Video: What would Day 1 of a Romney presidency look like?

posted at 8:45 am on May 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Campaigns are not won on attack ads alone.  A candidate for any office has to roll out a positive vision of their agenda, even when running against a failing incumbent.  Alternately, a campaign can do a little of both in the same spot, and that’s what Team Romney tries to do in the new ad rolling out today, “Day One”:

You want positive?  The tone of the spot is upbeat, optimistic, and colorful, and it spells out Romney’s priorities for his presidency — jobs, the economy, energy, and more jobs.  Competitive? The spot hits Obama on every point: approving the Keystone pipeline, reversing Obama’s policies on taxes and spending, and most importantly, replacing Obmacare with something that works without blowing up an already-disastrous entitlement overhang.  It’s a smart, well-produced ad that challengers can run more effectively than incumbents in any cycle.  Don’t forget that Barack Obama ran on similar Day One promises in 2008, made effective by essentially running against George Bush more than John McCain, including closing Gitmo and imposing bars on lobbyists serving in his administration.  How did those Day One promises turn out? Er ….

I’m sure we’ll see a similar ad in this cycle from Team Obama eventually, although it might be difficult to put an upbeat, positive spin on continuing the status quo while depicting it as a change.  That’s the tough part of running for a second term.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

There never was any legitimate competition to Mitt.

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Again, the arrogance. Such puffery. Once again, the rombots and I have a difference of opinion I fear we’ll never overcome.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

January 21, 2013:

First day of the President Romney Administration.

“First you do a little dance

then you drink a little wat-tah.”

Lourdes on May 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Mooch breaking White House Windows!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2012 at 8:49 AM

By January 20, 2013, the White House will have had to have had a very, very thorough going over as to investigating every nook and cranny because I don’t trust what the Witch Mother In Law may leave behind. Can’t be too careful, gotta’ get all that hocus-pocus-voodoo-hoodoo outta’ there.

Lourdes on May 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM

why can’t the romney supporters understand the profound visceral hatred i have of socialized medicine?

renalin on May 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM

We have to organize Medicare and Medicaid in order to remedy our ever burgeoning deficit. Obamacare simply exploits the worst possible liabilities like some hideous virus upon the economy.

Thus, Romney’s goals include doing away with Obamacare and doing what can be done to remedy the liabilities in federal spending. Call it “Romneycare” and be wrong. But I’m glad that Romney has experience in dealing with a hostile Liberal legislature while accomplishing some reorganization of healthcare spending, use and distribution of care.

Lourdes on May 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Lourdes on May 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

A perfect example of how Mitt Romney has damaged movement conservatism by redefining it.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Indeed.

I often wonder if he is a double agent.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

What would Day 1 of a Romney presidency look like?

Ummm, Mr. and Mrs. Romney attending a bunch of parties?

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I won’t vote for him. It’s time to break this cycle. All the GOPe will every shove down our throat is the next in line statist.

No mas! There is no enthusiasm for this squish.

Jayrae on May 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

No mas! There is no enthusiasm for this squish.

Jayrae on May 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Brace yourself for four more of Obama, then. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. We have two choices, no more or no less. I understand the desire to spit in the face of the “lesser of two evils” advocates, but the only choice left is the greater.

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Just make it official and change to your party of your heart the DNC. Take Mitt with you.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM

No mas! There is no enthusiasm for this squish.

Jayrae on May 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Keeping the ABR zombie narrative alive.
Awesome.

Winning.

FlaMurph on May 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM

America has become corrupt from top to bottom. A country will destroy its self when 50% of the citizens are convinced they can live off the other 50%. Yet here we are. Americans voting their pocketbook for free everything. A media that is just a piece of the DNC. I see very little difference than the horror stories about the USSR. The communist have beat America without firing a shot. Either we wake up or they will pull the final few levers of power and we will wake up when the death squads start.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM

That is over the line.

One of my early mentors was a gentleman from Eastern Europe. He was well educated, Old World manners and had lost part of his right leg fighting against the Nazi’s in the resistance during World War II. As we grew to know each other, he talked some about the war, the resistance and the Nazi’s (and you could see him remembering how they had killed Nazi’s during the war).

One night, after work, I asked what had motivated someone who had done so much to free his homeland from the Nazi’s to leave it. I thought it might be the usual immigrant’s story about wanting to come to America. I was wrong.

He gave a chuckle, looked at me and said, “I had NO choice. My activities had earned me a spot on the Russians death list. They were much more dangerous than the Nazi’s. If I stayed, I and my wife would have been killed.”

You speak of things you know NOTHING about and refer to them casually as talking points.

It is despicable to do so.

You are no conservative because you have no sense of history, this country’s accomplishments or that you are displaying an internal hatred when you casually cast it as evil.

I learned about evil from my mentor and my friend’s parents who had concentration camp tattoos. We stand on a the same precipice of obscenity we did over 70 years ago and so many people do not understand the meaning of the words, “Never Again” which burn in the hearts of the Jewish people. If you are a religious person, pray you NEVER DO.

Whoever’s purpose you are serving here, beyond your personal agenda, is itself evil.

LEAVE

PolAgnostic on May 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I repeat. There never was any legitimate competition for Mitt. That is not arrogance. That is not exaggeration or puffery or anything of the sort. It is a plain statement of fact. I knew 9 months ago what you are only beginning to figure out now. That is why I was able to make my prediction with complete confidence while you were running around in circles all of this time.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

MJBrutus on May 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM

My accusations of puffery and arrogance stand. I never said you were incorrect, then or now. And besides, as things stand now, that’s neither here nor there to me. As long as I believe Mitt Romney merits criticism, I will continue to engage in such. When I believe Mitt Romney does a good job of campaigning or governing, I will say so as well. The knob polishers clearly want more than a vote against Obama from me, as they bristle every time I level criticism at their boy.

gryphon202 on May 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

In the interum There certainly won’t be an office of the President Elect

Do not say

audiotom on May 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I can’t help but think of how sweet it would be to see Barky sticking out his stupid chin in defiance as President Romney gets sworn in.

The Count on May 18, 2012 at 8:55 AM

More like, Michele has to be chained to her seat to prevent her from attacking Mitt. She then glares at him the whole time with a stare that makes Roslyn Carter look like a fuzzy bunny.

cane_loader on May 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM

January 21, 2013:

First day of the President Romney Administration.

“First you do a little dance

then you drink a little wat-tah.”

Lourdes on May 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

*chuckle*

Mitt dancing aroung bare-chested in a loincloth with silver face-paint.

lol

nice image

cane_loader on May 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM

NOMITTNOBAMA 2012!
NO MORE WIMPY PRO-TAX PRO-BIG GOVERNMENT ANTI-MILITARY NON-CHRISTIAN LIBERALS IN THE WHITE HOUSE!
AMERICA DESERVE MUCH, MUCH BETTER!

Pragmatic on May 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

No mas! There is no enthusiasm for this squish.

Jayrae on May 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

nobody cares who you vote for….as for the enthusiasm, talk for yourself, there’s a lot of enthusiasm for the man in the circles that matter…but you can keep telling that to yourself and keep living in your own little world in your head…if only this kept you away from this forum :-)…

jimver on May 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Pragmatic on May 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

America is amazingly lucky that Mitt has stepped up! We deserve Mitt and we should be damned glad that we have him. He is the perfect man for the times. Times that demand a leader who is so welled informed and capable of making capitalism work again. A man who is uniquely qualified to turn around the mess that we’ve made for ourselves. A man who, more than anyone, knows how government depresses and how government aids the private economy and is able and prepared to do what it takes to see that businesses are encouraged to expand, hire and create wealth.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

gryphon202 on May 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

It isn’t arrogance or puffery when you can back it up. I made the call, without any caveats or doubts, and time has proven me right.

As for criticisms of Mitt. Have at it. But when you lie and distort the record I will call you on it.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

MJBrutus on May 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

P.S. I also predicted that Mitt will be our next POTUS last year. More recently, I have predicted that he will win with over 5% of the popular vote to spare. You can call that arrogance too, until it happens, but you can also take it to the bank.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM

MJBrutus: Mitt is a HORRIBLE choice and so is Obama. THAT is the truth! Are you man or woman enough to face it?

Pragmatic on May 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

MJBrutus on May 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM

There is a difference between legitimate and effective. All of Mitts competitors were legitimate as they entered the process and sought votes as Mittens did. Being effective in that is a different question.

Frankly, I despise Mittens am firmly convinced he will be another in a long line of poor Presidents and just as evil as the Kenyan in his own way.The man is not, and never will be, a conservative and will govern as the Northeastern Libtard he is.

If he wins it will only be because it is important to get Obama out. Mittens will go down pretty much the same path, however, unless he really has converted, but I see no evidence that he has.

Quartermaster on May 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM

You made the call that Mitt Romney WAS the nominee. As I said numerous times before, I conceded that he probably would be, but that as long as I had anything to say about it as a voter (and at the time I figured I did), he wouldn’t have it in a walk. Now, with all the other GOP candidates effectively out of the race, he does. You’d have me concede that nothing changed in the interim, and that is precisely why I accuse you of arrogance and puffery.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Do you consider Mitt’s revision of the meaning of “conservatism” to be a lie and/or distortion? I don’t. But when it comes right down to it, you’re either for liberty or not. I don’t see a whole lot of middle ground there.

gryphon202 on May 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I will call you on it.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Kostard mobys wield unimpeachable credibility.

tom daschle concerned on May 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Lourdes on May 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

A perfect example == gryphon — of a tiny mind who can’ t see any farther than the word he/she can’t stop using, “douchebag”.

We already have Medicare and Medicaid. They exist, they’re the source of much of our nation’s deficit, millions of people, institutions and businesses both private and public are reliant on them, and they have to be revised if our deficit spending is ever going to be addressed.

I’d rather have a person in the presidency — as also in Congress — who recognizes reality in that regard and has both ideas as to how to solve that as also has knowledge as to how to accomplish those ideas.

Or, we could have a personality again in the presidency who entertains ideologues with grandiose speeches and ongoing complaints and antagonisms that keep people cussin’ and callin’ “the opposition” “douchbags” and worse, but who is sure good lookin’ on camera and snarks a lot when amongst the other ideologues.

I’ll take a talented and experienced manager as President any day over the various winners of First Glee Club who sure can strut and wail and wear the right colors and knows a heck of a lot about spending other people’s money if not also redirecting it.

Grypon, you have a thin, very thin skin. If you spent half your time thinking things through as you do in calling other people “douchebags” and focusing on an extremely negative outlook, you might feel a lot better than you appear to.

I’ll be happy as can be to vote for Mitt Romney for President. I am Conservative but I’m not an anarchist. I understand that an election has to be won before one can use an office to make any changes, and, I don’t find my values and beliefs in any way compromised or canoodled by Mitt Romney or his political views.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:22 AM

Lourdes on May 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

And you actually believe that Mitt Romney somehow controls what I think about anything, or what the word, “Conservative” means?

There’s a huge difference, in reality, between theory and practice. Theory is great but it doesn’t fly when no one understands how to use air flow.

And it’s interesting to me — just what I surmized over the past years while reading and commenting here — that some of the loudest, if not most offensive, Paul and Palin supporters now devote their commenting to denouncing Romney and the GOP and the opportunity to win this November, if not, in the worst cases, declaring they’ll vote for Obama and not Romney.

I can’t change you, but I really wish you’d stop thinking YOU’RE the Conservatives and the rest of us are not. Cause it’s you all who are “trying to redefine what Conservative means,” not Romney, not me, not those of us who want to get on with this process of standing up for this country and making a very big change this November by electing a GOP President.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:27 AM

I don’t see a whole lot of middle ground there.

gryphon202 on May 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Your commenting could be summed up with “we’re doooomed, we’re dooooomed.”

“Conservative” — unless one is referring to the Conservative Party, a political party — is an ideology.

“Republican” is a political party that incorporates a platform of legislative goals based upon ideology and practical demands and other conditions.

One can be both, one can be either/or. But complaining about one’s unhappiness about the failure to mesh ideology with political party really should cease after a point, otherwise it becomes deconstructive to the political process.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:33 AM

gryphon202 on May 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Indeed.

I often wonder if he is a double agent.

Steveangell on May 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

You two win the Cuckoo Commenting award for today.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Jayrae on May 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Another ^^ contender, however, for that Cuckoo Comments award shows up…

Tell me, Jayrae, is the issue of illegal aliens your key concern, that they’re not well received as you, perhaps, want them to be? That Romney has promised to oppose illegal immigration, is that what’s bugging you about him and the GOP?

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:38 AM

gryphon202 on May 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

You’re a tiny boy faking “big man” insults at others. Rather pitiful, I say. “knob polishers,” “douchebag,” is that sort of crud supposed to communicate anything other than you’re a dumb person with hideous antisocial perspectives?

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:42 AM

January 21, 2013:

First day of the President Romney Administration.

“First you do a little dance

then you drink a little wat-tah.”

Lourdes on May 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

*chuckle*

Mitt dancing aroung bare-chested in a loincloth with silver face-paint.

lol

nice image

cane_loader on May 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Yeah, better an image than the current guy being served pizza on a silver platter when he isn’t lounging on a beach drinking martinis with his golf clubs on other people’s dollars.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Except that I didn’t say that, Butch. I said Mitt Romney tried to redefine conservatism, and he succeeded. I tried to prevent him from obtaining the nomination, and I failed. Thus will I proceed accordingly in attempting to unseat Obama — and let’s all hope that we succeed at that.

As for what “conservatism” used to mean, William F. Buckley and others much smarter than I am spent decades putting theory into practice. What do you think they’d say about Mitt now?

Except that I’m not one of them, Butch. I dislike Mitt Romney. A lot. But not enough for me to choke on another four years of Obama. Believe me, I’m getting it from both sides.

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:27 AM

I’m trying to redefine conservatism? Really? William F. Buckley would have thought that Romneycare was conservative? REALLY?! Whatever, Butch. If I have seen farther, it is only because I stood on the shoulders of giants. Keep polishing that knob, douchebag. My vote for Mitt in November does NOT make him immune to criticism as far as I’m concerned. If that really bothers you, support the conservative choice next cycle instead of the safe moderate squish.

gryphon202 on May 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Lourdes on May 20, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Keep polishing that knob, douchebag. ;)

gryphon202 on May 20, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Look, from a strictly political standpoint, this is really simple: Some people believe Mitt Romney is conservative. Some do not. Some folks who believe that Mitt Romney is not conservative will vote against Obama (and help Mitt in the process) anyway. Some will not. You bet your sweet ass Romney should be pandering to those people. That is, he should be pandering to them if he really wants to win and win decisively. If Mitt Romney isn’t taking every opportunity he can to diametrically oppose Obama’s every last policy, I believe there will be some Republican voters he could seal the deal with and won’t. And that will continue to be the case as long as (for example) he continues to insist that Romneycare was the right move in Massachusetts.

gryphon202 on May 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM

There never was any legitimate competition to Mitt.

MJBrutus on May 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM

You’re feeding my inner conspiracy theorist.

Regardless, I find it amusing how similar the Mittwits’ assertions concerning a Romney Presidency are to the Obamaphiles’ in 2008. “The economy will instantly and dramatically improve!” “We’ll have oil again!” “We’ll get rid of socialism!”

Romney isn’t a very good candidate, despite the advantages he enjoyed this primary season. He has shown himself quite willing to embrace big, intrusive government, with his declaration that he would have signed into law the NDAA of 2012 (and which a Federal Judge has now blocked because it is an unConstitutional granting of power to the Executive Branch). He exposes himself as a devotee of Lord Keynes, with his proclamation that cutting government spending “too much” would “shrink the economy” (because only the government could spend that money–which rightfully belongs to us–to grow the economy). He thinks that trade is a zero-sum game where one party “wins” and the other “loses” (hence, his call for some sort of punishment for the Chinese government for “devaluing” its currency and “increasing their exports at Americans’ expense”). He says he’ll “repeal” Obamacare, but with a squishy Congressional GOP, I have little hope that that will really happen. The man might have been a good businessman, but that doesn’t mean he knows beans about economics.

A Romney presidency would see a continued decline in the value of our money, a continued policy of increasing government power over our lives to “fight terrorism”, and a continued decline in the economy. Vote for him if you wish, but other than the fact that he espouses some conservative-sounding rhetoric, there is really not much with which one could compare him favorably to Obama.

cavalier973 on May 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Perhaps there is a reason that Romney was given undue advantage this primary season (contests moved forward that benefitted him, state contests switched from “winner take all” to proportional awarding of delegates, general skullduggery when picking actual delegates): he was meant to lose.

Interesting tidbit from the above link: Romney spent his own money to run ads against the Flat Tax, because it “benefitted the rich too much”. Right. I’m supposed to believe this guy will be a whole lot different from what we’ve got now. I want Obama gone, but I don’t want to simply replace him with a Republican version of Obama.

cavalier973 on May 21, 2012 at 12:49 AM