Breitbart.com: Document supporting Elizabeth Warren’s ancestry claim doesn’t exist

posted at 6:13 pm on May 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

The exciting conclusion to the Case of the Missing Marriage Application. Remember, after a bit of sleuthing, Michael Patrick Leahy determined that the whole 1/32 claim came down to an 1894 marriage application that had supposedly been unearthed by an amateur genealogist but which no one else had actually seen. Leahy couldn’t reach that genealogist on Friday; today, he did. Mystery solved:

Lynda Smith, the amateur genealogist who unknowingly found herself at the root of the false “Elizabeth Warren is 1/32 Cherokee” meme introduced to the media by “noted” genealogist Chris Child of the New England Historic Genealogical Society, acknowledged in an email to me this past Saturday, May 12, that her statement in a March 2006 family newsletter upon which Mr. Child based his claim of Ms. Warren’s Cherokee ancestry was made with no supporting documentation. It was, in fact, an honest mistake that Ms. Smith now acknowledges is entirely without foundation…

According to Ms. Smith:

“I am rather embarrassed about this posting of mine [on rootsweb about William J. Crawford], especially since it seems to be of some importance…. I’ve been through all papers in my Crawford file and I didn’t find who sent that Cherokee reference to me…”

Read the whole thing for an explanation of Smith’s mistake. The obvious question: Why did the professional genealogist who confirmed Warren’s ancestry for the Boston Herald rely on an amateur’s research instead of demanding to see the original documents? Investigative reporter and genealogist Thomas Lipscomb was wondering that too and sent this e-mail to Powerline:

No reputable genealogist or genealogical organization would ever use a family newsletter by an amateur genealogist as the basis for an opinion. They require direct documentation from a certified copy of a birth or marriage certificate or some other objective evidence. While family newsletters, or family web postings may provide a useful tip as to where the real documentation may be, they are just as likely to be dead wrong encrustations of family myth that may or may not be true, but can’t be proven.

While family members may find these myths of interest, professionals like the New England Historic Genealogical Society and Christopher Child, or the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, where I have served on the Heraldry Committee, will not accept them as documentation for any kind of genealogical claim. And they certainly won’t take a chance of embarrassing themselves professionally by making a public statement on the basis of flimsy evidence they regard as little more than rumor.

Read all of that too. But wait — you’re not done reading yet. One last piece is William Jacobson’s new post chronicling his e-mail exchange with the New England Historic Genealogical Society and the curious appearance in his comments of someone who’s very interested in spinning what the NEHGS originally told the Herald. Did they really confirm that Warren is Native American, or did they merely confirm that she had an ancestor by the name of O.C. Sarah Smith whom others were claiming was Native American? Spintastic.

Via the Daily Caller, here’s Warren standing by her claim even as Scott Brown’s campaign insists that there’s nothing left of her minority status. Alternate headline: “Elizabeth Warren: I’m very proud of my Native American heritage that apparently no one can document.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Somewhere, Dan Rather weeps….. for the lost opportunity to help Warren out here.

Vanceone on May 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Shouldn’t we be looking for wampum?

JeremiahJohnson on May 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Paging Captain Renault, Captain Renault to the white courtesy phone please…

SWalker on May 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

She would not be where she is without claiming she was a Native American.
It is fraud.

albill on May 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Evidence to support Warren’s claim to “the people’s seat” doesn’t exist as well. At this rate she might not survive the primary.

msmveritas on May 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Ugh…..Princess High Cheekbones lookin fishy!

Squaw soundum like forked tongue.

PappyD61 on May 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

If I were Native American, I would be proud of my heritage…./next bit of spin….

txmomof6 on May 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

When I was a kid my mom told me I was part Cherokee. Because I had high cheekbones. I’m blonde/blue; she later revealed what an old wive’s tale it was and how she used to get a kick out of screwing around with me and my brothers (also blonde/blues).

Poor Elizabeth.

Don’t you think a Harvard educated Elitist would know better?

Which, brings to mind the higher education bubble, and what appears to be the utter worthlessness of a Harvard Degree.

Where does obama fit in? Applications anyone? Foreign exchange student? Diversity push?

Hmm.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Warren is an idiot. She’s running for a Senate seat in MA. She should be at Daisy Buchanan’s or the Purple Shamrock every night with a beer in her hand having her picture taken while she’s BSing with the crowd. Pretend to be IRISH, for Pete’s sake. But noooooooo…

joejm65 on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Laughable and pathetic. Elizabeth Warren is a disgusting fraud.

Cicero43 on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Heh, you leftie witch, multi-millions work hard, and don’t lie, nor do they take other Native Americans’ jobs.

That she is a leftie is thicker than molasses.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

She could always borrow Obama’s Gaylo.

elvisdaisy on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

How long before the Dem’s toss her overboard and find a loony Kennedy to run in her place?

JPeterman on May 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Well, sure. She’s already applied for a casino license and bought a Pinto pony.

AubieJon on May 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Stupid expert,
she should have searched DMV records.
THAT is where titles to all Grand Cherokees are registered !

burrata on May 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

i do my work, I work hard….

there you go folks. If you do that, even you can claim the NA ancestry.

who woulda known/

ted c on May 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

So… this Warren person is a minority, but Zimmerman is a “cracker”… got it. Liberal logic is looney.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on May 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Ted Kennedy’s old Senate seat is cursed, just like the Red Sox were cursed for 80+ years. Maybe it will be 80+ years before a Democrat wins that seat again? Hey, why not…

joejm65 on May 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Warren:

Oh, you mean they had to be REAL accestors.

Oil Can on May 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

What a swine she is, with apologies to the clean critters…”I’m proud of my Native American heritage”..

Heh, also, she wants the subject back to the “economy” and she accuses Brown of changing the subject.

Witch, talk to Obama about changing the subjects.

Schadenfreude could not be surpassed at the hilarity and hypocrisy on the left.

Media, you utter fools, most of you, may youe heads esplode, for dereliction of duty, from a huuuuuge headache.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

If a man can claim to be a woman and be legally recognized as such, why should anyone say anything contrary as long as she “feels” like an Indian.

Greek Fire on May 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

She is as delusional as Nancy Pelosi.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

is she referring to her composite ancestry?

ted c on May 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Spintastic.

Circling the wagons…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on May 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Well, sure she does! She’s already applied for a casino license and bought herself a nifty Pinto pony and a blanket. (This may post twice – my apologies but the first one has yet to appear.)

AubieJon on May 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

10 to 1 Warren finds a convenient piece of tree bark with her ancestry written on it in porcupine quills.

And discovers her foremother’s Indian name: Flipping Bird.

profitsbeard on May 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I got my jobs. I work hard, I’m proud of my work.

In Native American vernacular;

You got jobs, on backs of Cherokee--good for you.
You made money, lots of wampum, big lawwww degree-–good for you.
You have wealthy and large house, big titles, big university–good for you.
You have done it on the backs of Cherokee who were displaced from their land, diseased, slain, and put on forced marches—-as a result of people like you.

Cherokee remembers./

ted c on May 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Perhaps she’s a member of the same Cherokee tribe as Ward Churchill

Tremor on May 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Warren would be more convincing if she dyed her hair black and wore buckskin clothing. A beaded headband would be nice. Then I’d believe her.

jaime on May 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

bury my heart at harvard yard.

mittens on May 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

“Elizabeth Warren: I’m very proud of my Native American heritage that apparently no one can documentThese are not the droids you’re looking for.”

Fixed.

Physics Geek on May 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

joejm65 on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Maybe she and DWS should hook up and create a “waiter sandwich” somewhere.

BobMbx on May 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

“dead wrong encrustations of family myth”

What a great line.

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, BUT doesn’t she have “high” cheekbones? Isn’t that proof enough?

/s

Gunlock Bill on May 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

bury my heart at harvard yard.

mittens on May 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

LOL

Thread winner

Norwegian on May 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Cherokee Name: She Who Loves Chickens..

.. Repeatedly.

Joe Mama on May 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Do I understand that someone would think having such a heritage would be cool? Sure but to think that 1/32nd is something to use politically or to gain favor in job hunting is ludicrous.

Even IF you could prove it.

CW on May 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Maybe it was a composite ancestor.

ThePrez on May 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Lack of evidence is proof that liberal claims are true.

No evidence proves that she is of Cherokee ancestry.

No evidence proves that Romney was a bully in High School.

See how it works.

/s

Gunlock Bill on May 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I’m very proud of my Native American heritage

She’s proud her ancestor drove them on the Trail of Tears?

pedestrian on May 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

joejm65 on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

..shaking Boston Bruin fans’ hands at fenway..oh, wait!

The War Planner on May 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

…(ok…if it’s the wine talking today…I want some!)
I’m highly approving of everything you just said!

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Maybe it was a composite ancestor.

ThePrez on May 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Or, she’s a shameless liar who knew all along that she wasn’t Native-American, but what the hell…who’s going to check?

RBMN on May 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Cherokee Name: She Who Loves Chickens..

..Repeatedly.

Joe Mama on May 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

..ha..ha..ha..ha..ha..ha..I see what you did there.

The War Planner on May 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Well, she fooled Harvard.

I will look forward to hearing it’s “we got had” explanation.

This reminds me a little of the NYT and Jason Blair.

molonlabe28 on May 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Pretend to be IRISH, for Pete’s sake. But noooooooo…

joejm65 on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Unruly bunch of hooligans….

oldroy on May 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Soon in the news: Elizabeth Warren endorses polygamy and bestiality. Oh wait, hasn’t she already?

Archivarix on May 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Hand us all those papers moronette,
we’ll find out for you !
——-

** blows a kiss to BrightBart**

burrata on May 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

There’s a certain “Je ne sais….Ward Churchill” about her.

Resist We Much on May 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Poor Elizabeth.

Don’t you think a Harvard educated Elitist would know better?

Hmm.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

In truth, she isn’t “Harvard educated”. She graduated from Rutgers-Newark. She just fooled Harvard into hiring her with her “Native American” check box on the application.

Bitter Clinger on May 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM

…and this fraud can still get votes into the double digits?
Who are these people?

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Unruly bunch of hooligans….

oldroy on May 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

So sorry. Unruly bunch of drunken hooligans… :)

oldroy on May 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Fraud.

In other words, a Democrat.

KMC1 on May 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I’ll bet she saw “Pocohontas” in the full-price theatre, and sings “Colors of the Wind” in the shower… isn’t that good enough?
/s

Marcola on May 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Because they reverse engineered the whole goddamned thing???

BigWyo on May 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Paging Captain Renault, Captain Renault to the white courtesy phone please…

SWalker on May 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Actually he’s only about 100 miles north of the Bay State and this Faker, taking his dirt nap here in NH.

Del Dolemonte on May 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM

This fake redskin thing is illustrative of damn near any democrat claim.

tom daschle concerned on May 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Is prestigious genealogical society throwing media under the bus on Warren 1/32 Cherokee claim?

I do believe it’s against the law to use fraud to influence the outcome of a United States Senate election.

I think Scott Brown should ask for an investigation into Elizabeth Warren’s campaign was the Childs and the Society contacted by Elizabeth Warren’s campaign? To provide cover for her unsubstantiated claim to Cherokee ancestry?

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Well, she fooled Harvard.

I will look forward to hearing it’s “we got had” explanation.

This reminds me a little of the NYT and Jason Blair.

molonlabe28 on May 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

And it’s remarkably similar to what happened to Harvard a few years ago, when they found out a Senior named Adam Wheeler had not only faked his way into Harvard, but faked his way thru 3 1/2 years of classes.

Hard to see how this latest disgrace can help their “cachet”…

Del Dolemonte on May 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Allah, I know asking rhetorical questions is a useful writin device, but these days with these liberals, it’s just way too unnecessary. We know the answers to all these question because the blatant lack of shame and corrupt soul of the modern lib, just about everything goes without saying

Dongemaharu on May 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

And yet, she’s still tied with Brown in the polls. Sigh.

rcpjr on May 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Occu-mom is fake?
Occu-mom is fake ?
:O

burrata on May 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Hope Warren like-um taste of crow.

(And me not mean the Indian.)

profitsbeard on May 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Heritages are social constructions.

By picking her own heritage, Professor Warren is bravely attempting to overcome the limits of positivism, materialism and determinism, best reflected on the misogyny of Republicans.

You oppressive and privileged peasants don’t understand the struggle of this poor woman, Professor Warren, who, from the Kremlin-upon-Charles, carries the mantle of social emancipation and and its conditions of possibility. Not being limited by something as immaterial as the conventional and dictated by the male-dominated society definition of heritage, Professor Warren self-reflects the cultural evolution made possible by emancipatory knowledge.

How much hate these dang peasants have towards native-Americans and women to impose their authoritarian definition of heritage on this poor woman?

joana on May 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Nice fat lawsuit in the making here.

EMD on May 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Not only is she not a Native American, she has a NEW LIE:

“You know, I’m proud of my Native American heritage,” Warren said. “I’m proud of my family. It’s now the case that people have gone over my college records, my law school records, every job I’ve ever had to see that I got my work. I got my jobs because I do my work. I work hard. I’ve been a good teacher.”

She says she has released all of her records. She has not. She is lying to cover up the first lie.

dogsoldier on May 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Chief Thunderthud say, “Kowabunga, Buffalo Bob”.

Mason on May 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Maybe it was a composite ancestor.

ThePrez on May 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Yeah. If our 2^5 level ancestors were all roughly 1/1024 Cherokee via some sort of genetic equivalence, they’d combine to make us 1/32 Cherokee. Right?

Go back enough generations and the math has to work.

TexasDan on May 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Simple photoshop a birth certificate and post it online. Problem solved. Americans are so easy.

CrazyGene on May 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM

The more Ms Elizabeth Warren spews her razzmatazzz of “working hard for everyone, and being proud of her high cheekbones” the more she turns people off completely !!

What a phoney baloney arrogant liar !

BigSven on May 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM

and sings “Colors of the Wind” in the shower…

Marcola on May 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM

You owe me for mental bleach and lost dinner, dude.

Archivarix on May 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM

joejm65 on May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

As if claiming to be Irish would get her on to the Harvard Faculty. Who would have thought the voters of MA could possibly be more discriminating than Harvard?

And by discriminating, I don’t mean discriminating, discriminating. I mean as in having standards for proof of ancestry.

Never mind. I denounce myself.

Lily on May 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Harvard filed an official EEOC document with the government with Warren listed on it, without verifying her minority status. They are in some legal trouble for that, I would think. Falsifying government documents for a defense contractor is pretty serious business.

dogsoldier on May 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM

You know; because you’re not actually a Native American until a white person of authority can prove there is a piece of paper saying so. are you seriously still pounding this? I got an idea how about we don’t argue about what color people are and discuss the issues of platform.

we had this saying in my tribe back in the day when we met a stranger… “are you family or enemy?” because you only fit into one of the two categories. Which category do you fit into?

Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Obama’s mile-long coattails will drag her across the finish line. Who care if she is a liar! Scott Brown has a nazi is his heritage, probably. Look at him! He’s probably 1/16th oppressive white patriarch and once the ink dries, I have documents to prove it!

/Obamaisalock.com

Mord on May 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

ok…if it’s the wine talking today…I want some!)
I’m highly approving of everything you just said!

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Yes, I sure made an azz out myself a few days ago. Too much whine and not enough class.

Sorry to all I might have offended :o)

/I am sure there are many.

<~~~~slinking to the corner

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I would really like to know what Indians think of being exploited for Elizabeth Warren’s career advancement. Oh my, here it is on Indian Country Today – Thank You Internet Gods.

Elizabeth Warren’s Genealogical Challenge

By ICTMN Staff May 14, 2012

Oh my they have charts and graphs, family tree chart.

They even brought up Walter Ashby Plecker the Virginia Indians boogeyman.

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM

“Elizabeth Warren: I’m very proud of my Native American heritage

…and in other news..
………ABBA announces a reunion tour in honor of their African-American Heritage.

Baxter Greene on May 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Bagdad Warren…”no really I’m Cherokee, it says so on my Jeep, can’t you read? After all, all Jeep Grand Cherokee’s have high bumpers and like feathers. There’s a reason that The People (Cherokee Nation) require actual proof, a name on the Baker or Dawes rolls, a genetic test to see if there is any Native American blood and be enrolled before you are 16 years old to be able to claim to be an officials member of the tribe. There are that many kooks out their claiming to be a Cherokee Princes.

flytier on May 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Actually someone did check and the Cherokee said they did not know her or have any record of her family.

This is a big deal. She’s running for the Senate of the United States and used affirmative action preferences to her advantage. That’s a pretty big deal.

dogsoldier on May 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM

“Elizabeth Warren: I’m very proud of my Native American heritage

…..and in other news..
………ABBA announces a reunion tour in honor of their African-American Heritage.

Baxter Greene on May 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Really? Seriously?

I believe that I am the descendant of Russian royalty. All my cousins say it’s true and my grandmother’s name was Anastasia. When can I claim my dacha in Moscow?

Lily on May 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I keep seeing that scene from that awful Addams Family movie, the second one, where the kids go to camp. And, the Indians in the play go apesh$t on the settlers and they stick an apple in the lead settler’s mouth for lying and attempt to burn her at the stake.
Can that be arranged for White Cloud Lies for Votes?

AllahsNippleHair on May 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I’m betting she hates oil.In re:Catch 22,Chief White Halfoat.

docflash on May 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I’m so anti-political correctness, that I enjoy referring to people from India as Injuns. I don’t say it to their face, but I’ll say it in
front of Lefty hipsters just to see their reaction.

ardenenoch on May 14, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Nice fat lawsuit in the making here.

EMD on May 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Curious on the pleadings. And the venue. Share.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

My great uncle is a descendent to JFK’s nipple hair. I demand a bust of my likeness be placed in the White House now! No, I don’t have a picture or a follicle!!!

AllahsNippleHair on May 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Did Warren really say, in reference to Scott Brown, this is all about “accountability?”

Really?

pain train on May 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM

“I’m very proud of whatever level of Native American heritage I have.”

cthulhu on May 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM

…gawd no!… I enjoyed it!

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Well sometimes I’d like to believe that I’m Donald Trump and since I may have defended Donald Trump, then that means I am Donald Trump……according to your thinking.

JPeterman on May 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM

dogsoldier on May 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM

On another level I enjoy seeing AA destroyed in this way. Let’s hope every single applicant to Hahvahd claims native blood, or black, or tranny, or whatever.

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM

ok…if it’s the wine talking today…I want some!)
I’m highly approving of everything you just said!

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Sorry to all I might have offended :o)

/I am sure there are many.

<~~~~slinking to the corner

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Damn woman, what did you do now? I always enjoyed your posts when I was still a stalker, I mean, lurker. You seem to have lost your happy place. I want my Key West back!

AllahsNippleHair on May 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I’m beginning to think that Elizabeth Warren doesn’t exist.

Pork-Chop on May 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

And in Mass – probably the epicenter of American Moonbat-ism, this will have zero negative effect on her candidacy,especially since the MSM is now burying the story.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

bury my heart at harvard yard.

mittens on May 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

LOL

Thread winner

Norwegian on May 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

✰✰✰

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM

…gawd no!… I enjoyed it!

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM

OK, seriously how bad was it?

I know it was bad because I woke up late at 04:15 with the russian army marching around my mouth with shit on their shoes.

/Forgive me . I think I was posting to cold warrior, that’s the last I recall. Now I’m on strictly water. With lemon.

Seriously. I got drunkdeded on a thread! Sry.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM

You people look so desperate… No one here has called the Cherokee Nation to ask them? See they keep track and will freely tell you that many Natives did not sign on to the Dawes Rolls because they understandably believed it was a kill list. Those people who did not sign on, do not get citizenship like I have… But they are still free to claim their rightful ancestry and who is anyone to take away someone’s self perspective. If she believes she’s Native and she defends the idea of being Native, then she is Native.Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

YES the Cherokee Nation has weighed in on the issue.

S

o it would seem that Warren’s Cherokee ancestry is based on family stories, which oral history does carry some weight in genealogical circles. Many people do have stories about Native American ancestors, but could Warren become an enrolled Cherokee citizen based on them? No, she could not.

According to Lenzy Krehbiel-Burton, deputy executive director for Cherokee Nation Communications, even if that marriage license said O.C. Sarah Smith was Cherokee, it alone would be insufficient. Warren would have to have an ancestor on the Dawes Rolls and then show state-certified documentation, like birth or death certificates, that she is related to that person, to be eligible for citizenship. Though Krehbiel-Burton admits, people are missed who should be citizens.

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

You should warn people when you’re going to make hilarious jokes, I almost spit water on my keyboard.

Platform is the last thing Warren wants to campaign on. Her only major platform points are national LGBT marriage equality (dubious popularity) and massive tax increases on everyone – not just the rich (extremely unpopular). Until she found herself in hot water for exploiting the Affirmative Action system at Harvard she was constantly sniping at Scott Brown on a personal level, trying to keep the focus away from platform.

Quantus on May 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM

jaime on May 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

And she did not even show up at any of the annual Harvard Native American festivals.

***************

It would be appropriate for her to end up like Ward Churchill, out of a job. But no one at Harvard will ever admit that her claim of Native American heritage got her the job at Harvard Law School.

slp on May 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM