Poll: Opposition to gay marriage drops to new low after Obama’s announcement

posted at 4:41 pm on May 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

Does The One still have this sort of influence even among his base? C’mon. I know he’s “the Lightbringer” or whatever, but no one’s morals are changing overnight just because Obama finally mustered the meager political courage needed to drop his ancient charade on SSM.

Or are they?

Overall, 53 percent of Americans say gay marriage should be legal, hitting a high mark in support while showing a dramatic turnaround from just six years ago, when just 36 percent thought it should be legal. Thirty-nine percent, a new low, say gay marriage should be illegal.

The poll also finds that 59 percent of African Americans say they support same-sex marriage, up from an average of 41 percent in polls leading up to Obama’s announcement of his new position on the matter. Though statistically significant, it is a tentative result because of the relatively small sample of black voters in the poll…

Schubert was deeply skeptical that support for same-sex marriage was increasing among African Americans.

“There is not a chance in God’s green earth that African Americans support same-sex marriage,” he said, drawing from his experience organizing anti-same-sex marriage campaigns in California, Iowa, Maine and North Carolina. The president’s endorsement has likely “created a lot of angst and conflict in that community, but his opinion of same-sex marriage is not going to be changing the opinion of African Americans in a significant way.”

Is there really no chance that black voters are shifting on this? When WaPo polled the gay-marriage issue in isolation last week, they found that 54 percent of blacks supported O’s announcement versus 37 percent who disapproved — although, as in today’s poll, because of the small sample the margin of error was enormous. Separately, PPP polled North Carolina and found a seven-point trend in favor of SSM among black residents, from 20 percent before the recent referendum to ban gay marriage in the state to 27 percent after Obama spoke up. With O polling between 90 and 95 percent among that demographic, go figure that a dramatic policy change of heart might move some votes on the issue. Maybe that’s where the sudden national boost in favor of SSM is coming from.

The problem with that theory, though, is that we have a sample skew here. Back in March, WaPo found the split on SSM to be 52/43; the sample for that poll was 31D/27R/36I. This month the split is 53/39 based on a sample of 32D/22R/38I. When you go from a four-point tilt towards Democrats to a 10-point tilt, don’t be surprised if the support you see for legalizing gay marriage moves accordingly. Could be, though, that a little of both is happening — WaPo oversampled Dems and yet there’s real movement among blacks towards the liberal position on this. We won’t know for sure until the next state referendum but it’s worth flagging this data now for reference later.

Exit question: Given the Democratic skew, is the narrowness of this margin worth anything? Looks similar to the narrow margin in last night’s WSJ poll, but of course that poll had a teetering sample too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I post on a multiplicity of topics, in fact I would say on the issues you accuse me of “only” posting on, those would be the minority of my posts. That you don’t “notice” all those many other posts, what can I say. They’re there. You say you don’t “see” them. I can’t make you see them, so that’s that.

I also read, or at least scan, 90% of the “serious” topics, I don’t see JetBoy posting on those. I don’t, if I did I’d say so.

As far as ideological purity, I’ll say this: some issues are “deal killers” as far as being a legit conservative in my opinion. One is abortion – if you’re pro abortion and pushing a pro abortion agenda, then you’re not a conservative. If you’re anti-2nd amendment and are pushing an anti-gun agenda, then you’re not a conservative. If you’re for same sex marriage and are pushing a progressive homosexual agenda, then you’re not a conservative. There it is.

As far as “disliking gays”, that’s nonsense. What consenting adults do in privacy, I don’t give a damn. Marriage is not private however, and I see through the agenda, see that it’s only the beginning of the march of the forced acceptance of the “gay lifestyle” through society. I see what’s happened in Canada and England, and don’t want it here. And that is a very conservative perspective.

So I will make judgments based on all the above. I see a poster that acts like a Moby, I’m going to say so. I see a poster who 95% of the time posts the polar opposite of conservative values, I’m going to say so. I see a poster using classic Alinsky tactics, I’m going to say so.

And I’m going to continue to say so, especially on these absurd push-polls that Allahpundit so loves to toss out, despite admitting that they are phony.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I see a poster that acts like a Moby, I’m going to say so.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Good for you. The fact of the matter is that he’s not. If you continue to call someone a liar when I know they are not, I will say so.

JetBoy is a conservative. Reasonable commenters know this. Either you are unable to see it because you’re so focused on his position on a stupid niche issue, or you simply don’t care what his other positions are and you’re willing to smear him based on your disagreement with him. Whatever the case, you’re a di*k.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

JetBoy is a conservative.

I’ve seen no evidence of this, and I see almost everything that goes on here, and for years. His, and your, assertions that he is, simply doesn’t jive what I’ve personally seen.

Whatever the case, you’re a di*k.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Perhaps.

If so, I’m a conservative “di*k”, and firmly in the mainstream of conservative thought.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Your entire concept of conservatism hinges on a stupid fringe issue

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Got Alinsky?

Stoic Patriot on May 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Got Alinsky?

Stoic Patriot on May 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I don’t know what he’s got.

MelonCollie on May 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I doubt I am the only one who thinks that African Americans are overstating their personal support of this issue to be more in line with “The Won”.

darcee on May 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM

darcee on May 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM

The 2/3rds of blacks who voted in North Carolina to put the ban on same sex marriage in their state constitution, agree with you.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Got Alinsky?

Stoic Patriot on May 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Ah. So then, in fact, anyone who is conservative must agree with one person on certain issues. I notice Rebar listed gun control(one of my diehard issues). Ronald Reagan signed the 1986 Hughes Amendment, one of the biggest restrictions of gun rights in American history. According to Rebar, Ronald Reagan isn’t conservative.

And if you don’t agree with that, then you must be channeling Saul Alinsky.

Thanks for the info!

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

And if you don’t agree with that, then you must be channeling Saul Alinsky.

Thanks for the info!

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Let’s just say there’s a certain irony as you wag your finger at him for having the audacity to judge someone as conservative or not, while dismissing what he cares about as “fringe.”

It’s almost like there’s a double-standard.

Stoic Patriot on May 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Only 109 posts and already into the Top Picks.

AP – it’s time to come out.

CorporatePiggy on May 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I am a “long-timer” at HA, and I stand by what I said. 95% of your posts are in the “gay” topics pushing the progressive homosexual agenda. And on other topics I’ve seen you on, like the Trayvon Martin shooting, you were again on the progressive side of the issue.

Throw your ad hominems as you will, I’ll stack my posting history up against yours, or anyone elses, any day of the week.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Stuff a sock in it or I’ll tell Tesla you’re over here. Were you really his room-mate in college?

katy the mean old lady on May 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

It’s almost like there’s a double-standard.

Stoic Patriot on May 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

You know what else is “fringe”?

The entire republican party.

Yup.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

You know what else is “fringe”?

The entire republican party.

Yup.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I tip my hat, sir. Good find!

Stoic Patriot on May 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Were you really his room-mate in college?

katy the mean old lady on May 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I don’t know, did he date a midget on the Rutger’s fencing team?

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Stoic Patriot on May 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

It is a fringe issue. It affects a tiny percentage of the population. We shouldn’t be talking about it as much as we are. Obama’s using it as another distraction from his pathetic record.

The only double standard would be if there were another issue that I would consider “you must have this opinion or you’re not conservative”. There is no such issue. People have every combination of opinions possible. Ideology is based partly on the majority of your opinions, and partly on how you live your life.

JetBoy has voiced conservative opinions on the majority of issues. He’s supported some losers like McCain and Crist, but because he thought they were conservative, not because he thought they weren’t. Rebar is doing to JetBoy what has been done to myself and countless others on this site. It’s an epidemic of a cheap, empty debating tactic, and I’m sick of it.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

You know what else is “fringe”?

The entire republican party.

Yup.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Yeah, you got me there. That traditional marriage plank is no more fringe than the “Supporting Native American Communities” plank. I think I just got smoked, yo.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Hey what happens in the voting booth is no one’s business.

tomas on May 23, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I would think that a fringe issue is an issue which most of the public is unaware of as an issue for political debate. As such, things like fluoride in the water supply or the labeling of canola-based products would be “fringe.”

Gay marriage, on the other hand, is a widely-known and debated issue. The President of the United States made a pronouncement on it, and it received major media coverage for more than a week, plus an incredible assortment of polling to boot. Significant shifts in Romney vs. Obama’s performance could immediately be seen in the Rasmussen tracking poll during the fallout. It made it to a constitutional ballot question in North Carolina — hardly alone among states in having it put to the wider voting public.

I’d hardly call that “fringe.”

The double-standard arises in that you lecture him for having the temerity to deem someone as conservative or not, while exercising said capacity for judgment yourself. Rather than criticize him for doing so, the two of you would be better off arguing over what the central tenets of conservatism are.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Exercising that capacity for judgment myself, then let me say that at best JetBoy’s a fool.

Stoic Patriot on May 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Yes JetBoy is a conservative and though some may disagree with him on the marriage issue to attack him as is being done here is wrong. I have read his posts at least for a couple of years so I know what I am talking about.

CW on May 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM

CW on May 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I’ve been here for at least three or four years, where are these mysterious “conservative” posts of his, because everything I’ve ever read from him, were straight out of the Alinsky playbook.

It’s an epidemic of a cheap, empty debating tactic, and I’m sick of it.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I find your outrage very selective, since JetBoy is very fond of calling anyone who disagrees with his favorite agenda a homophobe. In fact he even pulled the “you’re a closet homosexual” nonsense on me, I regret to say I don’t remember you going to bat for me.

Funny how that works.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Poll headlines where most people say “You’re kidding”

Oh yeah, Republicans (aka Conservatives) sample at 22%

Hhhmmm yet another MSM distortion

Jimbobby on May 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Jet IS normally conservative-except on gay marriage.
He’s a great guy as well!
I’m not for same-sex marriage, he knows it-and we STILL get along just fine.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM

JetBoy on May 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I’m another one who has your back, Jet.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Probably because I gave JetBoy tons of s**t for just that kind of conduct years ago when the California gay marriage debate was all fired up. I admonished him for smearing gay marriage opponents as homophobes, and particularly nailed him on his attempt to paint an elderly woman holding a cardboard cross as the “aggressor” when a crowd of gay marriage supporters destroyed the cross and shoved her around. As for the “all homophobes are closeted” crap, I’ve also repeatedly decried that stupid and cheap tactic on this site multiple times, and even had it used on me. But then, I’ve been accused of being gay by far more anti-SSM people on this site, so it’s hardly a tactic confined to the liberal position on the topic.

So, no, I didn’t go to bat specifically for you. Nor do I really think I would, given how toxic your attitude is. However, that doesn’t change how I feel about cheap tactics, regardless of which side of an issue they’re coming from. When I see them, especially when they involve calling someone a liar when they aren’t, I call them out. That includes telling people they’re lying about being conservative, when I know it to be true.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Save your breath. Rebar’s a yokel.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM
</blockquote
If I think someone is a Moby, I'm going to say so. Everything I've read posted by JetBoy screams Moby/Concern Troll, and I've been reading for a long time.

We all know there are Mobys here, if we disagree on whether JetBoy is or not, deal with it.

My "toxic attitude" is reserved for people who take a hard left progressive agenda, dress it up in conservative buzzwords, and try to pass it off as something conservatives should be supporting. Conservatives don't need to do that, conservatives don't belong to stealth progressive organizations like GOProud, conservatives don't post 95% of the time defending progressive agenda items. You disagree, fine, but you're looking at the finger when you might want to see where it's pointed.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM

woah, format failure.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I’ve probably been @ HA longer than you have. Jetboy is no liberal and he is no moby. He’s a good guy.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Once again AP promotes a poll that makes one go hm…as in who cares?

Fuquay Steve on May 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Rebar’s a yokel.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM

A “yokel”?

You don’t think there’s any evidence that supports my opinion?

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM

C’mon. I know he’s “the Lightbringer” or whatever,

Oooh. I see what you did there.

Libraritarian on May 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I’ve been here for 5 1/2 years. I do NOT support same-sex marriage-I do support civil unions-and I think Martin was a thug…but heck-my husband and I don’t agree on everything.
Yeah-I think you’re totally wrong about Jet.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Wonderful thing, polls — aye, Allah? Where would you be without them?

minnesoter on May 23, 2012 at 11:32 PM

JetBoy is a good guy, but he’s too dim witted to see his own hypocrisy on this issue.

blink on May 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM

……………………………gah, nope. Can’t disagree.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM
blink on May 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Is he a “good guy” on twitter or facebook? Because in my time here, I’ve seen no evidence of such.

And perhaps, he’s just a really good conman? Entertain, if just for a moment, that he’s been shining on a bunch of you, and he really is just a particularly good Moby.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I dont believe this poll……how can abortion support be at a all-time low ….but gay marriage be swinging the other moral direction?

Hello Disconnect on multiple levels.

PappyD61 on May 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM

And perhaps, he’s just a really good conman?

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Yeah, that’s the ticket. A conman who supports McCain to the hilt. A conman who supported Crist and, when Crist tumbled, he admitted the error of his ways. All a web of careful lies and trickery, designed solely to…um…steal the Hot Air Crown Jewels! Sure, why not?

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Sure, why not?

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM

You seem unsure of the meaning of Moby.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM

You seem unsure of the meaning of Moby.

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM

So do you. A moby is someone who poses as a conservative and purposely blasts out over-the-top offensive comments in order to make a community look extremist/racist/sexist/whatever.

So far, we’ve got JetBoy…saying he’s in favor of gay marriage. Wow. Just insanely offensive. I expect his comments to be featured on the Daily Kos within the hour. F**k, I’ll bet Rachel Maddow is primed and ready to drop that bombshell on the 6 or so people who actually watch her show!

Meanwhile, we’ve got this other guy over here who seems to accuse everyone who disagrees with him on one issue of lying about being conservatives. Clearly, he’s the stable, sensible-sounding one. Especially when he accuses the gay marriage supporter of being a “con man”.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Btw, I don’t think you’re a yokel. I read plenty of worldly, sophisticated comments from you.

blink on May 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM

For what it’s worth, I agree with the first statement.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM

So do you.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Do I? Lets investigate.

An insidious and specialized type of left-wing troll who visits blogs and impersonates a conservative for the purpose of either spreading false rumors intended to sow dissension among conservative voters, or who purposely posts inflammatory and offensive comments for the purpose of discrediting the blog in question.

Ok, lets fit this together.

You have a poster, who claims to be a conservative, and perhaps throws out a few “conservative” posts from time to time, who spends 95% of their time pushing a hard left radical agenda, that if the GOP actually adopted, would split the social conservatives off – 40% of the party – thereby handing the country to the democrat party in perpetuity.

Hmmm. Add a self-admitted membership in a well known progresive organization – GOProud – things seem to add up pretty quick.

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I really like how you claim not to be anti-gay yet you denigrate the primary organization for gay voters that want to support the same people you do. Rich as devil’s food.

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Rich as devil’s food.

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Rich as the log cabin “republicans”?

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 12:13 AM

katy the mean old lady on May 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

No, no, please don’t. It is still on that S. E. Cupp thread. It’s now back to talking to itself because nobody is feeding it anything new. How I wish it would go away or Allah or Ed would ban it.

TigerPaw on May 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM

“Gay” Marriage? I suppose that means a happy marriage if don’t accept the use of the word “Gay” as a euphemism for Homosexual. I don’t. Gay means happy as far as I’m concerned.

In reality we’re talking about Depravity-based Marriage. If you call it what it is then the polling would be quite a bit different. The problem with this whole situation is that the Homosexual Self-Interest group managed to fool everyone into thinking it’s a Human Rights issue because they want people to believe in the old dead idea that people are “born that way”. Research based on the Human Genome Project should have ended that old hoax but people are still mis-informed, many still think there’s a “Gay Gene” even though no such gene exists.

This is not a Human Rights issue. This is a self-interest group dominating over an entire population of sheep. People better wake up before this self-interest group gets what it really wants – to increase their numbers by teaching children to become homosexual. That’s right, it’s a completely learned behavior. No person has ever been “born gay”. Not even one.

Val on May 24, 2012 at 12:45 AM

How I wish it would go away or Allah or Ed would ban it.

TigerPaw on May 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM

If people were banned for being personally objectionable, how many of us would still be here? Answer: None (or damned few).
It appears to take threats of violence or certain “magic” words to motivate the ban-hammer. Merely pissing people off doesn’t cut it.
I’ve learned to appreciate this standard and try (often fail) to not get caught up in pissing matches, although I do love to needle the obvious trolls at times.

swinia sutki on May 24, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Gay marriage is legal in all 50 states. No gay couples are being arrested/fined for having wedding ceremonies or wearing rings and saying that they are married.

This is about GOVERNMENT-RECOGNIZED gay marriage. People keep lying, saying that it’s about legalizing gay marriage as to full people into thinking that gay marriage is illegal. It’s not.

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM

1) It’s very apparent you haven’t been looking…I’ve posted on a wide variety of topics. Had you done a simple google search like I suggested before, you’d get the idea.

2) Truth be told I don’t see you post anywhere but gay threads.

3) And honestly, I don’t give a rat’s arse what you’re opinion of me is…let’s just say I ain’t losing sleep over it. But when you start spreading lies and misinformation about me, then you make yourself into nothing but a spiteful, narcissistic tool who claims to speak for all conservatives…when in reality you’re a total embarrassment to conservatives everywhere.

JetBoy on May 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM

No one’s opinion on gay marriage has changed as a result of Obama’s announcement. What’s changed is what some people feel comfortable telling a pollster on the telephone. More people feel it’s the “enlightened sounding” thing to say that they support gay marriage. Simple as that, and why many of these types of polls are useless.

The real polls, the ones that matter, are the ones where gay marriage has been on the ballot and people have had the opportunity to vote, anonymously, how they really feel. In those cases, even in states that are bastions of liberal thought like California, gay marriage has lost every time. That’s how the American people really feel.

This is why union thugs want to do away with secret ballots in union elections. People say very different things when other people are listening than they do when they get to vote their conscience in private.

Shump on May 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Americans can be so stupid.

Most of us believe there are more homosexuals than Catholics in the US:

Incredibly, most people obtain their perceptions from the wasteland known as Hollywood:
There are 94 openly homosexual characters in the top 114 shows.
Yet only about 3% of Americans are homosexual or bisexual.
Are there 94 openly Christian characters in those shows?
Ha!
Probably 7 or 8, & no doubt most of them are portrayed as hypocrites.

THAT’S why folks are so accepting of the dangerous & unhealthy homosexual lifestyle.

itsnotaboutme on May 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM

This poll is so gay.

Pork-Chop on May 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Allahpundit needs to change his name legally to:

Mr “I-get-my-panties-in-a-twist-everytime-some-new-incredibly-biased-left-wing-poll-comes-out”.

mitchellvii on May 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM

This issue is going to destroy your party. Every time a thread of this nature is posted, you all go out of your way to tip toe around what you say you believe in and then throw another Conservative poster under your big republican bus.

Be sure to pidgeon hole them into that “usual supects” category too. It makes the conversation complete.

hawkdriver on May 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

This a poll with a 10 point, D/R advantage even greater than in 2008, bogus much,

narciso on May 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Poll(WaPost): Opposition to gay marriage drops to new low after Obama’s announcement

Let BigSven explain:

MSM thinks all Americans are idiots, and will buy anything MSM reports so long as it is packaged correctly.

Packaging Methods of deceiving, swaying, and lying to the Public:

–results of “polls”…

–governmental reports say….

–scientific studies prove…

–pencil-necked, PhD University geek-squad scientists swear that…

–three dozen white lab-coats can’t be wrong about…

Point being:….YOU ARE BEING MANIPULATED WITH THIS WA-POST POLL!!! It’s what MSM does

BigSven on May 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I believe “gay marriage” is now Oldspeak, and that the proper form has become “same sex” or “same-sex”, which for all purposes is one word. People didn’t like gay marriage, but they’re OK with same-sex marriage. What’s a little lie between comrades?

claudius on May 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I am going to add to the defense of Jetboy. I totally agree with Rebar on gay marriage, BUT I agree with Jet boy on most things. I think that for the most part that Jet boy is conservative, but gay marriage is a personal issue for him making that one issue an anomaly in his conservatism cred…

melle1228 on May 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Put it to a vote. These liberals use lies as the basis of their whole ideology…

frizzbee on May 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Only 109 posts and already into the Top Picks.

AP – it’s time to come out.

CorporatePiggy on May 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Agree. I just assume he is gay at this point.

Minimal interest for this topic, yet Allah keeps pumping it.

Norwegian on May 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM

And honestly, I don’t give a rat’s arse what you’re opinion of me is

Ditto.

JetBoy on May 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM

You keep calling me a “liar”, yet provide no examples where I’ve lied.

Fact is, homosexual “marriage” is a radical left wing agenda item, and it’s you and those like you who dress it up with conservative buzzwords, and expect real conservatives to swoon over your pig with lipstick – there’s the biggest lie of all.

As far as me “speaking for all conservatives”, it clear that the vast majority of Hot Air folks are against homosexual marriage, and if the “powers that be” put up a poll, I doubt one in 20 would go your way.

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Oh yeah:

JetBoy on May 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM

I did a google search for the last month.

Plain vanilla conservative posts? Zero.

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 1:45 PM

1. Then you didn’t search properly. The following entered into google:

site:hotair.com “jetboy on”

…with a 1-month refinement yields several non-gay topics, though admittedly the majority of results are on gay topics. Extend the search further back and you’ll find JB to be far more active on other topics. I’d attribute this to the decline of the site, as I’ve been less active in the last couple of years, as well.

2. Oddly enough, I decided to search for your posts on HotAir between its open in 2006 and late spring of 2009, three years later. Total results? Four. Jetboy’s are about 60 times that during the same timeframe…and most of them aren’t gay topics.

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM

1) The “non gay topics” that I saw were of the “dude” variety which were neither here nor there.

2) I never claimed to be on Hot Air from when it opened. I also remember that from the time I started following Hot Air until the time of an open registration was a considerable stretch of time.

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM

What is with this obsession with polls? Enough.

SukieTawdry on May 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM

could this be a contrived poll to keep african-americans (blacks, people of color, insert hippest new term here ->___________) from wandering off Massa’ Obama’s plantation over support for homosexuality?

olesparkie on May 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You claimed to be an “old-timer”. And so you were. Then you didn’t comment again for a few years.

I’m not trying to pin you into a corner or anything. I’m trying to give you perspective. During those years you weren’t active, both I and JetBoy were agreeing on a lot and arguing on other things, but mostly agreeing on the whole span of issues from a conservative viewpoint. Several people have noted the same.

So, just to finish this up, please knock off the “you’re lying about being a conservative” crap with JetBoy, myself, and anyone else. As I said, it’s cheap, it doesn’t win arguments, and in both our cases, untrue.

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I will concede that JetBoy’s posts in the past seemed more conservative. In fact, I remember when he used to think that federalism should rule and states decide on the issue.

I also vividly remember the post where he pulled a 180 and demanded the federal government impose nationwide homosexual marriage by judicial fiat. It went downhill from there.

You must concede that the JetBoy of the last few months are a lot different than the JetBoy of yore. One might posit, in good faith, that he was taken by the “dark side” and has become little more than a homosexual marriage shill, despite his past.

Is he still a conservative? Perhaps, depending on how you define it. But you wouldn’t know it, looking at the last half year or so.

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Last week I saw two polls on gay marriage…one said that 38% said gay marriage should be legal and another said that 51% said it should be legal…so who knows?

As for Obama’s influence..I don’t think that is what is happening. I just think that as time passes more people are resigned to the idea and many of them really do not care..they have other things on their minds.

Also, I saw a Gallup poll yesterday that said that only 41% of Americans now considered themselves pro choice…the lowest ever.

So, maybe Obama’s influence is not all that big a deal.

Terrye on May 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Well, it could be a libertarian attitude. Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit has always been supportive of things like legalized drugs and gay marriage, but he is not a liberal. He can not stand Obama.

Terrye on May 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Well, it could be a libertarian attitude.

Terrye on May 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

A libertarian would be arguing for states to decide for themselves.

Shoving homosexual marriage on the states through judicial fiat, invalidating their constitutions – that’s pure totalitarian progressivism.

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM

JB goes wacko on his pet issue. With all due respect, I think you both do.

I do, as well. I personally would like to see nearly all gun control laws struck down, allowing people to carry fully-automatic weapons without a license or permit. I also think felons should retain their Second Amendment rights. Some people on this board…conservatives…think I’m a nutjob on the issue. Well…it’s kinda true. I think you can find such an issue with just about anyone who is passionate about politics.

…whatever that issue is, however, doesn’t determine the totality of their ideology. That can only be demonstrated over time, and understanding how a person views the world. Like I said before, your ideology is as much to do with your views on the issues as it does with how you live your life. I’ve noticed since I was a teenager that I could generally tell whether someone was liberal or conservative based on how they carried themselves, how they talked to other people, and how they solved problems. I’ve been a conservative all my life, but I have come to hate many liberals less for their opinions than for their lazy, immature, selfish attitudes.

And I’ll stand with both you and JetBoy before I’ll ever stand with one of those pukes.

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Rebar on May 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM

blink on May 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I don’t think you’re “a y9kel” either, Rebar. Learn to scroll on by some here.

Lourdes on May 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Rebar on May 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Lourdes on May 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Sure it’s getting more popular! That’s why it keeps get voted down every time it’s on the ballot.

JellyToast on May 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

In the public discourse, proponents of this use the “annoying you until you cave in” tactic. Comment after comment ridiculing, then attacking and maligning, then complaining and more of the first two, from proponents who are as intolerant a bunch as ever I’ve witnessed.

A lot of people consider marriage to be a religious and legal relationship between one man and one woman. All the demands for “alternatives” by some won’t change that.

And, of course, progressives — to include the homosexual activism demanding “alternatives” — have been working our educational system for a while now and have reduced marriage to a concept of “sameness”, and removed the religious aspects of marriage by claiming they represent “being unfair” and “prejudice” and various other malignments of other people’s religious beliefs and principles.

I’m not surprised that, with the reduction in regard for religious liberty taking place, that progressives are attacking all relationships that are rooted in the religious. Marriage is a cornerstone of civilization, so of course it’s a target.

If people engaged in homosexual acts are quite so intolerant of marriage as it’s known to be, why do they demand to engage in it “alternatively”? So they can change the concept of what marriage is, that’s why.

Legally, this is up to states to decide. Though I do recognize a federal impact by which state’s decisions for their own populations would need to be capable of being coordinated with others.

Lourdes on May 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM

New Low? No, Down Low.

Bulletchaser on May 26, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Gives new meaning to the old nursery rhyme…

Baa baa black sheep.

Nice to know you stand firm on your convictions.

kbTexan on May 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM