Quotes of the day

posted at 9:25 pm on May 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

Calories, number of hours spent exercising, number of pounds to lose, those who are overweight now have a new number to worry about: a “fat” tax…

A tax of at least 20 percent placed on sugar-sweetened drinks could drop obesity rates by 3.5 percent and prevent 2,700 heart-related deaths each year, according to the study…

According to the study, some food industry groups say higher taxes could damage the industry and lead to job losses.

But some experts say that cost to jobs is not as risky as the economic cost if Americans remain obese. Obesity costs American businesses $70 billion in lost productivity, another statistic presented in the HBO documentary series.

***

A whopping 96% of main entrees sold at top U.S. chain eateries exceed daily limits for calories, sodium, fat and saturated fat recommended by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, reports the 18-month study conducted by the Rand Corp. and funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

“If you’re eating out tonight, your chances of finding an entree that’s truly healthy are painfully low,” says Helen Wu, assistant policy analyst at Rand who oversaw the study. It examined the nutritional content of 30,923 menu items from 245 restaurant brands across the USA. “The restaurant industry needs to make big changes to be part of the solution,” she says.

***

“Economists generally agree that government intervention, including taxation, is justified when the market fails to provide the optimum amount of a good for society’s well-being,” writes Mytton. “[This] include[s] a failure to appreciate the true association between diet and disease, time inconsistency (preference for short-term gratification over long-term well-being), and not bearing the full health and social costs of consumption.”…

Other studies have shown people with lower incomes struggle more with weight gain. In the review, the authors argue a tax could greatly influence the eating habits of lower-income people. “There is some evidence that those who are poorer are more sensitive to price changes and so would experience greater dietary improvements,” writes Mytton.

But just how plausible is this fat tax? The authors note that the food industry argues taxes would be ineffective, unfair and would lead to job losses in the industry. But U.S. opinion polls show support for sugared beverage taxes ranges from 37% to 72%; people tend to be more in favor when the health benefits of fat taxes are emphasized. Previous studies show that a sharp tax hike on cigarettes in 2009 led to a significant decrease in U.S. smokers. The hope is that a fat tax could produce the same results.

***

Make junk food harder to find. Redesign the layouts of grocery stores and cafeterias. Make good-for-you-foods easier to find and make sugar-sweetened beverages and fatty packaged pastries something you have to go on a treasure hunt for. Relegate obesity-promoting foods to bottom shelves and do not give them prime real estate…

Ban unhealthy portion size advertising. I think anything with the word “monster,” “jumbo,” “enormous,” “gut-buster,” or any such verbiage that describes huge portion sizes should not appear in advertising. I do think calorie, saturated fat, and sodium levels should be proudly displayed in all food and beverage advertisements. You want to promote a big gulp? Great. Also post what the cost of gastric bypass surgery is these days. You want to promote overeating on a food show? Great. Also post a Surgeon General’s warning that this type of behavior may also cause diabetes, contribute to heart disease, lead to erectile disorder…you get the idea…

Make federal funding of healthy communities a priority. The CDC gave 17 million dollars to the 2nd fattest city in America (Nashville) to improve city bike and walk ways among other projects to get citizens to move. They have also implemented exercise programs for their police and fire departments to help them get and stay in shape. Many communities do not have adequate sidewalks, ample lighting, or parks and recreational facilities to encourage their citizens to get moving. What wasn’t discussed was the cost of park district or health club memberships. Financial barriers need to be knocked down between those who want to be physically fit and the facilities that can help make that happen.

***

Ice cream versus obesity is the key imponderable about the whole policy. I find there’s a striking contrast with the idea of a congestion-based road tax, as advanced by the Institute for Fiscal Studies this week. The case for the congestion tax is pretty unanswerable: every driver who joins rush-hour traffic is making it worse for every other driver. If we could all get together and agree to drive a bit less, we’d all be better off because when we did drive, our journeys would be quicker and less uncertain. But we can’t enforce that kind of agreement, hence the need for the tax.

It’s all the same: obesity is bad and traffic is bad. I’m not sure why you’re trying to make a distinction.

It’s not the same at all. Each driver causes a problem for others and she can’t be expected to take that into account. But an ice cream lover is causing a problem only for himself. It remains to be demonstrated that he would find an ice cream tax helpful.

***

Twinkies and Coke are only half the problem; making them expensive might deter customers, but it won’t make vegetables cheap. It also won’t make it easier for people in food deserts to access fresh food, and it won’t teach people how to make healthy meals. And what’s really horrifying is that, for people who can literally barely afford to feed their families junk food from the 99-cent store, raising prices on even bad-for-you foods would mean that they basically don’t get to eat enough. So not only would they be malnourished; they’d literally be starving.

There are plenty of other logistical issues, like how we would define “unhealthy” foods, and how difficult it would be to implement. But what’s most frustrating to me about the whole idea of a ‘fat tax’ is that it completely overlooks the fact that those foods are cheap to begin with because of food subsidies.

If you’re not familiar with food subsidies, the basic concept is that the government gives money to certain agricultural industries in order to supplement their income, thereby influencing the cost and supply of certain commodities. In the U.S., the meat and dairy industries get huge boosts from the government, as do corn farmers—which is part of why things like Twinkies, Coke, and cheeseburgers are so damn cheap.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Wow, really? Twinkies don’t have any nutritional value? That’s pretty deep and insightful. I can see why he got tenure.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Funny thing that. If they have no nutritional value, how can people get fat eating them? If people get fat eating them, that means something is getting metabolized.

/Not digging on your post, just the general statement that the food police keep harping on: all of these “non-nutritional” foods are making people fat.

AZfederalist on May 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

You are correct!!..Excellent funk band!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I think this White House has been taking a dump on us every night. And day.

4Grace on May 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM

lol, I shat the sheriff comes to mind.

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

And there is always Frank.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

And more Frank.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

You are correct!!..Excellent funk band!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Good one!

P.S. I had that exact same pantsuit. ;p

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

That whole Twinkie shelf-life thing is a myth. (I think it was on “How’d They Do That?”, or a show like that. (Lol. How’d they do Twinkies?))

I actually believed the guy–same as I believed the Alcoa guy who said there was absolutely no difference between the two sides of Aluminum foil.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

lol, I shat the sheriff comes to mind.

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

How is everyone’s favorite piglet? Did you have a good week?

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I would think the State would implant some birth control.

You ever been to Bodfish? I just found out a guy I knew in high school lives there. I looked at it on the map and it didn’t look too awful far from Pixley, but I didn’t look at the mileage, so it might be a long way.

jaime on May 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Bodfish is very close. As far as birth control, they need to use Ag. spray like they did on the Medfly. Oh, Medfly you say, yes, the same one that current GovfksBrown would not let get sprayed in his second term 78-82. Now he is back finishing us off.

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Up twinkles for Frank Z. :)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Hey, RC. Good to see you. Are you saving those lira?

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM

How is everyone’s favorite piglet? Did you have a good week?

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Good to see you, girlfriend, hope you ribs is better. My week was—-others have it much worse. I’m mostly fine.

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

RedCrow , isn’t this one of the groups you think is sweet?

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

We had the medfly sprayings when I lived in Pasadena. Kinda weird to hear low-flying choppers at 2:00 am. Always reminded me of Apocalypse Now or something. But I’ve always been a bit melodramatic.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM

And don’t forget the folks down under enjoy their cake. Cyndy would approve.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

4Grace, i find myself humming Zappa tunes when I ski. Not quite sure why.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I’m healing fine, thanks. We want you to be better than “mostly fine” so …

Bmore? Dire? Arnold needs a sweet music fix, STAT.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

And more Frank.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Let me be Frank

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Nice.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Hey, RC. Good to see you. Are you saving those lira?

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Certo, bella.

RedCrow , isn’t this one of the groups you think is sweet?

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Lol. I know you know I’m younger than you, B…but I almost never call stuff “sweet”, as in “nifty” to your generation. (Lol.)

This is the only one I really like by them.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Dire, I found another one I can’t load. Its by Paliament. Its funk, but its quite possibly bannable funk for me. ; ) I’ll pass.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM

4Grace, i find myself humming Zappa tunes when I ski. Not quite sure why.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Isn’t it funny how we prefer certain music/artists while doing certain activities? Zappa while skiing, huh? That’s a hoot.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM

And, actually, I kinda had a hankering for this one.

Also, BJ was on Top Gear (for the second time) the other week–he’s a helluva guy. Like to get hammered with him at a good ol’ fashioned pub.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

RedCrow, we said schweet, and tiiiight so tight a lot growing up. ; ) Man, now I’ll be trying to remember all the crap we had as sayings growing up. Thanks a lot there RedCrow./

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I think this will work big time!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I could dig out my best-of box and take some guesses. Lol.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Who the heII ever said nifty. I ain’t that freakin old. ; )

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Check this out. Sometimes I am on HA and other times just check out early because I’m tired. A few days ago, Dire (I think) had an awesome link to Peter Gabriel’s “My eye”. I watched it the next morning catching up on the prior night’s posts and you liked it. Paula Cole was singing backup. Anyways, I thought “How old is this clip–five-ten years”? It was from 93. Geez, where has 19 years went? My kids were eight and four. And I had more hair, brown and not grey.

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Dire, you are down with the funk tonight my brother. Woo!

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Nifty?!? We don’t say that. Even though it’s a (tiny) bit before my time, I still love the word GROOVY. It’s a nifty word. :)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Who the heII ever said nifty. I ain’t that freakin old. ; )

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM

As Cary Elwes said in “Pentagon Wars” as he sat down at the typewriter, “Paper cuts. Vicious paper cuts.”

Lol.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

It’s a nifty word. :)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

You know, Grace, that Bmore is a real hep-cat!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

arnold, its moving faster and faster every year friend. You need to make those road trips to GA. ; ) I’ll take ya done to Fat Matts, You’d feel right at home.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I think this will work big time!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

It did.
Oh, brother it so worked. It brought me out of a funk and made me think Michelle O would work so much better than Agnetha

Yeah right. :)

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I think this will work big time!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Yeah! I was about to say that you’re on a BJ roll, then I realized…better say The Brothers Johnson. Wait…

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

RedCrow, take a look at this list.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I hear you. Or if you realize that you always played the song on an 8-track. :)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Obama’s re-election campaign is coming to your town.

(PS–don’t watch the video if you are currently on an acid trip.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM

done=down, sorry arnold, not a Freudian slip. ; )

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

You know, Grace, that Bmore is a real hep-cat!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Keep it up, RC. Us “geezers” outnumber you.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Which is older, nifty, or groovy? When I was growing up, my mom would have said nifty in an earnest manner to describe something that was nifty, whereas my Dad would have said “groovy”, “hip”, “with-it”, and all sorts of other much weirder words and phrases in an ironic, tongue-in-cheek, over-the-top, and rather annoying and embarrassing manner.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I still love the word GROOVY. It’s a nifty word. :)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

But it had to be followed by the word “man,” even if you were talking to a female. LOL

Flora Duh on May 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

RedCrow, take a look at this list.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Lol. Thx, B.
Though, I’m kinda disappointed that they left out Dolemite!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM

You are in a much better place now TX, I believe? However, if you live in CA, Pasadena is quite nice. We just went to the Huntington museum.gardens and I was awestruck. The city of San Marino is nice. When we got home and I looked up demographics, I can see why everyone looked “rich” as we were going to the museum.

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Keep it up, RC. Us “geezers” outnumber you.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Lol. Well, thanks to Odumbo you won’t get that hip replacement and I’ll be able to outrun you. (At least, that is, until I get too fat from not having the government tell me what to eat.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Flora Duh on May 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Haha. So true.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

4Grace, 8 tracks on a Craig Powerplay. Bloody well right.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Or Dude.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I hear you. Or if you realize that you always played the song on an 8-track. :)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

By 1976 baby, me had a nice cassette stereo, green 76 El Camino and a nice girlfriend who turned into a sometimes nice wife.

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Keep it up, RC. Us “geezers” outnumber you.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I’ll have to see how he is on a short rope, say 30′ off @ 34. ; ) Good times!

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Yes, Texas. Pasadena was a pretty cool place overall. Yeah, San Marino was a bit “above my paygrade.”

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I think “The Beav” used to say “nifty” a lot. “Groovy” is 70′s.
(I was just bustin’ on Bmore.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

You don’t know how much I like people from the South. For whatever reason my friends in the Army were usually from that region. If it wasn’t for the South, America would be full on socialist today. Even Southern dems back in the day still loved America. OK, even Northerners used to love the country. What happened?

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 2:01 AM

4Grace, 8 tracks on a Craig Powerplay. Bloody well right.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Excellent!! Oh excuse me. I meant to say: Why what a nifty song you layed down there, Mr. Bmore! ;)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I’ll have to see how he is on a short rope, say 30′ off @ 34. ; ) Good times!

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Hey! You should really have pity on me. Though, I am a little younger than you, it is all of us who are screwed.

The pity should come when you realize that I’m more screwed than you!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM

What happened?

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Since we’re dividing up the country by those who love it and those who don’t, I’ll suggest the obvious:

It’s “New England” and the west coast vs. the rest of the country. (As for the haters and lovers, I think you know the score.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:05 AM

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Got spoiled and soft, some did, bigtime mistake.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

RedCrow, how old are you? Be honest. ; )

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

The pity should come when you realize that I’m more screwed than you!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM

On the plus side, I’ve somehow managed to fail most admirably in my relationships with women, so I have no children who would, most assuredly, suffer more than me.

(And I’ll most likely grow old alone and lonely, which is a plus.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I am a child of the 70′s. (Oh….the horror…THE HORROR!!!)

Though, this ain’t bad.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM

What a bunch of liberal BS. How about a tax simpletons and such? A tax on latte and granola. Because the make you crap your brains out. How about a tax on reading the Constitution?

pat on May 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Great to see you Mr. Ziffle..:)

PS.Are you still around??..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM

BEIJING — Blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng was at Beijing airport Saturday, according to AFP, following reports he could be headed to the US.

I heard on the radio news at 2AM EDT that he was to arrive in the U.S. sometime Saturday.

bluefox on May 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM

(And I’ll most likely grow old alone and lonely, which is a plus.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Aw, don’t say that, RC. It’s never too late for love. She’s out there somewhere. :)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I think “The Beav” used to say “nifty” a lot. “Groovy” is 70′s.
(I was just bustin’ on Bmore.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Oh ok. I guess that’s more or less what I figured. I always thought of “nifty” as more of a wholesome family kind of word, whereas “groovy” would be more likely to be used by troublesome teenagers who won’t get off your lawn.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM

RedCrow , I’m hitting 53, I got some bad news for ya sweet sunshine. We’re both standing arse deep in the same pile of sh*t. Fun ain’t it. ; )

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I am a child of the 70′s. (Oh….the horror…THE HORROR!!!)

Though, this ain’t bad.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Good group, good tune.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:19 AM

pat on May 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I like the Latte and Granola Tax idea.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM

This was popular when I was a wee lad. (Funny, though, I actually like it now. Hated it in my teen years, when I was learning “what I liked”.)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I hear you. Part of it is the fact that when we were growing up, they were playing that tune and others at least once every hour, two hours tops. Too much repetition makes anything irritating. Now, hearing it every once in a while is a nice reminder of summers gone by.

AZfederalist on May 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Thanks, Grace. I don’t use emoticons much. (And, actually, I kinda hate “Lol”, too. Lol.) My tongue was planted firmly in cheek. (I have not yet fashioned the noose, so-to-speak.)

(I was laughing as I typed it, trying to be as morose as possible.)

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Yes. Lol. I think the scientific equation is:
Wholesome = Beaver Cleaver

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM

B, I’m actually hitting the same number–in less than 2 weeks. I tried to skip this one, but apparently it doesn’t really work that way. ;)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Lol. Here’s one of my patent pending MegaQuotz!! (echo)

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Yes. I agree with you. Let me preface the next statement by saying that I am not bitter with you or others your age. You, at least, might see some of that SS money you’ve been paying into. I will certainly not. (Thanks, FDR! If he’s in Heaven when I die, will I get kicked out if I punch him in the beak?)

Good group, good tune.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:19 AM

If you ever run across “Layla (and other assorted love songs)” pick it up. Fantastic!

Now, hearing it every once in a while is a nice reminder of summers gone by.

AZfederalist on May 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Part of it is also how bad music has sucked for quite some time. Lucky, these days, if one-out-of-ten is decent.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:28 AM

4Grace, yeah they just don’t let ya skip em. Too bad, there were a few I coula stood skipping. ; )

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:28 AM

(I was laughing as I typed it, trying to be as morose as possible.)

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Yes. Lol. I think the scientific equation is:
Wholesome = Beaver Cleaver

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I have occasionally succumbed to the use of emoticons, but I try to avoid it. I feel like every time I use one, there’s a danger that someone will catch me in the act, and I’ll have to turn in my man card.

I refuse to use LOL at all. The only exception is when I have the opportunity to say

LOLOLOL

GTFO noob!!

Just typing that even now was fun.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 2:30 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Good to know. At first, I thought you were joking, but then wondered What if he wasn’t? Sorry, subtlety is not my forte at this hour.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:31 AM

PS.Are you still around??..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I’m still here, just had to do some tasks.

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 2:32 AM

RC, Layla is on the iPod. Very good song. Classic.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Just typing that even now was fun.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I use “Lol” sometimes because I have a very dry sense of humor, and it doesn’t work well in print. A lot of it (my humor) is strictly sarcasm, so you wouldn’t have a clue if you read the words–whereas you’d get it if we were talking.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I really appreciate your concern. While I wouldn’t say I’m a happy-go-lucky sort of guy, I still find something that makes me laugh–in a good way, not in a “look-at-what-the-liberals-wanna-do-now way–every day.

(Humor is the best cure for depression, and God’s best gift, IMO.)

(The studio audience goes, “Awwwwwww….”)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:37 AM

RC, Layla is on the iPod. Very good song. Classic.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Listen to this one, Grace.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:38 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Just for you.

LOL, ROFL, LOLOL, LOLZ,
;/
:P

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:39 AM

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Spin this one!!..:)

PS..Beautiful voice!!..Classic tune!!!..:):)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 2:40 AM

You won’t see him if you end up in heaven, you better hope to heII if its important enough to ya. : ). I know you aren’t bitter with me because of my age. Think about this. I own my own life, therefore I pay $14,000.00 a year into that hole they built for us all to share. I’ve been doing it for nearly 30 years. Plus the money that went in before that when I was employed since the age of 12. Of course you don’t get to start paying in until you’re legal work age wise. 16 I think it was. You add all that up. I wished to heII I could have bought shares of google or apple. I’d have something to show for the outlay. But no I won’t get it either. Here is how I rationalize it My Mom is 92. I have been paying in what she has been taking out. I’m even. I owe the Gov 0, They owe me 0. I want a small Gov footprint. They want a large Gov footprint. Something is gonna give. My earning years are slowing down. I may get out altogether soon. I’m lucky I can do that. I knew better than to trust the Gov. I made sure I was covered with out them. You might want to do the same. Free advice, worth exactly what you paid me for it. ; )

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM

(Humor is the best cure for depression, and God’s best gift, IMO.)

(The studio audience goes, “Awwwwwww….”)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:37 AM

It’s priceless. I cannot be around people that take life and/or themselves too seriously. If someone can make me laugh on a regular basis, then I’m probably going to get on well with him/her.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Listen to this one, Grace.

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Nifty +1. Beautiful song. (You do realize that I’m going to have to overuse nifty for awhile, mmmkay?)

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:48 AM

PS..Beautiful voice!!..Classic tune!!!..:):)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 2:40 AM

She does have a great voice.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:50 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Derek

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Goodnight, good Sir Bmore.

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Well, we’ve been chatting for some months now. While I don’t see you on some threads where I opine politically, I’m sure, because I can tell that you are smart, that you don’t think me a fool. (Well…maybe in some respects…but I digress.) Of course, I’m not counting on SocSec in my old age!!

I, too, got my first job at twelve (though it was a paper route). Started getting a pay-check at fourteen (restaurant bus boy/dish washer). So, I do know how you feel!

My dad and I had an argument recently about SocSec. He said something like, “It was a good idea at the time, but the politicians raided it.” I try to be a good son, so I didn’t argue much with him. But I did tell him I thought he was half right. The politicians did raid it, but it was never a good idea.

Like you (small govt. footprint), I think the more money they can get their grubby hands on, the more they’ll spend buying their next election!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Derek

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 2:51 AM

That’s hilarious. Haha

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:55 AM

4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:43 AM
4Grace on May 19, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Well, that’s a nifty outlook you have, Grace.

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 2:51 AM
Lol. Thx. :) (for Dire :))

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:56 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Yeah, I didn’t mean to disparage people who use it for legitimate purposes. Forget entitlement reform, mid-east violence, the inherent fragility of the social contract. Sarcasm over the internet is the true challenge of the 21st century.

How do you give something a truly sarcastic tone online? Do you LOL? End your post with a “/sarc” tag? Or the abbreviated “/”? Or just use no tag of any sort, but try to make the post just over-the-top enough for people to recognize it for what it is?

I prefer the last option, but it has its drawbacks. It can result in quite a bit of friendly fire.

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 2:57 AM

PS..Beautiful voice!!..Classic tune!!!..:):)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Normally, I think I’d like that one.

But, it’s too late, and I’m too sleepy. (Must resist…)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Bmore on May 19, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Enjoyed it!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Gotta wake up, peoples!!!

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:59 AM

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I understand!!..Give her tunes a spin later..I think you will like them!!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Hey, did someone stick up for me on a thread today? I heard from a friend, but they didn’t remember where it was…?

I’ll bet it’s when I was going after Pragmatic.

John the Libertarian on May 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Spin this one!!..:)

PS..Beautiful voice!!..Classic tune!!!..:):)

Dire Straits on May 19, 2012 at 2:40 AM

She is just great. Listened to one of her CD’s thurs. night.

She said “How’s things”?

arnold ziffel on May 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM

RINO in Name Only on May 19, 2012 at 2:57 AM

LOLLOL!!!11!

On the serious tip, I think we need to form a business partnership. You are aware of the Facebook IPO, yes?

All we need to do, my friend, is come up with a way (hopefully graphic and jarring) to convey dripping sarcasm over the internet.

(PS–the key is to hook the kids…or, ahem, at least that’s what I’ve heard!)

RedCrow on May 19, 2012 at 3:04 AM