Breitbart.com: Document supporting Elizabeth Warren’s ancestry claim doesn’t exist

posted at 6:13 pm on May 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

The exciting conclusion to the Case of the Missing Marriage Application. Remember, after a bit of sleuthing, Michael Patrick Leahy determined that the whole 1/32 claim came down to an 1894 marriage application that had supposedly been unearthed by an amateur genealogist but which no one else had actually seen. Leahy couldn’t reach that genealogist on Friday; today, he did. Mystery solved:

Lynda Smith, the amateur genealogist who unknowingly found herself at the root of the false “Elizabeth Warren is 1/32 Cherokee” meme introduced to the media by “noted” genealogist Chris Child of the New England Historic Genealogical Society, acknowledged in an email to me this past Saturday, May 12, that her statement in a March 2006 family newsletter upon which Mr. Child based his claim of Ms. Warren’s Cherokee ancestry was made with no supporting documentation. It was, in fact, an honest mistake that Ms. Smith now acknowledges is entirely without foundation…

According to Ms. Smith:

“I am rather embarrassed about this posting of mine [on rootsweb about William J. Crawford], especially since it seems to be of some importance…. I’ve been through all papers in my Crawford file and I didn’t find who sent that Cherokee reference to me…”

Read the whole thing for an explanation of Smith’s mistake. The obvious question: Why did the professional genealogist who confirmed Warren’s ancestry for the Boston Herald rely on an amateur’s research instead of demanding to see the original documents? Investigative reporter and genealogist Thomas Lipscomb was wondering that too and sent this e-mail to Powerline:

No reputable genealogist or genealogical organization would ever use a family newsletter by an amateur genealogist as the basis for an opinion. They require direct documentation from a certified copy of a birth or marriage certificate or some other objective evidence. While family newsletters, or family web postings may provide a useful tip as to where the real documentation may be, they are just as likely to be dead wrong encrustations of family myth that may or may not be true, but can’t be proven.

While family members may find these myths of interest, professionals like the New England Historic Genealogical Society and Christopher Child, or the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, where I have served on the Heraldry Committee, will not accept them as documentation for any kind of genealogical claim. And they certainly won’t take a chance of embarrassing themselves professionally by making a public statement on the basis of flimsy evidence they regard as little more than rumor.

Read all of that too. But wait — you’re not done reading yet. One last piece is William Jacobson’s new post chronicling his e-mail exchange with the New England Historic Genealogical Society and the curious appearance in his comments of someone who’s very interested in spinning what the NEHGS originally told the Herald. Did they really confirm that Warren is Native American, or did they merely confirm that she had an ancestor by the name of O.C. Sarah Smith whom others were claiming was Native American? Spintastic.

Via the Daily Caller, here’s Warren standing by her claim even as Scott Brown’s campaign insists that there’s nothing left of her minority status. Alternate headline: “Elizabeth Warren: I’m very proud of my Native American heritage that apparently no one can document.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nice fat lawsuit in the making here.

EMD on May 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Curious on the pleadings. And the venue. Share.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:14 PM

The genealogical society and there resident genealogist Chris Childs claimed that Elizabeth Warren had Cherokee ancestry with no proof. Were they perpetrating a fraud to influence A United States Senate Race? Scott Brown is a lawyer, I am guessing he knows other lawyers. Surely Mitt Romney who was governor of Massachusetts knows some lawyers in Massachusetts, they should insist on an investigation.

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I bet her ancestors also waved at the Pilgrims as they approached shore.

SouthernGent on May 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Is she part of a super minority gay Cherokee?

Bmore on May 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

You know; because you’re not actually a Native American until a white person of authority can prove there is a piece of paper saying so. are you seriously still pounding this? I got an idea how about we don’t argue about what color people are and discuss the issues of platform.

Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

That’s not the topic, and people have been banned for not staying on topic, you know just like Lib4Life.

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I think the point was to corner Obama.

On what pretense did he enter Harvard? And how?

/Pardon the pun

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

O/T for Rush fans, as our home is. This is why Rush wasn’t on the show today! Boy, oh boy the d’s are ALL bent out of shape on this!
bho probably thinks he needs his ‘bust’ in MO, not the enemy #1 of bho/team?

L

letget on May 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

And in Mass – probably the epicenter of American Moonbat-ism, this will have zero negative effect on her candidacy,especially since the MSM is now burying the story.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

The Boston Newspapers aren’t burying this story.

Elizabeth Warren is after Scott Brown’s campaign donor JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon’s scalp.

Elizabeth Warren is Cherokee for “in over her head”

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Is she part of a super minority gay Cherokee?

Bmore on May 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I think she was and is nothing more than an opportunist, cloaked in the robes of higher education.

/get that? Obama attended HIGHER education and was admitted. For whatever that’s worth.

Watch Glenn Reynolds. He’s been pounding this drum for a very long time.

Question: “What happens when the Higher Education Bubble” is burst?

/Chaos

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Question: “What happens when the Higher Education Bubble” is burst?

/Chaos

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Oh, and Elizabeth Warren was the person to burst it.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:43 PM

“wall street”. “working families”. “wall street”. “working families”. “wall street”. “working families”.”wall street”. “working families”.”wall street”. “working families”.

sbvft contributor on May 14, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I think the point was to corner Obama.

On what pretense did he enter Harvard? And how?

/Pardon the pun

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Yep there was something going on at Harvard. Elizabeth Warren, Derrick Bell and Barack Obama.

Bell’s dead, dead men tell no tales, but Betty Warren is still around but she’s not looking too good. What do you think is there a likeness?

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:44 PM

BELL’S HARVARD PROTESTS MAY HAVE LED TO ELIZABETH WARREN HIRE

Harvard was in a bind and they need to come up with a diversity hire fast and in a hurry.

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Since we’re talking liberals here, why don’t we just “deem” that the certificate exists?

GarandFan on May 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Triple dog double dare: Re-post the Michelle Obama sit in pic.

It’s been scrubbed.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Is her real name Julia?

onlineanalyst on May 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

GarandFan on May 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Will you, or can you, ever forget that Christmas Eve night? When they “deemed it passed”?

/yeah, me either. I have elderly parents.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I think the point was to corner Obama.

On what pretense did he enter Harvard? And how?

/Pardon the pun

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I think it was answered by Al Mansoor long time ago…but did anyone listen ?
Noooo…

burrata on May 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

burrata on May 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Nah, it goes back to the House of Saud. But hey.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

You people look so desperate… No one here has called the Cherokee Nation to ask them? See they keep track and will freely tell you that many Natives did not sign on to the Dawes Rolls because they understandably believed it was a kill list. Those people who did not sign on, do not get citizenship like I have… But they are still free to claim their rightful ancestry and who is anyone to take away someone’s self perspective. If she believes she’s Native and she defends the idea of being Native, then she is Native.
Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

1. It’s impolite to refer to those with whom you are trying to have a conversation as you people.
2. Your stated standard If she believes she’s Native and she defends the idea of being Native, then she is Native. is no standard at all. This would be like claiming the ability to throw a 100mph fast ball. No proof? No fast ball.

massrighty on May 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Friends.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Nah, it goes back to the House of Saud. But hey.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Oh yeah, the house of sauds,
the rich oil billionaires who throw their money around to help Christians around the world….

burrata on May 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Triple dog double dare: Re-post the Michelle Obama sit in pic.

It’s been scrubbed.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Oh we have 175 days to go and you know somebodies got a copy of that photo saved :) Mitt Romney’s Dad George Romney was part of the Nixon administration. Those folks were known for a certain kind of campaign practice. Google David Weigel and “ratf*cking tactics”

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Why don’t we get drunk and screw?

Answer.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Elizabeth Warren says this all is just a Tempest in a TeePee.

Conservalicious on May 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

After this fraud she should be Siouxed. Maybe that would confer tribal status to her.

Flange on May 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Democrats do not care about liars, they hate people who tell the truth! The truth and an educated electorate is the progressives true enemy. In most places she would have been toast already, in MA, she is still in the race and being protected by the MSM.

bluemarlin on May 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Elizabeth Warren “I got my jobs because I do my work. I work hard.”

Elizabeth Warren “But first I lied about my minority status so I could fill a diversity hire position at an Ivy League college – So Sioux Me” LOL!

Dr Evil on May 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Ad for Brown:

Run the video clip then cut to the TV audience, a real Cherokee in a dilapidated trailer. A big tear runs down his cheek. Narration: “Elizabeth ‘Spreading Bull’ Warren lied about her ethnic background to get a teaching job at Harvard. Now she’s lying to the voters of Massachusetts to get into the United States Senate. Let’s send her a smoke signal on November 4.”

spiritof61 on May 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Cute!

Till he crashed into a tree and all that shit.

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Sonny Bono was a foo

/And, no I didn’t forget the “L”

Key West Reader on May 14, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Princess-sits-on-thumb-and-spins speaks hokum.

Tim_CA on May 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM

“Elizabeth Warren: I’m very proud of my Native American heritage that apparently no one can document does not exist anywhere except my imagination.”

Fixed.

As for Warren’s so-called scholarship, it’s lousy. She is nothing but a partisan hack. Back before Obamacare passed, when the libs were arguing that uninsured medical costs were bankrupting middle-class Americans, Warren authored a study that concluded that most U.S. personal bankruptcies are due to medical bills. Lots of MSM headlines followed about how sick and injured Americans were literally being bankrupted by healthcare costs. But Warren’s study was full of ludicrous assumptions. For example, if a debtor in bankruptcy listed even one unpaid medical bill, Warren concluded that the bankruptcy was caused by the illness or injury for which the debtor was billed, regardless of the size of the medical bill or the size of the debtor’s income. So if a man making $500,000 a year in income listed a $100 unpaid medical bill in his bankruptcy, that was deemed to be the cause of the bankruptcy (nevermind those $4 million in gambling debts, or the $185,000 in credit card debts he’d also listed).

Warren’s a fraud, in more ways than one.

AZCoyote on May 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Here’s an article that describes some of the other many flaws in Warren’s typical “scholarship.”

But remember, her claim to be a Native American woman had absolutely nothing to do with why [desperate for diversity professors] Harvard Law hired her. It was purely the quality of her scholarship . . . . ;)

AZCoyote on May 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

You can’t be serious.

According your theory I can claim to be African American on any application I want even though it’s obvious when you look at me that I’m not. I believe in many cases that would constitute fraud.

Try again.

goflyers on May 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Is she lesbian? The 20% minority is ruling the 80% majority and it’s by design. The 20% go straight for politics and practice union exclusivity that keeps doctrine pure.

pc on May 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I think you were breastfed far too late in life.

CW on May 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

It’s time to enact the “Warren Rule” for everyone everywhere: Simply…anyone who believes he (or she) is at least 1/32 part of any group favored by affirmative action laws will be entitled to all the benefits of affirmative action. EVERYONE will therefore be a minority.

grgeil on May 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Kaptain Amerika on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Hey..check this out..
I believe she’s from Uranus!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Is she lesbian? The 20%
minority is ruling the 80% 96% majority and it’s by design. The 20% go straight for politics and practice union exclusivity that keeps doctrine pure.
pc on May 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM

FIFY!

I’ve been gone for a few days,

Cyncook, good to see you back!
Has Canopfor surfaced yet?

herm2416 on May 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Ah, geez, fix my math for me! S/B 3/97!
Putting away the fine red RIGHT NOW!

herm2416 on May 14, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Princess Cheeky Bull found $24 worth of beads in a family cedar chest with a tag marked “Manhattan”.

profitsbeard on May 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM

“I got my jobs because I do my work. I work hard.”

Sounds like someone has learned a bit about the soft bigotry of low expectations. One can see the frustration of the millions of successful minorities who constantly have to defend their achievements due to the affirmative action cloud of suspicion that looms overhead.

The absurdity known as affirmative action has reached a point where we have two options:

1) ditch it completely and have one standard for every American (I know this is difficult for you progressives to wrap your empty heads around).

2) implement some sort of equivalent to German Blood Declarations so that mischlings like Warren no longer have to rely on their high cheek bones to get the leg up they so obviously deserve.

One Standard for Every American

stout77 on May 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM

There is not a demotard in office who has ever WORKED a day in his or her life. Look it up.

MikeinPRCA on May 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM

But wait…she does kind of look like Ward Churchill, or is it just me?

MikeinPRCA on May 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

But wait…she does kind of look like Ward Churchill, or is it just me?

MikeinPRCA on May 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

It’s the faux-native hairstyle, probably drawn from from watching old Indian War movies. Are there braids in the back?

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Ruhroh

MeatHeadinCA on May 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

“I got my jobs because I do my work. I work hard.”

Liar. That is not how Affirmative Action works. That is exactly the system that Affirmative Action suppresses in favor of privileges for “special” people like you.

David Blue on May 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM

She said she got her job because she works hard??? I think the Cherokee claim is more believable than a hard-working Democrat.

jeffn21 on May 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I knew Pocahontas; She was a kimosabe of mine; Lizzie, you’re no squaw!

racquetballer on May 15, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Has Elizabeth Warren dropped out of the race yet??

Oh yeah, you have to have ‘shame’ in your feeling closet…

Khun Joe on May 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I am a native American just like all the other Americans who were born in America. The only real America, The United States of America.

Observation on May 15, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Has Elizabeth Warren dropped out of the race yet??

Oh yeah, you have to have ‘shame’ in your feeling closet…

Khun Joe on May 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM

She has the benefit of running in one of the few states where lies and deceptions are resume enhancers.

Extrafishy on May 15, 2012 at 6:21 AM

I think its more likely that she has Kennedy blood than any Cherokee blood.

After all, she’s got the “lie through my stinking teeth and totally amoral lust for power” part down pat.

VelvetElvis on May 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I saw a comment from her not long ago where she said she listed herself as a Native American so that she could reach out to more people…sorta like Bill clinton claimed to be the ’1st (real) African American President’. What Warren means is that she believes it is ok to lie in order to try to get more votes. this woman isn’t even in office yet, and she is already lying and attempting to manipulate the people she is supposed to (if elected) serve. Voters need to send her, Liberals, & any other politician a stern message by refusing to vote for her at all. Not only does she need to lose, but she needs to be humiliated with the least amount of votes possible in her favor. We have enough self/party-serving, ;ying, manipulating charlatans in office. That’s the problem! Along with reducing the debt, we need to reduce the number of people like HER in Washington!

easyt65 on May 15, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Is she part of a super minority gay Cherokee?

Bmore on May 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

She’s an undocumented Cherokee.

TugboatPhil on May 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Nobody at a previous hire, including Harvard is complaining because they got HUGE chunks of money for hiring an “indian”. If she is a fraud and they knew it, they could be forced to repay all the money and be penalized. I’m sure they did not care one bit whether she was or wasn’t (they may have even encouraged her to claim it) as long as they filled the quota and got the bucks.

Redglen on May 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM

And yet we are supposed to assume that Obama was born in the US based on a newspaper item and the word of an Obama ally.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Has Elizabeth Warren dropped out of the race yet??

Oh yeah, you have to have ‘shame’ in your feeling closet…

Khun Joe on May 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM

This is not the make/break issue of the Senate race but it goes to character. Warren must be hating life that this thing hasn’t gone away after her claim she just wanted to make friends. She is going to need them!

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

UnWarreNted.

Sherman1864 on May 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM

So far, verified documentation of 0bama’s past doesn’t exist, either.

cane_loader on May 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Heh.

Warren just got Swift-TeePeed

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on May 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Where are the trolls.

derecho on May 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I’m quite sure this Lynda Smith, much like the governor of Hawaii in another…um…mildly controversial document authenticity dispute, had no political motivation for her ‘mistake’.

Knott Buyinit on May 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Knott Buyinit on May 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

No she’s just a family historian, who puts out a family newsletter. The newsletter in question was published in 2006, she couldn’t know Christopher Childs was going to use it as a false beard for Elizabeth Warren’s minority status claim from the 1980s and 1990s. Lynda Smith can’t help it if a supposedly legitimate Genealogical Society, and their Professional Genealogist don’t keep Genealogical Standards. Lydna Smith’s rootsweb page hasn’t been updated since May of 2011. She can’t help it if Christopher Childs, of the New England Genealogical Society decided to use a family tree on the internet as his proof of Elizabeth Warren’s supposed Cherokee ancestry. That’s not how professional genealogist or genealogical societies operate.

If I was Scott Brown I would be calling for an investigation, into any collusion with the Warren campaign or questions of fraud by the Genealogical Society and it’s Genealogist Christopher Childs. Were they intentionally trying to influence the outcome of the Massachusetts Senate Race by publishing non sourced information that turned out to be untrue? A professional genealogist understands the rules perfectly well – they can’t feign ignorance.

Dr Evil on May 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Remember the joke: Lone Ranger and Tonto completely surrounded by Indian War Party. The Lone Ranger says’ there’s no way to escape and there are 500 of them. What do we do now, Tonto?” Tonto says” what to you mean ‘we’ white man?” Warren is behaving like Tonto…

dahni on May 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Ms Smith has now admitted on Townhall.com that she has no evidence of any (misspelled) marriage license from OK.

So why are MULTIPLE comments still on rootsweb and world connect?

Here’s some from LSSMITH with a HOTMAIL.COM email address right in the open literature.
Entries: 28769 Updated: 2011-05-03 20:39:10 UTC (Tue)
Contact: Lynda

dated: 2011-MAY-03 UPDATED??? For the MSM?

When Neoma’s son William J. Crawford married his wife Mary Long inOklahoma, he stated on his marriage application that his parents wereJonathan Houston Crawford and O.C. Sarah Smith and that his mother wasCherokee Indian.

William J Crawford stated on his marriage lisence application when hemarried Mary E. Long that his father was Jonathon H. Crawford and hismother was O.C. Sarah Smith. He also said that his mother wasCherokee Indian.

Rhodia told her family that there was Indian blood in the Crawfordfamily. (E-mail message from Robert Boraker:robert.boraker@britishlibrary.com)
Mrs. Lon Harris (Iredell) wrote a letter to Gail Niskern in 1959saying that there was Cherokee Indian blood in her grandmother’s line.She was referring to Rhodia Crawford Cook and she thought the Indianblood came from either the Crawfords or the Smiths.

Did you notice all the poor grammar spaces and misspeeelleddd words from this genealogist? Her writing speaks for itself, like a teleprompter does. There is no written proof of an Indian connection and never was any.

Stefan

stefanslaw on May 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Sh’e fibbing big time now.
Harvard doesn’t hire (non-minority) faculty from Rutgers.

krome on May 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Elizabeth just said to CNN,

“You know, I’m proud of my Native American heritage.”

Okay. The natural follow-up question is, well . . . “How proud?”

Proud enough to have any mention of it whatsoever on her campaign website?

Nope.

Check it out . . . here is the “ABOUT ELIZABETH” page. Not one word.

Here is the “NEWS” page. Not one of her press releases, nor any of the linked news articles even touch on the topic. Not one.

If you check her “ISSUES” page, there is nothing there on her claimed Native American heritage. Mum’s the word!

And finally, even if you check on her FaceBook page, you will find nothing. Surely you would think there would be something there about a heritage, one in which she claims to take such pride.

Well guess again!

So, in conclusion, a little ditty for Liz:

“I love my ancestry,” sez she.
If only the facts would agree!
High cheeky worked then,
Back at Harvard and Penn,
But outed . . . a faux family tree.

Trochilus on May 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Once again another liberal steps forward and reiforces liberalism is a progressive mental disorder. The truth to a liberal is not what the truth is, but what they want the truth to be. Just another babbling fool liberal being exposed which means she will be elected by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to lead them to the “light”.

volsense on May 15, 2012 at 7:51 PM

All of you using examples of claims of royalty or wealth… what benefit is she gaining? sympathy? affirmative action in Congress? I’m sorry but affirmative action has nothing to do with public office. Just admit it… You hate her because she’s a liberal and you choose to attack for any possible reason.

Kaptain Amerika on September 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM