Report: New gay D.C. Comics superhero is…

posted at 9:21 pm on May 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

No no no, it’s not Batman. C’mon. It doesn’t mean a man is gay just because he feels alienated from society and spends lots of time with a male companion and, er, dresses flamboyantly in a way that shows off his buff physique. Wait — are we sure it’s not Batman?

No, it’s not. Allegedly:

I’m hearing that it’s Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern.

Created by Martin Nodell, and first written with Bill Finger in 1940, Green Lantern was originally a mysticaly-based superhero, whose powers were derived from the flame of a magic lamp and he became an original member of the Justice Society Of America.

Eventually, Green Lantern would be rebooted in the sixties by DC as a science fiction superhero, Hal Jordan recruited by an alien police force to monitor the galaxy, the character that recently inspired a Hollywood movie. But in the comics, the original Green Lantern would also repeatedly reappear, often as an older man.

In the DC New 52 books, Alan Scott was reintroduced this month in Earth Two #1, as a young man, and head of GBC Productions.

Does the Green Lantern really qualify as one of “the major iconic D.C. characters”? I have only a passing knowledge of comics but my impression is that he’s the second-lamest “major” superhero there is, aside of course from you-know-who. Granted, he finally got his own movie, but that was after Hollywood completely exhausted Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man. (Well, not completely.) Even the Fantastic Four got their own movie before he did. I’m not even sure what his superpowers are. His main power now, I guess, is drumming up cheap publicity for D.C. Comics by magically transforming into a minor footnote in the culture war over gay rights.

Ah well. If nothing else, the next Green Lantern movie promises to be a little different from the usual cookie-cutter superhero flick. Expect them to get around to it sometime after the next 20 Superman/Batman/Spider-Man reboots. Exit question: Should D.C. have moved faster on this? If they had rolled out the new gay GL even a month sooner, he might have landed a cameo in this self-congratulatory new ad from a guy who spent the past decade relentlessly lying about his position on gay marriage to protect his own political viability.

Update: Ace, who does know something about comics, calls this a cop out.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Are you a professional?

tom daschle concerned on May 24, 2012 at 9:23 PM

It will be a new major figure — SuperObama, killer of Osama Bin Laden.

The Rogue Tomato on May 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM

LGBT community to get upset that it isn’t a more prominent role model.

SouthernGent on May 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I’d love it if Wonder Woman went lesbian…

wildcat72 on May 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM

So the gay superhero gets his mojo from a flaming icon? Couldn’t see that one coming.

James on May 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM

It’s the green lantern, it was broke by the National Review

Conservative4ev on May 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I kinda hope its Wonder Woman.

vegconservative on May 24, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Yeah Green Lantern is definitely one of the major characters. Not a Batman, Wonder Woman or Superman, but right there on the next tier.

Why not rename Aquaman Sea Man and go that route?

Dash on May 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM

It will be The Hulk and he will sound an awful lot like Mike Tyson.

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

1:09…

… That’s all I could take.

Seven Percent Solution on May 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

IF there was a thimble full of talent at DC comics these days they could have CREATED a NEW superhero and given him/her any characteristics that they chose. However, given that DC apparently is suffering from the same dearth of talent that has afflicted Hollywood, they were left with a REMAKE of their own… singling out a classic character and rewriting that character to suit their ‘evolving’ ideology.

thatsafactjack on May 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Rainbow Lanterns for all!!!!!!

F A B U L O U S !! !

Tim_CA on May 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Superman wouldn’t make sense. He-Man maybe- I mean come on. Prince Adam? That is a high-paid male stripper’s name if ever ther was one.

Greek Fire on May 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

1:09…

… That’s all I could take.

Seven Percent Solution on May 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Lucky for me I’m on the iPad thingy. ; )

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

The Gay Lantern.

Really? Nobody yet with that? Such low hanging fruit.

*zing*

RedNewEnglander on May 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I’ll bet DC would give their eye teeth to own Marvel’s SILVER SURFER.

thatsafactjack on May 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Why can’t they create a gay superhero like RainbowMan or Backdoor Man?

Conservative Samizdat on May 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

One of Alan Scott’s weaknesses is that his ring can be negated by anything made of wood. (No joke!)

RedRobin145 on May 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Green Manturn?

John the Libertarian on May 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I thought it would be Green Lantern or AquaMan. Backdoor Man is more like it, LOL.

Philly on May 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Hmmm…well the so-called new Green Lantern aka Hal Jordan did hang around with Green Arrow alot. Now Green Arrow, yeah he was definitely Gay. Personally though I think it should have been Robin. Made more sense after he lived in Batman’s shadow for all those years and his costume was sort of elvish multi-colored already.

Deanna on May 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I still vote for the Martian Manhunter (J’onn J’onzz)…

patch on May 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I’m going to put on my comic nerd hat and say that yes, Green Lantern is a major superhero in the DC Comic universe. Geoff Johns’ run on “Blackest Night” was one of the best series of comics ever produced.

That said, the Alan Scott version of Green Lantern? Lamer than Aquaman.

Queasy on May 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Green Lantern? As long as it’s not Superman, Bat Man, or any of the truly major comics character, I don’t care a whole lot.

(Not that I approve of this fad of placing a token homosexual in any and every book / tv show / movie / comic book series – because I don’t. It’s become really annoying.)

TigerPaw on May 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Trust me, AP. We can tell.

Green Lantern is a big name. Granted, Hal’s a much bigger name than Alan, but it’s not like they made Matter Eater Lad come out, or someone of that caliber.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

And Alan Scott wasn’t even Green Lantern enough to be in that movie.

Guess that means the two children he had in the old continuity-Jade and Obsidian- now either don’t exist or will have to have even more convoluted origins.

Betenoire on May 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM

That said, the Alan Scott version of Green Lantern? Lamer than Aquaman.

Queasy on May 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Now it makes sense why Alan Scott’s only weakness is wood.

*rimshot*

(I know, I know, easy joke, but it had to be done).

Good Solid B-Plus on May 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Soooo… the animated GL series currently running on Cartoon Network is cancelled? I mean, that character is an unabashed breeder. GL was also het on the last DVD.

And the series before that.
And the series before that…

StubbleSpark on May 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM

XD XD XD THIS DOES SOUND SUSPICIOUS…

Sachiko on May 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Green Lantern is lame.

There, I said it. DC has TWO superheroes that people are passionate about, but even those are flailing and failing, and their “relaunch” of their universe has been an abysmal failure.

When Marvel can take some of their lesser known characters and turn them into the biggest film of the year and one of the top 4 grossing films of all time (and it will beat out “The Dark Knight” by the end of the weekend), there’s a reason.

DC has fully embraced the nihilistic and dystopian view of Batman and put it in its whole universe. It is a universe devoid of heroes because it is a universe devoid of hope. Without hope, there is never a reason for anything.

DC is failing (and Marvel is winning–at least at the box office) because hope is still a virtue that every person on the earth wants. (Will the last Batman film be a huge hit? I’m certain of it. But it won’t beat out “The Avengers” because it will be a celebration of a hero who can’t even be called a hero finally becoming even more like the very villains he tries to defeat. Hope is a tough commodity to beat–something Obama used to his advantage in 2008.)

Making a “hero” gay will not change their fortunes, anymore than Obama’s “evolution” will change people’s votes, unless this was DC’s “Bizarro” world, where everything was opposite.

duanesm on May 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I love you guys…….except when you talk comics or movies!
Green Lantern is DC’s 2nd most popular character, next to Batman of course. More importantly, Alan Scott is not the Green Lantern from the current comics nor the movie. That honor lies with Hal Jordan.
Anyway, love you guys despite your constant poo-poohing of my favorite things.

Jason Alexander on May 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

So will his lantern have rainbow colors?

tomas on May 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I called it! This was going to take a man without fear… and a small fan base.

Hog Wild on May 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It’s a trail balloon. They don’t have the courage to make one of the big guys gay.

JellyToast on May 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Justice League International stands behind The Green Lantern.
Taking turns.

Electrongod on May 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Anyway, love you guys despite your constant poo-poohing of my favorite things.

Jason Alexander on May 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Uh, Superman? Unless you mean by pure comic sales, in which case Supes has been in the dumpster since ‘The Death and Return.’

Superman and Batman are in their own popularity tier, but Green Lantern is comfortably ranked with Wonder Woman, Flash and a few others. He’s one of DC’s heavy hitters, for sure, but Alan’s like…the third most popular GL?

Good Solid B-Plus on May 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Tin… from the original Metal Men

JackBurtonJr on May 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Should have been the Green Arrow his name is Oliver Queen FCS!

Your Mamma loves me on May 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

can’t wait for the first issue.. Supper Bulge Packer!!,Can knock down walls, with his big fat Ball$ .. Wow

Capt-Dax on May 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

It’s Mr. Mxyzptlk.

thatsafactjack on May 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

My money was on Tom Terrific.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Wait…Chris Matthews isn’t a superhero, is he?

James on May 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM

More like fifth. There are four human GLs in the current New 52 continuity not counting Alan.

Queasy on May 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Why can’t they create a gay superhero like RainbowMan or Backdoor Man?

Conservative Samizdat on May 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Still waiting for them to be more inclusive..

BDSMman complete with leathers and a bullwhip or Feline foot fetish…

Because that is what comic books need more of: diverse sexuality//

melle1228 on May 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Such low hanging fruit.

I think the proper term is ‘elderly gay’.

MechanicalBill on May 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I love you guys…….except when you talk comics or movies!
Anyway, love you guys despite your constant poo-poohing of my favorite things.

Jason Alexander on May 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

The problem is for us folks who don’t really follow the comics much and instead base the popularity of these superheroes on the success of their feature films(assuming they even warrant one in the first place). And Green Lantern was a box office bomb.

If WB wants to build up to a Justice League movie(ala Marvel and The Avengers), the failure of that flick is gonna be a major hurdle to overcome. Do they attempt a sequel or do they reboot it just a few short years after the first one?

Doughboy on May 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I think it’s Sea Man from South Park. (Apparently Tom Cruise is a fan.)

Tzetzes on May 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Nice to see them bravely pick a character nobody cares about after the movie has already flopped. All the progressive credit with none of the risk.

RightOFLeft on May 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

duanesm on May 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM

The problem DC has is its superheroes lack humor . Batman has become a depressing stoic. Superman is too super-powered. Only Green Lantern had the sort of personality that people think, “Hey I’d like to be friends with that guy.” Heck, who’d want to be friends with Batman/Bruce Wayne, he’s tedious. And forget Superman, what would you joke around about? Marvel took their characters and gave them a sense of humor and friendliness, even The Hulk comes off as wanting to have a friend. When The Avengers get together it seems like a group of friends while the Justice League is …well just a group.

Deanna on May 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

The obvious one would be Swamp Thing

tomas on May 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I am glad we have a Gay of the day post since the evolving of Obama

Sometimes, it almost sounds as if everybody is Gay, we hear so called updates daily on who is gay and who is not, and some still want us to believe that all these people were born Gay

Gimme a break

OrthodoxJew on May 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Damn bastard. I almost swallowed my tongue when I read the headline then saw the Batman logo. Whew.

mam646 on May 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I think it will be Ace and/or Gary. What’s everyone looking at?

BDavis on May 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I thought it was going to be Mommie Pants Man. Really obscure, fifth or sixth tier. His alter ego is a golf playing totally inept leader of a country.

msupertas on May 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

No way is BatMan gay. But Robin is a girls name.

SparkPlug on May 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

ZAN

tomas on May 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Doughboy on May 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Call it the “Social justice League” and have some new, fresh characters modeled on Eric Holder and Debbie Wasserman Shultz and it’s gold.

Buy Danish on May 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Oddly, there’s a gay club in Washington, D.C. called “The Green Latern”. (I would post a link, but some of the pictures are a bit racy, but you can easily search for it online if you want). I wonder if zer0bama has ever been there. It was just kind of average and boring when I was there.

SouthernGent on May 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM

It’s somewhat difficult for them since the vast majority of heroes have had very longterm relationships as well. Batman having been married (to Catwoman) and had a kid (The Huntress), Superman and Lois, Aquaman and Mira, Greenlantern and Carol Ferris, Green Arrow and Black Canary, Wonderwoman and Steve Trevor, Flash and Iris West. Even Allan Scott – the original Green Lantern from the 40s and 50s – had a wife and I believe kids. Whatever they do, they’re retconning huge amounts of stories and going to upset SOMEONE.

I think the word “Iconic” in relation to Allan Scott is actually pretty fair considering he was decades before the younger Hal Jordan-Green Lantern. But it’s also a bit of a copout.

Whatever the case, my apathy on the matter is passionate and I shrug loudly.

WashingtonsWake on May 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Another day, another stupid post on homosexuality by Allahpundit.

Hotair needs better quality of Atheists.

And the worst part, he has to poohpooh on the superhero movies!

Allahpundit three strikes against him…

1) Atheist

2) Pro-homosexual

3) Superhero hater….

I can do with the first two, but the last one, that’s the last drop in the bucket! LOL

Cpt. Kirk on May 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Not the Green Lantern. A Green Lantern, and as Ace points out, one no one remembers. The Green Lantern is a second teir superhero in the DCverse, but this is pathetic. I’m kinda glad, but it’s silly. At this point, why even do it?!

I was never a DC comics guy. I was always reading Marvel and indies. DC Comics is the Pepsi of the comics book world.

And, considering how volatile the comics book industry is – much by their own doing (mid-90′s, death of Superman comes to mind), they do anything they can to sell books. Comic books are soap operas with the same schtick time and again. It’s why I went mostly for indie comics and primarily stuck with one or two titles from Marvel. Indie comics are willing to break from the mold that DC and Marvel have set for themselves. Problem is, if DC or Marvel tries too hard to go the full indie route, they might pop their little bubbles with the diehard nerds.

Y’all joke on Aquaman, but Marvel had/has one worse… Prince Namor – Marvel’s answer to Aquaman, or vice versa. He looks elfin with a speedo… of course, I used to like reading comic books about elves… Anyhow, Aquaman is cooler.

I’m going to hide now…

Logus on May 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Do gay people really wear a lot of green? Seriously.

tomas on May 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Let’s not and say they did.

kingsjester on May 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM

when will a conservative blogger come out of the closet? But the Green Lantern is a major character and if this is true it’s a terrible thing..I won’t be buying any Green Lantern Comics in the future or seeing anymore of his movies..heck, i should boycott DC period..that would be tough giving up watching The Dark Knight Rises though…It’s a terrible decision to change a character so dramatically instead of just making a gay hero from the beginning..nothing is sacred anymore, everything is GAY GAY GAY

sadsushi on May 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Glad its not going to be Batman. From what I was reading on the internet, there was going to be a MAJOR backlash if it was Batman coming out of the closet.

Not that boycotts would have made a dent in the Dark Knight Rises’ box office. The thought of LGBT activists spinning the movie’s box office success as proof of support has Batman been made gay makes me want to barf.

Jurisprudence on May 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Do Green Latern fans even consider the first one a major character? I thought Hal Jordan and Rayner were the 2 biggies.

Zaggs on May 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I thought the gay superhero was going to be this guy, http://www.jibjab.com/originals/hes_barack_obama

Cpt. Kirk on May 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Green? Mystical?

Come on. We know who this really is. Don’t we?

BKeyser on May 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Deanna on May 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

That’s why DC comics is Pepsi to Marvel’s Coca Cola and some of the indies were Dr. Pepper…

Logus on May 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

That would be Hawkman

tomas on May 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Zaggs on May 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I’m actually surprised, since Green Lantern had John Stewart, one of the first black superheros. I thought they were going to go with a different superhero.

Jurisprudence on May 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Doughboy on May 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Neither Hulk film were Smashes (sorry) and Avengers had no problem despite that (or the rather mediocre story that was Iron Man 2). The idea Marvel had was to build up the characters so they had some presence in the film goers eye even if some of the component films (Hulk) weren’t that big on their own. So a Justice League picture wouldn’t be set back that much by a poor showing of GL- though poor showing of Man of Steel would be a bigger issue.

Also the fact that Nolan’s Batman doesn’t fit well in a superhero universe plus Bale being done with the role is far bigger a concern than the returns from GL as that character will need a new intro before dropping him in a team flick to prevent people from turning n the interpretation.

Betenoire on May 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Well, this is no different than the Harry Potter author claiming that Dumbledorf (or how ever you spell his name) was actually a homosexual. Why do it?

To gain fame in this world, to sell your soul for money and acceptance from those who control the media, to have a candle turned on to you at the alter of hollywood, Liberal elites and the militant homosexual community. Selling your soul to feel good, for a second or two.

Cpt. Kirk on May 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I can buy Alan Scott coming out of the green closet. He does rank as one of their older iconic heroes and who wouldn’t want a magic ring to make all your dreams come true. The cape design alone gives it away.

It is someone ironic that his ring’s single weakness is…wood. That’s gonna be inconvenient in mid battle with some sweaty rogue (oh wait, that’s the Flash’s gallery). And to work the ring requires will power and focus. Guess you don’t want to get distracted too easily.

CitizenEgg on May 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Not that boycotts would have made a dent in the Dark Knight Rises’ box office.

Jurisprudence on May 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

While there are many movies based on comic books and comic book characters, the two world don’t necessarily intersect or affect each other at the cash register.

Most people who see the movies no little to nothing about the comic books. More people see the movies than they buy the comic books.

For a guy like me looking to sell my old Thor comics, it means that the movies have increased their value, but not necessarily interest. So they sit until someone’s willing to pay me something close to what they’re worth cuz I’m not giving them away for some dealer to turn around and sell them for book value. Comic books as investments are in the favor of major collectors, auction houses and some dealers, not the average fan who’s spent way too much money building a collection. But I digress.

Anyhow, while there might be a backlash among comic book nerds, those same nerds would probably still watch the movies and again, most movie watchers would probably not boycott the movies. Unless they thoroughly screwed with the comic books and then changed a major movie with a new reboot or some such.

Logus on May 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

There’s probably a number of characters Marvel could dig up and make gay if they wanted to do so. Marvel had/has a trove of wacky characters that were throw-aways, filler. They’d attack or help a primary hero for one or a couple issues and then fade out and their costume, name and powers were usually zany. Oh those 70′s and early 80′s comic books…

Back issues people… old Thor comic books…

Logus on May 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Important: It’s Alan Scott–the Green Lantern of Earth-2, not these other Green Lanterns: womanizing Hal Jordan, jingoistic Guy Gardner, gung-ho John Stewart, or sensitive and artistic Kyle Rayner.

Personally, I would have gone for Rayner. I know they rebooted the entire DC Universe, but before the reboot, Alan Scott was over seventy years old and had two grown children.

Black Adam on May 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Trivia

@OMGFacts Neil Patrick Harris used to voice Spider-Man. When? –> http://t.co/viQwhuyq

Flora Duh on May 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Flora Duh on May 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM

That series is available on Netflix. It’s the 2003 animated series and it’s great.

CitizenEgg on May 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Black Adam on May 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Yeah there’s a graphic novel collection of Rayner’s gay friend getting beaten up that was way gay soul searching and made him take a break. He’d have been believable as the new rainbow lantern.

CitizenEgg on May 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I guess that just makes Superman and Donovan bi-curious.

Laura in Maryland on May 24, 2012 at 10:29 PM

1:09…

… That’s all I could take.

Seven Percent Solution on May 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

You’re better than me… I couldn’t make it 30 seconds. Drooonnnning and drooonnning and drroooonnnnnning… GAK !!!!!!!

ExpressoBold on May 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Green Lantern second-tier? Are you kidding? Alan Scott maybe, but Hal Jordan… not so much.

Aquarian on May 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I don’t think Aquaman is that lame. Homeboy even had a TV show. Well, sorta.

ted c on May 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Logus on May 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Skip all that and go straight to the National Lampoon magazine. Great comics, great art work…Frazetta, Bode, Gorey, Gahan Wilson, Neal Adams, etc. Dragula was hilarious.

Deanna on May 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

They are embracing gays with exactly the same enthusiasm as Mr. Obama did.

Mr. Obama: I’ve evolved, but it’s an issue for the states to decide.

DC Comics: He’ll be gay, but only in an alternate world.

I guess if you jump the shark, you can always close the portal to the alternate universe and everything is as it was before in the next issue.

unclesmrgol on May 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Thank you Mask Man.

Kenosha Kid on May 24, 2012 at 10:55 PM

If it’s “the Man of Steel” look out. Viagra will be the new kryptonite.

smellthecoffee on May 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM

…no comment (:->)

KOOLAID2 on May 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Two Girls One Cup would sell more tickets than a gay superhero movie.

Moesart on May 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM

There is NO way Marvel is Coke. Sorry, but DC is the original, marvel is the wanna-be. And the indies are more like local rootbeers and sasparilla than Dr. Pepper. Don’t get me wrong, I love all comics, but DC was way ahead of Marvel. In fact, a lot of the slam-back against the ‘hokiness’ of DC and then the worse slams when they try to update is reminiscent of the problems coke had with new coke.

As great as Marvel is, Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman ARE the icons of Superherodom.

WashingtonsWake on May 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Yes, I’d say Allan Scott is still considered pretty important to long-time fans.

WashingtonsWake on May 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM

The Generalissimo posits that the mystery “queer” is Aquaman. Could be. But isn’t this all like uber-liberal J.K. Rowling telling us, after the Harry Potter series had already been written, that Dumbledore was a homosexual? Not that there’s anything wrong with that, and may he rest in peace, but honestly, WTF cares?

minnesoter on May 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM

And this isn’t even the Green Lantern from the box-office bomb. This is the original character from the ’40s. Well a new version of that character. It’s a long story, because comics are stupid.

Jim Treacher on May 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM

It’s Lex Luthor, of course.

Not exactly a “superhero”, but his m.o. fits the bill.

Taking being in the closet out of the world as his hopeless longing for the Man Of Steel peters out.

profitsbeard on May 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Space Ghost called. He said that he wants to “get to the bottom” of all these rumors about a gay superhero.

My collie says:

I see what you did there, CC.

CyberCipher on May 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM

WashingtonsWake on May 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM

All comic book movies are kind of gay goofy.

Dr. Tesla on May 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I’m not a comic book guy, but wouldn’t Wonder Woman be ranked pretty highly? Certainly not on the level of Superman or Batman, but I’d think she’d be above Green Lantern or Flash. I know nothing of comic book sales, but just due to the Lynda Carter TV show I’d think she’d be better known to the general public.

Shump on May 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM

On the other hand, how could Captain Planet NOT be gay?

Aardvark on May 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

The Green Lantern they are talking about possibly making gay is on an “alternate reality” earth called “Earth 2″ (I know :p). This Green Lantern has almost nothing to do with the one most of us are familiar with with the ring and constructs. This Green Lantern’s weakness…wood.

Sammo21 on May 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM