Run for the hills: Yet another study informs us of the imminent end of life as we know it

posted at 10:01 am on May 17, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

The end is nigh! Or so our esteemed environmental prophets are telling us… yet again.

Humans will need two Earths to support our lifestyles by 2030 because we are draining the world’s resources so quickly, a new report has warned.

Produced by the World Wildlife Fund, the Zoological Society of London, the Global Footprint Network and the European Space Agency, the 2012 Living Planet Report measures humans’ ecological footprint on the planet.

At the moment, the picture is bleak, according to Jim Leape, Director General of WWF International, with resources being drained 50 per cent faster than they can be replenished.

He said: “We’re all familiar with the stories of what we’re doing to Planet Earth, the ways in which we’re changing the climate, depleting the world’s fisheries, destroying the world’s forests. …

“The report tells us that we’re already using the earth’s resources 50 per cent faster than it can be replenished, and that, if we don’t change our ways, by 2030 we will need two planets to support us.”

Over the decades, doomsayers have predicted that the growing pace of human activity simply isn’t sustainable. Catastrophes ranging from war, famine, and even human extinction are just a few years ’round the corner, they insist, mainly stemming from a crisis in global energy supplies. They imagine that the finite supply of oil on earth and our increasing production means that we’re sucking the planet dry with alarming rapidity.

The greens are especially freaked out these days, as economic growth in the population-dense countries of China and India means more of their citizens are becoming wealthy enough to afford cars and electricity and other modern conveniences (quelle horreur!), adding to worldwide oil demand. Yet, we’ve sailed right past these supposed apocalyptic moments every time, with little fanfare.

The date of the predicted peak has moved over the years. It was once supposed to arrive by Thanksgiving 2005. Then the “unbridgeable supply demand gap” was expected “after 2007.” Then it was to arrive in 2011. Now “there is a significant risk of a peak before 2020.” …

The first was in the 1880s, when production was concentrated in Pennsylvania and it was said that no oil would be found west of the Mississippi. Then oil was found in Texas and Oklahoma. Similar fears emerged after the two world wars. And in the 1970s, it was said that the world was going to fall off the “oil mountain.” But since 1978, world oil output has increased by 30%.

Just in the years 2007 to 2009, for every barrel of oil produced in the world, 1.6 barrels of new reserves were added. And other developments—from more efficient cars and advances in batteries, to shale gas and wind power—have provided reasons for greater confidence in our energy resiliency. Yet the fear of peak oil maintains its powerful grip.

President Obama is partial to this sort of scaremongering rhetoric, too. A couple months back, when he was trotting out the energy-theme from his campaign-distractions wheelhouse, he was fond of iterating sentences along the line of: “After all, oil is a finite resource.  We consume more than 20 percent of the world’s oil, but have less than 2 percent of the world’s oil reserves.” …What the what? Anyone who knows anything about energy knows that this statement assumes proven reserves — but new discoveries and further technological/economic innovations are making more oil available for extraction all the time. Oil resources might be finite, but our proven reserves sure aren’t. For instance, just last week, the GAO announced that the Green River Formation in a few of our Western states is sitting atop oil supplies greater than the rest of the world’s current proven reserves, combined. So much for that “2 percent” nonsense.

And, by the way, what might be this new study suggest as the solution to this ostensible emergency?

Mr Leape stresses that the starting point for reducing our impact on the planet is to end our love affair with fossil fuels – “the energy technology of the 20th century” – and switch to renewable energy.

Mm hmm. Of course, I’m sure that his proposal is a completely dispassionate, not-at- all political exhortation, riiight?

Here’s the real deal: The earth has never been a better place in which to live. Yes, I said it. Worldwide, people live longer, consume more calories, earn more money, bury fewer children, and enjoy more modern conveniences than ever before — even though the world population has more than doubled in less than half a century. And thanks to ever-improving efficiency, innovation, and new technologies, life can continue to get better, and our demand for oil may even flatten out eventually. What’s with all the gloom and doom? If catastrophe really is on it’s way, it’ll be because nobody seems to be able to lock it up and get their fiscal house in order, not because we need a second planet earth.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

My jnova comment: The notion of The Heretic [a play] points to the possible injustice of the persecution of skeptics by climate zealots. The doomsayers seem to desire to do great harm, as portrayed by the infamous head exploding school children video.
Equally disturbing is if the loons succeed in enacting extreme destructive policies. Yesterday, wuwut discussed the proposal for the UK govt to hire a million “climate workers” that would consist of “teams of construction workers which would go street by street and renovate everyone’s homes.” Nothing was said about whether the homeowners would be able to keep their homes free of these “workers,” but it was suggested the scheme was akin to hiring half a million workers to dig holes, and another half million to fill the holes. Plus there was one comment that struck me, by Wagathan:

Is this like what happened in China [?] where a core of govt workers were dispatched to eliminate the waste of feeding pets? You’d be walking down the street and a van would screech to a halt and a squad of enforcement officers would fall out of it and club your dog to death at the end of your leash.

[incredibly] this sounds like something warmists might might want to do, along with other whacky ideas they’ve had lately to do things like genetically engineer humans to be midgets to save resources. If the eco-fascists gain control, and we humans are the bad guys, the sky is the limit on what they might do.
When you think about it, in 2009 the U.S. House passed a cap & trade bill that would have mandated 83% CO2 cuts by 2050 — back to 1867 per capita use levels. … this bill would have truly taken a wrecking ball to civilization. The toll in human misery would have been grave. Would this have been much different than the misery caused by the govt clubbing of beloved pets?

anotherJoe on May 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Attack people personally? Where in the quoted portion were you directly referred to? I referred to an extremely negative and elitist attitude held by elitist douchebags. If you consider yourself an elitist douchebag, then pal, you’re the one with the problem, not me. So far, you’re the one engaging in personal attacks.

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

And you did so in reference to a comment I posted – so it absolutely was directed at me. Don’t be such a weasel. You’re continuing to act like a DNC plant just trying to stir up trouble by insulting people you don’t know. So get a grip or STFU.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Oh, okay. You’re not an elitist, but you feel elite enough to tell me what I was or wasn’t saying. Awesome.

Fact: I was referring to the attitude portrayed by the movie to which you referred. I attributed to mostly liberals and Ronulans. At no point in my statement did I indicate or imply that you were either. I was talking in general about the attitude I have routinely encountered with those types, typified by the line “most people are idiots”. The entire statement was to explain my distaste with both the movie and the attitude.

Fiction: You know me and what I meant to say.

Now, you can either keep acting like you’re omnipotent(which you aren’t) or you can admit that you were wrong and that you jumped to conclusions. My money is on the former, since you displayed the awesome mind-boggling arrogance to both claim I know nothing about you AND claim to know my words and intentions better than I do. Make up your mind, champ. Either we’re clairvoyant or we’re not. Which is it?

And please try to drop the elitist attitude when you answer. If you’re truly elite, it should be no problem.

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Quick, vote Obama out of office now!!!

Wait, that’s not what they mean??!?!

tom on May 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM

The first insult in our discourse:

I have to say you’re sounding a bit elitest yourself.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Deflection, projection, or both?

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Well mister elite know-it-all, maybe you should try reading what you type before you post it. You’re the one who came in with the high and mighty attitude after all I did was reference a frickin movie and you go off about elitist douchebags. Look in the mirror and maybe you’ll get a clue about your own major case of projection. Your “conservative” tag must be some kind of joke since you act like a elitist liberal know-it-all.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Wrong again – your post was the first insult.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM

You’re the one who came in with the high and mighty attitude after all I did was reference a frickin movie…

…which I said I disliked, and you haven’t forgiven me for doing so…

…and you go off about elitist douchebags.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Yes, not referring to you, despite the fact that you think so. Again, the fact that you assume yourself to be an elitist douchebag is your problem, not mine. Stop seeing things that aren’t there.

To sum up, since you’ve seen fit to turn a simple disagreement over a movie and attitude into a flame war…Idiocracy’s attitude, better known as “the masses are asses”, is a tiresome screed displayed primarily by people who have an extremely narcissistic attitude(and, more often than not, are either liberal or are Ron Paul supporters), and believe themselves to be some sort of elite class of citizens. The true elite of our society do not need to declare themselves. They simply are. All elitists do is talk about how stupid they think most people are. It’s the only way they can pretend they’re better.

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Wrong again – your post was the first insult.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM

So, once again…you’re claiming that you know what I was saying better than I do. Way to prove that you’re not elitist by…acting as if you know everything. *cough*

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM

MelonCollie on May 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I think you missed my point about the Hitchhiker’s Guide story line – humans on earth descended from all those useless people the other planet wanted to get rid of. Democrats/libs provide evidence for that hypothesis on a routine basis. That also connects with my theory that libs/Dems are forcing us at full speed toward the future envisioned in “Idiocracy”.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I would rebut by pointing out that on the cover of the Hitchhiker’s Guide are the words, “Don’t Panic.”

Clearly no relation to these people.

tom on May 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I don’t give sh!t whether you liked the movie.
And I don’t assume myself to be anything – but you absolutely made the direct implication. Grow a pair and admit to what you said, and keep saying – or learn how to write better without insulting people.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM

but you absolutely made the direct implication.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM

No, I didn’t. I already explained the context and meaning multiple times. You were wrong. You’re going to be wrong often if you continue to think that you can read minds. That’s called narcissism.

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Small wonder that REAL science isn’t making much progress these days.

MelonCollie on May 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM

You mean like CERN?

Dr Evil on May 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Ummmmmmmm Yo MadCon – need us to pour some ice water on that there reel? It’s starting to SMOKE a little……………ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Katfish on May 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Well I never claimed to read minds – but you seem to expect that with the way you write – and I do read the words people write. So you had a different “context and meaning” you need to learn how to write more clearly.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

You were the only one claiming that your textual dowsing rod had nicked downward on my comment about Idiocracy and those who generally adopt its attitude. You then followed up multiple times by accusing me of insulting you when I didn’t…and calling me a liar when I denied it. So…yeah, you were claiming you could read my mind. Grow a pair and admit it full-throatedly, you coward.

dentarthurdent on May 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

So you’re non-admitting you were wrong. Hey…baby steps, right? Kudos on the half an inch you’ve crawled away from full-blown narcissistic fervor, even if it makes you out to be a weasel incapable of facing the fact that your assertion about someone else’s words were dead f**king wrong.

Perhaps your next baby step should be learning sentence structure, especially if you’re going to fuse two separate sentences together, with no conjunction, to attack my writing clarity.

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Anyway, I’m finished with this pathetic pissing match. As Andrew Breitbart once said:

I will skullf**k anyone who misrepresents what I say.

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Are these folks Mayan decendents???

Colatteral Damage on May 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

dibs on Europa.

Lime in the Coconut on May 18, 2012 at 5:28 AM

Hmmm, can we leave the anal probing part of being the Alien Monsters out? Cause I’m good with the rest of it…

SWalker on May 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Do aliens have anuses?

Squiggy on May 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I don’t know, but according to all the UFO literature they do seem to enjoy probing them…

SWalker on May 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM

It would finally explain the fascination they have with them. :)

Lime in the Coconut on May 18, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Cool.

Then you pointy-headed geeks ought to get cracking on finding that other earth then, eh?

Earth first, we’ll mine the other planets later!

Woo Hoo!

;)

insidiator on May 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Madcon you ignorant slut… go piss on yourself then.

Ridiculously overrated movie. Yes, yes…some people are lazy, some people are lazily ignorant…cute, but it’s become such a common punchline with elitist douchebags(usually liberal or Ronulan) that the movie is pathetically redundant now.

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

If you were to meet someone wearing a Hawaiian shirt and immediately comment that anyone who wears a Hawaiian shirt is an elitist douchebag – do you think perhaps that person might take it as an insult? Try to grasp a little bit of logic about what you said in direct response to my post.
Get a clue about what you’re saying you elitist moron.

dentarthurdent on May 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Brought to you by the same people for whom “The Population Bomb” was required reading in college.

pgrossjr on May 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

dentarthurdent

MadisonConservative

You guys do realize that you’re making gargantuan horse’s *sses of yourselves, right?

Grow up. Please. Or take your infantile “discussion” someplace where it doesn’t bother people who are interested in a real discussion.

PS: Seems like you’re in the middle of similar “discussions” all the time, MC. You might consider finding a good counselor and spending time exploring why that is.

philwynk on May 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I don’t get it. Of course the masses are mostly idiots. So are most of the elites.

Anyone who isn’t an idiot knows that.

“Idiot” is a word commonly used to describe someone who thinks he is much smarter than he is. Elites are often the biggest idiots around. Many of the most idiotic idiots are leftist idiots/”intellectuals” who think central governments can intelligently run the minutiae in the lives of the masses. These very special idiots often have advanced degrees from respected educational institutions.

Sometimes it seems those respected institutions exist solely for the purpose of training high I.Q. people to be idiots.

fadetogray on May 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM

MadisonConservative on May 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Get a clue about what you’re saying you elitist moron.

dentarthurdent on May 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I got caught up in this silly argument, so figured I would, as an outsider to this conversation say one thing about it.
I agree with the emboldened part of your comment.
The way it was phrased, I personally would have been insulted, too.
But that’s common fare here.
And some people won’t admit they were wrong no matter what.
So unfortunately, you just wasted like an hour of your life.
Experience is the only teacher for some people.

Badger40 on May 21, 2012 at 7:46 AM