Penn Jillette: Would Obama be president if he had been busted years ago under laws he now condones for doing drugs?

posted at 9:54 pm on May 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via HuffPo, something here for everyone. For the pro-legalization crowd, a righteous five-minute rant on how the war on weed is capable of squelching career possibilities for even the most promising young citizens. For the anti-legalization crowd, a five-minute rant on how Obama’s an unbelievable hypocrite. And for the anti-legalization yet pro-Obama crowd, … actually, do those people even exist? If so, proceed no further.

The profanity here is less than I expected but you’re not going to get away scot free when Penn Jillette’s on a tear, so please observe your official content warning. Exit question: Will this be the subject of O’s next “evolution”? No one believes he supports criminalizing marijuana for anything other than political reasons, just as no one believed he was opposed to gay marriage. Assuming he wins in November, expect this charade to drop circa early 2015.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yes, because the MSM would never have reported it, and McCain wouldn’t have brought it up for fear of being called RAAAAAAAACIST!

wildcat72 on May 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Rasmussen: 11% favor legalizing cocaine .

SouthernGent on May 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM

For Obama, states’ rights are nothing to be concerned about … even in matters of gay “marriage.” Now that he’s again out of the closet on board, obstacles like DOMA and state sovereignty are to be discarded to achieve his desired policy goal. Obama’s attitude toward states defending marriage is “bend over and take it.”

OhioCoastie on May 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I get the sense Penn Jillette doesn’t much care for Obama.

John the Libertarian on May 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Neither cocaine nor gay sex are anything new to The One if we take Larry Sinclair’s account as factual.

OhioCoastie on May 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’m fine with MJ being legalized. In fact, I think it’s one of the dumbest laws on the books today.

Coke never.

rubberneck on May 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I agreed with the gist of Penn’s rant.

Now, I thought I’d read something about how Obama’s drug policy is actually more tyrannical than Bush’s.

MeatHeadinCA on May 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I get the sense Penn Jillette doesn’t much care for Obama.

John the Libertarian on May 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM

How could any Libertarian?

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Coke never.

rubberneck on May 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM

The biggest reason why pot will never be legalized is the fact that it would NEVER result in tax revenue. People could grow it as house plants and never pay a cent in taxes.

As far as “danger” goes it’s no better or worse than alcohol. Yes, I’ve tried it. Nearly everyone has. Not something I would go for, because, to be honest, it’s just like getting drunk and, frankly, I like beer better.

wildcat72 on May 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I’ve been saying this for years. The biggest sign that he is an absolute narcissist, who cares nothing for others, is that he has done nothing to even slightly improve the insane federal laws regarding drugs. In fact, he’s double down, and scoffed at anyone who suggests he should even reconsider the federal position.

strictnein on May 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

no one believed he was opposed to gay marriage

I believe he is. He’s black, raised muslim…going with the odds.

Ronnie on May 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM

a five-minute rant on how Obama’s an unbelievable hypocrite

Wow! Almost 4 years, and NOW people begin to notice.

GarandFan on May 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Rush usually doesn’t have guests..

Oh…

My bad.

Electrongod on May 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

How could any Libertarian?

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Same could be said for romney.

Notorious GOP on May 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM

How could any Libertarian?

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Clearly, you’ve not yet read the “libertarian” comments that proclaim that since Romney and Obama are the same we should just go with Obama.

KingGold on May 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Marijuana laws are nonsense. The are vestiges of the mentality exhibited in the ridiculous propoganda film “Reefer Madness” which is now a cult comedy classic. Alcohol is just as bad or worse.

Reggie1971 on May 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

And oh, look at that. Right on time.

KingGold on May 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

…JugEars could snort a line of cocaine in front of the MSM with the camera’s rolling…and they would report he was taking his sinus medicine!

…it’s the ECONOMY stupid…!!!

KOOLAID2 on May 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM

. Alcohol is just as bad or worse.

Reggie1971 on May 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

*Clink*

Electrongod on May 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Penn is always….ALWAYS entertaining. I like his stance on marijuana, though I don’t smoke it, I don’t see why others shouldn’t.

I agree, people could grow it as house plants, but I doubt they would do it in great numbers. Can always tax the crap out of the rolling papers.

john1schn on May 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

KingGold on May 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

So Romney wouldn’t hurt the GOP brand? We’re 4 years removed from W/ a tea party movement, and we want to put Mitt as our nominee?

Notorious GOP on May 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

KingGold on May 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Obama is the best thing for fiscal conservatives since . . . . . . . . ?

Notorious GOP on May 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Same could be said for romney.

Notorious GOP on May 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Why do I not fear Romney taking my guns or running roughshod over the Constitution?

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM

alcohol and caffeine are two of the most widely used drugs.

Without one or both, many of us go into withdrawals, find it hard to function, and plan our days around one or both of them.

say it ain’t so.

ted c on May 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM

john1schn on May 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Who even cares about the taxes? Let’s cut some spending and I don’t give a crap what you smoke in the privacy of your house.

MeatHeadinCA on May 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM

We need to legalize drugs. The drug war is nothing but an excuse to destroy our liberties, militarize our police forces and expand our government. Is it any wonder that two of the proponents for the first safe food and drug act that was the beginning of criminalizing drugs were an Marxist and a socialist?

We have all been had on this. And no.. I am not a drug user. These drugs were created by the devil in the pits of hell. And so was the so called drug war! Drug lords are committing horrible atrocities on thousands below our southern border.. all because of the drugs being sold here! On this side of the border our liberties are being shredded and our police forces militarized and our politicians corrupted… and all for what?
Just because drugs could be legal does not mean government agencies have to give them out then for free. Or that we would have addict parks or drug hotels. Control drugs just like you do alcohol! There will still be support groups, there will still be people who preach against drugs just like they do now against alcohol… but the war and the violence and murders and the corruption would come to an end!

JellyToast on May 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Notorious GOP on May 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Romney already has hurt the GOP brand among self-professing conservatives that don’t believe Romney is conservative. It’s not a matter of IF. It’s a matter of how badly.

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

MeatHeadinCA on May 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Boy howdy! The only time someone smoking dope bothers me is if they’re driving or buying skittles at the local 7-11.

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Penn is no Dummy

Del Dolemonte on May 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM

What is to say he wasn’t? There is next to no verifiable history of him that hasn’t been put under lock and key or full on scrubbed.

Rio Linda Refugee on May 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM

MeatHeadinCA on May 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Yep. We could save a great deal of money currently being spent incarcerating people who are convicted for offenses involving marijuana only.

Reggie1971 on May 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Does it matter? All politicians are a means to an end, anyway. At the moment, it’s not about the GOP. It’s about wresting control away from Obama before he further tanks the country. We’ll deal with Romney when he gets into office, but first things first.

beatcanvas on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

IIRC, even noted misogynist Bill Maher has said that Obama is the worst of all the recent presidents on the pot issue.

juliesa on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

0bama is living proof that pot shouldn’t be legalized.

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

we want to put Mitt as our nominee?

Notorious GOP on May 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Have you heard the words “water under the bridge”?

CW on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Coke never.

rubberneck on May 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM

You would have had a bit of a problem with Coca Cola back in the early 20th century.

platypus on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

beatcanvas on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Read this, gryphon. Job one in anyone’s book at this point.

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

0bama is even stronger living proof that cocaine shouldn’t be legalized.

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Have you ever heard the words “broken record”?

CW on May 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Add 0bama + pot + cocaine, and you’ve got a flaky, schizophrenic, talkative person who thinks he’s God.

His brain exhibits the marks of that drug combo – I guarantee it.

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM

W

Better question:

Would Bambi be president if he’d been vetted like every other candidate since Nixon?

BacaDog on May 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Jillette comes across as strong, articulate, and principled. The very last sentence in the video clip is his question:

“Can you imagine if your child were doing time in prison for marijuana?”

Dextrous on May 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Read this, gryphon. Job one in anyone’s book at this point.

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Your beef isn’t with my willingness to vote for Romney in the general election. That’s a settled question. Your beef is with my criticisms of him, my vote notwithstanding. That is also a settled question: I don’t intend to stop.

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM

It grows easily in the wild and can be consumed in said state, why not…and I am not, nor will I ever be, a MJ smoker….

hillsoftx on May 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Does anybody know: Is there any law against growing your own tobacco in your garden, drying and curing it yourself, and rolling your own cigarettes? Seems like, with the federal and state taxes piled on top of cigarettes these days, somebody would do it if they could.

Socratease on May 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Have you ever heard the words “broken record”?

CW on May 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Your beef isn’t with how many times I’ve said it, and I don’t intend to stop anyway. Your beef is with what I’m saying, and that’s not going to change either.

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM

You think I wanted Mittens any more than you did? Think again.

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

beatcanvas on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

That is assuming that Romney makes it into office. I think he stands a good enough chance of winning, but the biggest mistake we can make is to assume that Romney is a shoo-in. There’s too much at stake and too much internal strife in movement conservatism for me to believe it will be as easy for Mitt as the knob polishers are saying.

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

wildcat72

Obviously, wildcat72, you’ve never tried to grow it yourself.

It always dies dammit to hell.

Typicalwhitewoman on May 21, 2012 at 10:44 PM

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM

You think I wanted Mittens any more than you did? Think again.

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I’m sorry if I gave you the impression that I was judging you as a knob polisher. Wasn’t saying it, wasn’t implying it. What I said and what I meant was that my criticism of Romney isn’t going to stop. Period. That’s it. I hate to say that Romney has my vote, but he does. It’s the only practical way I see before me to unseat Obama. And I hope to God that between now and November, Mitt will have his come to Jesus moment and decide that he needs to do everything possible to distance and differentiate himself from Obama. I don’t see that happening right now, and so I’m not going to be quiet about it.

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I’m for reducing sentences for drug offenses. One thing I do take issue with Penn on is in the video he makes it seems like people do a little drugs and then move on with their lives. Some people are fortunate to play around with drugs and never develop a habit. But what about those who develop a habit? Millions of people’s lives have been utterly ruined by drugs. It’s heartbreaking.

But like many things these days we are looking for the government to solve an issue that’s a heart issue. Government can do whatever it wants but it’s not going to change the FACT that our nation is full of drug addicts. Our society is so messed up that we have a bunch of druggies supporting drug cartels in Mexico. Absolutely sickening.

terryannonline on May 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Boy howd

Lanceman on May 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Howdy, Lman.

MeatHeadinCA on May 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM

You can hardly fault him, back in the day, he and his bunch only smoked mexican pot. You only thought you were high. Give them some columbian and you’d lose your sofa. Hawaiian and they’d throw up.

ericdijon on May 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM

terryannonline on May 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Millions of people’s lives have been ruined by alcohol, too. And yet making alcohol illegal was seen as a failed experiment, even after they went through the constitutionally proper route to outlaw it! I don’t smoke. I drink very little, and only socially at that, and I don’t put any illicit substnaces in my body at all. But it would seem to me that if one is genuinely worried about the harm that drugs do, one would seek to outlaw tobacco and alcohol with the same zeal that one speaks out against currently illegal drugs — that is, of course, if one is being consistently principled and not politically expedient.

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I think the future of the GOP will look a lot like Penn Jillete. Young people are becoming more socially moderate, but they despise government in many important ways as most conservatives do.

ModerateMan on May 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Like I said in my post I’m really not concerned with what government will do about the drug issue. I don’t think there is much government can do when our society has such an appetite for drugs. It’s a heart issue. Why do people think it’s OK to get high or wired?

terryannonline on May 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

“Can you imagine if your child were doing time in prison for marijuana?”

Dextrous on May 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Not a lot of humility there though. What is it with intelligent people with microphones?

And no, the last line assumes the modern indulgent parent’s concern with the kids’ incarceration rather than his upside down value system.

Cleombrotus on May 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM

ModerateMan on May 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Great we’ll have a social moderates…while bunch of junkies are still on the street.

terryannonline on May 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

terryannonline on May 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Eh, I’m pretty big on principled living. And you’re absolutely right. Government can’t save people from themselves, and shouldn’t try. But as to why some people think it’s OK to get high or wired? I figure it’s the same reason people do a lot of stupid crap: Because people are generally selfish and live in the moment without thought to long-term consequences. It’s human nature.

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

It just upsets me. That people would ruin their lives (and their children’s lives) to get high.

terryannonline on May 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM

terryannonline on May 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM

…or drunk. Or emphysematic. That’s life in the shitty city, though. Asking for rational behavior out of some people is just asking for too much. My brother is a junky, so believe me. I know.

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

ModerateMan on May 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Wrong. And God help us if you’re right.

Conservatives are skeptical of government due to its inherent tendency to overreach. Today’s young despise government because they see it as limiting their choices, something they have never learned to do for themselves.

I’d suggest you Read J. E. Dyers column tonight.

Cleombrotus on May 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

It has always been my pet theory that Penn Jillette is Allahpundit. If this is true, quoting himself is utterly hilarious and delicious.

Kristamatic on May 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM

He’s got a great point, and one I hadn’t considered before. He’s right. If Barack Obama had been busted under the very laws that he condones… his life wouldn’t have turned out like it did.

I’m torn. There’s my libertarian side which recognizes that the “War on Drugs” has been a failure, one that has pretty much become a REAL war resulting in the deaths of tens of thousands. And there’s my more selfish side which REALLY wishes some observant cop had been on hand back when Obama doing “blow”.

Murf76 on May 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Reggie1971 on May 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

While any reaction-altering substances are bad for the users and others they could hurt when the substances are used in excess, it is not the function of government, under the Constitution, to tell us what to put into our bodies or not, from food to drink to the really bad stuff.

This is not just a libertarian view, it is a freedom view. To me, those who choose to delve into heavy drugs or abuse alcohol or that whole culture are dumbasses, just asking for trouble and bad outcomes. But, if they don’t hurt me or my family in the process, and only themselves, I could care less, and I sure as hell don’t want government getting involved in any way, except the protection of my own freedoms, the only valid function of government in the first place.

TXUS on May 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM

. But, if they don’t hurt me or my family in the process, and only themselves,

You really believe drug users only hurt themselves? You haven’t been paying attention.

terryannonline on May 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Back in December 2008, when I felt optimistic about Obama, I thought he would make drug law and prison reform his pet issues. They were feel-good issues with areas of broad agreement on both sides of the spectrum. it seemed a perfect WJC “I feel your pain” moment. Obama is not a tenth the politician Clinton was. Slightly more self-disciplined, perhaps.

alwaysfiredup on May 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM

terryannonline on May 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Please don’t quote me out of context. I would never do that to you.

TXUS on May 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

At this article: http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spot/295945/romney-nra-consider-courts a commenter, 333Maxwell said:

I am a 60 yr old man who has progressive bone disease. I was on daily morphine until [edit, not pleasant]…

I eat cannabis daily now in lieu of the worlds strongest and most deadly narcotics, this DEFENDS ME FROM HARM…

Yet in the eyes of a LOT of states rights and gun owners folks, they would toss me in jail. I don’t have the right to defend and protect myself this way. It makes a great many ‘angry’ so they don;t like it and I shouldn’t do it (regardless of what my doctor and two surgeons think).

Yet it is ok to kill another person if you feel they are causing you harm. But if you eat an herb in lieu of the worlds most deadly narcotics, you need to go to jail,

I’ll be right on board this whole states rights gig (actually I already am, but you get the point I hope), and back gun owners rights to pack an arsenal if they deem they need, if the same folks buck up and admit folks like I share the same right.

My response:

Maxwell, I’m sorry to hear of your ailment, and wish you the best hopes for fighting it off. And I agree with you 100%. This drug war is immoral, for the everyday folks like you, it’s senseless, and immoral for the casual or troubled users who must spend precious years of their lives in horrible prisons. Victimless criminals, same with the sellers, who sometimes get life sentences, though they only fulfill a demand just as tobacco or fatty food sellers do.

Maybe, by being illegal, drug usage is cut by some small amount, but in the process we turn much of the country into a police state, imprison scores of millions, wreck countries (like Mexico), cause rampant crime here at home, spend hundreds of billions. For little effect. This war is long lost. Give it up. And it’s not consistent with the frontier spirit and founding principles (that Romney talks of) of freedom and self-determination that made this country great. End this immoral unaffordable war. End it.

anotherJoe on May 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM

“Would Obama be president if he had been busted years ago under laws he now condones for doing drugs?”

Duh, yeah, you overpaid Hollywood doofus.

A way would be found.

He began his political career fundraise in the tony home of “professors” William Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn.

Seriously.

“President” Obama can be anybody he wants to claim to be.

And the Establishment Media, along with the millionaire/billionaire Entertainment Elite, will support him every step of the way.

minnesoter on May 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Have you heard the words “water under the bridge”?

CW on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Of course.

Go Team R!

Notorious GOP on May 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Rasmussen: 11% favor legalizing cocaine .

SouthernGent on May 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM

And 89% oppose it. The point being?

minnesoter on May 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Does this guy not get that “states rights” means that each state could come up with its own laws, and some states would allow eating mj, and some wouldn’t? What is his problem? (um, other than having a progressive bone disease. Sorry about that. Sincerely.)

cptacek on May 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Drug use is yet another area where Obama and the MSM have shaped facts for their convenience. Obama wrote that he tried drugs enthusiastically and walked around in a daze. Every pothead I knew did at least a little dealing on the side, even if it was just for their own smoke. Yet when the NYT did an article about it, we have only his half-sister’s denial (she’s hardly an unbiased observer).

So we have “yeah I was a stoner” when we need to see his up-from-the-depths growth, and “no he just dabbled” when the drug use needs to be seen as harmless experimenting.

Where are the 60 Minutes questions? Did you ever deal? Which drugs and how much? To whom? Were they under age? As a father of two young girls, how would you feel about someone who sold them drugs? If you didn’t deal, how did you as a high school student support your habit?

Is there any chance a Republican candidate would not have had to face those questions?

bobs1196 on May 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM

KingGold on May 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Those are the Ron Paul marching orders. I guess he’s a Libertarian.

minnesoter on May 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Pot should be legal, coke and worse should not. The reason is, to me at least, that pot is not addictive and won’t drive you to quit your job and start rolling your neighbors garage for stuff to pawn to support your non habit.

There ARE dangers with it of course, but booze is much worse. DUI already includes any drug that exerts influence over your consciousness including nyquil and benedril, so that’s not an argument.

The worst side effect to pot is that if you do it for a month straight, every day, you’ll end up a little more neurotic, paranoid, and depressed. The key to pot, booze, coffee, is M O D E R A T I O N. Anything that you allow to run your life isn’t that anything’s fault, it’s yours. Personal responsibility, folks.

But heroin, crack, cocaine? No. Physically addictive stuff like that will eventually cause you to abandon all logic and start violating other people’s rights either while under the influence or because of the desire to be under the influence. That’s never happened with pot with anyone I’ve ever known to do it since I was 12 years old.

No, I’m not an avid or even occasional smoker of weed. I might use that instead of beer though if it were legal.

Wolfmoon on May 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM

john1schn on May 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Ha! So true, and funny as hell. Why would any True, freedom-loving, hippie of the 60′s-70′s Big Bamboo era back this Obama narc? I’ll bet he was an annoying cig mooch as well.

minnesoter on May 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM

We have the failures of the alcohol prohibition era to compare and contrast with our drug situation today and we simply fail to draw any lessons or logical conclusions.

It’s astounding, really.

rickyricardo on May 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM

TXUS on May 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Yessss indeed, they are dumbasses!

In your 2nd part – therein lies the rub: Many favor relaxing/removing drug laws, but want to keep the “social safety net” in place – thus, if dad wants to stay drunk or stoned into a continuous stupor, his kids & wife will be fed and cared for.

To me, don’t want government getting involved in any way also means no more benefits from the gummit! If shattered families want to plead for help to civic/faith-based organizations, then that’s fine with me.

The leftist maggots encourage anyone and everyone to let the honest, hard-working and decent people to cover the cost for their reckless behaviors and “lifestyles” and I’m damn sick of it.

Oh shame, where art thou? Put to death by the de-stygmitization of the being on the government dole!

E-R

electric-rascal on May 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM

wildcat72 on May 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

You can make your own beer to, but who actually bothers? You want a beer? You’re not going to wait how ever long it takes, do whatever it takes, buy all the ingredients and equipment it takes to make it. You’re going to go down to the corner store and buy some.

Make it legal and the tobacco companies are going to make and sell pot at a price that will make it impractical for any but the true hobbyist to grow their own. Economies of scale and all that. So yea, make it legal and the government WILL see taxes, plus the savings of not imprisoning millions of folk on the back end.

In fact, those people not in prison will likely be working and paying taxes as well. Fat, high and stupid isn’t a way anyone should be going through life, but should we really be putting people in prison because they eat fast food, smoke dope or have a low IQ?

Boogeyman on May 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM

My brother is a junky, so believe me. I know.

gryphon202 on May 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

There is nothing quite like having the problem in your own family to make one pause. It’s the only thing that has challenged my libertarian beliefs. When someone is a junkie, you cannot stop them. At all. They will rob you blind to feed their habit.

John the Libertarian on May 22, 2012 at 12:28 AM

That doesn’t count. His new position is gay for pay.

David Blue on May 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM

wildcat72 on May 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I’ve never had alcohol and I’ve never smoked anything. While I understand that alcohol can be just as dangerous as marijuana (which isn’t harmless), I do think some people have a glass of wine at dinner because they enjoy the taste, whereas there’s not really a parallel to those who light up. And there are non-alcoholic beers and wines, but there’s not a “non-druggie” marijuana that people smoke recreationally, because that’s the whole point.

bmmg39 on May 22, 2012 at 1:09 AM

If this is an argument for more enforcement, it worked. Lock up all the future obamas now.

Ronnie on May 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

hillsoftx on May 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I agree! I don’t smoke and have never tried it. I don’t care if it is legalized IF.. it is not used as a “gateway” (pardon the pun) to legalize harder stuff like meth or we have to pay welfare to someone who can’t get off their a$$ because they are a pothead.

melle1228 on May 22, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Hypocrisy is the least of this president’s sins.

StubbleSpark on May 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM

A lot of you people against MJ can’t handle the fact that there are people out there enjoying their lives, and playing by their own rules. Plain and simple. Hypocrites, all of you. You argue for individual responsibility, for freedom, and then when someone inhales an herb they enjoy, you become a fascist. Deal with it.

Dr. Manhattan on May 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM

These sort of issues are what convince me that at heart many Republicans are just as statist as the Democrats. I am young, my eyes and ears are open, and many feel the same way I do.

Dr. Manhattan on May 22, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Dr. Manhattan on May 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM

OH stop with the F word. Besides, freedom is ambiguous. It could be for the better and it could be for the worse. That’s why people generally hold to a certain morality. Honest debate, humility and patience would solve more problems then calling people the F word. A word I’m sure you have no idea what it meaning really is.

Gatekeeper on May 22, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I don’t like dealing with drunks . . . and I sure do not want to deal with potheads on top of it. No thanks.

Voter from WA State on May 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM

What about smokers and fatties? Are you cool with them? Or would you prefer a government solution to your problem of having to deal with people who make choices you dont approve of?

Jeddite on May 22, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Why should we give a flying leap about this failed costly immoral drug war that turns our country into a police state?

Some say overall the drug war costs are ~ 100 billion dollars a year. How can we and the TParty abide spending this massive amount, when it is clear to most that it’s a lost war, unwinnable, and most evidence (take Portugal) is that keeping drugs illegal, while it turns society into a police state, doesn’t cut use by more than an incidental amount, a marginal few percentage points.
O wanted to raise the capital gains tax even if it would reduce revenue, for “fairness.” Do many Repubs want to continue the expensive drug war even if it doesn’t cut drug use? Why?

End 21st century prohibition.

anotherJoe on May 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Reggie1971 on May 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM

We’d save a hell of a lot more money, if we expelled all the illegals, 17 percent of the federal prison population, more in state prisons.

And I see so many “liberaltarians” on here, demanding legalized pot. First, dismantle the welfare state so I don’t have to pay for your junky asses, remove the requirement that emergency rooms have to treat you for free, so I don’t have to pay for your ODs. Build a database and register as a drug user, so employers have the choice to avoid hiring you or no.

Then we can talk about legalization. Until then, you liberaltarians are simply asking for free handouts, like the rest of your buddies on the left.

Rebar on May 22, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Good grief, Libertarians, always with the pot. Pot, pot, pot. They see everything through the prism of getting high. The Libertarian Anthem should be Jay and Silent Bob’s rap:

smoking weed smoking weed
doing coke drinking beers drinking beers beers beers
rolling fatties smoking blunts who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts…

Dongemaharu on May 22, 2012 at 4:12 AM

I want a country of people who can control themselves. Please . . . let’s not turn into a nation of irresponsible idiots. – Voter from WA State on May 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I don’t either, but do we need to be sending potheads off to prison? As he said one in six of those in prison or for being caught in possession of pot.

SC.Charlie on May 22, 2012 at 5:22 AM

This has nothing to do with the article, but fans of Penn & Teller might be interested in a post I did on them a few days ago here, and a follow-up post here.

Dr. Mercury on May 22, 2012 at 6:45 AM