Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on May 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday denounced as “unjust and unwarranted” the treatment of a Pakistani doctor who was jailed for 33 years for helping in the hunt for Osama bin Laden…

The chief US diplomat said Afridi’s role “was instrumental in taking down one of the world’s most wanted murderers. That was clearly in Pakistan’s interest, as well as ours and the rest of the world’s.”…

Her remarks were stronger than those given Wednesday by State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland who said Pakistan had “no basis for Dr. Afridi to be held.”

***

Two Senate committees today took the first legislative steps to cut aid to Pakistan after that country’s conviction of Dr. Shakil Afridi, who aided American intelligence in its mission to kill Osama bin Laden…

The Senate Appropriations Committee cut Pakistan’s assistance by the symbolic amount of $33 million – $1 million for each year Afridi’s sentence

The committee approved the amendment, offered by Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., by a unanimous 30-0 vote. The funds would continue to be withheld until Afridi gets released from prison and cleared of all charges relating to his assistance in locating bin Laden.

***

“He was not and is not a spy for our country. This was not a crime against Pakistan. It was an effort and locate and help bring to justice the world’s No. 1 terrorist,” [Feinstein] said. “This conviction says to be that al Qaeda is viewed by the court to be Pakistan … I don’t know which side of the war Pakistan is on.”…

“It is Alice in Wonderland, at best, but it is outrageous in itself. If this is cooperation, I would hate like heck to see opposition,” Leahy said…

“Pakistan is a schizophrenic at best ally,” Graham said as he introduced the amendment to cut funding over the Afridi situation. “They are helping the Haqqani network … which is basically a mob trying to take over parts of Afghanistan. And the ISI constantly provides assistance in Quetta on the Pakistani side of the border.”

“The situation with the doctor is a classic example of not understanding the world the way it is,” Graham said. “We need Pakistan, but we don’t need a Pakistan that cannot see the justice in bringing bin Laden to an end.”

***

Former U.S. intelligence officers accused the Obama administration of dropping the ball on the case of the Pakistani doctor sentenced to 33 years in prison for helping find Usama bin Laden — with one openly challenging the State Department’s claim that it pressed his case “regularly” with Islamabad…

Peter Brookes, a former analyst and adviser with several intelligence agencies who is now a senior fellow with the Heritage Foundation, told Fox News on Thursday that the U.S. should have had a plan to get him out of Pakistan immediately following the raid…

“From what I’m hearing, we did pretty much nothing,” [former military intelligence officer Lt. Col. Tony Shaffer] said. “We did nothing diplomatically at all, didn’t raise a finger. … From what my sources tell me, we did nothing to try and help this guy.”

He and Brookes expressed concern that Afridi’s plight could make it more difficult to convince foreign sources to work with U.S. intelligence on counterterror missions in the future.

***

Pakistan’s clear message to the U.S.: don’t violate our sovereignty. Its message to its own citizens: don’t even think about cooperating with the CIA. To ensure that Afridi would be found guilty and sentenced harshly, Islamabad arranged to have him tried in a government court presided over by a tribal political agent in consultation with a council of elders under the 19th-century Frontier Crimes Regulations that were drawn up by the British colonial power at the time. Under the FCR, the court is not subject to the Pakistani constitution, and its sentences are usually harsher than those handed down by the mainstream Pakistani court system. Nor can the sentences of tribal courts be appealed in normal Pakistani courts. Once sentenced, Afridi was transferred immediately out of the Khyber tribal agency and thrown into the Central Prison in Peshawar.

The government insists it will ensure his safety. But many Pakistanis are not so sure. In the court of public opinion, he is seen as a traitor. Not surprisingly, the Pakistani Taliban praised the sentence. “In my heart I wanted to kiss feet of the political agent for punishing Shakil with a lifelong prison term,” Janfida Wazir, a Pakistani Taliban commander from the South Waziristan tribal agency, tells The Daily Beast. “Our mujahideen, Sheik Osama’s family, and I are very happy with the great judgment of the political agent.”

Wazir also says militants are determined to kidnap or kill Afridi if they get the chance. “Shakil is a dead man already,” he says. “The government can’t build a separate jail for him.” Afghans and Pakistanis who are cooperating with the U.S. eventually will meet Afridi’s fate and be abandoned by the U.S., adds Wazir. “What happened to Afridi is a good lesson for those puppets of the U.S. in Afghanistan and Pakistan,” he says. “They will be thrown away like rubbish after the U.S. has achieved its goals.”

***

Shakil Afridi, the Pakistani doctor who helped the CIA collect data that led to the killing of Osama bin Laden, was convicted of high treason today and sentenced to 33 years in prison. Given the severity of the sentence, it’s worth considering a few of the people who the Pakistani justice system has not seen fit to put behind bars:

Hafiz Saeed

The head of a banned charity widely believed to be a front for the international terrorist group Lashkar-e-Taiba is wanted by both India and the United States for his alleged role in orchestrated the 2008 Mumbai attacks. The Lahore High Court dropped all charges against Saeed in 2009. Last month, the U.S. offered a $10 million reward for information leading to Saeed’s arrest, which raised some eyebrows since he’s not in hiding. Saeed held a press conference inviting U.S. authorities to come and get him.

Abdul Qadeer Khan

Despite having admitted to selling nuclear secrets to North Korea, Iran, and Libya, A.Q. Khan was freed from house arrest in 2009. The father of Pakistan’s nuclear program has been officially pardoned and is now immune from further prosecution.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

Cindy Munford on May 25, 2012 at 2:51 AM

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Thanks

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Doing my best Stephen Fry, “Tell…tell.”

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Forgive me if this is a bit boring. When I was younger and had to have the type of stereo in my car that would power me to the next gas station, if I ran out of gas. I was sitting at a stop light listening to the four seasons. there was a nice older couple to my left while we were sitting at the stop light. This kid pulls up in a lowered car with the boom boom stereo playing (c)rap, the “c” is silent you know, music. So I turn up my stereo to drown out the kids (c)rap music. The elder couple just look over at me… and give the biggest smile, while the kid next to me just has this completely puzzled look on his face.

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Very Nice!..Cool pictures!..:)

Dire Straits on May 25, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Yes, it does.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Is it a ball mouse, or laser? you might want to reset the USB stick and double check the battery reading on the mouse.

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Arbitrary choice.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I must say I am heartbroken, nay!, crest-fallen to discover this truth, when here I believed you were riding the tide of zeitgeist and, oh, that non c’est pas, that you had more than a certain panache.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

If you had the “artillery” to drown him out, then you did the old folks a favor. (Two-thumbs-up.)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM

I thought it was beautiful, though.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Clip was selected for brevity (and Bernstein), but you’re probably right about the balance between voices and music. Recorded in a cathedral, after all. Anyway, you should listen to the entire symphony for about 50 times the impact of the ending. Here’s the libretto off the internet to read what they’re singing.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:11 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:05 AM

I know I didn’t give much info. Just didn’t want to type a ginormous paragraph. Another problem with this touchy cursor is that I will be in the middle of a sentence, then all of a sudden I’m typing in the preceding paragraph. Because that’s where the cursor was hovering.

Does that help any? If not, don’t worry about it and thanks to you guys for attempting to help. Much appreciated.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM

At the time, many year ago back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I had a 100W Kenwood with a 150W power amp.

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Guess you had to be at my high school. L’audace, l’audace! Toujours l’audace!

But please tell me you are a libertarian?

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Sounds like a touchpad problem. I don’t mean to be glib, but you should get a Mac. I resisted for years, and finally surrendered and have never looked back.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM

I am just to the Right of Dick Cheney, who is a one year younger than me, and doesn’t have the benefit of having my Army experience.

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

You’ve done the ordinary stuff, like shut it down, reboot, etc., right? Had a jumpy cursor that wanted to edit things I’d long since left behind in Word. Was a software thing that rebooting seemed to fix.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:17 AM

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Well, I think we shall deem you custom… as you don’t strike me as the fashion type, you don’t always stand on etiquette, and you are customarily a very good source of relevance :)

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM

But please tell me you are a libertarian?

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

I’ve turned into more of a federalist in the sense that I believe states should be allowed to legalize just about anything over the age of 18. But it cuts both ways in the sense that if a state wants to illegalize certain things, such as abortion, they should have that right as well.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Laser. Battery is good, but I’ll try the reset on the USB. Thanks!

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Well, it’s a USB mouse. So…I think that these unintentional “clicks” are either dirty buttons, or some sort of virus.

(Really, I think your mouse needs cleaning. Someone in your family good with computers? It’s not too hard, I’d do it for ya’.)

The ALTERNATIVE is to buy a new mouse. (Or use an old one that someone can loan you (or you might have).

IF THE CONNECTION FITS INTO YOUR COMPUTER THAN YOU WON’T BE DOING IT ANY HARM!

This could narrow down your problem.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Then I like you already, because I voted for Dick Cheney, and W just happened to be on the ticket.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Great story.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:20 AM

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM

The one I want to see move politically is Liz Cheney. She will be dynamite. I am an old guy that loves her.

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 3:23 AM

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Um, yeah. I’m a federalist, too.
Anything that the Constitution does not say that the federal government may do, I feel is for the states (or the people) to decide.

(I feel you, but let’s make sure we know what we’re talking about when we talk of federalism. We haven’t had it in…forever.)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:25 AM

She will be dynamite. I am an old guy that loves her.

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 3:23 AM

She IS dynamite. She gets it.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:25 AM

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM

I’ve always been a Mac person. Love them. It’s just a budgetary thing at the moment. Within a matter of weeks, I lost my PC, my DVD player, my phone, my toaster oven, and also had dental work and a car in the shop.

Hahaha. It actually became funny…after it wasn’t.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:25 AM

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 3:23 AM

+ One trillion!

Cindy Munford on May 25, 2012 at 3:26 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Not since the War Between The States.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:26 AM

It actually became funny…after it wasn’t.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Isn’t it weird how life slams in waves like that?

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Again, it’s a “separate” mouse, NOT THE PAD, right?

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Yes. I’m just going to stick with the demon-possessed theory for now.

Enough of my computer problems, someone spin another tune!

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Thanks! That works better than, “see, back in high school…” Yours lends a certain irony in that we tended to employ the phrase precisely to mock local custom, tempora et mores. I’m better behaved now, and leave the mockery at work.

Of course, “uncommon sense” works on several levels of irony, as well. Great name.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Not since the War Between The States.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Well, we’re looking at another “war between the states” if you ask me. (“You say you want a rev-ol-u-tion, well, ya know…”)

Though, I guess they come in colors.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Will do. I can even buy a new one, if necessary. Thanks…again. :)

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Suck on this, Odumbo!!

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Well, we’re looking at another “war between the states” if you ask me.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I have never seen it this bad in this country. The polarization, the anger. I’ve even asked old-timers and they agree, it’s gotten really bad.

Nice RS pull btw, obscure.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Yes. I’m just going to stick with the demon-possessed theory for now.

Enough of my computer problems, someone spin another tune!

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Well… here’s a devil song

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Sure, any time.

Just remember to check all of its “ports” for matches to what you have. If you’re running XP or Windows7 it should see almost anything you plug into it.

It’d certainly narrow the problem down, a bit.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Thanks, I have a habit of making “things” work on several levels. Though this one is probably most obvious. :)

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Isn’t it weird how life slams in waves like that?

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM

It is weird. I try to laugh about that stuff when possible because getting angry or bummed…doesn’t change a thing. Gotta have a sense of humor.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM

In honor of your home state

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:33 AM

If you’ll forgive this socialist tune, I feel it could bolster our efforts going forward.

(PS–He’s such a socialist, and I’m a totally hetero-male-capitalist–I just love the guy’s music and lyrics.)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Again, it’s a “separate” mouse, NOT THE PAD, right?

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Correct

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM

This seems appropriate for tonight.

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Correct

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Yes, darlin’. Plug another mouse into it, and see if the behavior changes. (My guess is, it will. ‘Cause I think you’ve got a dirty mouse. (Happens to the best of us.))

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:44 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Not since the War Between The States.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Very much a Tenther (Amendment) here. Wars, especially Civil Wars, have a way of creating exigencies that become permanent distortions of the original idea. The Late Unpleasantness gave us unprecedented consolidation of federal power, the income tax, greenbacks, systematic detention without trial… could go on.

Still, wonder how we’d have managed WWI and WWII without national federal conscription, as opposed to the separate states raising volunteer armies, then mustering them into federal service as was done in the Civil War.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Well… here’s a devil song…

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM

That was good stuff. Talented.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:46 AM

You guys are KILLIN’ me with tunes!! (Lol)

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:43 AM
Absolutely love it.

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Absolutely love it.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM
Great tune.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:50 AM

So, last time I stayed up late on this thread it was to watch the SpaceX Falcon launch that Dark Current brought to our attention. (And has the Dragon docked with the space station yet?)

Now I’m staying up to see if it was a dirty mouse… 4Grace?

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM

The polarization,

Intentional by Obama. Check what page in the Alinsky handbook that his handler Vallerie is coaching, wirh scoldings in Farsi. She is of “Iranian Descent” you know.

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM

In honor of your home state

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Now you’re talking. I’m partial to THIS ONE.

And also THIS ONE.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:52 AM

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Lol. Yeah, me too.
Fact is, we really need all us old guys to report for duty immediately. It won’t happen, but that’s what’s needed.

“They” need to know that our country runs by its founding document–the Constitution. “They” don’t think it’s all that importamt, at the moment. (“Are you kidding?”) But, “they” don’t really have anything to worry about.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:54 AM

This seems appropriate for tonight.

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Ha. Very appropriate.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:55 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Love those, Grace.
But don’t take nuthin’ from La Grange!

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:57 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Will do. Thanks again.

P.S. Is it wrong that “dirty mouse” makes me laugh? Seriously, never heard that.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:57 AM

The Late Unpleasantness gave us unprecedented consolidation of federal power

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Gee, if I were any more cynical, I’d posit that the North was using slavery as a wedge issue to centralize power. Just to be clear, slavery does not float my libertarian boat. But you are absolutely correct, the excesses of that Reconstruction were an abomination and far exceeded the scope of that war.

Imagine if Lincoln had proposed 20-year limits on slavery, and requisite education and training. It might have taken a generation or two to abolish the practice, but we might have averted the slaughter of hundreds of thousands. In other words, we could have phased it out.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:58 AM

In honor of your home state

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Now you’re talking. I’m partial to THIS ONE.

And also THIS ONE.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:52 AM

We’re supposed to sleep after that? Well, then, this is de rigueur, then.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Again, it’s a “separate” mouse, NOT THE PAD, right?

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Correct

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Put a cat next to it. May scare it straight.

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Will do. Thanks again.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Well, now that you say it, it does sound kinda sexy. (Lol!)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Now I’m staying up to see if it was a dirty mouse… 4Grace?

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM

I know. Seriously, that cracks me up. Maybe I’ll start using the phrase in my daily life. Someone asks me, “How was your day?” I’ll respond, “Man, it was a dirty mouse, but I survived.”

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:01 AM

She is of “Iranian Descent” you know.

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Are you sure? I just thought she was a rodent.

Obama is run by the women surrounding him.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:02 AM

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Even the Founders, when they were wrestling with the problem, knew we’d pay for this…

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

But that’s a topic– one I’m particularly interested in– to revisit another night.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:02 AM

The mouse is bad. The clicker is on the fritz. They make ‘em so cheap now. Don’t waste any more time until you go to Big Lots and buy one for $5. Best to eliminate one variable at a time, from cheapest to pricey.

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:03 AM

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Look at Odumbo. The man needs weeks of polling to aver that he might be in favor, slightly, of something.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:04 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Well, now that you say it, it does sound kinda sexy. (Lol!)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:00 AM

You haven’t seen everyone on this thread smirking all this time? We’ve been phrasing it verrrry carefully.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Now you’re talking. I’m partial to THIS ONE.

And also THIS ONE.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Ah yes! Ok, I must be off (in more ways than one), but I will leave you with this twofer :)

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 4:05 AM

“How was your day?” I’ll respond, “Man, it was a dirty mouse, but I survived.”

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Lol. No way! You say, “RedCrow says it’s a dirty mouse, but I’m fine.”

Lol. Or, I’ll sue yo’ ass.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:06 AM

We’re supposed to sleep after that? Well, then, this is de rigueur, then.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Indeed it is.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:06 AM

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:04 AM

So, you’re saying I’m slow?

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Put a cat next to it. May scare it straight.

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Cane, I was hoping to see you. I wanted to ask if there was any success in finding the missing girl. Did you go out in your boat?

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Hi folks, just a drop-in… I’m too exhausted to think, so my fingers are just randomly typing.

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Well, now that you say it, it does sound kinda sexy. (Lol!)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:00 AM

No, I wasn’t going there, honestly. It just struck me as funny. Don’t know why.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:10 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Brave, yes. Brilliant? Things got very rash. I think we could have phased out the practice without losing so many lives. Look at the regulations we have to deal with these days. They’ve perfected the art of slow-boiling the frog.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:10 AM

So, you’re saying I’m slow?

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:08 AM

I was trying to put it verrrry carefully. You knew exactly what you were saying :)

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Obama is run by the women surrounding him.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Bingo!!

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:11 AM

So, you’re saying I’m slow?

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:08 AM

I think you move pretty fast.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:11 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Hey, yes, 10 hours, about 40 miles on the water with a tiller handle, searching each coulee and ditch and cut along the way. No sign of her. Black fishermen fishing for catfish in the boonies and I saw young girls coming up to them on the riverbank and handing out flyers. Squads of young folks – 10 to 15 bikes at a time, pedlaing all over town. People crawling up in drainage pipes. Our town is heartbroken.

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Are you sure? I just thought she was a rodent.

Obama is run by the women surrounding him.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:02 AM

You can be both Iranian and rodent. But must say that the “real” Iranians that I once knew in the days of the Shah were beautiful, cultured people. “Islam” turned the culture barbaric.

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 4:12 AM

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Hello, cane_loader. That’s how I type all my comments.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:13 AM

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:04 AM

ROFLMAO. Oh, man. I’ll blame it on beer, lack of sleep, and just plain stooopid. :)

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:15 AM

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Yeah, my father used to sell spook stuff to the Shah’s regime. He really liked Iran, but then got out of there quick during the fall. What a stupid loss.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:15 AM

uncommon sense on May 25, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Goodnight, uncommon. Always fun!

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:16 AM

No, I wasn’t going there, honestly. It just struck me as funny. Don’t know why.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Lol. Just messin’ with ya. Lol.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Not sure what other choice he had. The south (even those who knew slavery was wrong) wasn’t going to give them up for cotton.

His brilliance was in the fact that his first priority was to preserve the Union. (He was against slavery, but knew that he had to keep the states together.) When his hand was forced (SC? I’m a bit smashed), he went on with the coming war.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:17 AM

We’ve got 12-year-old girls out in bike gangs looking for Mickey. It brought tears to my eyes seeing them today. We’ve got such a tight, loving community… a big ol’ 150,000-person small town. We look out for each other. Leave the keys in your car, etc. Everyone is looking for Mickey.

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Lol. No way! You say, “RedCrow says it’s a dirty mouse, but I’m fine.”

Lol. Or, I’ll sue yo’ ass.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Oh my gosh, I’m laughing so hard. OK, OK. I’ll no longer mention the…um…unwashed computer accessory. :)

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Goodnight, RedCrow.

P.S. I’m telling angrymike this was all your doing.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:02 AM

I’d never heard that quote.
Very interesting.
Does that mean that Jefferson was not the poster child for “separation of church and state”?

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:23 AM

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Night, Grace.
(No way…I got dibs!)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:23 AM

It’s late/early…. have insomnia.. need to try to get some sleep. Too darn hot in the house, and have no A/C [- :(

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Final thought, and I’ve got to turn in:

<blockquote

>It’s why I find Lincoln so brilliant and brave, and so many others find him to be stupid and a coward.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:04 AM

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Slavery had been a festering wound for four score and seven years, since the Republic’s founding. The Founders thought it might die out. And it might have, but for the invention of the cotton gin. Unexpected.

Now here we are after roughly a century of determined Progressivism and an earlier half-century of unintended but equally damaging alterations of our constitutional system. Will we be able to get back even halfway closer to where we started by phasing out all that’s been changed? Or will things have to get rash?

Lincoln’s Secretary of State Seward described the impending war as “the irrepressible conflict.” I think the die was cast by the time Lincoln took office (it was his election that actually triggered the secessions of the southern states). Are we facing our own irrepressible conflict? As someone said upthread, it’s gotten really polarized out there…

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:25 AM

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:11 AM

That is a very sad story. :(

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:26 AM

That is a very sad story. :(

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Everyone feels so helpless. Painful for me because I know her sister and just to see her on TV so heartbroken…. that was her little sis and best pal

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:27 AM

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Quit playin’ like it’s hot.
It’s totally cool, where you live.
A bit chilly, in fact.
You’re gonna have to snuggle under the covers when you go back to bed, I bet.
(How’s that doin’?)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:17 AM

I’m just suggesting that had he been more apt for negotiation, and had taken a generation or two to phase out slavery, more lives would have been saved, and if mandatory education and training of slaves had been accepted, blacks would have been better prepared for the eventual emancipation.

Everything was just so… abrupt.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Everyone is looking for Mickey.

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:19 AM

I pray she is found, and soon.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM

We’re right off I-10 and she could be in California or Mexico by now. There are billboards going up in Texas. Worse, there’s a carnival in town, so lots of different transient faces. The timing couldn’t be worse.

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Quit playin’ like it’s hot.
It’s totally cool, where you live.
A bit chilly, in fact.
You’re gonna have to snuggle under the covers when you go back to bed, I bet.
(How’s that doin’?)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM

heheh… hypnotist at work!! lol

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:30 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Maybe it’ll turn up, but I just wrote at length about that. I think the die was cast when Lincoln took office (his election had already caused the southern states to secede). His Secretary of State Seward had years before characterized the impending situation as “the irrepressible conflict.”

We’ve been under determined Progressivists for about 100 years, another 50 for the alterations in our constitutional system wrought by civil war. Longer than the Republic had been afflicted with slavery. Do you think we’ll be able to “phase out” these things to get back to the original system? Or will something more rash be required?

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Oof–I’m sorry.
Please disregard my previous jovial post.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM

I pray she is found, and soon.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM

The organization searching for Caylee Anthony just showed up to run the operation. FBI’s here…. the search is going large. But most of us think she’s far away by now… maybe even on a boat to China.

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM