Ramirez on Obama’s gay marriage flip-flop

posted at 2:41 pm on May 15, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, Barack Obama finished “evolving” on same-sex marriage with his statement endorsing legalization.  Entirely coincidentally, that was just in time for a big Hollywood fundraiser at George Clooney’s mansion that raised $15 million for Team Obama’s coffers after reports of anger in the entertainment industry began to percolate in the media. Two-time Pulitzer Prize winning editorial cartoonist Michael Ramirez captures the essence of Obama’s flip-flop on gay marriage for Investors Business Daily:

Just how committed to his evolutionary conversion is Obama?  His appearance on The View paints him as a man of … inaction:

During an appearance on ABC’s “The View” taped Monday, Obama said his administration views DOMA as unconstitutional, but came up shy of saying it should be repealed.

“Congress is clearly on notice that I think it’s a bad idea,” said Obama, who last week endorsed gay marriage for the first time.

The Justice Department has served notice that it will no longer enforce DOMA, which would prevent states from marrying gay and lesbian couples. But as long as the law is on the books, it could conceivably be enforced by future administrations to outlaw gay marriage.

Obama has said he think the issue is a state issue.

Actually, DOMA has nothing to do with whether states can marry gay and lesbian couples.  It only allows states to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states, providing an exception to the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution.  This is the actual text of DOMA:

Section 2. Powers reserved to the states

No State, territory, or possession of the United States, or Indian tribe, shall be required to give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other State, territory, possession, or tribe respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other State, territory, possession, or tribe, or a right or claim arising from such relationship.

Section 3. Definition of marriage

In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the word ‘marriage’ means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word ‘spouse’ refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife.

If Obama truly believes this to be unconstitutional, shouldn’t he be pushing Congress to repeal it?  He had plenty of opportunity in 2009-10, when his party held substantial majorities in both chambers of Congress.  His own oath of office requires him to defend the Constitution.  So why doesn’t he take action and demand a repeal?  Because it would amplify the damage he’s already done to himself with last week’s statement, that’s why, and he knows it.

Also, be sure to check out Ramirez’ terrific collection of his works: Everyone Has the Right to My Opinion, which covers the entire breadth of Ramirez’ career, and it gives fascinating look at political history.  Read my review here, and watch my interviews with Ramirez here and here.  And don’t forget to check out the entire Investors.com site, which has now incorporated all of the former IBD Editorials, while individual investors still exist.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bad winners are just as idiotic as bad losers.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM
So, making fun of the “bad losers” makes one a “bad winner”?

Really?

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM

No being obsessed with people who are largely on your side does. ABR can still go and vote in local, state, and Congressional elections which are as important as the Presidency.

YOU are the one who brought up Romney on a thread that was focused on Obama. No one was on here bashing Romney, so it wasn’t even in response to someone else.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Many of us can understand someone who didn’t want Romney to be the nominee, because many of us Romney was our last choice. He won..
If Romney is your last choice, is Obama your second to last choice?

THANK GOD Romney won!!!!!

By the way your logic leaves much to be desired.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I am opposed to gay marriage. But I agree with the Obama administration that DOMA is unconstitutional. A piece of legislation cannot provide an “exception” to the constitution, unless the constitution itself allows for such legislative exceptions. The full faith and credit clause clearly requires one state to give recognition to marriages performed in another state. If Congress wants to change that, it has to be through constitutional amendment.

If we’re going to be constitutional conservatives, we have to be consistent, even when it results in an outcome we don’t like.

Shump on May 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

There are two issues I have with this:

1. I believe that the administration’s position is that it is Section 3 (federal definition of marriage) that is unconstituional, not Section 2 (reciprocity between states). Personally, I, like you, think that Section 2 is likely to be more problematic.

2. That being said, your interpretation of the FFC clause is not, I think, cut-and-dried. It provides no limiting principle. Let us say that in the year 2050, California expands the definition of marriage to include animals. John Doe from San Francisco marries his dog. He then moves to Arizona, which has a progressive income tax (if it doesn’t, assume arguendo that it will in 2050). He claims married status to qualify for a lower tax bracket. Does FFC require AZ to recognize his valid California marriage and confer the tax benefits therefrom? I don’t think that FFC was meant to function this way.

sadarj on May 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Our Sleezy Preezy.

Hill60 on May 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM

The entire zer0 Administration is gay, period. The gayest administration in the history of the nation (worse than Carter’s).

MisterElephant on May 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM

You do realize that it doesn’t work that way, right? A statute can not provide an exception to the Constitution. That would be something only DEMs think, right?

tommylotto on May 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Shump on May 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

DOMA may or may not be unconstitutional, but probably not for the reason you suggest. The Full Faith and Credit Clause, U.S. Const. Art. IV, Sec. 1, states:

Full faith and credit ought to be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings, of every other state; and the legislature shall, by general laws, prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings, shall be proved, and the effect which judgments, obtained in one state, shall have in another.

DOMA purports to be a legislative regulation of the effect of full faith and credit pursuant to the highlighted language above. In other words, legislative exceptions to full faith and credit have a textual basis in the Constitution.

The sticky point becomes whether Congress’ latitude in regulating the effect of full faith and credit is unlimited. Could Congress today pass a law permitting a state to not give full faith and credit to a mixed-race marriage? Of course not. Not saying that the law supports such a comparison right now, but if DOMA is found to be violative of DP and/or EP, the right of Congress to grant exceptions to full faith and credit won’t provide cover.

wvose on May 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

No being obsessed with people who are largely on your side does.

My side wants to get Obama out. ABRtards (those that refuse to vote for Romney over Obama) are NOT on my side.

That is a separate, but admirable goal. Getting Obama out of the White House is the primary goal. ABRtards aren’t helping.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I just posted some poll results and noted that the ABRtards wouldn’t be happy with them.

Continue whining about if it will make you feel better.

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM

If it’s evolution, how is it “finished”. I thought everything is continuing to evolve. Of course we can’t see it because it takes soooooooo long.

Speaking of which, since it took the Zero about three years, sounds more like a mutation than “evolution”.

Nutstuyu on May 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Continue whining about if it will make you feel better.

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Yeah and I just posted a wish that people would get irritated at those who really deserve it: Progressive.

Continue obsessing and bragging if it will make you feel better.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

By the way your logic leaves much to be desired.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM

When did asking questions to clarify a position constitute “logic”?

If Romney is your last choice, what does that make Obama?

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

When did asking questions to clarify a position constitute “logic”?

If Romney is your last choice, what does that make Obama?

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Since I was discussing Republican nominees where does Obama fit into it? Like I said: logic get some.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Shump on May 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I think you’re right.

In this case, DOMA, the main part of the act is the federal definition as it is the basis for payments and legal standing. I hope Congress put in a severability clause in this act, as I don’t see how the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution can be trumped by a law.

Kevin K. on May 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

sadarj on May 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I don’t think that the authors of the Constitution, even in the depths of delirium caused by any of the diseases of the day, could have conceived such a possibility.

Which of the Founding Fathers said that the Constitution established a government for a moral people, and that it was not suitable for any other?

Kevin K. on May 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Psst!

Just so you know, the Republican primary is OVER!!!

Any Republican refusing to support/vote for Romney is a RINO!!

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM

This cartoon should be nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Just brilliant.

Buy Danish on May 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Psst!

This thread is about OBAMA.

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Psst!

Just so you know, the Republican primary is OVER!!!

Yeah I know that is why I posted this:

You are the one still obsessing over the primary with your ABRtards crap.

Psst!

This thread is about OBAMA.

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Again I am aware of that. I was the one who counseled that we should all be irritated at who? Progressives.

Again it is you who continues to fight your primary opponents.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

OMG this is gonna blow some heads up.

In a good way, that is.

drunyan8315 on May 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Again it is you who continues to fight your primary opponents.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Nah, I am MOCKING the ABRtards for being the stupid morons that they are.

What is the difference between them and “progressives”?

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM

The “Hollywood” is a nice touch, considering every conservative’s favorite president is Reagan.

triple on May 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Psst!

This thread is about OBAMA.

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

No worries ABRtards, Obama has this thing in the bag (as in teabag).

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Tell us more.

portlandon on May 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Just saw the cartoon.
Ramirez is awesome. Genius, if I may.

You know he’s gonna get audited for sure.

FlaMurph on May 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Barney Frank wants to know what street that is.

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I just wish I could have a President that I could
Be proud of …. It’s so embarrassing
Why does he want to punish hard working
People and reward slakards?

MrMoe on May 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Scary!! There’s always the danger that future administrations might actually enforce the law!

Except, of course, (as Ed noted) for the fact that DOMA has nothing to do with outlawing same-sex marriage, but just establishes that one state is not required to recognize a same-sex marriage performed in another state.

But, uhhh, other than that SCARY!!!

tom on May 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM

You didn’t say people voting for Obama, you said ABR(many who will just stay home).

And thus help Obama.

That being said, you are just as bad as the ABR who in a snit are voting for Obama.

That is a stupid statement. At least I am not willing to burn down the whole country just because my preferred candidate didn’t get the nomination.

If Romney is your last choice, is Obama your second to last choice?

THANK GOD Romney won!!!!!

Bad winners are just as idiotic as bad losers.

melle1228 on May 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM

So, making fun of the “bad losers” makes one a “bad winner”?

Really?

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM

How to Win Friends and Influence Voters for Dummies Mittbots chapter 2312

Charming.

tom on May 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Psst!

Just so you know, the Republican primary is OVER!!!

Any Republican refusing to support/vote for Romney is a RINO!!

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Thats right, keep shooting your comrades in the back for not towing the line. I was on the verge of switching my position and voting for Romney because Obama has been such a clusterfark lately even so mor than usual. Then I happen upon this thread here you are spouting off bitterness and hatred on people who are on your side, just because they are not your puppets and actually have a free will.

Thanks for making up my mind. I am not voting in November, if only because I tend to carry grudges a long time. At this point, I hate Barack Obama with a passion, but I hate you even more.

eva3071 on May 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Nah, I am MOCKING the ABRtards for being the stupid morons that they are.

What is the difference between them and “progressives”?

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Thanks for reminding me how damned psychotic Rombots are again. I was beginning to get soft and actually vote for Romney.

eva3071 on May 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I just wish I could have a President that I could
Be proud of …. It’s so embarrassing

Mrs. Obama on May 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM

MrMoe on May 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

FI because…. I couldn’t resist…

RalphyBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

eva3071 on May 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Whether you vote for Romney or not in November depends on whether Romney gives you a good reason to vote for him. But please be sure to vote for conservatives in Congress. We need them, regardless of who gets elected president. And with Romney trying to hard to appease moderates and independents, who, of course, typically don’t vote for conservatives, we need all the enthusiasm we can get for Congressional elections.

tom on May 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

eva3071 on May 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Because sometimes slicing one’s wrists just doesn’t cut it… ; )~

RalphyBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Because sometimes slicing one’s wrists just doesn’t cut it… ; )~

RalphyBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Prefer a bomb vest. Splashy, loud, and makes a point.

eva3071 on May 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Obama?  His appearance on The View paints him as a man of … inaction immaturity.

These are not the actions of a serious adult male.

Cleombrotus on May 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,thats why Obama went down to
Columbia,
for training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
canopfor on May 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM

The caption should have been, “Gee me my cash mohney, baby”

Cleombrotus on May 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Obama only marry’s for money.
Not interested in DOMA, only the Defense of Obama’s Money Act

chickasaw42 on May 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM

eva3071 on May 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I’m beginning to wonder if Gunlock Bill is really an Obama troll. Don’t vote based upon Bill’s comments, vote your conscience.

Gladtobehere on May 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Nah, I am MOCKING the ABRtards for being the stupid morons that they are.

What is the difference between them and “progressives”?

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Dude, take some tonic and pull the stick out of your ass.

hawkdriver on May 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM

tom on May 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

To me, Romney is like perky nipples on a nun; what’s the benefit? But he can serve one purpose…to rid us of the worst, most socialist, most incompetent president the world has ever known. Then, we can work like hell to get rid of Mittens and let the Mitt-fluffers go into drooling spasms over that. As lifelines go, Mitt is cotton thread, but show me the alternative. First things first, as I have been convinced…send Turdboy back to Chicago.

swinia sutki on May 16, 2012 at 6:26 AM

…now that Obama is finished with Ricky Martin, Ellen, and Clooney.

Marcus on May 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Now let me think, what could those three possibly have in common?
Oh, I know…

askwhatif on May 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Is Moochie an only child? Has she no living relatives?

Gladtobehere on May 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Well, Obowwow gave $15 million to her (losing) basketball coach brother, at a Washington State University.
That’s Stimulus for ya!

askwhatif on May 16, 2012 at 8:18 AM

In other Obowwow news, I hear they are re-writing history (on his website), comparing him to all past pressy-dents, since Coolidge.
Who would have thought it?
Oh, about 48% of us.

askwhatif on May 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM

When the president can pick and choose which laws on the books to enforce or ignore, and can issue orders to countervene laws he doesn’t like, we have slipped into dictatorial anarchy.

The rule of law in America is in a state of collapse. On this path, the collapse of the nation will surely follow.

cane_loader on May 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM

At this point, I hate Barack Obama with a passion, but I hate you even more.

eva3071 on May 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Typical ABRtard.

Gunlock Bill on May 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Thanks for reminding me how damned psychotic Rombots are again.

eva3071 on May 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Thanks for reminding me how damned psychotic ABRtards are again.

Gunlock Bill on May 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

tom on May 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

What these so called “conservative” ABRtards don’t get is that it doesn’t matter how many conservatives are put in congress, if Obama remains President.

Congress repeals Obamacare, Obama vetoes it.

An vacancy on the SC occurs, Obama fills it with a young liberal and the court turns liberal for a generation or more.

If the ABRtards want to go with the scorched earth approach, then don’t expect me to kiss their arse or get all cuddly.

Gunlock Bill on May 16, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Gunlock Bill on May 16, 2012 at 10:43 AM

We would prefer that you Mittler Youth would spontaneously combust, thereby leaving the world a little better.

Do you have a Reformed Egyptian Hieroglyphic decoder ring? I didn’t get one in muh craka jax.

tom daschle concerned on May 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM

tom daschle concerned on May 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM

LOL!!!

So, it really is Romney’s religion that bothers you.

Gunlock Bill on May 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

So, it really is Romney’s religion that bothers you.

Gunlock Bill on May 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

It bothers me but I’m not going “Jack@ss Chick psycho” about it.

MelonCollie on May 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM