Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on May 23, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

If you think life is tough, Chicagoans, just consider the hard life of … Barack Obama.  Angry that the NATO conference tied up traffic for hours?  That’s nothing, says President Obama.  Why, he had it so tough that he had to stay at a five-star hotel.  And for that, Chicago should be grateful, Obama explained (video at the link):

“The only other thing I’ll say about this is, thank you to everybody who endured the traffic situation. Obviously, Chicago residents who had difficulties getting home or getting to work or what have you, you know, that’s — what can I tell you? That’s part of the price of being a world city,” President Obama said at a news conference at the NATO summit in Chicago.

“But this was a great showcase. And if it makes those folks feel any better, despite being 15 minutes away from my house, nobody would let me go home. I was thinking I would be able to sleep in my own bed tonight. They said I would cause even worse traffic so I ended up staying at a hotel, which contributes to the Chicago economy,” Obama said on Monday afternoon.

So if you’re stuck in traffic, well, c’est la vie en les grandes villes.  A couple of nights in a swanky hotel?  That’s true sacrifice, and not just sacrifice, but a boon to the economy, too!

Anyone in Chicago “feel any better” now, knowing of their leader’s great sacrifices on their behalf?

Comments

I’m in Chicago, and I left town during NATO, I didn’t even want to be in the same state. Hope he goes back to Hawaii when he loses.

Meh.

ABO2012

herm2416 on May 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM

awwwww poor baby

cmsinaz on May 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Many a time I’ve found myself stuck in I35 or I94 traffic trying to get home from the south metro, and instead of enduring it I simply rent the penthouse suite at the downtown Marriot and stay there for the night.

Bishop on May 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM

He is such a jerk.

celtic warrior on May 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM

In other words, you should be thanking him, Chicago. Just like you will thank him for that Olympic Park that is being built for the 2016 Olymp…..er, wait one sec….

ted c on May 23, 2012 at 8:08 AM

There are many of us who want you to go home Mr. President. I’m sure there are flights daily from O’hare to Nairobi.

Happy Nomad on May 23, 2012 at 8:09 AM

This man endures such hardship for us. I can’t imagine the sacrifice he’s made for the nation’s sake. He’s given so much. Ok, gotta stop now I’m making myself sick.

Oldnuke on May 23, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I see a Nobel prize in this man’s future for literacy… TOTUS must be very sad.

VietVet_Dave on May 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM

It’s like George Will just wrote about. If you remove “I” from his vocabulary, he has nothing to say.

itsnotaboutme on May 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Nothing will ever top corpse-men.

stout77 on May 23, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Didn’t he do the same in LA because he wanted to drive to his fundraisers during rush hour traffic?

joekenha on May 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

sad, out of touch, would be elitist.

just a pathetic excuse for a preezy. and human being.

November is how many days away?

GrassMudHorsey on May 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

My son works in the service industry in Chicago. (Actually, he’s a writer, he just plays a bartender to make a living.) The restaurants and bars took a huge hit during a beautiful sunny weekend in Chicago. The international elite “sacrificed” in five star hotels while many Chicagoans sacrificed a quarter of their living expenses for the month.

Fallon on May 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Hope he goes back to Hawaii when he loses.

herm2416 on May 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Or, Indonesia. Whatever.

Fallon on May 23, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Nothing will ever top corpse-men.

stout77 on May 23, 2012 at 8:14 AM

That’s what an Ivy League education gets you.

Happy Nomad on May 23, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I can’t for the life of me figure out why they hold these confabs in any civilized city. They could rent out a cruise ship and enjoy all the luxury these sponges can soak up without inconveniencing any one unnecessarily.

I’ll be the guy renting out leaky boats to all the wannabe anarchists and let them #occupydaveyjoneslocker

CitizenEgg on May 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM

You know what is really off-putting about this for me? The very idea that anybody would give a rodent’s behind whether he spends the night in the home bought with mafia money or a posh downtown hotel.

Happy Nomad on May 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM

This is particularly good. He’s so off-hand in his arrogance.

Yeah folks…what have you…me, me, me…yuck yuck.

What a nebbish.

CorporatePiggy on May 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Oldnuke on May 23, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Then lets do the poor man a favor and give him a retirement party. Then send him home.

January 2013…so close, yet so far…

cozmo on May 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM

That’s actually a brilliant idea.

CitizenEgg on May 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM

That kind of talk can get you arrested.

itsnotaboutme on May 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM

By Obama’s logic, the OWS protesters should break as many windows as possible to stimulate the glaziers.

Adjoran on May 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM

CitizenEgg on May 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Good idea, but better yet, why not skype? Save everyone a lot of money.

karenhasfreedom on May 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I was thinking I would be able to sleep in my own bed tonight

……in November JugEars…in November… we hope to make sure you get to sleep in it every night! You’ll get to walk over to Bill Ayers for kool-aid, and sit in Rev. Wrights pews again.

KOOLAID2 on May 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Oh, the poor bastard.

President Wrecked’em’s sacrifices makes my problems seem so insignificant.

franksalterego on May 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM

What a blessing to have him in office. Birds sing, clouds roll away…..it’s like living in MagicLand.

Smooches from Possum Holler to the greatest Administration in American History.

PappyD61 on May 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM

CitizenEgg on May 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM

That kind of talk can get you arrested

Heh. If I promise not to talk smack about Obama I should be okay.

CitizenEgg on May 23, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Not sure I could keep that promise though. He is, after all a SCOAMF

CitizenEgg on May 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM

“… That’s part of the price of being a world city,” President Obama said at a news conference at the NATO summit in Chicago.

This isn’t the first time that Obama has said something that I interpret as his desire to see Chicago as a “world city”, more important than Washington, D.C.

Are the following just coincidental?

June 12, 2008
Obama moves DNC operations to Chicago

In a major shakeup at the Democratic National Committee — and a departure from tradition — large parts of the committee’s operations are relocating to Chicago to be fully integrated with the Obama campaign.

The DNC’s political department, housed in Washington, D.C., will be dramatically rebuilt, with staffers offered a choice of moving to Chicago, joining state operations, or staying in Washington, DNC spokeswoman Karen Finney said.

But the power will clearly be shifting to a centralized Chicago hub.

“An Olympics in Chicago will be a capstone of the success we’ve had over the last couple of decades in transforming Chicago into not just becoming a great American city but a great world city,’’ said Obama. “Not just a city that works but a city that is inspired, a city that is creative, a city that is about change, a city that’s about the 21st century, that reflects the diversity that is the strength of America.”

I would not be surprised if Obama wanted to make Chicago the Capital of the United Socialist States of Amerika.

Remember…

Founded in Chicago in 1919, the Communist Party of the United States has an outstanding history in the struggles for peace, democratic rights, racial and gender equality, economic justice, union organization, and international solidarity. Our Party is organized on the principle of democratic centralism, combining maximum democratic discussion and decision-making with maximum unity of will and action, ensuring our ability to play a strong organizing role in the class struggle. We focus our efforts on increasing our ability to organize millions into struggle, fighting anti-communism as a divisive weapon of the capitalist class. With Marxism-Leninism guiding our actions, the Communist Party strives to build the broadest unity against global capitalist imperialism now headed by U.S. imperialism, for immediate gains and reforms that benefit working people, and for a progressive democratization of the government, the economy, and society of our country on the road to and after winning socialism.

With pride in our past and confidence in our future, we hereby establish this Constitution of the Communist Party of the United States America.

ITguy on May 23, 2012 at 8:38 AM

when its about you, its really about me, because if there is one thing that I love to talk about, I love to talk about me.

ted c on May 23, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Cap’t Kick*ss Obama The Obliterate’r,totally Oblivous,
slowy sending his base,into Political
Oblivion!!
(snark)

canopfor on May 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Bishop on May 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Me too. Can’t count the number of times I’ve been so frustrated by congested traffic conditions that I just instruct my limo driver to pull into the parking lot of the nearest Loew’s luxury resort and take over a few of the top floors, until I feel myself sufficiently rested to face the ordeal of traffic again . . . .

Poor preezy. I feel so sorry for him and his many troubles.

AZCoyote on May 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM

a NATO conference in Chicago is an intelligence boon for people whom we don’t want to know things about NATO, if you get my drift.

*transmit this to Vladimir for me*

ted c on May 23, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Reading this section ticks me off…I don’t know why I do it, every day he shows what a fool he is, but even worse, I look around and see really nice people supporting this fool, and it is depressing.

right2bright on May 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM

So if you’re stuck in traffic, well, c’est la vie en les grandes villes. A couple of nights in a swanky hotel? That’s true sacrifice, and not just sacrifice, but a boon to the economy, too!

Anyone in Chicago “feel any better” now, knowing of their [Dear] leader’s great sacrifices on their behalf?

Excellent, Ed!

You were just missing one word, so I took the liberty of adding it to the quote above…

ITguy on May 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM

right2bright on May 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM

“You will not disrespect the President of the United States in this classroom!”

And then there are some that are too far gone..

Electrongod on May 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM

The worst thing was the presidential suite only has nine holes.

NoDonkey on May 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM

*transmit this to Vladimir for me*

ted c on May 23, 2012 at 8:41 AM

ted c:If you insist!:)
======================

NATO summit: ‘President’s articulation of Pakistan position led to clarity’
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
************************

canopfor on May 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Pathetic.

rbj on May 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

And then there are some that are too far gone..

Electrongod on May 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM

No doubt…the saving grace, is name is not talked about on the streets, supporters are embarrassed, at least the “smart” ones are.

right2bright on May 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

so I ended up staying at a hotel, which contributes to the Chicago economy

That’s why lavish conferences to Vegas and Hawaii are so important for federal employees, too.

Stimulus.

hit and run on May 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM

This time next year:

4:35am. Alarm clock rings. Get up to start the day. Fleeting thought about 0bama. In the fugue of morning, I think to myself…”It was all a crappy nightmare!”

After the initial disappointment at the realization it wasn’t a nightmare….I smile at the thought that 0bama is not sleeping in the White House nor cavorting on Air Force One. Soon.

freedomfirst on May 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Obama continues his flip-floppery from woebegone warbler to fancy-schmancy big spender.

It depends on his audience. Man is a playah.

P.S.: the above is not complimentary.

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM

right2bright on May 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I’ve decided they aren’t really all that nice, and that includes close friends of mine.

They all want things that aren’t theirs, from other people. I may still have them as friends, but it is a definite character flaw.

Alana on May 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM

What a dick.

mchristian on May 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Just how often has he stayed in his house in the past 3 1/2 years? What a liar we have as a President. That was my problem with Clinton, he bald-faced lied to the American people.

Mitoch55 on May 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I was thinking I would be able to sleep in my own bed tonight

World’s tiniest violin a’playin’…

Meanwhile, the question remains, with all his leisure-needs-and-taking, as with his family’s, why haven’t any of them or all of them gone back to their “own beds” for so much as one week or a holiday break or even an overnighter? Four years on and they haven’t even gone back there to mow the lawn or pick up the trash or hug a stuffed animal in a bedroom or check out the fridge.

I bet they don’t even know where the keys to their/Rezko’s house is.

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

ITguy on May 23, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Haven’t you heard? After he’s crowned, he’ll have more flexibility.

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Obama had to stay in a swanky hotel????

What??

No available rooms in Altgeld Gardens for the famous former community organizer???

You’d think the Altgeld Gardens residents would be grateful as all get out to have Obama come “home” for a few days…

…instead of going “home” to that elitist Kenwwood community.

Obama…still a putz.

coldwarrior on May 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I was thinking I would be able to sleep in my own bed tonight

That’s right, clown. The one in the WH belongs to us!

freedomfirst on May 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM

As my friend KOOLAID2 has stated…….
Don’t worry your little behind Herr O, you can spend as much time as you want at home after January ……….

angrymike on May 23, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I wonder what he would have said if it had been a Tea Party meeting instead of the nuts.

Cindy Munford on May 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I hope that Comrade Barry found time to bathe at Man’s Country while in town.

joe btfsplk on May 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM

The worst thing was the presidential suite only has nine holes.

NoDonkey on May 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Not counting Reggie’s of course.

Nutstuyu on May 23, 2012 at 9:17 AM

MarketWatch rewrites history …

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch)
But it didn’t happen. Although there was a big stimulus bill under Obama, federal spending is rising at the slowest pace since Dwight Eisenhower brought the Korean War to an end in the 1950s.
Even hapless Herbert Hoover managed to increase spending more than Obama has.
Here are the facts, according to the official government statistics:
• In the 2009 fiscal year — the last of George W. Bush’s presidency — federal spending rose by 17.9% from $2.98 trillion to $3.52 trillion. Check the official numbers at the Office of Management and Budget.

Except the FY 2009 budget wasn’t Bush’s, the Congress held it up with continuing resolutions until Obama was sworen in

J_Crater on May 23, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Prezzy could have gone home and slept in his own bed. Has he even been to that house in years? He could have cooked a hot dog on the grill and some FFs since Mooch wasn’t around. Does he know how to use a grill? Bet he can’t take care of himself without staff telling him what to do or doing it for him.

Kissmygrits on May 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I was hoping the O of the day would be the pic of him throwing the football at the Bears home field while looking up at himself on the jumbo-tron. ‘Man, I look better than Manning.’

Kissmygrits on May 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Thw mullah thinks he is Allah’s gift to mankind.

Sticky Wicket on May 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM

What a pathetic fool.

Xyz22 on May 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Pompousness has no boundaries.

hillsoftx on May 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Did Tom Bodett leave the light on for him?

Xyz22 on May 23, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Kissmygrits on May 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Yeah, that photo is a classic among classics. Really telling, no doubt about it.

HotAir needs to post it as a Pix O’ The Day or something…

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Adjoran on May 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM

SHHHH!!! PLEASE don’t give them any ideas!

Maddie on May 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Lest anyone hasn’t seen this ghastly display yet, here it is — make sure and scroll throughout/down this post because it’ll become clear as you do just what this latest posing by Obama is all about: himself.

White House Photo Op: Preezy Obama throws a football for the camera after NATO function

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Well, all of you should be arrested, because according to Renowned World Citizen & Intellectual Heavyweight Betty White, Preezy SippyCup “represents” us very well.

/s

SnarkySam on May 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Ooowwee – Imagine if the Olympics were held in Chicago!

askwhatif on May 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM

But look how he is holding up a person in his right hand!!

askwhatif on May 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM

…who had difficulties getting home or getting to work or what have you, you know, that’s — what can I tell you?, I am the greatest-est orator in the world!!!

– O

askwhatif on May 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I was thinking I would be able to sleep in my own bed tonight

KOOLAID2 on May 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Didn’t I hear he was looking into a swank estate in CT?
Only ~$15 million.
It’s nice to buy a house to match your SSN. I bet all the sacrificers do.

askwhatif on May 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM

No doubt Barry welcomed the chance to have a sleep-over @ Man’s Country.

BHO Jonestown on May 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM

He really does like those ‘weiner dogs’.
(Yeah, I went there. But it never gets old)

askwhatif on May 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

ted c on May 23, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Ditto²
The guy is toxic. Oh, but did you know he won the Nobel Peace Prize?
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on May 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Fallon on May 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I gather he’s not a fan of the Occupy anarchists.

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

O did go back once early on to take the girls trick or treating. That may have been the same time he and rode his bike sporting his mom jeans.

Buy Danish on May 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

What a dick.

mchristian on May 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Well said.

Eviva on May 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM

“And if it makes those folks feel any better, despite being 15 minutes away from my house, nobody would let me go home. I was thinking I would be able to sleep in my own bed tonight. They said I would cause even worse traffic so I ended up staying at a hotel, which contributes to the Chicago economy.”

Got Cake?

mrt721 on May 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM

New slogan – Are you the President? No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn.

djaymick on May 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

“But this was a great showcase. And if it makes those folks feel any better, despite being 15 minutes away from my house, nobody would let me go home. I was thinking I would be able to sleep in my own bed tonight.”

Awwwwwww, poor widdle Bawack.

Tell you what…you could sleep in your own bed in Rezko’s mansion in Chicago EVERY night starting January 20, 2013. You’ll even have more time for important things, like golf.

Steve Z on May 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM

If he really threw the football holding it like that, it would have traveled about 10 yards: straight up, and would have landed on his proudly inclined chin. Now THAT would be something to see!

I’ve seen better football throws out of Sean Hannity.

Where’s a good hard-hitting linebacker when you need him?

Steve Z on May 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Buy Danish on May 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Oh, that’s right, I remember that ONE return visit he made to “his own bed” back in Chicago, from whence we now have those “BO ON THE GIRL’S BIKE” photos. Thanks reminding me, now I’ll have to go wash my eyes out… ;}

But isn’t that his one and only “trip to his own bed” he’s made in the last four years or so? Not as if he doesn’t have a lot time for a lot of lengthy vacations. One wonders why he seems to go as far as possible away from where “his own bed” is.

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I was thinking I would be able to sleep in my own bed tonight

KOOLAID2 on May 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Didn’t I hear he was looking into a swank estate in CT?
Only ~$15 million.
It’s nice to buy a house to match your SSN. I bet all the sacrificers do.

askwhatif on May 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM

@ askwhatif — that estate in CT is the former place of famed Socialist, Kathryn Hepburn.

It’s in Old Saybrook, CT on Long Island Sound, priced at “$18 Million” per this article.

Maybe Obama is anticipating wearing her gowns while he’s relaxing at home after the White House. “Call me Barry Hepburn.”

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Here’s another article about the same property, with photos of the place, while it’s priced in this article at “$28 Million.”

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

*yawn*

Tim_CA on May 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Was Michelle with him in that 5 star hotel?

OxyCon on May 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Was Michelle with him in that 5 star hotel?

OxyCon on May 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I wondered who might be with him. Easier to get someone into a hotel than a Hyde Park mansion.

pablo5108 on May 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM

That’s true sacrifice, and not just sacrifice, but a boon to the economy, too!

…at taxpayers’ expense. May his azz itch until he suffocates, from hypocrisy alone.

Schadenfreude on May 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Wyle E. 0bama
Super Genius

jukin3 on May 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

By the way Ed, I like the new illustration for this thread. It captures Obama’s arrogance perfectly.

karenhasfreedom on May 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Bishop on May 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Staying at a Marriott Hotel might cause Pres. Obama some significant cognitive dissonance:

Mormons have been demonized as being anti-gay and even homophobic, yet Marriott International — run by one of the most prominent Mormons in the country — is trying to expand their clientele by marketing specifically to lesbians, gay, bisexuals, and transsexuals (LGBT).

What to do, what to do …

AesopFan on May 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM

His hotel stay helped the Chicago economy? How much did the taxpayers in Chicago have to pay for all the police overtime?

Colony14 on May 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM