Quotes of the day

posted at 10:39 pm on May 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

Are “job destroyers” sitting on President Obama’s jobs council?

There could be, if you believe the argument from Democrats and the Obama campaign that private equity executives are profit seekers who often run roughshod over workers, companies and communities.

Two Obama-appointed members of the White House Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, an advisory committee, are leading figures in the private equity industry

While neither Gallogly nor Parsons is running for office, Democrats and the Obama campaign have sought in some ways to demonize the industry itself, part of an aggressive effort to discredit Romney’s top selling point.

***

Conversations with liberal activists and labor officials reveal an unmistakable hostility toward the pro-business, free-trade, free-market philosophy that was in vogue during the second half of the Clinton administration. Former White House Chief of Staff William Daley, who tried to steer the Obama administration in a more centrist direction, is the subject of particular derision. Discussion of entitlement reforms, at the heart of the GOP governing agenda, is a nonstarter. The fiscally conservative Blue Dog Democrats are now nearly extinct on Capitol Hill.

Moderate Democratic groups and officials, meanwhile, privately fret about the party’s leftward drift and the Obama campaign’s embrace of an aggressively populist message. They’re disappointed that the administration didn’t take the lead advancing the Simpson-Bowles deficit-reduction proposal, they wish the administration’s focus was on growth over fairness, and they are frustrated with the persistent congressional gridlock. Third Way, the centrist Democratic think tank, has been generating analyses underscoring the need for Democrats to appeal to middle-of-the-road voters, to no avail.

“There are not a lot of moderates left in the Democratic Party, and Cory is one of the few of them left,” said former Democratic Rep. Artur Davis, an early Obama ally who has become increasingly estranged from the party. “I would like to think Cory speaks for a lot of voters in the Democratic Party, but sadly he doesn’t speak for a lot of Democratic operatives within the party. This isn’t Bill Clinton’s Democratic Party anymore.”

***

Many a requiem has been written for “that hopey-changey thing,” as Sarah Palin so memorably dubbed it. And to be sure, much of the griping about the president’s harsh tone is the disingenuous phony outrage of Republicans who would prefer not to be its targets. But as Obama embarks in earnest on his second presidential campaign, deliberately invoking the echoes of 2008 as he does so, the contrast with his old image is especially stark.

From the beginning, the president’s reelection campaign has taken a brutal, no-holds-barred approach that’s sharply at odds with the conciliatory image that was the central predicate of Obama’s entire pre-presidential political career. Whether or not the specific issue of Bain Capital ought to be off limits — Booker has taken pains to clarify he doesn’t think it should be — there’s no denying that Obama’s 2012 campaign has seized every opportunity to turn the campaign toward sharply personal attacks of a type that the 2008-vintage Obama would surely have recoiled from. From Romney’s treatment of his onetime pet dog to his high-school pranks to his income-tax rate, from the “war on women” to the “war on caterpillars,” from “I like being able to fire people” to “I’m not concerned about the very poor,” no potential controversy has been too petty, too rhetorically overblown or too out-of-context to be exploited to the hilt.

None of this is shocking — it’s how the game is played. But Obama once ostentatiously refused to play it.

***

Obama’s ads betray a belief that profits are, at best, a necessary evil that should always take a back seat to other community concerns. This probably explains his “investments” in losers like Solyndra and high-speed rail (for the sake of the Earth), as well as his bailouts of Chrysler and General Motors (for the sake of the unions). Never mind that Solyndra had an unsustainable business model, or that taxpayers spent $50 billion to save a car company that is worth only $34 billion today.

What Team Obama still doesn’t understand is that profits are just a signal that businesses depend on to determine how best to invest their resources. Thanks to profit-seeking private equity, many of America’s bloated industries that had stagnated in the 1970s came back to life in the 1980s and 1990s. As capital was reallocated from poor performers to profit-makers, new jobs arose in more productive economic enterprises…

What this nation needs, and what it currently lacks, is a president who understands the role that businesses play in the economy — including private equity firms. It would be quite an improvement over a leader who demonizes some industries while subsidizing and bailing out others.

***

[I]t’s not so much that Team Obama is using Bain, which would be an inevitable part of any campaign (Democratic or Republican). It’s rather that they have so little else to work with. What is the positive message of the Obama campaign? What is the vision for a second term? I’m not seeing much of anything on that front.

And that points to a core mistake that the Obama White House has made time and time again: they’ve ignored public opinion. Poll after poll shows that the president is unpopular in general, and specifically on the economy, but those same polls indicate that most people do not blame him for the recession. Obviously, he’s saddling some of the responsibility for the weak recovery – but there is more to it. Specifically, the government has appeared to have done nothing about the problem since February 2009…

The first half of his term produced reviled legislation, and the second half has produced nothing at all. So, all he has to run on is Bain.

***

“The fact is that I spent 25 years in the private sector. And that obviously teaches you something that you don’t learn if you haven’t spent any time in the private sector … You learn through life’s experience,” Romney said, in his first public response to Obama’s criticism. “The president’s experience has been exclusively in politics and as a community organizer. Both of those are fine areas of endeavor, but right now we have an economy in trouble, and someone who spent their career in the economy is more suited to help fix the economy than someone who spent his life in politics and as a community organizer.”

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

John the Libertarian on May 24, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Lol!

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 2:22 AM

No haven’t..Hot Air keeps me too occupied..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM

No haven’t..Hot Air keeps me too occupied..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Yeah, it has a way of doing just that. I thought about going over there, but I’ve been toying around with a little blog myself. Nothing serious, just easy lighthearted peeks at what I’m into these days. But when I comment at a place like that it leaves a link for my blog with my name and I not ready for that. You know me a bit of a privacy paranoid. Some things I don’t mind obviously letting be known. But I still have to sure it up a bit. I have a friend helping on the security end. We found some crumb trails I left so we are moving to straighten it up. I’ll spot you the link here directly and get your opinion on the blog. A couple of folks from here have already found it. Good peeps though. ; )

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Great, I was trying to hit the bottom of the page. LOL!

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 2:40 AM

.he11!…Look at this ^ ^ ^ !!!…I’m having a bad dream!

KOOLAID2 on May 24, 2012 at 2:37 AM

LOL!

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 2:43 AM

anti-bishopped

tom daschle concerned on May 24, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Good Luck with your blog..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Good Night All. ; )

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Bmore just went to his happy place with morphine.8D

tom daschle concerned on May 24, 2012 at 2:46 AM

uncommon sense on May 24, 2012 at 1:35 AM

…..g o o o o o l l l l l y!!!…I just got up to take a leak… checked my monitor…and Doc was talking to himself…no one answered…he’d say something… minutes later…someone run over there and give him a sleepy tune!

KOOLAID2 on May 24, 2012 at 2:48 AM

792

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Dire, we are doing something wrong. The Dr. gets 792, we got 410. ? Oh well we’ll work on it tomorrow. ; ) Sleep Well.

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Bmore has me on the brain, along with her clones. :)

Dr. Tesla on May 24, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Bmore has me on the brain, along with her clones. :)

Dr. Tesla on May 24, 2012 at 3:52 AM

I bet you practice saying this while looking in a mirror…with one hand…

lovingmyUSA on May 24, 2012 at 4:19 AM

BedBug,

Did you have an “Aha Moment” while listening to Rush?
Details please?

We all started on the “other side”.
I wrote to President Nixon to get us out of VietNam.

When my brother was spit on in his Navy uniform, in San Francisco, returning from Nam, I knew I hated those hippies.
I’m a John Wayne fan and being a traitor is the lowest on the food chain.

Typicalwhitewoman on May 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Not all of us. I was a Republican from 12 years old. I remember crying when Richard Nixon was giving his resignation speech.

Night Owl on May 24, 2012 at 5:31 AM

AP – I wanna see a picture of ron paul (you know + like him correct?) of the same vintage!

Fuquay Steve on May 24, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Good Morning!

so the folks on morning joe are only worried about which states dear leader needs to win…they sure seem a little worried….

cmsinaz on May 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Please…nobody wake up Tesla.

kingsjester on May 24, 2012 at 7:01 AM

cmsinaz on May 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM

So they still haven’t commented on the ~40% of primary voters who voted for Wolfe or Mr. Unaffiliated?
Unreal.

CurtissP-40b on May 24, 2012 at 7:01 AM

The difference between Molly Ball and Lucille: Lucille was intentionally funny (oh, and prettier).

swinia sutki on May 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Please…nobody wake up Tesla.

kingsjester on May 24, 2012 at 7:01 AM

No kidding, Lolz…

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Good Morning!

cmsinaz on May 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Good morning to you! When Mika starts sobbing do you think her fake tan will run down the front of her dress?

Naturally Curly on May 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Good Morning!

cmsinaz on May 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Good. Thanks for monitoring that crap for us darlin’

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Gee…it’s almost as if the folks in the Heartland are fed up with Scooter and all of his garbage.

kingsjester on May 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM

CurtissP-40b on May 24, 2012 at 7:01 AM

halperin just spent 2 seconds on it…he’s the only saying that romney has more chances to 270 than dear leader, no one else will admit it, it appears

Naturally Curly on May 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM

that would be ugly

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2012 at 7:08 AM

you got it :)

cmsinaz on May 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM

ej dionne bashing conservative bishops who are suing HHS…

stay classy there bub

cmsinaz on May 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Why do so many liberals lisp? Something to do with their potty training perhaps?

Naturally Curly on May 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM

cmsinaz on May 24, 2012 at 7:27 AM

esr1951 on May 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM

cripe

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2012 at 7:23 AM

yepper

cmsinaz on May 24, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Romney sure was pretty back then.

TXMomof3 on May 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM

swing state Colorado not too hip on generate teh coin for POTUS these days. Apparently, some protesters got all up in his grill.

ted c on May 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Romney sure was pretty back then.

TXMomof3 on May 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM

He sure was, wasn’t he! :)

AsianGirlInTights on May 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Have y’all seen this?

I am speechless.

esr1951 on May 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM

At first I was all offended that he really thinks we’re that stupid, but it was at one of his fundraisers, so it’s something those people will happily believe. I’m suprised there was information from it, since they started confiscating cell phones.

Night Owl on May 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM

ted c on May 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM

chuck todd just said that colorado and new mexico will go to dear leader, and nevada a toss up….

i guess this may put a crimp in that

cmsinaz on May 24, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I’m sure this has already been brought up, but I’d just like to point out that Bain Capital is currently the 9th-largest political donor and gave 72% to Democrats.

This is the basket in which Obama is putting his eggs? Fine with me.

While we’re at it let’s compare the nutty religion of Jeremiah Wright with Mormonism. One of my best friends growing up was Mormon, and his family was one of the most decent families I have ever known. His father was a professor at Florida State and he and both of his brothers were Eagle Scouts. All three spent two years of their lives in 3rd-world countries helping other people. WTF has Jeremiah Wright’s congregation ever contributed to society besides generation after generation of bitter malcontents? A few libs have nibbled around the edges of this comparison – I wish they’d just take a bite.

stout77 on May 24, 2012 at 7:43 AM

The left has to have a large company to demonize. Most companies have a logo to shorten their name for easy recognitions. We had to listen to the inane demonization of the great company Halliburton during the Bush years. However, ain’t it amazin that we never have a left-related company to demonize during the years of dhimocraptic rule; although, we do have a few communists.

Old Country Boy on May 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Bmore has me on the brain, along with her clones. :)

Dr. Tesla on May 24, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Sure dude, I’m a clone, and Dr. I’m male. If you think referring to me as she bothers me, you are mistaken. I love the ladies. ; )

Bmore on May 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM