Latest media Romney “scoop”: His wife’s horse hobby is pretty expensive

posted at 7:28 pm on May 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

If forced to choose between contrived non-stories designed to make an issue of Romney’s faith versus contrived non-stories designed to make an issue of his wealth, I much prefer the latter. Kudos to the LA Times for taking the less slimy route while pushing a core Obama attack line.

Matt Welch finally lost patience today with the drumbeat of sub-moronic stories about Romney and Seamus, but I think his reaction to that works equally well here: “Seriously, historians are going to look back at the coverage of the 2012 election, with its backdrop of totally predictable debtpocalypse and entitlementgeddon, and instead of responsible journalism they’re going to find this sh*t.”

She soon fell in love with dressage, a fussy Olympic sport that is also called “horse ballet.” In dressage, a horse moves in delicate, dance-like steps to music as the rider, formally clad in top hat and tails, imperceptibly guides the animal…

Dressage is not for the faint of wallet; it requires healthy outlays of cash for upkeep, training, transportation and veterinary care. It attracts some of the world’s richest people — the daughter of billionaire New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg competes. Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang and his wife own dressage horses.

A spokeswoman for the Romney campaign would not discuss the costs associated with Ann Romney’s horses. “We are not required to disclose this information,” said Amanda Henneberg in an emailed statement…

Insurance documents in the court file indicate that from November 2006 to November 2007, Ann Romney paid $7,800 to insure five horses against mortality and theft for amounts ranging from $50,000 to $135,000 per horse, which she said was far less than their value. “I self-insure for the rest,” she testified. “Just expensive to have insurance.”

There’s backstory at the link about how dressage helped comfort Romney physically and psychologically after her MS diagnosis, which is nice but doesn’t explain the paper’s interest in the expense. It’s no secret that the Romneys can afford any pastime known to man and it’s no secret that keeping and training horses for sport is a rich man’s endeavor. Why emphasize it if it’s a story about therapy?

In related news, via Mediaite, enjoy this clip of a guy who’s reportedly worth $400 million mocking a guy who’s worth $250 million for being rich. Exit question: Did our president, who could appear on any television show in the universe if he wanted to, really decide to book himself on … Jimmy Fallon?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d put Ann Romney’s Horse bills up against Michelle Obama’s Feed bill any day.

portlandon on May 22, 2012 at 7:29 PM

…rather a horse hobbie…than a horse’s a$$…!!!

KOOLAID2 on May 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I knew that the campaign was going to be a horserace, but I didn’t realize it was literally.

aunursa on May 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM

..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…..horses….
it’s the ECONOMY stupid…!!!

KOOLAID2 on May 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Got 4 people at work that own horses. And we ain’t exacly flinging 6 fig sals if you get what I’m saying.

cajun carrot on May 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I said it before, and I’ll say it again, Ann Romney should name her next horse Spanish Holiday in honor of Michelle Obama.

Flange on May 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Let me just repeat what I wrote when this was on headlines earlier: I know four working class people here in Atlanta involved in showing and training horses. They all complain about the huge dent this is on their wallets, but they love horses so they do it anyway. One of them told me when she’s strapped for cash the people she pays to stable her horse let her work off some of the money she owes by cleaning the stables.

radjah shelduck on May 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM

The original story on breitbart had a wonderful picture of Ann Romney astride a beautiful horse. Did she ever look like an all America woman, elegant and beautiful.

I wish the Gov would have a press conference and say something like, — Since you are investigating everything about my past, I know you will come out with this. So here it is!

All his grades and transcripts from the universities he attended.
Man, I’d watch that in the middle of the night. What would the msm do about it?

Bambi on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Did they know you can also make money with show horses? Heavens! It is an expensive hobby but so is snow skiing, shopping in exotic locales and staying in 5 star resorts like the first mooch. Ms. Romney paid her own freight on this.

Kissmygrits on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Why do Dems HATE horses…???

darcee on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Sooooooooooooooooooo,now the

Donkeys are picking a War with Horses!!!

Absolute Horse Poo!!

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I’m supposed to care more about what Romney did with his own money than what Obama does with mine? Right.

txhsmom on May 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM

BTW, horse back riding has kept her in good health despite the rages of her disease.

Bambi on May 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM

When do we get the story on the cost of Michelle’s cake decorator makeover.

CTSherman on May 22, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Ya know,if you can afford it,without US TaxPayer type subsidy,
goooooooooooooooooo for it!!

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 7:39 PM

name her next horse Spanish Holiday in honor of Michelle Obama.

ZING! That’d be an awesome twitter tash hag =)

Let’s see, I’mma go w/ Arugula.

cajun carrot on May 22, 2012 at 7:39 PM

She doesn’t pass the costs onto the taxpayer. Moochelle’s hobby, expensive vacations and eating, is passed on to the taxpayer.

Blake on May 22, 2012 at 7:39 PM

..who was it here that mentioned the desperation over at “O” HQ smelled like prison sex?

The War Planner on May 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Flange on May 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I’m totally stealing that for my fb page.

txhsmom on May 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM

LA Times Newsworthiness index:

Ann Romney’s horses: eleventy!

Rashid Khalidi video collecting dust in our vault: meh.

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Breaking News: Romney strapped a Horse to the top of the family car once!

portlandon on May 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Didn’t the Romneys come by their money honestly? Last time I checked it is theirs to spend however they wish…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

The liberal neigh-sayers are at it again.

I’ll take the “horsey set” over horses’ a$$es every time.

Drained Brain on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

On a tangential note I wonder if someone could do some research into the ideologies of those who own race horses and those who gamble on them.

If there’s even a handful of liberals/Democrats that own some horses and at least a handful that gamble on them, I think it helps add to the reality that this is nothing more than a ditch digging excursion to nowhere.

Or, if we really wanted to look into some things, how about any number of expensive hobbies of the uber wealthy and find out about their political leanings?

I seem to recall that at least a couple Democrats like(d) yachts… I wouldn’t think that’s necessarily a regular man’s preferred affordable pasttime.

Logus on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

pathetic

cmsinaz on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Well not really , it doesn’t have to be that expensive.

the_nile on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Why do Dems HATE horses…???

darcee on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

So begins……. The War on Horses!

ThePrez on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I bought a horse yesterday. Feel free to report me to Attack Watch or any other appropriate authority.

JPeterman on May 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I am sure Jacqueline Kennedy’s horse hobby was equal to or even more than Ann Romneys. ..from what I have heard…..

congma on May 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM

So what? She’s not doing it on the taxpayer’s dime unlike a FLOTUS who likes fancy vacations.

stukinIL4now on May 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

cajun carrot on May 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Sure. But, there’s horses and then there’s horses.

I wouldn’t mind owning a horse myself one day if my family is ever able to get/start a small farm. It’d be a working horse though.

Logus on May 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

But now the door is open to vet Michelle.

the_nile on May 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

There’s even a book about Jacvkie’s riding

congma on May 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Donkeys are picking a War with Horses!!!

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

You nailed it, canopfor. It’s War on Horses.

John the Libertarian on May 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

All his grades and transcripts from the universities he attended. Man, I’d watch that in the middle of the night. What would the msm do about it?

Bambi on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

..they’d probably vapor lock.

By the way, and I plead inattentiveness, but someone posted here that Romney graduated from BYU with a degree in English and a 3.97 GPA. He then enrolled in Harvard School of Business and Harvard Law and got an MBA and a JD — graduating in the top 5 percent.

Them’s some serious creds, man.

The War Planner on May 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Horseists. Why does the LAT hate horses?

Spliff Menendez on May 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

According to Chris Christie,it is Hopey, who is the one that is,

‘posing and preening’
********************

Sunday, May 20, 2012

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM

But now the door is open to vet Michelle.

the_nile on May 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

..they send her to a vet?

The War Planner on May 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM

WOOOOOO!!!

They got us folks, They found Romney’s deepest and darkest secret.

This is all they got folks…it is almost comical now.

Note to GOP establishment: Stop being scared of Obama and his stupid fans in the media!

William Eaton on May 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

congma on May 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

But you see, she was Jackie… American royalty, Camelot and all that don’t you know… wife of “Saint” JFK, the martyr… and a Democrat, thus, not comparible according to liberals and Democrats.

Logus on May 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Well not really , it doesn’t have to be that expensive.

the_nile on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

While I said same, I just realized a lot of these city idiots have never thought of migrating out of cities and plant a new life in an urban/rural area. So to them they, I’m assuming, immediately think of rich New Yorkers who escape the city for the weekend or something for evil capitalist equestrian activities. Of course their only knowledge of this is some TV series or some garbage. Just my thought.

cajun carrot on May 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

If by “honestly” you mean by laying off hard working blue collar dems and sucking the blood out of their companies like vampires then sure!

/libtard

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM

This story has a cancel as well: Little Bammie signed a bill to allow the butchering and consumption of horses in the USA.

slickwillie2001 on May 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM

We are middle class. Hubby used to do dressage.He learned to love horses when he was in college and lived in a barn, took care of horses. Another friend built her own ring. Small house, small barn. Just loved the challenge. It’s hard stuff.

bluealice on May 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM

This is so ridiculous..who the hell cares?

Terrye on May 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM

A reminder from the golden days when wealth and horses were something to admire: Jackie Kennedy and foxhunting, via Mr. Edward Klein, recently in the news as the author of The Amateur.

Buy Danish on May 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM

You just can’t make this stuff up. Funny! And yes horses aren’t cheap. You should see the $ some horses get on the stud farm. Lucky bastards. ; )

Bmore on May 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM

BLOOMBERG

Ben Hur on May 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You know, so is cocaine, who paid the Barack’s?

Speakup on May 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

She likes horses? Well, this changes everything.

stldave on May 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Logus on May 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Well racist :P They are for riding. Were I grew up we had cane field separating us from others. Those horses did a little riding and a little chasing :)

cajun carrot on May 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Media , a dog and pony show , literally .

the_nile on May 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Glad to know Im a rich elite Im actually “gasp” a dressage rider. She supports the US equestrian team which wouldnt be a reality without generous owners and sponsors is rumored to be extremely nice. Hardly a horse snob. It actually takes a lot of very hard work to earn a gold medal and the fact that Ann has done it is impressive. Hopefully her horse Rafalca will be in London at the Olympics this summer bringing a lot if great publicity to our sport :)

ldbgcoleman on May 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM

No matter how much Ann Romney spends on shirts and horses, it’s still less money out of my pocket than one Michelle Obama shopping trip in Spain.

malclave on May 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Ponygate!!11!!1!

congma on May 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM

But Jackie’s horse hobby was used to show class solidarity with struggling cat food-eating Americans everywhere.

Punchenko on May 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM

You know, so is cocaine, who paid the Barack’s?

Speakup on May 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Maybe he was selling…

the_nile on May 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM
You nailed it, canopfor. It’s War on Horses.

John the Libertarian on May 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

John the Libertarian:Stupid JACK*SS`S!!:)

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM

we did the same to kerry…. its part of the political game.

nathor on May 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Let us not forget that the LA Times is still sitting on that tape of Obowma…

Seven Percent Solution on May 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM

The statement by AP that “keeping and training horses for sport is a rich man’s endeavor” is just not true. We have over the past 35 years had many calf roping horses and we are not rich. They are, however, expensive and the upkeep is high, but many people that are low income and middle income have horses for pleasure and sport.

silvernana on May 22, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Why is this news, but John Kerry’s yacht wasn’t? (At least until the alternative media rubbed the MSM’s nose in his hypocrisy of trying to dodge taxes.) I guess money is only bad when you’re a conservative.

Or, as another commenter said: “The non-socialist rich are the only species that Democrats want to see hunted to extinction.”

Socratease on May 22, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Kissmygrits on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Exactly.

Does the O Team really want to go down this road? I’d like some cost analysis on the First Pooch. How much does it cost to care for BO? Insurance? Travel on vacations? What does their dog eat?

conservative pilgrim on May 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Didn’t Obama sign a law that allows the slaughtering and eating horses?

Why yes, yes he did : http://tinyurl.com/bpxjk9s

Maxpower on May 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Didn’t Obama sign a law that allows the slaughtering and eating horses?

Why yes, yes he did : http://tinyurl.com/bpxjk9s

Maxpower on May 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

There’s a theme here Obama , eating dogs and horses. Romney , keeping dogs and horses.

the_nile on May 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Picking on woman who uses the hobby to make her terrible disease more tolerable?

Yeah, this is going to win the womyn’s vote for sure.

Corporal Tunnel on May 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Why do Dems HATE horses…???

darcee on May 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Actually, Obama likes dogs and horses. IYKWIM.

conservative pilgrim on May 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

…it’s no secret that keeping and training horses for sport is a rich man’s endeavor.

I agree with cajun carrot, the_nile and bluealice that Allah’s assumption is a bunch of horsesh*t. Keeping and training horses can be an inexpensive proposition. It all depends on where you live and who you chose to train and compete with.

bettycooper on May 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I wonder how much time the reporter spent getting the “scoop” on what it costs Mrs. Romney to insure her horses.

LASue on May 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Maxpower on May 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Ya beat me!

conservative pilgrim on May 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Ann Romney spends her own money how she chooses = Bad

Michell Obama spends OUR money how she chooses = Good

Black is white, up is down??? Did I wake up on another planet? I keep clicking my heels but nothing is happening…help Mr. Wizzard

Reality Checker on May 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

we did the same to kerry…. its part of the political game.

nathor on May 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Conservatives criticized Kerry for being wealthy? I know we criticized him for living in big houses and driving big cars at the same time he was warning the rest of us that those things harm the environment, but I must have missed the straight class warfare attacks against him.

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Didn’t Obama sign a law that allows the slaughtering and eating horses?

Why yes, yes he did : http://tinyurl.com/bpxjk9s

Maxpower on May 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

MaxPower:I was just in the middle of a Medeleine Boone googly
search,I noticed that part as well!

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

On a previous thread, Flora mentioned that O recently signed a bill allowing horse slaughter. I read about a month ago that he also signed an executive order that now permits the use of horse meat for human consumption in the United States. Could there be a relationship between these two signings? This too could make for an interesting twitter subject. Obama ate dog and now he’s leading the way for all americans to enjoy such delicacies as horse meat…..I don’t believe in coincidense.

MONACO1121 on May 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM

But now the door is open to vet Michelle.
the_nile on May 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I really want to say something about Mooochelle needing to see a vet. But I’ll restrain myself…

affenhauer on May 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Isn’t horse-eating something only the Frogs do???

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Wait a tick,I’m seeing the Progressive logic….

there was a wild/wild west,
and horses helped create America,

and so,in the Lefty MindSet,Horses helped
create the America they Hate,and…and…,

the conclusion of couse,….Horses are Evil!!
(snark)

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 8:11 PM

A horse walks into a bar and the bartender asks “why the long face?”

Could not resist.

CW on May 22, 2012 at 8:11 PM

John Kerry walks into a bar…

CW on May 22, 2012 at 8:11 PM

It all depends on where you live and who you chose to train and compete with.

bettycooper on May 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

And where you put your priorities. :) They take commitment that’s for sure. Definitely an investment of money and time. The people w/ the blahbity blah-illions of money pay extra for professional care, on-call physician with on site medical equipment, yaddity ya ya. Good for them and their horses. We all strive for the financial independence to do that.

cajun carrot on May 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Speaking of dressage, this is totally awesome. Turn up your speakers and enjoy!

silvernana on May 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Isn’t horse-eating something only the Frogs do???

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM

OmahaConservative:

Yo Brother where art tho been,glad to see ya back:)

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM

John Kerry walks into a bar…

CW on May 22, 2012 at 8:11 PM

CW:)

and says,”I’m thristier than a horse,thats been ridd’n like a……

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Sorry, lemme conclude my last statement:

They pay that money cause they gonna flip that horse to someone who also has the money to buy that horse. It’s a friggin business.

cajun carrot on May 22, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yo Brother where art tho been,glad to see ya back:)

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Took a much needed break from the latest open-reg trolls. Cindy called me back to the family…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Didn’t Obama sign a law that allows the slaughtering and eating horses?

Why yes, yes he did : http://tinyurl.com/bpxjk9s

Maxpower on May 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Obama just wants to legalize his wife’s more exotic culinary yearnings. She’s rumored to be quite fond of horse pie.

Benedict Nelson on May 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Speaking of dressage, this is totally awesome. Turn up your speakers and enjoy!

silvernana on May 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM

silvernana:Lol,well it does rock somewhat haha!:)

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM
———————————–

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM

OmahaConservative:Excellent,yup,some times a break(R@R)is a must!:)

canopfor on May 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Does 0 eat horse?

Bmore on May 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM

The bottom line is this:

Do you wanna be a Socialist?

Or do you wanna be an American?

/Donald Trump? Helllooow!

Key West Reader on May 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Does 0 eat horse?

Bmore on May 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Yup. The wagyu variety. With arugula…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

At least the Romney’s spends their own money on their hobbies vs. the Obama’s asking us to pay for their vacations.

lwssdd on May 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Glad you are back.

Can you share thoughts with us or is it too soon?

Key West Reader on May 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Socratease on May 22, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I still haven’t seen a picture of John F’n Kerry’s yacht. If he was a Republican the liberal media would have a yacht-cam following it around.

slickwillie2001 on May 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Money’s only bad if it’s held by eeeeeeeeevil republicans because they stooooooooole it from hardworking americans.

C’mon, everybody knows that.

Pablo Snooze on May 22, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Ann Romney’s equestrian hobby costs me nothing. Moochelle’s vacation hobby isn’t quite the same.

Eren on May 22, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Glad you are back.

Can you share thoughts with us or is it too soon?

Key West Reader on May 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Thanks darlin’
I was just getting so pi*sed at some of the newest trolls I decided to back off so I wouldn’t get myself banned…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM

. . . and it’s no secret that keeping and training horses for sport is a rich man’s endeavor.

No more than golf.

In fact, I know people who are no where near rich, yet they raise, train and show horses (including dressage) as a hobby — or they work for the wealthy horse owners, doing something they love. Most of them are women, too. And they all work hard — it’s no sport for slackers. I only admire Ann Romney more for knowing she’s taken up such a demanding (both physically and mentally) sport.

Like sailing, the wealthy seem to dominate horse sports, and so the sport gets a snooty reputation. But if you’re involved in the sport, you realize the wealthy are often huge and material supporters of the less fortunate participating as well.

I think this line of attack will put off horse lovers everywhere. So I’d love to see Obama and Biden take this one up: Democrats’ ‘War on Horsewomen’!

starboardhelm on May 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Does 0 eat horse?

Bmore on May 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM

He approves of it.

Schadenfreude on May 22, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Yup. The wagyu variety. With arugula…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

; ), Still happy with the speed OC ? You can play Bishop. It makes him so mad. ; )

Bmore on May 22, 2012 at 8:31 PM

No more than golf….

starboardhelm on May 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Little Bammie is due for his 100th round of golf sometime this month. Any kind of celebration planned for this unprecedented achievement?

slickwillie2001 on May 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM