Poll: Bogus ancestry claims not hurting Elizabeth Warren much in Massachusetts

posted at 1:21 pm on May 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

Maybe they bought the spin that she’s a “mythical Indian”?

Nah, just kidding. There’s no mystery about these results. As noted last week, if they can forgive Teddy for leaving a woman to drown, they can forgive Spouting Bull anything.

“In both the February and May polls, Brown has fallen short of the coveted 50 percent mark for an incumbent, while Elizabeth Warren has converted some undecided voters since February,” said David Paleologos, director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center in Boston. “This leaves both campaigns no choice but to spend tens of millions of dollars in an all-out war to woo the five percent of voters who will decide this election.”

Seventy-two percent of likely voters were aware of the recent controversy concerning Elizabeth Warren’s heritage. Of those, 49 percent said Warren was telling the truth about being part Native American; 28 percent said she was not telling the truth; and 23 percent weren’t sure. Meanwhile, 41 percent said they believed that Elizabeth Warren benefited by listing herself as a minority, while 45 percent said she did not benefit. Sixty-nine percent of likely voters said that Warren’s Native American heritage listing is not a significant story, while 27 percent said that it is…

Brown’s popularity (58 percent favorable) moved up six points from February (52 percent favorable), while his unfavorable rating remained the same at 28 percent. Warren gained 8 points on her favorable rating (43 percent) since February, when it was 35 percent, but she also tacked 5 points onto her unfavorable rating, which is now 33 percent unfavorable, as opposed to 28 percent in February.

She’s actually gaining in popularity and now trails Brown overall by just a single point. That’s not to say the Cherokee nonsense hasn’t hurt her — 27 percent say that it’s significant — but no doubt the vast majority of those who have a problem with it are already committed Brown supporters/Warren opponents. In fact, for all the fun we’ve had with the story online and all the coverage in the Boston Herald, just 72 percent of respondents have heard about it. By comparison, 80 percent are aware of the story about Romney forcing a haircut on his classmate 50 years ago. (Of those, 46 percent say it makes him a “bully” versus 40 percent who say it doesn’t.)

But here’s the cruelest cut of all:

You can look at that two ways, I guess. One: In Massachusetts, the typical split on Democratic/Republican credibility is probably vastly wider. Two: Really? A woman who evidently lifted recipes for a fake-Indian cookbook and whose strongest claim to Cherokee ancestry is “high cheekbones” is more trustworthy than Scott Brown? Dude?

The silver lining is that this might not yet be over. William Jacobson, who’s been in the lead on this story for weeks, hinted a few days ago that “There are other shoes to drop. I wish I could tell you more, but I can’t. It’s just a matter of when.” Stay tuned.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I still think the ideal anti-Warren ad would be various pictures of the Occupiers together with her claim to be the intellectual foundation.

malclave on May 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I believe this will have an effect on her campaign in Massachusetts, especially as more and more people become aware of the circumstances.
Trochilus on May 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the people here are nucking futz…I just had an hour long “discussion” with my neighbor who believes all the OWS arrests are a result of Koch Bros plants…He justified Warrens dishonesty with a casual, “They all do it!”

The liberals here can and will justify any and all bad behavior by their leaders as nothing more than the result of a Right Wing conspiracy…

Ciannaky on May 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM

beancounter on May 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Thanks for your observations. For most of the rest of us, Massachusetts by now is like a foreign country. Your political life there as a conservative might bring to mind parallels with dissidents in the USSR or blacks living under Jim Crow: keeping your nose clean and your mouth shut…

spiritof61 on May 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Warren in the Senate is a prospect that makes me imeasureably happy.

libfreeordie on May 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM

This is massachusetts. this isn’t some sensible normal place where the rules of logic apply. this is the sickest most twisted bastion of liberalism in the union. The number of liberal morons in Massachusetts is about 2 to every reasonably sane person in the Commonwealth. Odds of Scott Brown holding his seat are about 40%, which is better than the 10% I’d have given him before the Elizabeth Warren fiasco, but still, unless turnout is low, Obama and Warren will take the state fairly handily.

WashingtonsWake on May 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Uh, that’s because being a pathological liar is a prerequisite for being a successful democrat candidate – democrat voters are a stupid lot – they just don’t get the connection between a candidate’s history and how that candidate performs after being elected.

Pork-Chop on May 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Of course it’s not hurting her. Democrats expect their politicians to lie.

ProfessorMiao on May 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM

spiritof61 on May 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM

This is massachusetts…the sickest most twisted bastion of liberalism in the union.

WashingtonsWake on May 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Maybe now I feel a little bit better about living in Oregon.

PortlandJon on May 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Wow, the source they quote has a rather august name.

Tzetzes on May 24, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Every liberal’s life is defined by lies. They were all slaughtered by Cortez the Killer. They empathize with Squaw Warren.

jan3 on May 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Forward, Lemmings!

Ward Cleaver on May 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM

spiritof61 on May 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM

It’s not nearly that bad. While I have lost a handful of clients when I spouted my views I’ve faced nothing compared to what you mention. Plus those clients I lost were high-maintenance & sucked! :D

Ironically my largest client, despite being a die-hard liberal, retains me specifically because I’m conservative with finance. She doesn’t trust herself to handle her business’ finances but she does trust me & my peeps… And yet she’s still proudly liberal. I’m having some success in slowly converting her.

On the other hand I do self-censor myself often, particularly when meeting new potential clients. I’m uncomfortable with that. Part of me thinks that’s legitimate self-interest. Another part of me thinks that’s political cowardice. Dunno…

beancounter on May 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM

beancounter on May 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM

It’s generally better not to mix business with politics. At least I don’t with my clients and employers/colleagues.

dogsoldier on May 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM

As I predicted several times. To a state that re-elected Ted Kennedy after Chappaquiddick (a R$AL Indian name coincidentally), mere lying, misrepresentation and plagiarism are yawn stuff.

MaiDee on May 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Liberalism is a progressive mental disorder ending in insanity. Massachusetts is the poster child for liberalism. Kerry, Kennedy and Franks are just a sample of the lunacy that have been elected to lead them into liberal reality it has become. I realize that Romney was governor there, but he is in a presidential race where hopefully the lesser of two evils will surely win. Hard to imagine a sane mind who would actually want four more years of the lies and deceptions that have led us to utter economic futility.

volsense on May 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Paleface Squaw Woman lies like cheap Indian rug.

LizardLips on May 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM

“Mythical Indian” problem for Warren in Massachusetts?

Hardy, don’t you recall the ruse used by the colonials called the “Boston Tea Party”? Those Nor’easterners are all related to native americans, some how.

socalcon on May 24, 2012 at 6:42 PM

John Sivolella, a new conservative blogger at Boston Magazine has accurately made the following salient point about the results of the poll:

The results of a recent Rasmussen poll have been portrayed (and then parroted) as showing that the Cherokee affair hasn’t yet had an impact on Warren because she remains tied with Brown at 45 percent. This doesn’t tell the whole story, of course, since it leaves out the critical fact that Warren had just embarked on a major, very expensive media buy featuring none other than the President himself. By showing her Obama cards so early, Warren must have hoped for a boost in the polls, perhaps trying to put 5-7 points of daylight between her and Brown. Instead, she’s spent a lot of campaign cash but remains in a dead heat. And the Cherokee affair lives on. This has to trouble her supporters.

Trochilus on May 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I don’t think it’s a matter of forgiveness for progressives. Members of the ruling elite, the Nomenklatura, the Party Members, are entitled to things commoners are not. It’s all for the greater good of the collective. A few lies, some plagiarism, a dead girl, whatever.

And besides, progressives have no morals anyway – it’s essential to the pogrom program.

forest on May 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

. . . .

beancounter on May 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Keeping your powder dry has never been cowardice. I think the part of you that sees that as “legitimate self-interest” is 100% correct. In many circumstances, it is just common sense.

Look, the fact is that many people, including lots of liberals these days, are always “on.” You are not misrepresenting yourself; you are just minimizing the risk of them making a bad judgment about your professionalism. I am sure that you believe (and quite accurately) that your political leanings are simply not a matter of significance, when viewed in the context of your capacity for professionalism in dealing with them as clients. If they ask you, then fine. But if it is not relevant, don’t bring it up!

Why would you ever be tempted to give someone else any “ammunition” with which they might well make a prejudicial and erroneous judgment about your level of professionalism?

You are the professional. They are coming to you.

Trochilus on May 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Lets figure out why. MA – mostly white, high income, far left ideologiocy.

BobMbx on May 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM

fixed

cableguy615 on May 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Poll: Bogus ancestry claims not hurting Elizabeth Warren much in Massachusetts

Yeah yeah. Wait for it.

minnesoter on May 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Family Lore = Using minority status for her own advantage.

What I don’t understand is why is Massachusetts running Elizabeth Warren who isn’t a politician in the first place to the United States Senate. This is the best democrats in Massachusetts can dig up? Warren is their best qualified? It’s sad and pathetic.

Dr Evil on May 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM

You really do have to find it amusing that a Professor of Law, at arguably the most prestigious law school in the country, persists to this day in pleading ignorance about both the law and the facts regarding the specific circumstances related to her own status at said University, over a period of several years, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding!

Trochilus on May 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM