Changing the definition of middle-class

posted at 7:21 pm on May 24, 2012 by Dustin Siggins

In a letter to House Speaker Boehner sent yesterday, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) called for the following:

Without further delay, the Majority Leadership should schedule a vote on extension of the middle-income tax cuts, as early as next week, to increase certainty for millions of American taxpayers and for the economy.  We should not delay passing this legislation that will help afford all Americans the opportunity to reach their goals and realize the promise of the American Dream.

We must ask the very wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share.  Democrats believe that tax cuts for those earning over a million dollars a year should expire and that we should use the resulting revenues to pay down the deficit.

There are a myriad of ways for conservatives to respond to this letter (it goes on for much longer than what I posted above), but here are three:

1. In 2010 House Democrats – then the Majority Party – pushed voting on the Bush tax cuts until after the November elections for political strategy reasons. Tell me again why Pelosi has any moral authority on timeliness of tax policy extensions.

2. As noted at the liberal blog Fire Dog Lake yesterday, Pelosi has changed the goalposts on what is “middle-class.” It used to be those making less than $250,000 annually. Now it’s someone who makes less than $1 million.

3. The Congressional Budget Office’s (CBO) static analyses of the Bush tax policies said extension of the policies for those making over $250,000 would “cost” the federal government somewhere around $700 to $800 billion over ten years. While I don’t know how much “deficit reduction” would come from raising the marginal rates for millionaires, it can’t be much – in 2008 Fact Check found 1 in 50 taxpayers made $250,000 or more, but recent IRS data shows only 1 in 1,000 taxpayers makes one million dollars or more per year.

To put #3 another way, the Politico article summarizing the aforementioned IRS data notes millionaires made a combined $726.9 billion in 2009. Taking every single dollar from millionaires, never mind merely a few percentage points on the top income bracket of their annual income, would cut last year’s deficit by a bit more than half. Raising taxes by a small fraction of that amount for the explicit goal of paying down the deficit is therefore a laughable concept, especially when by Democratic logic (and CBO analysis) taxes extending the Bush policies for non-millionaires would “cost” over $300 billion per year.

I can only guess as to what Pelosi’s goal was in releasing this letter (if Fire Dog Lake is already hammering her, this means she may not be able to get support for the idea from her left flank for higher taxes, never mind centrists and conservatives in her party), but I have to think it was to put media pressure on Boehner to raise taxes on higher earners. Given her willingness to shift the goalposts on who is “wealthy” and who is “middle-class,” however, I say Boehner ought to stick to his press secretary’s one-line response: “Speaker Boehner has already announced that the House will act to stop the tax hike on every American taxpayer.”

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Should all people pay their “fair share”?

right2bright on May 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM

…Pelosi thinks everyone but her is rich!

KOOLAID2 on May 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Scary headline picture…I won’t sleep tonite!

SMACKRUNNER on May 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM

…I wonder if she has even read ‘that one’!
She probably doesn’t know what she wants to expire!

KOOLAID2 on May 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Pelosi?

I thought that was a picture of an escaped house elf!

StubbleSpark on May 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Thanks for the photo, there goes dinner..

hillsoftx on May 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I would like to see, in bold print, the Left’s definition of “fair”. I have the feeling that my English dictionary is different to theirs.

OldEnglish on May 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM

In Princess Nutzi’s Sonoma wine country, a million is nothing.

slickwillie2001 on May 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Put this ugly old hag out to pasture. She gives me nightmares. I’m only about 9 years younger than she is. If I look like that in nine years, I’ll start wearing a burkha. If I start thinking that way, I’ll promise to go sky-diving without a chute.

hachiban on May 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM

…has anyone ever wanted to punch a woman before?…me either!…BUT!…she’s raising her fist…I feel threatened…and she’s not too stable!…frightening!

KOOLAID2 on May 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I can only guess as to what Pelosi’s goal was in releasing this letter

Perhaps her tax account has told her that she and hubby will be making JUST UNDER $1 million this year.

GarandFan on May 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Thanks for the photo, there goes dinner..

hillsoftx on May 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM

That damned mouse face…

cajun carrot on May 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Can someone ask the hag what she means by “fair”?

If its measured by how many government services i use, I already pay far more than my fair share.

If its measured by how many ‘less fortunate’ I should support- please give me a number. I already pay for the education and health services for scores of illegal aliens and their children. I pay for disability scammers. I pay for people who are able-bodied but choose not to work. I pay for people who claim they need food stamps, but who somehow can afford to have the latest Iphone. I pay for GSA workers to party in Las Vegas. I pay for government union workers to retire at 50.
Frankly, I don’t find any of this fair at all.

LASue on May 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM

There are a myriad of ways for conservatives to respond to this letter

I say we just bite the bullet and throw the witch in prison for the rest of her unnatural life…

SWalker on May 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM

The tax base is pretty much maxed out.

Swingeing cuts + increased unemployment is the only way forward but the Dems live in a delusional world where static economic analysis works all the time.

CorporatePiggy on May 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Can someone ask the hag what she means by “fair”?

LASue on May 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Not without ending up right next to San Fran Botox Nan in he11…

SWalker on May 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Nan should just pull out a chart…..

MaxSplinters on May 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Pelosis statement is confusing. Not unusual I realize, but still. Which is it Nancy? Middleclass, All or Wealthy.

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Noe of the above, she’s a politician, ergo, her money is off the table as far as taxes are concerned…

SWalker on May 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Wealthy American = anyone who has a job.

Philly on May 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM

OK, but how’s that an effective response for conservatives? Dems are now proposing to extend tax relief for a greater number of taxpayers than they were previously, and that’s a bad thing?

El Txangurro on May 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Can they just tax millionaires in the entertainment industry? I’d be okay with that.

Fallon on May 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Nancy Pelosi is running for re-election in the June 5th California Primary.

She is running against 3 other Democrats, a Ron Paul “Liberty” Republican and a member of the Green Party.

Due to California’s new “Top Two” Primary system, only the top 2 canidates with the most votes will advance to the November General Election, regardless of Party.

Pelosi considers her seat in her San Francisco district so safe that she rarely does any campaigning. And there has been only minimal media coverage of the upcoming Primary even though early voting has already begun.

It would be a miracle for Pelosi to be voted out of office in the Primary. But if the voter turnout is very low, there may be a chance since San Franciscans may not think Pelosi is liberal enough for them.

So cross your fingers and say a prayer and hope for an election miracle that votes Pelosi out of office on June 5th.

wren on May 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Fallon on May 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

How about removing the deductibility of state income taxes to calculate taxable federal income? Why should the federal government be subsidizing liberal states through that deductibility?

slickwillie2001 on May 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

The best part about taking all the money from millionaires is that all our pro-sports will be shown via satellite because all of it be off-shore

J_Crater on May 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

J_Crater on May 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

No more blackouts!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Obama!~

tom daschle concerned on May 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Khaaaaan!!!

Yiwen on May 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

All that picture needs is a photoshopped richard.

HumpBot Salvation on May 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM

“I’ll get you my pretty, and your little dog too! Ahhh ha ha ha ha.”

Oldnuke on May 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM

After years of historic deficits, this 110th Congress will commit itself to a higher standard: pay-as-you-go, no new deficit spending. Our new America will provide unlimited opportunity for future generations, not burden them with mountains of debt.

- New Speaker Nancy Pelosi, 01/04/2007

YOU LIE!!!

Pelosi added more to the total national debt than any other Speaker in history… growing the national debt from $8.7 Trillion to $14 Trillion, an increase of $5.3 Trillion.

And with Democrats in control of the Presidency and Senate, the national debt is now $15.7 Trillion, an increase of $7 TRILLION since they took majority control less than five and a half years ago.

Every Republican deficit under Bush was UNDER $600 Billion ($0.6 Trillion).
EVERY Democrat deficit under Bush and Obama has been OVER $1 Trillion.

ITguy on May 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM

That hag should be put out to pasture, along with Harry Reid and Charlie Rangel.

disa on May 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM

wren on May 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I’ll bet Brett Kimberlin could beat her.

disa on May 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM

All that picture needs is a photoshopped richard.

HumpBot Salvation on May 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Ok, I’ll admit it . . . . . . it took couple seconds . . . : )

listens2glenn on May 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Last time I saw a glassy eyed mug like Pelosi’s was in the Twin Cities airport during the 80′s when I was confronted by a gaggle of “Moonies”!

chickasaw42 on May 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM

We already have that opportunity, you blithering one-percenter idiot — at least so long as we can preserve the liberties of the U.S. Constitution from hypocrites like you.

minnesoter on May 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I still can’t believe that Pelosi and Raquel Welch are the same age…

I could get stranded on a desert island with Raquel, no issues…

Khun Joe on May 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

How does a Democrat politician pay down a deficit. Is that like me paying down my car debt by foregoing heated seats on my next purchase?

MNHawk on May 25, 2012 at 7:09 AM

The Dems want to change the definition of “middle class”?

Add it to the list of the other terms they have or or trying to change the definition of:

Racism (only majority populations — whites — can be racist)
Marriage (open to any two people who “love” each other)
Religion (no longer applies to schools, charities, hospitals, etc.)
Investments (all government spending, hand outs, and wealth redistribution programs)
Etc.

farsighted on May 25, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Should all people pay their “fair share”?

right2bright on May 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM

“In politics, ‘fair’ is a one-word oxymoron.”

PersonFromPorlock on May 25, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Would somebody please please please throw a bucket of water on that old hag? I want see if she melts.

lfwest on May 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM

So the stupid b*tch admits that raising taxes can kill the American Dream.

I cannot wait until her face finally splits open.

Squiggy on May 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM