Open thread: The Nebraska GOP Senate primary

posted at 8:29 pm on May 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

Wish we’d spent more time covering this given how interesting the race has become over the past week or so but here’s an eleventh-hour open thread for those who’ve been following it at other righty sites like Red State. Three candidates: Jon Bruning, the state AG and establishment favorite; Don Stenberg, the state treasurer and initial grassroots favorite; and Deb Fischer, a state senator who’s come on strong lately thanks to Bruning and Stenberg tearing each apart, a timely endorsement from Sarah Palin, and a bit of anti-Bruning Super PAC intervention on her behalf from TD Ameritrade founder Joe Ricketts. He’s not the only outsider chipping in for the anti-Bruning effort either:

Although he didn’t raise as much money as Bruning, Stenberg was able to remain competitive in the money race with the help of third-party groups. The anti-tax group Club for Growth and DeMint’s political committee, the Senate Conservatives Fund, spent more than $2.1 million in the race on Stenberg’s behalf.

However, the $722,000 spent by Club for Growth may have helped Fischer as well. The group spent their money on television advertisements that criticized Bruning on spending and tax issues, without mentioning their support for Stenberg.

It is clear that the money spent by Club for Growth took its toll on Bruning. Several voters, including Tim Michaelsen of Columbus, said they originally supported Bruning but now have their doubts based on the group’s television ads.

According to two new polls, it’s now a two-person race between Bruning and Fischer with Stenberg a distant third but still holding on to 16-18 percent of the vote. One of the mysteries tonight is whether the conservatives who are sticking by him will write him off as a sure loser and back Fischer in hopes of defeating Bruning or whether they’re willing to risk a Bruning victory by going down with the ship. The polls close at 9 p.m. ET but given the tightness of the race, don’t expect results for a few hours. The winner stands a very good chance of bumping off Bob Kerrey for Ben Nelson’s soon-to-be-vacant seat so, yes, this election does matter.

Here’s the Secretary of State’s election results page so that you can follow along. While we wait, via Breitbart.com, enjoy this endorsement of Palin’s hopey-changey critique of Obama from … Noam Chomsky?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

Palin 2, Establishment 0. Not bad for a has-been, irrelevant, snowbilly, teaser, only-in-it-for-the-money quitter. So when Cruz cruises to victory in Texas and the score goes to 3 to 0 what will you haters say then? Mr. Hatch has to be quaking in his boots that Sarah the Kingmaker doesn’t glance over to Utah and decide his time is up. And if she does and goes 4 for 4 what will be the spin be then PDS sufferers?

Tarnsman on May 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I guess it’s on to Texas and Utah. Oh, and watch Missouri, right?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I guess it’s on to Texas and Utah. Oh, and watch Missouri, right?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM

VA could be interesting…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:53 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM

AP is a busy man. Whenever he doesn’t update, I think he probably had a hot date.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM

VA could be interesting…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I haven’t been following VA. Care to catch me up?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Maybe. At least bump it up, though. He could probably get a lot more traffic.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM

VA could be interesting…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Yeah it could. I don’t know as much as I should about that senate race.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Oh well the field was a poor man’s choice so can’t blame her for not really liking any of them to a degree that she would but her name to them. I like that she is concnetrating on down ticket races atm. That’s my gameplan too worry about the down ticket races and forget about the POTUS the liberals already won that one.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I agree. Here in Ohio we are trying to support Josh Mandel our great State Treasurer that’s running for Senate against Sherrod Brown. I’d like to see our Gov. Kasich come out endorsing Mandel and Romney too for that matter!!

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Oogling pics of MeggieMac eating donuts while playing laser tag with his cats doesn’t, in my mind, equal a “hot date”…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:57 AM

As of now a large chuck of them are not going too. the more they harp on
Palin, the tea party, conservatives the more unlikely they will be to vote.

It appears the Mitt supports got lessons on how to influence people and make friends from Sheen

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Romney sent me a big envelope with his picture in it. He was wearing jeans and it was taken outside near a barn. I guess he is trying to sublimely channel REAGAN in that picture.

I dutifully sent back the fund raising letter and used a large, thick sharpie marker across of it and said that until Romney apologized for trashing conservatives in the primary and GROVELED to Palin for allowing his stooges to trash her continually for 4 years, that his campaign would not see one red cent from me this season.

And to make it even better, it had a postage paid envelope. :)

So you Romney supporters, don’t get too complacent here. Romney still has to earn our votes.

karenhasfreedom on May 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Oh, and if Palin endorsements don’t matter, then why in the heck did Gov. Orr go to Palin and ask her to endorse Fischer? Why, when Palin endorsed them, did Fischer and Cruz plaster her face all over their websites? Why did Cruz’s campaign go all out talking about how their phones were ringing off the hook and how cash was pouring in once Palin endorsed them?

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM

LOL, so true. I bet there are many Dems and Republicans wishing they would have not attacked her as Gov. She would still be in Alaska, ROFL The moral of the story is be careful what you wish for!!

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM

People across America are picking people in the primaries that wouldn’t have been picked 4-8 years ago. I don’t know what this means for Romney or Obama, but I’m sure they have to be looking at these races and running through the data.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:48 AM

That seems to be the case, right? All I know is that Palin endorsed Fischer and all of a sudden she wins the primary by 10,000 votes when she was nowhere a week ago. How does that happen? I think Sarah had a lot to do with it. I received a robocall about four days ago from the Fischer campaign that had a taped endorsement from Todd Palin. That inspired me to dig deeper and I decided that Deb Fischer was someone I could easily support. I think a lot of other primary voters thought the same thing because we like and trust Sarah…not that we’ll just do whatever she says, but that we’ll hear what she says and then investigate on our own and decide that she’s right.

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Or Mitt and the RNC can offer her a prime time speaking gig at the convention in a display of unity.

Daemonocracy on May 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Heh We’ll see…..

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I wouldn’t sit around waiting for Kasich to stick his neck out for Mandel. I know Kasich isn’t that bad (he’s a net plus), but few governors are going to alienate the establishment just to get a better conservative to Nov.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Point is, bluefox, if you want Mandel to pull this off, you’re going to have to get the Ohio grassroots out there. That’s what’s been happening in all these TP upsets.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I was talking to a native Nebraskan that didn’t even know Fischer. Now, personally, I had favored Stenberg, but I’m happy to see this upset. This is very, very healthy.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:04 AM

bluefox:Great to hear from you as well,and thanks.With Sarah’s
endorsement and involvement,this election is starting to
be a tad fun,even tho,this election will be for the Heart/
n’Soul of America!!:)

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Yes, I think it’s great how her endorsements are working out. Glad to see her working her “magic”:-) It’s a serious election as you say. Pray and Vote is what is needed.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:05 AM

karenhasfreedom on May 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM

The way I see it, Romney has to make peace with the Palin crowd and a good portion of the Ron Paul crowd.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Palin Effect: Fischer Wins Nebraska Primary
Just two weeks ago, the battle for the GOP nomination for the U.S. Senate seat in Nebraska was between state Attorney General Jim Bruning and state Treasurer Don Stenburg. Neither inspired the growing base of conservative voters. They were, to be charitable, standard conservative-ish career politicians. Mama Grizzly Sarah Palin shook up the race with a late endorsement of state Senator Debby Fischer. It made all the difference.
I follow politics very closely, yet I hadn’t heard of the Fischer candidacy until Palin’s endorsement. National tea party groups like FreedomWorks had put all their resources behind Stenburg, with nary a thought about Fischer. A good reminder that these groups aren’t as plugged into the grassroots as they like to claim.

A wind of change is blowing through the nation. Fischer’s nomination tells us that voters are rejecting the tired ‘politics as usual’ messaging of most candidates. Be fearless. Have courage. Stand for something.

Sarah Palin gets it. Here’s hoping the national GOP gets it too.

Oh they get it but they are afraid mor eof the TEA party and conservatives then they are the dems. The dems will allow the spending to continue an dtheir friends to be paid. Conservatives shut off the spigot.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:57 AM

LOL! Harsh, very harsh.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM

The funny thing is that the establishment doesn’t like Gov. Palin because she is going to point out wrong doing on both sides, which is exactly what I find most appealing. I’m sick of finally finding out what the heck is going on when the indictment is handed down.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM

But what of party loyalty, eh?

Just joshing you. That’s why I find her appealing, too. Just so long as she distances herself from McCain and Hatch…

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:14 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM

and the Newt crowd and the Cain crowd and the Santurom crowd. but they are more likley to back Mitt imo because Newt and Santurom are more of the establishment types. mitt needs to really worry about that low turnout. says many people didn’t care enough to vote . Even in Neb looks like about 10,000 people that voted didn’t care enough about Mitt to even mark his name. This should be sending alarm bells off across the country. I’m reminded of the Kerry people in 2004 who thought Kerry was going to win because bush was a “national nightmare” they banked their entire victory on the asumption that the rest of the country thought like they did and Bush won. bush won becaus ehe got his base to the polls. Obama is pumping up his base we might not like gay marriage or race wars or a war on the rich but Obama’s base does and those are the people Obama is getting motivated to get out and vote. Mitt supporters seem to be putting all their hopes on the fact that “everyone” hates Obama. I see that but hope for change isn’t always a winning campaign theme.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:15 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I actually like both gentleman but wish they would retire quietly. In the big picture Sen. Hatch has a pretty solid record but I sure didn’t like his reaction when he got a bit of competition. Nothing says entitled like going after your constituents. All he would have to do was point out errors in his record and promise to do better and they will reelect him, but no, he’s going to call them names. Brilliant.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:18 AM

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I don’t think Mitt has what it takes to morale-speaking defeat the base of Obama. So, yeah, that means he has to get out the Republican base – which has been moving more indy.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:19 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:04 AM

You and me both. I supported Stenberg but had reservations about his numerous runs for office. I’d voted several times in the past for him but he always lost. Then Sarah and Todd threw their support behind Fischer and that made me take a second look. I liked what I saw. And there it is!

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:18 AM

As much as I dislike Hatch, I think McCain is far worse. Not just ideologically speaking. I think he’s losing his marbles. There’s no good reason he should have the position he has in the Senate. Scary, really.

OK, goodnight for now. Great news from Nebraska!

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:20 AM

And to make it even better, it had a postage paid envelope. :)

karenhasfreedom on May 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM

this is the first election in almost 25 years I have not sent money, made phone calls nor talked to my friends and neighbors to GOTV. Hell i even forgot it was primary day until about 2:00pm of the election day.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:20 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Per Nomad, “a mass of conflicting impulses”…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:36 AM

LOL, that describes the conflict perfectly!!

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Truer words were never spoken. The sentence “I’m sick of finally finding out what the heck is going on when the indictment is handed down.” should be hammered into a block of granite on a mountaintop.

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 2:23 AM

I guess it’s on to Texas and Utah. Oh, and watch Missouri, right?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I’m not positive, but I thot I read that Sarah endorsed Steelman?
I read so much more than I post, so can’t be sure without checking.
Maybe someone else does.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM

growing up in western PA and eastern Oh the voters there are more of the Reagan dem type then the rockfeller rep mitt types. Kasich seems like he wants to play it both ways and i have to say he is balancing it pretty well. but he is hosed eitherway. If he backs the anti-establishment guy then people like mitt will get even. If he backs the establishment guy the tea party that got him elected will turn on him. In that sitution the politican will usally sit it out and not say anything.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:27 AM

karenhasfreedom on May 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I’ll have to disagree. The Primary is almost over for all practical purposes. Obama has given Romney our vote. It’s a no brainer.

ABO, all day and everyday.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:29 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Agree, Sen. McCain is worse. I hear “maverick” or “gang of ____” and I get nauseous.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:32 AM

LINCOLN, Neb. — Republicans have long salivated over the prospect of capturing Nebraska’s open Senate seat, a triumph that would increase their odds of winning a majority in the Senate and taking full control of Congress.

But the party’s effort to defeat Bob Kerrey, the native son and former senator who returned here from New York to bolster Democrats’ hopes, is taking a back seat to a fiercely competitive Republican primary fight that features a familiar tug-of-war between establishment and insurgent candidates that has become a growing theme in Republican contests across the country.

For months, the state’s attorney general, Jon Bruning, has been seen as the leading contender in the primary, enjoying a fund-raising advantage and the backing of top Republicans here and in Washington. But as the primary approaches on Tuesday, the outcome is far from certain and the contest has become another potential wild card in the battle for control of the Senate, with outside groups feverishly trying to influence the race.

Deb Fischer, 61, a rancher and state senator who is seeking statewide office for the first time, appears to be gaining ground on Mr. Bruning, 43. Her momentum has not gone unnoticed at the National Republican Senatorial Committee, where aides have quietly started to argue that she would be a strong challenger to Mr. Kerrey in a presidential election year in which Republican turnout is likely to be strong in this deeply conservative state.

A clear sign of uncertainty in the Bruning campaign came late last week when it aimed a negative ad at his two opponents, including Ms. Fischer, who is gaining considerable attention in the closing days of the race because of a salty television ad — featuring two Angus bulls named after her rivals — and an endorsement from Sarah Palin.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 2:23 AM

“When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny.” – Thomas Jefferson

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:34 AM

ABO, all day and everyday.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Yep. And if not, we’ll be stuck with him and his czars for the next four years. His Federal judge appointees and any additional Supreme Ct. appointees for the next generation or 3…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 2:37 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I don’t know. Gov. Kasich has never appeared to be as your typical Establishment. I remember him when he worked on the budget with the 1994 sweep. He knows better than some how Sen. Voinovich(retired) and Sen. Sherrod Brown voted in lock step with the Dems.
I would think it would be his advantage to defeat Brown, since he is pro Obama etc.

Mandel really doesn’t need Kasich’s endorsement, he just needs more name id in the State (and money:-)

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Hell Freezes over; Lib Journalist “I Was Surprised To Discover Palin Was Intelligent, Nice & Beautiful”

Kudos to Laura Goodman a self professed liberal writing a honest, from the heart, and unbiased article in a journal that has been notable for its vociferous attacks on Sarah Palin.

Goodman met Palin, who she describes as her new BFF, at the recent SALT conference where Palin was a keynote speaker. As has been the case in every instance I have seen where people, from left and right, who have met Palin she, Goodman, uses most of the terms that such encounters engender.

Goodman; “I was surprised to find her intelligent, nice, knows the names of newspapers that she reads” and
“she was not a primadonna in any way, had no problem having her photograph taken with me (twice) and is even more beautiful in person”.

The most telling part of the article is Goodman saying “Whilst I do not agree with her positions it is pretty clear that she has been unfairly maligned by the press”

That is an honest statement in every respect and it shows that liberals need not be cast in one basket as unreasonable. it is just sad that it has to take a chance encounter with the real Palin not dispel the terrible malignity that the leftist media has partaken in in their disgusting caricaturization of this woman.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I’m not positive, but I thot I read that Sarah endorsed Steelman?
I read so much more than I post, so can’t be sure without checking.
Maybe someone else does.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Sarah Steelman? I remember seeing her on Glenn Beck when he was still on HLN and I was impressed. She was the Missouri state treasurer or some such office and she really shined during that interview. It would be great to see her destroy McCaskill. Of course, she has to win the primary first.

I simply am not making enough money to support candidates in other states (let alone my own!).

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Jefferson was correct mostly. but when the type of government is a centralized demon like we have now. the quote changes. Because if the government fears the people and they have the power to beat the people down they will use it. It takes a small governemnt to fear the people and have liberty. the larger more powerful the governemnt the more tyranny we will have as the government becomes more afraid of the people.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Since I won’t be here in the morning, I’ll get this out of the way now. Hi, Bradky!!!

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:48 AM

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:47 AM

True, right now they are just practicing the tyranny of “giving” “free” stuff. I have to hope we can find enough honest people to see that it’s a lie and push back. I’m not always optimistic. Good night, nice seeing you back. You have been missed.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Good to see you, unseen. Hope you come back and visit more often. Can only speak for myself, but I do miss your posts.

kim roy on May 16, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Lol. Went into the bedroom and saw Deb Fischer on the television at her campaign headquarters. They were filming her and she wasn’t talking because she was on the cell phone. I’m hoping she was talking to Sarah or some real conservatives and not Karl Rove and the RINO troops!

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Sarah Palin gets it. Here’s hoping the national GOP gets it too.

fischer-wins-nebraska-primary

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Sarah has no trouble making her point:-) Oh, you are right that the GOP fear the TP, Conservatives and Palin. This is why getting good Candidates elected is so difficult. We have opposition from all sides!!

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 3:03 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I have a sneaking suspicion that Mandel may have a lot of Rove connections. He seems to be another Rubio type of guy. I’d be careful.

promachus on May 16, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Delinda Morgan won the primary in OR-1

Ronald Green won the primary in OR-3

Fred Thompson won the primary in OR-5

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 3:19 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Yes, that’s the one. I didn’t find where Palin endorsed her, just there was some talk about it from some of Palin’s supporters. The Tea Party Express was meeting with Steelman the first week of this May and doing some local TP events. I have some info on Steelman and those she’s running against, but on another PC. Will find it tomorrow if I don’t have to do yard work:-)

Oh, I know money is tight. I can’t send all I want and just pray a lot.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 2:58 AM

She better not be talking to Rove or Rinos or we’ll take back our votes!! I don’t live there, but I’ll call Sarah Palin!! LOL

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Would not be surprised to see Palin endorse Steelman. I could also see her endorsing Radtke in Virginia. Maybe Liljenquist in Utah, thought I wouldn’t put money on that one.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 3:35 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:48 AM

It’s the only encouraging thing after 3 years of Obama and a pathetic GOP race. Anti-lifer candidates and a shift towards conservatism is more than welcome.

Congrats to Fischer. I hope she gets the seat and does noble service. And I hope she’s still not there 30 years from now.

Dongemaharu on May 16, 2012 at 3:41 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 2:40 AM

promachus on May 16, 2012 at 3:12 AM

I don’t get that from him nor haven’t heard anything like that. Will do some checking. I do know that he has a great background, 2 terms in Iraq, a lot of Conservative endorsements (org. not people). He carried 80 of the 88 Counties when elected Treasurer.
Thanks.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 3:57 AM

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Regarding the MO race, I think the voters are concerned about getting rid of McCaskill and trying to pick the Candidate that can do that. I’m sure Palin will do her usual research so we’ll see.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Steelman should be a good choice. As I understand it from Dan Riehl at Big Gov, John Brunner was trying to get Palin’s endorsement a few weeks ago, but he has a history of bad mouthing Palin. Haven’t heard much about Todd Akin.

I’ve been saving up a about $4 grand for donations since ’08, but have no one to send it to now that Romney is the nominee. I might think about putting it to use down ticket. I really hate McCaskill.

Buckshot Bill on May 16, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Buckshot Bill on May 16, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Palin didn’t run. Her endorsements mean something-but she decided not to run. She’s not going to be the nominee. Palin is to a degree ALWAYS about Palin. She needs to drop some of her massive ego and TRY to make sure that this campaign/chatter isn’t about her-and stays on Mitt and beating Obama. She and her supporters seem to think that she’s the center of the conservative universe. She’s not.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 6:01 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 6:01 AM

And Romney believes that the government has the right to force people to purchase goods and services against their will. His beliefs and actions as Governor are the antithesis of conservatism. He is not a conservative and never was or will be. He’s a big government statist, and will say or do anything to achieve power.

He is the worst sort of politician and the very people that have spent years criticizing the electorate, democrats, college students, and the Media for not properly vetting Obama, are now turning a blind eye to Romney’s failings and ignoring his record.

He isn’t someone I would ever want to place in the Whitehouse, so I don’t care if he wins or loses or flip-flops so much he gets a cramp. I’m not going to vote for him, and I’m not going to give him any of my money. If I must, I’ll save my donations till the next election, and if the GOP don’t nominate an actual conservative then, I’ll wait another 4 years and so on.

I’m finished voting for Republicans just because they aren’t technically democrats. If there isn’t a genuine reason to vote for someone, I won’t vote at all. The GOP is a dead party.

Buckshot Bill on May 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Wow, it is sooo good to wake up to see Deb Fischer won.

WannabeAnglican on May 16, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Sounds like Frum’a character in ‘Patriots, complaining about ‘Esther Minden.

narciso on May 16, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Palin 2010 US Senate endorsements:

Kelly Ayotte, New Hampshire, who replaced Judd Gregg who retired.
Pat Toomey, Pennsylvania, who replaced incumbent Arlen Specter.
Marco Rubio, Florida, who replaced Mel Martinez retired.
Rand Paul, Kentucky, who replaced incumbent Jim Bunning.
John Boozman, Arkansas, who replaced incumbent Blanche Lambert

Of those endorsements her support of Ayotte might have had the most impact.

Palin 2012 US Senate endorsements:

Richard Mourdock, Indiana, who beat incumbent Richard Lugar in primary

Deb Fischer, Nebraska, who came from behind to beat two candidates with a number of powerful endorsements and institutional support. Fischer spent the least amount of money in the primary.

Coming up – Ted Cruz, Texas, in a fight for the seat of Kay Bailey Hutchison retiring.

It is worth noting four of these races were against incumbents who are notoriously hard to unseat. She doesn’t generally pick easy races. Is Governor Sarah Palin playing a long game?

Viator on May 16, 2012 at 7:06 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 2:04 AM

But the Tea Party is losing influence and Sarah Palin is becoming irrelevant. NPR said so, didn’y they?!

WhatNot on May 16, 2012 at 7:06 AM

I think this deserves a new thread.

swinia sutki on May 16, 2012 at 7:14 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 6:01 AM

Is Palin going there to keep people from voting for Romney? Or, more likely, is she going there to get conservatives a little enthusiastic about a squish candidate and to help steer the conversation at the convention a little more right than it might otherwise go? If so, how is this a bad thing???

And really, is someone who has wanted to be president for years any less self centered than Palin. What, Mitt Romney is more noble than her? He’s trying to be the center of all politics on America for cryin’ out loud. Maybe Palin should stop doing political events…and just about everything else in order to appear less narcissistic. Good grief.

Dongemaharu on May 16, 2012 at 7:32 AM

chomsky railing on obama, that’s fun. the true communist\socialist ideologue knows that obama is just another part of the establishment.
1) it will make O lose some of those far left votes
2) it ridicules the insane rethoric of “obama is a socialist\comunist\end of world” of recent years.

nathor on May 16, 2012 at 7:44 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 6:01 AM

Thus spake the absolute authority on what Conservatism is and on what Palin thinks. Be careful with all that anger. I hear hatred leads to crowsfeet.

swinia sutki on May 16, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Nobody cares about the Tea Party endorsements. Or for that matter, Palin endorsements, outside of her most fanatical followers. Most people don’t really care for endorsements.

…Actually I’m going to screencap this, it’ll be worth a few laughs in the next 6 years.

joana on May 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM

And frankly, Palin is unimportant in most of those races. I mean, she endorsed Fischer when she was gaining momentum and on her way up. Palin does this frequently.

joana on May 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM

joana and other asorted GOPe groupies remind me of an old joke:

An elderly Jewish man had married a much, much younger woman. But no matter how hard he tried, the man just couldn’t satisfy the young woman in bed. The older man was tormented by this and finally went ot talk to his rabbi about the problem.

“Well,” said the rabbi, “Here’s what you do. Go into town and get the most handsome young man you can find. When you and your wife are in bed making love,m have this young man stand over the both of you waving a twoel. This will give your wife utmost satisfaction, I can tell you.”

So the elderly man did just that. But no uise. His young wife still wasn’t satisifed, and he went back to the rabbi to report the frustrating news.

“Well then,” said the rabbi, “try this. You switch places with the young man: he’ll make love to your wife and YOU stand over them and wave the towel. That is sure to work.”

The elderly man thought it was rather odd, but he did just that anyway. The younger man completely wore out the young wife with better sex than she could ever have imagined, and she was at last satisfied, to say the least.

Later the elderly man went up to the young man and whispered, “Ha! Now THAT’S how you wave a towel!”

ddrintn on May 16, 2012 at 7:50 AM

GOP Establishment, Dems and MSM…..be afraid, be very afraid of the POWER OF PALIN!

RWRFAN on May 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 6:01 AM

I totally agree.

I like Palin just fine, but I hope she stays out of the spotlight as much as possible from now until November. As much as some of her hardcore fans love her, there are three times that many who think she’s a joke. We don’t need Palin up on a stage anywhere with Mitt. We should be looking forward to the win this November, not looking back to the 2008 defeat and the unhelpful hoopla that surrounded Palin.

I’m concerned that Palin might pull one of her little “wink, wink” innuendos in the coming months, saying something to the effect of, “well, I won’t close the door on running in 2016.” Palin has shown that she is as much about self-promotion and attention-grabbing antics as she is about furthering the conservative cause. Remember Paris Palin’s… I mean, Sarah Palin’s ridiculous, mysterious bus tease tour last year, when she just happened to roll into the same town (and at the same time) that Mitt Romney was kicking off his own campaign for president? That little attention-seeking stunt of Palin’s was a rotten thing to do, particularly when you consider she apparently already knew at that time that she wasn’t planning to run for president. Also, let’s not forget how she (who didn’t even run herself) wanted the bruising 2012 Republican primary season to continue as long as possible, all the while reminding voters that she would be available should things come to a brokered convention scenario.

I think it’s kind of interesting that so many people base their decisions on what this woman says, but we should also remember that her endorsement of Newt Gingrich (and her excuses for his anti-capitalism and Occupy Wall Street-style rhetoric) didn’t do a whole lot. I don’t know a lot about the people she has endorsed recently, but I sure hope these aren’t more unvetted, problematic candidates who will have trouble in a general election. I would much rather win with a Republican who votes how I like 85% of the time than only a 50/50 chance at a winning Republican who would vote how I like 100% of the time while in office. Anyway, if Palin merely helps draw attention to conservative (and hopefully electable) candidates who otherwise might not get much coverage, then perhaps her endorsements can also be a very good thing.

Anyway, hopefully in the next few months Paris Palin, who might be sad that she’s not still the center of attention, doesn’t try starting drama again to remind us all that she’s still around. Democrats take full of advantage of some of her utterly stupid and embarrassing interviews to fundraise for their guy. We also don’t need Palin at the convention this year. No Palin speeches, please. Palin had her turn, she did what she could, and we’re grateful to her. It’s time to move on (hopefully with a properly vetted and capable VP candidate this time) and not dwell on the past. Palin can play a helpful role in conservative politics, but maybe for the next few months the most helpful thing she can do is lay low.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Buckshot Bill on May 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Buckshot Bill, you and your fellow Obama-supporting, Romney-bashing, fake conservative bosom buddies ddrintn and AngryEd always spout the same pro-Obama 2012 campaign talking points over and over.

While you and your Obama-supporting bosom buddies continue to campaign for Obama, real conservatives, those who know Obama must be defeated, will be doing the hard work to see that Obama is removed from office.

Buckshot Bill and ddrintn, you both are a disgrace to real Sarah Palin fans, and Sarah Palin herself would no doubt be the first to call you guys out on your disgraceful Obama-supporting behavior and your non-stop campaigning against our presumptive Republican nominee.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM

You sure wasted a lot of time and space to write the same drivel you’ve been shoveling for months.

NoNails on May 16, 2012 at 8:09 AM

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM

You’re so full of it, I’ll bet your eyes are brown.

Just because Conservatives have concerns about Romney and his less than stellar track record, does not mean they are a bunch of Obama-lovin’ Democrats. Why, I’ll bet that’s exactly what you are. You were probably sent over here from Daily Kos to sow seeds of disruption at the finest Conservative site on the internet.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Skippy…or is it, csdeven?

kingsjester on May 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 3:03 AM

It has never been easier to sell a conservative message. I can’t recall times when so many establishment type politicians have been discarded. Last 2 years…. When was the last time you saw Maverick fight for his Senate seat? Think about that for a minute. The conservative takeover of the GOP is happening right before our eyes.

antisocial on May 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM

shame on you for daring to utter Sarah’s name. the only “feminist” thingy you ever did was to put clorox in your boyfriends underwear wash cycle.

go back to sniffing mitts butt. on the roof of his car. while getting a haircut.

renalin on May 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM

ddrintn on May 16, 2012 at 7:50 AM

That is amazingly brilliant but your fine wit will flow over many of these dunderheads.

promachus on May 16, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Or, more likely, is she going there to get conservatives a little enthusiastic [...] steer the conversation at the convention a little more right than it might otherwise go? If so, how is this a bad thing???

Dongemaharu on May 16, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Conservatives are ALREADY enthusiastic about defeating Obama by electing Mitt Romney. Polls consistently show this. The canard that Romney might have trouble securing the Republican base turned out to be a bunch of bunk. We don’t need to start putting someone like Palin (who is disliked by most people who AREN’T highly partisan conservatives… including by people whose votes we need to defeat Obama) center stage. You Palin superfans can sometimes be a bit selfish, wanting the campaign to indulge your every whim and every need for short-lived, emotional gratification, regardless of whether it would hurt our chances of defeating Obama in the long run. You can still love Palin, while at the same time recognizing that her role in this fall campaign shouldn’t be a prominent one. Heck, I bet many in Obama’s voter base secretly (or not-so-secretly) agree with the rantings of Jeremiah Wright, but they will also acknowledge that it’s best to keep Wright under wraps… while Republicans would love almost nothing more than for Jeremiah Wright to start up again with his anti-American rants. In the same way, Democrats would love to be able to run against Sarah Palin again.

And I say this as someone who enthusiastically supported Palin in 2008.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Come convention time she needs to help support the ticket…not do something that smacks of stroking her own ego.
*I call ‘em as I see ‘em.*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Pretty confident she will support Romney. As usual, she has been consistent throughout the primary that the most important thing is to unseat Obama.

And, despite statements to the contrary, she did not officially endorse anyone in the GOP primary (nor did she endorse Angle before the Nevada voters did- but that’s another issue…)

The question is- will Romney show Palin (and, more importantly, the conservative constituency that she is one of the most influential speakers for) the respect needed to shore up the GOP base?

Or will he see the need to “reach out to the middle,” tack toward “independents” for the general, and poke his finger in the eye of conservatives (a la “maverick” McCain) while expecting them to vote for him?

That’s the value of Palin’s strategy- something like “If you want me to speak at the convention, call me. If stumping & fundraising by me will help the GOP defeat Obama in Nov., I’m up for it.

However, if you think the path to victory is selling out the ‘Reagan wing’ and running a dem-lite RINO campaign, I already have some space reserved near the RNC convention. I bet I could get a few reporters to come by, and may be able to get more front-page attention for my message than your ‘official’ GOP statements.

Choose wisely…”

cs89 on May 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Yeah. The torrent of insulting, abusive behavior toward Conservatives (the largest political ideology in America) exhibited by “Mitt Supporters” on this very site surely added to the excitement.///

And I say this as someone who enthusiastically supported Palin in
2008.
bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Uh huh. And I’m a 22 year old blonde Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader named Buffy.

kingsjester on May 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM

“…the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they’re ignorant; it’s just that they know so much that isn’t so.”

Well, President Reagan was correct on half of that statement.

#War

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM

*I call ‘em as I see ‘em.*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I totally agree.

And I actually like Palin (i.e., what she stands for, not so much her continued lack of preparedness and her self-promoting stunts). But I write somewhat negatively about her here because, as much as I like Palin, I like the idea of beating Obama a WHOLE lot more. I think Palin could be more trouble than she is worth.

It seems selfish to me that people are more worried about getting their feelings hurt (regarding the silly notion that Palin would somehow be slighted should she not be given a huge platform at the convention) than they are about the need to defeat Obama. Besides, after what the self-serving Palin has done this year, why should Romney feel the need give her valuable minutes at the convention… at a time when he’s making his OWN case against Obama and for his candidacy. People don’t need to hear a 10-minute speech from Palin to know that Obama needs to go, especially when a Palin speech would be all the media would want to talk about (and likely mock). We need Obama’s record to be the focus of attention, NOT SARAH PALIN.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:30 AM

We need Obama’s record to be the focus of attention, NOT SARAH PALIN.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Well, then. You had better bring something stronger than, “He’s a nice guy. he’s just in over his head”.

kingsjester on May 16, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Yeah. The torrent of insulting, abusive deserved behavior toward Conservatives Obama-supporting, phony conservatives who spend their free time campaigning against our presumptive Republican nominee(the largest political ideology in America loudest and most embarrassing handful of HotAir commenters) exhibited by “Mitt Supporters” Mitt Supporters and all other real conservatives who know that Obama must be defeated by electing Mitt Romney on this very site surely added to the excitement.///

kingsjester on May 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM

FIFY.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:37 AM

FIFY.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I didn’t ask you to. The truth never needs fixing. Your propaganda always does.

kingsjester on May 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 8:21 AM

NE Registered Voters: 1,136,402

NE Votes Cast: 293,719

NE GOP Senatorial Primary: 192,321

NE GOP Presidential Primary: 182,744

Ok gilled one, ‘splain.

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM

GOP is the real party of American women

“In 2010, Republicans won the women’s vote for the first time since Ronald Reagan. We fired the first woman speaker of the House, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, because we didn’t like the direction Democrats were taking our country — on the economy, on health care and especially on the debt. We still don’t like it today.

When Republicans talk about freedom, entrepreneurship, patient-centered health care and fiscal responsibility, most women respond positively. And when Republicans propose policies grounded in those principles — reducing taxes on small businesses, shrinking the deficit through the Ryan plan, and repealing “Obamacare” — women see that it’s the Republican Party that’s advancing their values, not the Democrats.”

Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.), *
Rep. Sandy Adams (R-Fla.), *
Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), *
Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.),
Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle (R-N.Y.), *
Rep. Mary Bono Mack (R-Calif.),
Rep. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.),
Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.), *
Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.), *
Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kan.),
Rep. Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.),
Rep. Candice Miller (R-Mich.),
Rep. Sue Myrick (R-N.C.)
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.)

*In 2010 Palin endorsed and helped elect six out of the fourteen Congresswomen above.

Viator on May 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Ok gilled one, ‘splain.

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I’m not sure why you want to create an argument where there is none. Can’t we just both be for Romney, and leave it at that? I understand that at one point during the primary you supported someone else, but now understand why we must elect Romney. Ok, I respect that and can move on. I can take a guess at whatever oblique suggestion you’re trying to make, and then respond to it, but I don’t see the point in that. I know you aren’t in the same category as the Obama supporters ddrintn and Buckshot Bill, and I have no desire to feud with you. Romney has all-but-officially won the nomination because he received, by far, the most votes. Thankfully, Republican voters picked the candidate who can actually beat Obama. This was pretty clear before the NE vote. When a presidential primary vote becomes something of a technicality (since only one serious candidate besides Romney seems to still be campaigning… Ron Paul), it serves to reason there won’t be as much interest in that race.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM

And Palin renting out a space at a mall near the convention threatens this how? Is Romney’s support that thin? The MSM will malign anything she says there, thus changing the delicate minds of pampered moderates? It’ll take away attention from getting Obama out of office…by her saying we should get Obama out of office? Look, if Romney’s not a strong enough candidate to handle Palin at a freakin’ shopping mall, than maybe you ought to rethink the fait accompli you think this election is.

By the way, I love the “And I actually like Palin” and “I like Palin just fine, but…” as weak attempts to inoculate yourself from any observations that you are indeed a full blown PDSer, demonstrated by these verbose rants filled with name calling(Paris Palin), back handed compliments, and flat out lies. So really no need to bother. Doesn’t fool anyone. You’re as biased and …level-headed as any Palin “superfan.”

Dongemaharu on May 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

And Palin renting out a space at a mall near the convention threatens this how?

Dongemaharu on May 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

She is doing WHAT?! I have not been as up on this story as much as some of you. I didn’t know she was planning to do that during the convention. What a freak show that woman is. Now that makes me even more upset that this woman is trying to steal the spotlight for herself when it should be on ROMNEY during that week. The focus should be on Obama’s record, not on what attention-seeking, party-dividing antics Palin wants to pull for her own benefit.

Look, if Romney’s not a strong enough candidate to handle Palin at a freakin’ shopping mall, [...]

Dongemaharu on May 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Look, Romney’s the one who had the guts and ability to ACTUALLY RUN and put himself out there, day in and day out, campaigning, answering the questions from voters and the media, etc. I’d rather not get into an argument about Romney VS. Palin, but let’s suffice it to say that Palin, while a fine and patriotic woman who is right on a lot of issues, isn’t even remotely fit to shine the shoes of a man of Romney’s experience and capability.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Is Romney’s support that thin?

Dongemaharu on May 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Actually, the polls show that 91% of Republicans support Romney, while only 85% of Democrats support Obama.

Romney is winning some Democrats, lots of Independents, and nearly all Republicans… and that is A LOT more important and useful than trying to get Romney to go out of his way to indulge the desire of some Sarah Palin worshipers for some emotional gratification via watching Palin give yet another speech…. especially when Palin in the spotlight=good news for Obama.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I have no desire to feud with you.

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM

That’s funny. Until it became clear that Romney had the nomination in the bag, you had a desire not just to “feud” with me, but ridicule, mock, criticize and DICTATE to me. And not just me, anyone on these boards who dared to practice their constitutional right to voice support for their candidate of choice – if that candidate was not Romney.

Sorry, but until you admit you took the wrong approach in trying to garner support for your candidate AND apologize for the actions you used, I’ll not be smoking from your peace pipe.

#War

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I wish she would throw her support to Miller for gov in Montana. He’s the Tea Party guy and needs some help to beat the establishment guy in the primary next month.

Kissmygrits on May 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Delusion. Palin’s record as a public servant beats Romney’s. It’s not even a close contest.

steebo77 on May 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Here is something for some of y’all to consider. While you sit in here and gripe about how irrelevant the lovely and talented one is. She is out there doing some actual grassroots work. She isn’t using a lot of fancy words to get it done either. One word I know she is saying this morning is.

Next!

Bmore on May 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Oh yeah and what’s up with the stench of rotting fish on this thread this late morning?

Bmore on May 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Palin 2, Establishment 0.
Tarnsman on May 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM

she is like al sharpton or some or identity politics centric marxist.

No reason for her to endorse a moderate tax raiser in nebraska other than gender.

all you “conservatives” who genuflect to her and **** and moan about the black voting for obama because of skin color should be beatn by new black panther members when you go to vote.

Notorious GOP on May 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Flora, now I get why you used the photo of you on a boat. I love it!

Bmore on May 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Notorious GOP on May 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

You sound a bit wee weed up…LOL

idesign on May 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Tarnsman on May 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Love the moniker Tarnsman (Ta-Sardar-Gor). However I entreat you to back off on the “hater” and “PDS” stuff. This is exactly the same juvenile verbiage that conversatives rightly object to in progressives. One can disagree and be critical without being a hater or deranged. Put that vitriol in storage and save it for when it’s really needed.

Fafhrd on May 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM

bluegill on May 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

That’s no way to talk about a woman you “like just fine.”

I don’t know why you bother pretending you like Palin at all. Your loathing comes through loud and clear.

BTW, the totality of Romney’s experience politically speaking is one term as governor, and it was not exactly a shiny success story.

Unless you count all those other elections he lost.

The big question right now is, “Is Obama bad enough that Romney might actually win this election?”

tom on May 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I guess it’s on to Texas and Utah. Oh, and watch Missouri, right?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM

You betcha you should watch Missouri. Steelman’s been sliming Brunner to the Palin faithful all week but he’s coming back in a big way. Brunner for MO senate!

alwaysfiredup on May 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM