Romney: Why is Obama attacking capitalism?

posted at 12:01 pm on May 24, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

In other words, “Hey, let’s keep talking about Bain Capital!”  Mitt Romney proudly rolled out Bain’s investment history, in which their businesses succeeded in boosting profit and viability in 80% of the cases — keeping in mind that private-equity firms and especially Bain tend to focus on already-troubled firms.  Only 5% of their bets resulted in bankruptcy later, which is a rather remarkable record for a private-equity firm.  In attacking that kind of success, Romney argued on Fox News this morning, Barack Obama has resorted to nothing less than an attack on capitalism itself:

“With regards to Bain Capital, they just put a report out about their record, the Bain Capital guys did, they noted they’ve made about 350 investments since the beginning on the firm, and of those investments, about 80 percent grew their revenues. So I’m pretty confident that the overall record of the enterprise I helped begin is pretty solid,” Romney, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, told Fox News.

In his comments, Romney was responding to three central criticisms forwarded by the Obama campaign this week: that Romney’s venture capital firm Bain Capital had exploited companies for the economic gain of executives, that Romney was advocating failed Bush-era economic policies, and that Romney had equated productivity with personal income to suggest Americans weren’t working hard enough.

The presumptive Republican nominee added that it “certainly sounds like” the president was attacking the free market system.

“There’s no question but that he’s attacking capitalism, in part I think because he doesn’t understand how the free economy works. He’s never had a job in the free economy, neither has Vice President Biden,” Romney said.

The best moment in this clip comes at the 20-second mark in the above clip, when Romney scoffs at Obama’s understanding of “productivity” in the economy.  Romney pronounces himself “amazed” at Obama’s ignorance on the topic after more than three years as President, and then patiently explains exactly what it means and why it matters.  It recalls Obama’s proclamation in 2009 about P/E ratios as “profits and earning ratios,” when in fact profits and earnings are the same thing, and P/E stands for price to earnings ratio, a measure of stock values.

Watch the full clip, though, because Fox and Friends also asks Romney about his pivot to education today:

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney opened a new front on Wednesday in his fight against President Barack Obama, accusing him of presiding over a failing U.S. education system in the grip of union bosses who refuse to accept reforms.

In a rare diversion from his campaign focus on the weak economy, Romney laid out an education plan in a speech that represented his most overt appeal to date to Hispanic voters who have largely sided with the Democratic incumbent.

Although he trails Obama by a huge margin among Hispanics, Romney’s address to a Hispanic business group avoided mentioning a top priority for them: how to overhaul the country’s immigration system.

Romney said millions of American children are getting a “third-world education” and offered proposals that he said would reward teachers for their results instead of their seniority. And he would give parents greater choice of where to send their children to school and take other steps to reduce the influence of powerful teachers’ unions.

This is a smart strategy to use for Hispanic voters, many of whom have children locked into failing schools.  It offers a reason to consider the Republican Party and its national ticket while bolstering his standing among conservatives in the party.

Update: In answer to the question in the headline, Andrew Kaczynski produces a flier from an Obama appearance at a socialist rally in 1996, when Obama ran for the state legislature.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

JFKY on May 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Yeah but steveangel hasn’t chimed in yet. Don’t you want to hear how much he still hates Romney? Don’t be such a wet blanket.

Buttercup on May 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Obama is attacking capitalism, because it’s too early in the general election season to attack Romney’s real weaknesses

Like what? It ain’t gonna be flip-flopping because Obama has opposed Gay Marriage, has opposed the mandate…opposed Iraq and Afghanistan, was gonna be gone in 18 months…Obama can’t talk “flip-flop” and he can’t run on his accomplishments, but tell me how he’s going to defeat Romney.

JFKY on May 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I can hardly wait until President Obama touts Solyndra, the Volt, and several other Green Projects as evidence of how HE would have run Bain….

JFKY on May 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Rush is talking about the FNC interview now. Says Romney picked up the ball and ran with it like a champ.

petefrt on May 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM

As to “flip-flopping/evolving” I think Obama has stood on both sides of most issues, TOO! So what’s he gonna say? So that leaves the economy and Obama’s accomplishments…and on that front I feel more and more confident that Romney can and will prevail.

JFKY on May 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Puleeeze, don’t try to make Mitt great because Obama isn’t.
Obama has set the bar so low that ANYONE would be a better POTUS than him…..but is that what you all want, just someone better than Obama?….someone who’s been running for POTUS for 8 years?….someone the Gope is telling you to vote for and to shut up and like it?….someone who claims to be a conservative but obviously isn’t?…someone who has flip-flopped on every issue and so many times, that you don’t know where he really stands?….someone who is utterly unaware how offensive his disconnect with the average American is?.

Let’s talk economy.
Again, Obama has set the bar so low, that anyone who’s had a real job, paid real bills and has had to follow a real budget could do a better job.
Yes, Mitt is an economy guy, he tells us so every day. Let’s talk about Bain and about how you all felt when the story of Bain first came out….how quickly we forget.
Let’s dig a little deeper into how Romney did as Governor of Mass in regards to the budget and such….that’s the truer measure of how he’ll “fix the economy” of the country.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM

but tell me how he’s going to defeat Romney.

JFKY on May 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM

“These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney, talking about the evilest guns in the world…semi-automatics and shotguns.

Just play that in an ad in every purple state every hour of every day for 3 months leading into November.

Or Play this in a constant loop in every red state. Every time it plays, that’s fewer donations and fewer volunteers for Romney’s campaign and GOTV effort.

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM

but is that what you all want, just someone better than Obama?

For right now, YES…apparently you’ll take four more years of Obama in order to find someone better than Romney. That doesn’t make sense to me.

As to his record, well I agree, but he SAYS he’ll govern not that way…So I’m inclined to take him at his word and send a few more TEA Party folks to Congress to help remind him of his “promises.”

JFKY on May 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Like it or not, he is the nominee. We need to stand behind
him in order to defeat Obama or this country WILL be socialist.

Amjean on May 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

YOU stand behind him….I’ll sit this one out.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Play “Bitter clingers” in response and point out that unemployment and more specifically that YOU may be unemployed every day and see how Obama fares? Point out that “of necessity electricity rates will skyrocket” and see how that works for Obama.

BTW, this has beeen done during the primary and tell me who won the primaries?

JFKY on May 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I intend to work to replace Mittens with a real conservative, but it doesn’t change the job 1 imperative of kicking Turdboy back to Chicago. Voting for the lesser of two evils sickens me (again!) but the worse of two evils (Oboobi) is national suicide. Romney is national self-mutilation by comparison.

swinia sutki on May 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I will not rehash your bitter defeat.

JFKY on May 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM

That’s fine, because pretty soon it will be “our” defeat.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Like it or not, he is the nominee. We need to stand behind him in order to defeat Obama or this country WILL be socialist.

Amjean on May 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

YOU stand behind him….I’ll vote for O’bama.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Fixed.

Del Dolemonte on May 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM

petefrt on May 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Well goody-goody for Rush. Don’t take it to heart though, cuz he would have said that if an oj can had “ran with it like a champ”.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Fixed.

Del Dolemonte on May 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM

If my one little vote does that, than so be it.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM

BTW, this has beeen done during the primary and tell me who won the primaries?

JFKY on May 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM

No it wasn’t, that’s the point. No one else had the money to attack Mitten’s in a sustained contest. He hasn’t shown an ability to defend himself from these kinds of character attacks, and his own supporters can’t manage an argument stronger than “Oh yeah, well Obama did it too and stuff.”

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Pic of the Day: President SCoaMF’s New Bestseller

Resist We Much on May 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I cannot wait for the debates, what’s poor Bambi gonna do when faced with an opponent who’s smarter than him? It’s evident by this clip that Romney has forgotten more about economics than Obama has ever known. My guess is the Lb moderators will fire away with the abortion, gay rights questions all night so as not to make their golden boy look like an idiot on national TV.

1984 in real life on May 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM

If my one little vote does that, than so be it.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Nah, you’re be joining the One post-election time in a little sore loser self-pity.

Come on, I wasn’t pulling for Romney even six months ago. It’s time to unite or disengage and I can see you doing the latter.

thebrokenrattle on May 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM

petefrt on May 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM

No, this is what Rush really said about Romney: Here.

Anything Rush says from here to Nov. 7th, isn’t his real opinion. Same as everything he had to say about McCain, last election. Rush pretends to like whatever Rino the GOP pushes, and doesn’t start talking about them honestly until after they lose the election. He’s afraid that his influence with conservatives might end up costing the GOP the election if he’s honest, and he doesn’t want to get blamed. He tried endorsing someone, Buchanan I believe, in a primary against Bush Senior in ’92, and hasn’t done that again since.

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Romney’s got all the qualities we should want in a candidate–he’s smart, articulate, politically savvy, fiscally conservative, personally disciplined with strong family values, and feisty–and he’s got Obama panicking. Yet this will never be enough for those too dishonest to admit they were mistaken about him as a candidate.

writeblock on May 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Angry as all get out that Gingrich went there. And I was an ardent Gingrich supporter.

YOU stand behind him….I’ll sit this one out.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

As is your right to do so. But do you have to tell us repeatedly in every Romney thread?

We get it. You don’t like or trust Romney, but all the moaning and groaning is not going to change the fact that he’s going to be the GOP nominee. Nor is it going to convince me to “sit this one out” because doing so is the same as a vote for Obama. Right now I’m looking at a picture of my grandkids, for their sake there’s no way on God’s green earth I’m going to turn their future over to Obama.

Flora Duh on May 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Smarten up already.
Leftist Demonrat attacks on Super Mitt are failing.

And it IS NOT because the commies aren’t trying.

Super Mitt is matches up with the A$$clown in the WH better than you holdout ABRs care to admit.

Smarten up already.

FlaMurph on May 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM

BTW, I am not going to badmouth anyone who states that they cannot, in good conscience, vote for Mittens. Been there, said that. The simple, ugly truth is that it’s Willard’s job to convince you to vote for him. You owe him nada and nobody has the right to tell you what you owe the country. They have no idea what you’ve already paid, so screw them. My temporary change of heart is not connected to some anonymous a$$wipe getting snippy on a blog.

swinia sutki on May 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM

swinia sutki on May 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM

You don’t have to.

Some guy named Andrew Breitbart said it for you at CPAC in January.

What a shame “conservatives” don’t get it.

FlaMurph on May 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM

swinia sutki on May 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Thanks for that much, at least. Truthfully, I’m about done with this site anyway. I left AceofSpades in early 2011, when he just automatically assumed a TEA Partier was behind the Tuscan shootings, and now it seems I need to leave HotAir. It’s getting to the point that even the reluctant Romney supporters are wanting HotAir to become Romneycentral, instead of a conservative website anymore. But I’m not willing to ignore what I already know about Romney, no matter how bad Obama is.

It’s a pity, I’ve been reading posts here since ’06, and only just a few months ago managed to get registered to comment myself. And the site is already moving away from what it once was. I guess I’ll just wait until after the election is over. Hopefully it will return to four years of people pretending they won’t just support whatever liberal the GOP nominates, or people screaming about how they won’t let the media pick their nominee again. Or maybe Romney will win, and the site will shill for him when he starts pushing for a VAT or Amnesty. Whatever.

Adios.

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Attacking capitalism is so gay.

Pork-Chop on May 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

No denying, MM’s departure left a gaping void that hasn’t been filled.
I pray to a merciful God that Obama loses, but if he doesn’t, I pray to the same merciful God that Romney dries up and blows away, never to darken American politics again. But that’s my reality; that Obama has to go first, then we work on what’s next because we may have just a wee bit more time to work.

swinia sutki on May 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM

What a moron you are. You and I have been over this issue already and you LOST!!!

Don’t take my word for it, here is what Gun Owners’ Action League has to say.

Legislation: During the Romney Administration, no anti-Second Amendment or anti-sportsmen legislation made its way to the Governor’s desk.

Governor Romney did sign five pro-Second Amendment/pro-sportsmen bills into law. His administration also worked with Gun Owners’ Action League and the Democratic leadership of the Massachusetts House and Senate to remove any anti-Second Amendment language from the Gang Violence bill passed in 2006.

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM

thebrokenrattle on May 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Are those my only two options? I will not “unite” behind Mitt, you can if you think that’s the right thing to do…..I won’t because I don’t.

With the choices we have, the Presidency doesn’t really matter to me….they’re one in the same, so I will vote for neither.
I’m more concerned about down ticket candidates….cleaning out the gutter of the filth as you will.
I’m more concerned about getting Boehner out as Speaker…and Allen West in….I’m more concerned about telling the gope where to get off and hoping a newer, more conservative gop will arise,…..and more personally and closer to home, I’m more concerned about getting Durbin out of office come 2014.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Buttercup on May 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM

writeblock on May 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Dishonest.

Right we are the ones being dishonest.

Not Mitt and his like that lie every time they open their mouths almost.

Yes I liked what Mitt had to say today. But if you think I will ever think being conservative finically will be enough you have no idea what most in this party really are.

I believe Mitt will do all in his power to make Gay Marriage legal in all 50 States just like he did in Mass. I believe he will do all he can to make sure Obama Care remains law or something similar to it. These two alone are enough to make me not vote for him. I simply do not believe his lies. I am sick and tired of voting for candidates that have no chance of winning. We know Moderate Republicans can not win so why do we run them. Are we insane?

I pray Mitt will actually pray with a sincere heart because he sure gets far different answers than almost every other christian in the USA. How can he possibly be for Civil Unions and Gay Marriage is beyond me but his ACTIONS prove his is.

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Why is Obama attacking capitalism?

Because he believes in a Marxist-Leninist ideology?

ButterflyDragon on May 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Democrats had taken comfort for months in the Republican Party’s seeming inability to get behind Mitt Romney, . . .

Democrats and ABRtards!

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Right we are the ones being dishonest.

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

You got that part correct.

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM

You seem to know a lot less than you pretend to know. Romney’s record as governor of the most liberal state in the Union was given a thumbs up by Club for Growth which had the good sense to realize that MA wasn’t TX. He never raised taxes, in fact tried multiple times to lower taxes, but still managed to erase the multi-billion dollar deficit and balance the budget.

writeblock on May 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM

If you were smarter you would realize what that statement is saying about your intelligence.

Oh well.

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM

The quote is accurate, but what you say it was about is wrong. Romney signed a bill in Massachusetts to outlaw assault rifles such as the Uzi and AK-47 – not “semi-automatics and shotguns”. Not the same things. For the record – I am against gun control like this and against the bill Romney signed – in fact my son has an AK-47 (actually AKM – Romanian made semi-auto). Any/all guns are either auto, semi-auto, or manual action of some sort.

dentarthurdent on May 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Sometimes I can’t believe these posts.

Romney is the nominee.

so it’s either Romney Or 4 more years of OBAMA.

I’ll take Romney.

gerrym51 on May 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM

writeblock on May 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

ABRtards aren’t able to comprehend such simple facts.

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

dentarthurdent on May 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

As governor, Romney signed a 2004 measure instituting a permanent Massachusetts ban on military style assault weapons, to take the place of a Federal ban, which was then about to expire. The bill made Massachusetts the first state to enact its own such ban on specific semi-automatic weapons and some shotguns with specific accessories, and Romney supported the law with the comment: “These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.”

Actually, it looks like we are both right.

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Actually, it looks like we are both right.

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM

The problem is your original post over-generalized. You said “semi-automatics and shotguns”. That’s not the same thing as what you now post as “specific semi-automatic weapons and some shotguns with specific accessories“.

dentarthurdent on May 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM

writeblock on May 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

This is a BS excuse.

Mitt lived in Utah a conservative State and thought about running there but determined he could not possibly win because of his very liberal record when running against Kennedy. Thus he used an illegal address of one of his sons basements (not lived in by anyone). Then using that address hijacked the Republican running and then denied being a Republican and bad mouthed all Republicans. This is the real Mitt a rabid Democrat liberal nearly as liberal as Obama.

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM

dentarthurdent on May 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Fine, he was talking about the most evilest guns in the world…specific semi-automatics and shotguns that have been painted black because that makes them eviler.

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM

A witch!

rubberneck on May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

It’s a long time til November. After 2008 I’ll never underestimate the voting public’s ability to delude itself. Everything about Obama was glaringly apparent then but still the majority fell for Hope n’ Change n’ White Guilt.

I also see little recognition in my liberal tweeps that they’re not going to fall in. They’re responding just as you’d expect to the meat Axelrod is throwing at them. Independents are grumbling, though. I hope it’s enough.

evergreen on May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I wandered away from this thread to the headlines and what do I see:

“Shakil is a dead man already”

Which brought me back to reply to this:

Adios.

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Go and I hope the door hits you on the butt hard. None of us are happy with Romney – most of us wanted Palin or Perry or someone else. However, we are pragmatic and know that the first order of business is giving us more time.

You morons (I’d use stronger words, but not wanting to get banned) who think that Obama and Romney are no different deserve to be in Afridi’s position.

You and your myopic view of the world, you’re no better than Obama thinking that anyone can be president, thinking “how hard can it be”, that someone like Ron Paul (most of you idiots are RP supporters) will be all that much better when it’s clear he wouldn’t be. That once the economy is better that the world will be shiny and new.

So go. And watch that door. It comes back pretty fast.

kim roy on May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Oh well.

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Please oh wise one, tell me then.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I’ll take Romney.

gerrym51 on May 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Well dream on.

Romney would need every Romney lean and Toss up and even some Obama Lean States to win. Not gonna happen.

We knew this with McCain yet here we are again thinking that history does not apply this time just for the last 60 years or so. It does apply. The last Moderate Republican who won was Nixon and he was impeached (forced to resign).

Obama owns the Press and Government. We need every other advantage to win but what do we do? We run Obama Lite. We are insane.

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Well no – he was talking about assault rifles – of any color.
As I said – I disagree Romeny on that bill that he signed, which is why I like living in Colorado where we don’t have laws like that.
But I get irritated when people can’t be accurate in their descriptions of these things. All semi-auto weapons are not assault rifles, even though the libs like to lump everything into the “semi-auto” basket.

dentarthurdent on May 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

kim roy on May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I do not think they are exactly the same. They are slightly different. But I can not vote for either. Both are very evil men serving Satan in my opinion. I can not vote for an Anti-Christian. A man who feels he can tell GOD what do do in his churches. Romney who forced the Catholics out of Adoption even though they were doing a fantastic job handling 50% of them. Obama is the same.

But if Romney won this evil would then have bipartisan support. If he loses then no GOP support. Huge difference.

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM

This is a BS excuse.

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM

LOL!!!

Yeah right! If that were true the Dems in Mass would have been SCREAMING foul the whole time.

DUH!!!

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Please oh wise one, tell me then.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

If you have been unable to figure it out by now, you are beyond my help.

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Stevie me boyo. Romneys the nominee . ain’t gonna change.

so you have 4 choices.

1. vote for Romney.
2. vote for Obama.
3. don’t vote.
4. move to Madagascar.

gerrym51 on May 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Dine with Trump

Yeah, Mitt’s definitely going to beat Obama. Behold his amazing fundraising ideas!

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

kim roy on May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Really?!?

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Then why are you so worried?

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Yes I liked what Mitt had to say today. But if you think I will ever think being conservative finically will be enough you have no idea what most in this party really are…I am sick and tired of voting for candidates that have no chance of winning. We know Moderate Republicans can not win so why do we run them. Are we insane?

I too am sick and tired–of so-called “conservatives” who confuse their intensely felt personal social agendas with genuine conservatism! Santorum was no more a true conservative than McCain. He was a fiscal moderate–like McCain, like Dole, like both Bushes, like Ford, like Nixon. He was still another big-government moderate–far more so than Romney who more closely resembles Christie and Giuliani (and Reagan!)in economic matters.

In fact it was phony “conservatives” like you who gave us Obama in the first place–because you turned down the one Republican who had a real chance to win the 2008 general election. Rudy Giuliani had been polling ahead of Obama and Hillary in swing states that mattered–PA, FL, OH and even in some blue states like NJ and CT. But diehards like you did to him what they tried very hard to do this time around to Romney. Romney, thank God, has prevailed.

What strikes me as strange is how myopic people like you–and I include influential pundits like Erick Erickson and Rush Limbaugh in this–have been by ignoring all the indicators which point to Romney’s success. He was more presidential than any other candidate, feistier, with a better fiscal record and a superior temperament. You ignored all that, confusing social moderates like Romney and Christie and Giuliani with fiscal moderates like Santorum and McCain and Dole. They are not the same.

writeblock on May 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM

kim roy on May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Really?!?

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

FFS. This is what I mean by myopic. Thanks so very very very much for proving my point so wonderfully.

Here I pointed out an article in the headlines about a man going to a Pakistani prison for assisting the US and yet you whine and moan about Obamacare/Romneycase.

There so much more going on that that.

Thanks again, one note.

kim roy on May 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Why do you have such a problem with the truth?

Background:

“…in 2003, when the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, in a 4-3 decision, ruled that marriage in the commonwealth would no longer be limited to unions between men and women, Romney pushed for an amendment to the state constitution that would outlaw gay marriage…”

One Fallout from Massuchusetts Supreme Court Decision — Children:

Over two years after the supreme court’s decision to legalize gay unions, after the democrat dominated state legislature’s continued refusal to pursue overturning the decision with an amended state constitution, the Bishops over Catholic charities announced they would stop providing adoption services in order to prevent being forced to adopt children to gay couples.

Mitt Romney immediately pursued getting a bill passed that would exempt religious institutions from the state’s anti-discrimination laws for that situation, which would enable Catholic Charities to continue adoption services.

Why is it that so many Romney haters have a problem with the truth?

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM

While the Massachussetts liberal legislature can be given a lot of blame for what happened while Romney was governor, it also is a lesson.

We’re not going to get somebody truly conservative and steadfast for President this election. That ship has sailed.

What we can get is all of you out there working your butts off to get the most conservative House and Senate possible to drive the agenda.

President Romney is not going to crush the base by vetoing the Ryan budget, or something better. He will roll back the 2000+ new regulations crushing the economy. He will sign what a very conservative House and Senate send him with regards to Obamacare.

The ultra-liberal wingnuts of the Democraps ran both houses for 4 years. Bush used his little remaining political capital to do what he could, Obama let them set the agenda and signed everything that came across.

Romney will do that, and give a conservative controlled house and senate the ability to AT LEAST slow the end.

If you sit this one out and cause Romney to lose, the House and Senate will just be flailing at the wind, trying to rein in a reign of regulation terror that Obama will use to bypass actually having to pass laws.

You may not like Romney, but the engine of this turn around is going to be the legislative branch and Romney will let them drive and may even do some good things himself. Obama will pour sugar in the engine and then use the destruction that follows to wreak havoc for years and years to come.

PastorJon on May 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Hawkdriver just asked you a question on the Marist poll thread. He asked simply if you want Obama to win. To me, it’s clear you do and that truth alone makes you a troll.

Slainte on May 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Not true. He could lose PA, WI, NV, MI, NM and IA and still win–though even in these states he looks strong. He needs to keep McCain’s red states and then take CO, NH, NC, VA, FL and OH–for 279 electoral votes–all doable. In all these states he is either ahead or within close striking distance. And in all the toss ups Obama’s well below 50%–which is why he’s panicking. Romney is looking stronger every day.

writeblock on May 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Are you guys done with your faux, self righteous “concern” trolling for today, or should I expect to see your stench infecting multiple threads after this one?

1984 in real life on May 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Democrats: Fired Up! Ready To Go! Vote Uncommitted 2012!

Resist We Much on May 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I’m pro-life, pro-second amendment, pro-family values, pro-Constitution, pro-national defense, and pro-fiscal responsibility. Yet I’m beginning to understand–by reading some on this thread–that there are some people who go beyond these bedrock conservative positions. They are not “true conservatives” at all. They are religious zealots.

writeblock on May 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Buckshot Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

1984 in real life on May 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM

This.

Nicole Coulter on May 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Why is Obama attacking capitalism?

Obama the socialist has inadvertently come out of the closet, the closet where most of the other socialists in the US are. He did not really mean to do it, but he could not help himself. He hates capitalism and Romney is a capitalist. And he has nothing else to run on, no record of accomplishment to wave around.

Obama is getting back to socialist basics, hoping the US is ready for his brand of socialism and that he can somehow get majority support.

Apparently he didn’t learn a thing from the Obamacare disaster, which is further evidence he is a hard core socialist. Clinton learned a political lesson from Hillarycare and moved to the center. Obama is moving to the left.

What is disconcerting and frightening is he still has a chance of pulling it off.

farsighted on May 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM

This.

Nicole Coulter on May 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Nicole….you especially, should know that I’m not a “concern troll”…or any kind of troll at all. I’ve been on this site forever, arguing first for Palin and now against Romney.
It’s what I believe.

To think I supported you when you were at c4p, and also when you left c4p to pursue what you believe….too bad you can’t reciprocate.

You won guys. I’ll leave this Romney love fest.
Good luck…but I will be back to tell y’all I told ya so.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You won guys. I’ll leave this Romney love fest.

why are you criticizing us. The only choice we have now is between Obama and Romney.

we prefer romney

gerrym51 on May 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

It’s what I believe.

You won guys. I’ll leave this Romney love fest.
Good luck…but I will be back to tell y’all I told ya so.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Love fest. This is why you are mocked and called a concern troll. People have repeatedly said believe what you wish. I’ve said that to you and yours when you say you’ll take your ball and go home. You have that right.

This is no love fest. There are very few that are pleased and I’m really po’d that I’m having to defend Romney, but I will at every turn if the alternative if Obama. The irreparable damage that man will do and no R congress/senate can stop all of it.

But to label most of us (there are a few agreed) Romney lovers… Just plain silly. You are stuck on one issue and can’t see anything past it and when any of us say anything to the contrary we are “Romney lovers”. No, we are Obama haters and see great value in living to fight another day.

I hope you grow some insight between now and November.

kim roy on May 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

we prefer romney

gerrym51 on May 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

kim roy on May 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Exactly. Romney was never my first choice, but he’s the winner for the R nomination.
Mike Rosen (conservative talk radio in Denver) is very pointed and pragmatic about this. Like it or not we have essentially a 2 party system. If you want to accomplish anything, you have to vote for the party of your choice, not the person.

dentarthurdent on May 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM

You’re right, I am “stuck on that one issue”….but it’s the only issue.
Listen, I loathe Obama, but I loathe Mitt/gope just as much…..so I will vote for neither.

I think this says it much better than I could…..

“…..You see, this is my basic dilemma, and it’s no different from what many of you now share: Romney may well be all there is in 2012, but can we survive four more years of Obama? I’ve decided that for me, the answer doesn’t matter any longer, even though I think the answer is “yes.” Yes we can. Yes we will.
What I’ve decided we cannot survive is another four years of an “opposition party” that doesn’t oppose diddly. That’s right, I said it. I have come to view the GOP establishment as the political enemy I must defeat. I can’t defeat the statists by siding with their gentler , plodding version. The constitutional republic will not be restored by going somewhat more slowly into that good night.
I recognize that many view Romney as a stalling tactic of sorts, and as a way to buy a little time to shore up Congress, take back the Senate, and so on. I say to you that if you shore it up with Boehner, Cantor, and their ilk, while capturing the Senate only to place it in the hands of Mitch McConnell, there’s no point, and you’re not even delaying the inevitable…..”
…Mark America

You do what you feel is right…and so will I and I apologize for the “Romney lovefest” comment if it offends you.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM

DUH!!!

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Why? They do this all the time. The voters like the final decision of offices in the General for obvious reasons. The Republicans do not even bother fielding people in most offices. In this case Romney maxed out contributions to the man running he dropped out so Romney could use that ticket. None of that was illegal. Though his address of residence was as he did not live there even one day though this is common and never prosecuted.

Think I will stop responding to the rest of your lies.

So far as my choices I like this one. I will do my best to restore the Republican Party to that of Abraham Lincoln. Mitt will not win so a vote for him by you or anyone else will make no difference. Wait for the DNC Convention big surprises there that will change this election completely. Obama has some very intelligent people behind him pulling his puppet strings. Who I have no idea. I would though expect a VP change.

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Why?

DUH!!! That is what Dems do whenEVER there is even the slimest possibility that a Repub might have done something wrong.

Just like you are doing now.

They do this all the time.

They are hypocrites, what do you expect.

You don’t have a problem when THEY do it. But you have a fit when Romney is accused (without evidence).

You are a Moby.

Apparently they didn’t have a problem with it. Probably because it was BS. But you swallowed it.

Think I will stop responding to the rest of your
lies.

Projection.

Steveangell on May 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM

It is obvious that you are a Moby.

Gunlock Bill on May 24, 2012 at 9:21 PM

You’re obviously blind when it comes to seeing the obvious–yet you want us to believe you can see what nobody else can. You can’t see that Romney has also got “some very intelligent people behind him,” fighting back with real gusto and dispatch. You can’t see that he’s already on a par with the President in fundraising and in most polls–to everyone’s surprise–and even ahead in Gallup. You keep waiting–hoping–for an implosion by Romney that’ll never come– even as Obama keeps blundering absurdly. You can’t admit even to yourself that Obama’s team has been desperately looking for some issue to exploit–some high school peccadillo, a dog on the top of the car maybe, an outlandish war on women, anything to move his approval numbers up–and he keeps coming up empty. The Bain card didn’t work, the race card didn’t work, the Romney-is-too-extreme card didn’t work–and the Mormon card won’t work either. What makes you think Obama will come up with anything better than what he’s already tried?

writeblock on May 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM

It’s what I believe.

You won guys. I’ll leave this Romney love fest.
Good luck…but I will be back to tell y’all I told ya so.

I may have read the “quote” too quickly … I don’t think you’re a concern troll. But I do question why people refuse to unite. Even Gingrich is getting behind Mitt.

Why do you act as if I’ve let you down? I have never been anything but honest. I supported Sarah Palin 100% and continue to admire her and defend her. I wrote for C4P for two years and continue to enjoy friendships in the Palin blogosphere. I’m not blogging anywhere right now. I have a lot going on in my life.

People seem to think that someone can’t support Sarah Palin AND Mitt Romney. They’re not running against each other!!! My support for Sarah Palin was never soley about her ideology, and maybe that’s the difference between you and me. I supported Sarah because she is a good and decent person who governed her state and her city with integrity, representing the unique needs of Alaskans.

I support Mitt Romney for the same reasons. Massachussetts will never be Alaska, or Texas, for that matter. But I’ve studied Mitt’s record, and he was as conservative as you can get in that state, taking on a deficit and turning it around, while battling an 85% Democrat legislature. Furthermore, I supported him in 2008 as a conservative ALTERNATIVE to McCain, as did Rush, Levin, Hannity, and Ingraham.

Sarah Palin endorsed McCain TWICE. So if Mitt Romney is more conservative than McCain and Sarah signed off on McCain, I’m completely baffled why many Palinistas are so opposed to Romney.

Something tells me it’s personal. Well, it’s personal for me too. Mitt Romney is the only person right now who stands between turning around the generational theft that is our federal debt, and sliding into insolvency.

Nicole Coulter on May 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM

+ 100 excellent post!!..I really respect the decision you have come to and understand the sacrifice that it took..:)

Dire Straits on May 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Nicole Coulter on May 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM

PS..Sorry..Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on May 25, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I hope you grow some insight between now and November.

kim roy on May 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

It’s not a very good sign when a nominee’s “defenders” have to include in every “defense” something along the lines of “look, he’s not my 3rd or 4th or even 8th choice, but he’s what we’ve got…” And then it’s “concern trolling” to point out how weak such a candidate is. Get a grip.

Nicole Coulter on May 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM

In 2008, Romney wasn’t really the “conservative alternative”; he was merely less squishy than McCain. But by all means ride that Romney Train to your heart’s content.

ddrintn on May 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Puleeeze, don’t try to make Mitt great because Obama isn’t.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Bingo. That’s it in a nutshell.

ddrintn on May 26, 2012 at 9:22 AM