Quotes of the day

posted at 9:31 pm on May 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

The early border skirmishes of Campaign 2012 are reviving questions about one candidate’s former pastor and shining a spotlight on the other’s high school hijinks. Can a fresh round of questions about President Barack Obama’s birth certificate be far behind?

In a campaign year when voters have declared the economy their top concern, Obama and Mitt Romney are on notice that there’s no statute of limitations on the issues or conduct that might be used against them. And there’s sure to be somebody with money or other means to insert even low-threshold matters into the political dialogue.

“It’s open season,” says Eric Dezenhall, an expert on crisis management. “This is going to be very rough.”

***

House Speaker John Boehner is criticizing an abandoned super PAC plan to use the Rev. Jeremiah Wright against President Barack Obama.

“Well, look, this kind of nonsense shouldn’t happen,” the Ohio Republican said in an interview taped to air Sunday on ABC’s “This Week.” “The election’s gonna be about the economy and getting Americans back to work. And I think Governor [Mitt] Romney’s prescriptions are much better.”

***

ABC News’ George Will this morning slammed The New York Times for its story this week outlining a proposed advertising campaign to link Rev. Jeremiah Wright and President Obama…

Radio host Laura Ingraham agreed, and offered that this controversy may hint at things to come this election year.

“This to me was a shot across the bow that if you are a wealthy … If you are a wealthy, wealthy person in the United States, you happen to be conservative, you’re going to get involved in this election, then we are going to watch everything that you do, and you sort of step over the line, you talk about past associations with President Obama, anything like that, we will try to destroy you,” Ingraham said. “The idea that he (Ricketts) was considering it was a total false narrative put forward by The New York Times to send a message to other people, don’t you dare get involved in this election, in any type of, quote, ‘controversial’ way.”

***

In the interview, Wright told Ed Klein, author of The Amateur: Barack Obama in the White House, that he keeps a cardboard box of documents and notes detailing his experiences beginning in March 2008, when the controversy over his sermons began. “It’s a painful box to look at,” Wright said.

“Marty had me over to his home for dinner in January [2010],” Wright told Klein. “He said to me, ‘Are you keeping notes on what’s happened to you in this Obama campaign?’ I said, ‘Yes, sir, I am.’ He said, ‘Don’t publish it until after the next election. They’ll think it’s sour grapes. Wait until after 2012.’”

It was at that point, Wright told Klein, that he decided to leave the box untouched, at least for now. “I don’t look at the box,” Wright said. “I haven’t looked at it since I’ve been to Marty’s house.”

“[Marty] said, ‘Don’t write that until after 2012,” Wright said. “I said, ‘I’m not.’ [He said] ‘Don’t publish it.’ [I said] ‘I’m not.’ I haven’t even looked at it. I’ve just put all of it in one box and said I would get to it later.”

***

“I will fight hard for Obama to win. But just as his 08 campaign did, I believe we must elevate & not denigrate. This is the Obama I know”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

“It behooves us to talk about what [Romney] did” as CEO of Bain Capital, Axelrod said. To that end, the campaign has released ads attacking Romney’s business record at the venture capital firm as “vampire” capitalism.

“We believe strongly, [as] most Americans do, we honor success, we celebrate success, but we want everybody to have a fair shot at it,” Axelrod said. “If you ask me, ‘Was Romney good at making money for himself and his partners?’ Yes. [But] if you ask me, ‘Was that a good vision for building America’s economy?’ …The answer is no.”

***

Karl Rove insisted on Sunday that attacking presumed Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney over his work at Bain Capital will not help President Barack Obama as much as his re-election campaign expects…

“We saw that in how the Obama campaign went after him: they put a grand total of $83,000 behind their attack ad, and everybody in the media lapped it up. But let’s look at the facts: Romney invested $180 million in the company, the company made money for a while and eight years later after a flood of cheap-end steel came into the United States – principally from China – it and a number of other steel companies went under – over two years after he left Bain Capital.”

“Over time, I think, this is going to be okay for Romney, as long as he engages in it,” Rove added.

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

I thought booker had some integrity – I was terribly wrong!
He’s nothing more than a shill.

Bambi on May 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Good Morning Bambi.

Bmore on May 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Bambi on May 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

For who?

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Good one..Did you have a “Leisure Suit”??..:)

PS..Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on May 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

As always, good to see you. I was starting to worry. : ) HeIIfire I’m not the leisure suit type of guy. ; ) I do own a few suits. Mostly I wear shorts and t-shirts in summer and 6-pockets and long sleeve t-shirts in winter. Since 9-11, always BDU, all branches. I don’t want folks to forget our finest are deployed, so its my not to subtle way of reminding them. ; )

Bmore on May 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I had sort of a “late” leisure suit, when they started making them out of light cotton to match surf styles….

Had a white one… kelly-green shirt with wide collars….

I thought it looked so different and also I was fashion clueless.

The clue came onstage at my high-school, fronting a Judas Priest song, and this dude yelling out between songs, “TAKE OFF THAT LEISURE SUIT!!!”

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM

What is sick is we thought they looked good at the time. Right now a man could wear suits, shirts, and pants from about 1989 to the present and not really be noticed. However crap from 74 to 84 will always stand out. And not in a good way.

arnold ziffel on May 21, 2012 at 1:36 AM

What do you mean “thought” we looked good. Picture this: polyester hip huggers, matching top, bright blue eye shadow, long straight hair, and dancing to THIS at the school dance?

4Grace on May 21, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Men’s fashion in the ’70s = women’s in the ’80s = vomit.

Women’s fashions in the ’70s…. the best ever.. made women look better than I think they ever have – before or since….

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Girls look good in pretty much anything. We just want to unwrap it. Call me crazy but I still like blue eye shadow. The more the better.
My wife hates it when I put it on too heavy for church.

arnold ziffel on May 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Don’t rush, I like to unwrap my presents slooooowly… ;-)

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

“TAKE OFF THAT LEISURE SUIT!!!”

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Did ya?

Bmore on May 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

My wife hates it when I put it on too heavy for church.

arnold ziffel on May 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM

heh heh… had it unbuttoned to mid chest…. I was kinda ripped in those days! Singing heavy-metal in a leisure suit was my Napoleon Dynamite moment, I suppose!

We sucked, but for some reason chaos always happened when we played. Houses got completely wrecked… lunatic guitarist smashing and burning cheap guitars on stage.. people going through windows….

The memories actually just get better :-)

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

One time at a packed house party, this gang of folks got upset because they weren’t allowed in. They smashed a window and trying to steal our drummer. I looked back, mid-song, to see him being hauled out the window by his collar, still flailing away. He had really long arms and was able to keep playing as another gang grabbed him and pulled him back in the house. Tug-of-war over the drummer in the middle of the song.

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

The same disgruntled gang then broke into the garage, grabbed a chainsaw, and tried to cut their way in through the back door.

They really wanted in! All the girls were inside!

They finally settled for finding the circuit breakers and shutting the power off several times, until we placed a guard at the box.

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

cane_loader on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Sounds like kind of a quiet party. :)

arnold ziffel on May 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM