FBI investigating possible hate-crime charges in Zimmerman/Martin case?

posted at 10:41 am on May 15, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

This really isn’t news, and it’s almost certainly not being reported accurately, but it’s worth reviewing nonetheless:

WFTV has learned charges against George Zimmerman could be getting more serious.

State prosecutors said Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman, profiled and stalked 17-year-old Trayvon Martin before killing him, so the FBI is now looking into charging him with a hate crime.

The WFTV headline is less ambiguous, and more incorrect:’ “FBI may charge George Zimmerman with hate crime.”  The FBI doesn’t charge people with crimes; they investigate crimes on behalf of the Department of Justice (as well as conduct intelligence operations, but that’s not germane to this issue anyway).  The US Attorney for the region would have to charge Zimmerman with a hate crime, and that would likely be Robert O’Neill, US Attorney for the Middle District of Florida.

The fact that the FBI is conducting an investigation into possible hate-crime charges isn’t news.  The Department of Justice announced weeks ago that they would investigate the case for a potential hate crime; the FBI is the appropriate agency for the investigation.  Their presence doesn’t indicate that charges will be filed or are likely to be filed.  It just means that they’re conducting an investigation and will report any evidence to the US Attorney.

As the video report notes, it will be difficult to present charges of a hate crime in this case.  First, as a neighborhood watch volunteer, it’s going to be difficult to argue that Zimmerman deliberately and maliciously “stalked” Martin while calling the police about him.  Second, as the legal analyst notes, hate crimes are based on states of mind — and Zimmerman’s own heritage and history would make it extremely difficult to argue that the defendant acted out of a hateful malice based on Martin’s ethnicity.  That doesn’t mean the US Attorney night not try to make the case, but given the incendiary and controversial nature of the case, most prosecutors wouldn’t roll the dice on those kinds of odds.

Of course, the investigation might well turn up enough evidence to warrant those charges.  We’ll know soon enough without baseless speculation at this point.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama campaign: We need more Trayvon, stat!

Rational Thought on May 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Eric Holder, that useless sack of .. at DOJ, needs to look like he is doing something, else lose his status as a Black man.

J_Crater on May 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Latinos voting for the party of Trayvon Martin’s “father” is like Blacks voting for the party of Robert Byrd. Oh, wait…

Archivarix on May 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Obama: “If I had a son from my gay marriage he’d look just like Trayvon, and he’d be gay too.”

Trafalgar on May 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM

What an utter pant load.

mchristian on May 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM

“If I had a son, he would be gay”

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Holder will lynch him if the incompetent DA in Sanford doesn’t manage to.

wildcat72 on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I was just thinking the other day that we haven’t heard much about this story lately. I guess the whole “Romney is a gay-bashing bully” meme never took off so it’s back to this.

joekenha on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

The deflection of the day

cmsinaz on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

As pictures of Martin leak out, he seems to be getting older and bigger. Not so much of a cute child any more is he? Odd that he continues to age after death.

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

$10 bucks says that if Zimmerman is found not guilty in his current trial, he will be charged with a hate crime.

Zaggs on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Travon provides on thing to Obama…just securing the 14% vote that is his base…big deal.

right2bright on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Another bright shiny object to distract Obamarubes.

WhatNot on May 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I doubt he wants to become the next Nifong, but Holder wouldn’t have a problem at all making him one and then, in seconds flat, throwing him under the bus.

TXUS on May 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Their [FBI] presence doesn’t indicate that charges will be filed or are likely to be filed.

What indicates that charges are likely is Eric Holder.

Holder would like to make it a hate crime for a “white” to self-defend against a member of a minority group.

petefrt on May 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Before there can be a hate crime, there first must be a crime.

So far, I have not seen much indication of a crime. At the bail hearing, even the State Attorney’s investigator said that he did not have anything to contradict Zimmerman’s version of events.

Also, Zimmerman called the police. If you are going to murder someone, and your plan starts, “First, I am going to get the police on the phone and tell them where I am and what I am doing,” you may need to smooth the rough edges off your plan. Just sayin’.

Having said that, I have zero confidence in Holder’s DOJ. If they can’t find a crime, they will make something up.

HeatSeeker2011 on May 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM

But the F.B.I. isn’t going to investigate The New Black Panthers for putting a bounty on Zimmerman’s head? How many derogatory ethnic slurs have been used against Zimmerman and threats against his life? The F.B.I. isn’t concerned or interested with George Zimmerman’s civil rights?

Dr Evil on May 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM

the FBI is now looking into charging him with a hate crime.

Translation- Obama campaign getting more desperate and Romney ahead in polls by four and trending up while Obama is trending down (including among women).

Seriously, it is really offensive how Obama uses the DoJ to make it appear he is doing something that resonates with blacks. Nevermind that Trayvon was a 17-year-old street thug and there is no evidence of profiling or stalking, Obama would put on a hoodie and eat skittles if he thought it would help him in the polls.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Watch out young black male. Bacracka, Sharpton, and Jackson will need one or more of you to die* in order to start the riots.

*Well, at least one or more of above and beyond the usual daily death rate which the media no longer reports. Democrats love them some black voters.

SouthernGent on May 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Of course, the investigation might well turn up enough evidence to warrant those charges. We’ll know soon enough without baseless speculation at this point.

Yes, because an investigation by the state prosecutors office turned up that compelling and iron clad evidence needed to charge Zimmerman with 2nd degree murder.

Ed, pull your head out of your arse on this one. Those with a political axe to grind will subvert our criminal justice system to suit their own political ends no matter what the evidence may say. The reality in this case is that Zimmerman not being charged with a hate crime would be the unexpected.

When corrupt and malicious people are in charge of our most cherished institutions they will be abused and used to cause mischief. Seriously, a DoJ willing to perpetrate something like Fast and Furious is really going to use an objective and nonprejudicial eye when examining the Zimmerman case?

What are you smoking Ed, and where can I get some?

NotCoach on May 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Obama campaign: We need more Trayvon, stat!

Rational Thought on May 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Exactly !

BigSven on May 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Holder would like to make it a hate crime for a “white” non-Black to self-defend against a member of a minority group Black.

petefrt on May 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

FIFY, bro. Eric “Scumbag” Holder makes it about the particular shade of “minoritiness”. Had being a minority helped Zimmerman much?

Archivarix on May 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

“If I had a son, he would be gay”

Electrongod on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

“If I had a boy, he’d want to be a girl.”

VegasRick on May 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

petefrt on May 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

My perception is that charging Zimmerman in such a heavy handed way would push as many voters away as it would mend fences with black voters.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Libs are trying to defang Castle Doctine laws. Watch them overuse the Hate Crime statutes and see them tossed instead.

DanMan on May 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

The deflection of the day

cmsinaz on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

War on Justice.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

If he’s guilty I hope he gets the death penalty. The prosecution delivered 67 CD’s of evidence.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Archivarix on May 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Well, Zimmerman is a “white” Hispanic so he only gets about 1/32 of the minoritiness credit. Holder’s just protectin’ “his people”

Trafalgar on May 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM

This is scary. The DOJ and the Obama administration are playing with the life of an American citizen. They are using him. I may be naive but I never thought this was possible in my country. Never. Just another reason why you can’t stay home or vote third party this year. Obama has to go. He is a threat to all of us.

magicbeans on May 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I hate everyone who is beating my head on concrete.

I can’t wait for the hate crime law to go to the SCOTUS. Equal protection or no law at all.

aniptofar on May 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I agree. However, we are not dealing with very bright people here.

Their politics overcomes any common sense they may have, every time.

HeatSeeker2011 on May 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Indeed happy nomad

cmsinaz on May 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM

HeatSeeker2011 on May 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM

They are such incredible political amateurs. By trying to gin up their base, they are activating the republican base, and pealing off democrats and independents. George Zimmerman isn’t white but he is Jewish, and Florida is a swing state.

At one time I thought that the Obama campaign understood optics, and made a point of shaping the public’s perception of Obama. Not anymore.

It takes Independents to win elections – Independents don’t vote for Bullies and Racist. George Zimmerman is no more a Caucasian than Elizabeth Warren is a Cherokee.

Bill Clinton: Barack Obama is an amateur.

Dr Evil on May 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

And Zimmerman is looking less white and more hispanic, no? And if you saw him walking over to the stand where he is pictured above, he looks about 160lbs soak and wet and all of 5’7″.

magicbeans on May 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It would be completely in character if the FBI cited NBC’s altered 911 transcripts as reason for investigating. Repeat the lies over and over and they ‘have’ to become accepted as the truth. It says so in the leftist playbook.

CitizenEgg on May 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM

First is the women vote. What the heck happened here? Last month, Obama led among women by 6 percentage points. In this poll, he’s trailing Romney by 2 points in the women’s vote.

I guess they can’t go with womyn are racists, so it’s Zimmerman is a “hate criminal” instead.

J_Crater on May 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Just preparing the groundwork for “social unrest”(Burn, baby, burn!) as we move into the heavy lifting part of the election season and Scooter falls further behind in polling. Got to keep the foot soldiers motivated.

a capella on May 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The Erick Holder Department of Injustice will try to make this a hate crime, anything to help Obama and distract from “Operation Fast and Furious”.

SWalker on May 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

All that means is the prosecution is over-reaching. It’s a bogus charge made to placate racist morons like you who would be rioting and looting Sanford Florida if Zimmerman were not charged with something. Trayvon Martin was a 17-year-old street thug, there is no evidence of stalking or profiling, and justice has nothing to do with this case. The prosecutor is no better than Mike Nifong- pandering to blacks.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Pure politics. There is virtually no chance they will charge him with a hate crime. This is a bone toss.

farsighted on May 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

So, let me get this straight … a guy who may or may not have committed a crime that may or may not have been racially motivated is being investigated for a hate crime by the FBI. But, a white couple in Virginia is targeted and attacked because they are white and nothing comes of that … even their employer (the local paper) doesn’t report on it.

By the way, proof of MSM media bias … prior to this, had anyone ever heard of someone referred to as a “white hispanic”? I don’t suppose properly referring to Zimmerman as a “hispanic” would have created such an uproar, huh?

OrbeaRider66 on May 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM

White women voted for Obama in 2008 so we could get past all this race stuff.

They are pissed. Romney is now up with the women folk.

faraway on May 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I used to do trial work (although I stopped doing it in 1998).

I am not surprised by the list of witnesses the State submitted, or by the purported “evidence.” It is standard operating procedure to file with the court a huge list of names: if you miss a name, the witness could be excluded. Same with the other “evidence.”

P.S.: You don’t get the death penalty for second-degree murder, despite all of your hopes.

HeatSeeker2011 on May 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Or maybe the FBI is investigating the NBPP for their hate crime against GZ (y’know, the $10k reward for his capture when no charges were pending). Now that would be a refreshing reality break.

CitizenEgg on May 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I’m one of the three people in the world who hasn’t picked a side for politics. I’ll wait to see what evidence they have and if he is guilty…I wish him death too.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

OOOOH! SHINY!!!

CurtZHP on May 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Could you possibly be any more hypocritical?

SWalker on May 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Martin’s parents’ lawyer did an outstanding job of only putting out pictures of a 12-year-old Trayvon. Of course that belies the 17-year-old street thug who was tatted up, had been suspended from school for having pot and burglery tools, and outweighed Zimmerman.

But such truth matters little to the racists supporting Martin and just spoiling for a good old-fashioned race riot.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I am not sure I can entirely agree that Zimmerman’s ethnicity and background make it more difficult to argue that it is a hate crime. If he had been recorded or witnessed saying something racist during the event, I don’t think the fact that he has a minority background would have helped him one bit.

The thing that makes it hard is the total lack of evidence. I don’t expect hate crime charges to come from this.

McDuck on May 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM

BS, I pegged you for what you are. A racist just wanting an excuse to riot, loot, and attack those of another race. Zimmerman will never be not guilty (note I did not say innocent) as far as filth like you is concerned.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Really? So you’ll be pushing to make those convicted of SECOND degree murder to be eligible for the death penalty? Just for Trayvon, right?

We pretty much know what evidence they have. If they’ve got nothing more than has already leaked through the MSM sieve, then I doubt there will be a conviction.

JannyMae on May 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I think this site has so far done excellent work on the Trayvon Martin case. Might want to have a look.

MISFern on May 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I believe the media is in cahoots with Team Skittles and this is just a cheap ploy to drum up money.

Hate Crime Charge For Zimmerman, Or Media Hype Disguised As Reporting?

The most accurate answer as to whether they can charge him is in the comments:

I may be missing it (sometimes statutes are tucked away under unexpected Titles), but I don’t see what federal statute Zimmerman could be charged under. The two most closely related I found were 18 U.S.C. § 241 (Conspiracy against rights) and 18 U.S.C. § 242 (Deprivation of rights under color of law). The 18 U.S.C. § 241 requires a conspiracy of two or more people. Obviously that doesn’t apply. 18 U.S.C. § 242 requires that the deprivation of rights be “under color of law.” My understanding of the term is that the action must be done by a state, or by someone acting under the authority of the state. A brief look at various SCOTUS decisions supports my understanding. For example, in Adickes v. SH Kress & Co., 398 US 144 (1970), the court said:

Quite apart from this Court’s construction of the identical “under color of” provision of § 2 of the 1866 Act, the legislative history of § 1 of the 1871 Act, the lineal ancestor of § 1983, also indicates that the provision in question here was intended to encompass only conduct supported by state action.

Zimmerman was not acting as an agent of Florida, nor did he use any state power. The best they could argue is that by calling the police and having the officers respond, Zimmerman was using the authority of the state. But that would be ridiculous, since neither action aided Zimmerman in his supposed goal of depriving Martin of his civil rights by killing him.

[Please note the photo of GZ's black great grandfather, black grandmother, and black mother. ]

Blake on May 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

And I pegged you for what you are…one of those idiots who doesn’t care what is right and wrong and can’t have any opinion that isn’t political. If he is guilty, I hope he dies. If he isn’t, I hope he gets off and sues the crap out of the state. It really is that simple.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I think we all know what this means:
When a jury of his PEERS acquits Mr. Zimmerman, the Feebs will jump in with both filthy feet to conjure up an exception to Double Jeopardy, like they did in the Rodney King case.
This is a STATE crime. Leave it THERE, ya jack-booted thugs.
So what if the zoo animals riot. There are LOTS of “bitter-clingers” in Florida.

Meanwhile, back at the DoJ, Eric the Beholder is going to skate on MURDER charges re: Fast and Furious(ly) f’ed up. It’s not nice to make we decent, hard-working, faithful take to the streets in order to quell violence that the GOVERNMENT started!
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on May 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Dr Evil on May 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM

What are you talking about? Not a day goes by anymore without a new Obama-with-Halo picture being released by the hagiographic hagayographic media.

And have you seen his latest, posed beneath the All-New, All-Vinyl, Ultra-Deluxe Premium Rainbow gaylo? (Now yours for only 99¢.)

Have you ever seen such a beatific image?… so… saintly… so… visionary… so… gay…

Point taken. Nevermind.

de rigueur on May 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

There have been numerous stories covering this case, including an excellent, seemingly balanced story from Reuters <—-link, and Ed has ignored them all. Then he chooses to post on this?

Sigh….

JannyMae on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

JannyMae on May 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM

The conservative view is…if you kill someone, you deserve to die. It isn’t complicated.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If he’s guilty I hope he gets the death penalty.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Under the law, he isn’t eligible for the death penalty — not even close.

Blake on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Good lord….

TheGarbone on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Could you possibly be any more hypocritical?

SWalker on May 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

It fits the profile. Ooops. I mean it is a behavior characteristic common to raging righteous liberals.

farsighted on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

…oh thank goodness!…I’m relieved!…I thought they were going to go after the New Black Panther Party or something!

KOOLAID2 on May 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Under the law, he isn’t eligible for the death penalty — not even close.

Blake on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I wish death on any person who takes a life. I don’t give a crap who is pulling for or against him. If he is innocent…I wish him life and a fat lawsuit.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM

farsighted on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Not too many liberals wish for a killers life to be snuffed out.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

If he’s found guilty, he’s not going to die. He is charged with 2nd degree murder. What is it that you don’t understand about that concept?

I think if you’re truly as objective as you pretend to be, you’d be more concerned with him getting a fair trial, at this point. Whether he is found guilty or not may have very little to do with whether he actually is guilty of anything, because of the way this case has been politicized.

I doubt you care, though, since you’re so quick to jump on other people for THEIR supposed bias.

JannyMae on May 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Sounds like Holder wants to spice things up. The Florida DA’s charges are a farce. They’re probably hoping to get Zimmerman to plead to manslaughter by holding a threat of “hate crime” prosecution over his head.

‘If we don’t get you, Holder will!’

And Holder is all over that case where two white reporters were set upon by Blacks who mentioned the Martin case while attacking them. Right. Bueller? Bueller?

GarandFan on May 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM

stingray, I, too, am not entirely sure what happened that night. My gut reaction was quite different from many here, but I wouldn’t vote to convict on 2nd degree murder given what little we know thus far. Whatever the result, I hope Trayvon’s family is eventually able to find peace. May he RIP.

McDuck on May 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM

What are you smoking Ed, and where can I get some?

NotCoach on May 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I think Ed is adopting a posture he believes necessary to maintain an air of objectivity so that he can continue to comment on this without being labled as rabidly one way or the other. I really don’t blame him for this although he does look a lot like AP when he does this.

swinia sutki on May 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

No, the conservative view is if you commit murder you deserve to die. We know that Zimmerman killed Martin. That isn’t in question. What hasn’t been determined is whether or not he did it in self-defense. So, it’s more complicated than you are trying to make it out.

JannyMae on May 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I don’t expect hate crime charges to come from this.

McDuck on May 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I do. George Zimmerman has already been convicted by many of one of Mr. Obama’s key demographics. They will not be satisfied until Zimmerman is either put to death or blood is running in the streets and I am not engaged in hyperbole.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

If he’s guilty I hope he gets the death penalty.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

It’s not a death penalty case, so don’t get your hopes up. Although with race-baiting thugs like the Black Panthers threatening to kill him and putting bounties on Zimmerman’s head (and the Obama DOJ doing absolutely nothing to punish their lawlessness), it won’t surprise anyone if Zimmerman ends up dead, regardless of the verdict.

As for the “profiling” claim, it’s going to be pretty hard for the DOJ to prove that Zimmerman “profiled” Martin because he was black, when the police tapes clearly show Zimmerman became suspicious of Martin because of Martin’s behavior and not his skin color.

What kind of message is the DOJ going to send if they charge Zimmerman with a hate crime? That anybody who sees someone behaving suspiciously better not call the police . . . unless they’re absolutely sure the person behaving suspiciously is white . . . otherwise they risk being charged with a federal hate crime for “profiling” a minority.

Lunacy.

AZCoyote on May 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM

We get it — you’re a loon. And even if he is found innocent, you want him to be found guilty in a civil court. So the evidence does not really matter to you.

Blake on May 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM

JannyMae on May 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM

LOL bias is picking a side because of politics.(WHich is what liberals and conservatives have done.) Hoping he dies if he murdered and hoping he gets off if he is innocent…you need to look up the definition of bias.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM

JannyMae on May 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Wrong moron. The conservative view is that if you willfully with premeditation deprive someone of their life without reasonable justification then you are deserving of the death penalty.

The conservative viewpoint is that there is such a thing as justifiable Homicide. It’s enshrined in the doctrines of self defense as codified in both the Castle and Stand your Ground laws.

As a conservative Moby, you are a EPIC failure.

SWalker on May 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

It never has been that simple primarily because of race being brought into a situation where there is no indication (other than those doctored NBC tapes) that race was involved. That bigotry was then compounded by racists like you who will not be happy until somebody is rioting and looting.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Blake on May 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I think you’re the loon. I looked over my comments and don’t see where I said any such thing. I said I hope he sues and wins if he’s innocent. But I know what you hope no matter what happened…

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

From the looks of his resume, Criminal Mastermind Holder is not likely to persuade the local US Attorney to file charges on a superficial basis. He may be a career DOJ prosecutor, but he’s also a guy with tremendous experience, first in the Southern District of NY (where prosecutors learn right away how to fend off over-zealous main Justice types), in Washington (including stints as head of criminal and special prosecutions), and two stints as US Attorney in the middle district of Florida. This guy is going to be able to tell Holder to pound sand if anyone tries to exert undue influence from Washington; unless, of course, they bribe him with a judicial appointment. He’s going to get a federal judgeship at some point anyway, but Holder might try to dangle an early appointment. We will see, but if I were advising Zimmerman and he were innocent of any real “hate crime” I would suggest he could take some comfort in O’Neill’s background because he doesn’t look the sort to make it up on command from the administration.

MTF on May 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Doofus: Zimmerman is a card carrying liberal and the DA a Republican. The only one exhibiting political bias is you.

Blake on May 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

That’s why No_Limit_N is dead. He tried to kill someone.

Ronnie on May 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

AZCoyote on May 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Exactly. What we know of Holder suggests that this is the intention.

petefrt on May 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

The Obama campaign is admitting they are willing to lose the “White Hispanic” vote…

“Look!! Sandra Fluke!!

Khun Joe on May 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Could you please explain how I’m racist if I haven’t picked a side People like you hope for a person to get away with murder for politics. Other people hope he is found guilty for politics. How scummy is that?

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

That’s why No_Limit_N is dead. He tried to kill someone.

Ronnie on May 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I don’t know that and I know you don’t either. You’re one of many who could know he killed someone and hope he gets away with it. Slimy scumbag thinking.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM

JannyMae on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for the link. Every bit of that story will be admissible by the defense. Which the prosecution would rather not.

de rigueur on May 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

That might be your view, but I don’t think most conservatives are so keen to oversimplify something in quite that way. There are such things, after all, as accidental deaths, self-defense, killing in military combat… that is the reason there are degrees of severity in murder charges and some are even charged as manslaughter or criminal neglect.

He will be tried according to the statute that fits his crime and the punishment if he is found guilty will be applied under the parameters provided to the judge in that same statute. Upholding our system of law, THAT is the conservative view.

The Schaef on May 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I don’t question your politics, I question your cognitive abilities. Some of us have examined the evidence and find a charge of 2nd degree murder to be absolutely laughable. You, on the other hand, are happy to simply let things proceed without spending any time at all to consider the known facts of the case. I bet you think O.J. is innocent, don’t you?

How about you grow a pair and actually take a position based on the evidence we have so far?

NotCoach on May 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

NotCoach on May 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

LMAO…you’ve examined the evidence that only the state knows about…LOL

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM

So we are suppose to believe that Zimmerman planned to commit murder / hate crime but first decided to call 911. Just to give them a heads up?

AndrewsDad on May 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM

MTF on May 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

He will be bypassed if necessary. The political ambitions of this administration are far more important then anything else.

NotCoach on May 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Well he is 1/16th “white guy”. LOL

jeffn21 on May 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Nowadays an investigation meansw it’s true. People aren’t buying that anymore. You have to have proof. If anyone profiled Martin, it was the 911 operator.

lea on May 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Could you please explain how I’m racist if I haven’t picked a side

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Because you lie when you claim you are neutral.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

LMAO…you’ve examined the evidence that only the state knows about…LOL

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Don’t get too excited, you might do poopy in your diaper.

I look forward to this super secret, highly classified and awesomey awesome evidence that will prove Zimmerman killed Martin. Oh wait, we already know that. Seriously, cognitive ability! You have none!

One prosecutor already declined to prosecute because of a lack of evidence, and the special prosecutor declined to send this to a grand jury because she knew no grand jury was never gonna hand 2nd degree murder charges based on the available evidence.

You’re a simple minded joke who likes to pretend to be objective because you lack the cognitive abilities to discern fact from BS.

NotCoach on May 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

So, the FBI has caught everybody on the Ten Most Wanted list? The FBI has caught all the criminals who pose real threats to the public, so they have the resources to spend on investigating this case?

This is just another example of Obama and Holder using DOJ resources to advance their political agendas?

Well, I am just shocked. After all, Eric Holder swore under oath in his confirmation hearing he was going to end the politicization of the DOJ by the Bush administration. I don’t remember him saying he was doing so in order to politicize the DOJ himself to serve Obama’s political agenda. (Any damned fool who bought Holder’s perjurious BS was probably a Republican Senator. I mean you, Dick.)

novaculus on May 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

That awful white guy killed the son Obama never had. He deserves to hang!

Extrafishy on May 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Apparently you don’t know what it means when you’re on top of someone hitting their head on the pavement. It means you’re trying to kill someone – or at the very least, you don’t care if you do. Fascinating that you should not know anything about the case but you claim to know what I know, and you don’t know anything about me. I sense that you’re just spouting random nonsense in order to make you feel better about your own ridiculous comments. In fact, I do know much more than you do. I know many of the people who talk about the case on TV while you watch from your grandmother’s basement and eat your own snot.

Ronnie on May 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Trayvon’s getting bigger and Zimmerman’s getting darker. Hmmmm.

ncjetsfan on May 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

But if Zimmerman was a WASP he’d be toast?

EnglishRogue on May 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Because you lie when you claim you are neutral.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

You didn’t read me saying he is innocent or guilty. Nor did I say anything about politics. I can see why you find that HARD to believe.

stingray9813 on May 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Uh, ok.

So… when will he FBI FBI investigate possible hate-crime charges in regards to the New Black panther Party issuing a ‘dead or alive’ bounty on the head of G. Zimmerman?

locomotivebreath1901 on May 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM