Are you ready for the alternative Newsweek Obama gay-marriage covers?

posted at 6:08 pm on May 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

I can’t decide which I like better: The one of the rainbow flag flying over the White House (victory!) or the one of the omnipotent American father holding up the two male cake toppers, a beatific glow around him, the whole cultural world literally in his hands. But where’s the one of him desperately trying to cover Biden’s mouth on “Meet the Press” before he inadvertently forced O to “courageously” profess the belief he’d been cowardly hiding for decades? Or how about one showing a group of wealthy gay Democratic bundlers, young voters, and assorted limousine liberals presenting him with one of those giant sweepstakes-placard checks for $100 million? Alas, that degree of realism about what really motivated this “evolution” falls to one of the country’s three or four conservative editorial cartoonists to grapple with. Or what about this one from American Weasel, which nicely illustrates the possibility that Obama miscalculated on this issue?

Speaking of which, via Mediaite, here’s Sharpton and Bashir trying to puzzle out how anyone can think Obama “evolved” for political advantage when Romney’s been the big winner poll-wise so far. Answer: The key words there are “so far.” Once Biden pushed this issue front and center, O faced the dilemma of keeping up the lie about his beliefs while the media carped ever more loudly about it or coming clean and facing a backlash among older voters, black Democrats, and socially conservative independents. Like I said last week, he probably reasoned that it was better to ‘fess up now, collect millions in donations from his newly excited base, and count on voters’ attention spans to make them forget all about this come November than to let it drag out and potentially blow up in his face at an inopportune moment later on. Romney’s not going to stray too far afield to talk about SSM lest it complicate his economic message so Obama’s betting that by election day it’ll be more or less a non-issue. My hunch is that he’s probably right about that, especially if something happens between Israel and Iran, but eyeball this new data from ABC showing a gap, including among independents, between the number who strongly oppose Obama’s new position and the number who strongly support it. No surprise there. But will it endure?

Comments

Our country is turning into a punchline.

CycloneCDB on May 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Its homoliscious.

EnochCain on May 15, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Obama’s toyfriend sighted outside the WH
Let me warn, it can’t be unseen !!

burrata on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I like the rainbow flag flying over the White House, but I’d have added a perky pic of Barry with a rainbow tie standing proudly on the WH lawn.

Slainte on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Bet you Putin, Chavez, Castro, et al are laughing so hard they’re pissing themselves.

Barack Obama. International drag queen. Lovely.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

This line of thinking is prevalent in an environment built on the premise that same-sex marriage is not only the right side of history, but the Way, the Truth, and the Life in our culture.

I’m going to laugh so hard when Obama goes down in flames and takes the smear-everyone “at all costs” gay marriage movement down with him. Everything this president touches turns to sh*t.

KingGold on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Please don’t tell me they’re really going to get rid of the original one! I have to have a copy for posterity. I want to keep it on my desk at work so my lib co-workers can be reminded every day!

SailorMark on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

How is that a plus for obaka?

ladyingray on May 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM

But will it endure?

Possibly.

One of Obama’s attacks on Romney will be Romney’s numerous positions on issues through the years.

Romney will counter with an ad showing Obama flip-flopping on Gitmo, Keystone, and a bunch of other issues — including gay marriage.

amerpundit on May 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Barack Obama. International drag queen. Lovely.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

L O L A Lola…………..

50sGuy on May 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Bashir, Sharpton attack respondents? As in regular people answering a poll? Yes, my friends, the Bradley effect will be in full swing as people lie to protect themselves from attacks like these.

thebrokenrattle on May 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Net effect of his coming out.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM

And for all you rubes out there who think that he won’t re-evolve should the occasion demand it, well, I just don’t know what to say to such a precious faith in his word.

Lily on May 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Slainte on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Rainbow bowtie and rainbow suspenders.

Blake on May 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM

he could have opted for the “i’m coming out for obama” hoodie – so appropriate on several levels. hate whitey and love /pander to teh ghey all at once. a twofer.

mittens on May 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM

L O L A Lola…………..

50sGuy on May 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

No doubt.

/Larry Sinclair

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM

could someone please pass the razor blades? i’ve truly had enough.

GhoulAid on May 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Turns out I wasn’t ready.

Incredibly, grappling with the Google Redirect malware, which threatens to end life as I know it, is no worse than perusing news of O.

J.E. Dyer on May 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Based on anecdotal comments since he made the announcement?

Yes, it endures, AP.

In baseball parlance, he made a big, bad trade in the spring which will haunt him in September and October.

PolAgnostic on May 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM

All these “controversial” covers give Big Media an excuse to talk about their REAL favorite subject:

Themselves.

Have you noticed all the inside baseball meta analysis of “what it all means”? “Print isn’t dead after all!” “We’re still relevant” etc.

ConservativeTalkRadio on May 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Lily on May 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Well, give Maobama some credit here…. while it took a little more time to “evolve” on this issue, he is coming very hard from behind on it now…and would seem to be way past evolve and going into “hyper” evolve as witnessed at Barnard College yesterday….

- where at that college, plenty of fish need contraceptives to ride their bicycles.

/inyourendo

FlaMurph on May 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I don’t know why President Obama stopped at Gay Marriage.

Why not redefine the meaning of the Commerce Clause?
Or change the meaning of the War Powers Act?

Oh………er…nevermind.

Varchild on May 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

The Progressive States of America

Flag: Rainbow, with profile of the Dear Leader superimposed
Anthem: This, or the NPR jingle with appropriate lyrics

spiritof61 on May 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Barack Obama. International drag queen. Lovely.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

They always knew it.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

This version is the most apt for the Narcissist-in-Chief since it uses the word “me” twice, and “I” once.

Buy Danish on May 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

How…sweet.

I’m gonna go hurl,now.

kingsjester on May 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

This depicts him the best.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM

“Subtle” Heh!

Pablo Snooze on May 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Are Bashir and Sharpton lovers? Who is obama dating these days?

Pork-Chop on May 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

“… which nicely illustrates the possibility that Obama miscalculated on this issue?”

O_O

You think…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

This is just too much. It is almost like Tina Brown & Company really, really, really want Mitt Romney to become the next POTUS.

Punchenko on May 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I feel like I’m having gay overload at HotAir the past couple of days…I shouldn’t complain, as the whole gay rights/marriage thing is an important and heavily divisive issue, and it affects me and my future directly.

The downside is that I rarely see an actual civilized debate and exchange of thoughts on teh ghey threads. It’s just a lot of “I’m right” and “God’s law”…no one seems to want to actually learn something. We are all Americans, some conservative, some liberal, some don’t even know what they are. We cry at funerals, we laugh a a good comedy flick, play sports, and spoil our pets…just to name a few things. We’re all in this thing called life together, and that life is far too short for petty bs like “redefining marriage”.

On a side note, I’ve always found it a bit ironic that the rainbow flag, with it’s different color stripes, is supposed to represent the diversity of gays…yet unless you’re a raging liberal many won’t want to have anything to do with you, and all you get is “traitor! you’re a traitor to gays everywhere.”

There’s more exclusion going on than any acceptance of diversity.

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I imagine a cartoon using this theme, with Barry dressed for the Gay Pride Parade in the final “evolved” image. But yeah, I know, that would be raaaacist.

Buy Danish on May 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Barack Obama. International drag queen. Lovely.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

President Gay-for-pay. :-(

Punchenko on May 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Well the collapse of Greece began in earnest today, no worries as we have never been affected by the goings on in that corner of the globe and Barry loves him some Ghey so all is well..

TheGarbone on May 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Sooooooo gay.

Pork-Chop on May 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Are Bashir and Sharpton lovers? Who is obama dating these days?

Pork-Chop on May 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

George Clooney

msupertas on May 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Thing is, a black flag and a rainbow flag can’t fly over the White House simultaneously.

Bishop on May 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM

We’re all in this thing called life together

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Ok that was pretty gay.

Bishop on May 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM

JetBoy, your problem is that you are disingenuous. In order to engage in “civilized debate,” as you put it, you are going to have to have an open mind and be willing to admit when you are wrong. This is a very hard thing to do, especially if you’ve built your life around a rotten cause (not saying that you have, BTW), but you’re going to have to do it if you want the truth. For example, yesterday you tried to present a perversion of Catholic teaching about homosexuality and were called on it. Your argument was picked apart in minutes, so you resorted to ad hominems. Needless to say, no one will seriously engage you in discourse if you continue in this manner.

spiritof61 on May 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM

We are being dictated to by Presnitwit Twinkl Toes and the ineffectual Repunks have done not a thing to stop his power grabs.
They had better fight the drones flying over our cities else they must all be thrown out on their asses.
Presnitwit Twinkle Toes is bending the Repunks over and not even pulling their hair!
He’s giving the USA a shellacking, ripping the constitution to shreds while our supposed opposition cowers saying may I have another Sir, Please?

ConcealedKerry on May 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Who is obama dating these days?

Pork-Chop on May 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

He dates by the hour these days,

burrata on May 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

How is that a plus for obaka?

ladyingray on May 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Obama: “Look over there, a shiny object, a war in the Middle East. Time for all you conservatives to rally around my butt.”

Gladtobehere on May 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Ok that was pretty gay.

Bishop on May 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, it kinda does seem to be…

I can’t hide or suppress everything I do or say :P

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Gay for?

Pay
Cocaine
A smoke

SouthernGent on May 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

This depicts him the best.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Nice photoshop. ; )

Bmore on May 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I like the White House, but I’d have added Barry bamstahhhhh!!!!! You da mannnnn bammyt babbyyyyy!!! love ya barry ol buddy ol palllll !!!! yahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Slay 15, 2012 at 15 PM

cableguy615 on May 15, 2012 at 6:50 PM

God called…He wants His rainbow back!

ticklbee on May 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM

yepper

cmsinaz on May 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM

What was the purpose of the “alternative covers”? To make us forget the cheesy original? He’s done already.

You know his gaylo is made right there in Chicago? Cheap at twice the price!

de rigueur on May 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Yeah the liberals love “States Rights” all of a sudden!!!!! I’m gay for states rights!!!! What else can we apply it to? …anybody? *crickets*

MechanicalBill on May 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Being +$16 Trillion dollars in debt is so gay…!

Seven Percent Solution on May 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM

spiritof61 on May 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I agree with you on the point that civility in debate is a two-way street. I try my best at it, but I’ve always said I’m not right all the time, and I own up to my mistakes…Charlie Crist ring a bell?

And the thing is, I’ll get “gay marriage is just the beginning, gays want to take down Christianity” stuff, and when I disagree or ask for some precedent or evidence to support that claim I am labelled as being “wrong”.

As for my Catholicism, what happens to me when I perish will be God’s will, and it’s really none of your business. I was told that the Catholic Church labels homosexuality a sin…I replied something like gays are called on to be chaste as there are doubts about why some people are gay. Gay sex is equivalent in sin as pre-marital hetero sex…and it’s pre-marital sex which includes by default gay sex as well.

My side certainly was not “knocked out of the water” either, in any way, shape, or form. As I stated then, I had to bolt in the middle of all the colorful debates going on, but I’m home tonight and if you’d like to rehash anything, I’m here.

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Slainte on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

You laugh, but I’ve got five bucks that says the White House gets bathed in rainbow light before Nov. He’s THAT desperate.

BettyRuth on May 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

spiritof61…want to add:

Homosexual desires, however, are not in themselves sinful. People are subject to a wide variety of sinful desires over which they have little direct control, but these do not become sinful until a person acts upon them, either by acting out the desire or by encouraging the desire and deliberately engaging in fantasies about acting it out. People tempted by homosexual desires, like people tempted by improper heterosexual desires, are not sinning until they act upon those desires in some manner.

Read more HERE

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Are Bashir and Sharpton lovers? Who is obama dating these days?

Pork-Chop on May 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM
George Clooney

msupertas on May 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM

If you’re going to throw stuff like that out there, you need to preface it with a clorox alert. I really like the “Ocean” movies, and I don’t think I can un-see that comment.

BettyRuth on May 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

BettyRuth on May 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Just have his people put a couple of unicorns on the front lawn, and The One could kill two birds with one stone…in a “here’s your rainbow and unicorns y’all!” kind of way

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

No, I’m sorry that’s just unacceptable. The thought of seeing Chris Matthews and Joy Behar with tears of pride running down their faces is too much for me to deal with.

BettyRuth on May 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM

If I recall correctly, no one was saying yesterday that homosexuality–the state of being sexually attracted to the same sex–is in itself sinful or immoral. Acting on it is, however. Where you are wrong is in holding that homosexual activity/behavior is immoral and sinful solely because it is by definition extramarital (since you cannot marry a person of your own sex, unless you are a Democrat). It is that, of course, but homosexual acts are immoral and sinful per se. That is the teaching of the Catholic Church and, until relatively recently, of all Protestant churches as well.

spiritof61 on May 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Barack Obama. International drag queen. Lovely.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

…oh yes!…and JugEars is doing SO MUCH to improve our perception in the world!

KOOLAID2 on May 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Barack Obama. International drag queen. Lovely.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Wait until that big kiss on Chavez’s lips on an SNL episode during the height of campaign season. The Bollock-Johansson (and I suppose the O’Connor-Davis one, too) stunt will pale in comparison.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM

enough of the ghey for pete’s sake.

1 gay post should require 1 boobs post.

fairness.

ted c on May 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM

How about a pic of an oiled up Barry swooning into the arms of Larry Sinclair?

Dack Thrombosis on May 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

This depicts him the best.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Nice photoshop. ; )

Bmore on May 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Ya’ll made me scroll up. Well worth it!

Those ears. You could dip ‘em in flour deep fry ‘em and sell ‘em at a State Fair.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

1 gay post should require 1 boobs post.

fairness.

ted c on May 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Well, he’s ghey and he’s a boob.

/Fairness.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

KWR; that ain’t what i’z a sezzin.

ted c on May 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM

1 gay post should require 1 boobs post.

fairness.

ted c on May 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Well, he’s ghey and he’s a boob.

/Fairness.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Would you two please quit it with the tit-for-tat…

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM

KWR; that ain’t what i’z a sezzin.

ted c on May 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I knowz, I knowz.

/But I had just had to do it.

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Would you two please quit it with the tit-for-tat…

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM

OK. I’ll get rid of the tit in the Oval and exchange it for tat other guy… the smart one. The one that’s not a fairy dust socialist with a Nixonian bent.

:o)~

Key West Reader on May 15, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Here are some alternative covers…

Mr. Joe on May 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Is Ricky Martin a U.S. citizen? Or is the President taking foreign money?

rogaineguy on May 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Would you two please quit it with the tit-for-tat…

JetBoy on May 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM

….shut-up JetBoy …I’m enjoying it dammit…

KOOLAID2 on May 15, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Did you get a load of the cover with the entire quote with the rainbow background? So many me, me, me and I, I, I’s in a single sentence that was supposed to free the gay population. Just the construction of the sentence indicates how disingenuous our first lesbian president is about what he is saying.

ihasurnominashun on May 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Or is the President taking foreign money?

rogaineguy on May 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Obama is taking gay Ozzie Munchkin money from “Somewhere Over the Raimbow.”

Gladtobehere on May 15, 2012 at 8:44 PM

….shut-up JetBoy …I’m enjoying it dammit…

KOOLAID2 on May 15, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Didn’t Barney Frank say the same words to Jetboy?

Gladtobehere on May 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM

This is the best one, hands down.

Urban Infidel on May 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM

JetBoy, you do know he is pandering right?

EnochCain on May 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The Obama in front of Rainbow flag photo reminds me of photos like this one.

Some people have already been jailed in Europe for quoting the Bible about homosexuality being a sin (and a few were threatened with going to jail), and people in America have been faced with lawsuits, getting fired, bullied, etc, for speaking against homosexuality even on their own time.

All in all, the photos of Obama -any of them- by Newsweek covering this topic look ridiculous.

TigerPaw on May 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Here’s the elephant in the room – same sex “marriage” is an issue of the progressive left. Which is why 0bama has embraced it, after flirting with it for so long, and why conservatives have worked to stop it.

Let the democrats be the party of the radical homosexual agenda and same sex “marriage”, let the GOP be the party of traditional marriage and family values. Let the chips fall where they may.

So far, the chips are falling just fine.

Rebar on May 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM

TigerPaw on May 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I agree…except the analogy of a gay rainbow flag and a Nazi flag is rather ridiculous…and I might add rather obvious, the left used the same analogy against President Bush. It’s old and tiresome, and is demeaning to the millions who were marched into gas chambers and murdered.

right2bright on May 16, 2012 at 7:00 AM

First gay president…

“drag out”

and

“potentially blow up in his face at an inopportune moment”

Really AP?

mechkiller_k on May 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM

How is that a plus for obaka?

ladyingray on May 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Exactly, I mean which side does he support? Does he follow his head or his heart on this one.

mechkiller_k on May 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM

mechkiller_k on May 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM

He’s probably confused because they are both up his a$$.

swinia sutki on May 16, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Regarding alternate covers, why are the “cake figures two white males”? Why isn’t one “black”?

SpiderMike on May 16, 2012 at 8:19 AM

This game of “first fill-in-the-blank” president started with Clinton, who was hailed as the “first black president” (and in 2008 became the first racist former first black president). It is based on presidents touting social issues of whatever group. Based on that, Bill Clinton was actually the second black president because the intellectually honest know that Abraham Lincoln was the first “black” president, and actually was the first REPUBLICAN president. The difference is, Abraham Lincoln’s “touting” was actually substantive, not politically contrived.

conservative4freedom on May 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Sorry, Allah, but you’re wrong about the damage this does to Obama, and so is Obama.

Between gay marriage and the HHS “contraception” ruling, Obama has “sealed the deal” for Romney with social conservatives, even / especially with the ones who don’t like Mormons. All without Romney having to do anything that might turn off the “moderate” / ignorant voters who decide elections.

Would they have voted for Romney anyway? Probably. But Romney might have been pushed to give them attention he can’t afford to give them, and they wouldn’t have donated money or time to help him.

Now? Obama is the gay marriage candidate. IF he wins, the Supreme Court most certainly will force it on all of us. If he loses, and Romney wins, Romney will probably get the chance to appoint a 5th vote who just says no to “discovering” gay marriage in the US Constitution, regardless of what Kennedy wants.

Further, having a who bunch of people come “off the fence’ for you now (so cons for Romney) while a bunch more or your eventual voters decide to go “on the fence” for you (blacks, older Democrats for Obama) means a couple of months of better polling for Romney.

If Obama spends all summer behind Romney in the polls, it’s over. Obama’s move made that more likely.

This was a big move, and a bad move.

Greg Q on May 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Further thoughts:

IIRC, Iowa will have three more State Supreme Court “Justices” who forced Same Sex Marriage on Iowa, on the ballot this November. There were three on the ballot in November, 2010, all three lost, by between 8% and 10%, and Branstad (R) won the Gov race by 10%.

So essentially IA will be having a referendum on SSM in November, is expected to strongly vote against SSM, and will have a Presidential race involving someone who will appoint judges ready to create a Federal “right” to SSM, v. someone who won’t.

Expect Romney to take IA. Because when 54% to 55% of voters are voting to get rid of judges who create a “right” to SSM, they’re not going to turn around and vote for a President who will appoint more such judges.

Greg Q on May 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM