Oh my: Walker 54, Barrett 42 in Wisconsin

posted at 4:41 pm on May 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

This is from We Ask America, the same pollster that recently had Walker by nine, which was already the biggest margin of any recent recall poll. Now they’re topped it. The little Eeyore on my shoulder is whispering “outlier” — and yet, they’re using likely voters and an enormous sample, which means their margin of error is smaller than any of their competitors.

Is this happening?

If Scott Walker actually wins public-employee households, I’ll need to drop Humpbot and come up with a new, even sexier victory mascot to fully capture the jubilation. Over at the NYT decision desk, Nate Silver is about ready to make a call:

Mr. Walker leads his Democratic opponent, Mayor Tom Barrett of Milwaukee, by an average of six percentage points in those polls and has not trailed in any poll since February.

Some polls issued by Democratic-affiliated groups have shown a somewhat tighter race, with Mr. Barrett trailing by about three percentage points instead. Partisan-affiliated polls have a long track record of somewhat exaggerating their candidate’s standing, however, and it may be telling that even these polls do not show Mr. Barrett ahead.

In a typical November election, a 6-point lead with two weeks to go would translate into a high probability of winning — roughly on the order of 90 percent, based on the historical accuracy of polls of governors’ races.

The dynamics of a recall election may be slightly more uncertain. But with high turnout expected, which tends to make polling more reliable, Mr. Barrett would most likely need a last-minute change in momentum to have much of a chance of prevailing.

Like me, he’s not fully sure what accounts for Walker’s staying power. The collective bargaining law appears to be a minor asset at best and possibly even a tiny liability at worst, but the magical combination of incumbency, massive campaign spending, a contentious Democratic primary, and recall fatigue among Wisconsinites has us rocketing towards a waterloo for big labor. And … maybe more?

In other Wisconsin news, Tom Barrett’s own pollster says this one is going down to the wire. I’m skeptical, but beware: Even We Ask America, the most bullish pollster of all, cautions that “A massive, well-organized GOTV program by Barrett’s supporters combined with enough of Walker’s supporters staying home can change everything.” Buy champagne, but only on the way home from voting.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

In possibly related news: Pudding futures are spiking.

Cicero43 on May 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I have to come up with a really good “U Mad Bro?” video to post. Hell, I may just watch PMSNBC to see the results.

Sekhmet on May 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Walker/Romney 2012!!

gatorboy on May 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM

And boom goes the dynamite…

nextgen_repub on May 24, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Got my ballot in the mail just now. It’s filled out and ready to go back to WI. Gonna have hubby do his when he gets home tonight. We only have the Gov and Lt Gov for our district. Our votes count for Waukesha County.

Brat4life on May 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Absolutely awesome news.

There is going to be an EPIC meltdown on the left when Walker wins.

cat_owner on May 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Scott Walker is going to be a great assest if he wins in a mandate. Romney will be shoulder to shoulder with him to win the state back. This is great news. Frankly, I think the unions did conservatives a HUGE favor by pushing this.

rubberneck on May 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I’ve been saying it for months.

Walker. Will. Win.

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

It’s a trap to get Walker supporters to stay home…

RedSoxNation on May 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I love the smell of “winning” in mid-afternoon.

Time for a celebratory cocktail? Why not!

Typicalwhitewoman on May 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

The Dems overplayed their hand.
They took too many bites at the apple and now they are gonna’ get humiliated as in front of the whole country.

This is going to cost them.

NeoKong on May 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

One more thing…a Walker victory reminds me of a Scott Brown victory. The conservative message is still resonating in democratic strong holds. Winning!

rubberneck on May 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I don’t like that Waterloo video, I remember it being up numerous times when Obamacare looked like it was going to die in Congress and we know how that turned out.

NoDonkey on May 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

new, even sexier victory mascot to fully capture the jubilation

I can hump things? Oh, ‘sexier’ might be a problem.

MechanicalBill on May 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

In possibly related news: Pudding futures are spiking.

Cicero43 on May 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM

It has been a while…

… hasn’t it?

Seven Percent Solution on May 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

It’s a trap to get Walker supporters to stay home…

RedSoxNation on May 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

If it’s a trap, it’s a imbecilic trap, human nature is not to stay home when you team is winning, it’s to stay home when your team is losing.

SWalker on May 24, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Forget the humpbot. Is it me or are the Romney v. Obama Wisc. poll trendlines starting to look like a big schlong?

pat buchanatar on May 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM

But…but democrats internal polling…. Ha.

cynccook on May 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

When is the election?

Why can’t this be Romney 54, Obama 42?

Oil Can on May 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I’ve been saying it for months.

Walker. Will. Win.

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Ah say, bruthas! Can ah get an A-MEN?!

gryphon202 on May 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Better dust off The World’s Smallest Violin for the Dem’s on this one. I will defiantly be watching MSNBC that night, wonder if Chrissy Mathews will be crying about the results live from Istanbul…

1984 in real life on May 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Beware of the confidence, you must go out and vote

Conservative4ev on May 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Alphapundit…what accounts for Walker having a lead in the polls? Being right on the issue and having the backbone to stay the course is why. Even these days Americans like people who are right.

Anymore questions Eeyore?

DVPTexFla on May 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM

In possibly related news: Pudding futures are spiking.

Cicero43 on May 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM

So glad I didn’t do any day trading in Facebook shares. X-D

gryphon202 on May 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Brat4life and Mr. Brat4life, and all other Wisconsinites,

Thank you for holding the line with your vote, money and volunteering.

We are all proud of you, showing the rest of us how it’s done!
Saving your state and your country.

A grateful Texan!

Typicalwhitewoman on May 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM

The absentee ballot changed too. I think voter id is going to be used for this election. There are all sorts of things on the envelope that has to do with showing id.

Brat4life on May 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Absolutely awesome news.

There is going to be an EPIC meltdown on the left when Walker wins.

cat_owner on May 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I’ll be tuning into MSDNC that night for a preview of November 6.

Doughboy on May 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Green_Bay_Packers on May 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

This comment is about the A-Bomb graphic for this post.
I remember the first time I saw that here. It’s when a poll showed Scott Brown ahead of his opponent Martha Coakley. That was super huge for two reasons. One, just a few weeks before Brown was considered an impossible long shot, it was just unimaginable that he could win, but a few of us started following the story around New Years thinking that maybe he would do the impossible. Two, at the time we thought that if Scott Brown won, Obamacare would be dead.

Maybe that H-Bomb graphic is justified here to tout this Scott Walker poll. I don’t know. But just remember that that graphic has a special value to many of us… use it with discretion, when it really really means something huge.

anotherJoe on May 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Pop goes the weasel ’cause the weasel goes pop!!

MJZZZ on May 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

If Walker demoralizes Democrats with a resounding win, what are the chances Romney doesn’t win Wisconsin.

This will be strike 4 for Democrats in the state (Walker won, Court seat held, Senate held, and Walker’s governership survived). I doubt the DNC and their union cronies will want to pour more money into that state unless they absolutely have to.

milcus on May 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Somebody needs to build a humpbot the size of a house.

CurtZHP on May 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

What’s not to like about Scott Walker if you’re a tax-paying citizen in Wisconsin? He’s done a good job up there, and taken a lot of flak for it. People aren’t stupid. They see that.

Murf76 on May 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

When is the election?

Oil Can on May 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

June 5th.

Betenoire on May 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

…steal the undecided Plus 5 % more…so at least need a 10% margin.

KOOLAID2 on May 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Repub’s need to stay focused and GOTV for Walker. As a life-long Packer fan, all I should need to say is 15-1 to remind Wisconsinites that you don’t win the big prize unless you finish the drill.

NeoDawg on May 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I like the energy, but it ain’t over. The Democratic playbook includes lies, false “bomb” stories dropped days before an election, union intimidation, absentee ballot fraud, and plain ol’ election stealing (“Hey, wait! I just remembered I have a bag of Barret ballots in the trunk of my car!”). Now is the time to redouble the intensity… and the fundraising. A 10-15 point crushing will be impossible for anyone to ignore. A one-point Walker loss will be impossible for anyone to forget.

Zumkopf on May 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Humpbot on the horizon…

cicerone on May 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM

So the unions will GOTV? How? Buy busing in “voters” from other states?

GarandFan on May 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM

If only we could have succeeded here in Ohio against the PEU’s…….

Bitter Clinger on May 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I’ve been seeing more and more “I stand with Walker” signs on front lawns lately. In contrast I’ve only seen a couple cars with bumper stickers to “save Wisconsin- recall Walker”; and to my knowledge, I’ve only seen 2 signs lately on front lawns to “save Wisconsin- recall Walker”.

I know you’re going to call me an Eeyore. But… “don’t count your chickens until they are hatched.” All the pictures of large vans of people being shipped in to get absentee ballots down in Democrat stomping grounds has me a bit concerned; not counting, of course, all the illegal, condemned prisoners, and of course, the “risen from the dead” votes that always show up voting D! I’d LOVE to see this be a Walker blowout. That is actually the only way we’d have a win. A close win by Walker would be contested till the cows come home and after… until finally the W would be over in the D column. But I’m not going to count on it until then.

In fact, (last Eeyore statement I promise), could there be any possibility of the polls being rigged to create such a high comfort level of Walker winning that people would would have voted will stay home? Most of the people I know wouldn’t allow that to happen; however, I can’t help but wonder if that isn’t somehow a devious ploy. Sorry, but when you live in Wisconsin as many years as I have you tend to look all “gift horses in the mouth” and refrain from holding out hope until you see an uncontested W in the R column.

PackerFan4Life on May 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Let’s not pop the corks until we got this nailed down. When the chips are down, the Democrats always reach into their little black book o’dirty tricks, if not out and out voter fraud.

squint on May 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Is this happening?

Well, judging by the frantic calls I heard today from public union-lovin’ Wisconsinites into Ed Shultz’s radio show (yes, I do listen occasionally for comedic purposes), a double-digit Walker victory sounds very possible.

Oh yeah.

Common Sense Floridian on May 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Been confident about a Walker win for awhile now, but a lead well outside the margin of fraud would be very comforting.

It also provides a preview of November which is even more comforting.

Missy on May 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Allah, I have the video for you for a Walker win! Here it is!

Sekhmet on May 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Eeyore’s hardest hit.

chimney sweep on May 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Theoretically that’s true but why on earth would Walker supporters stay home? This is the ultimate chance to REFUDIATE Big Labor and fire the shot heard round the world as we run up to November.

Missy on May 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

rubberneck on May 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Are you kidding me?!?
Mitt and the gope have been no where around while Walker has been going through all this….and now they want to ride in and capitalize on Walker’s/Wisconsin’s success.

Mitt and the gope make me sick.

Walker doesn’t need Mitt’s shoulder or anything else….Walker’s already won the state.

tencole on May 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Put a grass skirt on the Humpbot. Taunt Obama with it.

DanMan on May 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

DO NOT celebrate until the night…after Walker’s win.

DO NOT take a single vote for granted.

The rats are very dangerous.

Wisconsin is the barricade of 2012.

As goes Wisconsin so goes the nation in Nov.

Romney better stand next to Walker ahead of the election.

Schadenfreude on May 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I’ll need to drop Humpbot…

Gasp! Whatcha talkin’ ’bout, Willis? Don’t you dare drop the ‘bot!

rcpjr on May 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Allah, I have the video for you for a Walker win! Here it is!

Sekhmet on May 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Heh

WisRich on May 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM

You’re going to need the Humpbot having its way with the Humpbot.

Sarjex on May 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM

It’s a trap to get Walker supporters to stay home…

RedSoxNation on May 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I agree with you 100%. THEY are up to something (different topic a few days ago but gist was that my SMURF neighbor alluded to it in the context of not voting in the primary).

teejk on May 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Buy champagne, but only on the way home from voting.

Indeed, and count every vote, several times…surely the lefties do…don’t trust anything/anyone and don’t take a single vote for granted.

To the barricade of 2012!

Schadenfreude on May 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I think the last time we had ABBA on the site we got Obamacare… I don’t like seeing ABBA.

El_Terrible on May 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I’ll need to drop Humpbot…

I can think of a few scenes from The Avengers. Think Hulk.

WisRich on May 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

milcus on May 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Don’t forget Feingold’s defeat in 2010.

midgeorgian on May 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Folks, get yourself a flip video camera, they don’t cost much, and if you see shenanigans, video it.

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Just read that Obama is getting involved, so look for lots of out of state, ineligible, fictional and dead people stuffing the ballet boxes in the typical corrupt Democrat precincts ala Northwestern Indiana.

OxyCon on May 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM

The better half and I will be early voting tomorrow as June 5th will have crowded voting places for this epic election. I will be thinking of uppereastside as I mark the ballot for Gov. Walker and Lt. Gov. Kleefisch. We’ll need a humpbot the size of the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man in Ghostbusters on June 6th…anniversary of the D-Day invasion.

Deano1952 on May 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Just read that Obama is getting involved

Where did you read that? Just curious b/c this came out today:

Missy on May 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM

With 60,000 absentee ballots the Dems and unions no longer need to advertise.

davod on May 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM

1984 in real life on May 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

If the view stays this bad, MSNBC will simply cancel coverage. What election? Oh that’s not that important. In other news…

slickwillie2001 on May 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM

HEHE!!!

ted c on May 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Will the fleebaggers, once again, turn tail and leave town for Galena, IL or Paducah, MN???? Where, oh where, can they find themselves a lil’ commune of like minded trolls??/

ted c on May 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

With 60,000 absentee ballots the Dems and unions no longer need to advertise.

davod on May 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Make that 90,000. There were 68,000 absentee ballots for the recall primary. There have been 90,000 requests for absentee ballots for the recall itself SO FAR, and they can request the ballots through next week thursday. I got the number, and up to what date they can ask for them, on our local radio station “top of the hour” local news. WTAQ Green Bay.

PackerFan4Life on May 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

What is best in life?

Green_Bay_Packers on May 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Don’t forget the pudding.

RedMindBlueState on May 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Holding you to it!

Tim_CA on May 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Just read that Obama is getting involved

Where did you read that? Just curious b/c this came out today:

Missy on May 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Missy, I read that on Breitbart, via the MacIver Institute:

OxyCon on May 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

My parents are 2 of those – Scott Walker Votes.

Not all absentee votes are D fraud.

Green_Bay_Packers on May 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

My favorite yard signs…by far.

RECALL SANTA

I didn’t get what I wanted.

Gotta figure out where to buy some.

WryTrvllr on May 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

My favorite yard signs…by far.

RECALL SANTA

I didn’t get what I wanted.

Gotta figure out where to buy some.

WryTrvllr on May 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Not a yard sign but….

PackerFan4Life on May 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

It ain’t over till it’s over. The dems. have a very large ground org. which has been driving folks to the polls evey day this week due to early voting. My biggest fear is that republicans will become complacent.

bs4948800 on May 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

PackerFan4Life on May 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Missy, I read that on Breitbart, via the MacIver Institute:

OxyCon on May 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

..hmmmmmmmmmm. Reminiscent of the Scott Walker campaign back in 2010. Wonder if he’s going to do a road trip up there and give a speech to a half-empty high-school gym? Maybe Barret could geau to Lambeau Field and shake Pack fan’s hands?

The War Planner on May 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The War Planner on May 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Anybody have some antibacterial wipes? This is ONE Packer fan he won’t shake hands with!

PackerFan4Life on May 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I hope to G-d Scott Walker is lawyered up, because I am going to call it now:

The Democrats are going to try and steal this one they way the tried to steal Florida in 2000.

The stories you are reading about Democrats “pulling out” of Wisconsin are b/s. I bet they are misdirection.

Assume that the fraud will be widespread, centering in Milwaukee, Madison, and in other Rotten Boroughs, and be run out of the White House.

Remember what got Al Franken elected.

victor82 on May 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Poor Libfree and Urban… feel so sorry for them…/

CW on May 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

May Obama go stand with Barrett, and lose.

Schadenfreude on May 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

PackerFan4Life on May 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

New voter ID law doesn’t much affect absentee ballots does it? Absentee balloting is an enormous hole in the integrity of our voting process.

slickwillie2001 on May 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Don’t get cocky, kid.

ajacksonian on May 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Why can’t this be Romney 54, Obama 42?

Oil Can on May 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Patience Grasshopper, patience.

VorDaj on May 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Um, that Romney/BO graph looks like a penis. Sorry, just saying. Who knew politics could be so porno.

msupertas on May 24, 2012 at 6:19 PM

The Democrats are voting all week long. Bus after bus going in to early vote, and the inept Republicans aren’t even there watching. Republicans will need a lot bigger spread than +12% to get enough legit votes to overcome the criminals.

Buddahpundit on May 24, 2012 at 6:24 PM

slickwillie2001 on May 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I wouldn’t be shocked if Sgt. Ed Schultz were to simply go MIA for an indefinite period after the election. That or he spontaneously combusts on-air.

Either option is fine with me. :)

Myron Falwell on May 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM

The Dems overplayed their hand.

This is going to cost them.

NeoKong on May 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Rush always says that you can count on the libs to overplay their hand always.

Go Walker!!!!!!!

I also agree with someone above, a LOT of the absentee ballots will be requested from Walker supporters.

Remember, public union households are under 10% of the state. And from that poll, almost half of them support Walker.

Has anyone seen statistics about what % of dues the unions have lost since membership is now voluntary?

karenhasfreedom on May 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Buddahpundit on May 24, 2012 at 6:24 PM

That was to be expected anyway. IMO.

Myron Falwell on May 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Allah

My vote to replace humpbot. Just edit to the good part and add music.

Lil Great White

budfox on May 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM

slickwillie2001 on May 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Forget about voter ID law. It’s an enormous hole in both the absentee AND the ballot box- because a liberal judge.. no, TWO different liberal judges… threw it out and said voter ID couldn’t be used. It was brought up to the state supreme court, but they refused to hear it and remanded it down to the lower courts- the very courts that said we couldn’t use it.

So…. doesn’t matter much if it’s absentee or not; the “quick and the dead” along with illegals will be voting; and voting more than once to boot. Interestingly enough, all (or almost all) of those votes will go D. It’s very interesting how once you die you change parties and become D.

PackerFan4Life on May 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Heads will definitely explode at PMSLSD when Walker wins the recall…

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Oh! We can submit entries for Allah’s new humpbot replacement.

Aw yeah!!

Allah never posts polls, just smokes ‘em (kidding, kidding). But this is somethin’ that we gotsta poll, if you know whut I’m sezzin.

ted c on May 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM

The War Planner on May 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

That was Scott Brown and yeah it was embarrassing for the Won. Brown had more people outside at his event (the same night I think) standing in rain and snow than Obama’s people could drag in off the street.

The campaign had the gym’s dividing screen closed to make it look full. Now THAT is a poll.

Barrett is probably hoping Obama stays away.

It’s a trap to get Walker supporters to stay home…

RedSoxNation on May 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

They all need to go out and vote. “It’s the only way to be sure.”

dogsoldier on May 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM

My balls, your pudding.

Whassup!

Spliff Menendez on May 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Try this:

Varchild on May 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM

If the Dems were smart, which I realize they are not, they would have realised that Walker won the last election. Hello…that means that more people voted for him last time than his opponent. It hasn’t been long enough for people to forget that and they can still want to “give him a chance”. Obama isn’t the only politician who people want to give the benefit of the doubt to.

txmomof6 on May 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Yes!! Double digits, please! I will watch Larry, Ed and Rachel meltdown on pMSNBC!

SouthernGent on May 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM