Obama in history?

posted at 12:01 pm on May 15, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

If you haven’t gotten enough of Barack Obama lecturing on constitutional law, just wait until you get a chance to read the White House’s take on presidential history.  Rory Cooper at the Heritage Foundation was the first to notice that the Obama administration edited the official presidential histories on the White House website to include a blurb about Obama on the page dedicated to Ronald Reagan.  Commentary’s Seth Mandel followed up and found numerous other examples:

Many of President Obama’s fervent devotees are young enough not to have much memory of the political world before the arrival of The One. Coincidentally, Obama himself feels the same way—and the White House’s official website reflects that.

The Heritage Foundation’s Rory Cooper tweeted that Obama had casually dropped his own name into Ronald Reagan’s official biography onwww.whitehouse.gov, claiming credit for taking up the mantle of Reagan’s tax reform advocacy with his “Buffett Rule” gimmick. My first thought was, he must be joking. But he wasn’t—it turns out Obama has added bullet points bragging about his own accomplishments to the biographical sketches of every single U.S. president since Calvin Coolidge (except, for some reason, Gerald Ford).

Why start at Calvin Coolidge?  I wonder whether they’ve just decided to go backwards and eventually plan to add Obama campaign slogans to every biography.  Here is a comprehensive collection of the “Did you know?” sections added to boost Obama, with links to the specific pages attached to the names of the former Presidents:

It’s difficult to decide which of these are the lamest.  The entry on JFK has to be in the running, though, with its proud declaration that Obama signed a proclamation! That must have been hard work, eh?  The entry for Carter makes it sound like the Department of Energy is somehow separate from Obama’s administration, when it’s as integral as any Cabinet department; “works with” is nonsensical.  The Nixon entry doesn’t even try to differentiate anything Obama does from any other President in the last 40 years.

Twitchy is tracking the responses on Twitter, where #ObamainHistory is a big trending topic.  We’ll see if the effort to have historical presidential glory rub off on Obama continues at the White House with further additions to biographies.  For myself, I can’t wait to see what Obama will have to say about Millard Fillmore.

Update: Actually, my favorite response so far comes from The Corner:

In the 12th Century B.C., Moses the Lawgiver delivered the Ten Commandments to the Israelites. President Obama the Lawgiver has added significantly to them, overseeing the enactment of a record number of new regulations.

Well played, Daniel Halper.  Well played.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

You mean like photoshopping him in to the signing of the Declaration of Independence or landing on the moon?

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Or at Waterloo? Big stick notwithstanding, he does have a lot in common with the tiny emperor.

Portia46 on May 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Reminds me of this guy.

UltimateBob on May 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

By the way, I never want to see this buffoon included in the Futurama Hall of Presidential Heads. Too depressing to be reminded of what he’s done to this country, and in effect, to the world.

KorlaPundit on May 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I hear there is a new term for this.

Narcissertion

Gunlock Bill on May 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

libfreeordie ran away. Last spotted with egg on its face.

NapaConservative on May 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Yet, you will do as told and vote for him again come Nov.

NapaConservative on May 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Its a two party system at the Presidential level NapaConservative. How on earth would me voting for Obama be anymore “doing what I’m told” than Newt/Santorum people pulling the lever (or pushing the button) for Romney in November…

libfreeordie on May 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM

this is why I voted Green in 2000 and 2004.

libfreeordie on February 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

So funny.

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I’m excited/scared for this guys concession speech. There better be a shrink on hand.

cantaffordcollege on May 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

libfreeordie ran away. Last spotted with egg on its face.

NapaConservative on May 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

You all are too much. If I stick around all day responding to every post people say “don’t you have a job?” If I go off and do work people say “what a coward, way to run away.” Really dude?

So funny.

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM

As usual your attempt to point to evidence of inconsistency falls short of hitting the mark (sadly, it doesn’t fall short of revealing your creepy post-stalking tendencies). I’m older and wiser than I was in 2000 and 2004. On a national level there’s no point in voting 3rd party.

libfreeordie on May 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Obowma spent 6 trillion dollars and all we have is 15% U6 unemployment?

I yearn for the “failed policies” of the GW Bush years: 5% unemployment, actual appreciation in home values, 15 million less on food stamps, blacks allowed school choice in DC schools, true job growth, faith in the American dream.

dthorny on May 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Precisely.

Lost in Jersey on May 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I like you. You’re funny.

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I can tell! However it says alot that in 9 or so months of posting thats all you could find. There’s quite a bit of difference in mild snark and claiming that Obama wants to destroy the entire nation. But, honestly, I do not want you to stop doing what you do. You clearly devote an *enormous* amount of time to searching, cutting, pasting and compiling other people’s statements on these threads. It must bring you joy and I’m happy it does.

libfreeordie on May 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM

libfreeordie on May 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I’m referring to the timing of your “disappearance”. Do you for a second think that anyone buys your spin? Really dude?

NapaConservative on May 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Classic comment from a dude named “tim in vermont” at Professor Althouse’s blog. She says it just might be the funniest comment in the history of her page:

“Like Jesus, Obama also sports the middle initial of ‘H’.”

Del Dolemonte on May 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM

This is getting to be rip-roar hilarious. Today could very well be the day that Obama jumped the shark.

Jurisprudence on May 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM

OK. I just discovered this twitter thing. This one is pretty cute:

III_Frogs RT @louis3288: #ObamaInHistory -w/the help of Obama Charles Darwin comes up with the theory of evolution. Obama evolves into a gay woman 120 years later…

And this:

III_Frogs RT @Writeman40: #ObamaInHistory Not only discovered 7 more states he also found a new earthquake region thru Washington DC called Bush’s Fault. RT@albo60s

Portia46 on May 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM

post-stalking

However it says alot that in 9 or so months of posting thats all you could find…

You clearly devote an *enormous* amount of time …

libfreeordie on May 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM

It’s always weird seeing someone admit they have no real idea how to use their computer or search engines. Good for you for having that sort of self confidence, though.

AOL Obama 2012!!!

(Hint: Don’t assume things you have difficulty with are difficult. It could just be a personal issue. Math is a good example for many people. Or understanding the difference between military ranks. Or driving. Or computers, for instance.)

You clearly devote an *enormous* amount of time

Hint: I just entered a phrase and copied a previous post. You typed. Totals in this thread as of your 4:09 entry:

libfreeordie- 6 posts
rogerb- 5 posts

You clearly devote an *enormous* amount of time

Hilarious.

Well played, commander. Well played. I doubt any of us ever expected you to add to contradictions while complaining about posts on your contradictions.

Again, I guess. I was pretty surprised you’d openly confirm napaconservative’s “you’ll vote for him again” point.

Well played overall. Great posts.

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

http://www.whitehouse.gov should include Vice Presidential bios so they could add that The One helped Al gore invent the internet.

NoPain on May 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

What do Barack Obama and Beaker from the Muppet Show have in common?

Every time they open their mouths, all that comes out is “Me-me-me-me-me!!!”

Bruce MacMahon on May 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Well played overall. Great posts.

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Again, if you can articular an argument for why voting for Obama = “selling out” that doesn’t also indict conservatives who vote for Romney I’m eager to read it. But I won’t hold my breath.

libfreeordie on May 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Well played overall. Great posts.

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

libfreeordie on May 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Goalposts/moving.

On a national level there’s no point in voting 3rd party.

libfreeordie on May 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Nothing there about “indicting” anyone, is there? All you. All “no point”. BTW, you’re basing your morality on what folks who “trade in the hate and vitriol” do?

Why should I care how your lack of conviction ties to Romney? You might do well to investigate it, though.

And no one except you said “selling out”. That sort of tells on itself, really.

(Comically, right before “I don’t trade in the hate and vitriol that many of you do”)

As I’ve said before, I was taught that if you find yourself rationalizing you should rethink your position. The position is likely wrong.

rogerb on May 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I think he’ll come to be regarded as the American Akhenaten, an enemy of our society.

claudius on May 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM

OK. I just discovered this twitter thing. This one is pretty cute:

And this:

Portia46 on May 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Obowma certainly throws a baseball and wears mom jeans like a woman

dthorny on May 16, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Holy sh**t! Pres.(WTF, WALDO!) has been there for America from the beginning! I didn’t know that? Wow!

Under the reference of Pres. Reagan’s designation of MLK Day; Can I get something like “Dahni Uru had two good bowel movements on this day!”?

dahni on May 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Watch. Obama will slip into FDR’s bio about the O fighting Nazis on the moon.

itsspideyman on May 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I meant no insult to MLK with my post, I liked him. I also liked Pres. Reagan.

dahni on May 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Obama does not have the brains to write this. He reads his script but does not write it. He didn’t think up the Office Of The President Elect. The man can hardly communicate without the prompters. There is no way that he wrote any of this garbage. He is a fraud of the first degree and remember his backers are the ones that gave the CD’s to take to England that won’t work on their system. A high school audio visual team could do a better job of doing the grunt work behind his pathetic showings.

mixplix on May 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM