Free speech moment: Standing with Stacy McCain, Patterico, Liberty Chick, and Aaron Walker

posted at 10:41 am on May 23, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I know what it’s like to find out that you’ve been targeted for violence — real violence, as in being targeted for death by an extremist who has picked out his target based on nothing more than writing about politics.  My situation got resolved, fortunately, but my life has not been quite the same since.  I had the good fortune of having friends who quietly made sure that my family had the security we needed for me to continue my work in American politics.

Looks like that time has come around for some of our friends in the blogosphere.  Aaron Walker, Patterico, Liberty Chick, and Stacy McCain have written extensively about a man named Brett Kimberlin and connections to violent political action.  I have only followed the story at a distance, and don’t hold myself out to be an expert on the subject.  The result of their investigations has prompted a flurry of legal harassment in some cases, and worse in others.  Today, the Boss Emeritus — who knows a thing or two about Unhinged reaction to free speech — rallies the blogosphere in defense of our friends:

Over the past year, Aaron Walker (who blogged as “Aaron Worthing”)PattericoLiberty Chick, and now Stacy McCain have been targeted by convicted Speedway bomber Brett Kimberlin because they dared to mention his criminal past or assisted others who did. The late Andrew Breitbart warned about Kimberlin and company.

I have spoken directly with both Patterico and Aaron about their ongoing battles.

The mainstream press, not just the conservative blogosphere, needs to hear and report their stories.

This is a convoluted, ongoing nightmare that combines abuse of the court system, workplace intimidation, serial invasions of privacy, perjury, and harassment of family members. McCain was forced to move with his family out of his house this week, and has just gotten a small taste of what Aaron and Patterico have been enduring over the past year. Aaron and his wife were fired from their jobs after their employer feared the office would be targeted next. Convicted bomber Kimberlin has filed bogus “peace orders” against Aaron, when it is the Walkers who are the victims, not the perpetrators.

And Patterico’s plight will send chills up your spine when he is ready to tell it.

Institutional inertia, incompetence, and apathy among law enforcement officials on both coasts have exacerbated the victims’ suffering. It has moved far beyond a partisan or political story to a bottomless, Kafka-esque morass. And, via investigative journalist Matthew Vadum, it certainly doesn’t help that “progressive,” left-wing foundations that have funded Kimberlin continue to look the other way.

Ted Frank at Point of Law summed it up: “A scary tale of what can go wrong if one makes the wrong enemy of someone willing to persistently abuse the civil and criminal legal system, and how poorly the legal system protects those victims.”

Stacy has had to take his family out of their house in order to protect them, at least for a while.  It’s no blogospheric secret that Stacy and I have had our differences, but I still count Stacy as a friend and hope he does the same, and no one should have to leave their home in fear simply for engaging in political debate.  I hit his tip jar yesterday to help in some small way to defray his travel expenses, and I’d encourage everyone else to do the same.

What else can we do?  First, read all of Michelle’s post to get a sense of what the story and its impact actually is.  Write about it or don’t, depending on how much focus you believe the story deserves, but try to post something about what these bloggers are enduring — if not on a blog, then on Twitter, Facebook, or other social media channels.  At some point, we all need our friends to have our backs.  I’ve already been there, and believe me, it’s a lonely place until they arrive.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good grief, this turd Kimberlin sounds like the Michael Keaton character in Pacific Heights.

Purple Fury on May 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Good on ya Ed.

29Victor on May 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I’m no fan of McCain’s, either…but this slimebag Kimberlin needs to be locked away for a good, long time.

You just know that, out there, somewhere…Bill Ayers is watching this douchebag work with pride and envy.

MadisonConservative on May 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I remember skimming a post about this a while back. I didn’t realize it was this serious. I need to really read up on it.

joekenha on May 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Thanks, Ed and Michelle. It’s great that the bigger sites are going on this.
As a non-blogger, I plan to do what I can do on twitter.

juliesa on May 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM

…good for you Ed!…counting on the Main Street media though isn’t going anywhere though…unless they are threatened…then it’s 24/7 reporting about the freedom of the press until infinity… or the goofs are in jail

KOOLAID2 on May 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Good post Ed.
We are blessed to be able to call you friend, and I am sure Aaron Walker, Patterico, Liberty Chick, and Stacy McCain feel the same.

JusDreamin on May 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

And, via investigative journalist Matthew Vadum, it certainly doesn’t help that “progressive,” left-wing foundations that have funded Kimberlin continue to look the other way.

No longer just digital brown shirts, the Left employs real ones now. Very ugly.

rbj on May 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

So where is this puke, and what’s he look like today? It’s the only information that matters. Who’ll post it?

Abiss on May 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I’ve been following this story at Patterico’s blog. Ed, thanks for shining a light on it.

aunursa on May 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM

by Ed Morrissey

I know what it’s like to find out that you’ve been targeted for violence — real violence, as in being targeted for death by an extremist who has picked out his target based on nothing more than writing about politics. My situation got resolved, fortunately, but my life has not been quite the same since. I had the good fortune of having friends who quietly made sure that my family had the security we needed for me to continue my work in American politics.

Wow, this is something that we share in common Ed, and I can really feel for you for what you went through. Back in 2000 I wrote an article for ZDNet opposing Napster, I owned a small Independent Record company at the time. For this sin against the digital revolution I received literally hundreds of thousands of hate e-mails including ten’s of thousands of death threat’s and had people actually track down my address and come by my house and physically threaten me.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM

How about standing with S.E. Cupp?

NickDeringer on May 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Is S.E. Cupp’s wife being harassed at work by a violent criminal?

Have a little bit of perspective why don’t you?

NotCoach on May 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I’m deeply sorry Ed, that you, Michelle and all the other have to endure threats like this.

It’s a disgrace the old media isn’t covering it.

dogsoldier on May 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Abiss on May 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM

This. People need to know who this guy is. He needs to become the new face of the left.

CurtZHP on May 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Is S.E. Cupp’s wife being harassed at work by a violent criminal?

Have a little bit of perspective why don’t you?

NotCoach on May 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM

SE Cupp is a woman… And a married one at that.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM

This won’t happen, but the lefty sites should join in on this too. But it won’t happen. I’m pretty sure one reason this guy is able to get away with these things is he’s a leftist. The blue states in which he operates are less likely to go after a big time lefty activist with DNC connections. If this guy were a tea partier, he’d be in jail.

juliesa on May 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

The sad truth of ‘why’ we are ‘WHERE’ we are…

Conservatives have has the most reasoned and the most fact-based ideas—- but that’s where it ends. Cuz we’re too busy being ‘responsible’…to be bothered to get off our a$$es, and take action.

And I saw some conservative throw a liberal hissy-fit over this piece—but it’s true.
IF CONSERVATIVES WERE AS SMART AS THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE— THEY’D STILL BE IN CHARGE.

deedtrader on May 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM

SE Cupp is a woman… And a married one at that.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I know S.E. Cupp is a woman for Fluke’s sake.

/facepalm

NotCoach on May 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You mean there’s only one of them? One homicidal loon? Can’t be.
If you review some of the leftist sites, not quite below the surface the boiling aggression is obvious. It is encouraged by our media as well as the people mentioned in this report. The loon in question is not alone, just more open. Be prepared, it could be one helluva election this year.

arand on May 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Abiss on May 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM

dogsoldier on May 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I have been reading about these developments for a while now and it is only good that Hot Air is adding to the publicity of this situation.

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM

This guy definitely has a napoleonic complex. Watching the Stranahan video, it’s obvious he is only about 5′ 5″ at most and a little weaselly guy at that.

It’s not surprising that the left loves him. He’s the Bill Ayers of this era. I’m surprised he isn’t a close personal friend of Obama.

Monkeytoe on May 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM

And I hope that Ms. Barbra Streisand reads all this news…

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Violent stalkers are scary. CCW is my antidote.

Uh huh. Sure.

Also “tens” is not possessive. You lie better than you spell.

Capitalist Hog on May 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM

This is just another typical example of the incompetence of our justice system. Brett Kimberlin was sentenced to 50 years, but he served less than half of that. Why?

RebeccaH on May 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM

“…Ted Frank at Point of Law summed it up: “A scary tale of what can go wrong if one makes the wrong enemy of someone willing to persistently abuse the civil and criminal legal system, and how poorly the legal system protects those victims.”

That’s an important notice because it’s all too easy to overlook or not be mindful that internet use is entirely public. Meaning, one has no control over just who may read and abuse what is written and who writes it.

Lourdes on May 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM

The more sane leftist bloggers (pretty much oxymoronic,I know) should be pressured into getting involved in this as well

beedubya on May 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Violent stalkers are scary. CCW is my antidote.

Uh huh. Sure.

Also “tens” is not possessive. You lie better than you spell.

Capitalist Hog on May 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM

A) CCW’s are next to impossible to get here in California

B) I’m not lying or exaggerating and even provided a link to the article.

Though the comment’s to the article have since been purged they at one time ran well over a quarter of a million comments. If you weren’t around for the Napster controversy it’s easy to see how you might not understand.

At it’s height in popularity Napster had over 50 million users and in 2000 blog’s were barely getting started and ZDNet was one of the largest and most popular websites on the internet.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM

You lie better than you spell.

Capitalist Hog on May 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM

A) CCW’s are next to impossible to get here in California

B) I’m not lying or exaggerating and even provided a link to the article.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM

But thank you for publicly calling me a liar. Yes, that’s sarcasm for the intellectually challenged.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Hey, Rogue Tomato,

What, are you, scared shitless?

Allahs vulva on May 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Though the comment’s

That’s called a greengrocer’s apostrophe for those interested.

vityas on May 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Though the comment’s

That’s called a greengrocer’s apostrophe for those interested.

vityas on May 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Grammar Nazi’s…

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM

You lie better than you spell.

Capitalist Hog on May 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM

A) CCW’s are next to impossible to get here in California

B) I’m not lying or exaggerating and even provided a link to the article.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Oh, and as for calling people you don’t know on the internet a liar, how utterly Kimberlinish of you.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Ed, a nice, concise contact list of those individuals or organizations that support this a$$wipes non-profit would be nice. Let’s see how they justify sending money to a conviceted felon, admitted tax cheat, violent sociopath.

JusDreamin on May 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

No wonder Allahpundit hides his identity.

itsnotaboutme on May 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Ed, a nice, concise contact list of those individuals or organizations

JusDreamin on May 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

OK, get busy on that, JD.

itsnotaboutme on May 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM

JusDreamin on May 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

A frightening percentage of the committed liberals both can and will justify it solely on the basis that he is attacking Republicans and conservatives whom they believe are the incarnation of everything evil and fully deserve to be attacked and in some cases even assaulted or killed purely on the basis of their conservative leanings.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM

McCain, Patterico, et al should go for a RICO prosecution and civil action against those funding the harassment.

BDaddyLiberator on May 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM

No wonder Allahpundit hides his identity.

itsnotaboutme on May 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Oh, you have no idea. Before Michelle Malkin brought Allahpundit here to Hot Air he was an aggressive opponent of Islamic extremism and exposed many Islamic organizations for their active support of violent Jihad. Yes, Allahpundit does need to retain his anonymity.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM

doing what I can too.
can’t post on Malkin site so cannot add voice there though.

dmacleo on May 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

All I can do is laugh at this. Family in hiding? Crushing of free speech? This guy isn’t all powerful and the reaction to his idiocy is too over-the-top for me.

If he’s really threatening you to the point you have to go into hiding, call the cops, file a lawsuit, and buy a gun. Otherwise, it looks like a publicity stunt.

TheLastBrainLeft on May 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM

doing what I can too.
can’t post on Malkin site so cannot add voice there though.

dmacleo on May 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I’ll drop this post off over there for you.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM

All I can do is laugh at this.

TheLastBrainLeft on May 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I’m glad you find this funny. There are a lot of people in Speedway, Indiana and elsewhere who aren’t exactly laughing along with you.

UltimateBob on May 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Abiss on May 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM

There are some (old) photos and links in an article at “The Other McCain.”

Brett Kimberlin also has a facebook page, although most of the information is marked private.

There are addresses listed here and here.

What goes around comes around.

UltimateBob on May 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

This is indeed scary. Even small time bloggers often get hate mail and threats from the oh so tolerant leftists. This type of intimidation needs to be covered by not just conservative bloggers, but the MSM needs to stand with them. I know it is not going to happen, but in a perfect world, this would be a major story.

simkeith on May 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Been there too, Ed. An experience like this overwhelms your life and changes you forever. My heart goes out to Kimberlin’s targets.

creeper on May 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Ed, you keep yourself safe, you hear!

petefrt on May 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Kimberlin is a jerk, but this all sounds like an elaborate fundraising scheme. Particularly from McCain, who will do anything for traffic and money.

I’m not getting sucked in. Sorry Michelle. This is one thing I will not join you in battle with.

TheLastBrainLeft on May 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

All I can do is laugh at this.

TheLastBrainLeft on May 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM

UltimateBob on May 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Some people actually think they are so strong and tuff that they are invincible. Having never been the victim of a stalker or a terrorist attack they think they can handle any situation that come along. They have zero comprehension of what having an invisible threat suddenly violently and unexpectedly materialize in their face is like. It will change your life forever.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

TheLastBrainLeft on May 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

This isn’t a fundraising stunt, and it didn’t start with Robert Stacy McCain.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Good to see you join the fight!

Mr. Joe on May 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM

TheLastBrainLeft, This is not a fund raising stunt. It is a serious thing. Kimberlin was contacting RSM’s wife’s employer, asking about his children, given Kimberlin’s history this cannot be taken lightly.

Kimberlin is trying to intimidate us. If you do not wish to give to RSM, you do not have to. But my guess is you are of the left and support this sort of nonsense, or consider it rather minor and fair game.

Mr. Joe on May 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM

For some reason, my first post never made it, so trying this again a different way.

Who Is Brett Kimberlin?

Video at link.

GrannyDee on May 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM

All I can do is laugh at this.

TheLastBrainLeft on May 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Hey, that Ted Kaczynski was a real laugh riot too, wasn’t he? My ribs are hurting just laughing along with those people who were killed and maimed as a result of his booby traps! What a good-natured joker he is!

UltimateBob on May 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Posted on 3 PJ alumni forums. Will be forwarded to several other “Operator” forums. Trust me, not the sort of people you want looking for you.

PJ Emeritus on May 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

TheLastBrainLeft on May 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

You may not care for McCain, but come on, man. Patterico and Aaron and Liberty Chick? That’s not their style at all.

either orr on May 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM

If Kimberlin has threatened bodily harm against conservative bloggers, then I’m sure the police have been notified. What are the police saying?

Time Lord on May 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM

This Kimberlin guy sounds like a menace.

Good luck to the bloggers who are standing up to this creep, and shame on the “peace loving” and ever-so-tolerant leftist stooges who are bankrolling this thug.

AZCoyote on May 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM

TheLastBrainLeft on May 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Something tells me that Patterico, a Deputy District Attorney, is not helping to run some sort of scam to help some guy get a few website donations. Feel free to toss logic aside and look like a fool though.

Dawnsblood on May 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Dawnsblood on May 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Something tells me, itsbraindied took his dump here and moved on to take other dumps other places.

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

SWalker on May 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Not around for Napster? Slow down Star Wars Kid. Everybody was there; that’s kinda how p2p works.

Sounds to me like your “threats” were minimal, made by Eminem fanboys. Did you move? Did your family have to split up? Was there follow-up by law-enformcemnt?

Here’s a tip. Next time you write an article that draws a quarter-million comments. Save the pages for your own records.

Capitalist Hog on May 23, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I tried to explain this guy to The Husband but did a poor job. This guy has got to be really gutsy to go after Patterico, isn’t he a lawyer for law enforcement?

Cindy Munford on May 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM

RSM is always transparent about his fund-raising. One of his most popular links promotes his self-promotion. Get a grip.

Capitalist Hog on May 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM

so kimberlin called tough guy/hst-wannabe mccain’s employer, which prompted him to immediately flee maryland?

comedy gold.

sesquipedalian on May 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Lee Stranahan has a pretty good video at his site, too. Also Nice Deb is blogging the issue, as well.

crosspatch on May 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM

@ TheL:astBrainLeft — If you truly are — or have — the Last Brain Left, then you would have googled this guy Kimberlin. And while you are at it look at the background, read what has gone on with the other bloggers — you can start here: http://allergic2bull.blogspot.com/

Go back through thelast several days.

And Streisand, Heinz-Kerry,Soros (well, that’s not so surprising, is it) through the Tides foundation, and Fidelity (!!) have donated to this guy’s 501(c)(3). I suspect most of the “non-profit’s $$ is going to filing suits. (They need to get their status revoked re political involvement, besides.)

The guy’s profile is, quite frankly, very disturbing.

Some countersuits for harassment, (RICO?) and intent to damage, emotional harm as well as financial, are in order.

JAL on May 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’m on it. The Left has used Facebook and Twitter over the past few years to intimidate, harrass and bully conservative thought. They’ve used these platforms to spread lies, promote their agenda and falsely boost issues in the national media.

Its time we strike back.

Stand up for yoru fellow conservatives on Twitter and Facebook. Spread the word. Confront them head on.

Gadsden @gadsdenrattlers on Twitter and on Facebook

GadsdenRattlers on May 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM

comedy gold.

sesquipedalian on May 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Yeah you leftists really showed us who’s boss. This kimberlin guy sounds almost as badass as the occupy wall street guy who crapped on a police car.

Those right-wingers are such pussies – only a complete wimp would move his family in response to harassment by a degenerate leftist terrorist.

RINO in Name Only on May 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

TheLastBrainLeft on May 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM

You really should become acquainted with the facts before making a fool of yourself. Kimberlin is a convicted felon/terrorist bomber. He was found liable in the death of one of his victims who committed suicide after being maimed by one of his bombs (that he planted at a high school in a gym bag, nice guy). He has, of course, weaseled out of paying the widow the millon+ he owes her. He then tracked down Aaron “Worthington” Walker, who blogged pseudonymously at Patterico. After finding where Walker and his wife worked, he harassed them so much they were let go by the law firm because they were worried about being the next target of a bomb. Walker went to court, went to the police, went to the DA. And nobody was interested in bothering with this convicted violent felon. BTW, Walker did buy a gun and mentioned it in his blog, Kimberlin went to court complaining that he was being threatened, and got a Peace Order.

Is any of this sinking in Sparky?

After Walker, he went after Pat Frey (Patterico), but he hasn’t yet revealed what the specifics were. Pat also said Kimberlin tracked down one of his commenters, for Christ’s sake, and harassed him. And of course that brings us to McCain. Where Kimberlin tracked down his wife’s workplace and began the same routine that got Walker and his wife fired. He also mentioned McCain’s kids.

But no, it seems like a total overreaction to me…….

Tomblvd on May 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM

This whole story is epic and surreal. Anyone who hasn’t read up should do so for reasons of solidarity, information, and even entertainment (in a sad, macabre way).

Nessuno on May 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM

comedy gold.

sesquipedalian on May 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

You clearly don’t have even the faintest idea of what is happening. Educate yourself before you beclown yourself further.

Nessuno on May 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Kimberlin should try to “hook-up” with Dr. Deborah Frisch, a professor who threatened to kill Jeff Goldstein of “Protein Wisdom” and his 2 year old, and nonetheless was hired by the U of O. Their offspring could resemble gallstones.

trl on May 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM

That’s the first thing that came to my mind. This guy’s sick, and he knows how to work the system – particularly those parts of the system that really don’t care, as long as you’re on the “correct” side of the political spectrum.

Kimberlin’s Linked-In page found here shows that he was educated at “University of Maryland – Robert H. Smith School of Business” between 1986-1990. Interesting trick, since, um, wasn’t he in prison at that time? Maybe they have some kind of outreach program at the “University of Maryland – Robert H. Smith School of Business”.

And if not, maybe they would appreciate knowing that a domestic terrorist is throwing their name around. Here’s their contact information.

Gearbox on May 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Ed,

You need to hit this harder. I just followed a link from Bob Owens’ place to Patterico.

This is vile and disgusting, man. People need to know.

Push this for Pat’, RSM and all the others who are threatened by these vile scum.

Gus Bailey on May 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM