Tom Coburn: Obama told me he’s willing to go a long way to reform entitlements in his second term

posted at 10:02 pm on May 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

He did once famously say, “After my election I have more flexibility.”

Second look at restoring fiscal sustainability by selling out everything your welfare-state base holds dear?

EK: It seems your view is that just as the market needs to have faith in your demographics and in the flexibility of your labor market and the competitiveness, it has to have faith in your political system’s capacity to deal with long and short-term threats. Do you see any reason for the market to have that faith right now?

TC: No. One of my biggest worries is what happens if Romney wins and Republicans control both chambers, do they have the courage to do what it takes to fix the country? It’s kind of their last chance. If they’re given the favor of control and they don’t act on it, why should you ever trust them again? You shouldn’t. It’ll be the death knell of the Republican Party. They controlled it all for four years under Bush and grew the government. They created a new entitlement with no revenue. Went against the very tenets of what they said they believe.

One of the reasons I wrote the book was to show a whole lot of people how many stupid things we do. I don’t really blame presidents too much. You gotta get appropriations. I say the problem is not that we don’t get along. We get along too well. Government is twice the size it was 10 years ago. The president can’t spend the money if we don’t appropriate it. So it’s not a president problem. It’s a congressional problem.

EK: On the other side of that hypothetical, let’s say Obama wins, but Republicans hold the House and maybe even take the Senate. How do they act in that hypothetical? Are they more or less willing to compromise with Obama?

TC: I don’t know. I’m not good at predicting that. If President Obama is president again, those problems are still there and we have to solve them. He knows that. We’ve had conversations where he’s told me he’ll go much further than anyone believes he’ll go to solve the entitlement problem if he can get the compromise. And I believe him. I believe he would.

Didn’t he tell us once before that he wanted entitlement reform done by the end of his first term? Why the hesitation, champ? You just earned yourself a giant line of credit with the left by siding with them on their favorite boutique issue. Cash in.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Um, does Coburn not remember Lucy holding the football?

Mohonri on May 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Trust worthy…

FU…BHO

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Good Grief!
Tijme for the good Dr. C to go the way of Dick Lugar!!!

katy on May 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM

The View Prostitute….

As if we need another….

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I read this headline to my husband. His response, “I believe I will be able to fly to the moon under my own power before that happens.”

TWG78 on May 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM

♫♪ What a fooool belieeeeeeves…. ♪♫

viking01 on May 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Charles Manson also said he’s now completely sane and can be released from prison.

Bishop on May 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Flexible!

Bend over Coburn……

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Since Obama only has loyalty to himself, I guess he might finally start worrying about his legacy in his second term. I hope we don’t have to test the theory.

RBMN on May 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Hey Coburn, why not just endorse King Obama while your at it?

JPeterman on May 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Well, doing so would be the one way for Obama to go down in history as anything other than one of our worst Presidents. That said, not his style.

Gingotts on May 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Well said Viking01

Mr. Joe on May 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Obama’s new evolution.

rubberneck on May 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Coburn is an idiot. He’s stabbed us in the back in the last months, he needs to GO. RINO.

wildcat72 on May 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Coburn has been worthless for years.

1. Has run touting “term limits” for 20+ years.

2. Was used gladly as Obama’s conservative pal in 2008.

3. Told conservative voters during the run up to the Obamacare vote they were racist.

tetriskid on May 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM

This is the same gayho who said on C-SPAN during the Obama-scare debates ” if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor ” right ????

burrata on May 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM

You know, that statement can be taken two very different ways.

I definitely believe that Teh One is planning to go much further than anyone believes. Not in the good way, either…

bofh on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

HA!

ooonaughtykitty on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Proof that the adage, “There’s a sucker born every minute” is correct.

Buy Danish on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Ah, yes, Coburn believes Obama because they were both members of the elite club, the US Senate, together.

Wethal on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Tom Coburn is one of Washington’s most stupid smart people.

Basilsbest on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

What an idiot. Obama could win this election bu supporting marginal entitlement reform, yet he refuses, and Coburn thinks he’ll go a long way in his second term?

GET THIS GUY OUT. He’s retiring after this term isn’t he? Otherwise he needs to go because he has to understand the rhetorical war is just as important as the substance.

Daemonocracy on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Reform entitlements? Does that mean anything that lasts? Ultimately, I’m afraid, reality is the only thing that’s going to “reform” entitlements, though utter economic stagnation.

rickv404 on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Next week’s Time magazine cover: Coburn sucking Obama’s t!t.

Mark1971 on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

It’s official, Tom Coburn is a naive FOOL! Certifiable!

I’d rather take my chances with the GOP than Obama. Furthermore, if the GOP doesn’t act, we still move forward because we will finally get a third party.

JB-STLMO on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

“Dear Mr Coburn, I am writing today to offer you an exciting new business venture opportunity as I am in possession of both some bridges I need sold and am looking to put someone in touch with a Nigerian prince and his incredible offer to reward you for helping him out.”

Bet Coburn falls for both daily.

Betenoire on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Wow. I’ve never heard a more stupid comment even from Coburn!

Warner Todd Huston on May 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Did he tell you he was going to close Gitmo? That if you liked your plan, you could keep your plan?

Have you never read Geraghty at NRO, Tom?

Wethal on May 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM

C’mon, guys. He closed Guantanamo, after all.

Wait, what?

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Can Coburn possibly be that naive? Must be that crease in Obama’s pants. You know how mesmerizing that can be.

Alabama Infidel on May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Useful idiot.

ebrawer on May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Colburn may be highly knowledgeable in some areas, Barack Obama is not one of them. The only time Barry has shown “flexibility” has been when his back was to the wall.

Yeah, Barry will be flexible on entitlement reform, just raise taxes a couple trillion so he can keep his base happy.

GarandFan on May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Coburn is going to let us ride his pet unicorn.

Philly on May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I’ve been criticized here for saying Coburn is a RINO.

This proves it.

He has GOT to go.

wildcat72 on May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

he’ll go to solve the entitlement problem if he can get the compromise

Compromise doesn’t mean what Coburn thinks it means.

Bishop on May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Next week’s Time magazine cover: Coburn sucking Obama’s t!t.

Mark1971 on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Lower…..

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Wethal on May 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Ha.

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I can’t believe how naive this guy is. President Obama has shown no inclination to reform anything, in a way that would do anyone any good. I remember Coburn was one of the first guys to come out and attack Newt and, reading this, you may be able to figure out why. If Newt were here it actually force Obama to do something, Coburn is more than willing to take his word for it.

If you wonder why the Senate hasn’t passed a budget in 3 years, it’s guys like Coburn and Lugar, who are more concerned with comity than results. Right now it’s time to fight the Senate and force them to do a budget. It should be easy, the House passes a budget (again) and sends it to the Senate (again) and then tells the Senate they will not raise the debt limit, no matter what happens, unless the Senate passes a budget and they reconcile their differences.

There is no need to worry about the debt ceiling of you have a budget. Why are they allowing the Senate to appropriate, based on their agreement, just about anything they want. Obama is spending money all over the place and the stupid Republicans have allowed themselves to become little more than pawns in the game to push our debt to the limit. Fight, for God’s sake, fight!!!!!

bflat879 on May 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

This Coburn guy is really beginning to annoy me.

Curtiss on May 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

To add: Coburn proves that eventually ANY Republican, regardless of previous record, goes RINO if they are re-elected enough in the Senate. Even DeMint will go RINO some day…

wildcat72 on May 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Coburn is retiring, right?

Punchenko on May 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Daemonocracy on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

He says he’s retiring, I don’t believe him.

JPeterman on May 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

♫♪ What a fooool belieeeeeeves…. ♪♫

viking01 on May 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM

That is SPOT on!

WhoU4 on May 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Like being entitled to mutally assured destruction by eliminating the last of our 300 weapon arsenal.

Like being entitled to have the light come on when you flip the switch.

Like being entitled to refridgeration.

Or a car that goes more than 50 miles.

Coburn. Idiot. QED.

WryTrvllr on May 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Lower…..

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

navel ?

burrata on May 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Primary this dumbazz!

ConcealedKerry on May 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM

navel ?

burrata on May 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Getting Global warmer…..

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM

If he retires we can all look forward to MSM lamenting the loss of another reasonable Republican.

Mark1971 on May 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM

So Coburn, how much did you pay for your oceanfront property in Flagstaff AZ ?

burrata on May 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM

OT: Went out for dinner. An exact clone of Debbie Watercarrier Shults sat down right next to our table. Rats nest and all. Ended up gagging on every bite.

Sorry for the optics and the OT.

obleo on May 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Fool me once….

CW on May 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Sorry for the optics and the OT.

obleo on May 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Did you order Raviolis?

And did you spew in her direction?

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM

RBMN on May 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

that is why I am a ABO ….

You know, that statement can be taken two very different ways.

bofh on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

THAT!!!

conservative tarheel on May 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Let me get this straight…

… Coburn doesn’t believe that Romney with a GOP House and Senate wouldn’t have the courage to save this Country, but Obowma and his executive orders would?

O_O

The actual facts of the past 3 1/2 years lead me to believe otherwise…

Seven Percent Solution on May 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

He says he’s retiring, I don’t believe him.

JPeterman on May 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Yeah, one common trait in RINOS is they get a mental disease that leads them into the delusion that their “service” is CRUCIAL AND INVALUABLE”. Which leads them to run as an “independent” even after losing a primary.

When in fact RINOS are the scum of the earth.

wildcat72 on May 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

He can’t be this stupid.

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM

“And I believe him. I believe he would.”

You fuc*ing idiot. You stupid, pathetic tool. Be gone, you Republican sh*t-for-brains; all of you, be gone, out of our lives forever.

rrpjr on May 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM

OT but cannot help myself–

ABC News:

A medical report compiled by the family physician of accused Trayvon Martin murderer George Zimmerman and obtained exclusively by ABC News found that Zimmerman was diagnosed with a “closed fracture” of his nose, a pair of black eyes, two lacerations to the back of his head and a minor back injury the day after he fatally shot Martin during an alleged altercation.

CW on May 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Mr. Coburn, please call my office I have a bridge in Manhattan for sale.

jukin3 on May 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Trying to steal Juan McShames position as Obamas most useful idiot and the medias favorite republican basher?
He had better quit,,,,fool!

ConcealedKerry on May 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM

He can’t be this stupid.

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Hope and Change has no boundaries…

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Obama to Coburn, 1/20/13, “I won.”

That’s what you’ll hear, Tom.

Wethal on May 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Sometimes, Senator, not “knowing” someone leaves you in a better position to evaluate their character.

Obama’s always talked “nice” and played “dirty.” IMO, he has no intention of reforming entitlements ever – everything he stands for is premised upon “his” allies having power, which doesn’t come from reducing anyone’s dependence upon government.

BD57 on May 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Record holder for most broken campaign promises makes new campaign promise. Notorious douche believes him.

Kataklysmic on May 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

He can’t be this stupid.

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM

He is. Coburn has been FIRMLY in the RINO camp for the last year (at least). He joined the “gang of” clique in producing the debt ceiling “deal” and betrayed Paul Ryan’s budget.

Coburn is as bad as Lindsey Grahmnesty and the other RINOS now.

wildcat72 on May 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

CW on May 15, 2012 at 10:18 P

And the autopsy report said Trayvon had bruised knuckles.

Wethal on May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

He better retire…

d1carter on May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE IN OKLAHOMA!!
alsomeone has to do is tell the something and they take as the gospel. Probably up next is coburn think obama is cherokee. Source??
Who else?

rik on May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Did some research and looky looky :

He is a certified idiot no doubt

burrata on May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Hope and Change has no boundaries…

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM

True – I have coworkers that believe by the time their kid is college age – it will be free.

If that doesn’t make you want to bang your head against a hard surface nothing will.

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

The good doctor Coburn has said many things in the past that made me do a double-take, but this one scares the heck out of me.

teri_b on May 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Next week’s Time magazine cover: Coburn sucking Obama’s t!t.

Mark1971 on May 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

…nooooooooooooooo!…what Rooster Coburn really might be sucking…even TIME can’t put that on their magazine cover!…can they?

KOOLAID2 on May 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM

He can’t be this stupid.

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Sure he can.

“He is a decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared about as President of the United States………..
;
………………………………………John McCain

JPeterman on May 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM

And the autopsy report said Trayvon had bruised knuckles.

Wethal on May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

The thing is……

We already knew the truth…..weeks ago….

I am sure they (MSM) are knitting a huge carpet to sweep this under.

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE IN OKLAHOMA!!
all someone has to do is tell them something and they take as the gospel. Probably up next is coburn thinks obama is cherokee. Source??
Who else?

rik on May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

FIFM

rik on May 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM

This is what is maddening!

Romney has had a VERY good week, two weeks! A CBS – New York TImes poll had the Morning Joe crew wearing black armbands today. And this fool Republican talks to EZRA KLEIN, head poobah Jornolist, and bemoans a Republican President with a Republican Congress and Senate.

Marcus on May 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM

This is a little sad, the way you guys are trashing your boy Coburn for a one-paragraph statement. This is why nobody can or should work with you – you’re insane.

I’m curious, though. Since a fundamental tenet of your faction of the reactionary right is that Obama would through anybody under the bus to protect himself, why do you think he would hesitate to — in Allah’s words — “[sell] out everything your welfare-state base holds dear,” to ensure his status as the President Who Saved Social Security While Crushing the Debt?

What you don’t understand is that he’s a pragmatist. We all know that reform is inevitable. But we’re not going to do it the Paul Ryan way — reforms designed to fundamentally subvert the social safety net. After Obama saves his butt, and a 50-50 Senate tie, but running against the “death to entitlements” fundamentalists, he’ll play Nixon goes to China and the Republicans, (slightly) chastened will cut a deal.

And we’ll all retire slightly older and a little poorer, but in relative bliss. You can visit my cottage in France. I hear real estate is going to be cheap there, soon.

urban elitist on May 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM

“Renewal” would “solve” both Medicare and Social Security. Of course, that would be the return to the initial intent of Kaiser Wilhelm and FDR – that is, a giant tax on the poor disguised as an “insurance” that most of them would never collect upon.

Steve Eggleston on May 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM

What the Hell is Coburn doing here?

Time to get back on the reservation champ. Talk about what Romney WILL do as President instead of opining about what Obama might do in a second term. What’s Oklahoman for jackass?

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE IN OKLAHOMA!!
Who else?

rik on May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

FIFM

rik on May 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM

South Carolina gave us Jim Demint and Niki Haley. AND Lindsey “McCain Mini Me” Ghramnesty. Go figure.

But then again my state gave us Jim Bunning and Rand Paul. And Mitch “RINO” McConnel.

wildcat72 on May 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM

it will be free.

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

My head hurts..

So the professors are willing to work for free?

This country is so…Flucked.

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I dont know much about Coburn, maybe hes a total RINO but… I don’t see what the fuss is about- he’s upset about the growth of government. Okay. When EK questions him about Republicans comprimising he turns it around and talks about Obama comprimising. And expressing good faith was a sly way of doing it. Nobody even thinks about Obama comprimising.

I dont know, maybe I’m tatally wrong.

bernverdnardo1 on May 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM

The Mittbots thought it was real nifty when Coburn dumped on Newt.
How does it feel now??
He’s an asshole then and he’s an asshole now and forever!!

rik on May 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM

He can’t be this stupid.

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM

It appears the longer they stay in DC the more brain cells they lose. Has the EPA ever checked the air quality in the Senate?

Fallon on May 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Tom must have gotten some fancy bigwig friends to hang around with. Nothing else would explain his “evolution.”

rdbrewer on May 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM

…even TIME can’t put that on their magazine cover!…can they?

KOOLAID2 on May 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Replace Tit with slong….

Same smile on the recipient…

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Why not start reforms today?

Valiant on May 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE IN OKLAHOMA!!

rik on May 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Be fair. The idiot is Coburn not the populace of Oklahoma.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Fallon on May 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM

LOL!

I mean if he was saying this about Bill Clinton it may have some inkling of truth. Obama? Obama? OH HELL NO!

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM

wildcat72 on May 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I live in MA so don’t even start!

rik on May 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM

urban elitist on May 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Kinda like “Mission accomplished”? Or how about “macaca”?

Buy Danish on May 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Why not start reforms today?

Valiant on May 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Because it was started 3.5 years ago…

Can’t you tell?

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

ROFL

Bishop on May 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

My head hurts..

So the professors are willing to work for free?

This country is so…Flucked.

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I did ask them where they thought the money would come from for “free” college.

I didn’t get a response – imagine that.

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Always expect righties to be fools.

Hate them more than the idiotic by nature lefties.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM

And Ted Kennedy really would have returned to rescue Mary Jo Kopechne if given a second chance.

And Custer really would have won at Little Bighorn the second time around.

And Benedict Arnold really would have been a patriot in a repeat performance.

MaiDee on May 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Coburn is the same one that claims he saw Osama’s death pictures. MmmmmHmmmm….

SouthernGent on May 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM

After creating the biggest entitlement programme in generations?

**eyeroll**

It’s a good thing that you’re goin’ back to birthin’ dem babies, Doc, ‘cuz ya dun lost it.

Resist We Much on May 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Be fair. The idiot is Coburn not the populace of Oklahoma.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Me noem mean no bad medicine

rik on May 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I did ask them where they thought the money would come from for “free” college.

I didn’t get a response – imagine that.

gophergirl on May 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM