Quotes of the day

posted at 9:01 pm on May 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

A top Democrat on Sunday defended Mitt Romney’s character, saying that despite recent reports that Romney was a bully as a young man attending prep school, he believes that has little to do with the man Romney is today.

“There’s not a single thing that I know about Mitt Romney in his adult life which suggests this kind of discrimination or this kind of prejudice. And so I don’t believe it was a telling moment in terms of who he is today,” Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said on CNN’s State of the Union.

***

“When you see somebody who is simply different taken down that way and is terrified and you see that look in their eye you never forget it. And that was what we all walked away with,” Phillip Maxwell said.

In what now appears to have become a debate within their own family, Peter Maxwell said his brother, with whom he speaks with frequently, has a tendency to “expound on things.”

“He kind of gets into the emotions of a situation or a moment in time and loves to expound on things,” Peter Maxwell said of his brother. “I’m not necessarily saying exaggerate, but wants to take things to a higher level and he made a comment the other day, ‘Oh God, today they would consider that almost assault and battery.’ And I said, ‘You sound like a prosecutor in Northern Michigan.’ … I said, ‘Come on, ‘What really was it?’ And he said, ‘The kid had long hair and it wasn’t really what people were into at the time.’ And I said, ‘Let’s kind of look at it that way. Let’s not make it a national media event for an incident that happened in 1965.’”

***

“Who sent the e-mail?” I asked Wright.

“It was from one of Barack’s closest friends.”

“He offered you money?”

“Not directly,” Wright said. “He sent the offer to one of the members of the church, who sent it to me.”

“How much money did he offer you?”

“One hundred and fifty thousand dollars,” Wright said.

***

Making Americans feel uncomfortable with Romney, in other words, won’t be enough if the economy keeps sputtering along. What Obama needs, instead, is to make voters fear a Romney presidency, even more than they fear four more years of high deficits and slow growth. And a re-election campaign that focuses on gay marriage, or the Dream Act, or birth control, or how Romney treated his dog and high school classmates is unlikely to stoke that kind of fear.

What might? Well, in a pocketbook election it helps to focus on pocketbook anxieties. It’s true that every day the White House spends talking about social issues is a day it isn’t stuck talking about the economy. But it’s also a day when it hasn’t talked about how Mitt Romney wants to take away your retirement security to pay for tax cuts for the rich.

This is a predictable Democratic argument, and a demagogic one. But it’s an argument that might actually make economically stressed Americans afraid of what a Romney presidency would bring.

***

The attack on Mr. VanderSloot is also notable for its focus on his wife’s contribution to the anti-gay-marriage cause. Gay-marriage activists are winning the debate in much of the country, but as they do they are becoming more intolerant.

After California voters approved Proposition 8 banning same-sex marriage in 2008, opponents published the names of donors, who were later linked with zip codes and Google Maps. Donors reported getting death threats. Boycotts were set against businesses, and activists encouraged customers to call and harass business owners. Among the activists’ arguments for why Mr. VanderSloot is antigay is that his wife donated to the campaign for Proposition 8…

Democrats and their left-wing allies should understand that Republicans and Mormons will not be the only targets. If Democrats think it is “legitimate” to prowl and publish the divorce records of Romney donors, no one should feign shock if some right-wing investigator is soon doing the same to Mr. Obama’s bundlers and super PAC donors. A President who claims to want “civility” in political discourse will reap what he sows if he plays by Nixonian rules.

***

Via CBN News/The Brody File.

***

Via the Daily Caller.

***

The following is a statement from Frank VanderSloot:

Extreme, far left blog sites have recently chosen to hammer Melaleuca and me personally because I had the audacity to support a conservative candidate for President of the United States. They chose to misconstrue the facts and post false and damaging data about us, and then criticized us for asking these sites to take down the false information. For those who are interested in the truth about us, we provide the following facts addressing the accusations…

In the case of any company, many livelihoods are at stake. Melaleuca employs over 3,000 people worldwide. And thousands more rely on us to send them a check in support of their independent businesses each month. Damage to Melaleuca results in damage to their lives also. When we defend our company, we are also defending them and their income. We agree that we need to do that fairly and responsibly. But it is simply unfair to accuse us of bullying people into submission.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Teasing is only bullying if it’s done by right-wingers. Don’t you follow the news?

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM

So that means if when the left does it, its gay. Got it, that makes sense now.

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

You have blonde hair. I pictured you with dark brown hair. ; )

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Actually, I was b8ll-shitting. It is a pleasant blend of reddish-brown and gray. I’m sort of a roan. :D

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

So that means if when the left does it, its gay. Got it, that makes sense now.

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

You’re a fast learner. Took me forever to figure that out.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

At your age you should have some white mixed in. I still haven’t got any. Well maybe one or two. The Miss’s just corrected me.

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

POTUS Romney would also mandate that all dogs and children need to be transported in pet carriers on the roofs of cars.

PBHO Forever

Bishop on May 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

A ping-pong paddle with green electrical tape…fully wrapped.

Thanks teacher….may I have another?

Twice was all that I needed..

Electrongod on May 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM

That was me in public junior high school. They my parents sent me to an all-boys Catholic high school and I discovered how wimpy public school was.

bw222 on May 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Lol.
Me too, bw.
Fell asleep in Fr. W’s class one day. (Pre-calc after lunch, warm April day.) Fr. W was 6’6″ and served in WWII. He kindly woke me up with a vigorous shoulder massage using his ham-sized hands.

Didn’t fall asleep again (in that class, at least).

RedCrow on May 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Be careful folks Turbin Durbin will betray you!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

So predator, I be on the likely should have won by the numbers, hoping for a triple crown. I got nothing. No triple this time round?

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

…Peter Maxwell said his brother, with whom he speaks with frequently…

You see how unnatural for an English-speaker it is to say “with whom”? It does not make anyone sound smarter.

Tzetzes on May 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

“It was from one of Barack’s closest friends.”
And where is the follow up? Who was “one of Barack’s closest friends” that sent the email.

onlineanalyst on May 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Anyone’s guess?

MontanaMmmm on May 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Julia

RickB on May 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

PBHO Forever

Bishop on May 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I thought it was, PBHO Forward! WTF!, yet another pivot.

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Who ever saw a “tolerant activist”?

RedCrow on May 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Heh-heh. White, gray, silver, it’s all the same.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Bmore, here he is

Quite awesome as well.

arnold ziffel on May 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

And Palinoia will destroy ya.

Lanceman on May 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

arnold

More like this I think.

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Arnold the photo down about middle of the page. What predator enjoys more than horses/ ; )

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM

“How much money did he offer you?”

“One hundred and fifty thousand dollars,” Wright said.

O_O..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM

O_O..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM

He should of taken it. Sure he would still look like an a$$hole, but he’d have the $.

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

More like this I think.

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

That is awesome. Bmore, you make me strive to put extra effort into my posts. I mean that sincerely. You make us all think.
Now, did your teachers ever smack you around or were you always Mr. Personality? :)

arnold ziffel on May 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I’ll Have Another has Forty Niner in the top half of his pedigree. He won the Derby, The Travers, and the BC Classic, all at 1 1/4 miles.

His dam side has Pleasant Colony, who won both the Derby and the Preakness. He has a shot at it until he loses. The breeding is there. It’s now a matter of talent…and some luck. I’d love to see it. This year’s crop of three-year-olds is very competitive, which is good. It also makes his task tougher. But it’s the Triple Crown, it should be tough.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM

As a kid, I was bullied and bullied others.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I had two older brothers. Suffice it to say no one in my age group scared me.

John the Libertarian on May 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

arnold, a bit of both, I’ll spare everyone the details.

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM

The Korean Wolves, yes. Well a Lobo must do what he can to continue the species.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM

predator Yeah, no doubt, isn’t the last Belmont 1 1/2? Will that late speed hold?

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

His trainer has kind of a spotty past.

a capella on May 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Dire Straits QOTD song. I think I may have posted this before but not as a QOTD song. Sunday. And because its Mothers Day. Mine is 92 soon to be 93!

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

John the Libertarian on May 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I hear you..I had an older brother also!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM

The Belmont can be a tricky race. Everybody thinks it’s a “closers race” because it’s 1 1/2 miles. But pace makes the race, regardless of distance. That race can be won on or near the lead if the pace is slow enough. Da’ Tara and Commendable both stole this race by setting very slow fractions on the lead when there was no other speed in the race. And then of course there was Secretariat, who did not go slow early, but then he was Secretariat.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM

JPeterman on May 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I wonder how Obama will play this….other than using it as an excuse for his failures, I mean.

a capella on May 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

His trainer has kind of a spotty past.

a capella on May 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Yep. He’s been accused of some shady practices in the past. I don’t like that stuff. I feel the same way about Rick Dutrow. But as long as the NTRA and the Jockey Club let him go, his horses have to be considered. He’s been accused of “milkshakes” and other practices. I’d like to see the horse do it, but there are other trainers I would prefer to get the honor.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Secretariat.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM

HeII of a race that one. ; ) They run the fast pace of Church Hill and I’m not so sure the end kick will be there. Could be wrong. Not that that ever is the case.///////

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM

But it’s the Triple Crown, it should be tough.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I agree..IMHO I just don’t see it happening this year!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM

a capella on May 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Hard to say, we’re too busy talking about same sex marriage and something that Romney did 47 years ago, all the while Greece burns.

Euro Officials Begin to Weigh Greek Exit

JPeterman on May 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I agree..IMHO I just don’t see it happening this year!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I’m with you Dire, the odds have got to be slim to none. But it is horse racing. ; )

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I agree..IMHO I just don’t see it happening this year!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I don’t either. But I would still love to see it. It’s been too long. Even if it is Doug O’Neill.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Sarah Palin is the most bullied person in recent history. All the bullying was done by opponents of bullying.

Grunt on May 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Secretariat.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM

The movie was fairly good, too. Diane Lane is a babe.

John the Libertarian on May 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I agree..IMHO I just don’t see it happening this year!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM

The biggest obstacle he will face if he wins The Preakness will be the fact that Dullahan awaits him in The Belmont. They passed on The Preakness for that very reason. If there is even a hint of early speed in The Belmont, Dullahan will be flying late. He reminds me a lot of Victory Gallop.

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Diane Lane is a babe.

John the Libertarian on May 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM

*looks nervously around*..Yes she is!!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM

predator on May 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Good points..I would love to see a Triple Crown winner again..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM

bw222 on May 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM

The nun who was the principal of the Catholic elementary school I attended had a couple ping pong paddles taped together that she used. When I was in second grade, two boys in my class who committed some infraction or other were made to lean over a desk in the front of our classroom and Sister whaled away with three or four good smacks for each of them. We just stared at the chalkboard or the floor and tried not to look at our classmates, who managed to keep stiff upper lips throughout. But yeah, there was nothing like that in the public schools I later attended.

PatriotGal2257 on May 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM

there was nothing like that in the public schools I later attended.

PatriotGal2257 on May 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Like bw, I went to public school for elementary and middle school, then to Catholic school for 9th-12th.

Not only was there more discipline, but I found that I was a bit behind in English grammar and literature. (Math and science were okay.) It made for a helluva 9th grade year.

RedCrow on May 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM

PatriotGal2257 on May 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM
RedCrow on May 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Also, meant to say that you must have had an easy time in high school, academically.

RedCrow on May 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I have an early call time.

Good Night All.

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Night B, and thanks for tryin’ to civilize us.

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Nice tune..:)

Dire Straits on May 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM

…Peter Maxwell said his brother, with whom he speaks with frequently…

Tzetzes on May 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

The word whom isn’t the problem in that sentence. The sentence is incorrect/sounds unnatural because the writer mistakenly uses the preposition “with” twice to describe the relationship with the same object (“whom”). The writer should have only used “with” once, either before or after “whom,” not before and after “whom.” The sentence should read:

Peter Maxwell said his brother, with whom he speaks frequently . . .

Alternatively, it would have been acceptable had the sentence read:

Peter Maxwell said his brother, whom he speaks with frequently . . .

Although many believe (as I do) that a prepositional phrase sounds better (and is more correct for formal writing) when the preposition starts the phrase, not ends it (hence the “don’t end your sentence with a preposition” rule).

Thus ends my little pedantic post for the day.

Dark Star on May 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM

*My little pedantic post should have began:

The wordphrase “with whom” isn’t the problem in that sentence.

Dark Star on May 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Thus ends my little pedantic post for the day.

Dark Star on May 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Lol.

You are correct. But, I’m sure you’re aware of the lowered standards for English grammar these days. I read recently that ending sentences with prepositions is no longer considered (simply) wrong.

PS–Regarding the sentence that you were correcting: I would bet that a lack of editing was the chief problem. No one read the piece with any care before it went to print. Hard to believe.

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Enough chit-chat.

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Since no one will report this tomorrow,
or ever,
because Obama will be campaigning and handing out free birth control at a womyn’s gaggle-fest,

Heeding the journalistic adage to “follow the money,” the Washington Post has found that every one out of six of President Obama’s top fundraising “bundlers” who have hauled in $500,000 or more publicly identify themselves as gay.

Fabulous !!

burrata on May 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM

And because its Mothers Day. Mine is 92 soon to be 93!

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I wish your Mother a happy Mother’s Day!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Fabulous !!

burrata on May 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Anyone remember this?

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM

fogw on May 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Has sons that actually look like him.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2012 at 12:46 AM

RedCrow on May 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM

For the most part, my experience was like yours, only earlier. I did fine academically when I first attended public school, but then I encountered the sixth grade. It was a complete waste of a year, and I remember my parents being angry that we were not really learning much of anything beyond trying to play the teacher for favors — they weren’t the only ones who were mad about it. Apparently, my teacher had a rep of being a bored, lazy lifer who pretty much fit the caricature of the public school teacher who did the bare minimum, got barely passing ratings, but the administration couldn’t get rid of him because of his tenure. It made my transition to junior high and the 7th grade harder than it needed to be. In addition to that, my school district decided in that year to jump on the fad bandwagon and introduce “New English” and “New Math,” which seemed to me to be totally antithetical to the standard rules of sentence structure or working math problems that I had learned from the nuns. Needless to say, I was totally lost, and it was only with a hell of a lot of study and help from my mom that I managed to right my academic ship. Those particular educational fads must not have gone over very well with the rest of the school either, because by the time I got to my freshman year of high school, they were gone and were replaced by the traditional methods of teaching English and math. I generally have very good memories of being in school, as long as I leave out the 6th through 8th grades. :)

PatriotGal2257 on May 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Needless to say, I was totally lost, and it was only with a hell of a lot of study and help from my mom PatriotGal2257 on May 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Thank God for Moms!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I am just sick about the Left’s tactics and I hate to think they have to be replicated to stay on an even playing field. What is wrong with these people and their quest for power. It’s not suppose to be like that here.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Truly sad!..:(

Dire Straits on May 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM

PatriotGal2257 on May 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM

You’ve got to wonder whether the “New English” and “New Math” weren’t shortcuts for the lazy teachers you encountered in public school.

Do you remember, not too long ago, that public schools were emphasizing method rather than correct answers in mathematics? Method is great, but getting the right answer at the end was down-graded. Future rocket builders?

I know some teachers (good ones), and whenever I talk about this topic they always get upset, and are adamantly opposed to the idea that US public schools suck eggs. But, then, the whole world is going to hell, and so why should anyone bother?

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I agree, The Won didn’t seem to be winning to me either.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I can’t stay up but my contribution to the nights music is in honor of Donald (Duck) Dunn the bass player for Booker T & the MGs, who passed away.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Anyone remember this?

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Thanks for the laugh. I miss that show.

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Well. What’s different, Cindy. This has been going on for years (decades, really). It really is the “shortview” that they embrace(?).

I’m not sure if it’s treason, hatred of America, or what, but they are slowly breaking down the USA.

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Sorry I missed you, Cindy. I hope you had a beautiful Mother’s Day.

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Thank God for Moms!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Yep, absolutely :) I knew I could always count on my mom’s help and support with any of my school work.

What’s amusing is that I remember my mom becoming perplexed, then gradually very irritated as she was trying to decode the mysteries of my “New English” textbook and muttering to herself that it didn’t make any sense to her either. LOL

PatriotGal2257 on May 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Excellent!!..Rest In Peace Mr. Donald Dunn!!..

Dire Straits on May 14, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Thanks for the laugh. I miss that show.

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Grazie, mio amore, for watching that. I thought that it was both funny and poignant. (Not sure anybody looked at it.)

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM

PatriotGal2257 on May 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

+ 100..Like I said.. Moms are beautiful!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Yes, the MSM will continue to shill for their man-child. However, I praise God that there are so many other sources of news and views these days. It wasn’t so awfully long ago that the alphabet nets were all people had.

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Thanks, it was a nice day. I hope your’s was nice also.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I don’t remember people going after contributors like this. I can’t think that the Dems will come out very well if this practice becomes normal. Lots and lots of 1% with guilty consciences and lots of crooks like the former governor of New Jersey.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Yeah, and the internet continues to put the MSM out of business, which is probably why the government is continuously trying to control the internet.

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I’ve been out most of the day. I did read the Mother’s Day post from earlier. Just wanted to say that I was so touched by some of the comments. The personal stories of love (and loss). Special post, that was.

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I hope you’re right. Good night, and Happy Mother’s Day to you.

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:34 AM

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on May 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Thanks, it was a nice day. I hope your’s was nice also.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM

It was fun and full of love, thanks. Forgive me if I’m mistaken, but were you the one that posted in the M’s Day thread that you lost both of your parents within days of each other?

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Thanks, sweet dreams everyone, I have to work tomorrow. My last full week until someone goes on vacation. I sure love the Obama economy.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I want to pen a quick reply, then I have to turn in for the night, but yes, I do remember method being emphasized over the correct answer in math. That was about as logical as the ill-advised “whole word” method of reading, which somehow was supposed to teach a child to read without using phonics to sound out letters and groups of letters. Also there was the attitude of “it doesn’t really matter how you spell a word, as long as it looks mostly correct.” I love that one./

And yeah, I don’t understand why public school teachers are so defensive about the public school system when it’s demonstrably substandard. Maybe they are too close to it and can’t see the forest for the trees?

PatriotGal2257 on May 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Yes, in 1995. Dad’s wasn’t a surprise but Mom’s knocked us for a loop.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I don’t mean to “pooh-pooh” Mother’s Day, but it is a “Hallmark Holiday” created solely to increase their profits.

I NEVER buy a card on Mother’s Day. I write a letter to my mom, including several things that I love about her. (BTW, she loves this tradition.)

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Well, good night everyone. Sweet dreams to all and I’ll see you all soon.

PatriotGal2257 on May 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I am so very sorry for that. (sending internet hugs to you!)

They must have been great parents. You’re a testament to their love and training-up of a kiddo.

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Later Cindy..Enjoyed it as always!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Goodnight, PatriotGal. Happy (belated) Mother’s Day!

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Teddy’s Daughter

I know why our President will lose the next election. People love seeing others get savaged and brought down. That would never happen to the present guy, no matter how hard he tries. The people have been noticing this.

The Repubs should make a commercial touting how we will all get to torment President Romney who has had it too good, anyway! Heck it is awkward to carp about the present guy since he is perfect and all he does is make excuses and blame everyone else. Makes you sick.

Remember Alice Roosevelt’s pillow? Embroidered on it in her living room was the words:

“If you can’t say something nice about someone, SIT RIGHT HERE!”

IlikedAUH2O on May 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Lol.

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM

You know, when people are speaking (and even writing on blog posts, because we’re just “chatting” here & I don’t consider it formal writing) things like ending sentences with prepositional phrases doesn’t bother me. I sometimes end sentences with prepositions when I’m speaking, but I still think with formal writing more care should be taken (and yes, in that specific sentence, the use of “with” twice was probably a lack of careful editing, which isn’t much of an excuse). I guess I haven’t evolved yet.

Sadly, you are correct, there is a lowered standard for English grammar these days. Sentences ending with prepositions, improper use of subjective & objective pronouns, dogs and cats living together. :-)

The worst one, IMO, is the improper use of the subjective “I” with a preposition instead of the objective (and proper) “me,” as in “This is between you and I.” It is like fingers on a chalk board (I actually even had trouble writing that just now). And it is everywhere — not just people making the mistake during informal conversation (which is bad enough and I have to bite my tongue not to correct them) but people saying it frequently on TV & in movies too, which means someone actually wrote a script like that and no one, not the writer, not however many people read the script before it was filmed, etc. was even aware of the mistake. It kills me. I will never, ever evolve into acceptance of that one.

Dark Star on May 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

PatriotGal2257 on May 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM

G’night, Patriot. Nice chatting staying on topic with you.

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:46 AM

*see, I meant to write “ending sentences with prepositions” in that first sentence above, not “ending sentences with prepositional phrases” right then. But we’re just chatting here. ;-)

Dark Star on May 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Good point about Hallmark, but as you demonstrate, we can celebrate it as we choose. And you have chosen an excellent and very personal way to observe the day. Good on you.

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM

“This is between you and I.” It is like fingers on a chalk board.

Dark Star on May 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Lol. (Biting lip) “I feel your pain.”

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I have three kids and luckily the grew up a block from the grandparents.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Dark Star on May 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Y’all stop, I’m bad enough about my proofreading and now I’m going to be paranoid about my grammar.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Dark Star on May 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I’m in total agreement. However, I will also admit to being one of the worst offenders on blogs, or when texting. I shouldn’t be so lazy about that, but I am.

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Plus, nobody wants to see a dangling participle. Well, maybe a few would enjoy that. ;)

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM

4Grace on May 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Yeah, I hated “Hallmark Holidays” from a young age.

It was obvious to me that they were trying to get me to (spend money) buy their products for no reason.

The girlfriends I’ve had have had mixed reactions to this view. A couple have totally understood, but more have been hurt. (Those hurt didn’t remember the romantic dinner I cooked for them on 2/10. They didn’t last long, either.)

I won’t be told to buy something. (Not even health insurance. F U!!!)

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 1:59 AM

it is getting late, and i don’t want to get too exited….but fwiw here’s Tammy Bruce’s take on barry going the gay route on us

He must realize it’s over and is now simply looking to establish his “legacy,” while reinforcing leftist relationships he desperately wants to keep–like with Hollywood–after we kick his ass to the curb. For an obsessed, cynical and narcissistic president like Obama, he only makes moves that serve his agenda one way or another–and the only upside to this exists out of the White House. Liberal gays will vote for him anyway, and 1 in 6 of his top bundlers have already raised $500,000+ for him. I believe he’s frantic to not have his legacy be the truth–one of disaster brought by narcissism and incompetence, he hopes this sort of story, covers like Newsweek, will be the thing that allows him to walk away at least within his liberal/leftist base as not a complete pariah.

Even more telling–throughout this conversation in the table next to us were a couple of gay men. When I declared my realization that Obama knew he was out, it was, well, a little louder than I would have liked. The two fellows next to us looked over, and as I expected some snarky remark back, they both just looked depressed and then down at their very French appetizers. They knew, too, that they were being played by Obama and that as gays we were all now being saddled with a gigantic “gay friendly” failure of a Preezy.

r keller on May 14, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I’m going to be paranoid about my grammar.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Sling it any way you like, Cindy.

You might remember that I didn’t like the necessity for folks to cow-tow to your opinion, a bit ago.

But, as far as grammar goes, SLING AWAY!!! (The grammar Nazis will all be shot, in short order.)

RedCrow on May 14, 2012 at 2:03 AM