s not because we’re a bunch of boy and girl scouts, it’s because we want the absolute best candidate for the job.

Have a really close look at the women on the boards of any Fortune 500 company. Were they ever Vogue-worthy in their entire lives?

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 8:25 PM

We have many super ladies right here at HA also. ; )

Bmore on May 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM

+1000

TN Mom on May 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Then again if I was Megyn Kelly and looked at my sub-normal colleague Sean Hannity, I’d definitely think the entire world was sexist.

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM

While I mostly agree with the writer, I was going to say something along the lines of this:

AubieJon on May 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM

And, as for this:

I wish I could remember a source (a study) for my statement, but I read a while ago that the “beautiful people” have advantages in the workforce for promotions and salaries–regardless of their gender. (It was a believable study, IMO.)

(Finally, good comments by the lot of you folks.)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

And, I forgot:
Fenris on May 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Too true. Most fashion models are nasty. (Hey, Mr. Fashion Mogul, we like women–not little boys.)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM

RBMN on May 25, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I get your humor, but here’s the truth.

The “solution” is to surrender U.S. sovereignty to the One World Government.
Once that’s been achieved, all of the George Soros’s of the world will INSTANTLY cut-off all funding for these groups.

Their “useful idiocy” will have expired.
And the members of these groups will find out just how much CONTEMPT these rich donors really have for them, and their respective political causes.

listens2glenn on May 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

… I can’t walk through Target anymore without being bombarded with sleek magazine covers of airbrushed women who represent our cultural expression of beauty. Magazines and television shows subliminally say to women that we are not beautiful if we don’t meet the impossible standards set by our culture. They say, “You’re not pretty enough, buy this makeup,” or “you’re not thin enough, lose 20 pounds.” In short, they’re saying “you’re not perfect enough.”

Blah blah blah…

OMG. These are tedious, mundane observations about our culture and beauty which sound like the same complaints unattractive liberal feministas have thrived on since the Sixties. This is nothing new. I grew up with toads like Bella Abzug and their complaints – the last thing I want is a reprise of this theme (and frankly, I don’t want it for my son either). There is nothing “conservative” about playing the role of a victim who can’t compete in this oh so cruel world where beauty is an unfair advantage.

Now I’ll read the comments to see if I’m the only female (or male?) who responded so indignantly. I sincerely hope I’m in the majority…

Buy Danish on May 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM

mrsknightley on May 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM

There is truth in what you say imo. It’s not right, but it is true for some reason. Human nature, I guess.

Mimzey on May 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

In corporate life though, that statement simply doesn’t hold water.

CorporatePiggy on May 25, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Sure it does. Attractive people of both genders make more money than ugly people; there are studies. Also, women who wear makeup are rated more competent than women who don’t. It’s all about image.

alwaysfiredup on May 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I sincerely hope I’m in the majority…

Buy Danish on May 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM

As usual, you aren’t.

alwaysfiredup on May 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM

What it means to even BE a woman, conservative OR liberal, in Western Civ has been subtly but gradually redefined for us.

Cleombrotus on May 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I can say for a fact that it is much easier to succeed as a woman in life if you are considered attractive.

FIFY

socalcon on May 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM

alwaysfiredup on May 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Wrong – in my world at least.

CorporatePiggy on May 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Conservatives are steadfast. At some point though, they erupt in anger. We are literally living in the center of a vortex of liberalism that has been nurtured for generations. You can only sell liberal ideas to people who aren’t shopping for accurate information. Liberal followers do not want to do the work of discovering truth, they are more content to be train in falsehoods and then in return support the falsehoods with their lives – and the lives of their own unborn.

Conservatives their lives following a traditional system of values. They have a conspicuous absence of demagogues. Conservatives will not act until sufficiently provoked. Liberals are provoked by simple things such as card tricks. The bad news is that the SE Cupp and Nikki Haley occurrences don’t seem to be quite enough provocation to mobilize the group.

ericdijon on May 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I hate to say it but is not just women that face society’s message of “you’re not perfect.”

Men face it too. You’re not perfect if you don’t a certain status in society. Usually, its the material lifestyle. You’re not perfect if you don’t have that car, that body, that job, or woman. etc.

Society bombard women with the pressure to be beautiful while society bombards men with the pressure to obtain a certain kind of status within society.

Buy Danish on May 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Amen! There’s nothing conservative for men and women to complain feeling victimized by society.

You are given the cards you are dealt with. Play your best hand you can in life.

Conservative Samizdat on May 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM