Open thread: The Nebraska GOP Senate primary

posted at 8:29 pm on May 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

Wish we’d spent more time covering this given how interesting the race has become over the past week or so but here’s an eleventh-hour open thread for those who’ve been following it at other righty sites like Red State. Three candidates: Jon Bruning, the state AG and establishment favorite; Don Stenberg, the state treasurer and initial grassroots favorite; and Deb Fischer, a state senator who’s come on strong lately thanks to Bruning and Stenberg tearing each apart, a timely endorsement from Sarah Palin, and a bit of anti-Bruning Super PAC intervention on her behalf from TD Ameritrade founder Joe Ricketts. He’s not the only outsider chipping in for the anti-Bruning effort either:

Although he didn’t raise as much money as Bruning, Stenberg was able to remain competitive in the money race with the help of third-party groups. The anti-tax group Club for Growth and DeMint’s political committee, the Senate Conservatives Fund, spent more than $2.1 million in the race on Stenberg’s behalf.

However, the $722,000 spent by Club for Growth may have helped Fischer as well. The group spent their money on television advertisements that criticized Bruning on spending and tax issues, without mentioning their support for Stenberg.

It is clear that the money spent by Club for Growth took its toll on Bruning. Several voters, including Tim Michaelsen of Columbus, said they originally supported Bruning but now have their doubts based on the group’s television ads.

According to two new polls, it’s now a two-person race between Bruning and Fischer with Stenberg a distant third but still holding on to 16-18 percent of the vote. One of the mysteries tonight is whether the conservatives who are sticking by him will write him off as a sure loser and back Fischer in hopes of defeating Bruning or whether they’re willing to risk a Bruning victory by going down with the ship. The polls close at 9 p.m. ET but given the tightness of the race, don’t expect results for a few hours. The winner stands a very good chance of bumping off Bob Kerrey for Ben Nelson’s soon-to-be-vacant seat so, yes, this election does matter.

Here’s the Secretary of State’s election results page so that you can follow along. While we wait, via Breitbart.com, enjoy this endorsement of Palin’s hopey-changey critique of Obama from … Noam Chomsky?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

Palin-Endorsed Deb Fischer Wins in Nebraska; Updated: Gov. Palin Congratulates Fischer
Tuesday, 15 May 2012 20:59
***************************

Governor Palin endorsed Deb Fischer, and everything changed. Immediately, the Fischer campaign received a boost. The Governor recorded a robocall for her, Todd Palin recorded another robocall, and now the results are in. Deb Fischer has been declared the winner in the Nebraska U.S. Senate Primary.

Congratulations to Deb Fischer, and a huge thank-you to Governor Palin, who is 2 for 2 in endorsements. Last Tuesday, Palin-endorsed Richard Mourdock defeated long-time Senator Richard Lugar, much to the chagrin of the GOP Establishment.

Bring on the sudden and relentless reform!

Update: Governor Palin sent this tweet after the race was called:
=================================================================

Sarah Palin‏@SarahPalinUSA
Congratulations to @DebFischer2012 and the people of Nebraska! #NESen
11:34PM 15 May
***************

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

But we all know the only reason Fischer won was because of Palin endorsement, right?

joana on May 16, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I’ve not seen anyone say that. But would it kill you to admit that Palin’s endorsement added a kick to Fischer’s campaign that wasn’t there before?

Of course that would mean you’d have to show a little humility and admit that you’re not always the brilliant political strategist that you appear to fancy yourself to be.

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Spliff Menendez on May 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Lol. The guy Demint supported acme in a distant third.

promachus on May 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

AmeriCuda on May 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Wow, that’s quite a Conservative record. No wonder Sarah Palin endorsed her. So that makes me wonder why the local TP & TP Express didn’t?

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I think too many people are over-estimating Palin’s endorsement and under-estimating Jim Demint’s support.

Spliff Menendez on May 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Uhhhh……DeMint endorsed Stenberg.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Spliff Menendez on May 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

thought demint’s guy lost tonight

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Which is the main reason Mitt’s team is not reaching out to Palin. they know her pull and are afraid that Mitt will be upstaged by Palin like McCain was. So instead they try to rewrite the 2008 elections and bad mouth her.

sad really

unseen on May 15, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Probably one of the reasons Palin has reserved the mall just down the block from the convention….this is going to be fun.

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM

joana on May 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM

We’re here, be clear, get used to it..:)

idesign on May 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I like that!! We’ve been here most likely since McCain chose her for VP; I know I have.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM

So that makes me wonder why the local TP & TP Express didn’t?

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Most local TP’s were backing Stenberg at the beginning because he is more conservative. But I assume most switched to Fischer as they figured she was more conservative than Bruning and had a better chance of beating him than Stenberg. As for the TPE, they endorsed before Fischer had even entered the race.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Sarah won another one and the Sarah supporters are happy. The other ones, not so much. Did anyone else endorse any of the candidates? Real heavyweights, aren’t they?

Mirimichi on May 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM

What does she look like in Omaha?

TXUS on May 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Fischer will carry Douglas and Sarpy counties (Omaha metro) this fall, I predict.

Any of the three main GOP candidates could win this November. Kerry is very liberal. He screwed us royally during the Clinton administration with his votes.

NebCon on May 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM

So that makes me wonder why the local TP & TP Express didn’t?

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

A lot of the local TP groups lean more towards the Paul types. It would be hard to tell without living there. As far as TP express they have their own reasons. they make some good picks and some not so good ones. I trust that group less then most too many of the leaders have old ties to the gop establishment in there for me.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Hopefully, that’s not how she really feels. I don’t want to over-credit Palin’s endorsement, because Nebraskans usually don’t give a rat’s rear end what outsiders think of anything but the football team, but Palin’s endorsement did help. The timing of it was especially good. I think that’s when people started to say outloud, “Hey, she really could win this.”

NebCon on May 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Honestly, I think Palin’s endorsement was useful in making conservatives in the Omaha/Lincoln bloc take another look. It’s tough for politicians from western Nebraska (which is basically everything outside the Lincoln/Omaha corridor) to gain much traction.

HuskerNate on May 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

What it did was bring Fischer to the attention of the rest of the country. I really didn’t know anything about her until Palin poked her nose into the race…..and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one.

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Game. Set. Match! ;-)

TXUS on May 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM

idesign stole that quote from Palin….she used it in the Madison Wisconsin speech…..it’s quite appropriate.

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Is this true? Oh, this is going to be a riot.

Mirimichi on May 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I got it wrong…

It’s “we’re here, we’re clear, get used to it.”

idesign on May 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Deb Fischer pulls off upset victory in Neb. Senate primary
- 05/15/12 11:17 PM ET
***********************

State Sen. Deb Fischer (R) pulled off an upset victory Tuesday in Nebraska’s GOP Senate primary, dealing a blow to both the Republican establishment and the Tea Party.

Fischer, a rural rancher who has never held statewide office, had long been written off in the race to replace retiring Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.). But Fischer turned the table on her two GOP opponents in the final week of the campaign despite being out-fundraised many times over.
(More……..)
=============

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Really? first I heard of that. Haven’t been following things in politics much lately. Yeah that will be good. If Mitt was a secure man he would ask her to speak at the convention. But he isn’t and he won’t

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM

how many votes did Bush win FL and OH by again in 2000?

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM

By larger margins than voted for Palin in Iowa.

alchemist19 on May 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I would guess that’s also what caused the sudden influx of cash to Fischer’s campaign.

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Spencer Zimmerman 1,572

1,742 of 1,785 precincts reporting
==================================

Read more: http://journalstar.com/elections/results/#ixzz1v0IJeTAa

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM

same here. wasn’t follow the NEB primary. first I heard of the lady was when Palin endorsed her. Palin has the ability to make any and every race national. Same thing happened in IN with the murdock victory. and I hear Cruz got a bounce form her endorsement in TX.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM

NebCon on May 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Not only do I think you’re correct in your analysis, I also think she’s a lock for the rest of the state. Everyone here is very aware that Bobby hasn’t lived here in ages and that his last job was being the head liberal in charge of a very liberal New York school of higher learning.

Where are you, by the way? I live in West Omaha.

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM

NebCon on May 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Thanks for the intel, she’ll be getting a max contribution from me and a lot more to the lead outside PAC supporting her. We’ve got to turn this seat red. Critical.

TXUS on May 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Is this true? Oh, this is going to be a riot.

Mirimichi on May 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Yes, she certainly did….

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Incumbents Jeff Fortenberry, Lee Terry, and Adrian Smith have all won their primaries.

Idaho incumbents Raul Labrador and Mike Simpson have won their primaries.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Can’t wait. The threads here are going to be crazy.

Mirimichi on May 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Idaho incumbents Raul Labrador and Mike Simpson have won their primaries.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Yeah, about that…Lee Terry is a pos. He voted for TARP and promised to leave Congress after a few terms and that was in the 1990s. He’s still there. I’ve been voting against him for years.

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM

bluefox on May 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Because they’re more conservative than Fischer. Especially Stenberg, who is the typical Tea Party insurgent candidate.

Fischer has a fairly moderate voting record for a Nebraska republican.

joana on May 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM

This comment on Fischer’s record is quite conservative:

AmeriCuda on May 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Joana is a Mittwitt.

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I was at the hospital visiting my Mom who went to the ER for reasons I’ll omit as it’s a family matter and I was unable to visit my polling place but I’m glad Fischer won. She seems like the real deal and Palin was smart (as she genuinely is despite effort to show her otherwise) to endorse her. Come hell or high water I’ll be at my polling place in November.

Yakko77 on May 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM

By larger margins than voted for Palin in Iowa.

alchemist19 on May 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Palin wasn’t running, wasn’t on the ballot and didn’t campaign nor place ads. I have no idea how many people voted for Palin in IA or how many want to but didn’t because she said she wasn’t running. since it wasn’t a primary but a cacus and they report things differently we don’t know what the first vote was nor the second just the final. Oh yeah and Mitt didn’t win IA eiother a nonamed Senator who lost his state by double digits won IA. Bush won FL in 2000 by around 1000 votes. The Mittwits and team are activi;ly engaged in attacking and bad mouthing a large % of the gop base. 35% of gop primary voters in NC did not vote for Mitt last week with him the only person left in the race. take out Paul who sisn’t campaign and was pretty much unoffically out and still 25% of of the gop primary voters did not vote for Mitt. those were voters that turned out to vote for the anti-gay marriage amendment. The conservative voters. Diss them how u will but Mitt will not carry the northeast and he needs those 35% of gop voters that didn’t vote for him come NOv to beat the black and hispanic vote in NC and he needs NC to win the WH. As of now a large chuck of them are not going too. the more they harp on
Palin, the tea party, conservatives the more unlikely they will be to vote.

It appears the Mitt supports got lessons on how to influence people and make friends from Sheen

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM

From the NE Secretary of State’s results

98.49% precincts reporting

GOP Presidential Primary – 182,541 votes

GOP Senate Primary – 192,008 votes

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Don’t confuse what plays well in Nebraska for what will play well in Florida, Ohio, or Nevada. The last time a Democratic presidential candidate carried Nebraska was 1964.

amerpundit

Not true. Nebraska can split it’s three electoral votes and Obama won one in 2008

MAC1000 on May 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM

These Palin fanatics are completely crazy. I’ve never seen these degrees of paranoia. It’s like they live in a fictional world. They may be worse than Paulites, to be honest.

joana on May 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Frankly, I think the most pathetic are the obsessed Palin-haters, many of whom are women … jealous of Palin’s accomplishments, popularity, looks, etc.

By the way, the Fischer campaign relied heavily of Palin robo-calling and even ran a Palin TV commercial.

bw222 on May 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM

unseen on May 15, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Nice to see you!! We won’t forget Michelle Bachmann and if it weren’t for Sarah she would have lost her MN race.

I’ve noticed that Candidates are requesting support and endorsements from Sarah.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Those who would be swayed by Sarah Palin are already voting for Romney.

There are very few “undecided” voters at this point for the Presidential spot in the ticket.

crosspatch on May 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Hate to break this too you but a very big group of those people will be sitting home come NOV instead of voting for liberal Mitt.

I disagree with this. People who would be swayed by Sarah Palin are going to be frantic to help defeat Obama. They’ll all vote with enthusiasm for Mitt Romaney. He may not be our dream candidate but he can put an end to our nightmare president.

MAC1000 on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I agree that Palin’s endorsements help-alot. I DISAGREE about her reserving that mall near the convention. She needs to focus on boosting the nominee-Mitt-and-ousting Zero.
Come convention time she needs to help support the ticket…not do something that smacks of stroking her own ego.
*I call ‘em as I see ‘em.*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

canopfor on May 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Thanks for posting that!! Nice to see you back too:-)

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Flora Duh on May 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM

This effect is often overlooked. Too many people say endorsements don’t sway voters. Maybe. Maybe not. But they can bring in serious cash from around the country.

Dongemaharu on May 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I sent $40 to Stenberg. Oh well. Holder-loving Bruning goes down in flames. And Nelson rides off into the sunset. Haw-Haw.

jubalearly on May 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:43 AM

It’s good to see Palin’s vocie in the conversation. She sat out a large part of this election cycle. Only sinc ethe POTUS primary has been sowned up has she come out more strongly . while I respect that she didn’t try to upstage those running for POTUS I hoped she would have been more involved. she didn’t endorse any of the candidates and gave a half haerted nod to Newt but never an offical endorsement.

Oh well the field was a poor man’s choice so can’t blame her for not really liking any of them to a degree that she would but her name to them. I like that she is concnetrating on down ticket races atm. That’s my gameplan too worry about the down ticket races and forget about the POTUS the liberals already won that one.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM

It seems it’s more difficult to get the more conservative one elected in house races. The only upset I remember so far this cycle was Wenstrup beating Schmidt in OH-2. I don’t know if it’s due to conservatives and tea partiers concentrating more on senate races or what.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:49 AM

MAC1000 on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

some will. Some like me don’t see much difference between the two and really have no passion to vote for either of them come Nov. I personally know more of the second group than the first personally here in NC.

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Oh, and if Palin endorsements don’t matter, then why in the heck did Gov. Orr go to Palin and ask her to endorse Fischer? Why, when Palin endorsed them, did Fischer and Cruz plaster her face all over their websites? Why did Cruz’s campaign go all out talking about how their phones were ringing off the hook and how cash was pouring in once Palin endorsed them?

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Mitt is harping on conservatives and the tea party? Where? When? What did he say?

alchemist19 on May 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM

MAC1000 on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Some will, some won’t. I’m one of those that won’t.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM

*I call ‘em as I see ‘em.*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Or Mitt and the RNC can offer her a prime time speaking gig at the convention in a display of unity.

Daemonocracy on May 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM

MAC1000 on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

People who are swayed by Palin have learned that Obama and Romney are not that much different.

promachus on May 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM

you and your logic, stop connecting the dots!

Daemonocracy on May 16, 2012 at 12:55 AM

John McCain lost because of a “clean articulate black guy” and an over abundance of white guilt. The financial “collapse” just sealed the deal. McCain treated it as if it were important, Obama treated it like it was an interruption of his coolness.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Daemonocracy on May 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Keynote in this convention and next in line status for 2016. Otherwise no dice.

promachus on May 16, 2012 at 12:59 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

She’s not going to promote Gov. Romney until he asks her and he’s not going to ask her. Let’s see if she is asked to speak at the convention.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

canopfor on May 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM
————————————

Thanks for posting that!! Nice to see you back too:-)

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM

bluefox:Great to hear from you as well,and thanks.With Sarah’s
endorsement and involvement,this election is starting to
be a tad fun,even tho,this election will be for the Heart/
n’Soul of America!!:)

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 12:58 AM

If you are running to win, you don’t have people like Steve Schmidt and Mark and Nicolle Wallace running your campaign.

bw222 on May 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Lol. I’ve been bombarded with Fischer/Palin ads on Hotair for the last week. Palin played a big part in Fischer’s win (and so did Fortenberry the Congresscritter for western Nebraska).

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Based on many of the posts here, I gather that Fischer isn’t a perfect, unblemished conservative. Some have even called her the M-word, Moderate. But, I don’t sense she’s a Snowe either, by any means. That said, if we’re going to have a chance to change the destructive course we are on, we must win the Senate. Period.

I think Romney is going to win in a landslide, not because of him but because of the anti-Obama factor. Fine. And, we’ll keep the House, if not improve the numbers there. But if the Dems keep the Senate and Reid as Majority Leader, who sets the voting agenda for that chamber, we will have but a Pyrrhic victory.

It’s the bottom of the 9th, with 2 outs, and we’re down 3, but with bases loaded. Are you going to bunt or swing for the fences?

TXUS on May 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM

NebCon on May 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Thanks. Well I think if she thanked or credited anyone in particular she should have included Sarah. She and others also should remember that Sarah has a lot of followers and they also send money to Candidates that Sarah endorses. Just like Ted Cruz is receiving funds thru Sarah’s link for him.

Perhaps she will post a special Thank you to Sarah on her web site.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Fischer came out of nowhere to beat Bruning after Palin endorsed. And I mean NOWHERE. It was somewhere near a twenty point bump in less than a week. What happened? Palin (Fortenberry helped).

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Cindy Munford:Exactly Cindy,I think this time around,Americans
have opened their eyes,to Hopey the Scammer!:)

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM

BoxHead1 on May 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM

The one I like is the “Candidate X was surging anyway” meme. Quite popular these days. Get ready for more of it if Palin backs more winners.

“She waited too long” is a good one too.

Dongemaharu on May 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I’ve noticed that already. Also I’ve heard that it is women that really are full of envy and jealousy towards Sarah. I’ve seen that also:-)

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Perhaps she will post a special Thank you to Sarah on her web site.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Don’t worry about it. She played up Fortenberry because he’s the Congresscritter in the western part of the state. If Deb is smart she’s already on the phone talking to Sarah in order to get a Palin stump tour of Nebraska. And if Sarah meant what she said, she’ll do it.

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM

bw222 on May 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

He knows that now…….! I don’t know much about the interworkings of his campaign but I remember at one point he got rid of practically everyone because he wasn’t doing well. Did he stick with them because they stuck with him? He seems like a loyal guy, for the most part.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Correct, and I think Palin’s plan is to help elect conservatives to Congress and governorships. She likes to do her own thing and the way the GOP establishment has failed to support her, she owes them nothing. Even if Romney is elected, we need as many conservatives as possible just in case he starts flip-flopping.

bw222 on May 16, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Congratulations to Deb Fischer.
********************************

by Sarah Palin on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 9:35pm ·

As recently as a week ago, Deb Fischer was dismissed by the establishment. Why? Because she is not part of the good old boys’ permanent political class. The message from the people of Nebraska is simple and powerful: America is looking for real change in Washington, and commonsense conservatives like Deb Fischer represent that change. I applaud Moms like Deb Fischer who are bold enough to step up and run on a conservative platform to restore America and protect our children’s future. Congratulations to the people of Nebraska.

As the Huskers’ fight song goes: “The eyes of the land, upon every hand, are looking at you. Fight on for victory!”

- Sarah Palin

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:09 AM

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I sure hope so. If he gets elected again we get what we deserve but that sure is hard on those of us who know what he is.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Say it ain’t so…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Thanks. It always helps to have some background info in order to understand things better:-)

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:11 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Indeed.

listens2glenn on May 16, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Didn’t Schmidt and Wallace join the McCain camp after Mitt withdrew?…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM

bw222 on May 16, 2012 at 1:09 AM

People need to wake up. The GOP stabbed Pres. Reagan in the back every chance they got and they gag when he is held up as the standard bearer of the party. We need to make the changes and stop accepting the flip side of the same coin.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

unseen on May 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM

That could be. As you say, without local info it’s difficult to get a good feel of the politics.

This poster just answered me and that helped:
topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM

We do this by abandoning the biggest chance conservatives have after Reagan?

promachus on May 16, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I truly don’t know. It does make you wonder what it was about them that appealed to him. Youth? Did Gov. Romney rehire them this time around?

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:17 AM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM

LOL. Just another thing I missed:-) And here I thot idesign was getting creative! Thanks.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:19 AM

promachus on May 16, 2012 at 1:16 AM

No, but it’s an explanation why the establishment continues to not only ignore but to push back against Gov. Palin. She’s not their kind of people. They are afraid that she will shine the light on what they do.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:20 AM

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Cindy Munford:I hear ya,been following this BO FU The Clown,
since 07′,and his tiiiiiiiiiime is up!:)

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I’m sure the Palin loyalist have been saying this all night; but, really, probably the biggest political news of the week and it’s buried way down here?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Otay peeps,talk to you all tomorrow,a great night for Nebraska,and
a greater night for American Conservative Women,

with a SarahCudian *Wink*,

GoodNight Everyone—————-:)

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Lol. I looked up Jeff Fortenberry on Wikipedia and he’s the Congresscritter for Lincoln and he’s the representative for Lincoln and about a third of Eastern Nebraska. I was saying he’s the western rep. Goes to show that living in Omaha means you don’t pay attention to things outside the Metro area!

Having said that, I’m absolutely voting for Deb in the general election! (and she’s from Valentine, Nebraska!)

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Expand, please.

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:21 AM

From your keyboard to God’s ear.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

MeatHeadinCA:

Nitey MH,we seems to hit and miss————–:)

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

AP did apoligize for not taking the time to “cover” this race before tonight. So, that’s something…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:21 AM
———————————–

From your keyboard to God’s ear.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Cindy Munford:——————-:)

canopfor on May 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Idaho incumbents Raul Labrador and Mike Simpson have won their primaries.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

That’s good. I watched a video of Raul Labrador giving his background and how he came to this Country. He credited his mother and it was quite inspiring.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I’m sorry, I’m being dense, do you mean how far down it is on the page? AP didn’t even update the outcome!

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Joana is a Mittwitt.

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I don’t know what the problem is, but I’ve noticed conflicting comments tonight.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Well, if your talking about Deb Fischer winning in the primary over Bruning, that was unbelievable a week ago. Palin and Fortenberry endorsed and that was all she wrote. Literally, a week ago Deb Fischer was a long shot to win this race. I don’t blame Allah for not picking up on it (although he probably should have but he was busy covering Barry’s admission that he was a gay president).

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

No one has mentioned it but I was thinking it. But then I thought that it’s late and maybe Ed /Allah have a new intern or …

BoxHead1 on May 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Yes, she certainly did….

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Awesome. Looks like I’ll be making a side trip to Tampa during my annual Destin trip this year. :o))))

NoLeftTurn on May 16, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I pray to God that Sarah is going to come to Nebraska and stump for Deb Fischer. And I also hope I’m in the audience when that happens.

Dack Thrombosis on May 16, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Some will, some won’t. I’m one of those that won’t.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Count me in the “won’t” group too.

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 1:35 AM

but I’ve noticed conflicting comments tonight.

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Per Nomad, “a mass of conflicting impulses”…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Yakko77 on May 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Hope your Mom is ok but will say a prayer for her.

Maybe someone voted twice; once for you too:-)

We that support Palin know that she has that instinct.

This post has some of Fischer’s record:

AmeriCuda on May 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

bluefox on May 16, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Some will, some won’t. I’m one of those that won’t.

topdawg on May 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Count me in the “won’t” group too.

tencole on May 16, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Won’t what? Vote for Willard or won’t be happy about voting for Willard?…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Yes! That’s exactly what I meant. Gohawgs did point out the per-emptive apology, though.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM

It’s not that I think we need a thread about how awesome Palin is, but this came out of nowhere! Isn’t this what a credible, enthusiastic political blog would cover?

I get it. We’re all tired and there will be a post tomorrow, but this is way bigger than Obama’s gay marriage show.

People across America are picking people in the primaries that wouldn’t have been picked 4-8 years ago. I don’t know what this means for Romney or Obama, but I’m sure they have to be looking at these races and running through the data.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2012 at 1:48 AM