Quotes of the day

posted at 9:31 pm on May 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

In Europe, where more than 200,000 people thronged a Berlin rally in 2008 to hear Barack Obama speak, there’s disappointment that he hasn’t kept his promise to close the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, and perceptions that he’s shunting blame for the financial crisis across the Atlantic.

In Mogadishu, a former teacher wishes he had sent more economic assistance and fewer armed drones to fix Somalia’s problems. And many in the Middle East wonder what became of Obama’s vow, in a landmark 2009 speech at the University of Cairo, to forge a closer relationship with the Muslim world.

In a world weary of war and economic crises, and concerned about global climate change, the consensus is that Obama has not lived up to the lofty expectations that surrounded his 2008 election and Nobel Peace Prize a year later. Many in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America were also taken aback by his support for gay marriage, a taboo subject among religious conservatives…

“We all had high hopes for him,” said Filomena Cunha, an office worker in Lisbon, Portugal, who said she’s struggling to make ends meet. “But then things got bad and there’s not much he can do for us over here.”

***

In a swing through the Tampa area today, Mitt Romney blasted the Obama presidency as “a disappointment” and left town with about $2.3 million — part of an expected $10 million fundraising haul for a two-day Florida swing…

“This presidency has been a disappointment. And the people who have been hurt by this disappointment are the American people, and that’s why we’re going to get him out of office.”…

“By his own measure he’s failed,” Romney told the crowd, citing what he said were Obama’s promises on unemployment and the deficit during the 2008 campaign.

***

[I]f the election were tomorrow and I was forced to put money on one of the candidates, I’d say Romney. I also feel that unless something new and dramatic happens–as it usually does, admittedly — Romney’s advantage is more likely to grow than diminish…

Obama’s big problem, I think, is that he is no longer the president he said he would be. Above all, he’s stopped trying to be that president.

The astonishing enthusiasm for Obama in 2008 rested heavily on his promise to change Washington and unify the country. You can argue about whose fault it is that Washington is even more paralyzed by tribal fighting than before–in my view, it’s mostly (though not entirely) the GOP’s fault. For whatever reason, Obama failed to bring the change he promised. That would be forgivable, so long as he was determined to keep trying. But he isn’t determined to keep trying. His campaign message so far boils down to this: You just can’t work with these people. I tried, they’re not interested, so it’s war. If they want bitter partisan politics, they can have it…

To me it seems so obviously the wrong strategy, in fact, that I struggle to understand what Obama’s people can be thinking.

***

The Obama running for re-election is for everything and nothing at once, a creature of calculation. His oratorical skills are seen not as gifts that elevate him above the elite political class, but tools that enshrine him as its leader. Obama has become what he came to Washington to change: He is politics.

There is a good chance the Obama campaign is about to disintegrate, if only briefly. Obama is about to walk through “the valley of death,” where candidates lose their way and are tested on an arid march. In this familiar story, the campaign that could do no wrong can do no right: Pundits who have predicted an Obama victory reverse course and insist Romney is a sure bet…

Obama is asking America to be a polarized, angry country, where we are at war with each other, tearing at our own throats. Romney is asking us to be a country at peace with itself.

Unless Obama changes course, he will not make it through the valley. This is a race Romney wins.

***

The women I know who are struggling in this economy couldn’t be further from the fictional character of Julia, presented in Mr. Obama’s Web ad, “The Life of Julia,” a silly and embarrassing caricature based on the assumption that women look to government at every meaningful phase of their lives for help…

The struggling women in my life all laughed when I asked them if contraception or abortion rights would be a major factor in their decision about this election. For them, and for most other women, the economy overwhelms everything else…

I have always admired President Obama and I agree with him on some issues, like abortion rights. But the promise of his campaign four years ago has given way to something else — a failure to connect with tens of millions of Americans, many of them women, who feel economic opportunity is gone and are losing hope. In an effort to win them back, Mr. Obama is trying too hard. He’s employing a tone that can come across as grating and even condescending. He really ought to drop it. Most women don’t want to be patted on the head or treated as wards of the state. They simply want to be given a chance to succeed based on their talent and skills. To borrow a phrase from our president’s favorite president, Abraham Lincoln, they want “an open field and a fair chance.”

***

The increasing premium on skills and smarts promises to bring us an uglier society in the form of a meritocracy where those who are rich can think not only that they’re richer but that they’re better. That doesn’t simply threaten the incomes of the unskilled. It corrodes the traditional American idea of social equality — the idea that we’re “equal in the eyes of each other.” Cheering on young professionals — while urging the non-professionals to hurry up and do some learnin’ — doesn’t make the problem better. It makes the problem worse. Even if it increases GDP.

Weren’t Democrats supposed to be the party of Everyman? If you went to work and obeyed the rules, Dems would “make work pay” — plus give you unemployment compensation and Social Security and medical care in old age. White male workers are sort of the indivisible denominator in American politics — they have no special economic leverage, and no race- or gender-based claim to special privileges. They’re naked as far as favoritism goes, and thus (not unlike Marx’s proleteriat) are the representatives of universal privileges (such as Social Security). The new Obama coalition threatens to abandon this universality, becoming instead the party of non-universal skills, ethnic and gender identities — of special pleaders, victims and causists. Not of citizens.

***

Obama’s single achievement is something he scarcely intended and likely will lament for the rest of his days: the reinvigoration and reorientation of the right to first principles in the aftermath of the Bush presidency. Prior to Obama’s ascendance, the right was riven between big-government conservatives, libertarians, social conservatives, interventionists, activists, and intellectuals. The right was more interested in its divisions than its commonalities. Years of power had made us sloppy and complacent and sometimes corrupt.

Obama illustrated, boldly and shockingly, the power and drive of a resurgent progressivism. His grandiose designs forced conservatives into rethinking their attitude toward public policy in light of American exceptionalism and the American Founding. Suddenly finding themselves unwilling passengers on Obama’s progress train, conservatives remembered those they had left behind: Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, Adams, and Lincoln. Only in reversing course, in returning to the supposedly outmoded and old-fashioned ideas of natural rights and constitutionalism, would conservatives begin to prepare the ground for a renewed America. That is why Obama’s grade is a D Plus rather than outright failure. Who says conservatives don’t believe in grade inflation?

Barack Obama, future historians will remember, gave new life to something thought dead. Maybe he is a miracle worker after all.

***

A young man recounts how inspired he was by Barack Obama’s “promise to change Washington’s corrupt culture.” A woman recalls how she voted for Mr. Obama “because he spoke so beautifully.”

Fans of the president? Hardly.

Both people star in television spots attacking Mr. Obama, and both help answer a question that has vexed conservatives for months: how to go after a president whose personal popularity remains unusually resilient, even amid lukewarm ratings of his job performance.

The answer: Acknowledge the potency of Mr. Obama’s 2008 appeal. Then steep the ads in disappointment and lost promise.

***

“I just think he should, instead of making people victims of people who are successful, we should be telling people, ‘Look, you are having a hard time, I feel bad for you. Let’s look at what you’re doing, let’s teach you how to succeed. Let’s give you the tools to succeed.’ As opposed to turning everybody into victims, a victim mentality is what he’s selling and nobody with a victim mentality will get anywhere. Ever. They will never succeed,” Lovitz said.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Oh, the memories of the first time I heard that one… 45 record… 8th-grade… hottest girl in school… her bedroom – me not kissing her!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM

LOL!

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM

ElenaKagan on May 20, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Justin Timberlake???..Are you serious??!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Prayers for your father from here also.

AZfederalist on May 20, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Ditto from here cane_loader.

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM

You folks are great. Thank you. Makes me feel better in this tough time to know others are sending prayers. Trying to arrest a steepening (is that a word) decline.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Sort of the anti-Gaga!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Kinda the anti ElenaKagan too. ; )

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Thanks for the update on OC…

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 2:33 AM

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:14 AM

…well…you’re a funny guy too!…and I appreciate it because I know you are carrying a lot on your plate with your father.
My sister has my 94 year old mom. She was good until 90-91 and in assisted living. Has dementia, and has her good moments. Had a heart attack 3 years ago and the doctor gave her two years, the last aorta was closing or something. She yanked her out, since we felt she was declining and just being “warehoused”.
It’s a job you are doing buddy!…but you won’t regret it! My ma has gone two years longer than mentioned, and she loves being with family…though she never wanted to be.
Last week my nephew came home from school and she couldn’t remember his name…she kept calling him Paul! My sister kept telling her his name…and she keeps forgetting it.
Today, I called her and asked her my nephews name…(she struggled on the phone and could not remember)…and then pronounced loudly…”Well I can tell you…IT’S NOT PAUL!”
You’re a good man c_l!

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Flora, that strange funny plain lady doesn’t seem to like us much. Maybe its the crabs. I hear they are hard to get rid of. Do you know what L.I.G. stands for Near as I can figure, seeing her affection for lobster and all. Lobster In ? Gumbo?

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Flora, that strange funny plain lady doesn’t seem to like us much. Maybe its the crabs. I hear they are hard to get rid of. Do you know what L.I.G. stands for? Near as I can figure, seeing her affection for lobster and all. Lobster In ? Gumbo?

Fixed.

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Justin Timberlake???..Are you serious??!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Guess she couldn’t find the perfect Justin Bieber song.

4Grace on May 20, 2012 at 2:37 AM

predator if you’re still here. While I’m on my oingo page. Pedestrian Wolves.

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM

ElenaKagan on May 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM

That’s not “Cry Me a River”, this is “Cry Me a River”.

With a very snazzy Leon Russell on keyboards.

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I left you all a parting song. Come Nov, you all can get on here and cry me a river.

ElenaKagan on May 20, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Don’t leave yet GG. You didn’t answer my question. How’s your money grubbing capitalist business doing?

Oh and btw, how do you feel about your Governor comparing your state with the narrow-minded bigots in Mississippi?

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Just like a cockroach, shine a light on it and it scurries back into the darkness from whence it dwells.

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Ha! Last time I checked, he’s going to thank his new President for saving his life.

Koolaid can watch THAT!

ElenaKagan on May 20, 2012 at 2:15 AM

…State Department had no choice dingbat…once word got out we turned him over to the Chinese…the election would have been over in May and he wouldn’t have ANY flexibility for the Chinese…Who do you think THEY want in November? Hero?
What a dingbat!

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM

We should all have a Hot Air convention at cane loaders. He has been trying to do a bunch of work by himself. I’d like to see Louisiana, even a small piece.

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Goodnight everyone. Sweet dreams!!!

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

There is a problem with the Washington Culture ad.

Overall it’s good, but the Solyndra part is troublesome, in need of an edit. Great: “80% of the companies that got green subsidies were Obama donors…” PROBLEM: out of that long list the ad says “and ONE company went bankrupt.” The unintentional impression given is ONLY Solyndra went belly up, out of that huge list of companies. Pretty good track record for Obama, then. I had thought a large fraction, if not all, had gone bankrupt. My advice is to edit that…

anotherJoe on May 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM

The strange funny plain lady was just mad because I had played Julie Londons version earlier. No wit or sense of humor that lady.

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Good Night Cindy, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:46 AM

And just to show that girls get better with age…

Here’s that gorgeous voice at age 57..

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Goodnight everyone. Sweet dreams!!!

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Goodnight, Cindy.
The LA trip sounds like a good idea to me.

4Grace on May 20, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Goodnight everyone. Sweet dreams!!!

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

…night!…pet the puppies for me!…

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 2:51 AM

When it takes 3 minutes to type 1 sentence, it’s probably wise to get some shut-eye.

Goodnight, all. Have a blessed Sunday!

4Grace on May 20, 2012 at 2:52 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Thank you for sharing that. So wonderful y’all have arranged it so your mom can spend time with the family. Not always easy, but better…

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Running a bit behind the comments… once in a long while I listen to Olivia Newton-John’s angelic voice and it recharges my happiness

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Flo-ra-Duh. Flor-ra-Duh. Cage match smackdown. Lovin’ it.

4Grace on May 20, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Thank you. GG and I had many a go-round when I used to frequent the slime pit at Politico a couple of years ago. If I may toot my own horn just a bit, I always – always – left her with egg on her face.

Fixed.

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:37 AM

She doesn’t like anyone with an (R) after their name, citizen or politician. She once went so far as to say it would bring her great pleasure to see us all eradicated off the face of Gaia’s Green Earth.

And no, I don’t know what L.I.G. stands for, she would only reveal it to those who were in her little private keyboard commando clique at Politico. But I would bet money the G. stands for Gaia, since “thank Gaia for Obama” was one of her favorite phrases.

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 2:55 AM

..**whispers to the keyboard**…(this will drive the eliminators of chit chat people nuts!)
…wonder how Twerp is doing today…probably going nuts that she has no computer… to check in.

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Free bayou cruises… c’mon down!

My little boat gets in places the big boys can’t!
Y’all can take turns watching our backs for snoopy gators.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Good Night 4Grace, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Thank you Cindy!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Goodnight everyone. Sweet dreams!!!

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Don’t let the bedbugs bite!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Goodnight, all. Have a blessed Sunday!

4Grace on May 20, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Sleep tight!
Y’all gotta work for your catfish…. lots to do – like shooting down mosquitoes

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Flora Duh on May 20, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Flora, I figure its Lady in green. ; )

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 2:59 AM

She is definitely green.

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Twerp’s already taken her whacks at me today. She’s getting on my last nerve.

Whyyyioughttta…

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Good Night All, it was fun! I’ll leave you 40 minutes of………….

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Good Night All, it was fun! I’ll leave you 40 minutes of………….

Bmore on May 20, 2012 at 3:02 AM

lol…i didn’t know you could do that!

Petty’s accountant is crying.

lol

good night

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Y’all can take turns watching our backs for snoopy gators.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Gators are snoopy like cats.

you look at them, they move away. you turn your back, they bite yo a$$!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM

You know I think Leon Russell rules!!..:)

PS..Excellent song!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM

That’s not “Cry Me a River”, this is “Cry Me a River”.

With a very snazzy Leon Russell on keyboards.

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Hot!

Reminds me of Dr. John sitting in with the E-Street Band at Jazzfest last month.

Tore. It. Up.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Excellent advice!!..:)

PS..Enjoyed it!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Hey bloggers and all, you might want to consider trying to somehow raise more concern about the Solyndra / Solar energy debacles. This article goes a long way in exposing the absolute lunacy of the green solar “investments” (down the drain): http://thepointman.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/the-sun-is-setting-on-solar-power-the-moneys-gone-and-nobodys-asking-any-questions/

My jnova comment below applies to the link I just gave, and to a photo which shows a solar farm significantly overrun by sun blocking bushes. So check the link to understand my point:

I’m looking at the pictures in your link of the solar panel farm, and at the bushes that are blocking the sun… ??? I’m thinking, what the heck, they spent millions of $ on this complex, and … all you need to do is hire a worker to spray some Roundup. It’s not even expensive. Off brands like Remuda are almost 42% concentrated, and I can get a 2.5 gallon jug of that for 99 bucks, which would last a multi-acre solar farm for years, and labor would be about $15.

What is wrong with these people? They spent millions, even billions. Spend another $17. Who is managing these boondoggles? And looking closer at the plants… that looks like thistle, stinging nettles, which are harsh, but no problem with just a little roundup spray if you get it early. This green energy stuff is a worthless waste, a down the drain money sink. No more.

anotherJoe on May 20, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Excellent advice!!..:)

PS..Enjoyed it!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 3:11 AM

A little hair let down on the overnight thread isn’t the worst thing :)

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:23 AM

I’d like to see Louisiana, even a small piece.

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM

NOT in the summer. It’ll be in the 90′s, 90 degree temps and 90% humidity…

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Think the ad works better with people being filmed outside in natural light. that spooky brownish background didnt do it for me.

Also Id feature more than two people, ideally 3 or 4 in a 60 second ad, of differing demographics

Better yet just put a big TV in any city park on a weekend and record peoples walking-by reactions to tape of O’s promises made vs promises delivered. Zap!

Sacramento on May 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM

anotherJoe on May 20, 2012 at 3:15 AM

yeah, they got the “mow between rows” thing down, but forgot to budget for the “spray underneath” thing.

What a joke. Not well run, are they?

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM

NOT in the summer. It’ll be in the 90′s, 90 degree temps and 90% humidity…

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:24 AM

That’s why we use A/C., and don’t sit in one place too long outside when the wind disappears for 3 months. Fart and you’ll suffocate if you don’t move…

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:23 AM

I hear you!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 3:30 AM

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM

My Mom’s side of the family has a reunion the last Sunday of July in St. Amant. It used to be “dinner on the ground” and singing inside (no AC). Now, it’s all inside. Sometimes, getting out of the car to go in will cause one to melt…

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM

I know the area. Gets pretty hot inside until 2 a.m. with no A/C. Real humid, too – St. Amant is surrounded by swamps. How did the old ones survive?
I’m trying to access my inner Cajun… still no A/C in my place since my big house fire in November. Surviving so far, but push will come to shove, come June!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Hey everyone. Pit stop time…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Your folks have probably run around with my folks. Wild people out dere, yeah!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Hey everyone. Pit stop time…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Well that’s just more laps behind for you!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Surviving so far, but push will come to shove, come June!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:37 AM

It was hot at my Grandfather’s house, no AC only open windows and shade from large oaks…Get a window unit and sleep cool…

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Nights like this, I wish my li’l house was a convertible.

Then again, with ‘cane season coming, I better be careful what I wish for!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Hey everyone. Pit stop time…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Hey ya OC, how’s your tranny?

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Exact same situation here. Recovering from surgery and don’t yet have the strength to lift the window unit back in after the fire

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:43 AM

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM

You are a sight for sore eyes!!..Great to see you OC!!..:):)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 3:44 AM

What’s OC doing up so late?

Night owls only!!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:45 AM

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:43 AM

That sux, so close yet so far away…

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Hey cane, prayers ascending for your father…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:43 AM

That truck is good. Ice cold A/C…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 3:50 AM

That sux, so close yet so far away…

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Hey cane, prayers ascending for your father…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 3:48 AM

I’m a jack-of-all-trades and too proud to ask for help with the window unit. I’m almost there. This one’s not too big, but still heavy. Until then, periodic rubbing alcohol dumped on upper body and standing under a fan does OK.

OC, thanks… trying to stabilize my dad. Classic case of death by doctor. They’ve just layered drud upon drug for years until his whole system is finally shutting down. NOw it’s a case of weaning and exercise, and I hope he can bounce back.

Prayers appreciated.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:53 AM

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Glad it’s up and running again. Good to see your “nick” again…

I’m logging off. Nite all…

Dire, don’t forget the wife-to-be rule!!!

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:54 AM

That truck is good. Ice cold A/C…

OmahaConservative on May 20, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Yeah, the heat’s rising, eh?

Usually here in so. LA the heat ramps up about May 20.

Well looky at the calendar!

Oh yeah, my old R-12 vehicle is my emergency supply.

The holes on the floorboards allow just enough CO in where I chill out and… chill out, IYKWIM

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Glad it’s up and running again. Good to see your “nick” again…

I’m logging off. Nite all…

Dire, don’t forget the wife-to-be rule!!!

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Getting sleepy myself – in Cajun, time to “dodo”

OC, why so late, we’re out the door!!

You workin’ late?

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Dire, don’t forget the wife-to-be rule!!!

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Will do!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Dire, don’t forget the wife-to-be rule!!!

Gohawgs on May 20, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Will do!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Is this rule something I should beware?!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Hey OC, I never did tell you, GREAT job beating the drums against Nelson. Your outrage was contagious.

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Well, looks like I’m the sole survivor.

Lights out!
Troll-gate barred!
Sharks with frickin’ laser beams not fed

Hasta!

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Wow Castellanos really boils it down pretty well. I just don’t see how Obama can retrench as a uniter between now and November considering how increasingly cheap and cynical his politics have been. He can close the curtain but we’ve all seen the man behind it, and really any attempt now to change course will be greeted with the derisiveness it deserves, even by a hand-fed media. No, he is going Full Monty with the divisiveness no matter how much damage he leaves behind.

stout77 on May 20, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Prayers for your father, cane.

4Grace on May 20, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Appreciated. The next 6 months are make or break. My theory is that overmedication is killing him, and so I’m running with that and trying to make adjustments and bring him back. Will be turning 81 next week, but I think he’s got another 10 years if we hit it hard right now. Good genes + clean life + prayers….

cane_loader on May 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Yes, prayers for your father, cane.

Sorry I missed this post-comments, it looks like it might have been entertaining.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:54 AM

stout77 on May 20, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Yes, I agree. Obama’s going full-divisiveness because he only has the emotionally-subjected latched onto him at this point. Only those among this biggest donors with the biggest ego/image investment in him as his 2008 Super Hero image and the other socio-political fringe are still fixed to Obama so strongly that they override everyone else.

So Obama’s throwing them red meat at this rate and time because that’s all he has. He can’t recapture or recreate the Personality Cult he had supporting him before and I thank God in all my prayers for that.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:58 AM

I don’t know if anyone watched Saturday Night Live last night, but, I did and there was one bit that mentioned Mitt Romney AND DIDN’T mention Obama in regards to “who will be President”.

The episode last night was hosted by Mick Jagger and he sang this one new tune, “Who Will Be President” (at least that was the chorus of the song)…

He got to one verse and sang about Mitt Romney, “there’s MItt Romney…” and the only negative he belted out was something to the effect that the only bad thing involved was “don’t let him cut your hair.”

But that was it. Nothing more negative than that so by SNL standards, that was a good thing. Also, that the song never mentioned Obama, not at all. So, “who will be President” omitted Obama, mentioned Romney.

The time’s, they are a’changin’.

———————————

Aside from that — which, again by SNL standards, was notable — there was this new skit called “The Californians” in which everyone was blond and talked like, well, like Southern Californian Breitbart with that particular SoCal accent meshed with Valley Girl.

It was pretty darn funny…they all ended each act by staring in a giant mirror together at themselves in wonder. Funny.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 6:03 AM

The time’s, they are a’changin’.

———————————

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Ohh, I forgot this:

the opening act featured a really, really creepy woman with TINY HANDS…

And here I remarked just a few days ago about Soros having “those creepy tiny hands like Obama.”

Ha, looks like someone was reading comments.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 6:06 AM

SNL qithout Kristin Wiig is going to fall off a cliff. She’s been the only funny part of that show for a while.

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I definitely have a computer-sans spellchecker-and Spawn is graduating today.
HE has decided that he’s not shaving. I’m wearing:Dark blue jeans,hot pink shirt w/long-sleeved black blouse over it, hot pink earrings…and black nail polish.
Goth moms rule!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Congrats to your kid.

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:01 AM

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Thanks!
*Btw:He’s much more conservative than his mom. There’s another first-time voter NOT voting for Zero.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:07 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Well we’ve got 4 more years to indoctrinate him to the left then ;)

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Oh, that’s said every time one of their female stars leave. My only complaint with SNL is the writing — but last night’s broadcast showed an inkling of Funny returning, just an inkling.

I was finding Wiig a tad redundant, and not necessarily funny. She has her moments, though, of course. I liked her “Target Cashier” bit a lot but SNL didn’t use it very often, unfortunately.

Otherwise, Cherie O’Terry was pretty funny, as was Amy Poulter. Wiig was getting a bit tiresome and her bits too gross for my liking.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I doubt it. LoL
@ 18 I was a Pat Buchanan conservative. @ 30 I was a far-right religious conservative. @ going on 42 I’m a libertarian-conservative. Once a conservative-ALWAYS a conservative. *grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Well we’ve got 4 more years to indoctrinate him to the left then ;)

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

What, Obama and Crew are going to regroup on a new version of daily kos or what? Make sure and give us all here the URL so we can laugh at it in “the next four years” while you all venture forth on that “indoctrination” effort while President Romney is busy aiding and assisting American enterprises to produce, employ, manufacture and create.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM

*sense of humor on aisle one, we need a sense of humor on aisle one. Quickly please*

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Texas Tech is in a VERY conservative city-and at least for his freshman year he’ll be living w/ mom and step-dad.
Indoctrinate FAILZ.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I doubt it. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Though a pat buchanan conservative is quite a different thing than a libertarian conservative. I’d say you’re moving in the right direction :)

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Hey-I’m wearing black nail polish to my son’s graduation. I’m certainly laughing. *grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM

If I could have identified as anything in my younger years — pre-college age — it would have been as a Conservative, especially in beliefs and values.

But I fell victim to the Left’s weirdness in college, at least in the beginning. However, my first vote for any President was, surprisingly, for Nixon in his second run and I found all the Democrats really strange if not doof-ish, so I never understood even in my most Liberal years what the fascination was with Democrats or why anyone would ever listen to any of them, much moreso vote for them.

Then I became apolitical with career times. Then, with more years on me, and more work, I returned to Conservative, though I can say that I really didn’t change all that much with the range of ideas, just became more emboldened as Conservative and less eager to remain silent around Liberals in the work years. And certainly now.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Indoctrinate FAILZ.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM

A good friend of mine is a new faculty member in their history department. If he takes the U.S. history survey there’s a good chance she’ll be his lecturer. Hee, he’ll probably not like it..

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Indoctrinate FAILZ.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Indoctrinate FAILZ. <= That's GOOD. :)

Remaining close with family, particularly parents, or even just one parent, means a lot as to how children mature in their world views, so your son's in good shape.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Nah. I’m against infantiicde in the womb, pro -econd amendment, think affirmative action is government-sanctioned racism, think that islam is an evil ideaolgy(no spellcheck-sorry) that should be erridicated, am pro-Israel, don’t hate the rich etc-more improtantly…I can think for myself and make the best choices for MYSELF-I do not need nor want government assistance. I don’t need the government to do my thinking for me.
*smiles again*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:25 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM

What, lib, your good friend instructs Liberal history? History filtered through a Leftwing prejudice? At least you’re admitting it; it’d be a big step forward if your friend did.

P.S.: no faculty member has any decency if and as they “indoctrinate” any student, instead of providing information while allowing students to preserve their individual values and beliefs.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:27 AM

*smiles again*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:25 AM

O

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:27 AM

The Left indoctrinates.

The Right instructs.

The Left uses education to force ideology. Which isn’t education, it’s indoctrination.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Woops, darn keyboard. That should’ve been. On this momentous day in your family’s history I shall refrain from responding to that ;)

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM

He’s a history major. I trust that my son will set your friend straight. He was raised to defend ideas that are right-much like I was raised to do the same.
Indoctrination failed with my dad, with my mom, with me-and it will fail again with Spawn. *big grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Well, congrats to your son, ALT, and good morning now, going to go make supper (I’m on a night schedule at this time so this early morning hour is my evening, so to speak).

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Re: Jon Lovitz

My wife and I have odd TV viewing habits: we usually watch a couple of episodes an evening of an older sit-com, and that’s it for TV (although we also watch movies on weekends). After we finished Mad About You, we went through the entire series of Newsradio. My wife hated Jon Lovitz, probably because he was replacing a terrific comic actor, Phil Hartman, who had died under tragic circumstances.

She hated, hated, hated Jon Lovitz.

Until he started criticizing Obama. Now she loves him.

Johnny 100 Pesos on May 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Congratulations on the milestone!!! Enjoy!!

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 8:27 AM

in my experience. Most conservative students are dismayed about what they learn about American history and some of the mythology of the past that circulates in conservative circles. I’ll never forget the moment we discussed lynching postcards in class and one of my brightest conservative students honestly said “I never expected this kind of terrorist violence was mainstream in America at any point.” He didn’t become a liberal, but he had a much more honest understanding of American history at the end of the semester. Which is the goal.

libfreeordie on May 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM