Video: When hubris meets karma

posted at 1:21 pm on May 15, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Sorry to dump two Chris Matthews posts on Hot Air readers in one day, but I suspect you’ll appreciate this more than the first.  Before we get to the video, however, we need a refresher course to properly set the context.  Noel Sheppard at Newsbusters reminds us of Matthews’ incisive wit when ripping Sarah Palin to shreds as a supposed idiot:

This from a man who on October 2, 2008, shortly before that evening’s Vice Presidential debate, said of Palin:

“Is this [vice presidential debate] about her brain power?… Do you think cute will beat brains?…Do you think she’d do better on the questions on Jeopardy! or the interview they do during a half-time?…My suspicion is that she has the same lack of intellectual curiosity that the President of the United States has right now and that is scary!”

Then on January 12, 2010:

They find these empty vessels who know nothing about the world! Nothing about foreign policy! Who immediately begin to spout the neo-con line. I read her book — it’s full of that crap….It’s unbelievable how little this woman knows!…Don’t put her on Jeopardy!

And again on November 2, 2010:

“Senator, do you think Sarah Palin is qualified to be President of the United States?…If she were on Jeopardy! right now and the topic was national government, American government generally defined, would she look like an imbecile, or would she look okay? Does she know anything?”

And finally on January 19, 2011:

“I’d like to see her on just a couple of episodes of Celebrity Jeopardy! or It’s Academic Mac McGarry to just see if she knows anything.”

Got that?  Palin wouldn’t have the candlepower to compete on Jeopardy, Matthews has insisted at least four times.

Presented without further comment, here is a fine demonstration of what happens when hubris meets karma. Be sure to read Noel’s narrative on this at Newsbusters:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

From here until November, Matthews just lost his credibility as a knowledgeable source.

cane_loader on May 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I don’t think he ever really had any. Even SNL slams his shtick.

AllahsNippleHair on May 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I left that one on the tee; I knew somebody would smack it ;-)

I am trying to find more info, but apparently, Dana Perino lost on the Final Jeopardy question. Anyone have more info?

cane_loader on May 15, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Thank you, loader. Needed the birdie. Btw, I apologize for busting your hump last night. Been a long day.

AllahsNippleHair on May 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Matthews: I’m Chris Matthews, and welcome to Softball, because I can’t play hardball.

Steve Z on May 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Chris boots up his PC and it has a permanent “ID-10-T” Error.

kirkill on May 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

chris matthews is an idiot?? wow shocking….

therightwinger on May 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Steve Z on May 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

No ball.

AllahsNippleHair on May 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Not just Sarah Palin, I remember
Chris ” trickle down my leg” Matthews said this about Michelle Bachmann :

Bachmann will appeal to the people “in the yahoo wing of the Republican party” who are “anti-intellectual.

The resident jack@$$ of MsNBC seems to be a lifetime member of the
” She man womyn haters club”

burrata on May 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Then, in the same category, another answer was, “In 1986, the Supreme Court ruled that the ‘hostile environment’ type of this can be sex discrimination.”

Matthews responded, “What is a hostile workplace?” This brainiac thinks the same word can be in both the answer AND the question.

Of course, the correct response was sexual harassment.

And then the fun really began in the category “6-Letter World Capitals” with the answer, “St. Basil’s Cathedral is there.”

Readers are once again reminded the category was “6-Letter World Capitals.”

Almost astonishingly, the pompous and holier-than-thou Matthews responded,
“What is Istanbul?”

For the love of God the stupid is strong in this one.

Just another shining example of why liberals have to tell everybody how “smart” they are all the time……
…………………because it doesn’t show.

Baxter Greene on May 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Is he suffering from dementia..?

d1carter on May 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM

No ball.

AllahsNippleHair on May 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM

…you may be right!…for Chris…that might not be plural!

KOOLAID2 on May 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

So what newspapers does Chris read?

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Heh…..

Baxter Greene on May 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

OT-

Hey, I really appreciate that. That’s stand-up of you. I’m over it, so I was going to not mention it, but people who are self-confident enough to apologize to others are good people, in my book. Sorry I called you what I called you! I was commenting more on your words than character. Plus, without angryed around, I can see how you could be bored with no humps to bust!

I know I came off as a schoolmarm re: the language, especially as you guys have fun with the late Open Thread.

Everyone has hot buttons, and that hit mine because it’s been hit a lot lately.

Yesterday evening around 6 p.m I went to Wal-Mart to get some slacks. As I got out of my car, a small, souped-up car pulled up driven by a young black guy. He was blasting the whole parking lot with, “n-word this, n-word that, f**. C*** & all.”

I looked at his front license plate, and instead of a numbered plate, he had an aftermarket “style” plate.

The phrase on it?

“It’s all about ME.” He didn’t care about anyone else.

Two weeks ago, I was sitting on the riverbank on a beautiful afternoon, hauling in bream as fast as I could re-bait the hook.

Here come a boat cruising with three tanned, tattooed, young white men and a young woman – with speakers blasting – and I mean BLASTING every single house on the river with the uncensored version of “You’re a crazy b—-” It was completely obscene and as graphic as could be. There were little kids and old people on their back porches.

I tried to get their boat number, but my old camera didn’t have the zoom to make it out. Had there not been other folks around, and had I had the right arms, I would have been sorely tempted to step a few feet into the woods and put a round through their outboard motor.

It was just so insanely inconsiderate.

So, I suppose I was thin-skinned last night, but that’s why!

cane_loader on May 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM

The best part is when Alex told Chrissy that he had to give the full name of Powers, and how peeved Chrissy was when he repeated “Gary Powers.” Heh.

Mallard T. Drake on May 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Matthews just doesn’t have the intelligence to host a program. This should finally make it obvious to everyone.

Or maybe he was just nervous because he’s not used to being on TV – that people watch.

forest on May 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

We have degradation running rampant through our society right now, and I find that those degrading themselves seem to really get off on spreading the degradation as loudly and as far as they can… hence the popularity of “boom cars.”

cane_loader on May 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM

And this dunce wants to be a US Senator?

Actually, he’d fit right in with the likes of Harry Reid, Barbara Boxer, Al Franken, and Bernie Sanders.

UltimateBob on May 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM

forest on May 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I think that Matthews truly had stage-fright, because he know’s he’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and probably had been having nightmares for a few nights beforehand of standing there naked and not knowing the answer.

At least his worst nightmare didn’t become ours!

cane_loader on May 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM

cane_loader on May 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I have come to believe that society as a whole is inconsiderate, self centered, and no amount of reporting or complaining is going to help. Then, I have to make sure the pitchforks and guns are locked up because that’s the only way you can get through to these types. Kidding, but I understand.

AllahsNippleHair on May 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Deer.
In.
The.
Headlights.

UltimateBob on May 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

forest on May 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Thread winner!

listens2glenn on May 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

So if he think Palin would do bad on Jeopardy and Chris M. is the dumbest of the dumb on Jeopardy then does that make him much, much, much not as smart as Palin?

People are just not as smart as they think they are.

albill on May 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

My prediction for karma’s next target?

Bill Maher.

It’s time he steps in it so bad that the Dems are finally forced to repudiate him.

I can just feel it – my Spidey-sense is tingling.

I don’t know how it’s going to go down, but Maher’s day is coming.

cane_loader on May 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Do they have a Pulitzer Putz Prize?

Chrissy, you win.

fogw on May 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

That there Krissy fellow sure are smart, ain’t he? What Mamma used to call “a legend in their own mind”.

GarandFan on May 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM

So many good chuckles on this thread. Thank you, people!

Lightswitch on May 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM

He so smart!

ConservativeLA on May 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Alex, I’ll take schadenfreude for $1,000.

eMatters on May 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Six-letter capital: Istanbul FTW!

BocaJuniors on May 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Imagine…

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM

It’s easy if you try.

tom on May 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM

What is comeuppance?

carson53 on May 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Chrissy is a pickle puffing fatass coward. I like to see him and Palin ( sarah of course. Todd wouldn’t be fair and chrissy would probably yank on his tool) in a cage match. I know who I put my money on.

rik on May 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Suck-It Trebek!!

Tim_CA on May 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I’ll take “The Rapists” for 200.

JFS61 on May 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Good grief. Even I got every question right immediately, without a second thought.

KyMouse on May 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Let’s have a rematch: Chris Matthews vs. Lawrence O’Donnell vs. Michelle Malkin

Or even better: Chris Matthews vs. Zell Miller

tom on May 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM

oh my.

Fuquay Steve on May 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Looks like Ed should start a Mattheurism of the Day column.

HellCat on May 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Mallard T. Drake on May 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Heh heh.
On other Jeopardy shows, Alex accepts answers that only have a correct last name. Good to see Matthews knocked down a peg or two or three, though.

22044 on May 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Chris looked a bit uncomfortable with his intro, which highlights his career as a liberal.

Funny that none of the Democrats could get the sexual harassment question.

Kind of looks like Gibbs won by answering fewer questions than the other two.

I hope they have the champion Dem and champion for the GOP square off later this week!

hawksruleva on May 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM

hawksruleva on May 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM

In the end – none of their scores were very high.

Now if they had a contest with, say, George Will, Larry Kudlow, and Bill Bennett – that would be a show with some high scoring!

22044 on May 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM

After the

What is Istanbul

Chris got that tingly feeling down his leg, from pissing himself.

Wallythedog on May 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I wonder which of the following is true:

a) liberals are too stupid to know how dumb they are, and mindlessly blather, or;

b) liberals know they are stupid and use bluster to try to cover it up?

jaime on May 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM

How can Chris Matthews be stupid?
After all, he believes in Evolution, that’s the REAL test of a person’s intelligence.

BradTank on May 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I’ll take moronic MSNBC p*ssant windbags for 1,000, Alex.

There are enough there to fill the whole category column.

OneVision on May 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I wonder which of the following is true:

b) liberals know they are stupid and use bluster to try to cover it up?

No fair! That’s a trick question. The answer is “All of the Above.” They do bluster, but still lack the comprehension to understand the depths of their ignorance.

EdmundBurke247 on May 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Its gonna be fun watching him on the evening of Nov.6

newportmike on May 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM

While I detest left-wingism and believe its adherents and promoters are firmly on the wrong side of history in their efforts to reconstitute a hapless and fog-headed European society here in the New World, I didn’t think the parts shown in the clip were that bad.

I saw far more awkwardness when a couple of rather well-known TV news types appeared on Jeopardy a year or two ago.

I suppose you can know a lot, but constantly be beaten to the buzzer in that particular quiz format, so one has to give a little leeway before pronouncing any participant as less than bright. They deserve a lot of credit for taking the risk of being a contestant in the first place.

Allendundit on May 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Well, I’m sure Chris Matthews knows a lot. Unfortunately, a lot of what he knows just isn’t true.

Zombie Ronald Reagan

starboard lookout on May 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

My prediction for karma’s next target?

Bill Maher.

I can just feel it – my Spidey-sense is tingling.

I don’t know how it’s going to go down, but Maher’s day is coming.

cane_loader on May 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I can’t imagine what could ever be that bad. Whatever that might be, I sure wouldn’t want to be around for it.

kbTexan on May 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM

What is poetic justice?

JFS61 on May 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM

“I’ll choose Balloons for $400, if you please!”
“That’s not a category.”
“My mistake! I shall choose Balloons for $600!”

ZK on May 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Further proof demonstrating liberal “Smart Power”.

chickasaw42 on May 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t try yelling over Trebek to prove how totally smart he is.

Book on May 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Almost as good as when Wolf went on.

Dunedainn on May 16, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Without the introductory run-up, the clip would have only been hilarious.

But with it, I think everyone other than Chris got this furrowing feeling . . .

Trochilus on May 16, 2012 at 6:59 AM

1.15. How exactly do you get ‘U.S. attorney’ from U.S.D.C.?

NeverLiberal on May 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Kind of looks like Gibbs won by answering fewer questions than the other two.

hawksruleva on May 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM

You’ve got to know when to hold’em; Know when to fold’em.

What was hilarious to me is that I don’t think Matthews ever went over $2,700 the entire game, did he?

Sterling Holobyte on May 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Ohh, that show’s ratings would have gone through the roof if they would have been able to put both Matthews and Palin on as contestants at the same time ^.^

– Smoov

Smoovious on May 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Nice job Tingles you idjit.

Your Mamma loves me on May 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM