Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on May 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday denounced as “unjust and unwarranted” the treatment of a Pakistani doctor who was jailed for 33 years for helping in the hunt for Osama bin Laden…

The chief US diplomat said Afridi’s role “was instrumental in taking down one of the world’s most wanted murderers. That was clearly in Pakistan’s interest, as well as ours and the rest of the world’s.”…

Her remarks were stronger than those given Wednesday by State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland who said Pakistan had “no basis for Dr. Afridi to be held.”

***

Two Senate committees today took the first legislative steps to cut aid to Pakistan after that country’s conviction of Dr. Shakil Afridi, who aided American intelligence in its mission to kill Osama bin Laden…

The Senate Appropriations Committee cut Pakistan’s assistance by the symbolic amount of $33 million – $1 million for each year Afridi’s sentence

The committee approved the amendment, offered by Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., by a unanimous 30-0 vote. The funds would continue to be withheld until Afridi gets released from prison and cleared of all charges relating to his assistance in locating bin Laden.

***

“He was not and is not a spy for our country. This was not a crime against Pakistan. It was an effort and locate and help bring to justice the world’s No. 1 terrorist,” [Feinstein] said. “This conviction says to be that al Qaeda is viewed by the court to be Pakistan … I don’t know which side of the war Pakistan is on.”…

“It is Alice in Wonderland, at best, but it is outrageous in itself. If this is cooperation, I would hate like heck to see opposition,” Leahy said…

“Pakistan is a schizophrenic at best ally,” Graham said as he introduced the amendment to cut funding over the Afridi situation. “They are helping the Haqqani network … which is basically a mob trying to take over parts of Afghanistan. And the ISI constantly provides assistance in Quetta on the Pakistani side of the border.”

“The situation with the doctor is a classic example of not understanding the world the way it is,” Graham said. “We need Pakistan, but we don’t need a Pakistan that cannot see the justice in bringing bin Laden to an end.”

***

Former U.S. intelligence officers accused the Obama administration of dropping the ball on the case of the Pakistani doctor sentenced to 33 years in prison for helping find Usama bin Laden — with one openly challenging the State Department’s claim that it pressed his case “regularly” with Islamabad…

Peter Brookes, a former analyst and adviser with several intelligence agencies who is now a senior fellow with the Heritage Foundation, told Fox News on Thursday that the U.S. should have had a plan to get him out of Pakistan immediately following the raid…

“From what I’m hearing, we did pretty much nothing,” [former military intelligence officer Lt. Col. Tony Shaffer] said. “We did nothing diplomatically at all, didn’t raise a finger. … From what my sources tell me, we did nothing to try and help this guy.”

He and Brookes expressed concern that Afridi’s plight could make it more difficult to convince foreign sources to work with U.S. intelligence on counterterror missions in the future.

***

Pakistan’s clear message to the U.S.: don’t violate our sovereignty. Its message to its own citizens: don’t even think about cooperating with the CIA. To ensure that Afridi would be found guilty and sentenced harshly, Islamabad arranged to have him tried in a government court presided over by a tribal political agent in consultation with a council of elders under the 19th-century Frontier Crimes Regulations that were drawn up by the British colonial power at the time. Under the FCR, the court is not subject to the Pakistani constitution, and its sentences are usually harsher than those handed down by the mainstream Pakistani court system. Nor can the sentences of tribal courts be appealed in normal Pakistani courts. Once sentenced, Afridi was transferred immediately out of the Khyber tribal agency and thrown into the Central Prison in Peshawar.

The government insists it will ensure his safety. But many Pakistanis are not so sure. In the court of public opinion, he is seen as a traitor. Not surprisingly, the Pakistani Taliban praised the sentence. “In my heart I wanted to kiss feet of the political agent for punishing Shakil with a lifelong prison term,” Janfida Wazir, a Pakistani Taliban commander from the South Waziristan tribal agency, tells The Daily Beast. “Our mujahideen, Sheik Osama’s family, and I are very happy with the great judgment of the political agent.”

Wazir also says militants are determined to kidnap or kill Afridi if they get the chance. “Shakil is a dead man already,” he says. “The government can’t build a separate jail for him.” Afghans and Pakistanis who are cooperating with the U.S. eventually will meet Afridi’s fate and be abandoned by the U.S., adds Wazir. “What happened to Afridi is a good lesson for those puppets of the U.S. in Afghanistan and Pakistan,” he says. “They will be thrown away like rubbish after the U.S. has achieved its goals.”

***

Shakil Afridi, the Pakistani doctor who helped the CIA collect data that led to the killing of Osama bin Laden, was convicted of high treason today and sentenced to 33 years in prison. Given the severity of the sentence, it’s worth considering a few of the people who the Pakistani justice system has not seen fit to put behind bars:

Hafiz Saeed

The head of a banned charity widely believed to be a front for the international terrorist group Lashkar-e-Taiba is wanted by both India and the United States for his alleged role in orchestrated the 2008 Mumbai attacks. The Lahore High Court dropped all charges against Saeed in 2009. Last month, the U.S. offered a $10 million reward for information leading to Saeed’s arrest, which raised some eyebrows since he’s not in hiding. Saeed held a press conference inviting U.S. authorities to come and get him.

Abdul Qadeer Khan

Despite having admitted to selling nuclear secrets to North Korea, Iran, and Libya, A.Q. Khan was freed from house arrest in 2009. The father of Pakistan’s nuclear program has been officially pardoned and is now immune from further prosecution.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Goodnight, all. See you soon.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Please disregard my previous jovial post.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Maybe your hypnotism will work! Think cool -think cool… I’ve got to get A/C up and running this week! Had a big house fire in Nov. and never got the A/C back up yet. Summer’s about here on the bayou….

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Goodnight, all. See you soon.

4Grace on May 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM

If the bedbugs bite, bite back! ;-)

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Wow, it’s way late…. I shall skedaddle as well… by dawn maybe it will be cool enough to sleep!

Good night, y’all

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:35 AM

For some reason, my comments are going into moderation now. Two addressing the RedCrow and John the Libertarian discussion on Lincoln acting rashly. I think he had no choice, he both precipitated (by his election) and understood that it was the moment of crisis. Well another time.

Good night, all.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Everything was just so… abrupt.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Not sure I agree with you. And, I’m going to give you the lame “bandaid excuse”.

Sure I don’t have to expound, but (was I right about SC) once he received word of secession (also, I think that there was fighting on a fort (Sumpter?), he only had one choice.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Everything was just so… abrupt.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Sure I don’t have to expound, but (was I right about SC) once he received word of sece55ion (also, I think that there was fighting on a fort (Sumpter?), he only had one choice.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:39 AM

sece55ion

This was the word that delayed my comment. Silly.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Good night, all.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:36 AM

And you could very well be right, de rigueur. I’m just speculating, I wasn’t there. Easy for me to go back in time and drive from the passenger’s seat. But I just think we might have avoided all that bloodshed.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:40 AM

cane_loader on May 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Boy, I’m sorry for your troubles.
But, do think positively, and positive stuff will happen.
(I’m positive.) (…My mom told me so, if you must know.)

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:42 AM

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Well, I’m being silly in the sense of the revisionist camp. It is what it is. A century and a half later, we’re privvy to negotiating tactics that probably made no sense back then. But I will certainly agree with you that Lincoln was brave. He killed vampires, too. Did you know?

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:43 AM

Okay, I wish you all a good night.

And, cane_loader, I hope your people find Mickey.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Well, THAT’S why my posts got eaten. I kept using the sece55ion word.

Point I was trying to make was, slavery had been a festering wound in the Republic for four score and seven years when Lincoln took office. His election caused the southern states to see-seed before he even took office. He was out of time to phase out anything. The rashness had already begun. He had to respond to it.

The larger question for us is, we’ve had 100 years of determined Progressivism which has altered every aspect of our system of government, plus the unintended but equally damaging alternations wrought by the war between the states. How much chance do you think we have of “phasing out” all that’s been done? Or shall we, too, be forced into rashness?

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM

He killed vampires, too. Did you know?

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 4:43 AM

Of course. I saw him on the intra-webs!

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Just caught up on your situation, cane_loader. So sorry and hope there’s still hope.

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:52 AM

de rigueur on May 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM

We’ve conversed a bit on here for a while, and I have absoulutely NO POWER at this blog whatsoever……

That whole comment should be expounded upon. I think you’re absolutely correct in the first paragraph. And, the second is pretty damning, if you ask me.

RedCrow on May 25, 2012 at 4:52 AM

This raises the question (on top of already perceived doubts)

Can the USA, under the Obama administration, attract necessary and vital information from key people around the world when their safety is just a casual throwaway for a politician’s votes? Is our intelligence not handicapped because of this incompetence?

Don L on May 25, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Obama will not be reelected. The nightmare will be over in a few months. Hang tight

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Kenny,

What is the best book by Swift? I like dark humor but not sure about eating kids dark humor. I try to keep an open mind about eattig kids but it’s tough and so are they.

Dr. Tesla on May 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Gulliver’s Travels is a classic satire on the British Empire

kenny on May 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Let’s play a game…who can figure out which one is the other’s sock?

Maybe THIS will help…

Let me give you an example. I see folks beating the H out of Doc Tesla, even though his general attitude seems conservative. With full knowledge that this will not be popular, my observation is the man is very bright. His ability to parry and use syllogism when outnumbered is fairly adroit. He certainly stimulates blood flow and that is the purpose of debate. Management here are very wise to allow the man to participate.

kenny on May 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 25, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Good Friday Morning to you all!

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM

with friends like these….

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Well, you certainly told them Madame Secretary. I’m sure you left them cowering in fear – while rolling on the floor with laughter at the picture released of your husband in Monaco.

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:02 AM

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Good morning. Another day closer. ;-)

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Good Friday Morning to you all!

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM

cmsinaz:Good Morning H/A Crew,TGIF:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Good morning. Another day closer. ;-)

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Flora Duh:As in, America Held Hostage?!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:06 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Good morning. This is a surprise, we don’t see you around her at this time very often.

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Flora Duh:As in, America Held Hostage?!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:06 AM

You got it my friend.

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM

yepper :)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM

great crew!

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:10 AM

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:10 AM

So what’s the Moaning Joe gang blathering about this morning?

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Strange,after a few months,MSLSD Linky is glitcheroo-free!

OnLine Streaming!MSNBC

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:13 AM

So what’s the Moaning Joe gang blathering about this morning?

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Flora Duh:This!:)
==================

Obama’s Bogus War on Bain
May 25 2012
***********

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:19 AM

boy is donnie deutsch a true lap dog for dear leader on morning joe…

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:22 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:13 AM

trying to tap dance between evil mitt and private equity….so it’s going to be about values? seriously? anything to talk about that doesn’t talk about dear leader’s record is the theme of this campaign

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:24 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Flora Duh:

Thats true,the dirty little secret is,I round up the latest news goodies,and flood AP/ED’s E-Mail,before 6!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Good morning all. What a great day! School is almost out for some and one is graduating today!

txmomof6 on May 25, 2012 at 7:26 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:19 AM

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Looks like things are starting to get really stinky.

On campaign trail, Team Obama is slinging bull

President Obama and spokesman Jay Carney are using increasingly pungent language to express their disdain for the positions of Mitt Romney and the Republicans party. On Thursday, the president referred to part of a Romney speech as a “cow pie,” while the day before Carney called a Republican position on the debt “BS.”

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:25 AM

heh

txmomof6 on May 25, 2012 at 7:26 AM

congrats on little tx

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM

txmomof6 on May 25, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Congratulations to the Graduate!

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:24 AM

cmsinaz:Heres a private Equity article,I sent in!:)

Obama’s campaign manager huddles with Senate Democrats
******************************************************

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM

and it’s going to get worse

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:06 AM
You got it my friend.

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Flora Duh:Ripp’d it from the Rush Show!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM

txmomof6 on May 25, 2012 at 7:26 AM

txmomof6:*Woot-Woot….Excellent*,time to play Alice Coopers
Schools Out!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM

dear leader doesn’t give a crap about the senate dems for 2 years and now he’s got his cronies schmoozing with them…they’re idiots imho…i would be a little peeved if dear leader doesn’t give me the time of day but NOW he wants us to toe the party line to get him re-elected and maybe the monies will trickle down to them…

idiots…

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Excellent*,time to play Alice Coopers
Schools Out!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

I played that for my granddaughter yesterday as it was her last day of school for the 3rd grade.

Brought back memories of my last day of high school, when I did donuts on the front lawn of the school while Alice blasted from the radio.

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM

On campaign trail, Team Obama is slinging bull

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Flora Duh:

Send it in to tips,and i’m not surprised.
And,those Jack*ss’s sure do love to sling their
Donkey Poo!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Florah Duh:

Very cool,introducing it to your granddaughter,I too remember
hearing it,on the last school day,I can’t remember,grade 4,or 5!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM
———————————–

idiots…

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

cmsinaz:

Yup,I agree,I tell you,every time I hear a sound bite on the radio,
(news spot)about jobs,I tend to yell at the radio,”Idiot ya had 4
years”!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:50 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Florah Duh:

Very cool,introducing it to your granddaughter,I too remember
hearing it,on the last school day,I can’t remember,grade 4,or 5!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Thanks all for the well wishes! That song always plays in my head at the end of school, and I always sing the first few words on the last pickup of the last school day!
A great part about having a graduate today is I am sending another one off to a swing state in the Fall. Woo Hoo, I’ll have one in Ohio and one in Colorado.

txmomof6 on May 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Mornin’, y’all. Is it safe to post? Is Tesla still in bed?

kingsjester on May 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I tend to yell at the radio,”Idiot ya had 4
years”!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:50 AM

exactamundo!!!

mr cmsinaz just shakes his head when i do :)

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:53 AM

congrats on little tx

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Thanks! So excited! :)

txmomof6 on May 25, 2012 at 7:53 AM

kingsjester on May 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

morning KJ, all is quiet

cmsinaz on May 25, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I linked this earlier for the over-night crowd, but if any of you morning people are interested, SpaceX Dragon is on final approach to the International Space Station.

Livestream video here

It’s close enough for a pretty good view now.

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Mornin’, y’all. Is it safe to post? Is Tesla still in bed?

kingsjester on May 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Morning KJ. Safe so far. When I went to bed last night there were 13 comments on this thread. When I woke up this morning there were over 630. Without even looking I just knew that he had struck again.

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Mornin’, y’all. Is it safe to post? Is Tesla still in bed?

kingsjester on May 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

kingsjester:Lol,the good doctor is a S,E.Cupp Expert doncha know!
(sarc).

Oh,Good Morning as well,back at ya!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Livestream video here.

It’s close enough for a pretty good view now.

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Dark Current:Excellent,thanks for the linky,I noticed that!:)
=============================================================

SpaceX Dragon capsule set to dock with the International Space Station around 11am EST – @NBCNewsStory metadata:
Submitted 20 mins ago by editor

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Good morning all. Congrats txmomof6 and anyone else excited about the last days of school and the first days of summer. I watched grandbaby three times this week and I still have plants in flats to go in the ground today. So, I’m a happy camper. Babies and dirt are two of my favorite things to play with…

Fallon on May 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Fallon on May 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Morning Fallon. Enjoy your day wallowing in the dirt. :-)

Flora Duh on May 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

The intelligence officer who bashes the Obama administration nows works for the right wing Heritage Foundation ,oh i’m sure he is unbiased in his opinions . Hot Air ,THE GOP ,and various right wingers gave no credit to the Obama administration when Chen was allowed to leave China rather quickly. In fact it is obvious you were hoping China wouldn’t keep their bargain so you could create right wing hysteria . So now you want to try kick it up the hysteria over this issue . It is an unfair world and we are stuck with a Pakistan that is an enemy /friend and no politician has the perfect solution of how to deal with it .

U2denver on May 25, 2012 at 8:41 AM

U2denver on May 25, 2012 at 8:41 AM

You missed all the fun. Too bad you are in the mode of drop and run. It won’t do any good. You are wasting your effort. Concentrate on bringing it when someone is paying attention.

Bmore on May 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM

lovingmyUSA on May 25, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Nice job. ; )

Bmore on May 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Submitted 20 mins ago by editor

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Once it reaches 30 minutes and they get the GO call the station will reach out and grab it with Canadarm2. This thing is really cool because it can move itself all over the station like and inchworm.

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Once it reaches 30 minutes meters

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM
————————————

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM

DarkCurrent:Again,thanks for the Streaming NASA Linky,
and I watched it,time of grab,8:56,and our
Canadian Arm,yup,i felt a tad proud,to see
CANADA,in space,have “A” great day DC!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Fallon on May 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Fallon:You remind me of my grandfather,waaaaay back when,planting,
and with the grand-children,you too have a great day!:)

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM
———————————–

txmomof6 on May 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

txmomof6:

Congrats,and be proud,and I always liked this tune as well!:)

Supertramp/School (1974)
***********************

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Heh, talk about Karma, I see OBL’s pic on the Quote of the Day, with 666 comments.
Just had to look.

askwhatif on May 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM

But I’ll tell you what. Obama ran on an isolationist ideology

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM

John, put the bong down.

Whatever Obama ran on in ’8, it sure as hell wasn’t isolationism.

Or did I miss the part where he called for the dismantling of the United Nations?

JohnGalt23 on May 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

canopfor on May 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM

You were 666. Is that like the third time that has happened. ; )

Bmore on May 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

lovingmyUSA on May 25, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Nice job. ; )

Bmore on May 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Well, you led the charge…I brought up the rear…

lovingmyUSA on May 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how poorly Obama finishes.

thatsafactjack on July 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I f***in hope youre right!
(BTW, WTF happened!?! All of a sudden, I’m way behind!)

RedCrow on July 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM