Video: What would Day 1 of a Romney presidency look like?

posted at 8:45 am on May 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Campaigns are not won on attack ads alone.  A candidate for any office has to roll out a positive vision of their agenda, even when running against a failing incumbent.  Alternately, a campaign can do a little of both in the same spot, and that’s what Team Romney tries to do in the new ad rolling out today, “Day One”:

You want positive?  The tone of the spot is upbeat, optimistic, and colorful, and it spells out Romney’s priorities for his presidency — jobs, the economy, energy, and more jobs.  Competitive? The spot hits Obama on every point: approving the Keystone pipeline, reversing Obama’s policies on taxes and spending, and most importantly, replacing Obmacare with something that works without blowing up an already-disastrous entitlement overhang.  It’s a smart, well-produced ad that challengers can run more effectively than incumbents in any cycle.  Don’t forget that Barack Obama ran on similar Day One promises in 2008, made effective by essentially running against George Bush more than John McCain, including closing Gitmo and imposing bars on lobbyists serving in his administration.  How did those Day One promises turn out? Er ….

I’m sure we’ll see a similar ad in this cycle from Team Obama eventually, although it might be difficult to put an upbeat, positive spin on continuing the status quo while depicting it as a change.  That’s the tough part of running for a second term.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Let’s see who can piss the farthest!

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I can…

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

No anger to vent. Leastwise not over Palin. I prefer to keep my anger, when it happens, constructive. But I’ll tell you what: Let’s see who can piss the farthest!

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Hey Gryph, I understand where you’re coming from and just want to sincerely say thanks for your expressing your intent to vote for Romney. It’s enough for now..

..if your fears are realized vis a vis Mitt, then I will be standing beside you. (Not being sarcastic.)

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Thats a good ad. its for everyone, the new Obama ads seem base oriented only.

boogaleesnots on May 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

yep obama pandering to his base. mitt, kicking his base in the teeth.

hmmm. i wonder who comes out ahead in november?

renalin on May 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Good grief. Still with the Mitt wars here.

It was a good intro ad. “Hi, I’m Mitt Romney, pleased to meet ya” type of thing.

Details to follow.

bluealice on May 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I can…

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

..and he’s all the way upinak.

;-)

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

..and he’s all the way upinak.

;-)

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

she… she

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Don’t want to *POP* your bubble here dood/doodette (and I was a Palinista) but HE HAS, he’s got the nomination….prior it was his job to convince you, now your job is to decide whether to vote for him or not…he’s got the nomination, he’s done that job already.

JFKY on May 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM

And now he has to convince the people to put him over the top in the electoral college. If he is as stunningly electable as his primary supporters wanted us to believe he was, that should be absolutely no problem. As it is, the knob polishers seem a little nervous for some reason. If Romney didn’t have any more convincing to do, then why even have a campaign at all post-convention?

Look, either the people who have said they are NOT voting for Romney are consequential, or they are not. If they are consequential, then YES you bet it is Romney’s job to convince them. If they aren’t consequential, then how come they field such heavy criticism?

I am soldiering forward under the assumption that W. Mitt Romney has the nomination. But therein lies the problem. Many on our side seem to think he’s got the whole damn thing wrapped up in a cakewalk. I’m telling you, I think that’s the worst assumption the Romney campaign can make. He should be out there every chance he gets trumpeting the fact that he is diametrically opposed to Obama on every issue of note — and I personally don’t see Romney doing that, now or in the future. If he continues down the path he’s on, I predict a razor-thin win in the popular vote, and the electoral college to be far closer than it should be in November given Obama’s atrocious record. I don’t think it will be the blowout that it should be.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

juvenile name calling is constructive?

Who knew?

Gunlock Bill on May 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM

No less constructive than bringing up Sarah Palin again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again…[ad infinitum]

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I don’t think it will be the blowout that it should be.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I agree.

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

On the first day, I dont want any of that.

I want Mitt to unveil the return of Churchhill’s bust in the Oval Office.

Day 2 he can do the other stuff.

faraway on May 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM

On the first day, I dont want any of that.

I want Mitt to unveil the return of Churchhill’s bust in the Oval Office.

Day 2 he can do the other stuff.

faraway on May 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Oh man! Can you imagine what a thumb in Obama’s eye that would be? LOL Yessssss! A million times YES!

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

she… she

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

..sorry, ma’am. Truly am.

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

..that’s the spirit! Good to have the “old” gryph back!

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

..that’s the spirit! Good to have the “old” gryph back!

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I don’t change, Planner. The world around me does. ;-)

The reason this excites me as it does is because of my familiarity with the circumstances of the Mau Mau rebellion that brought Barack H. Obama, Sr. to America, which if I recollect correctly, also involved the alleged death-by-torture of Senior’s father, President Obama’s grandfather. The British soldiers that participated in those alleged atrocities were under the Prime Minister-ship of none other than…

…wait for it…

Winston Churchill.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I agree.

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

..doesn’t have to be. I got this fantasy going: they’ve somehow magically counted all of the votes and it’s dead even and — out here in California (yeah, I know, I know) — my vote decides The Pantload’s fate. All eyes/cameras/media are trained on me as I drop my ballot consigning Obama to the hell of post-POTUShood and his wife to a lobsterless future.

(Well, I can dream, can’t I?)

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Day one I believe he should carry out his first executive order banning liberalism. Hey I can dream can’t I?

Snarfum on May 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

…wait for it…

Winston Churchill.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

..what a slice of history. Thanks for the tip. I gotta research that. Oh! The ironical ironic ironies!

(Thanks!)

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

The video as presented, plus:

Looking for all the “R” keys that Obama’s staff stripped from keyboards.

tomg51 on May 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

(Well, I can dream, can’t I?)

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

If something like that were to happen, I would weep profusely for the once-great republic of America. Nothing personal, of course. But no way in the deepest depths of the ninth circle of HELL should it be anything but an electoral blowout. Anything less would offend my sensibilities.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

…and you won’t be the Lone Ranger!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

(Thanks!)

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Three airlifts out of Kenya, I believe. Barack, Sr. came over on the first or second, I think. Anyone that knows more about this than I do, feel free to correct me. I think Juliette of “Baldilocks” fame has ancestry in the same Kenyan tribe that Obama does, and she’d probably be the go-to source for authoritative information.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Let’s see who can piss the farthest!

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM
I can…

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

…one has bombay doors!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I want Mitt to unveil the return of Churchhill’s bust in the Oval Office.

Day 2 he can do the other stuff.

faraway on May 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Having seen that bust, I would prefer the Britt’s to loan us one that is a better likeness of Churchill.

cozmo on May 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

An interesting post from Baldilocks’ blog:

Somewhat dated, but still applicable viz-a-vis the Churchill bust discussion.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

cozmo on May 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

..maybe we can give them a bust of Obama? Or one of those talking picture frames with him reciting his favorite speeches?

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

You tell ‘em. SauerKraut. After all, everybody knows that you define reality according to the moment you live in.
Cleombrotus on May 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM
LOL@Cleo… WTH are you talking about now?
SauerKraut537 on May 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM

In our euphoria over the possibility that Romney might actually replace Obama we tend to forget how far from Conservative principles we, as a society, a culture, and a nation, have come and forget that Romney is not a conservative.

Cleombrotus on May 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

NOMITTNOBAMA 2012!

NO TO OBAMACARE!
NO TO ROMNEYCARE!

What a complete and utter disaster!

Pragmatic on May 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Photo of the Day: Stupid, Ignorant, Smelly…And Geographically-Challenged

Resist We Much on May 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Cleombrotus on May 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Romney’s campaign has depended on, and will continue to depend on, his ability to change the meaning of “conservative.”

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

He is not a conservative as we would like. But he is most definitely not Obama. That is a huge plus.

Zomcon JEM on May 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Well, I don’t know if it depends on it but the definition will certainly be altered once again and the majority’s political philosophy will be adjusted accordingly and it will be that much harder to get back to source principles.

Cleombrotus on May 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Good ad. It’s a start.

John the Libertarian on May 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Day One can have all that stuff, including re-accepting the Churchill bust. But Day One will be several hours (but not 24 hours) long. Here’s how I see it:

Have a muted inauguration parade and ceremony. No need to replicate the Nuremburg Ice Palace grand show. No need to pose as a Greek god. Just a muted inauguration. Then, directly after being sworn in as the speech part begins, pull out a sheet of paper and sign it publicly. The new President’s very first Executive Order: All Executive Orders signed by former President Obama are hereby rescinded.

Then go off and do all that other stuff during the remaining hours of Day One.

John Hitchcock on May 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Busloads and Trainloads of liberish-speaking 99 percenters will be leaving for Edmonton, Alberta.

Little Boomer on May 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Cleombrotus on May 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Still pissed Nancy Pelosi’s boyfriend is sitting on the sidelines I see.

Don’t you worry about Super Mitt, he’ll be just fine – If elected, Mitt will be a President for ALL people- and will show why division does not work for this country.
Mitt is a manager…NOT an ideologue.
That alone is a breath of fresh air.
The TruCon battles you desire are at the legislative level. I am certain you do not want a leader who is beholden only to a minority prescription and scoff at anything less that does not meet your approval. We already have that. And that is un-American, and that is Obama.
No mas.

FlaMurph on May 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM

ABRers, if you can’t come around after watching this one, you’re hopeless.

Red Cloud on May 18, 2012 at 8:55 AM

True ABRs will never ‘come around’. NOMITTNOBAMA 2012

Pragmatic on May 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

IMHO….

Mitt Romney’s 4 years:

After a few initial Feed-the-Base stuff like Keystone, it’ll be 2 solid years of Boehner, McConnell, and Romney finding reasons to dither on genuine entitlement reform, shrinking the DOE and EPA and other agencies, lots of golf, mostly flat economic growth (As Europe continues to collapse), and if the USSC doesn’t kill Obamacare in its entirety there will lots of talk of Replace-not-Repeal culminating in nothing serious in the way of killing O-care.

Then the Dems will sweep the 2014 Midterms and likely as not regain control of the House or Senate, or both.

Then 2 years of Romney blaming the dems for why he can’t get anything done, saying things were worse than he realized and he’ll need at least 4 more years to get real Entitlement Reform, kill O-care, etc. Lots of blaming Obama and Bush.

Then he’ll lose to whoever the dems run in 2016.

Again, IMHO.

Buckshot Bill on May 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM

NOMITTNOBAMA 2012

Pragmatic on May 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Look, we’ve told you before, you’ve got your choice between two bathrooms. Please stop peeing in the pool. Thanks.

John the Libertarian on May 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Then he’ll lose to whoever the dems run in 2016.

Again, IMHO.

Buckshot Bill on May 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Why the fast forward ? Is it an ABR thing ?

Happiness only exists in the present – where we are at right NOW.
Carpe Diem.

Think about it.

“Tomorrow, every Fault is to be amended; but that Tomorrow never comes”
Benjamin Franklin

FlaMurph on May 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Someone jog my memory…. Romney is for Keystone?

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Today he is. Maybe he’ll throw in some new environmental regulations on day 2. Who
knows with Mr. Romney.

ncjetsfan on May 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Great ad!

netster007x on May 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Photo of the Day: Stupid, Ignorant, Smelly…And Geographically-Challenged

Resist We Much on May 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

WLS (ABC radio) in Chicago talked about this yesterday. The protesters were actually outside the ABC television station entrance, whilst radio people entered and left the building at another entrance unscathed. Fail and funny.

Fallon on May 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Good ad by Team Romney!..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Someone jog my memory…. Romney is for Keystone?

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Since Day 1. Don’t be ignert.

Google Romney Keystone pipeline. A new world may unfold for you.

Unless you choose not to pay attention – as the average dishonest liberal does. And we don’t want to be like them now, do we ?

FlaMurph on May 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I’m ABO, don’t insult me with your childish taunts.

Fallon on May 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM

If you’re ABO, then you aren’t ABR, are you? So what are you worried about? Persecution complex much?

Red Cloud on May 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Since Day 1. Don’t be ignert.

Google Romney Keystone pipeline. A new world may unfold for you.

FlaMurph on May 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Yeah, were would anyone get the idea that Romney was opposed to increasing the Oil supply and driving down prices?

From National Review:

When lieutenant governor Kerry Healey, a fellow Republican, called for suspending the state’s 23.5 cent gas tax during a price spike in May 2006, Romney rejected the idea, saying it would only further drive up gasoline consumption. “I don’t think that now is the time, and I’m not sure there will be the right time, for us to encourage the use of more gasoline,” Romney said, according to the Quincy Patriot Ledger’s report at the time. “I’m very much in favor of people recognizing that these high gasoline prices are probably here to stay.”

Oh.

Buckshot Bill on May 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

From one Palinista to another I’ll parse your good words above to:

Some people are hypocrites and have said whatever they needed to have said in order to get “their person” in, even if it was BS; ie, electability.

To your other point, Romney has something that McCain/Palin never had – a really po’d blogosphere (the Bigs for instance) and a really angry base.

If Romney were running against anyone else he’d be toast, but the loathing for Obama and the LSM will have people do what they may not do if the alternatives weren’t as bad.

kim roy on May 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Red Cloud on May 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I was ABR and I continue to dislike the way this whole political season has shaken out for the GOP. From what I’ve seen here at HA, Romney supporters do more to hurt Romney than help him.

Red Cloud, since you supposedly are a Romey supporter, why do you act this way? What do you get out of being obnoxious to people who you expect to vote for your guy? You are no better than a Moby at this point, hurting the GOP and ultimately Romney.

Fallon on May 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Has Romney said anything about his stance on global warming?

What about the EPA?

Or Board of Education and the Interior?

What about 50% of Americans on the dole?

How about the State Department and Justice Department needing to be cleaned out.

I don’t seem to know much about Mitt, other than he’s not Baraka and he is taking a lot of advice from McCain.

Typicalwhitewoman on May 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM

1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than what Obama would do.

ROMNEY!!!!

PappyD61 on May 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Fallon on May 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I’m sorry, I’m the obnoxious one?

OK.

I’m not obnoxious to anyone that I expect to vote for Romney. But if you keep this up I could be persuaded to make an exception in your case.

Red Cloud on May 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM

PappyD61, I know, I know, you’re absolutely right.
Obummer is evil incarnate.

I’m just jumpy with McCain back in the news and radio the last few days. McCain makes me ill that he’s still around, let alone advising ‘how to win a presidential campaign’. eh

McCain is like the Clintons. They never go away.

Typicalwhitewoman on May 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Job creation rose by 33.4% in spite of obummer and co., Non farm jobe lost 3.3% under Obummer. But there is a net job loss under obummer. First day, take a guess folks.

jake49 on May 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Sorry, Job creation in oil & gas industry

jake49 on May 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

(Well, I can dream, can’t I?)

The War Planner on May 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

That my friend is a DREAM I ardently wish to share with you…

SWalker on May 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Watching a chained Eric Holder & The Gang being frog-marched out of the Department of Just-Us and onto the gray school buses (with iron bars on the windows) would be wonderful.

Handing down the perjury charge to USSC hack Elena Kagan would be memorable if only for the shock on her odd little Obama pawn “The plane, boss! The plane!” face.

Agreement with earlier posts that one of the first orders of business must be reining in the EPA. The Environmental Protection GeStaPo poses a very real threat to liberty and serves a major venue for Marxist blackmail and oppression rackets.

viking01 on May 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

McCain is like the Clintons. They never go away.

Typicalwhitewoman on May 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

One day the devil will come for McCain just like he did for Ted Kennedy.

SWalker on May 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Red Cloud on May 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM

You should be trying to persuade people to vote for Romney but you don’t. You continue to insult people you expect to vote for him. Why?

It doesn’t make sense. It’s counterproductive. I’m starting to doubt you support Romney at all.

Fallon on May 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM

It, as a creature who is a slave to NPD, is not going to go quietly. in this delusional behavior he will be supported by his co-dependents, the demotools, led by popessa nanzi. they will not go gently into the dark night of oblivion they so richly deserve. some of them should be going to prison but i doubt the GOP will have the stones to do what’s right.

i dread the thought of what deranged and dangerous freaks are going to be pardoned by Himself.

and It’s most devoted , disrespectful, and selfish of constituents will, sadly, predictably, prove how too many americans do not value nor respect and therefore ultimately do not deserve the privilege of living free under the rule of law in a democratic republic .

so i take it things will look like this for a period- and how i wish that it were not so:

mittens on May 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

How about some indictments across the top levels of the previous admin?

I’m pretty much ABO – and while I’m not entirely thrilled with Romney, I really don’t think he can be worse than Obama, so at the very least we get a step in the right direction. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how that goes.

dentarthurdent on May 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM

How come the press isn’t reporting how the DOW lost close to 1000 points in 2 weeks?

Conservative4ev on May 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Conservative4ev on May 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Heh..Too busy reporting on birth certificates and religion..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I feel for you. I was mostly neutral during the primary, and I think that the obnoxious Romney supporters were definitely the worse offenders on here.

In fact, some of them were so bad that they seem unable to switch to a soft sell approach – which, as you say, would benefit their guy much more than acting like a-holes.

blink on May 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I don’t know why I even bothered to try to get through to him. I’m just trying to give the guy a mirror for self-reflection. He needs to know he’s not helping Romney. Meh. I’m over it.

Fallon on May 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

They tell me that this man has never eaten a dog.

faraway on May 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Nice add. Really well done.

ps – we need a post about Lizzy Warren’s plagiarism of the Cherokee recipes. Unbelievable.

joana on May 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Also, if That One tries a “Day 1″ ad campaign, the immediate question is why he didn’t do such things on day 1 (or any day since) of his first term.

Mr. Prodigy on May 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Let’s see who can piss the farthest!

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I can…

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Not fair! You’re way up high.

Squiggy on May 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Cleombrotus on May 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Zomcon JEM on May 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You are all right.

Romney is a Democrat. He is not a Republican in any sense of the word. He is just using our party.

Personal attacks against Republicans. Bring it on.

Personal attacks against Democrats. Hey what the f are you thinking. You can go to He!!

Well Romney will not win. We should support only Conservatives and use a Romney/Huckabee/McCain endorsement as a kiss of death.

I am not the least convinced Romney is better than Obama. I feel he is many times worse because of the extreme damage he is doing and will do to the GOP.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I don’t think it will be the blowout that it should be.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I agree.

upinak on May 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Imagine how close it would be if the left had put up a less arrogant president….?

Even as it stands the problem isn’t really Obama, but the near 40-50% of the nation that would give up our freedom for a free lunch and guilt free hedonism and rampant sexual license -not all in the other party.

Don L on May 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Nice ad!

Buttercup on May 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Don L on May 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM

So true.

America has become corrupt from top to bottom. A country will destroy its self when 50% of the citizens are convinced they can live off the other 50%. Yet here we are. Americans voting their pocketbook for free everything. A media that is just a piece of the DNC. I see very little difference than the horror stories about the USSR. The communist have beat America without firing a shot. Either we wake up or they will pull the final few levers of power and we will wake up when the death squads start.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM

What can we expect on Day One of a second Obama term?

Throwing Israel under the bus and standing idly by while Egyptian troops and terrorists from Hezbollah and Hamas launch rockets and cross the border.

Show flexibility to the Russians by canceling all missile defense programs.

Ordering the IRS to audit anyone who contributed to the Romney campaign.

Issuing an Executive Order banning all future presidential elections.

Declaring all right-to-work laws invalid.

Removing all border patrol agents from Arizona and Texas.

And so on…

Colony14 on May 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Don L on May 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM

If wishes were horses, beggars would ridee. It is the way it is. And we put up a stinker of a nominee, and now we’ll have to deal with it. Republicans did themselves no favors by settling for Mitt.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Colony14 on May 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Then work on the House and Senate. This is the only way to possibly stop this.

Romney will not allow anyone to run ads that he used to win the nomination to actually win the election. WHY?

Obama loves Romney he would give Romney a Cabinet position more likely.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Really? I mean he’s not at the magic number of 1144 yet. Anything can happen you know. It’s so unlike you to jump the gun.

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Jan 21, 2013 will be a GREAT day! The first of many of the Romney administration!!

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Can’t see the video – but Rush says it had something in it about Health Care. Yeap, told ya! And we all know what kind of health care programs Willy McDole likes best now don’t we? :D

Also – I listened on Rush this morning and heard how Willy McDole now SUDDENLY doesn’t want to run a campaign of personal attacks! My, my, my – he had NOT A SINGLE WORD to say about that when his SuperPac was shi**ing all over Perry, Newt, and Santorum!

Now suddenly – he’s taken a big chunk of the targets right off the table for Obama. Told you guys this t3rd wouldn’t attack Obama the way he attacked CONSERVATIVES.

That’s treason right there – and anyone who votes for this idiot is a fool.

HondaV65 on May 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Because Romney is no fool, that’s why. Because Romney faces a different challenge and unlike you, he’s is smart enough to know it.

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM

HondaV65 on May 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Romney’s HC reform is along the lines of Ryan-Wyden’s premium support model. Stuff that moronic FUD about him proposing a nationwide Mass Care where the sun won’t shine.

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Because he’s a statist Ayatollah – a card carrying member of the establishment and he’s THEIR GUY.

Establishment only knows one way to run a campaign – and that’s the same way Dole ran. And that’s the same way McRage ran. It’s the same way Willard McDole will run.

I mean just look at this – this country is in a deep dark hole – there should be NO DOUBT about Obama’s defeat in November – yet the polls have this thing “close”!! LOL.

Anyway – I don’t want Willy McDole to be President anyway and I’m voting for Obama – I’m certainly glad that Willy has handicapped himself by forsaking personal attacks on Obama.

It’ll make things a lot easier for Obama. Rest assured, my boy won’t make the same mistake and he’s got the whole MSM to carry his water for him!

Enjoy your summer Mittards – it’s going to be LONG AND HOT!!

LOL

HondaV65 on May 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM

What’s “Mass Care” – call it what it is … it’s ROMNEYCARE.

If his reform is along the lines of Ryan-Wyden, then why not just endorse that?

heh – you and I both know why he won’t!!!

HondaV65 on May 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I’m voting for Obama

HondaV65 on May 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Then go troll the HuffPo, a$$wipe.

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM

then why not just endorse that?

heh – you and I both know why he won’t!!!

HondaV65 on May 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM

HE HAS, YOU STUPID SH1T!!

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Republicans did themselves no favors by settling for Mitt.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Super Mitt will be the most Presidential person sitting in the oval office since Reagan. Mitt is a leader, and will restore integrity and decency to a disgraced office. And you scoff at this. Very sad.

That Santo’s and EgoNewts failures, while tragic, probably saved this election for the country and the for the Rs for years to come. Get over it. You had NO ONE to run against Super Mitt. And Romney’s existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, will save God’s greatest country from another 4 years of marxism from the occupier in the WH. You can’t accept this truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about- at your gay bath houses, you want Mitt kicking Obie’s azz, you need Mitt kickin Obie’s azz. Romney uses words like honor, capitalism, market solutions, family values. He uses those words as the backbone of a life spent being successful in the REAL world- not the make believe world of the DC insider corruptocrat you cherish and strive to maintain.
You and liberal friends use those words as punchlines and spin, to twist your convoluted fantasies of some non-existent bigger and better idea on the unaware and unknowing. Your mind is deluded, your core is corrupt.

You had nothing to put up against Super Mitt and lie about that failure to cover your own selfish fantasies.

Now you have Super Mitt- Hero of men.
Thank him.

FlaMurph on May 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I’m voting for Obama

HondaV65 on May 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Anyone with the IQ of a french fry should know better than to openly say that on a right-wing site…unless you’re being an a$$troll.

MelonCollie on May 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM

NOMITTNOBAMA 2012!

Pragmatic on May 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Exactly the same as a day 1460 of an Obama presidency. Absolutely no difference.

air_up_there on May 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM

He needs to know he’s not helping Romney. Meh. I’m over it.

Fallon on May 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Oh, get over it. You people who bashed Romney non-stop for the last year now expect others to care about your current civility lectures regarding how best to support Romney? You are the last people whose advice should be at all considered. So sick of hearing your whiny, boo-hoo, you-were-mean-to-me routines now about how people disagreed with you during the primaries. You were wrong then and you failed to persuade Republican voters away from making the right choice (i.e., voting for Romney), and that’s just the end of it. Time to move on.

I’m not particularly impressed with comments from Fallon and others (like gryphon), who seem to care most about how they’re perceived on here. (“oh, look at me, I’m so conservative that I’m not convinced yet that Romney should get my vote. Romney has a lot of work to do before November. did I mention that he still needs to convince me and people like me, a principled conservative? me, me, me, blah, blah, blah.”)

Romney has been campaigning all year, and if you’ve been paying attention and still don’t know that we must now defeat Obama by electing Romney, then you’re either a self-obsessed idiot or no conservative.

The name of the game now is to win in November, and you should be asking yourself what you can do to help Romney win… not begging for Romney to pander to you during the campaign.

bluegill on May 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM

You have no class.

Hmmm. Just like Mitt Romney. No problem attacking fellow Republicans big problem attacking Democrats.

Just make it official and change to your party of your heart the DNC. Take Mitt with you.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM

bluegill on May 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM

You mean for five years.

Yet during this time he only attacked Republicans. Never a Democrat. Even working overtime to try to get Obama Care into law. Several OpEds and personal calls to RINOS.

The name of the game is not to win. It is to give Obama a second term. History writes loud and clear Moderates lose. Yet here we are with the biggest moderate in history one that hates us as our nominee.

You are sadly mistaken if you actually think Mitt can win. He proved that by taking marching orders from Obama and repudiating his fellow Republicans that were trying to win him the election.

Well to Hades with Mitt. I will let him lose on his own as should we all.

Better still derail the convention and nominate someone who could possibly win. That will not let Obama set the rules in a rigged game of Presidential Politics.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM

NOMITTNOBAMA 2012!

NO TO OBAMACARE!
NO TO ROMNEYCARE!

What a complete and utter disaster!

Pragmatic on May 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Never ever would have guessed I’d find myself voting third party. But I’ve voted for my last liberal Republican. If there were any significant difference as to this country’s future under Romney or Obama, I’d consider voting for the former. But there isn’t any.

Farenht451 on May 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Now you have Super Mitt- Hero of men.
Thank him.

FlaMurph on May 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Boy-howdy. Arrogant much? I believe it IS Mitt’s job to convince the voters to vote for him. You believe it is the voters’ job to vote for Romney and shut up with all the criticism. That, my knob polishing friend, is a difference of opinion we’ll never be able to overcome.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Ron Paul is no longer actively campaigning. Gingrich is out. Santorum is long-since out. There is no more legitimate competition for the nomination. Absent the ever-diminishing possibility of a brokered convention, the odds of which are astronomical, Mitt does have the nomination. I’m not stupid.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Sigh. I can’t even muster the energy to respond to you, a person who has to be the nuttiest commenter on this blog. But at least you seem sincere about what you say, unlike others. I’ve read your rather “out-there” religious comments about evolution and other issues, and you are definitely out on the fringe. If someone as nutty and embarrassing as you is not for Romney, then I feel even better about supporting Romney.

So, please keep it up. You and HondaV65 make up an important part of the Romney-bashing freak show consisting of a small but loud group commenters here at HotAir. Your contributions to this blog show others what kind of nutty people campaign against Romney.

bluegill on May 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

bluegill on May 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Keep telling yourself that.

Ignore all or your candidates losing their primaries.

Mitt never had more than 40% support. Seems to me 60 is larger than 40.

But then to schools now teach to not complain if someone says 2 + 2 = 5. Guess you are one of those skulls full of mush.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM

There is no more legitimate competition for the nomination. A

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM

There never was any legitimate competition to Mitt.

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Note to trolls: MJB and others are making you look like idiots.
Note to MJB and others: The trolls are making you look like idiots.
Thanks.