Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on May 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

What hath the “hoagie summit” wrought? A Sunday morning full of debt chatter, apparently. Paul Ryan will hit both NBC and Fox News to sound the alarm yet again, but the one to watch is Boehner vs. Pelosi on ABC. Lots of media panic circulating already about his warning to O that he won’t raise the debt ceiling again without further spending cuts. Apparently we can’t afford to do that while the global economy is still fragile, although we can afford to let some or maybe even all of the Bush tax cuts lapse in the interest of “fairness” despite the fact that that also poses a risk. Ah well.

For your companion reading, dive into this Yuval Levin piece at the Weekly Standard on the fiscal fruits of the entitlement state. The line-up via WaPo:

NBC’s Meet the Press: Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL); Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI); Mayor of Newark, NJ, Cory Booker; Republican strategist Mike Murphy, Republican strategist; Jim Cramer, CNBC; Kim Strassel, Wall Street Journal

CBS’ Face the Nation: Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC); Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA); Tom Friedman, New York Times; Clarissa Ward, CBS

ABC’s This Week: Rep. John Boehner (R-OH); Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA); George Will, ABC; Donna Brazile, political strategist; Matthew Dowd, ABC; Laura Ingraham, radio show host; and California Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom

Fox News Sunday: Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI); Austan Goolsbee, former Chairman, Council of Economic Advisers; Bill Kristol, Weekly Standard; Joe Trippi; Karl Rove; Evan Bayh

CNN’s State of the Union with Candy Crowley: David Axelrod, Obama campaign senior adviser; Reince Priebus, Republican National Committee Chairman; Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA); Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX); Jeff Zeleny, New York Times; Dana Bash, CNN; NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

rogerb on May 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM

…well played…Upyerassideways
has a deck of those cards he keeps dealing from the bottom.

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Looking forward to watching Ingraham dismantle the tag-team of Pelosi & Newsom, two of the most disgraceful politicians ever to come out of California. They make Boxer and Brown look like paragons of virtue.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM

She seems quite convinced of a lot of things that aren’t here but she sure seems sure are.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

“Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they’re ignorant; it’s that they know so much that isn’t so.”

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Yeah. And Reagan was sure smart.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM

“Branding” human beings. Hmmm, where have I read about that before, huh? I just can’t recall, now where was that…

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The X-Men movies. : )

I thought that was a great way to teach that particular bit of real history to today’s generation, too.

listens2glenn on May 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Ryan v. Goolsbee also should be interesting. Hope Ryan gives him a concussion. It’s hard to do that, though, when there’s so much space between the cranium and the brain.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The X-Men movies. : )

listens2glenn on May 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Hmmm…it’s been a while since I watched X-Men; I think I stopped after becoming vaklempt at Wolverine in his leatha’.

But, I get your point.

Meanwhile, I was thinking back to ole’ WWII and those nasty nazis and their branding madness.

And I don’t think it’s accidental that “uppereastside” is trying to claim that “righties are branding” other human beings, I think his/her point is a very nasty slur, nasty of really foul degrees.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM

brazile telling republicans to give up the “wet dream” of tax cuts.

mind bleach please.

renalin on May 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM

onlineanalyst on May 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Uppereastside, if you have any intellectual honesty at all, you’ll address these points.

Cleombrotus on May 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I’m going to assume the role of advocate for Uppereastside:

“You’re all racists.”

That should cover it.

listens2glenn on May 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

brazile telling republicans to give up the “wet dream” of tax cuts.

mind bleach please.

renalin on May 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Brazile: most foul. Most foul, indeed.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Brazile: most foul. Most foul, indeed.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I don’t quite understand why so many black female politicians come across so crassly. But they do.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM

So, it’s a start. I thought the broadcast was far better for SNL than many of theirs from the last three or so years.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

…first time in years I almost watced the whole thing…Mick was pretty good!

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM

brazile telling republicans to give up the “wet dream” of tax cuts.

mind bleach please.

renalin on May 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I am having a real difficult time getting through this. Only watching for Laura…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM

But, I get your point.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM

WW II was my point.
Remember Magneto’s life story at the beginning of the first episode?

In one of the subsequent movies he displays the number that the German’s had placed on him many years before, and stated he would NEVER let himself be “branded” like that again.

listens2glenn on May 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM

listens2glenn on May 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Well, you’d think that after coming in here for so long and being treated with the amount of respect she does get, as opposed to what a Conservative might get at a Lefty blog, you’d hope that SOMETHING might get through.

Cleombrotus on May 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Wow. It’s nice to see a conservative make some sense on this blog. Thr problem in this country is that people don’t understand each other. Probably because the income gap is getting wider everyday…
Uppereastside on May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Did you catch it? Frankly, I stepped out during part of it; Goolsbee makes me want to puke, and it is too early in the day for tool-induced nausea.

I did steel myself and catch the end. Goolsbee was his usual self, with a mouth full of deflections, distortions, and outright lies, all the while accusing Ryan and Wallace of lying or “inaccuracy”.

Ryan did well, wasting little time with Goolsbee’s reiteration of Obama’s fantasy economics, correcting Goolsbee’s major falsehoods and going straight to the fundamentals.

For those who don’t remember, Goolsbee was the lying tool Obama sent as a messenger to the Canadians. He told them not to worry about Obama’s campaign trail attacks on NAFTA, because Obama was just engaging in campaign rhetoric, i.e., lying.

Frankly, I don’t understand how people like Goolsbee sleep at night, let alone look in the mirror.

novaculus on May 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Newsom – one of the most worthless POS to ever come out of Kalifornia, and that’s saying something. Nothing like screwing your campaign manager’s wife behind his back. The man’s got ethics!

GarandFan on May 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

novaculus on May 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

No, I didn’t catch it. Thought I’d try to catch a replay later. But I don’t need to watch Goolsbee to know what a line of utter b.s. he fed the questioners. Goolsbee is one of the 0bamites who have bankrupted America with economic hocus pocus.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

GarandFan on May 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

We can thank San Francisco for Pelosi and Newsom (I know Pelosi came from Jersey, but she migrated toward the black hope of sickness that is the City by the Bay).

Beautiful city; ugly, lost, arrogant, twisted people, in general.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Uppereastside on May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

How about crooked politicians threatening capitalist so they can enrich themselves. No better example of that then this administration.

Vince on May 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Correction – Pelosi came from Maryland – my bad. Her daddy was a corrupt mayor of Baltimore. That’s all you need to know. Mobbed up. Sorry, Jerseyites!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Uppereastside on May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

…Upyerassideways knows libfreeordie as a ‘conservative’…ok! Who’s gonna change my pants!

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM

That was an interesting statement, but I’m only changing my grandbabies diapers.

YOUR ON YOUR OWN. : )

listens2glenn on May 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM

F@#$ them all. Ryan gets a pass, the rest are blithering, prevaricating sacks of steaming excrement.

Midas on May 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Donna Brazile is a Catholic???

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

novaculus on May 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

He is a punk, kid who has learned the art of manipulation. Unfortunately for him, he’s too stupid to realize that there are some facts that can’t be manipulated.

Vince on May 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’m watching the Fox panel now. When it is over I will swing over to ABC and catch whatever part of their panel I can.

I have never heard Brazile express an original political thought. She is a reliable regurgitator of Democrat talking points. If you put her and Little Debbie together, you would reach BS critical mass.

novaculus on May 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

novaculus on May 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I know there’s a special corner of hell for these people, and yet I really, deeply, earnestly want them to reap some kind of especially painful reward while they are yet drawing breath.

May they live long and bitterly unhappy lives.

Midas on May 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Donna Brazile is a Catholic???

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Vince on May 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Vince on May 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Fortunately for him, there are vast swaths of the American populace who will happily believe him when he manipulates those unmaniplateable facts anyway.

(yeah, I know it’s probably not a real word).

Midas on May 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Vince on May 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM

She said she was when they were discussing Joe Ricketts & Rev. Wright…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I thought Nancy P cane from Baltimore MD , at least her dad was mayor there .

Lucano on May 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

(yeah, I know it’s probably not a real word).

Midas on May 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

What’s the old saying…. You can fool some of the people all of the time. You can fool all of the people some of the time but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time?

Vince on May 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Vince on May 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM

She said she was when they were discussing Joe Ricketts & Rev. Wright…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM

A lot of Catholics think they are Catholics just because they were baptized as one.

Vince on May 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM

(yeah, I know it’s probably not a real word).

Midas on May 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Yeah, as I listened to Goolsbee, I thought to myself that his line of BS was actually carefully crafted to appeal to the low-info voters the Democrats have to have to win. These people don’t think, they feel, and facts are largely irrelevant to them. They respond to whatever makes them feel good, and Goolsbee’s baloney is designed to make them feel good about themselves and enable them to look down on evil Rethuglicans. Axelrod has trained him well.

novaculus on May 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM

May they live long and bitterly unhappy lives.
Midas on May 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Why do you think they’re vomiting all over the rest of us?

Content and happy people don’t act like this.

Cleombrotus on May 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Allah,

Paul Krugman was just on CNN- GPS. You need to see if you can find the recording, the man is calling Republicans hostage takers, bullies, and blackmailing the country over raising the debt ceiling. He just praised Obama in his pragmatic approach to the economy. Claims that if the country follows Greek and Ireland’s austerity measures which he claims is Romney’s economic plan, that it’s proof that Romney has no idea of how the economy works. We would be following a failed economic austerity policy. Krugman: you don’t implement austerity measures during a depression. So we are in a depression after 4 years of Obama? So this is how the Obama campaign is going to attack Romney on his plans for the economy? Krugman strawmen?

Paul Krugman needs to walk outside, and tell us all what color is the sky is in his world.

Dr Evil on May 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Wapo’s Kathleen Parker: Republican’s aren’t wrong that we never vetted Obama sufficiently

…a lot of the sorta further right people feel like ‘look we never vetted Obama sufficiently’, talking about us the media, and to some extent they’re not wrong about that.

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Stephanopoulos just makes my flesh crawl. He is just a sleazy little Democrat tool, and it is just despicable that ABC give him not just cover but a platform. He jumped right in to challenge Ingraham when she made a telling point, misrepresenting the situation and then deflecting.

novaculus on May 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for the link.

Is it any surprise they are again saying it’s a bad idea to talk about Wright? The left continues to paint it as playing the ‘race card’, yet his relationship with Wright has absolutely nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with character, values, and belief – who Obama really is – and it helps explain why Obama has been running the country into the ground. I’d argue that it has more meaning now than it did in 2008.

novaculus on May 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Paul Ryan just owned U of Chicago econ. professor Austin Goolsbee on Fox News Sunday w/ Chris Wallace.

It was masterful.

aquaviva on May 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Did any of the Sunday talking heads mention the Occupy violence in Chicago? Particularly the 3 who were arrested for plotting to attack Obama’s Chicago campaign headquarters?

We all know if these people had any connection to the Tea Party (even if it was a cousin’s best friend’s hairdresser’s mechanic once drove by a park that was holding a Tea Party gathering) the media would be in a round-the-clock feeding frenzy.

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Probably because the income gap is getting wider everyday.
Until we address the growing problem of rich people getting richer while the poor are getting poorer. Until we address how to really fix poverty in this country without chalking all disadvantaged people as lazy people who should fend for themselves. Until we decide to solve our problems realistically instead of ideologically, nothing will get resolved. Oh and until we stop crooked capitalists from buying our politicians, nothing will change.

Uppereastside on May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Geez I hate it when people don’t know what they’re talking about. The income gap is not getting wider, didn’t you study history at all? Think Victorian/turn of the century/poor immigrants. And many Progressives were/are extremely wealthy, always have been. They talk the talk but don’t walk the walk. To me that’s much wose than being what you refer to as Capitalists.
And there have been and always will be poor. Some people whatever their so-called political or economical ideals are greedy. And some people are lazy. It has nothing to do with politics, it’s personal.

Deanna on May 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Has Austan Goolsbee had a stroke? There is something queer about his cadence and facial expressions as he speaks. He seems as though he is really struggling to force those words out of his mouth.

warden on May 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Detroit Free Press Hawaii to Arizona: Prove need to verify Obama’s birth.

I don’t get it? It’s obvious why they requested verification of Obama’s birth. Legality of being added to the Arizona State ballot for Presidential election.

Why does Hawaii keep this sh1t up? It’s just dumb, they have his birth certificate, release it to Arizona, and get over it already.

Dr Evil on May 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM

We can see the narrative, its Bain capital and the lie is on and the fix is in.

So far, liberals are being allowed to perpetrate the lie that Mitt was in charge when the worst happened.

Don’t let the dems have the narrative.

Speakup on May 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM

and that’s the biggest reason our politics is a failure. Thanks capitalism!

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Wow. It’s nice to see a conservative make some sense on this blog.

Uppereastside on May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Yeah, I haven’t seen a slip-up like that around here in a long time. Post all you want about:

and

to see if I can understand the thought process of the other side

and

truly independent minded folks

and then let it slip that you don’t read anyone else’s posts for understanding or debate, and especially not one of the (few) prolific liberal poster’s? Wow Obama 2012!!!/

Most folks had his number already, of course, but that’s a huge unforced error.

rogerb on May 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I did notice Seth Myers said President Obama went to a lot of parties, spent money like crazy and had a rose garden referring to him as being gay.

Probably the most critical episode of Obama SNL has done ever, which isn’t saying much.

Wagthatdog on May 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Detroit Free Press Hawaii to Arizona: Prove need to verify Obama’s birth.

Dr Evil on May 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Why can’t/won’t thinking people here and elsewhere back up those of us who just want this mess solved, in such a simple request as Arizona is making of Hawaii?

If, at any time since 2007, those of us who smelled a rat had been backed by a united front of honest questioners, instead of labeling and attacking “birthers,” this would already be settled!

The anti-”birthers” have played into 0bama’s hands, and helped him perpetuate some sort of big lie that should have been vetted and revealed long ago with halfway decent reporting. Friendly fire and fragging is so discouraging.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Dr Evil on May 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Had 0bama released an official, paper copy from Hawaii last year, all the questions would be resolved by now.

Unless the paper copy didn’t match what he “released.”

Why is a .pdf released by the White House considered proof?

i can’t send a .pdf of my own birth certificate to the DMV to get a license, or to Little League to let my son pitch.

Why is the president above all of us, and granted special favors?

This is so un-American. We are supposed to have the same rights as the president. He’s supposed to be a fellow American, not a monarch. George Washington said so.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Michelle Kwan was as beautiful as ever. Long live the Kween!

McDuck on May 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Uppereastside on May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

We tried to keep Solyndra and GE out of the white house, but our socialist-in-chief let them in anyway.

Ever notice that our best arguments come straight out of your own mouths?

Squiggy on May 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Uppereastside on May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Ever notice that our best arguments come straight out of your own mouths?

Squiggy on May 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Can we let “obamaderangementsyndrom” back in the house? Lowerbackside is just dirt dumb.

msupertas on May 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

msupertas on May 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Sorry, dirt.

msupertas on May 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

One of the strongest arguments for American exceptionalism is that citizens in our country are not locked into a particular economic class. Upward mobility is a possibility for all, but it requires risk and effort. There are no guarantees in life because life is not fair.

Nothing stymies economic mobility more than a central command economy that pre-determines who the winners and losers are. Such a system stifles creativity, drive, and personal liberty.

The Left starts with the wrong premises and assumes that if there are some winners in life’s lottery, then there must be losers whose prize and opportunities are taken away. The false premise does not argue for economic growth. In fact, it fosters economic innumeracy and childish dependency.

onlineanalyst on May 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Cleombrotus on May 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I am going to carry this over to page two, since it doesn’t look like uppereastside or libfreeordie has answered yet.

Night Owl on May 20, 2012 at 2:04 PM

A rising tide lifts all boats. Of course, the opposite is true — when things are going downhill, however, the poor suffer more because they have less resources.

It’s sad that the Democrats caused the Housing Bubble and its bursting, and now we all get to live with the consequences of our votes.

Detroit — home for 50 years of liberal experimentation on Government uplift of the poor. How does it look now?

bravo! Now, stop thinking ideologically and start thinking realistically, sir.

Uppereastside on May 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I agree. Those dirty unions! That idiot Soros!

unclesmrgol on May 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Evan Bayh sure sounded like a Repub today. He and Manchin must be hoping for a job in the Romney administration.

PattyJ on May 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM