Quotes of the day

posted at 9:25 pm on May 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

Calories, number of hours spent exercising, number of pounds to lose, those who are overweight now have a new number to worry about: a “fat” tax…

A tax of at least 20 percent placed on sugar-sweetened drinks could drop obesity rates by 3.5 percent and prevent 2,700 heart-related deaths each year, according to the study…

According to the study, some food industry groups say higher taxes could damage the industry and lead to job losses.

But some experts say that cost to jobs is not as risky as the economic cost if Americans remain obese. Obesity costs American businesses $70 billion in lost productivity, another statistic presented in the HBO documentary series.

***

A whopping 96% of main entrees sold at top U.S. chain eateries exceed daily limits for calories, sodium, fat and saturated fat recommended by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, reports the 18-month study conducted by the Rand Corp. and funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

“If you’re eating out tonight, your chances of finding an entree that’s truly healthy are painfully low,” says Helen Wu, assistant policy analyst at Rand who oversaw the study. It examined the nutritional content of 30,923 menu items from 245 restaurant brands across the USA. “The restaurant industry needs to make big changes to be part of the solution,” she says.

***

“Economists generally agree that government intervention, including taxation, is justified when the market fails to provide the optimum amount of a good for society’s well-being,” writes Mytton. “[This] include[s] a failure to appreciate the true association between diet and disease, time inconsistency (preference for short-term gratification over long-term well-being), and not bearing the full health and social costs of consumption.”…

Other studies have shown people with lower incomes struggle more with weight gain. In the review, the authors argue a tax could greatly influence the eating habits of lower-income people. “There is some evidence that those who are poorer are more sensitive to price changes and so would experience greater dietary improvements,” writes Mytton.

But just how plausible is this fat tax? The authors note that the food industry argues taxes would be ineffective, unfair and would lead to job losses in the industry. But U.S. opinion polls show support for sugared beverage taxes ranges from 37% to 72%; people tend to be more in favor when the health benefits of fat taxes are emphasized. Previous studies show that a sharp tax hike on cigarettes in 2009 led to a significant decrease in U.S. smokers. The hope is that a fat tax could produce the same results.

***

Make junk food harder to find. Redesign the layouts of grocery stores and cafeterias. Make good-for-you-foods easier to find and make sugar-sweetened beverages and fatty packaged pastries something you have to go on a treasure hunt for. Relegate obesity-promoting foods to bottom shelves and do not give them prime real estate…

Ban unhealthy portion size advertising. I think anything with the word “monster,” “jumbo,” “enormous,” “gut-buster,” or any such verbiage that describes huge portion sizes should not appear in advertising. I do think calorie, saturated fat, and sodium levels should be proudly displayed in all food and beverage advertisements. You want to promote a big gulp? Great. Also post what the cost of gastric bypass surgery is these days. You want to promote overeating on a food show? Great. Also post a Surgeon General’s warning that this type of behavior may also cause diabetes, contribute to heart disease, lead to erectile disorder…you get the idea…

Make federal funding of healthy communities a priority. The CDC gave 17 million dollars to the 2nd fattest city in America (Nashville) to improve city bike and walk ways among other projects to get citizens to move. They have also implemented exercise programs for their police and fire departments to help them get and stay in shape. Many communities do not have adequate sidewalks, ample lighting, or parks and recreational facilities to encourage their citizens to get moving. What wasn’t discussed was the cost of park district or health club memberships. Financial barriers need to be knocked down between those who want to be physically fit and the facilities that can help make that happen.

***

Ice cream versus obesity is the key imponderable about the whole policy. I find there’s a striking contrast with the idea of a congestion-based road tax, as advanced by the Institute for Fiscal Studies this week. The case for the congestion tax is pretty unanswerable: every driver who joins rush-hour traffic is making it worse for every other driver. If we could all get together and agree to drive a bit less, we’d all be better off because when we did drive, our journeys would be quicker and less uncertain. But we can’t enforce that kind of agreement, hence the need for the tax.

It’s all the same: obesity is bad and traffic is bad. I’m not sure why you’re trying to make a distinction.

It’s not the same at all. Each driver causes a problem for others and she can’t be expected to take that into account. But an ice cream lover is causing a problem only for himself. It remains to be demonstrated that he would find an ice cream tax helpful.

***

Twinkies and Coke are only half the problem; making them expensive might deter customers, but it won’t make vegetables cheap. It also won’t make it easier for people in food deserts to access fresh food, and it won’t teach people how to make healthy meals. And what’s really horrifying is that, for people who can literally barely afford to feed their families junk food from the 99-cent store, raising prices on even bad-for-you foods would mean that they basically don’t get to eat enough. So not only would they be malnourished; they’d literally be starving.

There are plenty of other logistical issues, like how we would define “unhealthy” foods, and how difficult it would be to implement. But what’s most frustrating to me about the whole idea of a ‘fat tax’ is that it completely overlooks the fact that those foods are cheap to begin with because of food subsidies.

If you’re not familiar with food subsidies, the basic concept is that the government gives money to certain agricultural industries in order to supplement their income, thereby influencing the cost and supply of certain commodities. In the U.S., the meat and dairy industries get huge boosts from the government, as do corn farmers—which is part of why things like Twinkies, Coke, and cheeseburgers are so damn cheap.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Just for you.

LOL, ROFL, LOLOL, LOLZ,
;/
:P

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:39 AM

(Should I? Do I dare? Oh, what the heck, just this once won’t hurt)

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Gotta wake up, peoples!!!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I was rockin out! They were required playing at many a high school partay.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM

I was rockin out! They were required playing at many a high school partay.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Did you see the “Shoot To Thrill” I posted earlier? (That one’s one of my all-time favorites by AC/DC.)

REPEAT: Check out the crowd in the video! Holy Cow!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Excellent tune!!..:)

PS..This one goes in the Archives!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

I’ll bet it’s when I was going after Pragmatic.

John the Libertarian on May 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Isn’t he just the greatest? I have such a crush on Prag. Can’t decide if that’s due to his unparalleled intellect or sparkling personality.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Or, is that faked for the stupid Hollywood movie?
(Doesn’t look like it to me, but how could you tell these days? Odumbo got elected, after all.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:11 AM

(Should I? Do I dare? Oh, what the heck, just this once won’t hurt)

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Awesome. (I’ve screencapped it for future blackmail purposes.)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:12 AM

On the serious tip, I think we need to form a business partnership. You are aware of the Facebook IPO, yes?

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:04 AM

We have to wait till after November 6. I want the chance to vote Obama out of office before I renounce my citizenship.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:14 AM

REPEAT: Check out the crowd in the video! Holy Cow!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Yes, I did see that. That stadium was insane!

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:15 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

He is rather dashing.

Or bashing? Can’t figure which.

John the Libertarian on May 19, 2012 at 3:15 AM

PS..This one goes in the Archives!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Nice, along with Carolina

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 3:16 AM

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:14 AM

LOL!!
(Unashamedly typed that, this time!)
(You realize, of course, that by then, little Chucky Schumer will have made our escape to Rio, and elsewhere, impossible?)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Awesome. (I’ve screencapped it for future blackmail purposes.)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Oh yeah?

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Seems two can play at this game.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:18 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Yes, I did see that. That stadium was insane!

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Check this one out!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Not 70s, but I like this one.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:20 AM

PS..This one goes in the Archives!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Nice, along with Carolina

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Changing the channel guys (although to something similar).

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:20 AM

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:18 AM

OK, you win. Wasn’t even close.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:22 AM

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 3:16 AM

I agree 100%..:)

PS..His Ex-Wife had an excellent tune also!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:23 AM

OK, you win. Wasn’t even close.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:22 AM

LOLOLOL GTFO Noob!!!1!

;)

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:26 AM

You screwed up your link, buddy.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:23 AM

You screwed up your link, buddy.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:26 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:27 AM

LOLOLOL GTFO Noob!!!1!

;)

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Oh dear. My sincerest apologies for that outburst.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Check this one out!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Isn’t Teh Won using the same stadium for his victory concession speech? Or, will he need to downsize? Whoa, won’t that be a logistical nightmare trying to get those Greek columns into the local I-Hop?

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Great tune..This one goes in the Archives!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Not 70s, but I like this one.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Where’s Axl in a military uniform? (Lol.)
Can you believe…that was my favorite band when I was seventeen?
(Big Lol.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Changing the channel guys (although to something similar).

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:20 AM

That song is so catchy. It always gets stuck in my brain for days each time I hear it.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:30 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Thanks for correcting me!!..:):)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:30 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I agree.:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:32 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM

This is my QOTD! (LOL!!!1!)

Great tune..This one goes in the Archives!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM
Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I know you love that one. I like it, but there’s much better by S&G, IMO. No problemo on the correction. Good tune, Great voice.

Did you ever see “Spinal Tap”?

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Oh dear. My sincerest apologies for that outburst.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Yeah, right. I can see the sarcasm dripping on my keyboard. :D (a different emoticon, juuuust to keep you guessing)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:34 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Hopefully The Who will NOT perform!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:34 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:35 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM

This is my QOTD! (LOL!!!1!)

Thread winning post!!

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:37 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:34 AM

OK, OK, fair enough, GTFBackI.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Great tune..This one goes in the Archives!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM

As does THIS and THIS.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:38 AM

“…Tall blond geek with glasses. Great look.”
“Good drummer.”
“Solid.”

This one’s quick with my money quote.

But, this one, that I haven’t watch all the way through might be better.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Hopefully The Who will NOT perform!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Nah, but someone will fire up the jukebox with The Who’s “Who Are You.” The unedited version. :)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:42 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:38 AM

I will definitely go along with that!!..:)

PS: My sister would agree..She loved S&G..!!

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Let’s hope not!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:45 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Great stuff (links)!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:47 AM

As does THIS and THIS.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Always loved “Bookends”, though the “Old Friends” part did nothing for me.

I have posted “America” before, but not this other favorite.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:48 AM

I need to go back & watch Spinal Tap again. It’s been too long and I could use the belly laughs.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Well, in case you guys are still here,
I’ll say goodnight, via Ringo (of all people).

Night!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:52 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:50 AM

My favorite movie. (I’m a simple man.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:52 AM

I have posted “America” before, but not this other favorite.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Definitely. Not just a S&G classic, but a put-it-in-a-time-capsule classic.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:53 AM

OK, now it’s time for me to GTFO. Goodnight everyone.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Night RedCrow.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Goodnight, RC. It was fun, as always.

Goodnight, RINO. I’ll always treasure that emoticon.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 3:55 AM

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Night RINO, nice chatting and chitting with you.
(Homework: Think up some names for our company. I’m thinking, “Really?!?” with our product applied to the name. Yes?)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Oh, and 4Grace, no hard feelings, but just remember, so much as the slightest mention of this will result an the immediate widespread dissemination of this.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:58 AM

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Ha. Nary a peep from me. I’m emailing Ed & Allah as we speak to request that it be forever scrubbed.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 4:01 AM

One more and I’m outta here. Following the S&G songs with just the G.

Goodnight, Dire (and anyone else still out there)!!

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Bloomberg or Michelle, take your pick…

Gohawgs on May 19, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Let’s see if we can come up with a plan to destroy the low cost restaurant/bakery/take out business nationwide. Now that we have devastated the coal business we need to move and eliminate the jobs in some other sector.

Viator on May 19, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Leave the fat people alone. If they take up two seats and pay for both, and keep their health premiums up to date, they should be able to expect to be left the hell alone. Besides, hell hath no fury like an overweight person scorned:

stout77 on May 19, 2012 at 6:12 AM

There’s almost 100% agreement, except for a few wingnut dissenters like Thomas Sowell, Milton Friedman, Thomas Woods, those in the Chicago School and a couple of others too lame to mention.

Sincerely,

Paul Krugman

Burke on May 19, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Remember, now, freedom of speech will make you fat!

What absolute and utter stupidity.

And eating fat slows the intake of calories and nutrients, giving you time to digest them slowly and more thoroughly. Want that buzz from alcohol to last longer? Eat a few of those yummy cheese sticks of deep fried mozzarella!

It’s like Mark Twain said about diet plans… they are fine and dandy but you wouldn’t want to follow one because you could die of a misprint. What if we found out that eating all those carbohydrates pushed by the ‘food pyramid’ actually process through faster to blood sugar which your body stores as fat which leads to becoming overweight? Spooky, huh? The government gets the dietary structure long because of Big Ag… now we pay with higher weight and more authoritarian government that wants to ‘fix’ a problem it has been pushing for decades. Why don’t we just get rid of the Dept. of Agriculture and all the price supports, subsidies and preferences it uses to bias the system which induces Big Ag to lobby it for ‘help’? Because that ‘help’ is killing us… and now its eating into our fiscal solvency as a Nation and the authoritarian Nannystaters don’t want to admit to a mistake when it is slapping them upside the head wit a 2×4.

Mind you, we can’t get a set of politicians to back actually pulling back the Nannystate and the ‘entitlement’ state, and they wonder why doing the same thing over and over isn’t fixing anything. Perhaps the intent and regulations that come with them are at the wrong part of the scale end of the spectrum and that more from bigger doesn’t yield better but worse on a larger scale when you get it WRONG? Better to be wrong at a lot of small scale areas and let people figure it out on their own on how to make things amenable to them at that scale than to get it wrong on the large scale and have a Nation suffer.

Who would have thought that eating would put your 1st Amendment rights in the cross-hairs of the Nannystate? Its almost like this system is designed to create less liberty and freedom via regulation and ‘good’ intent. Who woulda seen that coming, other than a bunch of smart guys back in the late 18th century….

ajacksonian on May 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM

How about a ‘stupidity’ tax. Stupidity costs the average American orders of magnitude more severely than brownines. I realize it wouod hit Democrats proportially highrer than Republicans – like 100;1, but it works on the same principle as other taxes. Just a thought.

mouell on May 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM

So a fat tax “could” reduce obesity rates but if it doesn’t what then? Do we acknowledge the mistake and repeal the tax?

Fat chance! I can even hear the Krugmanesque response to the failure now: “the tax wasn’t large enough”.

Nomas on May 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM

You know, this obesity crap is also an attack on cultures. What is the one thing, possibly the biggest thing, the most important thing that can distinguish one culture from another? It’s food. Food represents individualism. It represents nationality. It represents home. Family. Fun. This is just one more reason why what we eat is under assault.

The foods we eat, various and distinct as they are, must all bow to the government standard. All our different foods must become one.

And if we are eating the same then that will help to make us all the same… rid us all of our various traditions, dishes, festivals and celebrations. That special pasta meal your mom made with it’s rich sauce or that special meat dish you guys always loved that was handed down from generations is evil and needs to be thrown away and forgotten for the government standard diet imposed on you by the bureaucrats! No.. that wasn’t a wonderful meal… it was bad and your mom was stupid and backwards and was killing your family! And those scrumptious pies, cakes and breads that only she could bake are just plain wrong! Evil and bad for you! They must be gotten rid of for the sake of the people! And that little wonderful memory of you and your dad getting a funnel cake or an ice-cream cone at the fair, that became a tradition that you now do with your children never was good. Oh sure, it seemed like such an innocent thing and seemed to give you this warm feeling of love for your dad but it was all just deception and wickedness! Your father was killing you! It wasn’t an example of love! It should be remembered as an example of ignorance and foolishness! He wasn’t loving you.. he was clogging your arteries and making you fat! Never should it be repeated again!

This obesity crap is pure evil! The government has zero business telling people what and how much they should or shouldn’t eat! Especially since the government itself is trying to consume everything it touches!

JellyToast on May 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM

JellyToast on May 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM

oops sorry…i did not mean to do a double post.. sorry!

JellyToast on May 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

JellyToast on May 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

No worries, it was just as good the second time! Thumbs up.

This administration is always trying to demonize “the other.” Used as a societal and political wedge, it also relates to this.

Fallon on May 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

It is not as difficult to define what is “fat food” and should be taxed and what is “healthy food” and should not be taxed as some imply. Those manufacturers which donate to the Obama campaign will have products that are not taxed and those that do not contribute will have products that are taxed. The blessing of federal control for a progressive is the ability to effectively sell indulgences for power and profit.

KW64 on May 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Eliminate all ag subsidies instead of a “fat tax” — will have same result. Junk food easy to process and cheap to make out of corn products won’t be so cheap anymore, consumers won’t buy and consume as much, may eat more healthy alternatives such as fruit. Life goes everyone is skinnier and happier except for Red State co-ops.

Bradky on May 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM

JellyToast on May 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Nice try at waxing sentimental but the reality is that in the “good ol days” people’s lifespan was considerably shorter, transportation to move varieties of food was not economically viable, and the state fair came once a year.

I don’t agree with a fat tax but I abhor ag subsidies which have given us ethanol and junk food.

Bradky on May 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I think they should have a fat ass tax for airline passengers whose blubber spills over into my space…

Bradky on May 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Bradky on May 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I have no idea how that relates to much of what I stated.
As for people’s life spans, I think they get considerably shorter in police states. And by the way, while ours had the greatest expansion while free. But whether life spans go up or down naturally.. so what? It’s not the government’s business. On the one hand, they want us to eat so called healthier foods to lower health care costs… keep us going right up to the time the death panel can pull the freakin plug all for the same reason… to lower the freakin cost! To a bureaucrat… our life is valued in dollars… by how many dollars they can take from, us vs how many dollars we “cost them!” I don’t want to cost the government any money! I want it to leave me alone!

JellyToast on May 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

This administration sure knows how to pit citizens against each other.

Cindy Munford on May 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Yeah, Healthcare isn’t going to cost much. We just need to audit the layout of grocery stores….

Axeman on May 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I am 58 years old. I’m 6’2″. Over the last 40 years my weight has ballooned from 135 lbs. to 147. My cholesterol just sits at that “keep an eye on it level”. I eat at a fast food place, maybe, once a week. I do love my chips, coke and non-light beer. I have used 3 sick days over the last 6 years.

Why do I have to pay a Fat Tax? I will be punished because someone else is overweight. I guess it’s a shared sacrifice thing. My life becomes a little greyer to pay for someone who refuses to do what is best for themselves without the gov’t forcing them to.

SoCalOilMan on May 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM

JellyToast on May 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

It relates to what you said as follows:
If a person has a shorter lifespan the types of things that cause clogged arteries and the like have less impact overall than for people who live longer. The longer lifespans are due to medical advances and the like.

And it is not the government’s business to be involved with subsidizing certain types of food or taxing the byproducts of that food. Don’t you see the delicious irony?
Mostly red states enjoy enormous ag subsidies and produce lots of corn which is used to produce cheaper albeit fatty food. Then Obama gets the great idea to tax the output from these products.
You are getting it on both ends but do not realize that because of your political filters on how you look at things.
And your scree about death panels is well silly.

This administration sure knows how to pit citizens against each other.

Cindy Munford on May 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

They learned well from the Neocons. Take theirs not mine. it should become our national motto. all 300 million of us deserve it.

Bradky on May 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Bradky
on May 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM

No dice, Bradky. NOBODY enjoys subsidies, except those who can’t “make it” in the strictest capitalist sense.
In this case, that means those who don’t know how to farm.

This administration sure knows how to pit citizens against each other.

Cindy Munford on May 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Bradky on May 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM

On what basis do you believe you can get away with branding Conservatives with the description of Liberal, Socialized-government Progressives? That’ll never fly.

listens2glenn on May 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

listens2glenn on May 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Your handle tells me all I need to know about you…

Won’t be responding to your screes in any other threads but just wanted to let you know that. Go find a caliphate conspiracy or something…

Bradky on May 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM