Video: Reporter can’t get a straight answer from Elizabeth Warren on Cherokee ancestry

posted at 10:01 pm on May 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, the key line: “I have made the facts clear.” But … she hasn’t. She hasn’t said anything to make the facts clear since the supposed genealogical evidence was debunked and the mystery of the duplicate recipes came to light. At last check she was sticking with the “high cheekbones” theory of racial authenticity, which apparently was good enough to justify minority status even in a professional directory.

The clip here shows two minutes of back and forth but, according to this report, there was more:

Finally, Warren said, “I am proud of my family and I am proud of my heritage.”

Hiller followed up: “Does it include an Indian background?”

Warren replied, “Yes.”

“How do you know that?” Hiller asked.

Warren responded, “Because my mother told me so. This is how I live. My mother, my grandmother, my family. This is my family. Scott Brown has launched attacks on my family. I am not backing off from my family.”

Better than a document, better even than DNA: Family lore. Give her credit for staying on message here, though. The strategists and spin doctors have now programmed her to respond to all ancestry inquiries with repeated and relentless invocations of the “middle class,” which is as important to her campaign narrative as “jobs” is to Romney’s. Unless something new and more damning bubbles up in this vein that she has to explain away, I doubt she’ll respond on the merits again. And maybe that’s not altogether bad; if this morning’s poll was accurate, it could be that Mass voters will start to get bored or even annoyed with this line of questioning and will feel some sympathy for her. She’s clearly fishing for it — note the emphasis on Scott Brown “attacking her family” by simply asking whether she lied about her background for professional gain. Don’t you feel ashamed for doubting her and her grandma? You brutes, you.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’ll bet there a lot of “middle class” families with kids applying to colleges and jobs and wondering how they can make themselves more “minority-like”.

cpcod on May 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM

“I have made the facts clear”

Yeah, and that fact is, you’re a lying scumbag.

a5minmajor on May 25, 2012 at 7:59 AM

My sister just came in town from Boston and she said they have heard nothing in the news about the plagarism. She had no idea. She heard about the Cherokee stuff, but not the cookbook stuff. News blackout up there.

txmomof6 on May 25, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Could she even be related to Chief Seattle who was claimed in a best selling propaganda novel to speechify and cry for the destruction by the white man of nature(from a train going through the West?) It was found to be an impossible lie, but the author claimed he would have given his famous fraudulent “weep for the animals” speech had it been possible.

The NYT had to move the best seller out of the documentary section -but they used it in schools to prep the “God is really just nature crowd.”

Don L on May 25, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Sh#t, if the news blackout is working for Warren, it will work for Obama. Can we still say “blackout” or has that word been blacklisted erased?

SpiderMike on May 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Her mannerisms drive me crazy — the gasping eye-rolling, the schoolmarmish demeanor. Brings back bad memories of oppressive teachers I suffered under in elementary school. I half-expect her to start whacking the reporter with a ruler.

Chuckles3 on May 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Have you considered that people have dismissed the Indian/cookbook scandals as … what’s that word you all use…oh, yeah … distractions?

plewis on May 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Hide behind a fake concern for the middle class. I suppose she has to get out and talk to them, since she has no connections to them. What a meme repeater.

Hammered
Middle class
Families

30 years advocating for the middle class? Please, tell us more. What middle class issues were you advocating in 1982?

MarkT on May 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM

She seems to be not very intelligent. Her answers mentioned Scott Brown and had no connection with the question.

seven on May 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM

cpcod on May 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Sadly, this is reality. And now that we’ve reached this stage, affirmative action can slip into the annals of history… buried next to Fauxcohauntas’ proof of Indian ancestry.

bettycooper on May 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Lizzy Waren took the facts
and gave the truth 40 whacks
When she saw what she has done
Blamed it all on Bush 41

Bevan on May 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

This is how I would phrase the question:
Do you think that Harvard University should have required more substanial proof other than your claim of family lore that you were their first woman of color hire, before they marketed you as such?

warden on May 25, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Julia was also a minority and no one questioned her?

Reality Checker on May 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Fitting that she is using the term “hammered” when fighting to win back Teddy Kennedy’s seat, who who was always “hammered”.

jeffn21 on May 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Scott Brown was famous for campaigning in a pickup truck. He needs to use a Grand Cherokee for this campaign, to get even with Lizzie HiCheeks Warren.

Steve Z on May 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Hiller followed up: “Does it include an Indian background?”
Warren replied, “Yes.”
“How do you know that?” Hiller asked.

Translation: I want my mommy. Bwahahahaha!

Steve Z on May 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Let us just call it for what it is. When it comes to Cherokee ancestry, Elizabeth Warren is a liar. She is using minority status strictly to garner votes and that is all she is doing. She insults the name and heritage of the Cherokee nation by continuing this deception, and she should be held accountable for it. The fact that she is lying now is proof she has likely lied before and she will lie yet again once she is in office. If she had any decency, which she has already proven she doesn’t, she would withdraw her name from the ballot, followed by issuing a public apology to the Cherokee nation for the lies she has promulgated these past months.

pilamaye on May 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Indian? I’m not even sure she’s human after that exchange…

Swerve22 on May 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM

After that disaster, she should take one those bottles down off the top shelf back there.

jake49 on May 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

When is Obama going to be put through the same wringer?

DanMan on May 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I am middle class. Answer the damn question.

Wade on May 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM

My mother told me I was left by aliens from outer space…I demand special benefits and a minority. Where’s my free stuff?

logicman_1998 on May 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Lizzy Waren took the facts
and gave the truth 40 whacks
When she saw what she has done
Blamed it all on Bush 41

Bevan on May 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Good one.

Gladtobehere on May 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

“It’s important, vote for the crook.” (Edwin Edwards and David Duke race bumper sticker).

I guess in this election Democrats figure, “It’s important, vote for the crook.”

{o.o}

herself on May 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM

What she’s basically saying is “go to hell native americans, when I use your people as a political tool and lie in the process, it’s okay, and if you have an issue with it, stuff it, because I don’t deem it an important issue to discuss.”

The folks in MA who seem to be pulling for her in this election deserve an idiot like this. Deplorable person who gets to lead deplorable dimwits who choose political affiliation over decency and common sense. These folks deserve a liar like Warren if they choose her.

TheBlueSite on May 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM

It doesn’t get any better. Under this article is an ad by ancestry.com “the world’s largest online family resource”. I’m almost tempted to click and search.

unclesmrgol on May 26, 2012 at 7:12 PM